PDA

View Full Version : The State of UMaine football

ccd494
December 12th, 2009, 11:38 AM
Big article today in the Bangor Daily News:

http://www.bangordailynews.com/detail/132692.html

Some highlights:

-“It is my expectation that football will continue as a component of the University of Maine, as it has been for more than a century,” said UMaine President Robert Kennedy. “Like all public institutions, we continue to face budget circumstances that require difficult decisions leading to new ways of accomplishing our broad-based mission, which includes providing a comprehensive student experience that is unique in Maine.”

-Football is expensive. UMaine’s budget for 2009-2010 is more than $3 million. That represents 19 percent of the entire athletic budget, which athletic director Blake James said is $15.5 million.

-This fall, UMaine averaged 4,631 fans for five home dates. Even with the Bears coming off an 8-5 season and a playoff appearance, 2009 represents the lowest turnout in at least 12 years

-UMaine has tied in the alumni’s financial backing with another key element of the program’s financial portfolio, a challenge matching grant to the football team by the Alfond Foundation. Each year, the foundation matches — dollar for dollar — whatever the alumni give to football.

-“The University of Maine is playing the highest level we’re ever going to play at. We could not be in a better conference,” Cosgrove said.

-During 2009-2010, there are 43 minorities, almost all of them black, on the 90-man roster. That represents almost one-third of the university’s black students. My note: this is a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge consideration. Of 8,500 students at the school, only about 130 are black. Cutting football would bring that number under 100. That would be completely unacceptable.

JMU DUUUKES LAW
December 12th, 2009, 12:46 PM
haha reassuring yourself that Miane isn't joining the recent dropouts?

I don't wish that fate on anybody. Cosgrove is a great coach and from what I can tell a good guy.

Hopefully the Maine fans step up in the attendance figures

3rd Coast Tiger
December 12th, 2009, 01:16 PM
I had a younger cousin (Peter LeBlanc) play football for the Black Bears in the late 90's and attended his football Senior Day and graduation. All I can say is that I thouroughly enjoyed my visit to Bangor, Maine. :D

Tim James
December 12th, 2009, 01:54 PM
I hope baseball doesn't get cut.

UNHFan99
December 12th, 2009, 02:42 PM
Baseball is very expensive when you consider maintaining the field and the travel costs for that team. I think they are both safe though.

Seawolf97
December 12th, 2009, 03:21 PM
I hope baseball doesn't get cut.

Dont even say that. The America East is already down to six teams. If we lose another one it would be ugly.

ccd494
December 12th, 2009, 03:26 PM
Baseball is very expensive when you consider maintaining the field and the travel costs for that team. I think they are both safe though.

Maine just installed artificial turf, the field isn't an issue. I don't see baseball going anywhere. For many years, that was Maine's best program, had a bunch of College World Series appearances.

Zangzigger
December 12th, 2009, 03:33 PM
I think every school is reconsidering if it is worth it. Rather than cutting the program, they should consider how to increase attendance at their games.

NHwildEcat
December 12th, 2009, 03:43 PM
My guess on the drop in attendance would be due to people having less money to spend in the economic situation....its not like Maine is a small state.

Wildcat80
December 12th, 2009, 07:16 PM
Nice article. Hope we boost your attendance in 2010. And still get a W. xsmiley_wix