PDA

View Full Version : UNC-Charlotte in 2013

Pages : [1] 2

kdinva
December 11th, 2009, 11:34 AM
UNCC will start in 2013, per a blurb on footballscoop.com

http://www.charlotte49ers.com/genrel/121109aab.html

Doesn't say if they will start off in 1-AA, but that usually is the way to go (USF, S.Alabama, etc.)

JMUNJ08
December 11th, 2009, 11:47 AM
Well, here we go. CAA? or SoCon? That elephant is getting bigger and would be harder to ignore if they come to the CAA...

OL FU
December 11th, 2009, 11:52 AM
Well, here we go. CAA? or SoCon? That elephant is getting bigger and would be harder to ignore if they come to the CAA...

I said in the other thread that I doubt the SoCon is interested without a long term commitment and I don't think that is available. I also don't think Charlotte wants to join SoCon basketball and am guessing the SoCon doesn't have an interest in a football affiliate.

So, CAA they are all yours.xthumbsupx

Redwyn
December 11th, 2009, 11:52 AM

If I was UNC Charlotte I'd choose a path that makes it as easy as possible to run to the playoffs so notoriety can increase in an already dense football landscape. I'd say Big South.

henfan
December 11th, 2009, 11:53 AM
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/college-football/story/1118278.html

Lots of steps remain before football launches
Construction, hiring coaches, recruiting, scheduling among tasks before 2013
By Ron Green Jr.
Posted: Friday, Dec. 11, 2009

...Then there's the question of scheduling, which is tied directly to conference affiliation. Charlotte is a member of the Atlantic 10, which does not have a football component.

For the foreseeable future, Charlotte will play in the Football Championship Subdivision, formerly known as Division I-AA. It's possible, Rose said, that Charlotte will not be in a football conference when it begins play in 2013, complicating the scheduling process.

“I'm having conversations about what we do with conference affiliation,” Rose said. “We're already behind the eight-ball in terms of scheduling.”

Rose said she expects to talk with Tom Yeager, commissioner of the Colonial Athletic Association, in the coming days about the possibility of joining the league for football. Two member schools – Northeastern and Hofstra – announced recently they will discontinue their football programs, potentially opening space in the league.

Georgia State has also expressed an interest in the league and would make a convenient travel partner for the Charlotte program...

OL FU
December 11th, 2009, 11:54 AM

That makes more sense than the SoCon. I may be dreaming but I don't think we want to open the door to football affiliates. xtwocentsx

henfan
December 11th, 2009, 11:57 AM
That makes more sense than the SoCon. I may be dreaming but I don't think we want to open the door to football affiliates. xtwocentsx

...or larger, state-sponsored institutions, if the SoCon's most recent expansion choices are any indication.xnodx

The Cats
December 11th, 2009, 12:05 PM
That makes more sense than the SoCon.

We certainly wouldn't want to open the door to another public school would we?

my xtwocentsx

Redwyn
December 11th, 2009, 12:05 PM

If the CAA adds yet another Southern school, I'd bet money that the conference as we see it would split instantly. Even with the Villanova/Delaware move north, you're looking at:

Richmond
JMU
Towson
Charlotte
Georgia State
Old Dominion
W&M

This would allow only 2 north division games a year. What's the point of having a conference if you're barely able to play half of it? Beyond this, with no NJ, NY school the distance all of the North Division sans Villanova/Delaware would have to travel to get the northern-most South school is ridiculous. It would be dead on unjustifiable. Let's not forget that to balance the divisions you'd need to add another North school, thus again starting arguments.

It's for this reason alone that I don't believe the CAA will risk its integrity and add another program. Charlotte I believe, esp since it's almost certainly I-A bound, will stop off for a bit in the Big South then move up when C-USA calls.

JMUNJ08
December 11th, 2009, 12:11 PM
If the CAA adds yet another Southern school, I'd bet money that the conference as we see it would split instantly. Even with the Villanova/Delaware move north, you're looking at:

Richmond
JMU
Towson
Charlotte
Georgia State
Old Dominion
W&M

This would allow only 2 north division games a year. What's the point of having a conference if you're barely able to play half of it? Beyond this, with no NJ, NY school the distance all of the North Division sans Villanova/Delaware would have to travel to get the northern-most South school is ridiculous. It would be dead on unjustifiable. Let's not forget that to balance the divisions you'd need to add another North school, thus again starting arguments.

It's for this reason alone that I don't believe the CAA will risk its integrity and add another program. Charlotte I believe, esp since it's almost certainly I-A bound, will stop off for a bit in the Big South then move up when C-USA calls.

They would be similar to Memphis the past few years in bball for C-USA and dominate for a few years in the Big South once they get up and rolling. But I hope your right. The A-10 / CAA affiliation is huge to ignore though. Hate to see this great thing ruined with 15 teams wanting to join. All we need now is VCU & George Mason and then POOF

OL FU
December 11th, 2009, 12:13 PM
...or larger, state-sponsored institutions, if the SoCon's most recent expansion choices are any indication.xnodx

That could be part of it, of course I think alot of that decision has been based on long term objectives of the schools. Much discussion on Jacksonville state and it is a chicken and egg argument over whether they decided to go FBS after the SoCon didn't pick them or the SoCon didn't pick them because they were going FBS.

PErsonally, I think with Charlotte it will be more their decision related to basketball affiliation. I doubt they want to lose the A-10 in basketball as well as doubt the SoCon's interest in affiliate members.

OL FU
December 11th, 2009, 12:15 PM
We certainly wouldn't want to open the door to another public school would we?

my xtwocentsx

Not one without a long term commitment, no.

Anybody that thinks it is a good idea to invite a school (like a GaState) that announces they are leaving before they join, isn't thinking:D

WestCoastAggie
December 11th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Another FCS team in the Carolinas. The pot for good players gets smaller i guess.

henfan
December 11th, 2009, 12:24 PM
If the CAA adds yet another Southern school, I'd bet money that the conference as we see it would split instantly.

I'm willing to accept that wager and I'll even give you 6-months to pay up from the date that Charlotte joins, assuming they join. If you're interessted, PM me and we'll discuss the terms of the wager.

BTW, I like Blue Point Brewery's beers.xsmiley_wix

The Cats
December 11th, 2009, 12:27 PM
UNCC will start in 2013, per a blurb on footballscoop.com

http://www.charlotte49ers.com/genrel/121109aab.html

Congratulations to all those at Charlotte that fought and made football possible, where ever they end up - CAA or Big South; FCS or FBS..... xthumbsupx

ronpayne
December 11th, 2009, 12:44 PM
I don't think they'll end up in the SOCON - but I don't care what league they play in, as long they'll actually play us. (Hear ye, hear ye, Duke and UNC)

ASU Tailgaiteer
December 11th, 2009, 12:58 PM
That could be part of it, of course I think alot of that decision has been based on long term objectives of the schools. Much discussion on Jacksonville state and it is a chicken and egg argument over whether they decided to go FBS after the SoCon didn't pick them or the SoCon didn't pick them because they were going FBS.

PErsonally, I think with Charlotte it will be more their decision related to basketball affiliation. I doubt they want to lose the A-10 in basketball as well as doubt the SoCon's interest in affiliate members.

The move to the A-10 has actually done very little for the basketball program and has to be putting a strain on the travel budgets of the entire athletic program.

Charlotte has no natural rivals in the A-10 (even in Conference USA, Cincinatti was the basketball rival) and with the exception of a few transplants who may have graduated from A-10 schools, there is no interest from the community in the A-10 in Charlotte. (few in Charlotte even know where Duquesne or St. Bonnie's is located)
At least with Conference USA, you had strong traditional programs like Marquette, Memphis and Louisville coming to play (along with the Cincy rivalry).

It would be best for Charlotte to go CAA in all sports and to develop rivalries with Ga. State and the Virginia Universities. I could even see this as an attractive landing spot for ASU and GSU in the coming years.

GannonFan
December 11th, 2009, 01:16 PM

Richmond
JMU
Towson
Charlotte
Georgia State
Old Dominion
W&M

I'm willing to accept that wager and I'll even give you 6-months to pay up from the date that Charlotte joins, assuming they join. If you're interessted, PM me and we'll discuss the terms of the wager.

BTW, I like Blue Point Brewery's beers.xsmiley_wix

Agree with HF - if Charlotte came into the CAA fold it wouldn't change a thing in terms of the CAA landscape or integrity of the league. Again, where is everyone going to go, and how many threads of UNH and Maine posters detailing how they struggle to get 3 OOC games scheduled, even now, will be enough for people to realize the Northern schools aren't going to quit the CAA and form their own conference?

OL FU
December 11th, 2009, 01:17 PM
The move to the A-10 has actually done very little for the basketball program and has to be putting a strain on the travel budgets of the entire athletic program.

Charlotte has no natural rivals in the A-10 (even in Conference USA, Cincinatti was the basketball rival) and with the exception of a few transplants who may have graduated from A-10 schools, there is no interest from the community in the A-10 in Charlotte. (few in Charlotte even know where Duquesne or St. Bonnie's is located)
At least with Conference USA, you had strong traditional programs like Marquette, Memphis and Louisville coming to play (along with the Cincy rivalry).

It would be best for Charlotte to go CAA in all sports and to develop rivalries with Ga. State and the Virginia Universities. I could even see this as an attractive landing spot for ASU and GSU in the coming years.

As you can tell, I know very little about basketball conferences. I would have no problem with them being a part of the SoCon if there was the commitment I spoke of.

AS far as GSU and ASU, I think if there is ever a move up of former FCS school creating a new conference or a conference moving up to FBS, it would certainly make sense. I don't know about simply a switch within the same sub-divison, but heck anything is possible.

ASU Tailgaiteer
December 11th, 2009, 01:27 PM
As you can tell, I know very little about basketball conferences. I would have no problem with them being a part of the SoCon if there was the commitment I spoke of.

AS far as GSU and ASU, I think if there is ever a move up of former FCS school creating a new conference or a conference moving up to FBS, it would certainly make sense. I don't know about simply a switch within the same sub-divison, but heck anything is possible.

First off, I am all for ASU staying in FCS long term (not knowing what the future holds for FCS). However, at some point the conference Championship streak will end. With the extra seats at the Rock to fill, unfortunately the second tier of the SoCon may not be attractive enough to fill the stadium. But, if we were playing schools that potentially travel well (JMU, ODU, Charlotte, Ga. State) it may make for a more attractive home schedule.
Additionally, the programs of the "CAA South" would be an upgrade to the basketball schedule and would probably be ASU's best chance to be included in a strong regional TV package.

Just thinking out loud at this point

Jackman
December 11th, 2009, 01:32 PM
Charlotte has no natural rivals in the A-10 (even in Conference USA, Cincinatti was the basketball rival) and with the exception of a few transplants who may have graduated from A-10 schools, there is no interest from the community in the A-10 in Charlotte. (few in Charlotte even know where Duquesne or St. Bonnie's is located) At least with Conference USA, you had strong traditional programs like Marquette, Memphis and Louisville coming to play (along with the Cincy rivalry).

Not really any choice for Charlotte, they were kicked out of CUSA for not having football, and Cincinnati, Louisville and Marquette left anyway. They don't have competition-based rivalries in the A10 because they generally haven't been competing for tournament spots since they arrived. Travel is about the same as what they would have had if they'd been allowed to stay in CUSA as it's currently configured.

If CAA Basketball could get an at-large bid more than once every 10 years, it would make more sense for a lot of us. Unfortunately, every conference membership list in this region is the result of a fire drill rather than long term planning.

ASU Tailgaiteer
December 11th, 2009, 01:40 PM
Not really any choice for Charlotte, they were kicked out of CUSA for not having football, and Cincinnati, Louisville and Marquette left anyway. They don't have competition-based rivalries in the A10 because they generally haven't been competing for tournament spots since they arrived. Travel is about the same as what they would have had if they'd been allowed to stay in CUSA as it's currently configured.

If CAA Basketball could get an at-large bid more than once every 10 years, it would make more sense for a lot of us. Unfortunately, every conference membership list in this region is the result of a fire drill rather than long term planning.

Good Points, and please don't think that I'm bashing the A-10 in basketball. There's just no interest (and a lack of a solid TV package to build that interest) in the league for the general public (especially in the middle of ACC country)

WestCoastAggie
December 11th, 2009, 01:53 PM
Good Points, and please don't think that I'm bashing the A-10 in basketball. There's just no interest (and a lack of a solid TV package to build that interest) in the league for the general public (especially in the middle of ACC country)

I would love to watch A-10 basketball. Their games should be on tv. There brand of basketball is way better than the SEC brand.

ur2k
December 11th, 2009, 02:02 PM

You conveniently left the strong traditional programs of the a10 out of that argument (Xavier, Dayton, St Joes, Temple, UMAss) and only mentioned the Bonnies and Duquense. xnonox

I'd say their failings on the hardwood lately have more to do with under performance than conference affiliation. Much like ours for a few years.

Jackman
December 11th, 2009, 02:04 PM
The A10 has a TV contract that actually prevents it from getting on TV due to poorly thought out terms. As the kids like to say these days, it is epic fail.

bostonspider
December 11th, 2009, 02:10 PM
Here is the 15K Seast FCS Stadium rendering...

http://i50.tinypic.com/xnf044.png

And then a few of what it would look like after expansion into a 40K Seat FBS Stadium..
http://i47.tinypic.com/f19z14.jpg

http://i50.tinypic.com/4h8ig3.jpg

http://i48.tinypic.com/16i8qo3.jpg

OL FU
December 11th, 2009, 02:21 PM
First off, I am all for ASU staying in FCS long term (not knowing what the future holds for FCS). However, at some point the conference Championship streak will end. With the extra seats at the Rock to fill, unfortunately the second tier of the SoCon may not be attractive enough to fill the stadium. But, if we were playing schools that potentially travel well (JMU, ODU, Charlotte, Ga. State) it may make for a more attractive home schedule.
Additionally, the programs of the "CAA South" would be an upgrade to the basketball schedule and would probably be ASU's best chance to be included in a strong regional TV package.

That makes some sense. Probably less for GSU than ASU since you guys are so close to the Va schools. But at the same time, I don't see GSU hanging around without you guys.

On the other hand, I think there will be a reorg of DI in the future with some sort of split between BCS and non BCS schools with the none BCS FBS schools getting more bowls or even playoffs. That should make moving up a little more palatable. IF that happens, you could see a lot of the southern CAA teams interested in that move (and ASU and GSU)

The Cats
December 11th, 2009, 02:46 PM
Not one without a long term commitment, no.

Anybody that thinks it is a good idea to invite a school (like a GaState) that announces they are leaving before they join, isn't thinking:D

Saying that is their goal (FBS) before they even field a team and actually doing it - is a much different matter. Of course we all know that OL FU is the only person on this board that is even actually capable of thinking. xcoffeex

WileECoyote06
December 11th, 2009, 03:15 PM
I wonder if the BOG will have the balls to vote down their student fee increase like they did to WSSU?

OL FU
December 11th, 2009, 03:24 PM
Saying that is their goal (FBS) before they even field a team and actually doing it - is a much different matter. Of course we all know that OL FU is the only person on this board that is even actually capable of thinking. xcoffeex

Doesn't matter if they can do it or not. Just my opinion that the SoCon should not take someone that says they are going to leave before they enter. Not a difficult concept to understand. On the other hand, I don't know what Charlotte has said, haven't paid attention.

If Greensboro said we are going to have football and move to FBS, that would be a different matter. Much like Ga State and the CAA.

OK my statement on not thinking was a little harsh. But I will say some that thinks the SoCon is should take someone who basically announces that they are leaving before they get here, is not thinking about the long term good of the conference.

molly
December 11th, 2009, 03:28 PM

The CAA got at-large bids 2 of the last 3 years: George Mason in 2006 and Old Dominion in 2007. I guess it remains to be seen if that's an aberration.

AppAlum2003
December 11th, 2009, 03:31 PM
Fantastic... I wonder if they'll be as annoying as Georgia State fans before they even get a win on the football field.

Redbird Ray
December 11th, 2009, 03:31 PM
Would a school like UNCC really want to stay in FCS for more than two or three years? They seem to fit the ever-increasing profile of large, urban, state sponsored universities who recently have started up football, and are in markets that are two big for FCS (USF, UCF, UAB, FAU, FIU.....UTSA, USA, GSU, ODU(possibly)).

I really don't think it matters which FCS conference, if any, they choose to join because I don't think they would want to lose A-10 hoops until they make a FBS move, and even then, they may opt for a football only deal.

Unless there are plans for a new FBS league created out of various Southern/Eastern FCS programs, I just don't see UNCC sticking around FCS for too long, and I wouldn't be surprised if they just stayed Indy for a few years before moving up to FBS.

ronpayne
December 11th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Would a school like UNCC really want to stay in FCS for more than two or three years? They seem to fit the ever-increasing profile of large, urban, state sponsored universities who recently have started up football, and are in markets that are two big for FCS (USF, UCF, UAB, FAU, FIU.....UTSA, USA, GSU, ODU(possibly)).

I really don't think it matters which FCS conference, if any, they choose to join because I don't think they would want to lose A-10 hoops until they make a FBS move, and even then, they may opt for a football only deal.

Unless there are plans for a new FBS league created out of various Southern/Eastern FCS programs, I just don't see UNCC sticking around FCS for too long, and I wouldn't be surprised if they just stayed Indy for a few years before moving up to FBS.

As much as I would love for them to join one of our conferences (CAA, SOCON), I think this is probably a very accurate assessment, unless CAA or SOCON officials pretty much agree on short term deals.

Having said that, I'd be suprised if UNCC would ever be able really compete beyond a CUSA level - I don't see them, at least in the near future, putting resources into it to become FBS. I thinkn their best course of action would be to go FCS 100% and commit to being successful there, and then re-evaluate in 10-15 years. We'll see though.

ThompsonThe
December 11th, 2009, 04:46 PM

Have you ever even gone to Boone? The things you are saying doesn't even sound germaine to what's being expressed.

How do you know that Charlotte "travels well" in football? They have never had football. They are as much a commuter college as anything.
ASU would never consider going into the CAA. Never. Not going to happen.

I personally do not care if we ever play them. Would rather play some well established football schools like JMU and Delaware, but not Georgia State and UNCC.

Not all the people associated with them trying to get football even believe it's a good idea.

Certainly would not want a school that only wants to use the conference as a stepping stone. Just like Georgia State has been saying that they want ever since they announced that they were going to play football. They have worked on getting any type of football program going since 1964, and could not even sell close to what their initial PSLs were.

They had about 150 people attend their big campus wide ralley for football. Lot of enthusiasm for football there. I live in Charlotte. Talked with many kids going to school there. Have not heard one be enthusiastic about football yet. They have more things to do in Charlotte than go to football games most of them say.

Let them spend all their money on travel for all their sports. They believe just because they have football that billions of dollars will be donated to them and millions will want to go see their football program.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 11th, 2009, 06:14 PM
There has already been quite a bit of anti-GaStU sentiment over on the CAAZone in terms of them playing football in the CAA Football League because of their stated intentions of going FBS. But they are an all sports member so there isn't much choice, they have to be admitted. I'd never be in favor of adding a school knowing full well they were only using the league as a stepping stone.

To me, if the CAA Football League adds Charlotte, it will be interesting to see if they come on board as an all sports member. If they do come on board, then I have to think that the CAA is going to evolve into two football leagues. There's no way enough of the remaining ten members would result into the type of league that JMU, ODU Charlotte and GaStU probably hope evolves; therefore, Charlotte could springboard a CAA "Higher Aspirations" with larger public institutions from the SE that become a new home for App State and GaSoU. You could easily fill this league with other large, public SE schools and have a viable league. (East Carolina, Jax St, Marshall, Middle TN, WKU, etc.).

If Charlotte was truly content with FCS, might it springboard the creation of a new A-10 football league (UMass, URI, Charlotte, Richmond, and Fordham) except that would have been a lot easier had Northeastern and Hofstra still had programs! xoopsx Still something about Charlotte just doesn't fit there. Richmond as a city is Southern but they enroll a lot of Northern kids and a lot of alumni work and live in the North. Charlotte, I don't think so. I have a problem visualizing this being the reason for Charlotte to start football. xrotatehx

If my CAA Higher Aspirations did evolve, then a CAA "Modest Aspirations" could also evolve from Delaware, Towson, W&M, Richmond, Maine, UNH, Albany, Stony Brook, UMass, URI, CCSU and Villanova.

I just hope that some evolution of conference alignment occurs before we lose any more programs!! Some kind of merger between the CAA and America East to put football and non-football schools together and exemptions from the NCAA to establish AQs would be a good start. BTW, you really can't play this conference re-alignment game unless you keep basketball and the AQ's in mind. (My friend Henfan would chastise me if I didn't stayed grounded in that reality. ;) :p)

*** I know most posters here assume Delaware would go with the higher aspiration group, but from my time here reading about UD, I don't think they'd want to be part of that SE Public alignment for multiple reasons (geographic, historical, academic standards for athletes, etc.).

WileECoyote06
December 11th, 2009, 06:50 PM
The Board of Governors voted WSSU down when they asked for a athletic fee increase to support their Division I move. I highly doubt they are going to be gung-ho about a steep increase to support ONE sport. If they do, then WSSU fans should riot.

Charlotte area has Clarice Cato Goodyear (whos father was a booster) and Franklin McCain (NC A & T; one of the Greensboro Four) representing it on the BOG. I think this thing is going to be dead in the water. xcoffeex

ronpayne
December 11th, 2009, 07:16 PM
The Board of Governors voted WSSU down when they asked for a athletic fee increase to support their Division I move. I highly doubt they are going to be gung-ho about a steep increase to support ONE sport. If they do, then WSSU fans should riot.

Charlotte area has Clarice Cato Goodyear (whos father was a booster) and Franklin McCain (NC A & T; one of the Greensboro Four) representing it on the BOG. I think this thing is going to be dead in the water. xcoffeex

One of my initial reactions was wondering if the BoT just passed it so the BOG could vote it down, and they could go "Well, we tried our bestxsmiley_wix"....

ASU_Fanatic
December 11th, 2009, 07:57 PM
Go 'Niners..I live like 45mins from Charlotte so I'll be pulling except when they play App.

ThompsonThe
December 11th, 2009, 10:27 PM
I believe that UNCC originally was turned off by not being desired in conferences because they didn't play football. So this has a dual purpose, kind of like WKU did, of it helping their basketball program.
They have clearly stated that they do not want to stay FCS any longer than they have to stay.
It has been many years since their basketball program has done much, so I can see their logic. Sounds like a perfect fit for the CAA.

ASU Tailgaiteer
December 11th, 2009, 10:34 PM
You conveniently left the strong traditional programs of the a10 out of that argument (Xavier, Dayton, St Joes, Temple, UMAss) and only mentioned the Bonnies and Duquense. xnonox

I'd say their failings on the hardwood lately have more to do with under performance than conference affiliation. Much like ours for a few years.

I conveniently left them out because the average Charlottean does watch TV (and UMass and Dayton pretty much describe where they are) Regardless, they are still not "draws" in response to someone saying, "Oh Temple's in town, I should drive across town to watch them play."

Check out Charlotte's attendance record since they left C-USA. (Yes, I know that the program has been down in performance). Simply speaking, A "CAA South" regional conference has better appeal for both TV and fanbase support.

ThompsonThe
December 11th, 2009, 10:52 PM
You used to hear a lot more about UNCC basketball in Charlotte. Not so much the last few years.
They should have got a lot of money together and gone after Buzz Peterson. I am glad that Appalachian got him, and I believe that the team has improved already, but next year will kick some butt.
UNCC basketball needs a spark. Like winning, and playing teams that people in Charlotte can identify with more.

ASU Tailgaiteer
December 11th, 2009, 10:59 PM
Have you ever even gone to Boone? The things you are saying doesn't even sound germaine to what's being expressed.. Yeah, I've been to Boone.....and excuse me to having an opinion that may be different (although I don't think it is in the big picture)

How do you know that Charlotte "travels well" in football? They have never had football. They are as much a commuter college as anything. .. I said Charlotte could "potentially" travel well. Who do you see traveling better in 2016, a school like Samford or The Citadel or a school like Charlotte that's graduating 5K to 6K a year and has a huge alumni base, many who reside in the Carolinas.

ASU would never consider going into the CAA. Never. Not going to happen. .. and TCU will never be in the Mountain West, St. Louis in the A-10 or BC in the ACC. College Sports is about $$$ and TV, it's sad to say, but it's true. (ask the Cincinatti football players) Those factors could make anything happen.........but, again, excuse me for offering an alternative discussion.

I personally do not care if we ever play them. Would rather play some well established football schools like JMU and Delaware, but not Georgia State and UNCC

Not all the people associated with them trying to get football even believe it's a good idea.

Certainly would not want a school that only wants to use the conference as a stepping stone. Just like Georgia State has been saying that they want ever since they announced that they were going to play football. They have worked on getting any type of football program going since 1964, and could not even sell close to what their initial PSLs were.

They had about 150 people attend their big campus wide ralley for football. Lot of enthusiasm for football there. I live in Charlotte. Talked with many kids going to school there. Have not heard one be enthusiastic about football yet. They have more things to do in Charlotte than go to football games most of them say.

Let them spend all their money on travel for all their sports. They believe just because they have football that billions of dollars will be donated to them and millions will want to go see their football program.

I appreciate your opinion, your entitled to one. BTW, I live near Charlotte as well.

Face it, it's the alumni (with jobs, $$$, and retirement time) that are more likely to travel than the students and it's the alumni that will help fill the stadium in Charlotte. (Also, their PSL program was void of any realistic payment plan and had to endure the struggling economy that we all have been in the midst of)

Actually, your last statement is what really throws me.

Football for UNC Charlotte:
1. An opportunity to bond their "commuter campus" by bringing the excitement of football. In essence a sense of community.
2. Allows them to have a homecoming week that is not in the middle of basketball season.
3. Allows their alumni (and that's what it's partially about) the opportunity to tailgate and attend the great Saturday football experience that AGS is all about.
4. Allows their athletic program to get out of their current "purgatory" situation that landed them in the A-10 in the first place

Cocky
December 12th, 2009, 08:27 AM

I don't believe the higher ups at JSU want in the SOCON. They did before we went to the OVC but not recently. They do not view the SOCON as a step up but a sideways move. But if our intentions were to stay FCS it might have been viewed different. The BOT has had aspirations of moving for quite awhile so no need to swap conferences.

dukie
December 12th, 2009, 08:36 AM
Why Charlotte would join any other conference than the CAA is beyond me. The A10 only has four large public universities none of which are in the south region of the country. UR is the only other southern school and as pointed out here, their student body is 85% northern kids.

The So Con is mostly smaller private universities. Again, not a good fit for Charlotte.

The CAA has GMU, ODU, VCU and GSU. They all are larger urban state universities. VCU was with UNCC in the old Metro conference years ago.

IMO, Charlotte's problem is two fold. They have demonstrated a lack of loyalty to any league outwardly displaying their own selfish desires to be something more than they actually are. Secondly, they think their name is larger than it really is. Charlotte had some basketball success just as JMU once did but are no more recognized in the public eye these days than George Washington. These days VCU, OCU and GMU are more nationally recognized at least no worse recognized, than Charlotte.

Today, Charlotte sure seems like more of a fit in the CAA than in the A10 but will their arrogance lead them to continue to search for the Holy Grail that probably will never happen for them?

WileECoyote06
December 12th, 2009, 09:37 AM
Like I said, they plan on paying for the stadium through the increase in student fees. The BOG is gonna tell them no.

Charlotte's current athletic fee is $445 per student and they want to add $300; bringing the total to $745 per student.

WSSU's fee was 579; and they requested it be moved to $760 per student. Not much of a difference.

Touchdown Yosef
December 12th, 2009, 09:51 AM
Charlotte isn't going to the Socon without a commitment to FCS. Personally I would love to see them in the Socon, it would make a great natural rivalry and I could drive down the road as oposed to 2 hours for an App game. Charlotte has big dreams but nothing is set in reality.

They think they will dominate recruiting and instantly be the best in FCS. Reality is they have no tradition and don't realize how hard it is to recruit in NC regardless of if your school is in Charlotte.

Money: They think they will have donations flowing in but in reality they can't sell their self imposed minimum of seat licenses by their self imposed deadline that has long since passed. Student fees will have to be their real source of income in a city that doesn't care about their school and with a 20k+ plus student base, a huge local population and alumni base that can't put 8k in the seats to watch a basketball game.

FBS: The fans honestly believe that the big east is just waiting for Charlotte to add football and then they will be begging Charlotte to join. Charlotte first has to prove they can be relevent in their home town before they command and interest from any conference. Conference USA is thrown around quite loosely but CUSA is not exactly begging FCS jumpers to join. They don't want unproven programs that could end up a bottom feeder. Basketball does help their cause but doesn't guarantee anything at all. Fact is they would be Sun Belt bound. No natural rivals, travel costs through the roof and its no step up for basketball it might be a step down.

Charlotte will be entering the same world as Appalachian without any experience. They have big dreams but Charlotte doesn't see the reality. Under the current structure of FBS it holds no real appeal in terms of national prominence for an east coast school. In my opinion Charlotte would be better off in FCS and staying in FCS and FCS would be better for it. I would love to see them in the Socon not just for football but for basketball and baseball as well. Good luck Charlotte but your big dreams aren't based in reality but who knows anything can happen.

jmufan999
December 12th, 2009, 10:42 AM

Richmond
JMU
Towson
Charlotte
Georgia State
Old Dominion
W&M

this is one of the most sensible posts i've seen on this site for quite some time. nicely done.

Zangzigger
December 12th, 2009, 11:23 AM
I wish the best for Charlotte.

3PeatNation
December 12th, 2009, 11:43 AM
i believe charlotte may come to the socon i doubt the CAA needs another team in the south

Touchdown Yosef
December 12th, 2009, 12:20 PM
i believe charlotte may come to the socon i doubt the CAA needs another team in the south

No, not without a long term commitment. I'm pretty sure the Socon has already gone on record saying they won't make UNCC a member.

whoanellie
December 12th, 2009, 01:59 PM

Just thinking out loud at this point it's going to take a while for these commuter school's to develop a following to travel. However these school's can show like ODU 20k average this year to make a home and home and to attract some decent guarantees.... with N'eastrn and Hofstra folding and also ETSU still
smelling up this area...let's all support FCS growth.

49RFootballNow
December 12th, 2009, 02:14 PM
Seems like a nice place around here. Hello

ronpayne
December 12th, 2009, 02:27 PM

Welcome and congrats! We'd love to hear some input from the UNCC folks themselves, so com'on in, pull up a chair, and have a beer with us :-)

Jackman
December 12th, 2009, 02:44 PM
What's the point of having a conference if you're barely able to play half of it?

It actually has two big benefits:
1. Having more members diffuses the administrative costs of operating a football league by spreading them out among a greater number of members. For example, many FCS conferences cancelled their Media Days this year to save money, but the CAA held theirs in part because it costs each individual member of the CAA less money than the individual members of, say, the SoCon.

2. It puts the league in a better position to negotiate for TV exposure. Many FCS conferences are essentially paying networks to put their games on TV by guaranteeing the production costs or eating the cost of producing the games themselves. The CAA is one of the few FCS conferences if not the only one which just sits back, lets Comcast do all the work, and then accepts a (small) payment for the right to broadcast its games. To the extent anyone can hope to make money selling commercial time during FCS football games, a 12 to 14 member CAA gives you a huge selection of East Coast markets. If you break the league into two halves, they'll be bidding against each other for air time on the same networks, each with half as much market penetration to offer. They'd probably both end up in the same position as most other conferences, having to pay for TV exposure.

The conventional wisdom with respect to FBS and men's basketball conference politics doesn't apply here. There are no $100 million TV contracts or lucrative bowl game prizes to divvy up. The FCS postseason generally loses money, like all the other sports except men's basketball and FBS. At this level, adding more and more teams to the conference is better because they're not diluting our profits, they're diluting our losses (or providing us with critical mass to avoid losses on TV). And because football season is so short, we don't have to worry about playing all the far away members, even if we expand to 20 teams. In fact, conventional thinking is really backwards: the more teams we invite to CAA Football, the less traveling we're likely to do, because there will be fewer and fewer inter-divisional games as each division becomes larger. And we don't have to play any of these teams in other sports, because it's a football-only conference. The normal thinking doesn't apply.

The one and only downside to this arrangement is if one half of the conference is shut out of the playoffs due to not having an autobid. But that hasn't happened recently, and with the playoff field expanding it's even less likely to happen in the future. So I say, bring in Charlotte, and add one of the New York area teams too to replace Hofstra. Why leave any major population centers on the east coast untouched? Take them all. Until we actually have some profits to divide up, this only helps us.

BlackNGold
December 12th, 2009, 02:49 PM

UNC Charlotte Open with ASU in '13 at Panthers Stadium =D ?

Touchdown Yosef
December 12th, 2009, 10:49 PM

Welcome to the board as an almost football team. Glad to see some Charlotte folks on here.

SoCon48
December 12th, 2009, 11:16 PM
it's going to take a while for these commuter school's to develop a following to travel. However these school's can show like ODU 20k average this year to make a home and home and to attract some decent guarantees.... with N'eastrn and Hofstra folding and also ETSU still
smelling up this area...let's all support FCS growth.

WN, once they get established they will draw great in Charlotte, win or lose. Too, they have the potential to get a money game in Panther Stadium even after they build their own digs.

SoCon48
December 12th, 2009, 11:17 PM

You're probably right, Rob.

mountaineer_dax
December 12th, 2009, 11:39 PM
Welcome and congrats! We'd love to hear some input from the UNCC folks themselves, so com'on in, pull up a chair, and have a beer with us :-)

Might want to start calling them Charlotte. Athletically they dropped the UNCC a long time ago now. So it is now just the Charlotte 49ers.

Future Charlotte fans will come in here complaining about that immediately.

mountaineer_dax
December 12th, 2009, 11:56 PM
You used to hear a lot more about UNCC basketball in Charlotte. Not so much the last few years.
They should have got a lot of money together and gone after Buzz Peterson. I am glad that Appalachian got him, and I believe that the team has improved already, but next year will kick some butt.
UNCC basketball needs a spark. Like winning, and playing teams that people in Charlotte can identify with more.

Charlotte's basketball program is 8-1 currently with their only loss to Duke and the absolutely mauled Louisville in freedom hall.

Buzz is mediocre at best. He jumped ship immediately after he got to the tourney at App and then hasn't done a single thing since. Out of the 11 seasons he has coached he's only been to the tourney once. Bobby Lutz has had great teams over the last couple of years on paper but injuries and transfers has left him scratching his head. Out of the 11 seasons Bobby has coached he's danced 5 times and won 2 games. Bobby is a MUCH better fit than Buzz. To even think that Buzz would have gone to Charlotte is nothing but a JOKE. App had to pay off his mortgage in Charlotte, buy buzz a house in Boone and they had to pretty much beg to get him back up here.

49RFootballNow
December 13th, 2009, 01:08 AM
Welcome to the board as an almost football team. Glad to see some Charlotte folks on here.

Thankyou.

Might want to start calling them Charlotte. Athletically they dropped the UNCC a long time ago now. So it is now just the Charlotte 49ers.

This is true! We hate our slave name but we don't have to use our slave name abreviation anymore.xthumbsupx

Um.........we're not interested in having an App. St. home game in our own city. We'll wait to build our support up before borrowing BoA Stadium for an App/Char game. More then happy to climb the mountain for a game though.

I'll go ahead and answer a few of the typical questions other teams' fans usually have:

No, we can't play at Memorial Stadium. It's no where near FCS standards. The city doesn't want to pay to upgrade it, or even half the bill with us. They want us to invest the money and they get to keep ownership (not that we wanted to own it!). It also is too far for our students to go to (they're paying a good part of the bill). It doesn't get the community to come to campus, which doesn't help people tie themselves to the entire U.

No, we can't use BoA Stadium. We don't want 15, 20, 30 or even 40,000 49ers fans in a mostly empty cavern. The Richardsons (not the city/county) own it, so even if we were in a BCS conference BoA would still be too expensive for us, plus we'd have to schedule around the Panthers.

Our AD will be speaking with the commissioner of the CAA soon. CAA is the home of most A10 FCS programs and like LastMinuteMan has already posted, they like having a large conference. SoCon only wants full members and we're not leaving the A10 (multi tourney bids, we're dominating A10 outdoor sports). The Big South commissioner basically said they're not a halfway house for future FBS teams so that's not a real option either.

Our stated plan is "FBS as soon as possible". Perfectly vague mumbo-jumbo PC talk you'd expect from most college administrators. The move up will depend on our sponsors wishes and community support. They've done extensive economic studies and the current FCS model doesn't work well for us long-term, so as long as we can keep our 15,000 seat stadium full I'd expect us to move up within a decade. We didn't like what happened to us in 2003 (ACC expansion) and that, as much as fans getting organized, have pushed this forward.

We plan to hire a coach before July 2011, I'd expect that to be several months sooner.

We are currently converting former public areas of Halton Arena to serve as temporary football offices till the Field House is built.

Stadium/Field House construction should start in late Spring 2011.

You can view our stadium pictures here:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2251710&id=36611644&l=a9f2dc7f9a

Touchdown Yosef
December 13th, 2009, 07:38 AM
Thankyou.

This is true! We hate our slave name but we don't have to use our slave name abreviation anymore.xthumbsupx

Um.........we're not interested in having an App. St. home game in our own city. We'll wait to build our support up before borrowing BoA Stadium for an App/Char game. More then happy to climb the mountain for a game though.

I'll go ahead and answer a few of the typical questions other teams' fans usually have:

No, we can't play at Memorial Stadium. It's no where near FCS standards. The city doesn't want to pay to upgrade it, or even half the bill with us. They want us to invest the money and they get to keep ownership (not that we wanted to own it!). It also is too far for our students to go to (they're paying a good part of the bill). It doesn't get the community to come to campus, which doesn't help people tie themselves to the entire U.

No, we can't use BoA Stadium. We don't want 15, 20, 30 or even 40,000 49ers fans in a mostly empty cavern. The Richardsons (not the city/county) own it, so even if we were in a BCS conference BoA would still be too expensive for us, plus we'd have to schedule around the Panthers.

Our AD will be speaking with the commissioner of the CAA soon. CAA is the home of most A10 FCS programs and like LastMinuteMan has already posted, they like having a large conference. SoCon only wants full members and we're not leaving the A10 (multi tourney bids, we're dominating A10 outdoor sports). The Big South commissioner basically said they're not a halfway house for future FBS teams so that's not a real option either.

Our stated plan is "FBS as soon as possible". Perfectly vague mumbo-jumbo PC talk you'd expect from most college administrators. The move up will depend on our sponsors wishes and community support. They've done extensive economic studies and the current FCS model doesn't work well for us long-term, so as long as we can keep our 15,000 seat stadium full I'd expect us to move up within a decade. We didn't like what happened to us in 2003 (ACC expansion) and that, as much as fans getting organized, have pushed this forward.

We plan to hire a coach before July 2011, I'd expect that to be several months sooner.

We are currently converting former public areas of Halton Arena to serve as temporary football offices till the Field House is built.

Great start with a first post. I have heard Charlotte alum throw around Mike Minter left and right, do you think Charlotte will put him in charge?

tractorapp
December 13th, 2009, 07:53 AM
I'm excited for you 49R. I think this will be a huge positive for your University. I hope that App, Charlotte, Georgia Southern, Georgia State, ECU, Marshall, ODU. UAB and Central Florida can somehow hook up around 2015 and form a new conference. That would be strong with lots of passionate fans and some ready made rivalries.

moss2k
December 13th, 2009, 10:40 AM
Thankyou.

well, since 49R beat me to the punch on everything, haha.

Yes, we've heard Minter thrown around as having potential interest in our HC job. Right now he's coaching a private school in Charlotte, so maybe he's trying to get his feet wet.

We need a solid name to come in and help with recruiting right off the bat. Minter obviously offers that, but doesn't have much experience. Tom Knotts, Independence's HC has been tossed around by some on our board as well as someone our FANS might have an interest.

Looking forward to discussing football with you guys more...feels good to say that xbeerchugx

mountaineer_dax
December 13th, 2009, 10:48 AM
well, since 49R beat me to the punch on everything, haha.

Yes, we've heard Minter thrown around as having potential interest in our HC job. Right now he's coaching a private school in Charlotte, so maybe he's trying to get his feet wet.

We need a solid name to come in and help with recruiting right off the bat. Minter obviously offers that, but doesn't have much experience. Tom Knotts, Independence's HC has been tossed around by some on our board as well as someone our FANS might have an interest.

Looking forward to discussing football with you guys more...feels good to say that xbeerchugx

Welcome to the board moss. How are things on NNN?

moss2k
December 13th, 2009, 01:08 PM
Welcome to the board moss. How are things on NNN?

things are good as of now. Winning cures all I suppose. If we drop 2 out of three to either ODU, Ga Tech or Tennessee, the board will prob implode as usual.

mountaineer_dax
December 13th, 2009, 01:17 PM
things are good as of now. Winning cures all I suppose. If we drop 2 out of three to either ODU, Ga Tech or Tennessee, the board will prob implode as usual.

That is one thing I do not miss about that message board. Is harris alright?

ASU_Fanatic
December 13th, 2009, 01:45 PM
I'm excited for you 49R. I think this will be a huge positive for your University. I hope that App, Charlotte, Georgia Southern, Georgia State, ECU, Marshall, ODU. UAB and Central Florida can somehow hook up around 2015 and form a new conference. That would be strong with lots of passionate fans and some ready made rivalries.
That would be sick. But would it be FBS or FCS?

ASU_Fanatic
December 13th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Oh, and glad to have some 'Niner fans on here!

DSUrocks07
December 13th, 2009, 02:49 PM

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h188/Charlottedude/SlaveNameClear.png
Website (http://www.universityofcharlotte.net/)

apaladin
December 13th, 2009, 04:52 PM

That would be great. Just think, the champion would get to play a 6-6 team from the MAC on a Tuesday night on ESPNU. Who wouldn't get excited about that!!!xcoffeexxlolxxnodx

DFW HOYA
December 13th, 2009, 05:05 PM
That would be great. Just think, the champion would get to play a 6-6 team from the MAC on a Tuesday night on ESPNU. Who wouldn't get excited about that!!!xcoffeexxlolxxnodx

Given some of the low attendance numbers in the playoffs outside Montana or App, who knows?

DSUrocks07
December 13th, 2009, 05:09 PM

xeyebrowx

Are you saying that it would be a BAD conference?

MasonJar
December 13th, 2009, 06:27 PM

UNC-Concrete? xcoffeex

They don't qualify for SoCon. Not small enough, not private.

xgiveadamnx

MasonJar
December 13th, 2009, 06:42 PM

UNCC needs a better coach (although Lutz is a great guy) and/or players with more basketball smarts. Seems UNCC has a lot of horses in their stable on a fairly consistent basis, but they never seem to gel and produce.

As for Buzz... Buzz is as Buzz does. I like the guy and he has done some good things, especially before leaving ASU the first time. We will see where his heart is in a couple of years. Does he want to accomplish and maintain something bigger than himself (a la Coach Moore), or is it all about the Buzz? I have a feeling we will have another in the line of Capel coaches...

OL FU
December 14th, 2009, 05:35 AM
I don't believe the higher ups at JSU want in the SOCON. They did before we went to the OVC but not recently. They do not view the SOCON as a step up but a sideways move. But if our intentions were to stay FCS it might have been viewed different. The BOT has had aspirations of moving for quite awhile so no need to swap conferences.

I am quite sure you are more familiar with it than me. xnodx All I got is message board chatter:oxlolx

moss2k
December 14th, 2009, 07:20 AM
UNCC needs a better coach (although Lutz is a great guy) and/or players with more basketball smarts. Seems UNCC has a lot of horses in their stable on a fairly consistent basis, but they never seem to gel and produce.

As for Buzz... Buzz is as Buzz does. I like the guy and he has done some good things, especially before leaving ASU the first time. We will see where his heart is in a couple of years. Does he want to accomplish and maintain something bigger than himself (a la Coach Moore), or is it all about the Buzz? I have a feeling we will have another in the line of Capel coaches...

The last few years Charlotte hasn't had the talent level we had in the past. We're much more talented this year and it shows with us being 8-1.

ronpayne
December 14th, 2009, 08:32 AM
UNC-Concrete? xcoffeex

By your standards, AppState doesn't qualify for the Socon. Bring'm on!

49RFootballNow
December 14th, 2009, 08:53 AM
UNC-Concrete? xcoffeex

xgiveadamnx

UNC Concrete? WOW! Welcome back from the 1970's. It's been thirty years since then. You've missed a lot.

http://www.coe.uncc.edu/~rcox3/images/scitecC.jpg
http://images.businessweek.com/ss/07/10/1017_innovative_universities/image/10-800px-unccnewquad.jpg
http://www.facilitiesonline.com/editorschoiceimg/Halton_EC.jpg
http://designcharlotte.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/uncc-entrance1.jpg

OL FU
December 14th, 2009, 09:03 AM
Nice looking buildings 49rxthumbsupx

WileECoyote06
December 14th, 2009, 09:05 AM
The last few years Charlotte hasn't had the talent level we had in the past. We're much more talented this year and it shows with us being 8-1.

Is Briscoe eligible this year; or does he have to sit out?

moss2k
December 14th, 2009, 09:14 AM
Is Briscoe eligible this year; or does he have to sit out?

Briscoe is sitting out this year, and paying his own way. He will be on scholarship next year.

Feel free to give a good break down on his game. Would like to get a review from an "outisde" source.

WileECoyote06
December 14th, 2009, 09:35 AM
Briscoe is sitting out this year, and paying his own way. He will be on scholarship next year.

Feel free to give a good break down on his game. Would like to get a review from an "outisde" source.

He will be a productive player for the 9ers. He's quick, got a great first step, and can blow by most defenders because he's small. He will put it in the basket and finish drives. He can be a defensive liability against bigger guards though.

It ain't his game you have to worry about, it's his family members. xwhistlex

I wish you him the best of luck though.

moss2k
December 14th, 2009, 09:40 AM
UNC-Concrete? xcoffeex

xgiveadamnx

UNC-Concrete? Lame, come drive through campus, it's obvious you haven't been here in at least 5 years.

49RFootballNow
December 14th, 2009, 09:45 AM
Nice looking buildings 49rxthumbsupx

Thanks! Wish I could take credit for it.

OL FU
December 14th, 2009, 11:02 AM
Thanks! Wish I could take credit for it.

Furman looks nice too but I don't think my small contributions built our buildings either. Still proud thoughxnodx

moss2k
December 14th, 2009, 11:10 AM
He will be a productive player for the 9ers. He's quick, got a great first step, and can blow by most defenders because he's small. He will put it in the basket and finish drives. He can be a defensive liability against bigger guards though.

Thanks WileE. Our teams are accustomed to having undersized guards, so it shouldn't be a big chance for our team.

whoanellie
December 14th, 2009, 01:06 PM
trail seems to obvious that 49'rs plan a SunBelt route as longer term plan as they are late to the dance and will follow the Florida commuter schools to join up w/ those athletic powers.
plus Troy and UAB add a Ga State and one could make a decent conference. if they qualify? they will need a leader (name) to be a face of the program. how about a Bowden?

mountaineer_dax
December 14th, 2009, 01:18 PM

What do you mean by that?

moss2k
December 14th, 2009, 01:25 PM
Not sure we could pull in a Bowden. It will definitely be interesting to see what names pop up on our radar (that are actually feasible). Looking to have our coach by 2011. 2011 is also when construction will begin for our stadium.

WileECoyote06
December 14th, 2009, 01:29 PM
What do you mean by that?

YOu see the whistle icon right?

mountaineer_dax
December 14th, 2009, 01:44 PM
YOu see the whistle icon right?

Yeah get it now.

Appinator
December 14th, 2009, 02:37 PM
At what point will the actual dollars start to flow in? It sounds like they are still light years away from being able to put together a financially sound plan:

Here's the problem: The community hasn't been interested enough to put up much money. Of $45 million UNCC originally said it hoped to raise to build a stadium, it has raised only $5.6 million. A year ago it aimed to sell 5,000 seat licenses in six months. A year later it has sold only 3,200. It hoped to reap millions in corporate donations. Beyond $3.96 million in seat license sales, its trustees have committed $1.6 million. And that's pretty much it.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/opinion/story/1120527.html

49RFootballNow
December 14th, 2009, 03:07 PM
At what point will the actual dollars start to flow in? It sounds like they are still light years away from being able to put together a financially sound plan:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/opinion/story/1120527.html

$5.6 million dollars is AWESOME in this economy and the turn around isn't decades away. The Chapel Hill Disturber is a gutter trash rag and you're best off not using it a reference source.

WileECoyote06
December 14th, 2009, 03:15 PM
Like I said, I don't think the BOG is going to approve the student fee increase. Especially if it's increasing it by $320 instead of $200. A precedent has already been set.

Appinator
December 14th, 2009, 03:42 PM
$5.6 million dollars is AWESOME in this economy and the turn around isn't decades away. The Chapel Hill Disturber is a gutter trash rag and you're best off not using it a reference source.

Just because someone has a discerning opinion, doesn't mean they are wrong.

Actually they have had a number of "homer" articles in the past year on the subject, looking past the financials and saying this needs to happen. Even on the front page right now, Sorensen has an article FOR the FB program:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/breaking/story/1124435.html

I remember being part of a Charlotte media panel several years ago. We were asked whether the 49ers would ever get football. There were about 10 of us, many of them proponents of the school, and I was the only one who said yes.

Not sure who the other panel members were, but I am sure it wasn't all Observer sports columnist.

Sorensen is saying that even with the poor economy, little fund raising, and high expectations, they should move along with the project. As an outsider, it just looks like a terrible time to ask this of your alumni and city, but his point is that he thinks that there will never be a "good time" and that they should keep pressing.

Frankly, it sounds like all of the UNCC people are like kids who clammer for something little now, when they should wait for something bigger and better later on. It's too bad they can't learn from the Troy's, FIU's, FAU's, Marshall's, and etc. and find a better way to build a better program.

49RFootballNow
December 14th, 2009, 04:40 PM
You sound like the people he mentions in the article that have good advice for us that doesn't help us one bit. We have 5.6 million dollars in the bank in this economy. Our Chancellor has already floated this idea past the BoG in meetings last month and got nothing negative back on it but many positive. The precedent is that Chapel Hill is also asking for the same debt service fee increase to pay for the new expansion to Kenan and comparing tiny WSSU imposing a $567 fee on its small enrollment with us (the students) overwhelmingly voting to increase our fees by less than $50 a semester per year is an apples to apricots comparison.

In its efforts to join Division I since its application in 2005, WSSU nearly doubled its athletics budget, added four more sports, expanded the number of scholarships available to athletes, and joined the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference (MEAC), a prominent athletics league for historically black colleges. However, a $6 million defecit during its transition and a projected $15 million defecit by 2012 proved too much for the institution. According to the Chronicle, the WSSU athletics revenue lagged far behind its expenses largely because of the department's dependence on student fees. While the fee of $579 per student is among the largest in the University of North Carolina system, it is one of the lowest in the MEAC. In February, the state university system's Board of Governors rejected a proposal to increase the fees

http://www.knightcommission.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=329:sept-14-2009-winston-salem-state-to-rejoin-ncaa-division-ii&catid=1:content&Itemid=11

I'm willing to bet our Board of Trustees and Chancellor aren't idiots and wouldn't have floated this plan if they weren't already in posession of a priliminary GO from the BoG. Do you think they'll tell Chapel Hill no? Do you think they'll want the political s***storm that telling them yes and us no would bring? It's a sound economic plan and the BoG has supported similar plans throughout the system on numerous projects before.

Just because someone has a discerning opinion, doesn't mean they are wrong.

And I will listen to and respect opinions that at the very least are based on facts, not feelings, and have signatures attached. No one at the Observer Editorial Staff will claim this and since we helped get Mary Schulken fired none of them will claim any of the others. I will say that despite the horrendous lack of coverage the O Sports Page gives the Niners, it is the one bright spot as far as being rational about our football efforts.

I always try to follow the maxim, "Don't say what you won't claim". No one at the O, since Mary, has claimed they're anti-UNC Charlotte bias, because if we could point them out they'd be ashamed of their filth.

WileECoyote06
December 14th, 2009, 06:44 PM
The students at WSSU also supported the fee increase. Charlotte students supported the increase in athletic fees, but were they asked if they would be willing to pay for a new stadium? The $50 fee to which you refer is only for the first year, and that is for program maintenance. The debt service fee will kick in an additional $50 to $55 starting in 2010 and increasing as 2013-2014 gets closer.

Option #1 (also known as plan C)
What would it do: Build a permanent field house, while renting temporary bleachers, restrooms and concessions area for near future
How much would it cost: $800,000 in annual rental fees
What would students pay: $200 athletics fee increase, to be phased in $50 increments starting in fall 2010; no debt service fee
Advantages/Disadvantages: Might allow football to start on original goal of 2013 and wouldn't require debt service fee to build facilities. But plan would require more aggressive fundraising to build a $12-$13 million field house and the cost to replace intramural fields (about $4-6 million)
Option #2 (plan D)
What would it do: Build a permanent field house, restrooms and concessions area while renting temporary bleachers
How much would it cost: $600,000 in rental fees, plus $25 million construction debt bill
What would students pay: $200 athletics fee increase, to be phased in $50 increments starting in fall 2010; $74 annual debt service fee starting in 2010-11
Advantages/Disadvantages: Eliminates annual rental fee for restrooms, concessions area, improves game-day experience for fans, and also could allow 2013 start date. But students would be asked to pay new fee
Option #3 (plan E)
What would it do: Build a permanent stadium, field house, restrooms and concessions area
How much would it cost: $40.5 million in construction debt
What would students pay: $120 annual debt service fee starting in fall 2010; $200 athletics fee increase to be phased in $50 increments starting in fall 2011
Advantages/Disadvantages: Eliminates uncertainty about starting football, as well as any rental costs. Lets campus take advantage of low construction, interest rates. But would impose higher fee on students and could influence some donors that private fundraising no longer necessary
Option #4 (plan F)
What would it do: Put football plans on hold for three years
Advantages/Disadvantages: Would give economy more time to cover, and the university longer to raise money and avoid extra student fees in tough economy. But could diminish public belief that university is serious about football and depress support among current and potential donors
Source: Chancellor Phil Dubois

Charlotte's proposed increase of $320 (currently $477) after five years would give them the highest athletic fees in the system. The difference between Charlotte and UNC-Chapel Hill is that UNC's athletic department operation is funded by an endowment; thus their student fees for athletics is already lower than Charlotte's. I'm not a fan of their debt service plan either, but their student fees are the second lowest in the system.

BTW, I'm not against Charlotte 49er football. I don't think that a stadium should be put on the backs of your students (and their parents). It's a fairness issue. Is WSSU no less deserving to run their athletic program as they see fit? Apparently the BOG didn't feel they should put their athletic transition on the backs of their students and I hope they maintain their position.

"In these times, it's really hard to raise tuition, because we know that families are suffering, that they're hurting, and we want to keep this university accessible and affordable," Bowles said.

At WSSU, in-state tuition will go up by 4 percent, to $1,769 for a full-time undergraduate. The athletics fee, however, will remain the same, at $579 for a full-time student -- and that will make it difficult for the school to close a $1.5 million deficit in its athletics budget. If the school can't raise money for athletics some other way, it will be much tougher for the school to meet the standards that the NCAA requires of Division I programs.

. . . .

WSSU officials had proposed keeping tuition the same in 2009-10 but raising the athletics fee by 31 percent. If that proposal had been approved, the athletics fee would have been $760 for each full-time student, the highest in the UNC system.

But Bowles and the board balked at WSSU's proposal, saying that the increase was too steep. Rather, the board approved a tuition increase, money that will go mainly toward financial aid and academics, rather than athletics. - WS Journal, Feb 14, 2009

49RFootballNow
December 14th, 2009, 09:06 PM
If we voted for it, and I did and I pay student fees and I have purchased FSLs, then it’s an internal decision and Erskine Bowles has already said he would support Chancellor Dubois's decision on the matter. It is a $50 dollar per semester fee increase and as we have another service debt fee coming off in the middle of this the total fee increase for the students will be less than $200 which is in line with what ECU gets for its football program in student fees. Our total student fees for athletics at that time will be in the $670 range and will hit that range in another 5 years without football to continue to subsidize a program that would struggle without football. Considering that we are projected to add an additional 10 to 15,000 students over the next 10 years that fee, per student, will lower considerably within THIS decade. I wasn't asked if I wanted to pay for a new Student Union but they charged me $150 in student fees for it and I'm fine with that because I realize that Student Union, like fooball, will help my U long term and bring greater recognition and increased value to my degree. Bowles and the BoG will pass it in February and that will be the end of the discussion. Our Chancellor avoids conflict as much as possible. If he had even a slight apprehension about bringing this to the BoG he wouldn't do it. We'd be on Plan F now.

Anyone, or their parents who pay, that don't want to pay the extra fee for this and still get one of the cheapest quality college educations in the nation, can head on down the road to UNC Asheville or Greenville, they don't play football yet and we can use the classroom space.

Ninerballin
December 14th, 2009, 10:38 PM
UNC-Concrete? xcoffeex

xgiveadamnx

I think you should step out of Boone, NC and make your own comments on what you see, instead of taking the monikers of the little girls at Davidson.

Ninerballin
December 14th, 2009, 10:46 PM

I believe Bobby Lutz is 8-1 this year. What's Buzz's record this year? 5-4?

Funny how you App fans talk about our basketball program, when you can't even draw 2,000 fans in Boone. Your last coach had to put tarps over the upper level of the Holmes Center so it didn't look so empty all the time.

2 NCAA Tournament appearances, we've been more to that this decade, even with the bad stretch we had over the last 4 years.

We'll never go to the SoCon, because they aren't even close to the A-10 in basketball. I doubt we ever go All Sports to the CAA either, unless a few teams from the A-10 go over for All Sports.

mountaineer_dax
December 14th, 2009, 10:47 PM
I believe Bobby Lutz is 8-1 this year. What's Buzz's record this year? 5-4?

Funny how you App fans talk about our basketball program, when you can't even draw 2,000 fans in Boone. Your last coach had to put tarps over the upper level of the Holmes Center so it didn't look so empty all the time.

2 NCAA Tournament appearances, we've been more to that this decade, even with the bad stretch we had over the last 4 years.

Haha one of the games we barely had 500 . Official attendance at the winthrop game was 1292 or something like that. I can vouche there were not even remotely that many in attendance.

How've you been ballin?

Ninerballin
December 15th, 2009, 12:38 AM
Haha one of the games we barely had 500 . Official attendance at the winthrop game was 1292 or something like that. I can vouche there were not even remotely that many in attendance.

How've you been ballin?

Pretty good man, how about you?

mountaineer_dax
December 15th, 2009, 06:27 AM
Pretty good man, how about you?

I've neen decent. Still a little bummed Apps lost to the griz. But it pretty much was an epic battle. But it does help the eagles are in first place right now!!! Charlotte bball is off to a good start so everything must be going great for you guys right now.

Dane96
December 15th, 2009, 08:22 AM
Are we on a football board or a hoops board?

That said...it is good to see another football program come on board. Charlotte has the potential to do some nice things...but unless they have a Big East bid...they should stick to FCS.

mountaineer_dax
December 15th, 2009, 08:28 AM
Are we on a football board or a hoops board?

That said...it is good to see another football program come on board. Charlotte has the potential to do some nice things...but unless they have a Big East bid...they should stick to FCS.

Apparently the big 10 is going to start the realignment in 2011 (I think that is when the year they are opening it back up). They want a championship game so they need to add another team. Knowing that, I assume Pitt will be there leading candidate because it is a major market and they are in their region.

So that opens up another Big East team. I feel ECU would be stupid to go because they are enjoying the success of dominating their conference in all sports except basketball.

Plus the Big East has had their eye on the Charlotte market for a while. Which started with the Big East v ACC bowl game. It would also give them a buffer zone between Florida and DC.

In my honest opinion Charlotte would have been taken by the Big East in the last realignment if they had football. Now that football is pretty much a go it only makes sense that they would eventually be playing in the Big East. Unless by chance the A10 for some reason brings back football. But I honestly don't see that happening anytime soon (or better yet ever).

BlackNGold
December 15th, 2009, 09:10 AM
Basketball is only fun to watch during that last few minutes of the game. The Rest of it.... ZzZzZzZzZzZzZzZz....... Wake up b/c fallin out of seat........ Go Back to ZzZzZzZzZzZzZz....... Watch the end of game......

mountaineer_dax
December 15th, 2009, 09:16 AM
Basketball is only fun to watch during that last few minutes of the game. The Rest of it.... ZzZzZzZzZzZzZzZz....... Wake up b/c fallin out of seat........ Go Back to ZzZzZzZzZzZzZz....... Watch the end of game......

Kind of like nascar and golf.

metro49er
December 15th, 2009, 10:26 AM
first post here on this board so I'll start off kind :D

App and Charlotte should be brothers not foes. Both of us are fighting the monopolizing UNC system and evil ones in Chapel Hill. All this UNC-Concrete stuff is ridiculous (more like UNC Brick). Check out pics attached. If you say that, then you haven't been there in 20 years. Anyways, I think App's campus is quite nice too.

As for the App fan or two quoting the Charlotte Observer editorial board...yikes!! Thats like using Roy Williams as a source on how to ignore hecklers.

The intended amount to raise by this Dec was 5 million. We raised 5.6m. The cost of our stadium will be 45m (but that was not the intent to raise) which will be paid via bond debt. Its the exact same thing Keenan Stadium is doing for renovation work in Chapel Hill for 50m.

these notions that "its the wrong time" are silly...the economy is cyclical and 4-5 years from now will be on fire just at the right time. If we wait until then to do this, we will be starting football in the NEXT RECESSION.

Last, USF and Charlotte were mirror images of one another and conference brothers for 25 years in the Sun Belt, Metro, and CUSA...they went all in at the right time and we puckered, this time we won't. No long are we "the largest public school in the NCAA without football" and the next step is name change to University of Charlotte

http://www.northcarolina.edu/campus_profiles/img/profiles/uncc/uncc-3.jpg

http://www.northcarolina.edu/campus_profiles/img/profiles/uncc/uncc-5.jpg

http://education.uncc.edu/access/images/home%20page%20pictures/building_web.jpg

http://www.publicrelations.uncc.edu/resources/images/campus_large/SAC%20&%20Library%20Plaza%202009.jpg

http://www.publicrelations.uncc.edu/resources/images/campus_large/H&HS,%20ED%20&%20SAC%20Quad.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3287/2972545724_959828c2f4.jpg

DFW HOYA
December 15th, 2009, 10:37 AM
In my honest opinion Charlotte would have been taken by the Big East in the last realignment if they had football. Now that football is pretty much a go it only makes sense that they would eventually be playing in the Big East.

Then? No way. Now? Not in the top ten.

metro49er
December 15th, 2009, 11:00 AM

pretty arrogant...

Charlotte and USF were virtually the same school for 30 yrs in the Sun Belt, Metro, and CUSA together

they stepped out on a limb and we "looked into" it in 1997...they gambled right

If USF got in, Charlotte could have, especially with a top 40 hoops program

Appinator
December 15th, 2009, 11:02 AM
All of this just comes back around to the perceived arrogance that it seems most UNCC fans have.

"We don't have the money, but we're Charlotte, we have to get football."

"We won't be in this I-AA of FCS crap for long, we are seconds away from being picked up by the Big East because we have an amazing basketball team."

"UNC is a crappy FB team and they get additions to Kenan, it's not fair if we don't get something too."

I am not saying this is how every single fan is, but for the majority that I have talked to, it sure seems that way.

These football programs that are represented not only on this board but in amazing local conferences like the SoCon and CAA have not been around for decades, but for over a century (in NAIA, Division II, or even full Division I participation before the split). IF you actaully do field a team, you would be absolutely blessed to become part of these conferences, instead of sitting in independent purgatory while you wonder why you can't win any games.

The real fact of the matter is the influx of students the UNC system will incure during the next decade will flood an already crowded Raliegh-Chaple Hill area with even more students. App physically can't grow that much more, neither can Western, and ECU is begining to reach an NCSU like status that they would like to stay at. They don't want to make UNC like Tennessee or Texas. The UNC system has been pouring money into UNCC the last decade to account for these extra students, and in the end, they deserve a top flight athletic program if it can be sustainable.

As much as I hate having my heart tore out like I did on Saturday night by Montana, as weird as it might sound, you have to feel worse for a school that doesn't even have the opportunity set foot on the field. It just sucks that there will be no other state in the Union which will have more D-I football programs than North Carolina other than Texas with this addition. It just makes it that much more difficult for everyone to succeed.

So my point is this, if you do get a program, be proud to be part of FCS, even if it will be a short stay. This is the land of the playoffs, Walter Payton, Jerry Rice, where we do things the right way. You can still "dominate" in B-ball (MVC, CAA, and sometimes the SoCon).

I will welcome you to FCS, but let you know you will have a tough road to plow if you plan on coming up the mountain for competition.

metro49er
December 15th, 2009, 11:09 AM
All of this just comes back around to the perceived arrogance that it seems most UNCC fans have.

"We don't have the money, but we're Charlotte, we have to get football."

"We won't be in this I-AA of FCS crap for long, we are seconds away from being picked up by the Big East because we have an amazing basketball team."

"UNC is a crappy FB team and they get additions to Kenan, it's not fair if we don't get something too."

I am not saying this is how every single fan is, but for the majority that I have talked to, it sure seems that way.

These football programs that are represented not only on this board but in amazing local conferences like the SoCon and CAA have not been around for decades, but for over a century (in NAIA, Division II, or even full Division I participation before the split). IF you actaully do field a team, you would be absolutely blessed to become part of these conferences, instead of sitting in independent purgatory while you wonder why you can't win any games.

The real fact of the matter is the influx of students the UNC system will incure during the next decade will flood an already crowded Raliegh-Chaple Hill area with even more students. App physically can't grow that much more, neither can Western, and ECU is begining to reach an NCSU like status that they would like to stay at. They don't want to make UNC like Tennessee or Texas. The UNC system has been pouring money into UNCC the last decade to account for these extra students, and in the end, they deserve a top flight athletic program if it can be sustainable.

As much as I hate having my heart tore out like I did on Saturday night by Montana, as weird as it might sound, you have to feel worse for a school that doesn't even have the opportunity set foot on the field. It just sucks that there will be no other state in the Union which will have more D-I football programs than North Carolina other than Texas with this addition. It just makes it that much more difficult for everyone to succeed.

So my point is this, if you do get a program, be proud to be part of FCS, even if it will be a short stay. This is the land of the playoffs, Walter Payton, Jerry Rice, where we do things the right way. You can still "dominate" in B-ball (MVC, CAA, and sometimes the SoCon).

I will welcome you to FCS, but let you know you will have a tough road to plow if you plan on coming up the mountain for competition.

Charlotte fans don't look down on 1AA at all, but should it not be ASU and Charlotte's goal to be 1A?

And you may not want to talk about it, but hoops plays a integral part of this whole equation. We have had a top 50 RPI hoops team for the last 15 years consistently (last yr was brutal). So being in a 1AA conference like the Southern or Big South will hurt our hoops. We are kind of in tough spot...we will have 32,000 students in 10 yrs, that would be awfully large for 1AA (sorry I refuse to say FCS)

As for UNC...yeah I hate them and so should any ASU grad. xpeacex

Dukie95
December 15th, 2009, 11:31 AM
Charlotte fans don't look down on 1AA at all, but should it not be ASU and Charlotte's goal to be 1A?

People that look down on I-AA say things like that. xsmiley_wix I've heard Georgia State fans say the same thing.

Actually, many appreciate being exactly where we are. Unless you're in a BCS conference and are among the handful of teams that will even sniff an opportunity for a national title each year, your regular season is meaningless as you work to play in crappy exhibitions games.

There is no natural upgrade progression as if I-AA is a farm system for I-A conferences. Just because a school can make the jump, doesn't mean they either should or would want to.

moss2k
December 15th, 2009, 11:44 AM
I don't consider the FCS crap and most knowledgeable fans won't either. I'm looking forward to getting started there and to see where our conference affiliation will be. Seems more so that it will be CAA, but time will tell.

Yes, it's obvious Charlotte's plan is to use our time in FCS to launch us to FBS, with BCS aspirations. At this point BCS is a pipe dream to me. I'm just ready for things to fall into place and see where we end up in FCS.

DFW HOYA
December 15th, 2009, 11:55 AM
pretty arrogant...

Charlotte and USF were virtually the same school for 30 yrs in the Sun Belt, Metro, and CUSA together

they stepped out on a limb and we "looked into" it in 1997...they gambled right

If USF got in, Charlotte could have, especially with a top 40 hoops program

Not trying to be arrogant at all. Here were the ten candidates five years ago that didn't get selected, and I would argue are still ahead of Charlotte: Memphis, East Carolina, Army, Navy, Temple, Central Florida, Marshall, Buffalo, Massachusetts, and Ohio.

(FWIW--Villanova and Georgetown are not exactly welcome by other Big East schools over BCS strength of schedule issues, but they still would be considered ahead of Charlotte.)

moss2k
December 15th, 2009, 12:11 PM
Temple's been kicked out of the BE already. No offense to Army & Navy, but are you kidding me?

Charlotte has a big TV market that I'm sure the BE would like to tap into.

catdaddy2402
December 15th, 2009, 12:25 PM
A big TV market that's owned by the ACC

WileECoyote06
December 15th, 2009, 12:27 PM

Seeing as they picked up DePaul and Marquette (for some strange reason), I don't think Charlotte was a top pick. All three programs are historic basketball powerhouses.

bandit
December 15th, 2009, 12:35 PM
Not trying to be arrogant at all. Here were the ten candidates five years ago that didn't get selected, and I would argue are still ahead of Charlotte: Memphis, East Carolina, Army, Navy, Temple, Central Florida, Marshall, Buffalo, Massachusetts, and Ohio.

(FWIW--Villanova and Georgetown are not exactly welcome by other Big East schools over BCS strength of schedule issues, but they still would be considered ahead of Charlotte.)

Marshall is not a serious candidate, nor is Ohio U or Buffalo. UMASS would have to obviously make a huge financial commitment and there is no indication that they are interested in doing that. Army and Navy have already said thanks but no thanks to a BE football affiliation. That leaves Memphis, ECU, Temple and UCF as viable candidates.

IF (and it's obviously a big IF) Charlotte can get their program up and running, the BE might very well see an opportunity for lightning to strike twice. They took a huge gamble on USF and it paid off beyond anyone's expectations. From a location standpoint, Charlotte couldn't be more ideal for the BE.

That said, with the Big 10 rumbling about expansion, and several BE schools being potential targets, I would imagine that the BE will need to expand sooner rather than later, which would eliminate Charlotte. But who knows what the landscape will look like 10 years down the road.... Charlotte may very well have a shot at BE membership, but one thing is certain - - if they don't make the move up and prepare themselves for whatever opportunities might be available, then they have ZERO chance.

I'm looking forward to seeing what happens with Charlotte, hope they have lots of success.

moss2k
December 15th, 2009, 12:42 PM
Marshall is not a serious candidate, nor is Ohio U or Buffalo. UMASS would have to obviously make a huge financial commitment and there is no indication that they are interested in doing that. Army and Navy have already said thanks but no thanks to a BE football affiliation. That leaves Memphis, ECU, Temple and UCF as viable candidates.

IF (and it's obviously a big IF) Charlotte can get their program up and running, the BE might very well see an opportunity for lightning to strike twice. They took a huge gamble on USF and it paid off beyond anyone's expectations. From a location standpoint, Charlotte couldn't be more ideal for the BE.

That said, with the Big 10 rumbling about expansion, and several BE schools being potential targets, I would imagine that the BE will need to expand sooner rather than later, which would eliminate Charlotte. But who knows what the landscape will look like 10 years down the road.... Charlotte may very well have a shot at BE membership, but one thing is certain - - if they don't make the move up and prepare themselves for whatever opportunities might be available, then they have ZERO chance.

I'm looking forward to seeing what happens with Charlotte, hope they have lots of success.

We're hoping that the Big 10 expansion doesn't occur too quickly, if it does, the dominoes for the next conference alignment will fall before Charlotte is ready.

Dane96
December 15th, 2009, 12:46 PM
Temple's been kicked out of the BE already. No offense to Army & Navy, but are you kidding me?

Gotta agree with this, DFW HOYA.

I honestly think that Memphis, UCF, FIU (if they ever got strong), ECU and Charlotte would be in the pecking order...and UMASS if the school ever had $$ and UCONN was ok with it.

mountaineer_dax
December 15th, 2009, 12:51 PM
Seeing as they picked up DePaul and Marquette (for some strange reason), I don't think Charlotte was a top pick. All three programs are historic basketball powerhouses.

Charlotte has been to a final four how are they not "historic"

Charlotte sits right in the middle of the ACC country. That would perfect match for them. More exposure over the local teams. Sounds pretty sound to me.

WileECoyote06
December 15th, 2009, 12:57 PM
Charlotte has been to a final four how are they not "historic"

Charlotte sits right in the middle of the ACC country. That would perfect match for them. More exposure over the local teams. Sounds pretty sound to me.

I said 'three' programs. xeyebrowx

mountaineer_dax
December 15th, 2009, 12:58 PM
I said 'three' programs. xeyebrowx

Sorry i just got out of a really stressful exam I didn't read your post thoroughly. My fault.

metro49er
December 15th, 2009, 12:59 PM
How do you know that Charlotte "travels well" in football? They have never had football. They are as much a commuter college as anything.
ASU would never consider going into the CAA. Never. Not going to happen.

I personally do not care if we ever play them. Would rather play some well established football schools like JMU and Delaware, but not Georgia State and UNCC.

we are 76th in NCAA D1 hoops attendance, out of 347 teams. Where is App hoops in that regard?

our student population is going to be 30,000 by 2017

I think we will travel quite well regionally, and I think you underestimate the grassroots effort that took place. Lay off the hateraide.

In regards to your "not everyone supports it".....well yeah thats the case with anything. Not everyone likes chocolate but we don't get rid of it.
poll of 1000 Observer readers, 88% if favor: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/breaking/story/1124435.html

oh and a unanimous vote on it from our trustees....the only ones hating on football are berkenstock wearing professors

moss2k
December 15th, 2009, 01:06 PM
per Andy Katz @ ESPN, the Big 10 will have a presser at 4pm to discuss how it plans on going about exploring expansion and the timetable.

moss2k
December 15th, 2009, 01:10 PM
ESPN article on the Big 10 expansion: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=4745381

Dane96
December 15th, 2009, 01:11 PM
Gotta think the BEAST tumble may start....

Look for the Football schools to break-off...and get enough teams to make a BE title game.

They need to keep their current members.

49RFootballNow
December 15th, 2009, 02:03 PM
Charlotte isn't in the Big East because we:

A) Didn't have FBS Football
B) Aren't a Catholic School
C) Aren't a Private School
D) Have more than 15,000 students
E) All of the above

ronpayne
December 15th, 2009, 02:46 PM
we are 76th in NCAA D1 hoops attendance, out of 347 teams. Where is App hoops in that regard?

per the NCAA (http://www.ncaa.org/wps/ncaa?key=/ncaa/ncaa/sports+and+championship/general+information/stats/m+basketball/attendance/index2.html)

Rank---team---# of games----total----avg
85. ----Charlotte---15-------92,763---6,184

[NR] App State-----14------32,841----2,346

I just had to look :-) What was the point of these stats again?

49RFootballNow
December 15th, 2009, 03:08 PM
per the NCAA (http://www.ncaa.org/wps/ncaa?key=/ncaa/ncaa/sports+and+championship/general+information/stats/m+basketball/attendance/index2.html)

I believe Metro was trying to demonstrate that our basketball program, though it has struggled since moving to the A10, is still well in the top 1/4th in attendance for NCAA Div I both in total attendance and percentage of arena capacity. Our "empty" basketball arena is often claimed to be a reason we shouldn't persue football when it's no where near empty, does better than a good portion of BCS conference teams in attendance for basketball that EASILY fill their much larger football stadiums, and football attendance has no coorelation to basketball attendance or visa verus.

moss2k
December 15th, 2009, 03:09 PM

This was posted as Charlotte was labeled a commuter school and would not travel well. Last year was a down year for our basketball program and our little ole commuter school was still 85th in attendance, drawing more than double what ASU did.

No one can say how we will travel for football, as we are not playing yet. I have a feeling that we're travel fairly well when the time comes. People have been waiting a VERY long time for this, so turnout should be pretty good on the road.

ASU_Fanatic
December 15th, 2009, 03:09 PM
Ha, our bball fans suck.

DFW HOYA
December 15th, 2009, 03:10 PM
Charlotte isn't in the Big East because we:

D) Have more than 15,000 students

Ten of the 16 Big East schools have 15,000 or more: Connecticut, Cincinnati, DePaul, Louisville, Pitt, Rutgers, St. John's, South Florida, Syracuse, West Virginia.

49RFootballNow
December 15th, 2009, 03:15 PM
Ten of the 16 Big East schools have 15,000 or more: Connecticut, Cincinnati, DePaul, Louisville, Pitt, Rutgers, St. John's, South Florida, Syracuse, West Virginia.

And the two that aren't FBS playing public institutions ARE catholic schools.

My point is that the large public schools in the BE play FBS football and that the schools that don't are smaller and private.

Charlotte, currently, doesn't fit either category.

ASU_Fanatic
December 15th, 2009, 03:15 PM
They're not in the Big East cause they don't want to get their a whooped. Lets put it at that. Louisville was a fluke cause Louisville didn't even have their player.

49RFootballNow
December 15th, 2009, 03:24 PM
They're not in the Big East cause they don't want to get their a whooped. Lets put it at that. Louisville was a fluke cause Louisville didn't even have their player.

We own a winning record against Louisville and one of our best players was also on the bench.

DFW HOYA
December 15th, 2009, 03:30 PM
And the two that aren't FBS playing public institutions ARE catholic schools.

My point is that the large public schools in the BE play FBS football and that the schools that don't are smaller and private.

A ppint of clarification: all six public schools in the Big East play football.

As for private schools, DePaul (25,072) and St. John's (20,069) are larger than Syracuse (19,084) and do not play football. Marquette (11,542) is about the same size as Notre Dame (11,773) and the Warriors don't play either.

metro49er
December 15th, 2009, 03:59 PM
the Appinator fella said we don't support our sports, I apologize for being wrong. We were 76th the prior yr 2008, and slipped to 85th in 2009

moss2k
December 15th, 2009, 06:26 PM
here's an article with some more insight into where Charlotte currently stands in the process. Mentions Charlotte's AD will be in touch with the CAA Commissioner to discuss our potential conference affiliation.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/story/1118278.html

metro49er
December 15th, 2009, 09:08 PM
thats odd, in CUSA with UL, Cincy, Memphis, Marquette, Depaul, etc we won multiple conf titles

our all time record vs UL is 17-15...

what else??? xcoffeex

again, why the hate from ASU?

Hooner49
December 15th, 2009, 09:09 PM
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h188/Charlottedude/SlaveNameClear.png
Website (http://www.universityofcharlotte.net/)

We made that last year in preparation of a student vote for a name change. The push has been put on hold in awe of football coming.

I'm anxious to find out what our conference affiliation will be.

ThompsonThe
December 16th, 2009, 06:45 AM
Charlotte's basketball program is 8-1 currently with their only loss to Duke and the absolutely mauled Louisville in freedom hall.

Buzz is mediocre at best. He jumped ship immediately after he got to the tourney at App and then hasn't done a single thing since. Out of the 11 seasons he has coached he's only been to the tourney once. Bobby Lutz has had great teams over the last couple of years on paper but injuries and transfers has left him scratching his head. Out of the 11 seasons Bobby has coached he's danced 5 times and won 2 games. Bobby is a MUCH better fit than Buzz. To even think that Buzz would have gone to Charlotte is nothing but a JOKE. App had to pay off his mortgage in Charlotte, buy buzz a house in Boone and they had to pretty much beg to get him back up here.

Take that moniker off your name. You are not a Mountaineer. Must be a UNCC 49er.

metro49er
December 16th, 2009, 07:01 AM
I always have like App St, rooted for your football, and liked their fans in person, but this message board is making you guys look like douchebag central.

App's strength is obviously 1AA football domination. Charlotte's strength has been higher level of basketball, golf in the top 5, baseball top 25, etc.

Charlotte wants and needs football, but it can't go backwards in other sports by joining an all sports league like the Big South. The last 15 years, we have been in conferences with high majors like UL, Cincy, Temple, Xavier, Memphis, USF, etc. Therefore we must keep our olympic sports at that level, and that is the crux of the football conference argument.

We respect 1AA tremendously, better than what we have now, but it is not our long term goal. And there is nothing wrong with that, nor arrogant.

49RFootballNow
December 16th, 2009, 07:16 AM
Back on topic. We'll play FCS football as long as it’s viable for us to do so, but we've already crunched the numbers (ad nauseium) and a CUSA FBS level program has the best chance of positive return for us. Like the city of Charlotte or hate it, the city won't embrace a FCS team. If we stay FCS, football becomes little more than an alumni/student benefit, which is great in itself; but doesn't help us to achieve the University's strategic goals. Perhaps someone with more knowledge on the topic can chime in, but I can't think of any public/FCS institutions with 25,000+ enrollments.

henfan
December 16th, 2009, 07:36 AM
We respect 1AA tremendously...

...As evidenced by the use of extinct divisional nomenclature? Come on, 'I-AA' is so 2007. One very basic sign of respect is paying enough attention to at least get the name right.

Hate to bust stones but acronyms apparently do matter to Charlotte (or its it UNCC?) fans.xsmiley_wix

metro49er
December 16th, 2009, 08:11 AM
...As evidenced by the use of extinct divisional nomenclature? Come on, 'I-AA' is so 2007. One very basic sign of respect is paying enough attention to at least get the name right.

Hate to bust stones but acronyms apparently do matter to Charlotte (or its it UNCC?) fans.xsmiley_wix

actually no...I will always call it 1AA, its what I grew up on. I pay plenty attention, but I don't have to adhere to a failed marketing campaign. xnonox

MasonJar
December 16th, 2009, 08:59 AM
By your standards, AppState doesn't qualify for the Socon. Bring'm on!

EXACTLY!xthumbsupx

ronpayne
December 16th, 2009, 09:03 AM
EXACTLY!xthumbsupx

Do you propose a conference move for AppState? (not to hijack the thread....)

Monarch Nation
December 16th, 2009, 09:03 AM
actually no...I will always call it 1AA, its what I grew up on. I pay plenty attention, but I don't have to adhere to a failed marketing campaign. xnonox

Remember that when somebody calls you "UNCC."

MasonJar
December 16th, 2009, 09:04 AM

and, I hope your trend continues. I would love to see the 'niners go deep in March!:)

MasonJar
December 16th, 2009, 09:08 AM
thats odd, in CUSA with UL, Cincy, Memphis, Marquette, Depaul, etc we won multiple conf titles

our all time record vs UL is 17-15...

what else??? xcoffeex

again, why the hate from ASU?

Rival.

MasonJar
December 16th, 2009, 09:17 AM
Do you propose a conference move for AppState? (not to hijack the thread....)

I simply enjoy good football at any level, especially when my alma mater is involved. There are pluses and minuses for any move, even staying where we are. I do like the fact that we can compete for a REAL national championship. I do question the philosophy or our conference in light of the recent teams that have been added. Nothing against those teams, just pointing out the gravitation toward small, southern, private... Besides, where would we go?

WileECoyote06
December 16th, 2009, 09:29 AM
Back on topic. We'll play FCS football as long as it’s viable for us to do so, but we've already crunched the numbers (ad nauseium) and a CUSA FBS level program has the best chance of positive return for us. Like the city of Charlotte or hate it, the city won't embrace a FCS team. If we stay FCS, football becomes little more than an alumni/student benefit, which is great in itself; but doesn't help us to achieve the University's strategic goals. Perhaps someone with more knowledge on the topic can chime in, but I can't think of any public/FCS institutions with 25,000+ enrollments.

But the students will apparently, because they are going to be paying top dollar for it.

BTW, there is one public division II institution with 25,000+ enrollments: Wayne State. There are four public Division FCS football playing schools:

UMass, UC-Davis, Sacramento State and Texas State. There are also several Division I schools that are over 25,000 students which don't play football including Virginia Commonwealth, George Mason, UT-Arlington, CSU-Fullerton CSU-Northridge, UC-Irvine, Long Beach State, U of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, etc.

moss2k
December 16th, 2009, 09:37 AM
Student tuition will still be less than UNC Chapel Hill and NCSU. Also, with our ever growing student population, the fees will be soon be spread out through a larger group, thus decreasing what each student will pay. This is my understanding.

Even if they don't decrease, our tuition & fees is still lower than other in-state university that are comparable in size.

WileECoyote06
December 16th, 2009, 10:09 AM
Student tuition will still be less than UNC Chapel Hill and NCSU. Also, with our ever growing student population, the fees will be soon be spread out through a larger group, thus decreasing what each student will pay. This is my understanding.

Even if they don't decrease, our tuition & fees is still lower than other in-state university that are comparable in size.

And WSSU's increase would have kept their tuition and fees lower than most schools in the system of similar size. Yet the BOG voted that down. Bowles has discouraged unnecessary increases.

moss2k
December 16th, 2009, 10:14 AM
And WSSU's increase would have kept their tuition and fees lower than most schools in the system of similar size. Yet the BOG voted that down. Bowles has discouraged unnecessary increases.

Very true, however all situations are different and unique in their own right. From what I understand Bowles is own our side.

DSUrocks07
December 16th, 2009, 10:27 AM
Very true, however all situations are different and unique in their own right. From what I understand Bowles is on our side.

xnonono2x

WileECoyote06
December 16th, 2009, 10:32 AM
Very true, however all situations are different and unique in their own right. From what I understand Bowles is own our side.

Of course, he's from Charlotte. But 32 people is a lot to get past. With Hannah Gage having spoken errantly about her not preferring that option before, I'm pretty sure this won't be unanimous. xsmiley_wix

BTW, the proposal has already been pitched to the BOG as an FYI in the November 12th meeting.

moss2k
December 16th, 2009, 10:38 AM
Of course, he's from Charlotte. But 32 people is a lot to get past. With Hannah Gage having spoken errantly about her not preferring that option before, I'm pretty sure this won't be unanimous. xsmiley_wix

BTW, the proposal has already been pitched to the BOG as an FYI in the November 12th meeting.

Yep. We know it's not a slam dunk at this point, but feel fairly confident that things are favorable for us at this point in time.

henfan
December 16th, 2009, 10:47 AM

Well, apparently you weren't paying too close attention growing up or you would have realized that the former terminology for this subdivision was 'I-AA', never '1AA'. I'm not trying to bust your chops but you just have to realize that some people aren't ever going to take you seriously when you say you have a lot of respect for a sub-division and then proceed to intentionally butcher its name.xnonono2x

Some of us older guys grew up with our schools competiting in what was then known as the 'Small College Division', then 'College Division', then 'Division II', before most of our schools moved to 'I-AA'. We adapted. My uncle, who was born and raised in Gastonia, grew up calling your school 'Charlotte College', but he wouldn't sound too bright if he did that these days. Then again, he wouldn't confuse being stubborn with being right. xpeacex

Longhorn
December 16th, 2009, 11:02 AM
Perhaps someone with more knowledge on the topic can chime in, but I can't think of any public/FCS institutions with 25,000+ enrollments.

Well, these schools don't play FCS football (yet), but George Mason and VCU are already at or above 30,000 in enrollment, and their basketball programs are every bit as good as UNCC's program. Georgia State is at around 29,500, and is the second largest university in GA by student population, and their FCS football team starts play next year. ODU, who started FCS play this year (and is an old UNCC conference mate) is above 20,000 enrolled students, and JMU, UD, TU and UMASS are all hovering around 20,000 students. In fact, were it not for the economic slump (which suspended the doors to more admits) JMU's enrollment was planned to hit 21,500 in 2011. And looking nationally, UTSA boasts an enrollment of over 25,000, and Texas State is almost at 30,000 already. UTSA starts FCS play year after next in the Alamodome, and the Texas State Bobcats, who have been playing FCS ball for a long time, have recently made major investments in expanding/updating their facilities.

So as you can see, the size of UNCC's student body or the urban area it's located in is not particularly unique (or germane) to where UNCC is in the national scene of committing to FCS football. The fact is the sheer "size" of an institution's enrollment has never had any relation to playing FBS ball. That's a common misconception among no-nothing lay people, although being a large public does allow student fees to be tapped as a revenue source when building facilities, etc. once a decision has been reached to start playing football...ala ODU, GSU and UTSA.

Now, if (a big "if") UMASS and UNCC would ever consider leaving the A10 and join a realigned FBS level CAA with UD, JMU, ODU, GSU, GMU, VCU and perhaps ECU and ASU, we'd see the emergence of a nationally competitive all-sports league inhabited by mid-to-large publics with some legit basketball, baseball, soccer and other ancillary D1 sports like golf to go along with our football teams.

Personally, I'd like to see that happen...and I think something like this scenario has a better than even chance of shaking out over the next 5-10 years as the CAA defines itself as a challenger to the ACC and Big East, with the A10 and SoCon becoming more focused as leagues composed of smaller, private schools.

Redwyn
December 16th, 2009, 11:07 AM
Well, these schools don't play FCS football (yet), but George Mason and VCU are already at or above 30,000 in enrollment, and their basketball programs are every bit as good as UNCC's program. Georgia State is at around 29,500, and is the second largest university in GA by student population, and their FCS football team starts play next year. ODU, who started FCS play this year (and is an old UNCC conference mate) is above 20,000 enrolled students, and JMU, UD, TU and UMASS are all hovering around 20,000 students. In fact, were it not for the economic slump (which suspended the doors to more admits) JMU's enrollment was planned to hit 21,500 in 2011. And looking nationally, UTSA boasts an enrollment of over 25,000, and Texas State is almost at 30,000 already. UTSA starts FCS play year after next in the Alamodome, and the Texas State Bobcats, who have been playing FCS ball for a long time, have recently made major investments in expanding/updating their facilities.

So as you can see, the size of UNCC's student body nor the urban area it's located in, is not particularly unique (nor is it germane) to where UNCC is in the process of committing to FCS football. The fact is the sheer "size" of an institution's enrollment has never had any relation to playing FBS ball. That's a common misconception among no-nothing lay people, although being a large public does allow student fees to be tapped as a revenue source when building facilities, etc. once a decision has been reached to start playing football...ala ODU, GSU and UTSA.

Now, if (a big "if") UMASS and UNCC would ever consider leaving the A10 and joining a realigned FBS level CAA with UD, JMU, ODU, GSU, GMU, VCU and perhaps ECU and ASU, we'd see the emergence of a nationally competitive all-sports league inhabited by mid-to-large publics with some legit basketball, baseball, soccer and other ancillary D1 sports like golf to go along with our football teams.

Personally, I'd like to see that happen...and I think something like this scenario has a better than even chance of shaking out over the next 5-10 years as the CAA defines itself as a challenger to the ACC and Big East, with the A10 and SoCon become more focused as leagues composed of smaller, private schools.

Stony Brook's enrollment is 24,692, and is still expanding. Targets are 28K within the next 5 years.

Longhorn
December 16th, 2009, 11:20 AM
Stony Brook's enrollment is 24,692, and is still expanding. Targets are 28K within the next 5 years.

Did not know that, and thanks for pointing that out. Another great example of a large public playing FCS level football! xnodx

danefan
December 16th, 2009, 11:29 AM
While not quite at large, UAlbany is at 18,000+ and growing yearly.

There are probably a good # of schools in that range playing FCS ball.

moss2k
December 16th, 2009, 12:03 PM
Charlotte should be around 35,000 students in the next 10-15 years.

Redwyn
December 16th, 2009, 12:15 PM
Charlotte should be around 35,000 students in the next 10-15 years.

Unless you start counting our online and satellite campus students, SBU will never get THAT big.

Then again, one would question whether we'd ever need to.

moss2k
December 16th, 2009, 12:27 PM
Unless you start counting our online and satellite campus students, SBU will never get THAT big.

Then again, one would question whether we'd ever need to.

yeah, our campus has plenty of room for expansion, the future is looking bright at Charlotte.

49RFootballNow
December 16th, 2009, 12:40 PM
Some important info before we get too deep in comparing WSSU's fee increase with the one proposed for Charlotte:

WSSU's was a request to EXCEED the current fee increase cap limit. Charlotte's is UNDER the 6% annual cap increase limit.

WSSU had little to no donations toward their effort. Charlotte has $5.6 million,

WSSU would have remained static as their enrollment is low and not growing. Charlotte's would reduce significantly as our stundent population will be increase by 10,000 to 35,000 this decade.

Total net fee increase to our students is only $200 per year as an older debt service fee of $150 will be coming off next year. $200 is a lot cheaper than I'll be paying for home game season tickets in 2013.

metro49er
December 16th, 2009, 01:39 PM

I can tell you for 100% certainty that Erskine supports Charlotte football. Period. He also makes his recommendation, and usually boards follow.

I can also tell you our AD said "football is no longer an if" last week.

Sure there is a small chance the BOG says no, but its not happening. They will be pitchforked and torched to death, and know it if they vote no. I also know the ego of our chancellor, and he'd never dance this late in the night if he was not 100% sure he was sleeping over and getting lucky.

footnote:
I would also like to point out why the UNC system owes us a favor and shot at football. In 2003, the ACC commissioner (former UNC AD) raided the Big East, which in effect ruined CUSA- our league. Had we had football we would of been OK in the shakeout. Chapel Hill never considered the domino effect it would have on another state school, and it was devastating for us.

metro49er
December 16th, 2009, 01:40 PM
Some important info before we get too deep in comparing WSSU's fee increase with the one proposed for Charlotte:

WSSU's was a request to EXCEED the current fee increase cap limit. Charlotte's is UNDER the 6% annual cap increase limit.

WSSU had little to no donations toward their effort. Charlotte has $5.6 million,

WSSU would have remained static as their enrollment is low and not growing. Charlotte's would reduce significantly as our stundent population will be increase by 10,000 to 35,000 this decade.

Total net fee increase to our students is only $200 per year as an older debt service fee of $150 will be coming off next year. $200 is a lot cheaper than I'll be paying for home game season tickets in 2013.

excellent facts

49RFootballNow
December 16th, 2009, 04:52 PM
footnote:
I would also like to point out why the UNC system owes us a favor and shot at football. In 2003, the ACC commissioner (former UNC AD) raided the Big East, which in effect ruined CUSA- our league. Had we had football we would of been OK in the shakeout. Chapel Hill never considered the domino effect it would have on another state school, and it was devastating for us.

You're my boy Metro but you know as well as I do that:

A) Chapel Hill doesn't care about us either way

and

B) Chapel Hill and Duke were the only two schools to vote against the expansion.

The BoG will say yes because it is a reasonable and well researched and planned request, and they DON'T want it to become an issue.

You are correct though, if Dubois didn't already know the answer was yes we'd be on Plan F now.

appmaj
December 17th, 2009, 06:47 AM
This was posted as Charlotte was labeled a commuter school and would not travel well. Last year was a down year for our basketball program and our little ole commuter school was still 85th in attendance, drawing more than double what ASU did.

No one can say how we will travel for football, as we are not playing yet. I have a feeling that we're travel fairly well when the time comes. People have been waiting a VERY long time for this, so turnout should be pretty good on the road.

Based on what information? What people have been waiting?

We own a winning record against Louisville and one of our best players was also on the bench.

So does Western Carolina...

I always have like App St, rooted for your football, and liked their fans in person, but this message board is making you guys look like douchebag central.

App's strength is obviously 1AA football domination. Charlotte's strength has been higher level of basketball, golf in the top 5, baseball top 25, etc.

We respect 1AA tremendously, better than what we have now, but it is not our long term goal. And there is nothing wrong with that, nor arrogant.

App/FCS fans are just mostly being realist here, UNCC doesn't even have a football team yet and are already talking about their well attended games, well traveling fans, and move UP to FBS. Being realistic UNCC had trouble gathering the finance for this team, so assuming that all will come together in a state with 5 FBS teams already is assuming a lot and seems arrogant.

The city of Charlotte may or may not support an FCS team. They may or may not support an FBS team. For UNCC, I think at best it offers an alumni/student benefit. Charlotte is filled with people who went to other in state schools as well as UNCC. Those people would more than liekly support their schools (UNC, NCSU, WAKE, ECU).

UNCc :D

appmaj
December 17th, 2009, 06:48 AM
You're my boy Metro but you know as well as I do that:

A) Chapel Hill doesn't care about us either way

and

B) Chapel Hill and Duke were the only two schools to vote against the expansion.

The BoG will say yes because it is a reasonable and well researched and planned request, and they DON'T want it to become an issue.

You are correct though, if Dubois didn't already know the answer was yes we'd be on Plan F now.

UNC and the ACC doesn't owe UNCC a favor...they are busy making too much $

metro49er
December 17th, 2009, 07:09 AM

App/FCS fans are just mostly being realist here, UNCC doesn't even have a football team yet and are already talking about their well attended games, well traveling fans, and move UP to FBS. Being realistic UNCC had trouble gathering the finance for this team, so assuming that all will come together in a state with 5 FBS teams already is assuming a lot and seems arrogant.

The city of Charlotte may or may not support an FCS team. They may or may not support an FBS team. For UNCC, I think at best it offers an alumni/student benefit. Charlotte is filled with people who went to other in state schools as well as UNCC. Those people would more than liekly support their schools (UNC, NCSU, WAKE, ECU).

UNCc :D

I have to honestly say: I have no respect for any App fan who puts a Tarheel logo in their sig. Really, thats sad.

btw Charlotte is 17-15 lifetime vs UL....I dare say ASU or WCU could do that LMFAO.

Hooner49
December 17th, 2009, 08:35 AM
UNC and the ACC doesn't owe UNCC a favor...they are busy making too much $

Show some pride in your own school and take that Chapel Hill logo out of your sig.

I think all the negativity from Boone is laughable.

moss2k
December 17th, 2009, 08:37 AM
why all the hate from App State?

Appinator
December 17th, 2009, 08:44 AM
the Appinator fella said we don't support our sports, I apologize for being wrong. We were 76th the prior yr 2008, and slipped to 85th in 2009

Yeah, I actually didn't say that. Reading comprehension would be a nice elective for you. Not sure who questioned your attendance figures, but it wasn't me.

Appinator
December 17th, 2009, 08:56 AM

Exactly, stop the celebration and speculation as to which BCS conference you'll be joining. It just makes all UNCC people look like they don't care about FCS football. How about crossing your fingers that you get into the CAA or SoCon and discussing that?

Your student following, which should be large at first as seen with ODU, will have to get excited about not playing games against UNC and NCSU your first two years. Why? Because even wins against you won't even count as D-1 wins and they can't use those towards bowl eligibility.

They (your fans) will have to get pumped for games you will probably lose like ones against Gardner-Webb and Charleston Southern. Maybe you could draw Davidson, Campbell , or Pembrook as home games.

Ninerballin
December 17th, 2009, 09:02 AM

Memphis - Not too long ago their bball program was in shambles (pre-Calipari) although they are a legit BCS caliber university ready for the picking.

ECU - Good FB team & support, will never get picked up by the BE because of the TV market.

Army & Navy - Never see it happening

Temple - Legitimate, big TV market. FB team has gotten docked scholarships, but appears to be on the rise.

UCF - They were in the A-SUN, no chance the BE would've took em.

Marshall - TV Market, no chance

Buffalo, UMass, Ohio - You are clueless if you think they were ahead of Charlotte in the pecking order.

moss2k
December 17th, 2009, 09:09 AM
We care about FCS and will enjoy our time there. As far as traveling well, obviously its speculation, but everything is at this point. No reason to think we won't travel well in games that are a close proximity.

As far as conference affiliation goes, our AD is going to be in touch with the commissioner of the CAA soon. I'm not sure who will accept us as a football only participant. So that could very well be interesting to see how it shakes out.

Nothing wrong with us discussing FBS thoughts. That is our goal and it's never bad to be a forward thinking. Sure BCS is more than likely a pipe dream, as all the stars will have to align for us to do that. WE KNOW THAT. More than likely I can see us ending backup in CUSA, which wouldn't be a bad thing in my opinion.

Ninerballin
December 17th, 2009, 09:20 AM

I'm guessing he's basing that information off the fact that we tend to travel pretty well to area baskeball games @App, @Davidson, @Clemson, @Winthrop, etc. We also travel well for other sports such as baseball.

Western has a helluva team this year too. They'll easily win the Southern Conference and may go 16-0 in SoCon play.

5 FBS teams that's done what? UNC-CH always talks a big game, never does anything. Wake's just had some success of late, but you used to find plenty of empty seats in W-S. Duke never does anything, and NC St. has a good year here and there. ECU is the only one that ever really does anything, but they never can seem to break out of the shell and beat the ACC schools in the state.

I'm willing to bet, there's stiffer football competition in Florida, Texas, and Georgia. Yet, that didn't stop South Alabama, Georgia State, San Antonio, or South Florida to start up programs with FBS moves or intentions to move to FBS.

I bet Cincy fans were told by Ohio St. fans that they would never be able to compete on the same level. We'll look who's been in a BCS bowl for now 2 seasons in a row.

Like anywhere, support comes with winning. You can't ever win though unless you play the games. We have more than enough of an alumni base to garner enough support. Although, as you say we will need support from those who aren't alumni too.

But, let's also remember. This isn't Boone, NC. We're right smack in the middle of over 1.5 million people and a growing metro.

Saint3333
December 17th, 2009, 09:34 AM
UNCC football support from donors to date has been disappointing. Anyone who is optimistic at the results to date is drinking the green koolaid.

You can be excited that the program is getting started but come to the table with realistic expections based upon the fund raising efforts to date. It will be interesting to see how UNCC season ticket sales, donor support, etc. compared to what ODU has done. I believe UNCC has the potential to be a very good football program, but I think UNCC fans may grow impatient if they aren't able to meet the lofty goals the fans and alumni are setting at this stage.

The alumni should be very grateful to the students and the fees they will pay the next 5+ years, without them UNCC football would not have a chance. This wasn't the perferred option by the powers that be, it was the only option available based upon the results to date.

moss2k
December 17th, 2009, 09:48 AM
Alums are very grateful for the students and the willingness to accept the fees. That said, alums have done our fair share. With out the purchase of FSL's, the fee hike wouldn't matter.

FSL sales should start to increase now that there is something visually to see about the program. We've been waiting for renderings for quite some time. Now that those who haven't purchased their FSL's yet can see what the future holds, the sales should increase at a good pace.

metro49er
December 17th, 2009, 10:14 AM
Saint333 said:
The alumni should be very grateful to the students and the fees they will pay the next 5+ years, without them UNCC football would not have a chance. This wasn't the perferred option by the powers that be, it was the only option available based upon the results to date.
what about you being thankful? You are a UNC-Boone fan right? Without YOUR student fees, you have no team pal.

right now Charlotte student athletic fees are $477

UNC-Boone athletic fees are $634 xcoffeex

stop pretending our student fee increase isn't going to be equal to yours and unfair to Charlotte students.

link to all UNC system athletic fees: (page 13)
https://www.northcarolina.edu/bog/doc.php?code=bog&id=14719

Dane96
December 17th, 2009, 10:19 AM
Memphis - Not too long ago their bball program was in shambles (pre-Calipari) although they are a legit BCS caliber university ready for the picking.

ECU - Good FB team & support, will never get picked up by the BE because of the TV market.

Army & Navy - Never see it happening

Temple - Legitimate, big TV market. FB team has gotten docked scholarships, but appears to be on the rise.

UCF - They were in the A-SUN, no chance the BE would've took em.

Marshall - TV Market, no chance

Buffalo, UMass, Ohio - You are clueless if you think they were ahead of Charlotte in the pecking order.

UCF is in Conference USA. You...are very wrong. Plus it brings a monster market. Additionally, they have pretty ridiculous facilities.

They are on the BE short list...not doubt.

49RFootballNow
December 17th, 2009, 10:22 AM
I think the big problem is a lot of App folks realize that trying to get FCS talent out of the Queen City is going to be 5000 times harder starting in 2012.

metro49er
December 17th, 2009, 10:24 AM
UCF is in Conference USA. You...are very wrong. Plus it brings a monster market. Additionally, they have pretty ridiculous facilities.

he said, "were" as in the past, when the ACC - BE shakeup happened UCF was in the MAC (not the Asun or Cusa)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UCF_Knights_football

metro49er
December 17th, 2009, 10:25 AM
I think the big problem is a lot of App folks realize that trying to get FCS talent out of the Queen City is going to be 5000 times harder starting in 2012.

xlolxxnodx

asknoquarter21
December 17th, 2009, 10:27 AM
UNCC is a commuter school and obviously many alumns don't care about football too much because they probably would have gone to a school that already had football if they had cared that much (I know from experience).

There are too many teams you are behind in recruiting as well. It would take much longer than you think especially with ASU having the support they have in the charlotte area and on a larger scale USC and Clemson taking many of the top recruits in the area if not Chapel Hill.

The CUSA is a conference that UNCC would fail miserably in. You mentioned your fan support, but you listed fairly close games as being the examples you used.

Houston and Southern Miss are a bit farther than Davidson and ASU.

The ONLY thing you have in your favor at this moment is your location which is in a large market, but too much competition in the market for a start up to succeed.

The lack of funding is only the tip of the iceberg. You are crazy if you think you can START a program that rivals that of what the ASU students pay for the Athletic Fees

JMUNJ08

You can only hope. JMU recruiting with ODU should let you know if that really affects anything as ODU is sitting on prime grounds in the tidewater area.

49RFootballNow

I believe his point was that during the ACC/Big East expansion in 2003, UCF played all their sports in the Atlantic Sun Conference, except football which was in the MAC. With the majority of their sports in the ASC, UCF was NOT considered Big East level at the time. They have used the move to CUSA (2005) to improve many of their sports the same way LVille, Cincy and USF have benefitted from being in the Big East (though obviously not at the same level).

asknoquarter21
December 17th, 2009, 10:30 AM

Yea because if I have an offer from a powerhouse in the FCS like ASU and an offer from a startup school like UNCC the decision is going to be VERY tough

xlolx

Dane96
December 17th, 2009, 10:33 AM
Welcome to the board 49RFootballNow...and good luck with your program. I used to live in Charlotte and loved the place. I also believe that Charlotte has to be on a very short Big East list.

That said-- UCF was on the very short-list in the last BIG EAST expansion. Pretty much can confirm that. It was the impetus to upgrade their facilities and they were inches away from being part of a massive football expansion.

49RFootballNow
UNCC is a commuter school and obviously many alumns don't care about football too much because they probably would have gone to a school that already had football if they had cared that much (I know from experience).

There are too many teams you are behind in recruiting as well. It would take much longer than you think especially with ASU having the support they have in the charlotte area and on a larger scale USC and Clemson taking many of the top recruits in the area if not Chapel Hill.

The CUSA is a conference that UNCC would fail miserably in. You mentioned your fan support, but you listed fairly close games as being the examples you used.

The ONLY thing you have in your favor at this moment is your location which is in a large market, but too much competition in the market for a start up to succeed.

The lack of funding is only the tip of the iceberg. You are crazy if you think you can START a program that rivals that of what the ASU students pay for the Athletic Fees

Look who just got off the short bus!:D

70% of UNC CHARLOTTE students live within 5 miles of the school. Yup! You're right, we are SOOOOOO a commuter school!xthumbsupx

Um, you realize that up until 2005 we were in CUSA and won the conference basketball tournament a few time? No, because you 5 years old?

Lack of funding? When has your school raised $5.6 million for anything other than football?

I'm sure you are not a reflection on the educational skills of someone who goes to or graduated from App St.xthumbsupx

metro49er

We used to be in CUSA.

I know it hurts that you have no FBS ambition. We do, along with a top flight hoops team, and incredible all sports. You are a one trick pony.

btw, you did read my fees link right? UNC Boone is $200 more right now than Charlotte.

enjoy the competition hater

49RFootballNow
December 17th, 2009, 10:35 AM
Welcome to the board 49RFootballNow...and good luck with your program. I used to live in Charlotte and loved the place. I also believe that Charlotte has to be on a very short Big East list.

That said-- UCF was on the very short-list in the last BIG EAST expansion. Pretty much can confirm that. It was the impetus to upgrade their facilities and they were inches away from being part of a massive football expansion.

I'd say they would be on the short list now, but the Big East didn't look at any MAC teams in 2003. If you have something to the contrary post it up. I'd be interested to see that.

metro49er
December 17th, 2009, 10:37 AM
Yea because if I have an offer from a powerhouse in the FCS like ASU and an offer from a startup school like UNCC the decision is going to be VERY tough

xlolx

you need some other things to jump into the big leagues.....

that hoops team of yours xnonox

Dane96
December 17th, 2009, 10:42 AM
nm

asknoquarter21
December 17th, 2009, 10:43 AM
Look who just got off the short bus!:D

70% of UNC CHARLOTTE students live within 5 miles of the school. Yup! You're right, we are SOOOOOO a commuter school!xthumbsupx

Um, you realize that up until 2005 we were in CUSA and won the conference basketball tournament a few time? No, because you 5 years old?

Lack of funding? When has your school raised $5.6 million for anything other than football?

I'm sure you are not a reflection on the educational skills of someone who goes to or graduated from App St.xthumbsupx

70% living 5 minutes away or not. It is still a commuter school.

Why are you not in the CUSA in basketball right now?

I am just saying you need to level your expectations a little bit. You are certainly not going to win any conference championships in you first 3-5 years and you expect to be FBS by then????

must be embarrassing to have a 5 year old have a better sense of reality than yourself then huh?

asknoquarter21
December 17th, 2009, 10:47 AM
you need some other things to jump into the big leagues.....

that hoops team of yours xnonox

Your Hoops team isn't all that now. Last year I recall a very close game with little ole ASU in basketball. You would think we were dealing with a national powerhouse or something from the way you are talking.

You are no Villanova and you shouldn't expect those kind of results either, except possibly the fan support.

metro49er
December 17th, 2009, 10:47 AM

I am just saying you need to level your expectations a little bit. You are certainly not going to win any conference championships in you first 3-5 years and you expect to be FBS by then????

must be embarrassing to have a 5 year old have a better sense of reality than yourself then huh?

why would we want to be in CUSA right now??

http://realtimerpi.com/rpi_conf_Men.html

the A10 is a far better hoops league than CUSA

the real question, is why do you participate in the 19th best league?? LMFAO

moss2k
December 17th, 2009, 10:50 AM

Was UCONN or USF dominating anything before they went to FBS?

We aren't inf CUSA b/c they wanted to be a football conference. If we had football when the last conference realignment happened, we'd still be in CUSA or potentially a larger conference.

No one is expecting us to come in a win a National Championship off the bat in FCS. However, we are expecting to be a FBS program sooner, rather than later, so that we can be prepared, if it's not to late for the next conference shift.

metro49er
December 17th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Your Hoops team isn't all that now. Last year I recall a very close game with little ole ASU in basketball. You would think we were dealing with a national powerhouse or something from the way you are talking.

You are no Villanova and you shouldn't expect those kind of results either, except possibly the fan support.
We have been to the Final 4

we are getting tons of top 25 votes

get back to me when you are in the top 150 RPI

asknoquarter21
December 17th, 2009, 10:59 AM
We have been to the Final 4

we are getting tons of top 25 votes

get back to me when you are in the top 150 RPI

This is why your school will always be a basketball school

Seriously, ASU is a football school and we don't have much interest in basketball. Even if we were good it still wouldn't have the interest.

Students go to ASU because of many reasons, but in general we attract more football fans than basketball fans. I would even say that many students at ASU care more about UNC/DUKE/NCSU or some other school in basketball, and I KNOW this is true.

UNCC is probably very similar except they feel that way about Basketball. I am not saying you won't make it to the FBS. I just think Big East isn't gonna happen for 10+ years if ever.

UCONN and UNCC don't compare as far as basketball goes either

What school would you seriously expect to be like after 5 years of football?

Saint3333
December 17th, 2009, 11:57 AM

Yeah those kids would hate playing in front of 30K, a chance at a national title, and have these facilities:

http://www.goasu.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=21500&KEY=&ATCLID=204823394

You guys have a lot to learn about having a football program.

ASU doesn't get FCS talent they get border line FBS talent - six committments for 2010 all have at least one FBS offer. Am I really arguing football with a UNCC fan wow let me push the computer away from me...

moss2k
December 17th, 2009, 11:59 AM

Seriously, ASU is a football school and we don't have much interest in basketball. Even if we were good it still wouldn't have the interest.

Students go to ASU because of many reasons, but in general we attract more football fans than basketball fans. I would even say that many students at ASU care more about UNC/DUKE/NCSU or some other school in basketball, and I KNOW this is true.

UNCC is probably very similar except they feel that way about Basketball. I am not saying you won't make it to the FBS. I just think Big East isn't gonna happen for 10+ years if ever.

I wasn't comparing UCONN vs Charlotte's basketball programs. Notice how you didn't mention USF, who's basketball program is horrible.

In 5 years I expect us to be positioning ourselves for the jump to FBS. We have to spend 4 years in FCS. Hopefully by this point the conference shifts haven't occurred and we're in line to move to a FBS conference for Football.

No one is expecting us to be world beaters in football the moment we suit up. However, you can't deny the potential we have for recruiting in football around the queen city. Hopefully bringing football into the equation will help us recruit more talent form Charlotte for basketball as well.

moss2k
December 17th, 2009, 12:01 PM
Yeah those kids would hate playing in front of 30K, a chance at a national title, and have these facilities:

ASU doesn't get FCS talent they get border line FBS talent - six committments for 2010 all have at least one FBS offer. Am I really arguing football with a UNCC fan wow let me push the computer away from me...

No one denies that your team has the facilities to recruit in football, that's obvious. We'll have pretty damn good facilities too. In addition to that, we'll be able to offer more options other that just facilities and a education. The city of Charlotte > Boone. More things for students to do, period.

metro49er
December 17th, 2009, 12:07 PM

way to ignore my factoids on UNC system athletic fees, you subsidize your program the same we will be doing- via the same amount.

I love your stadium btw with the new improvements. Serious question, is the track still go around it? I never liked that look.

have you seen our proposed facility?
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/gallery/files/1/0/9/0/7/3/picture2.jpg

Saint3333
December 17th, 2009, 12:12 PM
I went to school in Boone and live in Charlotte. IMO Boone > Charlotte for ages 18-22 and after you make enough to retire.

Who knows where ASU will be by 2012 or 2016, based upon the changes made in the last 4 years our options are much better. All ASU is the overall best athletic program in the SoCon and with the baseball team getting much better and with Buzz back, ASU may be looked favorably by FBS conferences. I said this a couple years ago, but if ODU, Ga. St., and UNCC are successful with football there will finally be enough similar minded schools in the mid-atlantic region for a solid FBS conference.

Saint3333
December 17th, 2009, 12:16 PM
way to ignore my factoids on UNC system athletic fees, you subsidize your program the same we will be doing- via the same amount.

I love your stadium btw with the new improvements. Serious question, is the track still go around it? I never liked that look.

have you seen our proposed facility?

The difference is ASU was able to raise almost $20M in facility upgrades through private donation just a couple years ago. Are you not personally disappointed with the private donation process you've seen from your fellow alums?

The track is still there and will likely remain from a cost perspective. They are debating whether endzone seating on top of the track (like Boise St.) is an option.

metro49er
December 17th, 2009, 12:18 PM

Why is a school always "a basketball school" or "football school?" Thats illogical. Many schools succeed at both. App St could also if it decided to move into a better conference for all sports. I think ASU wants to be a hoops school, or you would not of built the nice gym and hired Buzz. You want it, just hasn't worked yet.

For what its worth, Charlotte and USF were battery mates in the same league for 25 years. We were in the Sun Belt, Metro, and CUSA together. They started football in 1997 and gambled right big time.

I can assure you one of the main reasons the chancellor and AD is pursuing football here, is to keep us in a top hoops league. When the deck shuffles again (and it will) we will be in position instead of what happened when the CUSA/BE/ACC raid happened and blindsided us in 2003.

PS- nobody compared UCONN hoops to the Niners. But you can compare what happened in terms of football,
this sounds EXACTLY like what we hear: http://advance.uconn.edu/1997/971020/10209702.htm

and to answer your question....after 5 years of football, I hope we are in our 1st year in a FBS league.

appmaj
December 17th, 2009, 12:20 PM
I have to honestly say: I have no respect for any App fan who puts a Tarheel logo in their sig. Really, thats sad.

btw Charlotte is 17-15 lifetime vs UL....I dare say ASU or WCU could do that LMFAO.

That is where I went to Grad School and started my work career. Thanks for your concern...

Show some pride in your own school and take that Chapel Hill logo out of your sig.

I think all the negativity from Boone is laughable.

See above; This dislike for UNC by UNCc is rooted in something. I wonder if it could be that UNC gets more attention that UNCc does in Charlotte.

why all the hate from App State?

See above...

Western has a helluva team this year too. They'll easily win the Southern Conference and may go 16-0 in SoCon play.

It pains me but yes WCU does have a good team

5 FBS teams that's done what? UNC-CH always talks a big game, never does anything. Wake's just had some success of late, but you used to find plenty of empty seats in W-S. Duke never does anything, and NC St. has a good year here and there. ECU is the only one that ever really does anything, but they never can seem to break out of the shell and beat the ACC schools in the state.
Thats kind of my point. Even when those teams are good (with the exception of state, maybe) There are still plenty of seats available. UNCc will have to something special to garner the attention away from any of those weakly supported football schools.

Like anywhere, support comes with winning. You can't ever win though unless you play the games. We have more than enough of an alumni base to garner enough support. Although, as you say we will need support from those who aren't alumni too.

Best post by a Charlotte fan yet. It comes down to winning. UNCc is going to have trouble on any level until (if) they start winning.

metro49er
December 17th, 2009, 12:22 PM
I went to school in Boone and live in Charlotte. IMO Boone > Charlotte for ages 18-22 and after you make enough to retire.

Who knows where ASU will be by 2012 or 2016, based upon the changes made in the last 4 years our options are much better. All ASU is the overall best athletic program in the SoCon and with the baseball team getting much better and with Buzz back, ASU may be looked favorably by FBS conferences. I said this a couple years ago, but if ODU, Ga. St., and UNCC are successful with football there will finally be enough similar minded schools in the mid-atlantic region for a solid FBS conference.

now we can agree on something! I would welcome a FBS league with App, Charlotte, GA St, ODU

metro49er
December 17th, 2009, 12:26 PM
Best post by a Charlotte fan yet. It comes down to winning. UNCc is going to have trouble on any level until (if) they start winning.

xrotatehx
chicken or egg?

49RFootballNow
December 17th, 2009, 12:27 PM
The difference is ASU was able to raise almost $20M in facility upgrades through private donation just a couple years ago. Are you not personally disappointed with the private donation process you've seen from your fellow alums?

The track is still there and will likely remain from a cost perspective. They are debating whether endzone seating on top of the track (like Boise St.) is an option.

$4 million in FSL sells in this economy, with a Chancellor who up until last month kept undermining the effort, no real renderings till last week?

I feel great about it!xthumbsupx

App has an actual team and stadium to sell to donors. We only NOW have paper to sell and we still managed to raise $5.6 million. Once we begin construction and this becomes concrete and not computer space the rest of the FSLs will be sold out and a corporate sponsor will line up. They always have for us.

When the 49ers take the field in 2013 there will be a full stadium and lots of people in the luxury suites.xsmiley_wix

Saint3333
December 17th, 2009, 12:31 PM
$4 million in FSL sells in this economy, with a Chancellor who up until last month kept undermining the effort, no real renderings till last week?

I feel great about it!xthumbsupx

App has an actual team and stadium to sell to donors. We only NOW have paper to sell and we still managed to raise $5.6 million. Once we begin construction and this becomes concrete and not computer space the rest of the FSLs will be sold out and a corporate sponsor will line up. They always have for us.

When the 49ers take the field in 2013 there will be a full stadium and lots of people in the luxury suites.xsmiley_wix

The goal was 5,000 FSL by the deadline, only 1,600 were sold. I like your PR spin effort though.

49RFootballNow
December 17th, 2009, 12:34 PM
The goal was 5,000 FSL by the deadline, only 1,600 were sold. I like your PR spin effort though.

We've sold over 3200 FSLs and EXCEEDED our initial fundraising goal.

Its called research, you should try it.

metro49er
December 17th, 2009, 12:36 PM
thats not so. 3600 sold at deadline....with no stadium rendering

49RFootballNow
December 17th, 2009, 12:41 PM
It's OK Metro. It doesn't matter that we have over 3 football seasons to sell 1800 FSLs, or that we have $5.6 million for them and donations. You see, we didn't meet a self imposed deadline to sell ALL our FSLs so we should tank the program and give back the money. It doesn't matter we've sold over 3200 FSLs in 10 months with nothing but a vague concept from our University on the topic. Clearly we have failed and should move down to DIII.

God save us from idiots!

moss2k
December 17th, 2009, 12:42 PM
Our goal was to raise $5 million. We've eclipsed that and FSL sales should increase with the renderings that were just released of the proposed stadium.

metro49er
December 17th, 2009, 12:44 PM
It's OK Metro. It doesn't matter that we have over 3 football seasons to sell 1800 FSLs, or that we have $5.6 million for them and donations. You see, we didn't meet a self imposed deadline to sell ALL our FSLs so we should tank the program and give back the money. It doesn't matter we've sold over 3200 FSLs in 10 months with nothing but a vague concept from our University on the topic. Clearly we have failed and should move down to DIII.

God save us from idiots!

by summer of 2011, with a football coach named (Mike Minter already begging), a stadium being erected, we will have 10,000 season ticket holders. 3500 people bought blind deal.

AppAlum2003
December 17th, 2009, 12:44 PM
Congrats on winning the ACC Football Championship, UNCC!! We knew you could do it!

moss2k
December 17th, 2009, 12:47 PM
for any that are interested in seeing the stadium renderings, you can find them at the link below.

http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y259/chevee/Charlotte%2049ers/

49RFootballNow
December 17th, 2009, 12:47 PM
Our goal was to raise $5 million. We've eclipsed that and FSL sales should increase with the renderings that were just released of the proposed stadium.

It's no use Moss, we've failed and should leave this football board with our heads hung low. See, 49er football is a failure and a few factless, completely uninformed App St fans were kind enough to tell us so. Forget the other App fans that have been positive about it. Clearly they are idiots too according to their fellow App fans with more knowledge about our own University's financial situation then any of us who have actually kept up with and researched the topic. Let's move on in shame!xcoolx

49RFootballNow
December 17th, 2009, 12:48 PM

It's no use Moss, we've failed and should leave this football board with our heads hung low. See, 49er football is a failure and a few factless, completely uninformed App St fans were kind enough to tell us so. Forget the other App fans that have been positive about it. Clearly they are idiots too according to their fellow App fans with more knowledge about our own University's financial situation than any of us who have actually kept up with and researched the topic. Let's move on in shame!xcoolx

AppAlum2003
December 17th, 2009, 12:50 PM
Don't be sad 49ers fans, just look at the drawings of your 300,000 seat stadium with luxury boxes made of solid gold and you'll feel better.

Saint3333
December 17th, 2009, 12:51 PM
We've sold over 3200 FSLs and EXCEEDED our initial fundraising goal.

Its called research, you should try it.

My number was based upon the original deadline. I wouldn't say this has been a success by any means. Hey I know you guys are excited but you may need a recap of actual events.

5/29:

A lot depends on how the current campaign to sell seat licenses fares. To date, 1,693 seat licenses have been sold, with $540,000 paid and $2.1 million pledged in those commitments.

Guidelines established earlier this year called for the school to sell 5,500 seat licenses by the end of June. That goal was scrapped soon after as a sluggish response and the battered economy convinced school officials it was unrealistic.

http://charlotte.bizjournals.com/charlotte/stories/2009/05/25/daily44.html

9/23:

But the school of nearly 25,000 students is still far short of having the money needed to bring there. Athletics Director Judy Rose said that the school has sold 2,573 seat licenses worth $3.27 million, far short of the $5 million officials originally hoped to have committed by yesterday.

http://www2.journalnow.com/content/2009/sep/18/180055/despite-slow-sales-uncc-aims-for-football-in-2013-/sports/

12/11:

But fundraising efforts have been hampered, in part, by the poor economy. More than $5.6 million has been committed so far through personal gifts from trustees and others and the sales of football-seat-licenses for the stadium. The FSL sales, however, fall short of a goal set by the chancellor last year.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/423/story/1118091.html

You wanted to sell 5,500 FSL, last time I checked 3,200 (couldn't find support for this number) was about 60% of that. UNCC will need both private gifts and FSL sales to make this a success. You have spun this as you met the $5.5M goal, but that amount was for FSL's only.

Signed,
Just another mis-informed ASU fan...

moss2k
December 17th, 2009, 12:53 PM
Don't be sad 49ers fans, just look at the drawings of your 300,000 seat stadium with luxury boxes made of solid gold and you'll feel better.

And we thought we might be some good football discussions going on here, guess not with the App fans.

I guess little ole Charlotte needs to learn our role and bow down to big brother in the mountains xbowx

AppAlum2003
December 17th, 2009, 12:54 PM
No, we're all just still bitter after losing last weekend.

Congrats on (probably) getting your football program going. xthumbsupx

moss2k
December 17th, 2009, 12:54 PM
My number was based upon the original deadline. I wouldn't say this has been a success by any means. Hey I know you guys are excited but you may need a recap of actual events.

5/29:

A lot depends on how the current campaign to sell seat licenses fares. To date, 1,693 seat licenses have been sold, with $540,000 paid and $2.1 million pledged in those commitments.

Guidelines established earlier this year called for the school to sell 5,500 seat licenses by the end of June. That goal was scrapped soon after as a sluggish response and the battered economy convinced school officials it was unrealistic.

9/23:

But the school of nearly 25,000 students is still far short of having the money needed to bring there. Athletics Director Judy Rose said that the school has sold 2,573 seat licenses worth $3.27 million, far short of the $5 million officials originally hoped to have committed by yesterday.

http://www2.journalnow.com/content/2009/sep/18/180055/despite-slow-sales-uncc-aims-for-football-in-2013-/sports/

12/11:

But fundraising efforts have been hampered, in part, by the poor economy. More than $5.6 million has been committed so far through personal gifts from trustees and others and the sales of football-seat-licenses for the stadium. The FSL sales, however, fall short of a goal set by the chancellor last year.

You wanted to sell 5,500 FSL, last time I checked 3,200 (couldn't find support for this number) was about 60% of that. UNCC will need both private gifts and FSL sales to make this a success. You have spun this as you met the $5.5M goal, but that amount was for FSL's only.

No corporation was going to donate any $$$ until there was more proof of a definitive product. That is out now with our renderings. The talks should start heating up soon, and hopefully announcements in the not too distant future. It's not like we need $40 million by the end of the year.

metro49er
December 17th, 2009, 12:56 PM

have you been reading the top 25 polls lately xlolxxlolxxlolx

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/rankings

Saint3333
December 17th, 2009, 12:58 PM
I didn't say you did. Your fans wanted to debate the story to date and were painting a picture that wasn't true. I've laid out a timeline of goals and results to date. There is plenty of time to continue to raise money, just trying to ensure everyone understands what has actually occurred to date.

A good fanbase should be optimistic and a likely future rival fanbase should put them in their place ;-).

Appinator
December 17th, 2009, 01:00 PM
You can only warn people so much.

Congrats UNCC on your new path to CUSA football. It is only ignorance that would stop such an athletic power from their preordained place in the sports pantheon......

In 100% honesty, there is absolutely NO worries this mountaineer has in regarding recruiting competition with UNCC. Our program found out years ago that we have to put a TON of miles underneath us to get the type of talent we expect in the high country. We might select one Char-Meck kid a semester as a recruit, but we pull talent from all across the south.

My question to all of the UNCC fans is this: Are you really that enamored with achieving a football program which has a ceiling of CUSA-MAC-Sun Belt potential in the FBS? Are you really that jealous of ECU as they get ready for the Music City Bowl or what ever toilet bowl game they get to attend? Remove the "pie in the sky" notion that you possibly get into a BCS league. No hope of a national championship, constant afterthoughts. I know I wouldn't

moss2k
December 17th, 2009, 01:04 PM

Congrats UNCC on your new path to CUSA football. It is only ignorance that would stop such an athletic power from their preordained place in the sports pantheon......

In 100% honesty, there is absolutely NO worries this mountaineer has in regarding recruiting competition with UNCC. Our program found out years ago that we have to put a TON of miles underneath us to get the type of talent we expect in the high country. We might select one Char-Meck kid a semester as a recruit, but we pull talent from all across the south.

My question to all of the UNCC fans is this: Are you really that enamored with achieving a football program which has a ceiling of CUSA-MAC-Sun Belt potential in the FBS? Are you really that jealous of ECU as they get ready for the Music City Bowl or what ever toilet bowl game they get to attend? Remove the "pie in the sky" notion that you possibly get into a BCS league. No hope of a national championship, constant afterthoughts. I know I wouldn't

I didn't know you could read the future. We should just settle in a FCS conference and be happy.

Whether people want to believe it, Charlotte has an OUTSIDE shot at a BCS conference, simply due to our TV market. Was USF a BCS level program, hell no, but they had a TV market and that's what got them into the Big East. It's all about marketablility and fantasy dollars to get into a BCS conference.

I have no problems with going to CUSA, been there and done that. If teams like TCU, Houston and Boise State can be successful, why can't Charlotte?

Not saying we'll be national championship contenders in 15 years, but no one knows what the future holds.

rlslim
December 17th, 2009, 01:09 PM
First off I want to be clear that I mean no disrespect to the school, but the mascot confuses me (yes I know it refers to 1949, but it does have ties to the 1849 gold rush as well) the gold rush was a push West to California, about as far from the East coast and NC as one can get.

metro49er
December 17th, 2009, 01:13 PM

Here is what I have wanted and we need:
a crisp fall afternoon, 65 degrees, I have a cooler of beer, a grill on, all my favorite old college teammates and friends around, my kids around me throwing a football, a Niners chant going, cheerleaders walking by handing stuff out, my 49ers tent up with a lawn chair, and lots of laughing and green being worn by all.

Is that above wish such a big deal? Nobody from Charlotte came on this board proclaiming a BCS title game in 10 years. We want the experience of football. We also know w/o football, many students will never "emotionally bond" with their alma mater, instead they will drive up 85 to Chapel Hell or Raleigh instead of staying on campus.

We were burned in 2003 for not having a fball team and left high and dry. The A10 is OK, but we were better off at the peak of CUSA. All of our old rivals (yes rivals- we beat them alot) are now in the Big East: UL, Cincy, USF, Marq, Depaul.

Football is coming to Charlotte. Maybe its longterm FCS and thats better than current! Hopefully its a new CUSA, BE, or some new league that yet exists with others in the same situation.

rlslim
December 17th, 2009, 01:20 PM
Good luck with your program guys, I hope you are FCS, it is always nice to get new teams, especially when we have some other programs collapsing :(

moss2k
December 17th, 2009, 01:25 PM
Good luck with your program guys, I hope you are FCS, it is always nice to get new teams, especially when we have some other programs collapsing :(

Thanks rlslim. We're looking forward to joining the FCS realm of football and all the future discussions.

49RFootballNow
December 17th, 2009, 01:29 PM

5/29:

9/23:

12/11:

Signed,
Just another mis-informed ASU fan...

3200 FSL sold

http://gmine.blogspot.com/2009/12/faq-niners-adding-football-in-2013.html

FYI, that's a Charlotte Observer blog ran by their Niner beat reporter Jim Utter.

WileECoyote06
December 17th, 2009, 01:47 PM
First off I want to be clear that I mean no disrespect to the school, but the mascot confuses me (yes I know it refers to 1949, but it does have ties to the 1849 gold rush as well) the gold rush was a push West to California, about as far from the East coast and NC as one can get.

There was a gold rush in Mecklenburg county from the late 1700s into the 1800s. Until the gold rush in California, NC was the top gold producing state.

The reference to 49ers is a not to the regions history, but it uses a recognizable historical reference. I guess they could have been the Charlotte Nuggets, but . . . xeyebrowx

Hooner49
December 17th, 2009, 01:51 PM
There was a gold rush in Mecklenburg county from the late 1700s into the 1800s. Until the gold rush in California, NC was the top gold producing state.

The reference to 49ers is a not to the regions history, but it uses a recognizable historical reference. I guess they could have been the Charlotte Nuggets, but . . . xeyebrowx

The nickname "49ers" derives from the fact that the university's predecessor -- Charlotte Center of the University of North Carolina (CCUNC - established in 1946) was saved from being shut down by the state in 1949 by Bonnie Cone, when the Charlotte Center became Charlotte College.

49RFootballNow
December 17th, 2009, 01:56 PM

1819, Reed Gold Mine becomes the source of the United States first gold rush. A US Mint office is opened in Charlotte to mint coins from the mined gold.

1946, the Charlotte Center for the University of North Carolina opened as a night school in Charlotte Central High School to serve the first two years of education to returning GI's from World War II. Bonnie Cone is its first director.

1949, with the glut of returning GI's diminished the Charlotte Center is soon to be closed. Miss Cone convinces the Mecklenburg County School Board to take over the Charlotte Center as a junior college. Its renamed Charlotte College.

THIS IS WHY WE ARE THE 49ers.

1961, the college moves to the current location on land donated from the Alexander Plantation property between US 29 and US 49,

1965, after considerable efforts by many, none more so than Miss Bonnie herself, Charlotte College is admitted as the 4th university of the Consolidated University of North Carolina System ( UNC Ch, NCSU, NC Women's College{UNCG}) and elevated to 4 year, bachelorette degree granting university.

WileECoyote06
December 17th, 2009, 02:05 PM
1819, Reed Gold Mine becomes the source of the United States first gold rush. A US Mint office is opened in Charlotte to mint coins from the mined gold.

1946, the Charlotte Center for the University of North Carolina opened as a night school in Charlotte Central High School to serve the first two years of education to returning GI's from World War II. Bonnie Cone is its first director.

1949, with the glut of returning GI's diminished the Charlotte Center is soon to be closed. Miss Cone convinces the Mecklenburg County School Board to take over the Charlotte Center as a junior college. Its renamed Charlotte College.

THIS IS WHY WE ARE THE 49ers.

1961, the college moves to the current location on land donated from the Alexander Plantation property between US 29 and US 49,

1965, after considerable efforts by many, none more so than Miss Bonnie herself, Charlotte College is admitted as the 4th university of the Consolidated University of North Carolina System ( UNC Ch, NCSU, NC Women's College{UNCG}) and elevated to 4 year, bachelorette degree granting university.

Oh, hadn't heard that other part. Good stuff.xthumbsupx

WestCoastAggie
December 17th, 2009, 02:08 PM
The nickname "49ers" derives from the fact that the university's predecessor -- Charlotte Center of the University of North Carolina (CCUNC - established in 1946) was saved from being shut down by the state in 1949 by Bonnie Cone, when the Charlotte Center became Charlotte College.

Is she from the same Cone family that owned all those Textile Mills?

49RFootballNow
December 17th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Is she from the same Cone family that owned all those Textile Mills?

No, her family was middle class from the low country of South Carolina.

JMUNJ08
December 17th, 2009, 02:22 PM
49er fans take it easy. Being new to the board with a new team takes time to garner respect. Shooting your mouth off at App fans who are quick to shoot down most other teams (although some provide great discussion) is not the battle you want. Be positive and constructive and it will get you far!

We have been hearing about raising money for awhile at UNCC and the money hasn't flowed in like other places to date (ODU comes to mind). If the numbers rise fast with a plan now in place, the early slow trickle will be forgotten about.

moss2k
December 17th, 2009, 02:26 PM
We know it will take time to "garner respect." However having several App fans talking down from the get go to us is ridiculous.

We're looking forward to having fruitful discussions with those that are open to the idea of Charlotte playing football without the preconceived notations that we think we're better than them, etc.