soccerguy315
December 10th, 2009, 12:24 AM
what is capacity? around 20, yes?

seems like good local support so far.

chattanoogamocs
December 10th, 2009, 12:35 AM
20,668 is capacity.

23,010 is all-time record.

The head of the sports committee said in the paper today that local attendance was very important in trying to keep the event here...they are pushing to try and sell 10K.

Typically, you will always see more fans from the schools that the totals above...especially if ASU is involved (and Montana usually has done better than 3K in the past)

I think you will also see a little spurt in ticket sales locally, once we see who will be in the finals. And Chattanooga is a bit notorious for being a "walk-up" (day off) kinda town. If the weather is good, more will show up.

If I remember the last contract correctly, the local sports committee guarantees 15K in ticket sales to the NCAA and they split any ticket money over that (not 100% on that, but I think that's right). Though they might have changed that to just an exact dollar amount the NCAA gets first, then they split after.

chattanoogamocs
December 10th, 2009, 12:39 AM
FYI...current Accuweather.com long range forecast for Dec 19th is "mostly sunny and cold" with a high of 40.

(forecast in Frisco, TX..."clouds and sunshine" with a high of 44)

Skjellyfetti
December 10th, 2009, 01:18 AM
Think there's any chance they put temp bleachers in the scoreboard endzone again if App goes? Or let people sit on the bank (really doubt this one)?

Cincy App
December 10th, 2009, 06:00 AM
As of Wednesday:

7,241 sold locally

Official school requests from the four semi-finalists:

7,500 Appalachian State
3,500 William and Mary
3,000 Montana
1,000 Villanova

Some of the "sold locally" are ASU fans including my group. 7,500 school tickets doesn't go far enough for us. Of course, I live within 2 hours of Chatt so I could be considered in either boat (local or ASU). Hopefully, enough ticket sales are considered local so the event stays in Chattanooga.

Waco Kid
December 10th, 2009, 09:33 AM
I doubt either Nova or W&M will even come close to selling their allotment so that will open up some extra tickets. Lots of App fans buy tickets from Chatty every year, and with us being one win away I would imagine some of the locals bought tickets hoping they could resale them to App fans if we win. If we lose they still get to go see a game so not really a big risk for them.

Tribe07
December 10th, 2009, 10:19 AM
I doubt either Nova or W&M will even come close to selling their allotment so that will open up some extra tickets. Lots of App fans buy tickets from Chatty every year, and with us being one win away I would imagine some of the locals bought tickets hoping they could resale them to App fans if we win. If we lose they still get to go see a game so not really a big risk for them.

I disagree. I think W&M will easily sell 3,500 if we win. But let's not get ahead of ourselves...

GannonFan
December 10th, 2009, 10:36 AM
I could see W&M selling their alottment - they have a nice little following and they like football. Frankly, 1k looks to be too much for nova - I'd be shocked if they managed to get that many down there.

Waco Kid
December 10th, 2009, 10:38 AM
I disagree. I think W&M will easily sell 3,500 if we win. But let's not get ahead of ourselves...

Oops I didn't pay attention to the breakdown by school. I thought they reserved 7,500 per school. You''re probably right about selling 3,500 if you make it.

wideright82
December 10th, 2009, 10:43 AM
I could see W&M selling their alottment - they have a nice little following and they like football. Frankly, 1k looks to be too much for nova - I'd be shocked if they managed to get that many down there.

sadly I agree. I know a decent amount of my friends/team mates will be going down, but regular student population I cannot speak for. Maybe the words "National Championship" are big enough in prestige to get them down there, but I doubt it.

MR. CHICKEN
December 10th, 2009, 10:59 AM
C'MON WILDCAT FREAKS....YER ROUNDBALL SQWAD....IS OFF TA FORDHAM.....WEEKEND O' DUH 'NOOGAH DANCE.....SO IFIN' YA'LL GET BAH DUH TRIBE..(SOON TA BE PUGS...WRENS...PHOENIX....KINGS & QUEENS..WHATEVERAH).....DEN GET YER TAILS....TA...TENNESSEE...........DUH CHICKEN WENT TWICE...IF AH CAN....YA'LL CAN....xcoachx....DOODLE-DOO!

GannonFan
December 10th, 2009, 11:01 AM
sadly I agree. I know a decent amount of my friends/team mates will be going down, but regular student population I cannot speak for. Maybe the words "National Championship" are big enough in prestige to get them down there, but I doubt it.

You guys are out of school by next Friday, right? With the bulk of the student population at nova from places North of nova, it just makes trekking down to Chatty that much more unlikely. Heck, how many of them are instead going to the Meadowlands to watch the b-ball team play Fordham the next day? I'd wager more nova fans are at that game (maybe 2x - 3x) than the NC game in Chatty. xnodx

Rekdiver
December 10th, 2009, 11:06 AM
Hey the Delaware, UMass and Norther Iowa people showed up when I went to the games. No excuses for Nova fans.......

jlcharles
December 10th, 2009, 11:18 AM
Hey the Delaware, UMass and Norther Iowa people showed up when I went to the games. No excuses for Nova fans.......

Plenty of excuses. FCS is below them. It isn't big time, so they don't care. I really hate my school sometimes.

jlcharles
December 10th, 2009, 11:21 AM
And if the school had any brains, maybe they could package the football game with credits for the basketball lottery. Hell, I think I heard them announce that students going to one of the women's games would get increased standing. But that's too easy of a solution to problem.

bluehenbillk
December 10th, 2009, 11:48 AM
Chatty & the NCAA have gotta be rooting for Appy to win this weekend. Any combo of the other teams will result in thousands of empties.

VUCats02
December 10th, 2009, 11:53 AM
If they increased students' chances for the basketball lottery by saying that whoever goes to the W&M game Friday will have their basketball lottery chances increased, 75-80% of the student body would be at the game

wideright82
December 10th, 2009, 12:04 PM
If they increased students' chances for the basketball lottery by saying that whoever goes to the W&M game Friday will have their basketball lottery chances increased, 75-80% of the student body would be at the game

xlolxxlolxxlolx at least!

wideright82
December 10th, 2009, 12:04 PM
You guys are out of school by next Friday, right? With the bulk of the student population at nova from places North of nova, it just makes trekking down to Chatty that much more unlikely. Heck, how many of them are instead going to the Meadowlands to watch the b-ball team play Fordham the next day? I'd wager more nova fans are at that game (maybe 2x - 3x) than the NC game in Chatty. xnodx

I have no idea when they are out of school, but I would imagine next weekend is the last days of exams since they start on saturday. Meadowlands will have a great turnout, better than chatty, that's for damn sure.

jlcharles
December 10th, 2009, 12:07 PM
Vince Nicastro is a douche, so yeah, won't happen unfortunately.

wideright82
December 10th, 2009, 12:07 PM

We have probably half to 3/4 the average attendance of those schools and a fan base that we can't get to walk a 1/4 mile to our stadium, but you want them to go to Chatanooga, TN xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

GannonFan
December 10th, 2009, 12:09 PM
Chatty & the NCAA have gotta be rooting for Appy to win this weekend. Any combo of the other teams will result in thousands of empties.

To be honest, though, that's the case every year - Appy's pretty much in Chatty's backyard and as another poster said, plenty of the local buys are probably Appalachian St people anyway. Just the nature of FCS - having a local team will of course jack up the attendance - without one, espect no more than 15k.

AppChicago
December 10th, 2009, 12:22 PM
To be honest, though, that's the case every year - Appy's pretty much in Chatty's backyard and as another poster said, plenty of the local buys are probably Appalachian St people anyway. Just the nature of FCS - having a local team will of course jack up the attendance - without one, espect no more than 15k.

"Backyard" s a BIT of a stretch... I mean, it's a 5 hour drive from Boone, but most ASU alumni live in places like Charlotte (6 hrs) and Raleigh (7.5 hrs). So it still requires a day off of work, a substantial drive, and a hotel stay.

But yes. It's much closer for App than it is for any of the other teams playing. Especially Montana (duh).

TypicalTribe
December 10th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Got to think an ASU/W&M matchup would produce a great crowd. Plenty of fans within driving distance and a W&M fanbase excited about playing for their 1st NC. Heck, I've already got a planned itinerary up here from NJ and I've got other alums ready to come down from NYC, Boston and Chicago. Just need to get it done tomorrow night!

NovaWildcat
December 10th, 2009, 01:05 PM
Meadowlands will have a great turnout, better than chatty, that's for damn sure.

Finals start Saturday and end next Thursday (Friday for "late" exams). There's no reason to assume students would go to TN for this game...most students don't live anywhere near there and it's not like its during school when you could potentially get like a bus or something with a big group.

And yes, Meadowlands will have a much better turnout, probably around 3-5,000 Nova if I had to guess, and for good reason. #3 team in the country playing in a actual backyard.

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 10th, 2009, 01:06 PM
Got to think an ASU/W&M matchup would produce a great crowd. Plenty of fans within driving distance and a W&M fanbase excited about playing for their 1st NC. Heck, I've already got a planned itinerary up here from NJ and I've got other alums ready to come down from NYC, Boston and Chicago. Just need to get it done tomorrow night!

I agree with you. Chattanooga was happy with the turnout for Spiders vs. Grizzlies last year. I would imagine more WM fans would come than UR fans did last year.

GannonFan
December 10th, 2009, 01:13 PM
"Backyard" s a BIT of a stretch... I mean, it's a 5 hour drive from Boone, but most ASU alumni live in places like Charlotte (6 hrs) and Raleigh (7.5 hrs). So it still requires a day off of work, a substantial drive, and a hotel stay.

But yes. It's much closer for App than it is for any of the other teams playing. Especially Montana (duh).

Well, there also plenty of alumni and students who live in the Atlanta region and certainly part of Tennessee, especially compared with whomever they are playing. Considering most other schools are either flying in or driving over 10 hours, it is comparitively "backyard". Plus, due to Appy St's recent success, Appy fans know how to get there and where to stay without having to research and plan the whole trip.

The Moody1
December 10th, 2009, 01:21 PM
Well, there also plenty of alumni and students who live in the Atlanta region and certainly part of Tennessee, especially compared with whomever they are playing. Considering most other schools are either flying in or driving over 10 hours, it is comparitively "backyard". Plus, due to Appy St's recent success, Appy fans know how to get there and where to stay without having to research and plan the whole trip.

Here is where we all live.

http://www.alumni.appstate.edu/AlumniMap/framemap.htm

Grabholdofyosef
December 10th, 2009, 01:23 PM
I think the detour is still in affect, so it could impact some travel plans:

On October 25, 2009, Interstate 40 was closed between Asheville and Knoxville, Tennessee due to a landslide at Mile Marker 3 just east of the Tennessee state line. Traffic between the two cities is being detoured via Interstates 26 and 81, and non-heavy load traffic via US 25/70,[7] for several months while the slide is being cleared.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_40

Grabholdofyosef
December 10th, 2009, 01:26 PM
You think the 22 alums in Gallatin county Montana are getting a bus and making the trip?

89Hen
December 10th, 2009, 01:35 PM
Lots of Wall Street types coming out of App. xsmiley_wix

chattanoogamocs
December 10th, 2009, 01:38 PM
The nice thing about Chattanooga is...it is in a lot of FCS schools "backyard". :)

SpeedkingATL
December 10th, 2009, 01:51 PM
There are a lot of ASU alums here in ATL and it's a little less than 2 hours drive so no overnight required unless you want to. I'll be there rather ASU wins Saturday or not, but an ASU appearance would assure standing room only in all likelyhood especially if W&M are there. These games are just too damn much fun to attend if you're in the area.xsmiley_wix

JMUNJ08
December 10th, 2009, 01:54 PM

Pretty cool stuff. All schools should do something like this to keep alumni more in touch. I keep hearing every few weeks of other peeps working in NYC from JMU...

You think the 22 alums in Gallatin county Montana are getting a bus and making the trip?

Yes, what else would they be doing?

xlolxxlolxxlolx "Bang!" ... I think that was a shot!

GannonFan
December 10th, 2009, 02:11 PM

So from that map, there's at least 10,000 alums that are closer than Charlotte, and that's just using the minimum number of alumni in each color category. There are few schools that come anywhere close to that number of alumni in that kind of proximity to Chatty.

Thanks for the map.

The nice thing about Chattanooga is...it is in a lot of FCS schools "backyard". :)

Well, let's not get carried away - it's convenient for most SoCon schools (considering Appy St's, GSU's, and Furman's past participation in the game that's good) and for many OVC schools (considering their lack of playoff success over the past decade that's not as important). But outside of that, it's not a backyard game for most of FCS - of course, no place is any better, but just saying.

BloomHusky'01
December 10th, 2009, 02:19 PM
I bought two. I have an ambitious plan to attend all three National Championship games this year. D2 on 12/12, FCS on 12/18 and D3 on 12/19.

chattanoogamocs
December 10th, 2009, 02:19 PM
So from that map, there's at least 10,000 alums that are closer than Charlotte, and that's just using the minimum number of alumni in each color category. There are few schools that come anywhere close to that number of alumni in that kind of proximity to Chatty.

Thanks for the map.

Well, let's not get carried away - it's convenient for most SoCon schools (considering Appy St's, GSU's, and Furman's past participation in the game that's good) and for many OVC schools (considering their lack of playoff success over the past decade that's not as important). But outside of that, it's not a backyard game for most of FCS - of course, no place is any better, but just saying.

It is a lot more people's back yard than Dallas TX. :)

bluehenbillk
December 11th, 2009, 08:57 AM

That'd explain the economy going to hell. xlolx

AppIAA
December 11th, 2009, 09:31 AM
But outside of that, it's not a backyard game for most of FCS - of course, no place is any better, but just saying.

He said a lot.. a lot does not equate to most..

SideLine Shooter
December 11th, 2009, 10:44 AM
That'd explain the economy going to hell. xlolx

That is a real funny, but I have a serious question for you, well actually two questions.

1- Where are the Blue Hens playing this weekend?

2- What was the score from the 2007 N/C game with the great Joe Flacco at the helm?

xlolxxnodx