PDA

View Full Version : Semifinal Homefield Advantage?

GannonFan
December 8th, 2009, 01:33 PM
In the past 9 years, at least one semifinal game in the playoffs has seen the visiting team emerge victorious - in fact, last year was the first time since 1997 that both visiting teams advanced onto the championship. Will homefield matter much this weekend? Both home teams haven't won in the semis since '99 - how will it play out this weekend?

Skjellyfetti
December 8th, 2009, 01:42 PM
Both visiting teams advance.

93henfan
December 8th, 2009, 01:44 PM
Both visiting teams advance.

xnodx

JMU Newbill
December 8th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Hate to sound like sour grapes, but I'd love to see ASU break Montana's heart like Montana broke our heart last year. Losing in the semi-finals sucks. Losing in the semi-finals at home, sucks even worse.

I don't consider Villanova to have a home field advantage. They don't have a big enough fan base to make a difference. Not taking a shot at them, I know there are a lot of loyal fans (particularly on AGS), but I don't think they stadium atmosphere is condusive to supplying a "home field advantage".

ASUG8
December 8th, 2009, 03:26 PM
No question Montana poses the largest home field advantage of the two. I'm still calling for a split decision.

putter
December 8th, 2009, 03:33 PM
Hate to sound like sour grapes, but I'd love to see ASU break Montana's heart like Montana broke our heart last year. Losing in the semi-finals sucks. Losing in the semi-finals at home, sucks even worse.

I don't consider Villanova to have a home field advantage. They don't have a big enough fan base to make a difference. Not taking a shot at them, I know there are a lot of loyal fans (particularly on AGS), but I don't think they stadium atmosphere is condusive to supplying a "home field advantage".

Hey, we have already been there against UMass. Time for some vindication and make it from home....xnodx

SpeedkingATL
December 8th, 2009, 03:38 PM

A JMU guy pulling for ASU? Afraid to walk to my car as I might get struck by lightning.:D

Montana diffinately has a home field advantage but I think it can be overcome. Nova, not as much.

AAadict
December 8th, 2009, 04:25 PM

I don't disagree but I was impressed with the increased V fan base this season. Tailgating at V used to be mostly Hens fans. It seems Villanova fan base is certainly on the rise. Will it make an opposing team call time out...not close.

Grizaholic17
December 8th, 2009, 04:32 PM
This bodes an interesting discussion. Teams riding on home field advantage into the semifinal might not play with as much heart as the visiting team who wants to pull the upset. That's the only explanation I can come up with. I don't think skill level has anything to do with it seeing as how teams that make it to the semifinal have skills that counterbalance (most likely). That was an interesting stat GannonFan!

JohnStOnge
December 8th, 2009, 06:21 PM
I picked split just because of probability. But I believe Montana has the greatest home field advantage in FCS. If App wins at Montana I think they really will have accomplished something.

Ivytalk
December 8th, 2009, 06:32 PM
Split. Montana and W&M win.

GOKATS
December 8th, 2009, 06:35 PM
Split, ASU & Nova win.

State Line Liquors
December 8th, 2009, 07:16 PM
If the Appies can come back from that absolute slug fest with UR, including travel, weather, emotional highs and lows------then go out to Montana and do it again, then the best team in the country has been decided in my mind. I don't think App will be able to do it. I'm still exhausted from the ASU/UR game.

I'll pick W&M to play in the title. Beating them a second time is going to be awful hard.

100%GRIZ
December 8th, 2009, 10:12 PM
Split, ASU & Nova win.

Kind of hard to believe a cat fan would pick against the GRIZ!!! But he is right in part of his prediction - It will be a split but with the GRIZ & W&M winning!!!

grzftbl
December 8th, 2009, 10:20 PM
In the past 9 years, at least one semifinal game in the playoffs has seen the visiting team emerge victorious - in fact, last year was the first time since 1997 that both visiting teams advanced onto the championship. Will homefield matter much this weekend? Both home teams haven't won in the semis since '99 - how will it play out this weekend?

Sounds like it's only fitting BOTH home teams win this year then. ;)

jstclmet
December 8th, 2009, 10:35 PM
We were 4.3 seconds away from being undefeated at home in the past 3 seasons, playoffs included. I lost count, but I think it's something like 18 - 1 during that time frame.

As for that one "Hail Mary Pass", let's just say, I believe certain individuals clad in purple sold their souls for that outcome, and lost at home in the Semi's against a team from the west. They haven't won a playoff game since. xsmhx

But, no, there's no home field advantage here. Nothing to see, just keep things moving folks. Oh, yea, btw, the last two times that team from Williamsburg came up to the Mainline.....well, let's just say, it wasn't pretty. Must'a been a longer ride back.xwhistlex

GolfingGriz
December 8th, 2009, 10:39 PM
Split. Montana and William and Mary

Dblue
December 8th, 2009, 10:39 PM
I've got Montana and William & Mary advancing in my BracketMaker selections, but now I'm not so sure. I'm just hoping this weekend's games are half as exciting as the App-Richmond game.xbowx

GolfingGriz
December 8th, 2009, 10:46 PM
I've got Montana and William & Mary advancing in my BracketMaker selections, but now I'm not so sure. I'm just hoping this weekend's games are half as exciting as the App-Richmond game.xbowx

I think they will be. I think both games will be within a score. The only game I could see getting out of hand is the Montana Appy game cause alot of good teams have been blown out in WaGriz. Not saying it will happen, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Husky4Life
December 8th, 2009, 10:48 PM
Montana's homefield advantage is much bigger than Villanova's. Familiarity with each other pretty much negates any homefield advantage. ASU may have blown it's wad against Richmond. I like W&M & Montana in the final

Tribe07
December 8th, 2009, 10:50 PM
We were 4.3 seconds away from being undefeated at home in the past 3 seasons, playoffs included. I lost count, but I think it's something like 18 - 1 during that time frame.

As for that one "Hail Mary Pass", let's just say, I believe certain individuals clad in purple sold their souls for that outcome, and lost at home in the Semi's against a team from the west. They haven't won a playoff game since. xsmhx

But, no, there's no home field advantage here. Nothing to see, just keep things moving folks. Oh, yea, btw, the last two times that team from Williamsburg came up to the Mainline.....well, let's just say, it wasn't pretty. Must'a been a longer ride back.xwhistlex

I think we'd both agree that we'd trade any regular season win over the other for a W this Friday. Would be the first trip to the title game for either team.

Dblue
December 8th, 2009, 10:54 PM
I think they will be. I think both games will be within a score. The only game I could see getting out of hand is the Montana Appy game cause alot of good teams have been blown out in WaGriz. Not saying it will happen, but it wouldn't surprise me.

I can't see App getting blown out, not with Edwards on the field. On the other hand, if William & Mary starts soft like they did against SIU, the score won't be 3 -0, it will more likely be 21 -0.

JMU Newbill
December 9th, 2009, 07:16 AM

Yep... you caught us red handed. We haven't won a playoff game in about 12 months!!!! Just thought I'd point out, the last playoff game we won (12ish months ago), ended your season. But hey, I won't live in the past if you don't!

Good to hear the fan base/tailgating atmosphere/over all experience at Villanova is getting better. Still, I think with a small student population and potentially bad weather this weekend, not to mention a % of your faculty/students being gone due to the semester being over... you are going to see less than your peak attendance, which again I will say, does not provide much of a home field advantage.

jlcharles
December 9th, 2009, 07:20 AM
Yep... you caught us red handed. We haven't won a playoff game in about 12 months!!!! Just thought I'd point out, the last playoff game we won (12ish months ago), ended your season. But hey, I won't live in the past if you don't!

Good to hear the fan base/tailgating atmosphere/over all experience at Villanova is getting better. Still, I think with a small student population and potentially bad weather this weekend, not to mention a % of your faculty/students being gone due to the semester being over... you are going to see less than your peak attendance, which again I will say, does not provide much of a home field advantage.

I was just going to let the stupidity of his post slide and hope no one would notice and/or give it any attention.

But you're wrong on the students being gone. Finals start on Saturday, so they'll still all be there. Unless they are planning on not taking any of their finals. I'm expecting 8-10k for the game.

JMU Newbill
December 9th, 2009, 07:33 AM
A JMU guy pulling for ASU? Afraid to walk to my car as I might get struck by lightning.:D

Montana diffinately has a home field advantage but I think it can be overcome. Nova, not as much.

If it makes you feel safer, if ASU advances, I'll be cheering for whomever you are playing against.

In fact, I think this scenario (ASU at Montana) is the only scenario I would cheer on ASU.... and that's only because it is not (yet) possible for both teams to lose. If Montana was playing at ASU, I would probably cheer on Montana. In fact, yes, I am going to establish that as my personal rule.

It's nothing against either program or its fans, I just love to hate you!

In all honesty though.... this game has the potential to be the FCS game of the year.... and there have been some good ones already!

caribbeanhen
December 9th, 2009, 07:37 AM
I can't see App getting blown out, not with Edwards on the field. On the other hand, if William & Mary starts soft like they did against SIU, the score won't be 3 -0, it will more likely be 21 -0.

Agree with all that, and liked the under the table back slap at SIUxbowx

Catsfan2
December 9th, 2009, 09:24 AM
I think that home field advantage at this level has more to do with familiarity and comfort than it does with attendance. Can't speak to what happens in Montana, but I have been to the last 5 games that Villanova played at Delaware, (as well as the last 5 at Villanova) most full or nearly full houses. Perhaps I can't remeber, but I can't think of a single instance where the crowd affected the outcome of the game.
I also learned something interetsing at the Towson game this year -- while not an integral part of the city sports scene, Villanova is a "Philly" school. When the opponents' bands play any song associated with any of the Rocky movies (e.g., Eye of the Tiger, etc.), the Nova players get a lift, they feel it's being played to support them.

GannonFan
December 9th, 2009, 09:30 AM

When you're record is about equally as good on the road, it just means your team has been good over the past 2-3 years - it doesn't mean that all of a sudden your homefield has turned into a huge advantage. xthumbsupx

iceman4221
December 9th, 2009, 09:55 AM
Split, ASU & Nova win.

xnodx That's it right there!!! xnodx

Rekdiver
December 9th, 2009, 10:04 AM
I just see a tremendous amount of pressure on Montana playing at home. Noise aside, I believe it works to the advantage of ASU, the underdog. Do not underestimate Jerry Moore's and most of his assistants preparation of the team for this environment. They've been to the stadium before and know first hand what to expect.

Grabholdofyosef
December 9th, 2009, 10:08 AM
The crowd noise at Montana will probably be the deciding factor.

I just couldnt resist. To get the joke if you dont know it already, read the 15 pages dedicated to this discussion on the game thread.