PDA

View Full Version : Appalachian State's Run Highlights 2005 Season

Saint3333
December 22nd, 2005, 01:56 PM
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/AGN3995182.htm

Excellent article on Sportsnetwork, I really enjoyed reading the SoCon as the best conference for 2005 and the following:

BEST BET FOR 2006 NATIONAL TITLE: Appalachian State

Repeating is difficult, and replacing Richie Williams and Jason Hunter won’t be easy. But there still isn’t anybody out there with a better returning nucleus than Appalachian State. Trey Elder is a capable replacement at quarterback, Kevin Richardson is back at running back and most of the line returns on offense. The secondary is back intact, and Marques Murrell returns to lead the defensive line. Appalachian State was the best team in I-AA for the second half of the season, and has enough returning on both sides of the ball to claim that position again.

2006 PRESEASON TOP 10: Appalachian State, New Hampshire, Cal Poly, Georgia Southern, Illinois State, Montana, Northern Iowa, Massachusetts, James Madison, McNeese State.

December 22nd, 2005, 02:28 PM
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/AGN3995182.htm

2006 PRESEASON TOP 10:
Appalachian State
New Hampshire
Cal Poly
Georgia Southern
Illinois State
Montana
Northern Iowa
Massachusetts
James Madison
McNeese StateWow!!! :confused: :confused: :read:

OL FU
December 22nd, 2005, 02:33 PM
Wow!!! :confused: :confused: :read:

ISU! ISU! ISU!

Gotta to give him credit. He is not afraid to start early.

Saint3333
December 22nd, 2005, 02:35 PM
Who would be your top ten? I think ASU, NHU, UNI, and GSU are all good picks. The others listed will all be some of the favorites in their respective conferences.

bandl
December 22nd, 2005, 02:41 PM
Who would be your top ten? I think ASU, NHU, UNI, and GSU are all good picks. The others listed will all be some of the favorites in their respective conferences.
I don't see how GSU could be in anyone's top 10 with such a massive turnover in their program before next year.

OL FU
December 22nd, 2005, 02:43 PM
I don't see how GSU could be in anyone's top 10 with such a massive turnover in their program before next year.

The turnover is in the coaching staff. I think GSU will be top five.

bandl
December 22nd, 2005, 02:45 PM
The turnover is in the coaching staff. I think GSU will be top five.

IMO, I think the top ten ranking is more reputation than anything else. Revamping a powerhouse offensive style is surely going to have repercussions in the program. I don't think they'll make the playoffs next year.

:twocents: xcoffeex

OL FU
December 22nd, 2005, 02:47 PM

I don't think I am ready to think about it yet. but the start would probably be not in any order UNH, ASU,GSU,UNI,

bandl
December 22nd, 2005, 02:47 PM
BEST BET TO RISE IN 06: James Madison

The Dukes were probably a better team than their record indicated in 2005. James Madison lost a close game at Coastal Carolina, fell in tough conditions at Massachusetts, and couldn’t put it together in close losses against Delaware and Richmond. A three-game win streak to finish the season showed the Dukes can still contend, and key pieces from the 2004 championship run like Justin Rascati and Tony LeZotte remain. James Madison will have a more favorable home schedule and should be back in the playoffs in 2006.

:hyped: :hurray: :hyped: :hurray: :hyped: :hurray:

JMU Duke Dog
December 22nd, 2005, 02:48 PM

Excellent article on Sportsnetwork, I really enjoyed reading the SoCon as the best conference for 2005 and the following:

BEST BET FOR 2006 NATIONAL TITLE: Appalachian State

Repeating is difficult, and replacing Richie Williams and Jason Hunter won’t be easy. But there still isn’t anybody out there with a better returning nucleus than Appalachian State. Trey Elder is a capable replacement at quarterback, Kevin Richardson is back at running back and most of the line returns on offense. The secondary is back intact, and Marques Murrell returns to lead the defensive line. Appalachian State was the best team in I-AA for the second half of the season, and has enough returning on both sides of the ball to claim that position again.

2006 PRESEASON TOP 10: Appalachian State, New Hampshire, Cal Poly, Georgia Southern, Illinois State, Montana, Northern Iowa, Massachusetts, James Madison, McNeese State.

JMU must use 2005's disappointment to focus on going all the way in 2006. It is good to see the Dukes get some respect. The talent is definitely there for another great run; however, it just depends all on how the players step up in key situations in close games.

OL FU
December 22nd, 2005, 02:50 PM
IMO, I think the top ten ranking is more reputation than anything else. Revamping a powerhouse offensive style is surely going to have repercussions in the program. I don't think they'll make the playoffs next year.

:twocents: xcoffeex

Interesting. To be honest, my guess would that the coach does not revamp the offense the first year. He moves in that direction as he recruits. GSU will have almost everyone back from a 8-3 year. I don't know their ooc, but that have ASU at home and a weaker Furman. Other teams on the SoCon may give them problems but those probably will still be the big concerns.

I think you will be surprised.

bandl
December 22nd, 2005, 02:54 PM
Interesting. To be honest, my guess would that the coach does not revamp the offense the first year. He moves in that direction as he recruits. GSU will have almost everyone back from a 8-3 year. I don't know their ooc, but that have ASU at home and a weaker Furman. Other teams on the SoCon may give them problems but those probably will still be the big concerns.

I won't be upset if I'm surprised...I'm not a GSU hater by any means. A coaching change is definitely a big hurdle for any program to overcome. Correct me if I'm wrong...but i THOUGHT GSU was going with the new offensive style?? Or, did I just misinterpret it all to mean that, while the new coach has a different offensive style than the traditional GSU offense, he may or may not choose to implement his own offensive style.

JMU Duke Dog
December 22nd, 2005, 02:57 PM
BEST BET TO RISE IN 06: James Madison

The Dukes were probably a better team than their record indicated in 2005. James Madison lost a close game at Coastal Carolina, fell in tough conditions at Massachusetts, and couldn’t put it together in close losses against Delaware and Richmond. A three-game win streak to finish the season showed the Dukes can still contend, and key pieces from the 2004 championship run like Justin Rascati and Tony LeZotte remain. James Madison will have a more favorable home schedule and should be back in the playoffs in 2006.

:hyped: :hurray: :hyped: :hurray: :hyped: :hurray:

It is good to see that not every single person outside of the JMU nation has written the JMU Dukes off!

:xmas:

OL FU
December 22nd, 2005, 02:58 PM
I won't be upset if I'm surprised...I'm not a GSU hater by any means. A coaching change is definitely a big hurdle for any program to overcome. Correct me if I'm wrong...but i THOUGHT GSU was going with the new offensive style?? Or, did I just misinterpret it all to mean that, while the new coach has a different offensive style than the traditional GSU offense, he may or may not choose to implement his own offensive style.

And let me say something, I would not mind if you are correct.

Offense, I don't know. I read some of the threads and I heard they were implementing tight ends which are not included in the offensive set now. But that doesn't mean that every thing changes. Many teams run option with tight ends. My guess is that any good coach will use what he has to win which mean GSU will transition slowly to a new offense. I could be wrong. If the don't transition slowly and don't get I-A transfers to fill the slots, they I think you are correct. I think you will see a coach that runs the offense to win which may mean being mainly option in 2006, alittle less so in the following years.

Saint3333
December 22nd, 2005, 02:59 PM
OL FU I agree, GSU had a very young team this year, their d-line could be very scary next year.

bandl
December 22nd, 2005, 03:02 PM
It is good to see that not every single person outside of the JMU nation has written the JMU Dukes off!

:xmas:
I went to JMU... ;)

OL FU
December 22nd, 2005, 03:05 PM

and PS, when I say weaker Furman I don't mean a weak Furman. Obviously too early to predict but I would imagine FU would still be top 15 top 20 at worst and if the defense plays like it should be able to we might fool even me :D

bandl
December 22nd, 2005, 03:08 PM
And let me say something, I would not mind if you are correct.

Offense, I don't know. I read some of the threads and I heard they were implementing tight ends which are not included in the offensive set now. But that doesn't mean that every thing changes. Many teams run option with tight ends. My guess is that any good coach will use what he has to win which mean GSU will transition slowly to a new offense. I could be wrong. If the don't transition slowly and don't get I-A transfers to fill the slots, they I think you are correct. I think you will see a coach that runs the offense to win which may mean being mainly option in 2006, alittle less so in the following years.
Guess it all just depends on the coach, and whether he is willing to work with what's already in place, or try to put his own stamp on the program. I didn't go to GSU, have no direct affiliation with them (except I admire their history)...so I really have no idea. Maybe some knowledeable GSU folk can fill us in on what the new GU coach is actually going to do. Maybe MD at TSN already has the real inside scoop, hence the reason he gave them a preseason #4 ranking!!! :rotateh: :p

bandl
December 22nd, 2005, 03:13 PM
Can anyone tell me (in generalizations, please...I don't keep track of player names) about Illinois State? I don't know much about them, and would like to know what they got going on that justifies a #5 ranking. Didn't they lose to WKU and WIU, but also beat the poo out of UNI and SUI? Seems very off/on to me...sorta like another 2005 7-4 team I support.

OL FU
December 22nd, 2005, 03:14 PM
Guess it all just depends on the coach, and whether he is willing to work with what's already in place, or try to put his own stamp on the program. I didn't go to GSU, have no direct affiliation with them (except I admire their history)...so I really have no idea. Maybe some knowledeable GSU folk can fill us in on what the new GU coach is actually going to do. Maybe MD at TSN already has the real inside scoop, hence the reason he gave them a preseason #4 ranking!!! :rotateh: :p

I think we are in agreement.

JMU Duke Dog
December 22nd, 2005, 03:53 PM
I went to JMU... ;)

I have assumed that bandl. I think there are about four regular posters from JMU, and you probably now post the most per day! On my comment about having some respect from people outside of JMU nation, I was talking about the author of the article. I know that most in JMU nation still believe in this football team. I am looking forward to 2006 for the Dukes proving the rest of the I-AA nation how wrong they were in underestimating JMU football!