PDA

View Full Version : Southern fires Richardson

SUjagTILLiDIE
December 7th, 2009, 04:34 PM
Southern fires Richardson

By PERRYN KEYS
Advocate sportswriter
Published: Dec 7, 2009 - UPDATED: 4:17 p.m.

Southern fired head football coach Pete Richardson today, according to athletic director Greg LaFleur.

Richardson was relieved of his duties after his 17th season at the school. He compiled a 134-62-0 record.

His 2009 team finished 6-5 overall with a 3-4 record in the Southwestern Athletic Conference.

The Jaguars ended their season Saturday with a crushing 30-25 loss to Texas Southern in Houston.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/breaking/78718042.html

TexasTerror
December 7th, 2009, 04:55 PM
Just got the 'tweet' about it 20 minutes ago...amazing how fast things move in the age of socil media.

Any clue on the buyout and who is paying for it?

bluedog
December 7th, 2009, 05:08 PM
Just got the 'tweet' about it 20 minutes ago...amazing how fast things move in the age of socil media.

Now you know I'm not telling that until everything is done.

xsmiley_wix

SUjagTILLiDIE
December 7th, 2009, 05:22 PM

A rich alumnist lol.

813Jag
December 7th, 2009, 05:27 PM
I just got off the with my folks in br,was just about to post this.

bluedog
December 7th, 2009, 05:45 PM
THIS IS THE COMPLETE NEWS RELEASE FROM SOUTHERN UNIVERSITY:

Baton Rouge -- Southern University Athletic Director, Greg LaFleur, has announced that the University has relieved head football coach, Pete Richardson and his staff, of their duties effective immediately.

Damon Nivens, offensive line coach, will serve as interim coach until a replacement is named.

Total compensation has not yet been worked out.

"We sat down and did what was in the best interest of Southern University", says LaFleur.

The "Dean of the SWAC", Richardson's success as head of the football program has been well documented. Southern University had four, 11-win seasons and one 12 win season – the 2003 Championship season in Richardson's tenure. Richardson compiled a record of 134 wins and 62 losses in his 17 year tenure at SU. He also has 176 career wins as a head coach (.696 winning %) in his 20 years overall as a head coach. His 134 wins trailed on AW Mumford's 176 wins.

Richardson's honors include being named the Black Coaches Association's Coach of the Year in 1998, five-time SWAC Coach of the Year (1995, '97, '98, '99 and '03), Atlanta's 100% Wrong Club's Coach of the Year (1995, '97, '98, '99 and '03), Washington D.C.'s Pigskin Club's Coach of the Year (1995, '98 and '03), the Kodak Region IV Coach of the Year (1995) and the Sheridan Broadcasting Network's Coach of the Year (1997 & 2003).

Richardson's also had the distinction of being named the 1999 Nokia Sugar Bowl Louisiana Coach of the Year.

No timetable has been set at this time for bringing in a new coach, although Lafleur added that "the process would begin immediately."

DG Cowboy
December 7th, 2009, 06:49 PM
Well, it may have been time for him to go, but I hope he's remembered for all the good things he did. I liked the guy, but I bleed the McNeese blue and gold, not the Jags b and g.

JohnStOnge
December 7th, 2009, 07:28 PM
He had a great run. Some of his 1990s teams made me wish the SWAC was participating in the playoffs. The SWAC was shut out when it was participating and some of Richardson's teams may have been able to get rid of that goose egg. They were physical, run oriented teams that played great defense. And they did beat some I-AA playoff teams. His style changed over the years for some reason towards more of a finesse approach.

Anyway, he put out some great teams during the decade previous to this one.

SUjagTILLiDIE
December 7th, 2009, 07:38 PM
He had a great run. Some of his 1990s teams made me wish the SWAC was participating in the playoffs. The SWAC was shut out when it was participating and some of Richardson's teams may have been able to get rid of that goose egg. They were physical, run oriented teams that played great defense. And they did beat some I-AA playoff teams. His style changed over the years for some reason towards more of a finesse approach.

Anyway, he put out some great teams during the decade previous to this one.

The SWAC did participate in the playoffs until 99. SU and Gram didnt because of the Bayou Classic.

SU Jag
December 7th, 2009, 09:14 PM
I have mixed feelings about the move. Coach rich was the best coach I've ever played for, from little league ball through semi-pro ball. I cared about all of his players. He was the 1st person in the church when I got married. We would talk about life and things in general and he did that for all of his players. I hate to see what has happened over the past few years at su, but coach rich brought the glory days back to su, and we must not forget that.

Big Dawg
December 7th, 2009, 11:49 PM
The SWAC did participate in the playoffs until 99. SU and Gram didnt because of the Bayou Classic.

I also believe that some of those SU teams from the 90's would've made some noise in the playoffs.

SU Jag
December 8th, 2009, 06:44 AM
My question now is, who will be the new head coach at southern? I've been hearing different names from a few boosters I know but they really can't seem to agree on them though. The new coach at su must understand that he will be measured based on how many championships he wins. Just having a winning season at su, just aint gonna get it. Su is one of those jobs like alabama, nebraska, grambling, and ect. You're gonna be blessed with some of the best fans in the country, you will be paid well, but losing is not an option. Out of all the names I've been hearing, I'm not 100% sold on any of them. I think the administration needs to think outside the box, we need a proven winner at su. my personal pick for the job(even though I know we won't get him) would be pat sulivan from samford, or maybe even sylvester croom.

813Jag
December 8th, 2009, 08:49 AM
My question now is, who will be the new head coach at southern? I've been hearing different names from a few boosters I know but they really can't seem to agree on them though. The new coach at su must understand that he will be measured based on how many championships he wins. Just having a winning season at su, just aint gonna get it. Su is one of those jobs like alabama, nebraska, grambling, and ect. You're gonna be blessed with some of the best fans in the country, you will be paid well, but losing is not an option. Out of all the names I've been hearing, I'm not 100% sold on any of them. I think the administration needs to think outside the box, we need a proven winner at su. my personal pick for the job(even though I know we won't get him) would be pat sulivan from samford, or maybe even sylvester croom.
don't know how reliable it is but one the names I've heard is Clarence Shelmon (http://www.chargers.com/team/coaches/clarence-shelmon/3d9b9678-c4f2-4af1-9c6f-38a3bd6e4717) Chargers OC.

JSUBison
December 8th, 2009, 09:06 AM
So what's the reason for this? The guy had an excellent coaching record as far as I know. Something behind the scenes? Or is it really about not being top dog in the SWAC every year?

WileECoyote06
December 8th, 2009, 09:28 AM
So what's the reason for this? The guy had an excellent coaching record as far as I know. Something behind the scenes? Or is it really about not being top dog in the SWAC every year?

Some would say there have been a few inexcusable losses over the past five years. Add in Grambling's success in the classic the past two years, and that Southern hasn't won a SWAC championship since 2003, and there you have it.

Others say that the OC and DC weren't performing well enough.

Big Dawg
December 8th, 2009, 01:35 PM

Southern has been a mediocre team for a while now. They haven't had a truly outstanding season since they went 12-1 back in 2003.

GeauxColonels
December 8th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Some would say there have been a few inexcusable losses over the past five years. Add in Grambling's success in the classic the past two years, and that Southern hasn't won a SWAC championship since 2003, and there you have it.

Others say that the OC and DC weren't performing well enough.
Right there. He said it. I can't say I didn't see this coming after the administration gave him permission last week to talk with other schools about their positions. He did a great job at Southern.

mikebigg
December 9th, 2009, 06:14 PM
I've had the pleasure in the past of sitting and enjoying a meal with him (actually invited me over to his table to talk football...he learned that I was a Grambling grad). Got a rap from some as being reserved but he's really good people. I'm gonna send him a letter wishing him a happy retirement.