PDA

View Full Version : SHSU Head Coach Search

TexasTerror
December 7th, 2009, 03:47 PM
I have been informed the list should be available in the next 24 hours.

Sources have informed me that several BCS school position and coordinators have applied for the job. This includes a few former FBS head coaches that have taken teams to bowl games in the past...

Additionally, at least one, if not two NFL assistants.

Will post when it is official...

DG Cowboy
December 7th, 2009, 03:58 PM
To attract that caliber of applicants, what is the salary range and perks that Sam is offering?

TexasTerror
December 7th, 2009, 04:04 PM
To attract that caliber of applicants, what is the salary range and perks that Sam is offering?

Not sure...

The Hiring Salary is listed as "OPEN". I am guessing if the right candidate comes across, that the AD and Pres will go to the boosters and try to increase money...

Here's the ad...

http://www.shsu.edu/~hrd_www/employment/staff/HumanResources5600.htm

Sly Fox
December 8th, 2009, 10:12 AM
Sam is an intriguing opportunity. But I too wonder how they'll be able to afford to attract BCS assistants considering how well those non-Baylor schools pay folks these days.

TexasTerror
December 9th, 2009, 07:19 AM
The list...

Kansas wide receivers coach David Beaty
New Mexico offensive coordinator and former North Texas head coach Darrell Dickey
Central Missouri head coach Willie Fritz
University of Alabama-Birmingham offensive coordinator and former Houston head coach Kim Helton
Duke defensive coordinator Mike MacIntyre,
Miami secondary coach Wesley McGriff
Texas A&M-Commerce head coach and former Baylor, Kentucky head coach Guy Morriss
University of Houston co-offensive coordinator Jason Phillips
Klein Oak High School head coach Dave Smith
former A&M Consolidated and Killeen Harker Heights head coach Ross Rogers
Abilene Christian University head coach Chris Thomsen
Washington Redskins tight ends coach Scott Wachenheim

http://www.itemonline.com/sports/local_story_342203557.html?keyword=topstory

TexasTerror
December 9th, 2009, 07:22 AM
If I had my top three or four for interviews...

David Beaty
Mike MacIntyre
Jason Phillips
Chris Thomsen

Not sure I want one of those former FBS head coaches (Helton, Dickey, Morriss).Wachenheim is an interesting candidate, but not interested.

Phillips is probably the hottest commodity of the group...with MacIntyre VERY attractive with his Ga Tech degree (student-athletes first!) and NFL pedigree.

Libertine
December 9th, 2009, 07:43 AM
I've seen Wachenheim working up close. He's a passionate guy with a good mind for football and a great mind for people. Sam could do a lot lot worse.

TexasTerror
December 9th, 2009, 04:53 PM
This stinks from FootballScoop...

Murray State: Our sources tell us Mike MacIntyre withdrew his name from the search at Murray State and Sam Houston. We hear the administration is impressed with former Georgia Southern head coach Chris Hatcher.

MacIntyre would've made the final cut!

Hoyadestroya85
December 9th, 2009, 10:44 PM
I like Thomsen, he seems to be a hell of a recruiter.. knows the state etc.

BEAR
December 10th, 2009, 07:18 AM
What was wrong with Sam's former coach? I mean, he took you guys to...., um......he won........um.........nevermind. xlolx

TexasTerror
December 10th, 2009, 08:40 AM
I like Thomsen, he seems to be a hell of a recruiter.. knows the state etc.

Problem with him is the issues with the last D2 head coach we hired. I think if Thomsen is selected, he'd have to bring with him a staff with FCS and FBS experience, not his D2 staff from ACU and around the LSC.

Someone contended on KatFansthat Thomsen led ACU over TXST. Well - Whitten beat SHSU when he was at Tarleton!

gokats85
December 10th, 2009, 01:09 PM
What was wrong with Sam's former coach? I mean, he took you guys to...., um......he won........um.........nevermind. xlolx

Go ahead, offer him a job at UCA. What have you got to lose?!:D

Sly Fox
December 10th, 2009, 06:14 PM
It would appear recruiting connections probably wouldn't be much of a problem that entire list.

Count me among those think Coach Wach would be a great hire in Huntsville. For those thinking he is a triple-option only guy, ask some of the Big South folks what type of offense he ran over the top of them the past few years.