PDA

View Full Version : ASU Finally Wins a playoff game on the road...

theasushow
December 6th, 2009, 12:08 PM
All asu has heard for the past 5 years is "it must be nice to have all playoff games at home" or "lets see what happens if they play on the road" (especially from JMU fans). welp...it is just one game, but I think that the UR win did prove that APP can find playoff success away from the Rock. the real challenge is this week though.

theasushow
December 6th, 2009, 12:10 PM
p.s. i wasnt cheapshoting JMU fans, i feel like they actually have a legitmate argument as they had a few years there where they played brutal first round games away.

biggie
December 6th, 2009, 12:14 PM
With that many App fans though, how much of a road game was it? Same goes for at other games except ECU this year. No way over 1k App fans can make it to MT, which sucks.

ASUG8
December 6th, 2009, 12:15 PM
It's an away game - we do it all the time. Granted, the stakes are higher now against stronger competition, but we do fine on the road. Just a different jersey.

theasushow
December 6th, 2009, 12:17 PM
With that many App fans though, how much of a road game was it? Same goes for at other games except ECU this year. No way over 1k App fans can make it to MT, which sucks.

i agree, but the simple fact that the game WASNT played in KBS with a huge crowd made a difference. i dont think UR had that much of a homefield advantage, nothing like we will see with Montana.

Longhorn
December 6th, 2009, 12:21 PM
p.s. i wasnt cheapshoting JMU fans, i feel like they actually have a legitmate argument as they had a few years there where they played brutal first round games away.

Congratulations to ASU fans for the Black and Gold's come from behind win against a very tough UR team. It was an exciting game to watch.

Thanks for the clarification about the cheap-shot language....because it certainly comes across that way. xsmhx I would have suggested, however, you wait until the results from this coming Saturday are in before crowing too hard about winning one game on the road. Montana will indeed be a tough place to win, and should ASU pull it off (and I would never bet against AE and company to do just that) Mountaineers fans will have truly earned their way to Chatty this year should they get past the Griz. Montana can be beat at their place....UMass did it just a couple years ago....so let's hope for an exciting game and may the best team win. Either way, whichever team comes out of the West, I"m a firm believer that either W&M or Nova will take home the NC this year. xpeacex

spdram
December 6th, 2009, 12:26 PM
All asu has heard for the past 5 years is "it must be nice to have all playoff games at home" or "lets see what happens if they play on the road" (especially from JMU fans). welp...it is just one game, but I think that the UR win did prove that APP can find playoff success away from the Rock. the real challenge is this week though.

You trail almost the entire game, you make the winning score on a 3rd down play with :10 sec left in the game and you faced no real challenge. Then in a later post you criticze the Richmond fans (remember the difference in the size of the schools).

What a Toad!

Most ASU fans have shown nothing but class, they should ban you!

uofmman1122
December 6th, 2009, 12:28 PM
Either way, whichever team comes out of the West, I"m a firm believer that either W&M or Nova will take home the NC this year. xpeacexWow, it seems every team outside the CAA is now considered "West." xlolx :p

theasushow
December 6th, 2009, 12:33 PM
You trail almost the entire game, you make the winning score on a 3rd down play with :10 sec left in the game and you faced no real challenge. Then in a later post you criticze the Richmond fans (remember the difference in the size of the schools).

What a Toad!

i didnt mean the team wasnt a challenge (obviously it was) i meant the challenge of playing in a tough venue for the playoffs. like it or not, playing at richmond is one thing, playing at montana is a whole different animal.

Skjellyfetti
December 6th, 2009, 12:35 PM

What a Toad!

I think the "real challenge" he was refering to was comparing Wash-Griz to City Stadium... not Montana to Richmond.

theasushow
December 6th, 2009, 12:35 PM
I think the "real challenge" he was refering to was comparing Wash-Griz to City Stadium... not Montana to Richmond.

thanks. xnodx

ASUG8
December 6th, 2009, 12:38 PM

What a Toad!

I think you're making a little more out of it than what the OP intended. Playing at UR in front of 7300 fans (with half of them ASU) vs. playing at Wa-Griz with 25K+ (95% hostile) will be a much different game. The level of competition with either team is essentially equal IMO.

Longhorn
December 6th, 2009, 12:40 PM
Wow, it seems every team outside the CAA is now considered "West." xlolx :p

Even if ASU wins this coming weekend, they will be coming out of the West bracket by virtue of Montana's top seed, which is what I was referencing. Believe me, as a JMU fan, I'm acutely aware of where Boone is geographically located! ;)

BarefootApp
December 6th, 2009, 01:15 PM
There are ways to take the crowd out of a game, at least a little.....score early and keep playing. UM fans won't quit and neither will their players, so let's go enjoy it. The 2 most classy, knowledgeable FCS fans around, so limit whatever smack is floating around. Too much respect on both sides of the ball. Let's "shut up and hit somebody." Should be great and close.