PDA

View Full Version : For those MEAC critics

WVAPPmountaineer
December 6th, 2009, 08:23 AM
I have read for a week now that APP got lucky to be matched with SCSU in the 1st round because the MEAC is so bad - Here's my question - How many of you actually saw South Carolina State play???? - I waited until after the Richmond game to post this because I wanted to see how their vaunted defense did agains ASU - SCSU lost once before coming to Boone and that was to the SC Gamecocks, a game they trailed only 13-10 in the 2nd half. SCSU was the best defensive team we played all year - that includes Conf-USA champion ECU, that includes the #1 ranked defense in the country - Elon and that includes the defending national champs and their Stonewall Defense ---- If you guys from the CAA and other places think SCSU is a cupcake - call your AD and see if you can get them on your schedule ----

Mountaineer#96
December 6th, 2009, 08:24 AM
I have read for a week now that APP got lucky to be matched with SCSU in the 1st round because the MEAC is so bad - Here's my question - How many of you actually saw South Carolina State play???? - I waited until after the Richmond game to post this because I wanted to see how their vaunted defense did agains ASU - SCSU lost once before coming to Boone and that was to the SC Gamecocks, a game they trailed only 13-10 in the 2nd half. SCSU was the best defensive team we played all year - that includes Conf-USA champion ECU, that includes the #1 ranked defense in the country - Elon and that includes the defending national champs and their Stonewall Defense ---- If you guys from the CAA and other places think SCSU is a cupcake - call your AD and see if you can get them on your schedule ----

BUMP, BUMP, BUMP

Bogus Megapardus
December 6th, 2009, 08:54 AM
Ditto Holy Cross - arguably the most competitive team Villanova faced all year.

I can sense a a groundswell of anti-CAA sentiment arising. That's too bad because there are some very fine institutions in that conference (including two that just disbanded their football programs).

A little humility and recognition of the efforts of those who do not have access to the CAA's resources might go a long way.

JohnStOnge
December 6th, 2009, 09:10 AM

I think it's because no MEAC team has won a playoff game since, I think, 1999. Also, I have learned that you can't read to much into how a team plays against your team or how your team plays against one team. But to answer your question I did see portions of South Carolina State's opening game against Grambling State and the defense didn't look all that great at all as the Bulldogs won a 34-31 shootout. I just looked up the stats and South Carolina State gave up 26 first downs and 426 yards to Grambling. So if I was just judging on what I saw in watching some of that game while I was channel surfing games that day as well as what the stats were I wouldn't be impressed with South Caroline State's defense at all.

You just never know.

AppMAN04
December 6th, 2009, 09:26 AM
I am a fan of the Meac simply because I am located in the heart of the conference!! Ive been to games of A&T, Ive seen SC State play numerous battle of the border games and FAMU is on the come up 2010 this conference will have 2 teams in the playoffs and hopefully make some noise in the division. Hell the bands alone will have you dancing yo ass off!!

GO ASU!!

WVAPPmountaineer
December 6th, 2009, 09:35 AM
I think it's because no MEAC team has won a playoff game since, I think, 1999. Also, I have learned that you can't read to much into how a team plays against your team or how your team plays against one team. But to answer your question I did see portions of South Carolina State's opening game against Grambling State and the defense didn't look all that great at all as the Bulldogs won a 34-31 shootout. I just looked up the stats and South Carolina State gave up 26 first downs and 426 yards to Grambling. So if I was just judging on what I saw in watching some of that game while I was channel surfing games that day as well as what the stats were I wouldn't be impressed with South Caroline State's defense at all.

You just never know.

True - but remember our defense in the first month ----

JohnStOnge
December 6th, 2009, 10:00 AM
True - but remember our defense in the first month ----

Well, I wasn't going to say it but also McNeese's offense. Would you have thought based on watching that game that the Cowboys would only score 13 points in their playoff game? Pendland's hand was in a cast so he was taken out of the picture as a receiver and also saw only spot duty as a runner. But, even with that, would you have thought they would've scored only one touchdown and 13 points?

Then New Hampshire goes and plays Villanova. First time they played them they actually won the game. They didn't set the world on fire but they did get 368 yards of offense. Then yesterday they play Villanova and lose 46-7 while getting only 84 yards total offense. They didn't get their initial first down unitl the third quarter. I'd have picked Villanova to win the rematch but not that kind of dominance.

As an aside...it reminds me of something that happened in the Louisiana high school playoffs this past weekend. A school called Salmen played a school called Franklinton in the semifinals. It was a rematch of a game that went to overtime during the regular season with Franklinton winning 20-14. This time Franklinton won 60-0. Weird. There's a certain amount of predictability in football but there's an awful lot of unpredictability as well.

soccerguy315
December 6th, 2009, 11:37 AM

I can sense a a groundswell of anti-CAA sentiment arising. That's too bad because there are some very fine institutions in that conference (including two that just disbanded their football programs).

A little humility and recognition of the efforts of those who do not have access to the CAA's resources might go a long way.

why is this targeted at the CAA? the Montana guys are the ones who come around and say "you guys [CAA] get a bye in the first round, you get to play the MEAC or the PL so it pads your playoff stats."

And Villanova lost a game this year... to UNH. They might have a better argument for most competitive game.

Big Al
December 6th, 2009, 11:46 AM

Quoted for truth.

The CAA is the most competitive conference in the country and they have many fine teams but they're all beatable.

I've been thinking about it for a while now, and the one advantage the CAA hype machine creates is that, when a CAA team loses, they still believe in their ability to win games. That, imo, is huge -- but it really has nothing to do with talent, or facilities or coaching philosophies.

DSUrocks07
December 6th, 2009, 12:00 PM
I reject the belief that the MEAC is the worst playoff conference in FCS. Hampton was a great team when they were on top of the MEAC. SC State is a great team now. Everything fell into place for our conference championship season. Not to mention that we ran into the buzzsaw of Delaware. So years like that also perpetuate that notion. Some people (mainly UD fans) think that this was our "best team ever" xlolx

Well belief what you want, but a team winning its conference is an accomplishment and nine times out of ten that team got there because they are a great team. There are no "easy outs" in the playoffs...that's why we have them.

WVAPPmountaineer
December 6th, 2009, 12:41 PM
I reject the belief that the MEAC is the worst playoff conference in FCS. Hampton was a great team when they were on top of the MEAC. SC State is a great team now. Everything fell into place for our conference championship season. Not to mention that we ran into the buzzsaw of Delaware. So years like that also perpetuate that notion. Some people (mainly UD fans) think that this was our "best team ever" xlolx

Well belief what you want, but a team winning its conference is an accomplishment and nine times out of ten that team got there because they are a great team. There are no "easy outs" in the playoffs...that's why we have them.

because of the stupid NCAA and the geographical pairings instead of seeding all teams the MEAC and the Patriot are always matched with a top CAA or SoCon team

I remember 99 when FAMU came into Boone and kicked our butts

NovaHater
December 6th, 2009, 01:08 PM

What ?

How in the world do you figure that ?

Final score ? TOP ? Yds gained ?

Did you see the Temple/Nova game ? That among several others was one of the most competitive

If you want to take pride in losing by 10 points, you need a lot more than humility and recognition

JohnStOnge
December 6th, 2009, 01:51 PM
I reject the belief that the MEAC is the worst playoff conference in FCS. Hampton was a great team when they were on top of the MEAC..

"Worst" is kind of subjective in some sense but as far as I can tell the MEAC is certainly the least successful playoff conference over the past 10 tournaments including this one as it's the only auto bid conference that has had no teams win any playoff games at all. As far as I can tell the last time a MEAC team won a playoff game was when Florida A&M beat Troy in the 1999 quarterfinals. The OVC is next in terms of futility in that the last time a team from that conference won a playoff game was in 2000 as Western Kentucky (then OVC) won a first round game against...you guessed it...a MEAC team (Florida A&M).

Only way to change the perception is to start doing better in the tournament. My own school's conference, the Southland, is largely in the same position. Not quite as bad because it's won some playoff games and had at least some teams go pretty deep into the tournament over the past 10 years. But I certainly think the Southland is looked upon as an easy draw and I know the only way to change that is to have Southland teams start being more competetive during the post season.

Big Dawg
December 6th, 2009, 03:57 PM
One thing you have to notice is that the MEAC only gets one team in every year. What are the records for one-bid conferences in the playoffs?

State Line Liquors
December 6th, 2009, 04:03 PM
why is this targeted at the CAA? the Montana guys are the ones who come around and say "you guys [CAA] get a bye in the first round, you get to play the MEAC or the PL so it pads your playoff stats."

And Villanova lost a game this year... to UNH. They might have a better argument for most competitive game.

Or Temple, who Nova beat with a field goal as time expired and were losing to through 3 quarters.

WVAPPmountaineer
December 6th, 2009, 04:05 PM
One thing you have to notice is that the MEAC only gets one team in every year. What are the records for one-bid conferences in the playoffs?

And as I mentioned because of the stupid regionalization the one MEAC is either playing the top SoCon team or CAA team ----

State Line Liquors
December 6th, 2009, 04:11 PM
Did I miss something here?

There were ASU fans that were arguing about how they didn't need to run Armanti last week to win against SCSU. I was being told he was being held back and yelled at by coaches after getting loose. It was evident that wasn't the case last night.

If those posts last week were accurate, this thread is officially meaningless.

State Line Liquors
December 6th, 2009, 04:34 PM

Define the word great.

Head Cat
December 6th, 2009, 04:36 PM

You just never know.
But that was the first game of the year. That would be like judging App State's defense now to what it did against McNeese State.

WVAPPmountaineer
December 6th, 2009, 04:52 PM
Did I miss something here?

There were ASU fans that were arguing about how they didn't need to run Armanti last week to win against SCSU. I was being told he was being held back and yelled at by coaches after getting loose. It was evident that wasn't the case last night.

If those posts last week were accurate, this thread is officially meaningless.

True - AE wasn't given the green light to run - also look at Devon Moore's numbers between SCSU and UR - The SCSU defense was big, quick, sure tacklers and mixed their blitzes up - they pressured Armanti the entire game and if had had less than the best QB in the country we would not have won that game - Also, SCSU lost their Payton nominee RB Will Ford late in the 3rd Q with a knee injury - They are good and as I said before - Hey, if you think they are a cupcake get your AD to schedule them ----

State Line Liquors
December 6th, 2009, 04:56 PM
True - AE wasn't given the green light to run

Sorry, you were saying......?????

DSUrocks07
December 6th, 2009, 04:59 PM
Define the word great.

SC State does not meet your definition of "great"? xeyebrowx

State Line Liquors
December 6th, 2009, 05:03 PM
SC State does not meet your definition of "great"? xeyebrowx

I typically reserve the word 'great' for someone who is head and shoulders better than everyone else.

You?

JohnStOnge
December 6th, 2009, 05:06 PM
But that was the first game of the year. That would be like judging App State's defense now to what it did against McNeese State.

Sure. But the question was whether or not we'd seen South Carolina State play and the answer for me is "yes." The big thing is, though, that the MEAC hasn't won a playoff game since 1999 so it's natural for people to look at drawing a MEAC team as a relatively easy draw. And going in it would've been natural for people to wonder how good South Carolina State's defense really was because they didn't play any FCS teams outside of the HBCU world until they played Appalachian State. It appears they did a good job against App. But next year when the MEAC champ goes into the playoffs it'll be going in under circumstances in which it's been 10 years since anybody from their league has won a playoff game. So people are going to tend to expect them to lose.

JohnStOnge
December 6th, 2009, 05:11 PM

Well, all the auto bid conferences only get one bid so I'm assuming you mean other conferences when they don't get at large berths so that they just have one team in. Without looking I'm assuming Montana has won some playoff games when it was the only Big Sky team in the playoffs. I know McNeese was the only team from the Southland that got into the tournament when it reached the championship game in 2002.

It's kind of hard to judge because if you get more at large bids it implies you're a tougher conference to begin with. The CAA gets a lot of at large bids then the teams that get in prove they deserved them.

DSUrocks07
December 6th, 2009, 05:14 PM
I typically reserve the word 'great' for someone who is head and shoulders better than everyone else.

You?

SC State won the MEAC...two years in a row, 19 straight conference victories...yeah I think that would be a "great" MEAC team.

State Line Liquors
December 6th, 2009, 05:22 PM
SC State won the MEAC...two years in a row, 19 straight conference victories...yeah I think that would be a "great" MEAC team.

You chose the qualifier, not me.

DSUrocks07
December 6th, 2009, 05:24 PM
You chose the qualifier, not me.

That's my definition. And I'm sticking to it. xthumbsupx

Brad82
December 6th, 2009, 05:26 PM
SCSU,Hampton and FAMU all have had strong teams over the years.
But check out the leagues OCR's and playoff records. Add SWAC's playoff records and see what you get.

Maddog
December 6th, 2009, 05:44 PM
I feel like this. SC State and other MEAC entrants in the playoff field have not faired well. I feel the playoffs are the zenith of how you measure up with the nation's top programs. SC State did not fair well this year, and we take our loss for what it is. Like my App friend wrote in the thread earlier, if you think SC State will give a program a quick "W", put us on your schedule. SC State currently is looking to fill at least two slots on its schedule in 2010. I know scheduling is a challenge this late in the game, but hey, let's dance. This is the same "BCS" bs that's wrong with the FBS. The "Power" conferences won't schedule non-"power" conference opponents in the regular season for two reasons; it's too risky, and those conferences want to pad their victory columns or mask them with losses to FBS schools. Again, SC State is just a cup cake, come get an easy "W".

Big Dawg
December 6th, 2009, 05:56 PM

You?

That's the definition of "Best"

UAalum72
December 6th, 2009, 06:03 PM
MEAC got two teams in 2003, when FAMU and Bethune-Cookman both lost in the first round.

FAMU and NCA&T got three wins between them in 1999.

Native
December 6th, 2009, 06:11 PM

I don't think many folks think MEAC is the worst conference in the FCS, or that South Carolina State is a cupcake.

State Line Liquors
December 6th, 2009, 06:13 PM

Not trying to beat the bushes too much about Webster's here, but you're not far off.

Typically teams that are the best are great. At our level, typically being great or the best means being better than everyone. DSURocks chose to use the word 'great', then he qualified it. Fair?

WVAPPmountaineer
December 6th, 2009, 06:21 PM
I feel like this. SC State and other MEAC entrants in the playoff field have not faired well. I feel the playoffs are the zenith of how you measure up with the nation's top programs. SC State did not fair well this year, and we take our loss for what it is. Like my App friend wrote in the thread earlier, if you think SC State will give a program a quick "W", put us on your schedule. SC State currently is looking to fill at least two slots on its schedule in 2010. I know scheduling is a challenge this late in the game, but hey, let's dance. This is the same "BCS" bs that's wrong with the FBS. The "Power" conferences won't schedule non-"power" conference opponents in the regular season for two reasons; it's too risky, and those conferences want to pad their victory columns or mask them with losses to FBS schools. Again, SC State is just a cup cake, come get an easy "W".

Love it Maddog - I know the APP fan base has pushed for home and home with SCSU - it would be great and is accessible to most all our fans but with APPs scheduling Montana and McNeese home and home during the regular season over the next few years + our FBS games at Florida, Georgia and VA Tech it doesn't leave us much room - however I bet some of these big bad talkers have open spots on their schedule - Wonder if your AD will get any calls????

JohnStOnge
December 6th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Love it Maddog - I know the APP fan base has pushed for home and home with SCSU - it would be great and is accessible to most all our fans but with APPs scheduling Montana and McNeese home and home during the regular season over the next few years + our FBS games at Florida, Georgia and VA Tech it doesn't leave us much room - however I bet some of these big bad talkers have open spots on their schedule - Wonder if your AD will get any calls????

The thing is, there appears to be very little room for non conference FCS opponents on South Carolina State schedules. I just looked at their 2009 schedule and 9 of their 11 games were MEAC contests. Their two non conference games were against Grambling and Clemson.

Brad82
December 6th, 2009, 06:54 PM
I saw SCSU play App. State and was quite impressed. Thought they could have won game. AE was great equalizer though. I was not impressed with some of the scores teams like-McNeese,SIU,etc.,put up vs. CAA teams. Rhody differential was better! SCSU=top 10 team this year-my 2 cents. However I have played against some equally powerful teams-UNH-1984 (9-2),Holy Cross-1984 (8-3) and Delaware -1985-(8-3) w/Rich Gannon and they were not even in playoffs due to the Yankee conference opponent scheduling. SCSU is average team in CAA-year in,year out.

catdaddy2402
December 6th, 2009, 06:54 PM
- however I bet some of these big bad talkers have open spots on their schedule - Wonder if your AD will get any calls????
I wouldn't hold your breath.

Big Dawg
December 6th, 2009, 07:44 PM
MEAC got two teams in 2003, when FAMU and Bethune-Cookman both lost in the first round.

FAMU and NCA&T got three wins between them in 1999.

FAMU didn't make it to the playoffs in 2003

State Line Liquors
December 6th, 2009, 08:03 PM
Could somebody else please explain to Head Cat that if he disagrees with one of my posts, he should actually respond to it next time before he give me a red chicklet on my reputation?

DSUrocks07
December 6th, 2009, 08:06 PM
Could somebody else please explain to Head Cat that if he disagrees with one of my posts, he should actually respond to it next time before he give me a red chicklet on my reputation?

Fail...xnonono2x

http://daveintexas.files.wordpress.com/2006/10/kitten_hostage.jpg

UAalum72
December 6th, 2009, 08:08 PM
FAMU didn't make it to the playoffs in 2003
My mistake - Bethune-Cookman lost to FAU and NCA&T lost to Wofford

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 6th, 2009, 08:13 PM
Fail...xnonono2x

http://daveintexas.files.wordpress.com/2006/10/kitten_hostage.jpg

xlolxxlolxxlolxxthumbsupxxthumbsupx

Reign of Terrier
December 6th, 2009, 08:18 PM
NCA&T lost to Wofford

I was there:)

89Hen
December 7th, 2009, 09:21 AM
If you guys from the CAA and other places think SCSU is a cupcake - call your AD and see if you can get them on your schedule ----
Not sure anyone from the CAA or anywhere else said SCSt is a cupcake, but the MEAC surely is. SCSt was CLEARLY the class of the MEAC. Their average score in conference games was 34-11 and they are 18-0 in the last two years in conference. Is there another team in I-AA that is undefeated in the last two years in conference? The Griz are 15-1 and we all know the flack they've taken for being the "Montana and others" conference.

I think SCSt would have beaten several of the other playoff teams, but I don't think they would have beaten more than half and had they played in the CAA, SoCon, MVC, etc... this year, I'm not sure they would have made the playoffs. xpeacex

WileECoyote06
December 7th, 2009, 09:41 AM
Not sure anyone from the CAA or anywhere else said SCSt is a cupcake, but the MEAC surely is. SCSt was CLEARLY the class of the MEAC. Their average score in conference games was 34-11 and they are 18-0 in the last two years in conference. Is there another team in I-AA that is undefeated in the last two years in conference? The Griz are 15-1 and we all know the flack they've taken for being the "Montana and others" conference.

I think SCSt would have beaten several of the other playoff teams, but I don't think they would have beaten more than half and had they played in the CAA, SoCon, MVC, etc... this year, I'm not sure they would have made the playoffs. xpeacex

App went 16-0 vs the SoCon in 08 and 09.

89Hen
December 7th, 2009, 10:00 AM
App went 16-0 vs the SoCon in 08 and 09.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67032

SU Jag
December 7th, 2009, 10:08 AM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67032

Do you know where you are. Man these cats aren't about to give the meac any props, I don't care how many facts you bring up. Sc state played well against app last year but comming into this year all you heard was how sc state didn't belong with the big boys, and before the playoff game all you heard was how app was gonna beat the hell out of sc state. And when it turned out to be a close game, all you heard was how app. State wasn't any good because the struggled with the bulldogs. Its the same shat every year, I've come not to expect anything different.

89Hen
December 7th, 2009, 10:27 AM
Do you know where you are. Man these cats aren't about to give the meac any props, I don't care how many facts you bring up. Sc state played well against app last year but comming into this year all you heard was how sc state didn't belong with the big boys, and before the playoff game all you heard was how app was gonna beat the hell out of sc state. And when it turned out to be a close game, all you heard was how app. State wasn't any good because the struggled with the bulldogs. Its the same shat every year, I've come not to expect anything different.
Where was this? xconfusedx

YoUDeeMan
December 7th, 2009, 10:36 AM
What ?

How in the world do you figure that ?

Final score ? TOP ? Yds gained ?

Did you see the Temple/Nova game ? That among several others was one of the most competitive

If you want to take pride in losing by 10 points, you need a lot more than humility and recognition

Temple beat themselves.

SU Jag
December 7th, 2009, 12:09 PM
Where was this? xconfusedx

Man you're on the same forum I'm on you can read the app.state/richmond thread, or just search sc state or meac. Don't act like you've never read this stuff before.

JMUNJ08
December 7th, 2009, 12:25 PM

Never said that the MEAC was a cupcake THIS YEAR. Past years didn't help but everyone knew SCST was a worthy opponent. Maybe compared to UR/W&M in the first round easier to some but NOT a cupcake.

JMUNJ08
December 7th, 2009, 12:29 PM

Please give examples of the folks who thought the game would be a blowout...xcoffeex

SCST is good, well coached, and lacking big games during the year minus the gamecocks. They were on everyone's radar but no one had a good gauge on them just like Montana this year.

WVAPPmountaineer
December 7th, 2009, 01:12 PM

You didn't hear that from knowledgeable APP fans - we knew we were in for a real battle when we saw we had to play SCSU again - As for the SoCon - SCSU would have battled Elon for 2nd place in the SoCon, they were that good ----

89Hen
December 7th, 2009, 01:21 PM
all you heard was how sc state didn't belong with the big boys, and before the playoff game all you heard was how app was gonna beat the hell out of sc state.

Man you're on the same forum I'm on you can read the app.state/richmond thread, or just search sc state or meac. Don't act like you've never read this stuff before.
There's a big difference between "all you heard" and "never". I actually did search earlier and couldn't find much conversation to the bad or good about SCSt. I do know that most serious AppSt posters had nothing but good things to say about SCSt before and after the game. xpeacex

SU Jag
December 7th, 2009, 01:39 PM
I never said app.state posters, I was talking about posters in general. Sc state proved its point, and they'll be back next year. So will famu.

89Hen
December 7th, 2009, 01:55 PM
I never said app.state posters, I was talking about posters in general. Sc state proved its point, and they'll be back next year. So will famu.
Where will FAMU still be?

And I haven't found the posts about App beating the hell out of SCSt.

WVAPPmountaineer
December 8th, 2009, 07:42 AM

Moving on Big Dawg - Don't you guys feel Joe Taylor will get things hopping for FAMU - when at Hampton he seemed to have more players going onto the NFL than any FCS program - and with all the talent there in Florida the feeling must be that you guys are on your way back - Just don't come to Boone like you did in '99 xlolx

mikebigg
December 9th, 2009, 06:18 PM

You just never know.

John,

I'm biased but Grambling's offense (especially running the ball) would test anyone's defense. Don't know why our OC didn't make it more run oriented...hope he wasn't influenced by the clamor from our fans for a more wide open/pass oriented offense. We decided (finally) to start giving it to our two talented running backs and it paid off...especially in the Classic..

Not trying to toot Gram's horn...but simply stating that SC State's defense was good, real good. We just had success running the ball and should have been better (record wise) than what we showed. I think we never got our swagger back from that game...though we finished with a winning record, we underachieved.

WestCoastAggie
December 10th, 2009, 11:15 AM
The MEAC will be a force in the playofs, IF we keep our AQ, in the upcoming decade. Most MEAC teams are improving and are recruiting better HS and JUCO/1-A talent. The Coaching is also getting better.

But I digress. SCSU caused App. St. to play a very bad game and had the game locked up until a botched FG snap but hey, chit happens.

Kudos to App. State for winning 2 close playoff games. The Mountaineers have the up-most respect from the MEAC and point blank, we need to play the Southern Conference more often. I guarantee you that there will be closer games between the MEAC & the So. Con down the road

WVAPPmountaineer
December 10th, 2009, 11:49 AM
The MEAC will be a force in the playofs, IF we keep our AQ, in the upcoming decade. Most MEAC teams are improving and are recruiting better HS and JUCO/1-A talent. The Coaching is also getting better.

But I digress. SCSU caused App. St. to play a very bad game and had the game locked up until a botched FG snap but hey, chit happens.

Kudos to App. State for winning 2 close playoff games. The Mountaineers have the up-most respect from the MEAC and point blank, we need to play the Southern Conference more often. I guarantee you that there will be closer games between the MEAC & the So. Con down the road

I thought A&T and Elon had a good thing in the works but Bill Hayes (I believe) from what I read, kept complaining that A&T would fill up the Elon stadium but the Elon people wouldn't come to Aggie Stadium - In truth, he was correct, but Elon doesn't fill any stadium - even their own without the opposition bringing half the crowd - so I'm not sure that was a good enough reason for A&T to drop Elon ----

catdaddy2402
December 10th, 2009, 11:57 AM
There's a big difference between "all you heard" and "never". I actually did search earlier and couldn't find much conversation to the bad or good about SCSt. I do know that most serious AppSt posters had nothing but good things to say about SCSt before and after the game. xpeacex

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66541&highlight=state&page=7

Do y'all really think this is going to be a close game

I just don't see it

If AE is playing this is a walk away

App State 35, SCSU 14.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66541&highlight=state&page=16

Appy wins this one....not even close

That's just one thread

Aho_Old_Guy
December 10th, 2009, 12:26 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66541&highlight=state&page=7

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66541&highlight=state&page=16

That's just one thread

See if you can find any more cherries to pick .... xrolleyesx

SCSt has a fine ball team with some great athletes on defense. If an adequate replacement for Ford can be found they will make some noise in the playoffs next year, and they should rightfully be hosting a game ...

WestCoastAggie
December 10th, 2009, 12:33 PM
I thought A&T and Elon had a good thing in the works but Bill Hayes (I believe) from what I read, kept complaining that A&T would fill up the Elon stadium but the Elon people wouldn't come to Aggie Stadium - In truth, he was correct, but Elon doesn't fill any stadium - even their own without the opposition bringing half the crowd - so I'm not sure that was a good enough reason for A&T to drop Elon ----

It's true. they didn't help fill it up and at A&T, making money at the game is just as important as winning the game. As much as I want to see Elon play A&T again, they got to get over any reservations they have about coming to the Eastside of Greensboro and help fill up Aggie Stadium.

A&T also needs to continue to improve as well and bring in a marketing team that will actively and effectively market Aggie Football all over the triad.

Its a two way street but it can be done.

89Hen
December 10th, 2009, 01:39 PM

That's just one thread
xthumbsupx Thanks for the assist on proving my point. 45 page thread with 448 posts and three comments thinking App was going to win by a lot.

FWIW, I think there were at least 3 posts who said SCSt was going to win. There are always people who are wrong. xpeacex

BTW, looking at the thread from the start, there were at least three App fans on the FIRST PAGE that said they thought it would be a tough, close game.

WVAPPmountaineer
December 10th, 2009, 01:47 PM
It's true. they didn't help fill it up and at A&T, making money at the game is just as important as winning the game. As much as I want to see Elon play A&T again, they got to get over any reservations they have about coming to the Eastside of Greensboro and help fill up Aggie Stadium.

A&T also needs to continue to improve as well and bring in a marketing team that will actively and effectively market Aggie Football all over the triad.

Its a two way street but it can be done.

You are right about many of now elitist Elon folks not coming to East Greensboro however the problem is much deeper in the fact that Elon fans rarely go anywhere - back in the old days we played W-S State and NC Central and I was always there with many, many Elon fans - It is just a different culture there now ---- My daughter and son-in-law went to Aggie Stadium the last time Elon played there and she said Elon maybe had 100 fans ----

WestCoastAggie
December 10th, 2009, 04:54 PM
You are right about many of now elitist Elon folks not coming to East Greensboro however the problem is much deeper in the fact that Elon fans rarely go anywhere - back in the old days we played W-S State and NC Central and I was always there with many, many Elon fans - It is just a different culture there now ---- My daughter and son-in-law went to Aggie Stadium the last time Elon played there and she said Elon maybe had 100 fans ----

That was back in '06 I believe but anyways, it can be said that whomever we play that isn't in the MEAC (or an HBCU), their fans need to get over any reservations and prejudices they feel about playing on the Eastside of Greensboro. They will not get robbed and contrary to popular belief, A&T doesn't have thugs. A&T has one helluva Game Day Atmosphere and the tailgating is fantastic!

ElonPride
January 8th, 2010, 01:57 PM
That was back in '06 I believe but anyways, it can be said that whomever we play that isn't in the MEAC (or an HBCU), their fans need to get over any reservations and prejudices they feel about playing on the Eastside of Greensboro. They will not get robbed and contrary to popular belief, A&T doesn't have thugs. A&T has one helluva Game Day Atmosphere and the tailgating is fantastic!

I addressed this a couple years ago on the MEAC forum, but I ran into a pretty weird evet AT A&T. I sat there when Elon was getting beaten pretty badly, and had racial slurs yelled at me just about the entire 4th quarter, and while walking out of the stadium. It doesn't sour my take on most of the fans from T, but it sure as heck left an imprint.