PDA

View Full Version : APPALACHIAN STATE VS. MONTANA 2009 NATIONAL SEMIFINAL

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

09griz
December 5th, 2009, 09:50 PM
As a Griz fan I'm excited as hell about this matchup. Two biggest programs in the FCS....Most wins this decade vs. Most championships this decade. I love the implications.

Thoughts?

theasushow
December 5th, 2009, 09:50 PM
it's finally here....

appstate38
December 5th, 2009, 09:52 PM
Bring on the Griz....... This is gonna be a great one!!!!!

GreatAppSt
Thoughts? Which one of ya is going to put me up if I drive from TX?

ItsyBitsySpider
Should be a beauty. First to 75.

theasushow
December 5th, 2009, 09:54 PM
oops, apparently we already had a thread...sorry the server was being really slow when i submitted this one.

09griz
December 5th, 2009, 09:54 PM
Dream game. Gotta say it.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
December 5th, 2009, 09:55 PM
I got 1 word:

STOKED!!!!xthumbsupxxbowx

appmaj
December 5th, 2009, 09:56 PM
BIG GAME!

gbhmt
December 5th, 2009, 09:56 PM
Dream game. Gotta say it.

Absolutely!

appstate38
December 5th, 2009, 09:58 PM
Maybe one of these days we can get you guys in Boone for a post season affair.... But till then this monster will have to do.

appmaj
Just got a mention on the Texas/Nebraske game...Herstreet and Nestler giving some love.
DA Herbstreet called us "Appy"

appmaj
Appsolutely!

FIFY

GreatAppSt
This sure as hell better be the Saturday game!!!

LacesOut
December 5th, 2009, 09:59 PM
Can't wait to see this one!

Winner scores in the mid 40's??

09griz
December 5th, 2009, 09:59 PM
Get ready for another record crowd, boys! So do you think that Montana (91 unanswered points in 5.5 quarters) has finally hit a stride to where we can play with App State's offensive behemoth? I'd argue that.

paul1978
December 5th, 2009, 10:00 PM
It just keeps getting better and better. I'm so stoked to have App St coming to Missoula. I'll be there yelling my head off.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
December 5th, 2009, 10:01 PM

This was on the Missoulian site and I am hoping for that as well.

Montana will find out Sunday whether that semifinal will be Friday at 6 p.m. or Saturday at a time to be determined by ESPN.

AppStateold299
December 5th, 2009, 10:03 PM
This has been the game that everyone has been waiting for! I can't wait for this game. If this doesn't get national television time they are idiots.

AppChicago
December 5th, 2009, 10:03 PM
Boone to Missoula's a mere 36 hour drive, and flights from Charlotte or Raleigh to Missoula are just 800 bucks...

So there should be a HUGE ASU presence at this game!

DSUrocks07
December 5th, 2009, 10:04 PM
would this be AE's first trip to Missoula?

1appfan
December 5th, 2009, 10:05 PM
45-38 Good Guys! Give'em Hell Apps!

soccerguy315
December 5th, 2009, 10:07 PM
This has been the game that everyone has been waiting for! I can't wait for this game. If this doesn't get national television time they are idiots.

both games next week are on TV, ESPN2 (I think 2)

09griz
I'm honored that AE's last game will be at Washington Griz.......

Shellin
would this be AE's first trip to Missoula?

Yeah, ASU hasn't played the Griz since a Semifinal visit up here in 2000.

AppStateold299
December 5th, 2009, 10:12 PM
I'm honored that AE's last game will be at Washington Griz.......

It won't be his last game! He still has one more win after the Griz. You guys are merely another step along AE's career of greatness. He is leaving on top! I am stoked to see him at 100% next week. He looked pretty good tonight. It is going to be quite the game. Montana bounced back from last week and put an impressive game this weekend. Armanti aka Superman will play his heart out and leave everything on the field.

biggie
December 5th, 2009, 10:12 PM
Question may be about App's D. Is it better than Griz's recent opponents and can get some stops?

whoanellie
December 5th, 2009, 10:15 PM
official stats show CoCo Hillary played w/ a tackle? hmmm

ASU_Fanatic
December 5th, 2009, 10:15 PM
Our D is gonna have to step up BIG

Grizo406
December 5th, 2009, 10:16 PM
I'm absolutely giddy about seeing #14 play in person!

This one is gonna' be a real treat!!

Mountaineer#96
December 5th, 2009, 10:19 PM

This one is gonna' be a real treat!!

I'm sure he is pretty excited to bring his game to you.......xnodx

ASU_Fanatic
December 5th, 2009, 10:21 PM

This one is gonna' be a real treat!!It wont be too long until you will be cursing his name. Most unbelievable player I've ever seen.

GreatAppSt
December 5th, 2009, 10:23 PM
Yeah, ASU hasn't played the Griz since a Semifinal visit up here in 2000.
I've been waiting for the rematch for almost 10 years!xnodx Damn I'm old.

jus10asu
December 5th, 2009, 10:24 PM
If this game turns out anything like last years championship game I'm not worried. Don't really know how to match em up though. Just have to wait and see. Gonna be a good one. ASU is on their way to Kidd Brewer West!! Go APP STATE!!!!

1appfan
December 5th, 2009, 10:26 PM
That was a hell of a game! Wrong finish though!xmadx

mattmets
December 5th, 2009, 10:27 PM
I'm hearing this will be the Friday game.

ASU_Fanatic
December 5th, 2009, 10:28 PM
I'm hearing this will be the Friday game.I hope so..I have to go to a wedding on Saturday.

BDKJMU
December 5th, 2009, 10:34 PM
I'm hearing this will be the Friday game.

Top half of the bracket is slated to be the Fri night semi.

From last yr's Championship Handbook, page 13:
"It is anticipated that the two remaining teams in the top half of the 16-team championship bracket will play Friday night, while the two remaining teams in the bottom half of the bracket will play Saturday. However, the determination of which teams play on which dates is subject to change if issues arise (e.g., host facility specifications) that necessitate a change in the best interest of the championship. The semifinal schedule will be determined by the Division I Football Championship Committee on the Sunday following the quarterfinal round"

http://web1.ncaa.org/web_files/champ_handbooks/football/2008/1_football_handbook.pdf

I'm sure that hasn't changed with 09'. Top half would be the teams from the #1/#4 part of the bracket, and the bottom half would be from the #2/#3. But since Montana is in the Mtn time zone and don't have lights then maybe the NCAA will use their extenuating circumstances clause to put the ASU @ Montana on Saturday. On the other hand, I'm sure ESPN will look at the Montana/ASU game as the far more attractive matchup and will want that on the Fri night primetime slot.

So I guess it could go either way. Might have to wait till tomorrow to find out which game will be on Fri night and which on Sat afternoon.

HLNgriz
December 5th, 2009, 10:35 PM
I was at the last Griz/App St game in 2000 and it was a classic! I was in the SEZ and watched that LONG run almost to the end zone but we had a fast DB that caught him from behind to save the TD. WoW! Wife said I can go this weekend, I need to round up a loud crew and try to get some tickets.

09griz
December 5th, 2009, 10:38 PM
I hope so..I have to go to a wedding on Saturday.

Damnit! I have to work!

jlcharles
December 5th, 2009, 10:38 PM
Top half of the bracket is slated to be the Fri night semi.

From last yr's Championship Handbook, page 13:
"It is anticipated that the two remaining teams in the top half of the 16-team championship bracket will play Friday night, while the two remaining teams in the bottom half of the bracket will play Saturday. However, the determination of which teams play on which dates is subject to change if issues arise (e.g., host facility specifications) that necessitate a change in the best interest of the championship. The semifinal schedule will be determined by the Division I Football Championship Committee on the Sunday following the quarterfinal round"

http://web1.ncaa.org/web_files/champ_handbooks/football/2008/1_football_handbook.pdf

I'm sure that hasn't changed with 09'. Top half would be the teams from the #1/#4 part of the bracket, and the bottom half would be from the #2/#3. But since Montana is in the Mtn time zone and don't have lights then maybe the NCAA will use their extenuating circumstances clause to put the ASU @ Montana on Saturday. On the other hand, I'm sure ESPN will look at the Montana/ASU game as the far more attractive matchup and will want that on the Fri night primetime slot.

So I guess it could go either way. Might have to wait till tomorrow to find out which game will be on Fri night and which on Sat afternoon.

If they don't have lights, there's no way they can possibly play a night game.

BDKJMU
December 5th, 2009, 10:40 PM

In 04' JMU played @ W&M in the Fri night semis. W&M didn't have lights then. The NCAA brought in portable lights, as they did last yr for the Montana @ JMU semis since JMU's current lights (or I guess I should now say former lights) left a little to be desired. They can do the same for Montana. The lights are on large trucks that extend pretty high. Last yr they were extended as high as the lights JMU already had up.

MTGrizzFan
December 5th, 2009, 10:40 PM

sure there is..bring lights in

GreatAppSt
December 5th, 2009, 10:41 PM
I'm hearing this will be the Friday game. no lights in Missoula long travel for App should be Saturday.

DTSpider
December 5th, 2009, 10:42 PM
All I can say is to bet the over.

fencer24
December 5th, 2009, 10:43 PM
We'll need lights for either game, since the Saturday game will start in the daylight, but end in the dark as well. Lighting shouldn't be an effect for the scheduling.

jlcharles
December 5th, 2009, 10:45 PM
Well hopefully the travel associated with this game pushes it to Saturday. A friday night game at Nova would make my life much easier.

gbhmt
I think it'll be a Friday game. They'll give the Friday game to the game that should get more viewers, which is DEFINITELY this game. Lights aren't an issue, we had them in '06.

theasushow
wasnt the umass-montana semi's in 2006 under the lights at montana?

SeattleGriz
December 5th, 2009, 10:46 PM
sure there is..bring lights in

These are the ones they brought in for UMASS.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q76/wastjer/MUSCO.jpg

GrizFanStuckInUtah

Yep, they setup temporary lighting for it.

BDKJMU
I think it'll be a Friday game. They'll give the Friday game to the game that should get more viewers, which is DEFINITELY this game. Lights aren't an issue, we had them in '06.

I agree. TV (ESPN) dictates.

HLNgriz
December 5th, 2009, 10:48 PM
I was at the first ever night game against UNH and it was rock'in! I wish David Ball was able to play that game, not that it would have mattered. Santos had a rough go of it. I was also at the UMass game and that one was tough. We just could not stop them in the fourth quarter.

ezgriz51
December 5th, 2009, 10:55 PM
I had seats next to the App fans at the 2000 game. We had a blast! I hope this game is as good. The fans from Boone were cool, mutual repsect abides, LET's GET READY TO RUMBLE!!!!!

HiHiYikas
December 5th, 2009, 10:55 PM
Yup - it looked COOOOLD at that game. Steam coming off every player.

Reign of Terrier
December 5th, 2009, 10:57 PM
I'm just glad there won't be the possibility of an all CAA final (I don't think the rest of us could take that level of gloating)

Eight Legger
December 5th, 2009, 10:58 PM
First team to 70 wins.

Tod
December 5th, 2009, 11:02 PM
I'm just glad there won't be the possibility of an all CAA final (I don't think the rest of us could take that level of gloating)

That didn't occur to me :o until the ASU/Richmond game was about to start. Rooted for ASU like they were my team.

xthumbsupx

Grizo406
December 5th, 2009, 11:15 PM
I'm sure he is pretty excited to bring his game to you.......xnodx

Regardless of the final score, I'll get to see #14 play, and meet Appaholic!

IMO, that's a win/win situation!!xwhistlexxlolxxlolx

mlbowl
December 5th, 2009, 11:20 PM
I'm just glad we're hostingxnodx

uofmman1122
December 5th, 2009, 11:25 PM
Words can't describe how excited I am for this game!

And the fact that I get to see it in person makes me absolutely giddy! xlolx

Finally planned ahead and got this weekend off from work! xthumbsupx

smegriz
December 5th, 2009, 11:29 PM
I had to miss todays game, and I'm just over in Bozeman... One of the first home playoff games I've missed in years. However, there is no way, no matter what gets in the way, I'm going to miss this one.

Proud Griz Man
December 5th, 2009, 11:49 PM

I heard 'rumors' that it was the friday night primetime game.

xnodxLooking forward to a clash against ASU, and two storied programs. xthumbsupx

number1debater
December 5th, 2009, 11:55 PM
It wont be too long until you will be cursing his name. Most unbelievable player I've ever seen.

You haven't watched Mariani yet!

Personally I'm hoping for the friday night game, take a little practice away from the appy boys while giving us some extra time.

App's practice schedule
Monday----don't kick to Mariani
Tuesday----don't even think about kicking to Mariani
Wednesday---fly to Missoula
Thursday-----appy meet the cold

Montana's pracitce schedule
Monday----what the hell is a spread option?
Tuesday----kill edward-omics- 101
Wednesday---score in the first quarter
Thursday----schedule tickets for chatty
Friday---WIN!

All that being said, I have the upmost respect for app state. Probably one of the few programs in the country that I do. The app fans were nice enough to throw a few great tailgates in chattanooga for us last year, I like the mutual respect. That being said, lets just call this the Championship game! (NO WAY CAA!)

GO GRIZ!!!!!

putter
December 5th, 2009, 11:55 PM
Of the two semi's this one dwarfs Nova/W&M. No offense to them but the two top drawing teams in the division playing to go to Nooga......classic and the NCAA has to be giddy (as Grizo would say)

Skjellyfetti
December 5th, 2009, 11:57 PM
I don't think anyone on our team has played in an environment like Washington-Griz before. It will be interesting to see how we perform. We should practice indoors this week with pumped in crowd noise or something.

We've won some big games on the road this year. And most of our guys have played at Michigan and/or LSU. But, I don't think either of those places will be as raucus as what they experience next Friday or Saturday. LSU normally would be... but, certainly wasn't for a 10 am kickoff when we played them last year.

I think this will really be the key to the game... I feel we can beat Montana as long as we aren't shellshocked by a bunch of drunk Montanians.

And hopefully our players stay away from Red's once they get to Missoula. xlolx

Wish I could fly out there and see this in person. :(

putter
December 6th, 2009, 12:01 AM
I don't think anyone on our team has played in an environment like Washington-Griz before. It will be interesting to see how we perform. We should practice indoors this week with pumped in crowd noise or something.

We've won some big games on the road this year. And most of our guys have played at Michigan and/or LSU. But, I don't think either of those places will be as raucus as what they experience next Friday or Saturday. LSU normally would be... but, certainly wasn't for a 10 am kickoff when we played them last year.

I think this will really be the key to the game... I feel we can beat Montana as long as we aren't shellshocked by a bunch of drunk Montanians.

And hopefully our players stay away from Red's once they get to Missoula. xlolx

Wish I could fly out there and see this in person. :(

Not possible. There is now a plan being devised by Grizo, Pols et al to go to Apps hotel and invite AE and others to Reds for a night of "good conversation". I am sure coach Moore won't mind...xlolx xlolx

uofmman1122
December 6th, 2009, 12:07 AM
I was hoping this would be the championship, but I'm glad it's here.

Friday/Saturday can't get here soon enough! This is going to be the longest week ever!

HappyAppy13
December 6th, 2009, 12:14 AM
First- Montana have turf or natural??
Second- Can we move this game to like Missouri so it wont be so far away for those of us who have exams?
Third-Goin Homer with this one!!!

KiddBrewer
December 6th, 2009, 12:23 AM
quick question.......how much does a plan ticket to montana from statesville, north carolina cost? ball park....

mistersykes
December 6th, 2009, 12:26 AM
Damn, I am stoked. Dream matchup. 'Nuff said.

Bettina90
December 6th, 2009, 12:26 AM
Expedia......dotcooooooooooooom.

AppIAA
December 6th, 2009, 12:27 AM
I have a proposal for Griz fans..

I will go ahead and front the cost for 8 tickets to the championship if I can get enough Griz fans to purchase them from me if they win. It is a win, win situation...

I buy the tickets, if App wins, I have them.. if Montana wins, you guys have the tickets... if anybody is interested in this, please PM me and let me know

Grabholdofyosef
December 6th, 2009, 12:31 AM
I have a proposal for Griz fans..

I will go ahead and front the cost for 8 tickets to the championship if I can get enough Griz fans to purchase them from me if they win. It is a win, win situation...

I buy the tickets, if App wins, I have them.. if Montana wins, you guys have the tickets... if anybody is interested in this, please PM me and let me know
Thats a good idea. i will do 6 more. PM if you want in.

bpcats
December 6th, 2009, 12:35 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVENWl8uBeg

I think the Griz win the better intro video hands down

No wonder the Mountaineers won all those Championships, because that little promo just fires a person up

KiddBrewer
December 6th, 2009, 12:37 AM
<object width="425" height="349"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pVENWl8uBeg&rel=0&border=1&color1=0xd6d6d6&color2=0xf0f0f0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pVENWl8uBeg&rel=0&border=1&color1=0xd6d6d6&color2=0xf0f0f0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="349"></embed></object>

i think theres a link in there somewhere........

but yea ive seen their intro....its pretty good indeed!

bpcats
December 6th, 2009, 12:41 AM
Griz on the other hand:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFVbrj0Z8B

uofmman1122
December 6th, 2009, 12:42 AM
Griz on the other hand:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFVbrj0Z8BYou need to fix your links, dude. xlolx

soccerguy315
December 6th, 2009, 12:49 AM
quick question.......how much does a plan ticket to montana from statesville, north carolina cost? ball park....

www.kayak.com

KiddBrewer
December 6th, 2009, 12:52 AM
so about 600 dollars..........hmmmm how do i make 600 dollars in one week........

theasushow
December 6th, 2009, 12:58 AM
i cant wait for this.....better believe i will be pulling for the winner of this game in the national championship!

ASUG8
December 6th, 2009, 01:06 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVENWl8uBeg

No wonder the Mountaineers won all those Championships, because that little promo just fires a person up

You're new here, right? Welcome to several years ago xthumbsupx

AppAlum96
December 6th, 2009, 01:08 AM
I was stuck at work on a Saturday back in 2000, my only way to follow the game was hitting refresh on an online box score. I was still at near heart attack level. This time, I won't be at work (off Friday AND Saturday) and it'll be on TV. SWEET.

Proud Griz Man
December 6th, 2009, 01:36 AM
Just got a mention on the Texas/Nebraske game...Herstreet and Nestler giving some love.
DA Herbstreet called us "Appy"

Looking forward to the game between storied programs.
I know Jerry and Armati are ready and will bring their A-SU Game

Video highlights from last game:
http://www.montanagrizzlies.com/pages/news_item.aspx?n=8543&m=18

09griz
December 6th, 2009, 06:22 AM
I met a guy at a bar here in Helena about two months ago who was from Boone and wearing and Appalachian State T-shirt. I offered to buy the shirt off of his back due to the fact that App State is the only other program in the nation that I have a real respect and admiration for. (No CAA BS, no ECB, just good football that has proven itself on the field time and time again...despite the strength of conference nonsense that is always thrown around.)

So, he and I talked a little bit of friendly trash that, at one point, amounted to exactly this:

Me: You know I'd love to see you guys come to Missoula and play at Washington Griz.

APPY FAN: Yeah? Well I think you'll be playing in Boone.

Me: The road to Chatty is gonna go through Missoula this year buddy, mark my words.

APPY FAN: Well you're gonna be in tears when we stomp you on your own lawn then.

Me: PFFFT! Lemme buy you a drink, liar!

AppMAN04
December 6th, 2009, 07:13 AM
This is going to be an exciting game next week!! I think this game is going to determine how good Montana really is...They have played very well in the playoffs and of course has run through the big sky every season, but they never play any of the big boys and this is the game that they need in order to say they are deserving!!

We just dont get to the semis and go home and unlike the Griz when we get to Chatty its a guaranteed WIN... GO ASU!!!

Torgo
December 6th, 2009, 07:21 AM
I can honestly say this is the first time I've regretted taking a semester abroad. I'd give just about anything to be in the student section for this one.

clintc
December 6th, 2009, 09:46 AM
What is the GRIZ's record against the SOCON??? I know WOFFORD went up there 2 years ago and defeated them in WASH_GRIZZ Stadium? Not to say this year is the same but a great SOCON vs BIG SKY CLASH............... This is why 1AA (oops sorry FCS) football is the BEST.. Lot of clatter about records and conferences but this is how it should be decided... ON THE FIELD OF BATTLE..

Ivytalk
December 6th, 2009, 09:48 AM
I'll take Montana in a squeaker at home.xpeacex

Vidav
December 6th, 2009, 10:32 AM
First- Montana have turf or natural??
Second- Can we move this game to like Missouri so it wont be so far away for those of us who have exams?
Third-Goin Homer with this one!!!

Montana has Sprinturf.

Tribe07
December 6th, 2009, 11:44 AM
http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/scoreboard?confId=81&seasonYear=2009&seasonType=2&weekNumber=15

boonegoon
December 6th, 2009, 11:50 AM
http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/scoreboard?confId=81&seasonYear=2009&seasonType=2&weekNumber=15

goasu has it the other way. Who is correct?

Tribe07
December 6th, 2009, 11:54 AM
Who knows

HiHiYikas
December 6th, 2009, 12:04 PM
Should be a tremendous game...it will be nice to add ASU's name to the long list of teams that have eliminated Montana from the playoffs (if that's what happens).

boonegoon
December 6th, 2009, 12:08 PM
Tale of the tape:

NCAA rank Appalachian State Montana
Total Offense 3 8
Rush Offense 10 30
Pass Offense 16 14
Total Defense 34 50
Rush Defense 41 8
Pass Defense 45 104
Scoring Offense 7 1
Pass Efficiency 12 8

Enrollment : 15117 13925
Elevation: 3333 ft 3200 ft
Avg. Dec weather: 43 H 22 L 32 H 16 L

biggie
December 6th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Wow from guessing I would have thought the Griz pass offense would have been better. If weather is decent that could help the App's passing game and we'll see how Griz's 8th rush D stacks against Richmond's 3rd.

Assuming Griz have a large positive turnover margin to be 8th in total offense, yet 1st in scoring offense.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
December 6th, 2009, 12:15 PM
Wow from guessing I would have thought the Griz pass offense would have been better. If weather is decent that could help the App's passing game and we'll see how Griz's 8th rush D stacks against Richmond's 3rd.

Assuming Griz have a large positive turnover margin to be 8th in total offense, yet 1st in scoring offense.

I think the passing is a bit skewed for us. I don't like stats anyway, but I think playing in the BSC makes us defend the pass a bit more than other conferences. I just pray to god you guys don't decide to run some triple option or whatever the hell Wofford calls that thing they run xsmiley_wix

caribbeanhen
December 6th, 2009, 12:15 PM
so about 600 dollars..........hmmmm how do i make 600 dollars in one week........

McDonalds is still hiring right?

uofmman1122
December 6th, 2009, 12:16 PM
Assuming Griz have a large positive turnover margin to be 8th in total offense, yet 1st in scoring offense.Well, we were +9 yesterday alone. xlolx

biggie
December 6th, 2009, 12:18 PM
I think the passing is a bit skewed for us. I don't like stats anyway, but I think playing in the BSC makes us defend the pass a bit more than other conferences. I just pray to god you guys don't decide to run some triple option or whatever the hell Wofford calls that thing they run xsmiley_wix
We do have a set with AE, Moore, and Radford lined up 3 across in the backfield, making the D guess at which of the 3 will run. I'm sure if the coaches see that it gives you problems it will be ran. Of course the main difference in us and Woff in that set is we can throw accurately out of it as well.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
December 6th, 2009, 12:22 PM
We do have a set with AE, Moore, and Radford lined up 3 across in the backfield, making the D guess at which of the 3 will run. I'm sure if the coaches see that it gives you problems it will be ran. Of course the main difference in us and Woff in that set is we can throw accurately out of it as well.

Ya, I see this as a problem really. We just don't see that very often, almost never really. It's hard to prepare for when you don't see it a lot. I do wonder if AE will hold up if he has to run it 20 times, not knocking him here, but I don't think that is his normal load. The hardest part to prepare for a running team like that is getting the practice team to run it so you can properly prepare for it. When you don't recruit kids to play that way, hard to find them on your roster. I think this game will be very intersting how it will play out. I can't wait for Kick off and hope for a good game with no injuries. xthumbsupx

boonegoon
December 6th, 2009, 12:25 PM
Ya, I see this as a problem really. We just don't see that very often, almost never really. It's hard to prepare for when you don't see it a lot. I do wonder if AE will hold up if he has to run it 20 times, not knocking him here, but I don't think that is his normal load. The hardest part to prepare for a running team like that is getting the practice team to run it so you can properly prepare for it. When you don't recruit kids to play that way, hard to find them on your roster. I think this game will be very intersting how it will play out. I can't wait for Kick off and hope for a good game with no injuries. xthumbsupx

As far as style is concerned, how does Montana stack up compared to a Mcneese State? Elon?

uofmman1122
December 6th, 2009, 12:29 PM
Darn...

I was really hoping for the Friday game...:(

Now I'm gonna have to try to explain to my boss why I'm going to be late for work on Sunday. xlolx

FCS Go!
December 6th, 2009, 12:33 PM
As far as style is concerned, how does Montana stack up compared to a Mcneese State? Elon?

Can't really compare the three:

Montana
http://dadwhatsapad.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/white_hippy_dreads.jpg

McNeese St
http://sniroadwarrior.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/redneck.jpg

Elon
http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/071105/oscars/dano_l.jpg

boonegoon
December 6th, 2009, 12:36 PM
HA HA> Not quite what I meant but it will do

Skjellyfetti
December 6th, 2009, 12:37 PM
Elon
http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/071105/oscars/dano_l.jpg

xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxbowx

theasushow
December 6th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Darn...

I was really hoping for the Friday game...:(

Now I'm gonna have to try to explain to my boss why I'm going to be late for work on Sunday. xlolx

yep, ncaa.com has this as the 4pm game!

CopperCat
December 6th, 2009, 12:50 PM
I don't really have too much to say other than that this game will be a MONSTER.

But one more thing: STOMP EM' GRIZ!!!!!!!!

Tod
December 6th, 2009, 01:12 PM
goasu has it the other way. Who is correct?

ASU @ Montana Saturday is confirmed:

http://www.ncaa.com/brackets/2009/ncaa_bracket_FCS_football.html

Green26
December 6th, 2009, 01:27 PM
Yes, game on Saturday at 2pm, Montana time (Mountain).

Flights to Bozeman and Spokane are often less expensive than to Missoula. Bozeman is a 3 hr. drive, with one bad mountain pass near Butte. Spokane is a 3.5 hr. drive, with one fairly bad mountain pass and one not so bad one. All on I-90.

GOKATS
December 6th, 2009, 02:02 PM
Yes, game on Saturday at 2pm, Montana time (Mountain).

Flights to Bozeman and Spokane are often less expensive than to Missoula. Bozeman is a 3 hr. drive, with one bad mountain pass near Butte. Spokane is a 3.5 hr. drive, with one fairly bad mountain pass and one not so bad one. All on I-90.

Homestake Pass (between Bozeman and Missoula generally isn't at all a bad pass. I've driven it probably a thousand times during the winter. They have a damn good maintenance crew and it's usually well plowed and sanded, the only real exception being a blizzard which noone can do much about. It's only about 15 miles from one side to the other. I've had a lot worse driving on the interstate on either side than going over the pass.

Grizaholic17
December 6th, 2009, 02:35 PM
I hope Trumaine Johnson is 100% healthy. I worry about Thompson and Swink, they are short and can be beat sometimes. Our secondary really is our weak spot. We can blow up a run pretty well, but when it comes to airing it out, we love to give up huge plays...and that is not what we need against Appy

AppIAA
December 6th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Offer is still on the table.. Any Griz fans want to go in on some Championship tickets?

I will go ahead and order 8 of them.. If you win, I will send them to those who buy them from me.. if we win, well, I will already have them..

Its a win, win... Just want to have some other hands to give them to if Montana wins..

Saint3333
December 6th, 2009, 02:48 PM
Huge plays in the air, I like the sound of that. AE hit 7 WRs last night. I think Brian Quick will pose a huge matchup problems for Montana at 6'5" with a 40 inch vertical.

My biggest concern against Montana is special teams plays and the killer in any playoff games turnovers.

fltheadgriz
December 6th, 2009, 03:22 PM
Question for the App State fans
Since the snow/cold in Missoula is the "same" weather at App State how well does Armanti run on the snow?
I don't want to hear the godlike complex garbage but can he run on the snow or is he just a fair field runner?

appstate38
December 6th, 2009, 03:31 PM
Question for the App State fans
Since the snow/cold in Missoula is the "same" weather at App State how well does Armanti run on the snow?
I don't want to hear the godlike complex garbage but can he run on the snow or is he just a fair field runner?

I don't recall ever seeing AE playing in any significant snow like you guys are prone to get out there. With that being said you guys play on field turf like us right? I expect you will want the field to be snow free if possible. Either way the weather can not be an excuse for not playing well. One thing for sure is the cold will not give the Griz an advantage.

Griz0383
December 6th, 2009, 03:31 PM
WOW OH WOW this going to be AWESOME!! Pinch me I am dreaming!!! So many Questions so many Concerns! First, can Montana Stop AE and the spread Option? Second, Can the BIG Montana Offense keep us in the game as the defense attempts to adjust to wicked speed and smarts of AE. I hope the biggest game in recent FSC history is promoted by ESPN. At the least, I hope an effort to show case this game is made! I guess I am dreaming! I know ESPN will let FCS Nation down! I look forward to meeting any ASU fans and wish you glad tidings and safe travel. GO GRIZZZZZ!

ASU_Fanatic
December 6th, 2009, 03:37 PM
No, it can't be the Saturday game...I have to go to an effin wedding on Saturday. Looks like I'll have to keep my Dads blackberry on auto refresh and keep up.

fltheadgriz
December 6th, 2009, 04:01 PM
Well yeah the Griz will want and have to have the field as free of snow as possible, but if it snows real hard during the game like it is supposed to, then not much can be done.

Silenoz
December 6th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Dangit, how did we not get the Friday game?

If this game turns out anything like last years championship game I'm not worried. Don't really know how to match em up though. Just have to wait and see. Gonna be a good one. ASU is on their way to Kidd Brewer West!! Go APP STATE!!!!
Ditto if it turns out like last years quarter-final game (@Boone) xsmiley_wix

OL FU
December 6th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Come on ASU. I am rooting for youxthumbsupx

neersnbeers
December 6th, 2009, 05:10 PM
Big game yesterday, big game Saturday. ESPN. Armanti and boys on a roll. I'm feeling good.

Aho_Old_Guy
December 6th, 2009, 05:55 PM
(1) Dangit, how did we not get the Friday game?

(2) Ditto if it turns out like last years quarter-final game (@Boone) xsmiley_wix

(1) East Coast Bias ?

(2) Please reserve some of what your are smoking for your 'consolation high' next weekend. xeyebrowx

It looks to be $60-$70 cheaper to fly out of the Triad to Spokane --- but half the flights connect thru Charlotte xlolx

T-Dog
December 6th, 2009, 06:11 PM
I think this week will finally be the first week since ECU that App doesn't have as many fans there as the home team. :p

placidlakegriz
December 6th, 2009, 06:19 PM
(1) East Coast Bias ?

(2) Please reserve some of what your are smoking for your 'consolation high' next weekend. xeyebrowx

It looks to be $60-$70 cheaper to fly out of the Triad to Spokane --- but half the flights connect thru Charlotte xlolx

Not worth saving $70 to fly into Spokane. 3 hour drive and over two passes.

Native
December 6th, 2009, 06:23 PM
Boone to Missoula's a mere 36 hour drive, and flights from Charlotte or Raleigh to Missoula are just 800 bucks...

So there should be a HUGE ASU presence at this game!

Spoken like a westerner! xthumbsupx

Aho_Old_Guy
December 6th, 2009, 06:35 PM
Not worth saving $70 to fly into Spokane. 3 hour drive and over two passes.

It's the same distance from Boone to Greensboro/High Point - 'Triad' (and a nicer drive) as it is from Boone to Charlotte.

Flying into Spokane will save $200 to $600. Is that worth it? xeyebrowx

Native
December 6th, 2009, 06:39 PM
Great match up! Griz prevail, 38-31.

gofurman
December 6th, 2009, 06:46 PM
Tale of the tape:

NCAA rank Appalachian State Montana
Total Offense 3 8
Rush Offense 10 30
Pass Offense 16 14
Total Defense 34 50
Rush Defense 41 8
Pass Defense 45 104
Scoring Offense 7 1
Pass Efficiency 12 8

Enrollment : 15117 13925
Elevation: 3333 ft 3200 ft
Avg. Dec weather: 43 H 22 L 32 H 16 L

The Griz are 104th in pass D ? Good grief. Is that bc the big sky throws all day? Still that's bad. What's the deal there?

Saint3333
December 6th, 2009, 06:50 PM
I believe the Griz's pass defense isn't as bad as the ranking states, but the rush defense isn't as good - those stats are a product of the offenses they face in the Big Sky.

I believe this will be a high scoring affair.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
December 6th, 2009, 06:50 PM
The Griz are 104th in pass D ? Good grief. Is that bc the big sky throws all day? Still that's bad. What's the deal there?

It is a part for sure. I think we are pretty balanced on offense the past couple of years, more so than years before that. We were a sling it around kind of team for a while ourselves.

boonegoon
December 6th, 2009, 06:54 PM
It is a part for sure. I think we are pretty balanced on offense the past couple of years, more so than years before that. We were a sling it around kind of team for a while ourselves.

I think, as a conference, you are pretty pass happy. Montana leads the conference in rushing with 161 yards a game.

Grizaholic17
December 6th, 2009, 07:21 PM
Huge plays in the air, I like the sound of that. AE hit 7 WRs last night. I think Brian Quick will pose a huge matchup problems for Montana at 6'5" with a 40 inch vertical.

My biggest concern against Montana is special teams plays and the killer in any playoff games turnovers.

I don't know if Brian Quick is your best WR, but Trumaine Johnson could cover Randy Moss if he wanted to...(maybe a slight exaggeration)

Skjellyfetti
December 6th, 2009, 07:24 PM
Quick is definitely our biggest deep threat receiver. Our best receiver this year has been Matt Cline (and probably etched his name in Appalachian immortality with his game winning catch last night).

Silenoz
December 6th, 2009, 07:27 PM
(1) East Coast Bias ?

I love that I get that for poking fun at a very similar comment made by an ASU fan. Did you even read the thread?

Grrrrriz
December 6th, 2009, 07:29 PM
Dangit, how did we not get the Friday game?

Ditto if it turns out like last years quarter-final game (@Boone) xsmiley_wix

Jim O'Day said it was because App has finals, and that was the catalyst.

So blame it on App, its their fault.xwhistlex

Silenoz
December 6th, 2009, 07:31 PM
Jim O'Day said it was because App has finals, and that was the catalyst.

So blame it on App, its their fault.xwhistlex

Way to suck App!

GreatAppSt
December 6th, 2009, 07:34 PM
(1) East Coast Bias ?

Aho the passes could be closed and you might not make the game.

Saint3333
December 6th, 2009, 07:42 PM
I don't know if Brian Quick is your best WR, but Trumaine Johnson could cover Randy Moss if he wanted to...(maybe a slight exaggeration)

A little research on your boy doesn't look so impressive. Can these stats be correct, he didn't have stats from 6 games?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=379689

Please, I beg you, put single coverage on Quick.

For the record no one in college could cover Randy Moss.

gbhmt
December 6th, 2009, 07:43 PM

We will. We've put Johnson in single coverage against better receivers before.

GreatAppSt
December 6th, 2009, 07:45 PM
Come on ASU. I am rooting for youxthumbsupx

Thanks OLFU. Montana's toast!xthumbsupx

Saint3333
December 6th, 2009, 07:52 PM
We will. We've put Johnson in single coverage against better receivers before.

Quick isn't the best WR in the FCS (only a So.), but few have the raw athletic talent and tangible measurments he has.

You may start in single coverage, some teams do, but after one quarter trying that you'll adjust.

gbhmt
December 6th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Quick isn't the best WR in the FCS (only a So.), but few have the raw athletic talent and tangible measurments he has.

You may start in single coverage, some teams do, but after one quarter trying that you'll adjust.

No, we probably won't. We have an All-American corner and we will use him the same we've used him all year. We'll probably be putting good amount of people in the box to stop the run.

Saint3333
December 6th, 2009, 07:55 PM
Hey more power to you. When you see this kid on the field in warm-ups remember this thread.

Skjellyfetti
December 6th, 2009, 07:55 PM
Montana's toast!xthumbsupx

YESSSS! The GAS curse has been cast on Montana. :D

Skjellyfetti
December 6th, 2009, 07:56 PM
No, we probably won't. We have an All-American corner and we will use him the same we've used him all year. We'll probably be putting good amount of people in the box to stop the run.

Sounds like a formula for Matt Cline to have a monster day. :D

Grizaholic17
December 6th, 2009, 07:58 PM
Contrary to what most app fans believe, every player on your team isn't AWESOME. The cockiness of some of you is astounding to me. Maybe us country boys will actually show your boys what it means to be hit.

Get ready for a great game of football

gbhmt
December 6th, 2009, 08:00 PM
Hey more power to you. When you see this kid on the field in warm-ups remember this thread.

You speak as if I haven't seen him many, many times. He's great. I'm not arguing that. But I'm really not too worried about him. The only problem is that once people stop trying to force the ball to whoever TJ is covering, they find the holes in the rest of our secondary.

gbhmt
December 6th, 2009, 08:01 PM
Maybe I'm not in awe at Quick's apparently prolific skills because for the last few years I've been watching a better receiver...;)

Saint3333
December 6th, 2009, 08:02 PM
Who said every player was awesome? I admitted Quick isn't the best WR in the FCS bud, he's not even in the top 5 in the SoCon. What he is a mismatch at the FCS level and defenses this year have respected his size and speed or paid for it.

I wonder why did EVERY team ASU faced this year put the safety over top on Quick this year? I'd hate to bring facts into a debate. Still haven't heard why your star CB didn't play in 6 games.

Skjellyfetti
December 6th, 2009, 08:05 PM
Contrary to what most app fans believe, every player on your team isn't AWESOME. The cockiness of some of you is astounding to me. Maybe us country boys will actually show your boys what it means to be hit.

Eh, that wasn't what I was saying.

But, Matt Cline has had a huge season (our leading receiver) because teams have given way more attention to Quick and CoCo. CoCo's out for the year now... but, I don't think it's anything ridiculous to say if your strategy is to neutralize Quick it will open up Cline and/or Elder.

gbhmt
Who said every player was awesome? I admitted Quick isn't the best WR in the FCS bud, he's not even in the top 5 in the SoCon. What he is a mismatch at the FCS level and defenses this year have respected his size and speed or paid for it.

I wonder why did EVERY team ASU faced this year put the safety over top on Quick this year? I'd hate to bring facts into a debate. Still haven't heard why your star CB didn't play in 6 games.

It's this little thing called an injury. With how often App fans whine about them, I'd think you'd figure that one out.

Grizaholic17

I'll respect his size. But we won't know what happens until Saturday. I can just go with hat I know...and that is that TJ will do his job and do it well. I just hope we aren't burned on another one of these SoCon offenses that runs a spread option. Griz get killed by this and I still don't think we've had a successful time with it.

Grizaholic17
December 6th, 2009, 08:07 PM

But, Matt Cline has had a huge season (our leading receiver) because teams have given way more attention to Quick and CoCo. CoCo's out for the year now... but, I don't think it's anything ridiculous to say if your strategy is to neutralize Quick it will open up Cline and/or Elder.

I never said the strategy was to neutralize Quick. There are 11 men on the field, each one of them with their own job. Neutralizing one player anyway wouldn't open up too many other things as their are 9-10 other guys going for the other stops. I will say that the first half will be tough for us, I think you will score a lot. I just hope we make halftime adjustments. Your offense isn't anything we can really prepare for...it does intimidate me a little, I just hope our players don't see it the way I do!

GRIZCLAW
December 6th, 2009, 08:08 PM

Here's a hint....he was hurt. OMGxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

GOKATS
December 6th, 2009, 08:16 PM

xlmaoxxlmaoxxlmaoxxlmaoxxlmaoxxlmaox

That's one of the funniest things I've ever seen posted..................................., a griz fan calling another teams fans cocky.xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

Grizaholic17
December 6th, 2009, 08:17 PM
xlmaoxxlmaoxxlmaoxxlmaoxxlmaoxxlmaox

That's one of the funniest things I've ever seen posted..................................., a griz fan calling another teams fans cocky.xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

I'm not cocky myself...don't let your griz envy get to you catman :p:p

Poker Alan
December 6th, 2009, 08:20 PM
A little research on your boy doesn't look so impressive. Can these stats be correct, he didn't have stats from 6 games?

The Griz fans (from back in '96) know this ALL too well...

Mountaineer#96
December 6th, 2009, 08:29 PM

I'm pretty sure ASU's kids know what it is like to be hit did you watch the Richmond game?....that was smash mouth football in the second half. Don't act like my college and the players aren't country nor know country when we see it (we do play GSU every year)......we got more dip and chew in the locker room than a phillip morris warehouse my man, but the NCAA didn't hear that from me. I know the ASU locker room is where I got some of my dip habits.xbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxoopsxxoopsx

Grizaholic17
December 6th, 2009, 08:30 PM
I'm pretty sure ASU's kids know what it is like to be hit did you watch the Richmond game?....that was smash mouth football in the second half. Don't act like my college and the players aren't country nor know country when we see it (we do play GSU every year)......we got more dip and chew in the locker room than a phillip morris warehouse my man, but the NCAA didn't hear that from me. I know the ASU locker room is where I got some of my dip habits.xbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxoopsxxoopsx

I guess we will see :)

Can't wait for the game

Saint3333
December 6th, 2009, 08:41 PM
So is he still hurt as he didn't play last weekend?

Grizaholic17
December 6th, 2009, 08:48 PM
So is he still hurt as he didn't play last weekend?

This guy is confusing the heck outta me

caribbeanhen
December 6th, 2009, 08:59 PM
I am leaning towards Montana in a big way, AE will be demoted to human being

Grizaholic17
December 6th, 2009, 09:02 PM
I am leaning towards Montana in a big way, AE will be demoted to human being

xeekxxeekxxeekx

Rep points for you! xlolxxlolx

I hope you are right hen!

McNeese75
December 6th, 2009, 09:08 PM

Cline will hurt you!!!

Saint3333
December 6th, 2009, 09:10 PM
This guy is confusing the heck outta me

Maybe it's wrong, but this is were my confusion is.

12/5 Stephen F. Austin W 51-0 Did Not Play or did not accumulate any stats.

grizband
December 6th, 2009, 09:12 PM
Maybe it's wrong, but this is were my confusion is.

12/5 Stephen F. Austin W 51-0 Did Not Play or did not accumulate any stats.
Johnson played the entire game, from what I remember.

smegriz
December 6th, 2009, 09:17 PM
http://filemanager.montanagrizzlies.com/mtgriz3/schedules_and_stats/files/fb/pdf/2009/UM-SFA.pdf He's got stats here. (non pdf http://filemanager.montanagrizzlies.com/mtgriz3/schedules_and_stats/files/fb/htm/2009/um-sfa.htm ) Blame espn for doing such an awesome job of keeping track of FCS games.

caribbeanhen
December 6th, 2009, 09:17 PM
this might seem crazy but I dont think he's as good (taking some hits over the years) as he was 2 years ago, I've only seen AE once this year, but I did get to see him play about a half dozen times mostly in 06 and 07, when he was really scary good. Althogh he is still is great, I think a the combination of a real good defense and some bone chilling Arctic winds, throw in a rocky mountain hangover and he can be controlled.

Saint3333
December 6th, 2009, 09:27 PM
http://filemanager.montanagrizzlies.com/mtgriz3/schedules_and_stats/files/fb/pdf/2009/UM-SFA.pdf He's got stats here. (non pdf http://filemanager.montanagrizzlies.com/mtgriz3/schedules_and_stats/files/fb/htm/2009/um-sfa.htm ) Blame espn for doing such an awesome job of keeping track of FCS games.

Thanks, ESPN's Montana stats are about as good as their FCS selection show...

theasushow
December 6th, 2009, 09:30 PM

fcs selection show? is that what that was?

AlphaSigMD
December 6th, 2009, 09:35 PM
Good that this game is actually on ESPN. Unfortunately, I'm already interviewing at Case Western that morning...so I can't hop a quick flight to the game. Too bad too though because (que Sam Neill Russian accent) I would have liked to have seen Montana.

Grizaholic17
December 6th, 2009, 09:50 PM

Never trust the big media moguls, they're bs!

VUCats02
December 6th, 2009, 10:11 PM
Two completely different national semi final games. Two huge power-house FCS teams going at it one game. Number of students who attend Montana: 12,000+ Number of students who attend App State: 14,500. Number of people in Misoula: 60,000. Number of people in Boone: 15,000. The other semi final game featuring two much more smaller scale (but still very good) football programs. Number of students who attend Villanova: A little under 7000. Number of students who attend William and Mary: About 6000. Population of Villanova, PA: 5,500 (yes it's in the suburbs of Philadelphia, but let's be honest: the typical Philadelphian could care less about college football...though college football is starting to grow in the area due to Nova and Temple's recent sucess)...Population in Williamsburg: 12,000. All of these four teams have tons of talent, and imo the championship game will be great whether it's nova vs montana, w&m vs montana, nova vs app st, or app st. vs wm. It's just interesting that one game is two power house FCS teams, while the other is two smaller scale teams who have had good recent success and whose futures look bright.

Grabholdofyosef
December 7th, 2009, 08:19 AM
I apologize if these stats and figures have been posted already but I didnt see a full synopsis anywhere and am so excited about this game, I just got get all this out!!

How fitting that these two teams matchup in the last semifinals of the decade after meeting there to kick the decade off in 2000. Montana was #1 then as they are now and have been the model of consistency, but how times have changed for ASU. Back then, ASU was in the mix for the playoffs most years and had a solid program but was never considered a real championship contender most years.

They were underdogs who surprised the #4 and #5 seeds to get a chance to play #1 Montana. They hung in the entire game, tied it on a late FG and then took the lead with a FG in OT. I will never forget how quiet the bar got when Montana hit the fade pass for the td and win. I thought ASU would immediately build on that run, but they didnt. However, several years later the spread was implemented and Richie led ASU to national prominence five years later and then AE has taken the team to heights no one ever could have imagined.

Both teams resumes in this decade are astounding. 100 wins each in the decade (I think UM has 117 ASU 100, 18 playoff appearances (UM-10 ASU-8), 18 playoffs win each( Montana (18-8) ASU (18-4). 11 Semifinals (UM-6 ASU-5), 6 finals (UM-4 ASU-3), 4 championships (UM-1 ASU-3). This game means more than an appearance in the finals, it is for team of the decade.

Now with all this being said, I hope the winner can win the NC because a loss to a CAA team would be very anticlimatic : (

Go App!!!

Black and Gold Express
December 7th, 2009, 08:41 AM
Foreword: This is not intended to be smack. These are my honest feelings. That being said, this will infuriate and/or make the eyes roll of any Griz fan reading this. I understand this. Also know that no amount of trying will change my feelings on this matter. The only ones that will be able to do so will be your team on Saturday.

__________________________________________________ _____

Ever since the bracket came out, I said that if we can get by Richmond, we'll be in Chattanooga. After seeing Armanti act like a statue against SCSU, I amended that to say that if Armanti's leg heals and he can be mobile again, we can beat Richmond and if we beat Richmond we'll be in Chattanooga. Having witnessed the ASU/UR game in person, I am happy to say that all things are a go on my end. I also believed that the winner of the ASU/UR game would be in Chattanooga, because they were the best two teams in this side of the bracket.

I am a strong believer that Montana is close to being as weak a #1 seed as we have seen in a long while. Even through the first two rounds of the playoffs, they haven't faced a top flite team yet. They scheduled their non-conference pathetically weak and were rewarded with a top seed for it. Eventually those things come back to bite you and I expect it will this Saturday.

Montana has a phenomenal home field. I was there in 2000 for the ASU semifinal there. At the time I thought how great it would be if ASU could replicate that environment. Well, they have, and in some ways they have surpassed it. Montana probably can bank on a score or two because of their raucous crowd in most games because they play schools that are used to having little or no fan support and not used to playing in a loud environment. ASU is not one of those schools. Advantage negated at the least, probably nullified.

Montana is used to having an advantage in the weather factor, especially in the playoffs. Truth be told, of the usual playoff suspects there are few that have conditions similar to them. ASU is one of those that do have comparable conditions around this time of year. A quick look at the early forecast I saw said clear and in the 30's. That's no big deal. Advantage negated at the least, probably nullified.

When Montana is at home in the playoffs, it's a long trek for pretty much anyone to make. For ASU this is no exception. However, from a body clock perspective it is always easier to travel east to west than it is west to east. As much as this could be negated (and it is not fully), it is.

Now, what matters most, the players on the field. The simple rule still is that ASU has the best player on either team, and he handles the ball every offensive snap. I don't need Armanti to run for 100+ yards. I need him to be able to elude the pass rush, which he did against UR like I am used to seeing. That UR field was a sloppy mess, tough to get any footing on, and he was able to get away from the UR pass rush time and again, many times finding receivers downfield.

I have admittedly only seen one Griz game this year, that was the SDSU game. What I saw was a SDSU team that punched Montana in the mouth time and again and got the huge lead, then played scared. Montana was the better team physically, and combine that with SDSU's inexperience in closing a big game, that led to the great comeback win. But what I did NOT see in that game was a UM team that scared me physically. I really thought they would have been a lot faster than they seemed. SDSU was definitely an also-ran in terms of championship-winning talent, that game should have been a 61-7 Montana blowout win.

Montana is a good team, don't get me wrong. They certainly can win this game. They are a good team that played the system perfectly and got rewarded with the #1 seed. Yes, that's a backhanded compliment because I don't believe Montana is as close to battle tested as ASU is. I believe ASU is the better team physically, and more battle tested. Of course I wish this game could be in Boone, but going to Missoula doesn't scare me at all.

It would not shock me if ASU wins this one by two or more scores.

TokyoGriz
December 7th, 2009, 08:58 AM
Foreword: This is not intended to be smack. These are my honest feelings. That being said, this will infuriate and/or make the eyes roll of any Griz fan reading this. I understand this. Also know that no amount of trying will change my feelings on this matter. The only ones that will be able to do so will be your team on Saturday.

Ever since the bracket came out, I said that if we can get by Richmond, we'll be in Chattanooga. After seeing Armanti act like a statue against SCSU, I amended that to say that if Armanti's leg heals and he can be mobile again, we can beat Richmond and if we beat Richmond we'll be in Chattanooga. Having witnessed the ASU/UR game in person, I am happy to say that all things are a go on my end. I also believed that the winner of the ASU/UR game would be in Chattanooga, because they were the best two teams in this side of the bracket.

I am a strong believer that Montana is close to being as weak a #1 seed as we have seen in a long while. Even through the first two rounds of the playoffs, they haven't faced a top flite team yet. They scheduled their non-conference pathetically weak and were rewarded with a top seed for it. Eventually those things come back to bite you and I expect it will this Saturday.

Montana has a phenomenal home field. I was there in 2000 for the ASU semifinal there. At the time I thought how great it would be if ASU could replicate that environment. Well, they have, and in some ways they have surpassed it. Montana probably can bank on a score or two because of their raucous crowd in most games because they play schools that are used to having little or no fan support and not used to playing in a loud environment. ASU is not one of those schools. Advantage negated at the least, probably nullified.

Montana is used to having an advantage in the weather factor, especially in the playoffs. Truth be told, of the usual playoff suspects there are few that have conditions similar to them. ASU is one of those that do have comparable conditions around this time of year. A quick look at the early forecast I saw said clear and in the 30's. That's no big deal. Advantage negated at the least, probably nullified.

When Montana is at home in the playoffs, it's a long trek for pretty much anyone to make. For ASU this is no exception. However, from a body clock perspective it is always easier to travel east to west than it is west to east. As much as this could be negated (and it is not fully), it is.

Now, what matters most, the players on the field. The simple rule still is that ASU has the best player on either team, and he handles the ball every offensive snap. I don't need Armanti to run for 100+ yards. I need him to be able to elude the pass rush, which he did against UR like I am used to seeing. That UR field was a sloppy mess, tough to get any footing on, and he was able to get away from the UR pass rush time and again, many times finding receivers downfield.

I have admittedly only seen one Griz game this year, that was the SDSU game. What I saw was a SDSU team that punched Montana in the mouth time and again and got the huge lead, then played scared. Montana was the better team physically, and combine that with SDSU's inexperience in closing a big game, that led to the great comeback win. But what I did NOT see in that game was a UM team that scared me physically. I really thought they would have been a lot faster than they seemed. SDSU was definitely an also-ran in terms of championship-winning talent, that game should have been a 61-7 Montana blowout win.

Montana is a good team, don't get me wrong. They certainly can win this game. They are a good team that played the system perfectly and got rewarded with the #1 seed. Yes, that's a backhanded compliment because I don't believe Montana is as close to battle tested as ASU is. I believe ASU is the better team physically, and more battle tested. Of course I wish this game could be in Boone, but going to Missoula doesn't scare me at all.

Let me see if I get this right....

Montana = no advantages whatsoever in any aspect

Appy = In all aspects has the advantage...

Your a complete homer/tool/fool to think Montana in no aspects whatsoever has any unique advantages in this game.

Black and Gold Express
December 7th, 2009, 09:43 AM
You do, you're at home. Which means you don't have to travel. But the effects of your home stadium are otherwise limited against us compared to other I-AA teams you host. I've been there, I've seen it, and I've seen where ASU plays many times. Back in 2000, it was a big difference. These days, it's not nearly as much.

Add that to I believe we have the more talented team, and the unquestionable best player on the field, and Montana is in for their toughest game of the year without question.

I think this Montana team is similar in many aspects to the Delaware team of 2007. And you saw what happened there.

apppackdad
December 7th, 2009, 09:43 AM
WHEW!
The traditions, the championships, the players, the coaches, the fan bases are all in place for one of the most anticipated games in FCS history. xnodx
What, at least non CAA fan, would not like to see this game.

The REAL +/- for this game is; How many times will the GRIZ/APP defensive co-ordinator throw up this week in preparing a plan to stop the others offense.

Has any one else noticed that no Smack thread has yet appeared, NOR SHOULD THERE BE ONE!

Saturday is the time, Wash-Griz is the place, Grizzlies/Mountaineers on the field in the in the playoffs once again.xbowx

Yes there is a GOD in heaven and he loves us!

Poker Alan
December 7th, 2009, 09:44 AM
Black and Gold, I appreciate the well-thought out post and your position on the game. I will be responding with my pro-Griz rebuttal later this morning.

Grrrrriz
December 7th, 2009, 10:08 AM

ASU isn't anymore battle tested than Montana. Look at your schedule, and some of the games you have played. ASU is a good team, but Montana will be your biggest challenge yet. A 3 point win over the Citadel? A 5 point win over Western Carolina? As well, SDSU is a better team than SCSU, and you won that game on a lucky play. ASU's strength of schedule is similar to Montana's, and you guys struggled much in the same way that Montana did. Montana has better players all around,(you guys have good players too, just not as good all around) you guys have the best player in the FCS. Is that the great equalizer? Many times it has been, and it could be. But saying that ASU is more battle tested than Montana is ridiculous. You are reaching.

Skjellyfetti
December 7th, 2009, 10:09 AM
“Next week’s game (against Appalachian), by my estimation, will be the biggest game in the history of our stadium,” said Grizzlies coach Bobby Hauck, who is now 79-16 in seven years at Montana. “It should be a lot of fun.”

I think that makes around 50% of our away games this year "the biggest game in the history" of our opponents stadium. xlolx

Grrrrriz
December 7th, 2009, 10:10 AM
I think that makes around 50% of our away games this year "the biggest game in the history" of our opponents stadium. xlolx

Being the biggest game at Washington Griz, has way more implications that being the biggest game at Samford.

Skjellyfetti
December 7th, 2009, 10:12 AM
Being the biggest game at Washington Griz, has way more implications that being the biggest game at Samford.

We didn't play at Samford this year.

Do you Montana fans agree with Hauck's statement... biggest game in Wash-Griz history?

putter
December 7th, 2009, 10:17 AM
Express, appreciate you sincere opinion. I agree that AE will be the best athlete on the field as he may have been all season. Montana sometimes plays to the level of competition and against SDSU they had the turnover bug and spotted the Jacks a big lead. What you should have noticed is that, even when SDSU knew the Griz had to throw, they could not stop it and this was against the #5 defense. I don't agree that the Griz scheduled themselves into the #1 seed. Again this is east coast fans thinking that there are no quality teams because they are out west. I am not saying these teams are top level but they are not slouches and the Griz won all these games even when they did not play their best.

The Rock is a great environment but it is not as loud as Wa/Griz, however, I dont think they noise will be a huge deal but it will be loud. Remember Mt. St coach Mike Kramer being asked after playing App about the noise and which was louder. He said, no contest, it was Montana

This is going to be a great game as both teams have playmakers who can change the game every time they touch the ball...xthumbsupx

Silenoz
December 7th, 2009, 10:19 AM
We didn't play at Samford this year.

Do you Montana fans agree with Hauck's statement... biggest game in Wash-Griz history?

2002 Cat-Griz was pretty big for making them relevant again.

But yes, this is probably the biggest for us. 2004 semis were a big revenge game, but this places us against the other marquee FCS program with one of the all-time FCS greats.

griz8791
December 7th, 2009, 10:25 AM
I won't spin it just to deny you guys a talking point. I think it's the biggest game in Wa-Griz history.

Black and Gold Express
December 7th, 2009, 10:25 AM
ASU isn't anymore battle tested than Montana. Look at your schedule, and some of the games you have played. ASU is a good team, but Montana will be your biggest challenge yet. A 3 point win over the Citadel? A 5 point win over Western Carolina? As well, SDSU is a better team than SCSU, and you won that game on a lucky play. ASU's strength of schedule is similar to Montana's, and you guys struggled much in the same way that Montana did. Montana has better players all around,(you guys have good players too, just not as good all around) you guys have the best player in the FCS. Is that the great equalizer? Many times it has been, and it could be. But saying that ASU is more battle tested than Montana is ridiculous. You are reaching.

I am curious what makes you think SDSU is a better team than SCSU, other than that they walloped your defense for 48 points and you feel a need to defend that. SDSU looked to me to be small and slow, with a good tailback and not much else. SCSU doesn't get credit because they are a MEAC team, I get that. Two years in a row though they have shown that they are far more physical than other MEAC teams we have seen.

Like I said originally, judging by what I saw on teh field, Montana shouldn't have given up 8 points to SDSU, forget 48. I'd take SCSU in a game versus SDSU 9/10 times. Both were not championship-caliber teams to be sure, but you need an awful lot of rationalization to explain how your defense got shredded like that.

I have no idea what happened against SFA, other than the score. That certainly was more in line with what I expected you to do against SDSU. But those teams were ranked what, 11 and 13 or so? You still have yet to play a top 10 team in the playoffs. Have you even played a top 10 team team all year? We've played and beaten three, including two on the road. Believe if you want that ASU is not more battle tested, you're only fooling yourself if you think that IMO.

Live4Griz
December 7th, 2009, 10:29 AM
I won't spin it just to deny you guys a talking point. I think it's the biggest game in Wa-Griz history.

It would be the biggest game in the history of the "Rock" too if the Griz had to travel to Boone. Works both ways!

GO GRIZ!!

Silenoz
December 7th, 2009, 10:30 AM
I am curious what makes you think SDSU is a better team than SCSU, other than that they walloped your defense for 48 points and you feel a need to defend that. SDSU looked to me to be small and slow, with a good tailback and not much else. SCSU doesn't get credit because they are a MEAC team, I get that. Two years in a row though they have shown that they are far more physical than other MEAC teams we have seen.

Like I said originally, judging by what I saw on teh field, Montana shouldn't have given up 8 points to SDSU, forget 48. I'd take SCSU in a game versus SDSU 9/10 times. Both were not championship-caliber teams to be sure, but you need an awful lot of rationalization to explain how your defense got shredded like that.

I have no idea what happened against SFA, other than the score. That certainly was more in line with what I expected you to do against SDSU. But those teams were ranked what, 11 and 13 or so? You still have yet to play a top 10 team in the playoffs. Have you even played a top 10 team team all year? We've played and beaten three, including two on the road. Believe if you want that ASU is not more battle tested, you're only fooling yourself if you think that IMO.

SDSU should of beaten a BCS team, so they must be doing something right. I won't argue they're better than SCSU. SCSU is a damn good team.

And I won't defend the 48 points. As has been pointed out, many, many of those were handed to them.

putter
December 7th, 2009, 10:32 AM
The Montana D did not give up 48 to SDSU

1) blocked punt for TD (7)
2) Interception returned to the 2 (7)
3) QB fumble on 11 (3)
4) RB fumble on 10 (7)

SDSU scored 24 points of Montana turnovers.

What would you say if the final score would have been 61-24????

Saint3333
December 7th, 2009, 10:32 AM

Idaho St. - pot meet kettle

Saying Montana has better players all around is more ridiculous thansaying ASU is more battle tested. Both teams are two of the most talented teams in the FCS, if there is a gap it is tiny. ASU has the advantage at QB, DE, LB, and Safeties. Montana has the advantage at o-line, special teams, and maybe WR. The rest are pushes.

Black and Gold Express
December 7th, 2009, 10:38 AM
Express, appreciate you sincere opinion. I agree that AE will be the best athlete on the field as he may have been all season. Montana sometimes plays to the level of competition and against SDSU they had the turnover bug and spotted the Jacks a big lead. What you should have noticed is that, even when SDSU knew the Griz had to throw, they could not stop it and this was against the #5 defense. I don't agree that the Griz scheduled themselves into the #1 seed. Again this is east coast fans thinking that there are no quality teams because they are out west. I am not saying these teams are top level but they are not slouches and the Griz won all these games even when they did not play their best.

The Rock is a great environment but it is not as loud as Wa/Griz, however, I dont think they noise will be a huge deal but it will be loud. Remember Mt. St coach Mike Kramer being asked after playing App about the noise and which was louder. He said, no contest, it was Montana

This is going to be a great game as both teams have playmakers who can change the game every time they touch the ball...xthumbsupx

Putter, I agree with you on the SDSU defense, but that goes into what I was saying from the start - you should have beaten them as badly as you did SFA. To my eyes that was a mismatch talentwise like you don't see much in the playoffs.

What I will be curious to see is how you match up speedwise against ASU. To my belief we are about the same as we have been the last few years. Armanti doesn't run for 200 yards a game anymore because he doesn't have to. We are healthy at the tailback spot unlike last year, and though it would be realy nice to have Hilary out there catching passes, the combination of Cline, Quick, and Elder have been really good. And Jorden, when he gets his number called to catch from the TE spot, has been consistently good. Armanti is completing almost 72% of his passes this year, and they're not all little dumpoffs or screen passes (we called way too many of those against UR, I hope we learned a playcall lesson there).

I will put out one place I think you may have a plus on us at, the kicking game. Vitaris has improved, but he's hardly an automatic for three points. And our punt return team has been really a struggle, no blocking and leaving CAdet to either fair catch all the time, or have to fend off 3-4 defenders if he tries to run it (and you saw what UR did on that, even though that play should have been whistled dead long before the ball was stripped. The fact that he was even back there to catch it, or at the worst case just call for the fair catch, is an evidence of the issues there since he had no blocking help.)

putter
December 7th, 2009, 10:39 AM

Saying Montana has better players all around is more ridiculous thansaying ASU is more battle tested. Both teams are two of the most talented teams in the FCS, if there is a gap it is tiny. ASU has the advantage at QB, DE, LB, and Safeties. Montana has the advantage at o-line, special teams, and maybe WR. The rest are pushes.

Both teams struggled with "inferior" teams this year, al la, WCU and The Citadel so don't throw ISU at us. Montana played poor but ISU played inspired with Jared Allen in the house but the Griz were able to put together a 95 yard drive to win the game. Doesn't matter if it was ISU or App, when you can pull out a game with your backs against the wall, it says more about your team than blowing everyone out by 50.

I agree that both teams are evenly matched. When you get to the semi's that is the way it should be.

theasushow
December 7th, 2009, 10:39 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/stewart_mandel/12/07/college.football.overtime/2.html

AE on SI.com

Black and Gold Express
December 7th, 2009, 10:41 AM
The Montana D did not give up 48 to SDSU

1) blocked punt for TD (7)
2) Interception returned to the 2 (7)
3) QB fumble on 11 (3)
4) RB fumble on 10 (7)

SDSU scored 24 points of Montana turnovers.

What would you say if the final score would have been 61-24????

That would have been a much more understandable score, given those circumstances. I still think the fact that they did get another 24 points in addition to those - points that they had to earn with sustained drives - would be a red flag to me.

Again, I don't have a clue what happened in that 51-0 rout of SFA. In your opinion, was SFA a worse team than SDSU?

Grrrrriz
December 7th, 2009, 10:43 AM

Yes Idaho State...That was my point...Thats why I said "struggled in the same manner as Montana" That is as well why I said it was ridiculous to say that ASU was more battle tested than UM (you gotta read the whole statement)....You do have the advantage at DL, but otherwise the Defense is a push..except for our corners, ours are pretty good. Offense you have QB, we have the RB's WR's (overall) and O line. I don't think your Defense is as good as ours, and our offense will have a bigger advantage over your defense than vise versa.

Skjellyfetti
December 7th, 2009, 10:44 AM

The Montana State game was an early round playoff game (I think quarters?) and I'm sure our attendance was no more than 15,000. We have crappy attendendance in the first couple of rounds for whatever reason.

I'd like to hear Mike Ayers take on KBS vs. Wash-Griz.

AppIAA
December 7th, 2009, 10:44 AM

You do realize that was a playoff game and with less than half the normal attendance right? And it is not a rivalry...

Montana, as usual, scheduled themselves to the #1 seed.. no way around it.. I am not saying that is wrong by any means -- get around the system any way possible. But it can hurt when you finally play a battle tested, championship contender

Grrrrriz
December 7th, 2009, 10:45 AM
That would have been a much more understandable score, given those circumstances. I still think the fact that they did get another 24 points in addition to those - points that they had to earn with sustained drives - would be a red flag to me.

Again, I don't have a clue what happened in that 51-0 rout of SFA. In your opinion, was SFA a worse team than SDSU?

They had a 1 huge play action pass play in the 3rd that got them to the 2 yard line, and a couple 40 yard drives.

Saint3333
December 7th, 2009, 10:47 AM
Yes Idaho State...That was my point...Thats why I said "struggled in the same manner as Montana" That is as well why I said it was ridiculous to say that ASU was more battle tested than UM (you gotta read the whole statement)....You do have the advantage at DL, but otherwise the Defense is a push..except for our corners, ours are pretty good. Offense you have QB, we have the RB's WR's (overall) and O line. I don't think your Defense is as good as ours, and our offense will have a bigger advantage over your defense than vise versa.

ASU has two all-america caliber LB - I'm going to have to disagree there. Also RB's are a push. Devon Moore just rushed for 170 yards vs. the UR defense which averaged giving up 70 yards total a game.

The stats for overall defense would disagree.

Silenoz
December 7th, 2009, 10:50 AM
I'm going to agree that Moore has looked really good in the two games I've seen, while Reynolds has not been very effective the last 3 weeks.

YoUDeeMan
December 7th, 2009, 10:51 AM
Montana by 17.

Rekdiver
December 7th, 2009, 10:51 AM
Forget SDSU and the questions about "D".

Did NAU and EWU get their points and yards agains the UM "D"?

theasushow
December 7th, 2009, 10:52 AM
You do realize that was a playoff game and with less than half the normal attendance right? And it is not a rivalry...

Montana, as usual, scheduled themselves to the #1 seed.. no way around it.. I am not saying that is wrong by any means -- get around the system any way possible. But it can hurt when you finally play a battle tested, championship contender

I agree with this. I think the fact that UM only has 2 national championships over this incredible run into the FCS playoffs may be testament that as the teams get tougher, Montana runs out of gas. I think by the semi's or NC it becomes more clear that UM perhaps wasn't battle tested as much as some other teams. (dont get me wrong 2 NC's is a great feat, but wow Montana is a sure bet to make the playoffs EVERY SINGLE YEAR because they dominate their conference)

putter

These quotes are total BS. I, honestly, didn't think Montana would have received the #1 seed, but they did with the votes from ALL the committee members and the Montana AD was not allowed to vote. Montana went on the road and beat Great West champ UC Davis and played Cal Poly at home for a win. You have no way of knowing how their seasons are going to go but quit hammering on the western teams. Montana went and played 2 FCS teams in their OOC..my God you App posters are starting to sound like CAA posters.

Black and Gold Express
That is as well why I said it was ridiculous to say that ASU was more battle tested than UM.

ASU 3-1 versus current top 10 teams in I-AA. Montana 0-0 against current top 10 teams in I-AA. Two of ASU's 3 wins came on the road.

Again, who's more battle-tested here?

CopperCat
December 7th, 2009, 10:53 AM
ASU has two all-america caliber LB - I'm going to have to disagree there. Also RB's are a push. Devon Moore just rushed for 170 yards vs. the UR defense which averaged giving up 70 yards total a game.

The stats for overall defense would disagree.

I have a feeling stats aren't going to mean too much here. Go and watch the SDSU game if you can find it somewhere. UM shot themselves in the foot on offense and the defense saved them in the fourth quarter and gave them the chance to win. The offense also player pretty inspired in the second half as well (34 points in the 4th). I actually watched the entire UR-ASU game on TV, and ASU played with some grit. AE is still as good as ever. Like I said, stats aren't going to tell the story. You will just have to sit and watch this game to see what the result will be.

Silenoz
December 7th, 2009, 10:58 AM
Forget SDSU and the questions about "D".

Did NAU and EWU get their points and yards agains the UM "D"?

In the same way Wofford, McNeese, and the Citadel scored against yours I guess

If that was a serious question, then I apologize for being a smart-ass xlolx. Yes, they did

putter
December 7th, 2009, 10:58 AM
I agree with this. I think the fact that UM only has 2 national championships over this incredible run into the FCS playoffs may be testament that as the teams get tougher, Montana runs out of gas. I think by the semi's or NC it becomes more clear that UM perhaps wasn't battle tested as much as some other teams. (dont get me wrong 2 NC's is a great feat, but wow Montana is a sure bet to make the playoffs EVERY SINGLE YEAR because they dominate their conference)

Unbelievable... I guess JMU was just really tired from playing their tough CAA schedule and the first 2 games at home in the playoffs. That is the only way that they could have lost at home to the Griz last year and I find it absolutely hilarious that you say Montana ONLY has 2 NC because they weren't battle tested. What about the years when they played Iowa and Oregon? You can bash the conference as I believe it is not that strong top to bottom (not a whole lot different than the SOCON) but drop the battle tested notion. Montana has lost to Georgia Southern (with AP), Marshall (w/Randy Moss, Erik Kresser) JMU who ran down the Griz throat on that field, and a Richmond team that took Montana out of their running game and was just plain better that one night. You talk like it is a sham if you make it to the NC and lose to a good team....

AppIAA
December 7th, 2009, 10:59 AM
These quotes are total BS. I, honestly, didn't think Montana would have received the #1 seed, but they did with the votes from ALL the committee members and the Montana AD was not allowed to vote. Montana went on the road and beat Great West champ UC Davis and played Cal Poly at home for a win. You have no way of knowing how their seasons are going to go but quit hammering on the western teams. Montana went and played 2 FCS teams in their OOC..my God you App posters are starting to sound like CAA posters.

They were the only undefeated team -- the "deserved" the #1 seed based on that alone..

I am not hammering on any western teams at all.. just Montana's schedule. And again, I am not saying it is a bad thing at all. There are plenty of western teams that could be scheduled that would help this out.. (USC, Oregon, Oregon State, Washington, Boise St..)

Silenoz
December 7th, 2009, 11:00 AM

Winning the championship is really hard. You guys struck oil in 2005 and became a powerhouse almost overnight. We've fallen just short, many, many times.

bpcats
December 7th, 2009, 11:01 AM
Should be an exciting game and a classic match up.

Montana's offense is very balanced and that oline can be devastating in the 3rd and 4th quarter with their NFL size. As long as Appy has a solid rotation of 8 guys along the dline without any drop off then they can hang in there. SFA had a very talented front four on defense but they were worn out after the second quarter. Mariani will pretty much abuse any of your corners or even if he is covered he will still make the play.

On defense, Montana has a huge defensive front but their pass rush isn't as strong as it has been in past years. Montana will have to play it normal sound football because Appy will take advantage of any mistakes in their assignments.

Appy has a lot of speed at a lot of different positions but the key to their winning the game will be their oline and dline play versus Montana's power run game.

Can't wait to see it.

AppIAA
December 7th, 2009, 11:01 AM
Winning the championship is really hard. You guys struck oil in 2005 and became a powerhouse almost overnight. We've fallen just short, many, many times.

I think you just made his point with that post...

gbhmt
December 7th, 2009, 11:02 AM
Offense-

QB- Armanti's an instant win in this category. App St.

RB- Chase Reynolds and Devon Moore have nearly identical numbers. Montana's other RB seem to be better than App St.'s, but that's probably because Armanti runs it himself as opposed to using other RB's. Push.

WR/TE- App St. has two solid receivers in Cline and Quick, but Montana's got a top-3 FCS receiver in Mariani and the best all-around TE corps in the country. Montana

OL- Without stats to compare here, Montana probably gets the edge just by virtue of sheer size. Montana

Defense-

DL- Comparing apples to oranges here. App's DL has a few more sacks. Montana's DL has more interceptions, as we'll occasionally drop a lineman back into coverage. Push.

LB- Both have solid LB corps, App's simply has more numbers to show. App. St.

Safety- App takes it with Mark Legree. A lot like last year, he doesn't have many tackles for a safety but 7 picks is tough to ignore. App. St.

CB- Little Keith Thompson for Montana showed he can pack a punch against SDSU when he lit up their 255 lb TE. Trumaine Johnson has five picks and 11 pass breakups while being out of the game for nearly half the season. Montana.

Special Teams-

Kicking- Brody McKnight for Montana has been money inside 40 this year, but Vitaris has been money from pretty much everywhere. App St.

Punting- Montana's Sean Wren sits at 10th in the country in punting, but App St.'s Sam Martin is only two yards behind in average. However, Montana's net punting is 4th in the country while App St.'s is 23rd. Montana

Kick Returns- Montana: 2nd overall. App. St: 61st overall. Pretty clear. Montana

Punt Returns- Mariani's the most feared returner in the country at the moment. Cadet's nowhere near him. Montana

Intangibles- Overwhemlingly Montana. Black and Gold mentioned that he came to the game in 2000 and experienced the environment. Sorry to break it to you, but our stadium is MUCH bigger now. You talk like the fact that App has a big stadium would help them deal with the environment of Washington-Griz, but a loud crowd at home does not hurt home team. Really, the louder your home crowd is, the better your team plays. Add the weather to the toughest place to play in the country and it swings this category in the Griz's favor. App St may be riled up from a big close victory at Richmond, but this Montana team has scored 91 unanswered points. That's what I call momentum. Montana

Silenoz
December 7th, 2009, 11:02 AM
I think you just made his point with that post...

I guess

I'm saying I don't care who you play in the regular season. Surviving the FCS playoffs is no short order.

putter
December 7th, 2009, 11:03 AM
They were the only undefeated team -- the "deserved" the #1 seed based on that alone..

I am not hammering on any western teams at all.. just Montana's schedule. And again, I am not saying it is a bad thing at all. There are plenty of western teams that could be scheduled that would help this out.. (USC, Oregon, Oregon State, Washington, Boise St..)

You realize that we are in the FCS??? You are not required to play FBS and don't get extra credit for doing so, unless you win.. Playing up is for $$$$ and nothing more (for the school) and for the fans it has become a pissing contest. There is no way you can tell me that you would feel better about Montana at 13-0 with who they played or 12-1 with a 49-0 loss against the USC Trojans.

AppIAA
December 7th, 2009, 11:06 AM
Kicking- Brody McKnight for Montana has been money inside 40 this year, but Vitaris has been money from pretty much everywhere. App St.

That alone makes your entire post moot.. That is more wrong than saying SFA should have beat Montana..

AppIAA
December 7th, 2009, 11:08 AM
You realize that we are in the FCS??? You are not required to play FBS and don't get extra credit for doing so, unless you win.. Playing up is for $$$$ and nothing more (for the school) and for the fans it has become a pissing contest. There is no way you can tell me that you would feel better about Montana at 13-0 with who they played or 12-1 with a 49-0 loss against the USC Trojans.

That is the exact point..

You realize that we are in the FCS??? You are not required to play DII... the argument can go both ways.. Again, I am not saying its wrong by any means.. just saying the classical OOC schedule lends to an undefeated season and thus the #1 seed more so than a strong OOC schedule and losing 1 or 2 of them..

However, the strong OOC prepares the team for battle early.. hence the "more battle tested" arguement..

gbhmt
December 7th, 2009, 11:13 AM
That alone makes your entire post moot.. That is more wrong than saying SFA should have beat Montana..

Hardly. Vitaris is at least 60-70% in each category (20-29, 30-39, etc) which McKnight is a lowly 2-7 from 40-49 and 1-5 from 50 up. Like it or not, you've got the advantage. So no, it doesn't make anything moot.

Silenoz
December 7th, 2009, 11:15 AM

You realize that we are in the FCS??? You are not required to play DII... the argument can go both ways.. Again, I am not saying its wrong by any means.. just saying the classical OOC schedule lends to an undefeated season and thus the #1 seed more so than a strong OOC schedule and losing 1 or 2 of them..

However, the strong OOC prepares the team for battle early.. hence the "more battle tested" arguement..
We had the best record the last 2 seasons as well, and got seeded 3 and 4 as punishment for not playing a FBS

AppIAA
December 7th, 2009, 11:16 AM
Hardly. Vitaris is at least 60-70% in each category (20-29, 30-39, etc) which McKnight is a lowly 2-7 from 40-49 and 1-5 from 50 up. Like it or not, you've got the advantage. So no, it doesn't make anything moot.

Saying Vitaris is money from anywhere makes anything moot.. he is FAR from money.. He has gotten better as the season wore on, but still not money.

There is a reason the students cross their fingers on every kick (XP, FG) and most would rather us go for it on 4th if we're in FG range...

gbhmt
December 7th, 2009, 11:18 AM

There's really no argument here. App. State has played 4 top 25 teams, they're 3-1 against them. Montana has played 4 top 25 teams, they're 4-0. And this is using the TSN poll. If you wanted to use the GPI, Montana's played six top 25 teams and gone 6-0, while App. State has played five top 25 teams and gone 4-1. Fact is you're not any more battle tested than we are. It's about the same.

Silenoz
December 7th, 2009, 11:19 AM
Yeah, but has he had a sequence of extra points like this: off the goalpost, off the goalpost, blocked

Our kicking team sucks more than your kicking team!

Grrrrriz

and you guys scheduled yourselves out of a seed by losing to Mcneese. (SLC #2) We just beat the SLC #1 by 51 pts.

gbhmt
Saying Vitaris is money from anywhere makes anything moot.. he is FAR from money.. He has gotten better as the season wore on, but still not money.

There is a reason the students cross their fingers on every kick (XP, FG) and most would rather us go for it on 4th if we're in FG range...

I can't see why you'd cross your fingers on an XP considering he's made EVERY one this year...xcoffeex Sorry to break it to you, but 18-25 isn't bad at all. 14-24 on the other hand...

Black and Gold Express
December 7th, 2009, 11:20 AM
You talk like it is a sham if you make it to the NC and lose to a good team....

We wouldn't know about losing in the NC game... xsmiley_wix

AppIAA
December 7th, 2009, 11:21 AM
We had the best record the last 2 seasons as well, and got seeded 3 and 4 as punishment for not playing a FBS

2007 3 teams had a perfect record (11-0) so the strength of schedule was put into consideration..

2008 you had 12 games, 1 was a DII.. take that one out, and you have the same record as the number 1 seed..

The seeding takes into consideration strength of schedule..

Silenoz
December 7th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Also, our kicker has multiple personal fouls this season

Check. Mate.

xlolx :p

AppIAA
December 7th, 2009, 11:22 AM
There's really no argument here. App. State has played 4 top 25 teams, they're 3-1 against them. Montana has played 4 top 25 teams, they're 4-0. And this is using the TSN poll. If you wanted to use the GPI, Montana's played six top 25 teams and gone 6-0, while App. State has played five top 25 teams and gone 4-1. Fact is you're not any more battle tested than we are. It's about the same.

Not arguing, but how many of those have been on the road for each?

And look at the top 10 instead of the top 25..

gbhmt
December 7th, 2009, 11:23 AM
Also, our kicker has multiple personal fouls this season

Check. Mate.

xlolx :p

xoutofrepx

Black and Gold Express
December 7th, 2009, 11:23 AM
I can't see why you'd cross your fingers on an XP considering he's made EVERY one this year...xcoffeex Sorry to break it to you, but 18-25 isn't bad at all. 14-24 on the other hand.

I am as guilty of this internally as many are externally - but it seems to me that Vitaris has been branded forever more as a risky kicker. Probably very unfairly, like I said I am as guilty of this by thinking bad thoughts when he kicks - hoping he makes it instead of expecting him to do so. But I do wish our fans (it's the students mainly I think) would show some class and stop with the overtures of holding up crossed fingers. That doesn't help matters at all.

Silenoz
December 7th, 2009, 11:24 AM
2007 3 teams had a perfect record (11-0) so the strength of schedule was put into consideration..

2008 you had 12 games, 1 was a DII.. take that one out, and you have the same record as the number 1 seed..

The seeding takes into consideration strength of schedule..

I know it does. That's why I'm saying scheduling "soft" doesn't guarantee a free ride through the playoffs.

AppIAA
December 7th, 2009, 11:25 AM
and you guys scheduled yourselves out of a seed by losing to Mcneese. (SLC #2) We just beat the SLC #1 by 51 pts.

No argument there.. I agree without that loss, we would have a seed. I sure hope the Griz think the same exact way you do and think "hey we just beat a team that was better that Apps only FCS loss.. we don't need to prepare"

We are MUCH better than we were in that game..

Black and Gold Express
December 7th, 2009, 11:26 AM

Top 25? Try the top 10 like I posted here twice and get back to us. That attempt at fact spinning just failed big time.

AppIAA
December 7th, 2009, 11:26 AM
I know it does. That's why I'm saying scheduling "soft" doesn't guarantee a free ride through the playoffs.

No it doesnt.. but since you were the only undefeated team this year, the "soft" scheduling definitely helped THIS year

gbhmt
December 7th, 2009, 11:27 AM
Not arguing, but how many of those have been on the road for each?

And look at the top 10 instead of the top 25..

Going by the GPI top ten, we're 2-0. You're 2-0. Which means your loss to a top 25 was outside the top ten.

gbhmt
December 7th, 2009, 11:28 AM
Top 25? Try the top 10 like I posted here twice and get back to us. That attempt at fact spinning just failed big time.

Take a look above...xcoffeex

AppIAA
December 7th, 2009, 11:28 AM
Going by the GPI top ten, we're 2-0. You're 2-0. Which means your loss to a top 25 was outside the top ten.

How about the road schedules on that? both of ours are on the road..

gbhmt
December 7th, 2009, 11:30 AM
How about the road schedules on that? both of ours are on the road..

Oh well I guess we can just chalk up another top ten win for you then? Good teams are expected to win on the road.

Skjellyfetti
December 7th, 2009, 11:31 AM
And Montana's are over #9 and #10 at home. We beat #2 and #7 on the road.

AppIAA
December 7th, 2009, 11:31 AM
Oh well I guess we can just chalk up another top ten win for you then? Good teams are expected to win on the road.

Way to skew words.. not what i was saying..

2 top 10 wins on the road is MORE BATTLE TESTED than 2 top 10 wins at home...

gbhmt
December 7th, 2009, 11:33 AM
Way to skew words.. not what i was saying..

2 top 10 wins on the road is MORE BATTLE TESTED than 2 top 10 wins at home...

Then if we want to talk about what a vast advantage the home turf is, then why is it that you managed to lose to a team not in the top ten...at home. Goes both ways.

GOKATS
December 7th, 2009, 11:36 AM

SFA turned the ball over 10 times!!!!!! The griz took advantage of those TO's just like SDSU took advantage of griz TO's the week before.

gbhmt
All this boils down to is Montana isn't any more "battle tested" than App., and App isn't any more "battle tested" than Montana. And the whole Montana can't beat a top ten team away from home point is pretty pointless when they're playing App, you know...AT HOME.

AppIAA
Then if we want to talk about what a vast advantage the home turf is, then why is it that you managed to lose to a team not in the top ten...at home. Goes both ways.

So are you saying yourself that it doesnt matter who is on the road and who is home??? Isn't that a premise for all Griz fans? That WaGriz is the hardest place to play...???

Yes, we lost AT HOME to a NOT top ten team -- IN THE SECOND GAME OF THE SEASON WITH A LESS THAN 100% BEST PLAYER IN FCS BY 5 (really 3.. safety at the end trying to make something happen on the kickoff with 4 seconds left)

We have gotten MUCH better as the season has gone on.. Regardless, it will be a good game.. obviously facts do not bode well for you when you try to argue

Grizzmark
December 7th, 2009, 11:37 AM
A lot of spinning going on here which is, as was hinted at earlier, starting to sound like a CAA thread. Bottom line, two great teams, storied pasts, huge-stake game.....hang on for a fantastic matchup.

gbhmt
December 7th, 2009, 11:39 AM
This thread needs a change of pace:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-jt5ACBh2o

:D

placidlakegriz
December 7th, 2009, 11:41 AM
So are you saying

We have gotten MUCH better as the season has gone on.. Regardless, it will be a good game.. obviously facts do not bode well for you when you try to argue

tell me, which one of the remaining teams has not gotten MUCH better as the season went on???

AppIAA
December 7th, 2009, 11:42 AM
tell me, which one of the remaining teams has not gotten MUCH better as the season went on???

Thats not the argument at all.. please read the thread..