#81 looks good

gbhmt
December 9th, 2009, 05:47 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TNXvHF80b0&feature=related

the N Ari back didnt seem to have much interest on the play at 5:13

Yeah that one had me a little puzzled. I wasn't going to complain though. xlolx

B&G
December 9th, 2009, 05:48 PM
And we get it--you guys run the spread and have speed.

And don't forget the three rings. ;)

gbhmt
December 9th, 2009, 05:50 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TNXvHF80b0&feature=related

the N Ari back didnt seem to have much interest on the play at 5:08

#81 looks good

Yeah he's our number two receiver. Twin brother of our DE, #42. Great hands, really strong. Not as fast as Mariani though.

griz8791
December 9th, 2009, 05:56 PM
. . . Lets move on .We all know by now after 300 posts that it is going to be cold and loud:D

Make that 301 post

These guys can't move on, shooter. This is a catechism for them and they're simply going to recite it to you no matter how many times you've already heard it.

Mountaineer#96
December 9th, 2009, 05:58 PM
http://vimeo.com/7980376

This video gave me chills...to strap on the old jock strap again... xrotatehx

..........but not in that way guys......xlolx

B&G
December 9th, 2009, 06:03 PM
Has Montana played against a proficient running QB this season?

gbhmt
December 9th, 2009, 06:05 PM
Has Montana played against a proficient running QB this season?

Not really. Landers was the last one we've encountered. We played Cal Poly, who normally runs the triple spread but they lost their QB from last year and have a new coach so I think they moved away from that.

B&G
December 9th, 2009, 06:08 PM
Not really. Landers was the last one we've encountered. We played Cal Poly, who normally runs the triple spread but they lost their QB from last year and have a new coach so I think they moved away from that.

Do you think Roper can do a decent enough job of simulating Armanti in practice or would you guys have to get a WR or someone to work against?

ericsaid
December 9th, 2009, 06:09 PM
I don't know if anyone remembers App did travel to ECU this season and it was the second largest attendance at Dowdy Ficklen only behind the Virginia Tech game.

I'm sure it will not be any louder in Missoula than it was in Greenville.

gbhmt
December 9th, 2009, 06:10 PM
Do you think Roper can do a decent enough job of simulating Armanti in practice or would you guys have to get a WR or someone to work against?

We're probably using Gerald Kemp, our third stringer. He's a running QB that would fit right into a spread offense.

gbhmt
December 9th, 2009, 06:11 PM
I don't know if anyone remembers App did travel to ECU this season and it was the second largest attendance at Dowdy Ficklen only behind the Virginia Tech game.

xdeadhorsex

I would post a quote refuting this but it really isn't worth it anymore. xnonono2x

ericsaid
December 9th, 2009, 06:15 PM
xdeadhorsex

I would post a quote refuting this but it really isn't worth it anymore. xnonono2x

I realize everyones talked about the noise and weather but I haven't seen any posts referring to the noise at ECU. Either way I don't think it'll make much of a difference.

The biggest difference will be the speed but I see App trying to run run and run the ball some more. It doesn't seem that Armanti is injured anymore so I could see a run first approach in this game.

gbhmt
December 9th, 2009, 06:17 PM
I realize everyones talked about the noise and weather but I haven't seen any posts referring to the noise at ECU. Either way I don't think it'll make much of a difference.

The biggest difference will be the speed but I see App trying to run run and run the ball some more. It doesn't seem that Armanti is injured anymore so I could see a run first approach in this game.

It might be a run first approach, but I would anticipate seeing you guys switch to the pass pretty quick because we've been much better against the run than the pass and in the few times that we have been getting burned on the ground, we've been confident enough in our secondary to put a few extra people in the box. On that note, I think running is going to be the key to the game. Whoever can hold onto the ball the longest wins. This is definitely a game where the best defense will be keeping the other offense off of the field for as long as possible.

Silenoz
December 9th, 2009, 06:22 PM
Griz fans, who is #80? #34? #16? #81?

Ah, didn't think you were serious

80 is Mariani, one of our all-time greats
34 is Reynolds our RB, will be breaking our all-time scoring record some time early next season
16 is Zambrano, our #3 WR, speedster, great on returns, questionable drops at times
81 is Palmer, #2 receiver, decent speed, hands, great blocker. Not a particularly huge threat

ericsaid
December 9th, 2009, 06:32 PM
It might be a run first approach, but I would anticipate seeing you guys switch to the pass pretty quick because we've been much better against the run than the pass and in the few times that we have been getting burned on the ground, we've been confident enough in our secondary to put a few extra people in the box. On that note, I think running is going to be the key to the game. Whoever can hold onto the ball the longest wins. This is definitely a game where the best defense will be keeping the other offense off of the field for as long as possible.

I'm not sure about shying away from the run. Devon Moore ran for 175 yards against UR's defense and two TD's. If running works it will open up Armanti both running and throwing the ball.

App's best defense in the game will be the offense. Keeping Montana's O off the field and keeping that big o line from beating up on the dline for a while will be crucial.

Grizaholic17
December 9th, 2009, 06:36 PM
I'm not sure about shying away from the run. Devon Moore ran for 175 yards against UR's defense and two TD's. If running works it will open up Armanti both running and throwing the ball.

App's best defense in the game will be the offense. Keeping Montana's O off the field and keeping that big o line from beating up on the dline for a while will be crucial.

I hope our coaches have a gameplan to keep our O on the field! haha. I do not want to see too much of AE.

JWASU10
December 9th, 2009, 07:04 PM

Lately we've been a more balanced team, especially with AE being slightly injured. But now that he's healthy, who knows what Saturday will look like. I just hope at the end of the day it comes out as a trip to Chattanooga yet again for the Mountaineers!

CrackerRiley
December 9th, 2009, 07:18 PM
Drove by and watched practice for a few minutes today. They were indeed playing crowd noise over the PA. Wasn't relatively loud but they did have speakers also on the field that were about 10 feet away from where they were lining up blaring crowd noise.
The only thing I saw the offense practicing was something that wasn't working at all in last weeks game: Screen passes.

GreatAppSt
December 9th, 2009, 07:23 PM
The only thing I saw the offense practicing was something that wasn't working at all in last weeks game: Screen passes.Doesn't matter.

Montany's Toast

AppAlum96
December 9th, 2009, 08:14 PM
And we get it--you guys run the spread and have speed.

Has that been mentioned? I must've missed it because I can't hear myself think. :p

caribbeanhen
December 9th, 2009, 08:17 PM
Ah, didn't think you were serious

80 is Mariani, one of our all-time greats
34 is Reynolds our RB, will be breaking our all-time scoring record some time early next season
16 is Zambrano, our #3 WR, speedster, great on returns, questionable drops at times
81 is Palmer, #2 receiver, decent speed, hands, great blocker. Not a particularly huge threat

thanks for the scouting report, let me ask you this
is Mariani really fast or just white boy fast?

AppAlum96
December 9th, 2009, 08:17 PM

Shhh! I think we were getting close to dropping the noise subject!

soccerguy315
December 9th, 2009, 08:30 PM
I hope all the ASU fans are reading this thread with their headphones on and the volume cranked up, so they will be ready for Saturday.

Appguy
December 9th, 2009, 08:31 PM
time of possession will likely be on your side, but App usually scores quickly, or not at all.

Green26
December 9th, 2009, 08:35 PM
thanks for the scouting report, let me ask you this
is Mariani really fast or just white boy fast?

Mariani is a low 4.4's guy. He has terrific acceleration. He has run a 4.37 (last year) and ran a 4.38 late last summer.

All electronically timed.

Another receiver, Sambrano, has about the same speed. Another receiver, Palmer, who is bigger, has good speed, but is not that fast.

Most of the UM receivers are good blockers, will block on every play they're not being thrown to, will block after the pass is caught, and will either cut the defender or throw a higher block. If receivers can't block at UM, they don't play.

Grizaholic17
December 9th, 2009, 08:37 PM
I hope all the ASU fans are reading this thread with their headphones on and the volume cranked up, so they will be ready for Saturday.

xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

Kudos!

In all seriousness though, it will affect the no huddle. Jerry Moore even said communication is key at the line of scrimmage in their offense, Griz Fans will do everything they can to disrupt it.

B&G
December 9th, 2009, 08:38 PM
I'm bored so I figured I'd help the Montana fans out with a numerical roster of key players with comments to use during the game...

2 WR DeAndre Presley - former #2 QB now 3rd QB/6th WR. May not see the field.
3 WR Blake Elder - 3rd WR, not a burner but has good hands. Gaining Armanti's trust.
4 RB Rod Chisholm - young RB w/ talent but may not see field due to his poor blocking
5 CB Cortez Gilbert - lockdown CB has been slumping. May be the guy shadowing Mariani.
6 WR CoCo Hillary - OUT FOR SEASON
7 UT Travaris Cadet - Punt Returner, backup QB. Good in open field (if he ever gets any)
8 WR Brian Quick - Randy Moss-like measurables, starting to show toughness. Big Play Artist.
9 LB DJ Smith - All-American candidate always around the ball

13 DB Mark LeGree - Rangy ballhawk w/ 17 int's in past two seasons
14 QB Armanti Edwards - you should already know
16 RB Devin Radford - Kickoff returner is fastest on team. Very limited success at RB this year.
17 WR Matt Cline - Leading receiver. Clutch, great hands. Doesn't dance around.
18 DB Dominique McDuffie - NB w/ knack for big play. D improved when he won job midseason.
19 WR Tavaris Washington - very fast but not very impressive. limited contributor.

20 RB Devon Moore - versatile back whose only weakness has been occasional fumblitis
25 DB Jared Reine - App fans will cuss if he gets in at NB. It means big plays for the Griz.
28 CB Ed Gainey - #2 CB gets picked on a lot. Has good hands but not always in right place.
29 RB Cedric Baker - slashing RB has been good in limited time. Also has had some fumbles.

31 DB Troy Sanders - good special teamer who can chip in at DB
33 LB Jeremy Kimbrough - near the top for ASU in special teams tackles
36 LB Justin Lloyd - Starts at Bandit. Steady but doesn't make a lot of impact plays.
39 PK Jason Vitaris - Not as bad as ASU fans would have you believe. Strong leg. 70% accuracy.

40 LB Jacque Roman - big MLB a leader on the D. Hard hitter. Has lacked big play this year.
42 LB Michael Frazier - top special teamer. BIG hitter. Could see time as Bandit.
46 DE Tony Robertson - decent pass rusher has been lost in the shuffle. will rotate in.
48 TE Brad Hardee - backup TE. Good blocker, bad hands.

52 DE Demery Brewer - young DE has shown pass rush ability. will rotate in.
54 DE Jabari Fletcher - Starter. 6.5 sacks. Leads team in QBH.
56 DT Bobby Bozzo - big guy has packed on weight and become a solid rotation guy
57 OL Brett Irvin - starting center. Will be in the mix for AA honors.
58 DT Daniel Finnerty - looked good vs SCSU. Has a sweet mullet.
59 LS Wilson Fitchett - tiny long snapper at 5'10" 230lbs

61 LT Mario Acitelli - experienced and strong. May garner some AA consideration.
63 OL Daniel Kilgore - agile top backup OL (former TE).
64 RT Orry Frye - good yr protecting Armanti's blindside.
67 OL Zach Brown - another good backup OL

70 RG Matt Ruff - unsung member of OL. has been quietly solid.
71 LG Pat Mills - quick feet. one too many false starts for my liking.

83 WR Dominick Magazu - BC transfer now our FG holder
84 TE Ben Jorden - has big gut but very quick for his size. good hands. perhaps underused.
85 WR BJ Frazier - kickoff returner with good burst. backup WR with below avg hands.
86 TE Tim Frye - Good blocker, bad hands. Dropped wide open TD earlier in season.

90 P/K Sam Martin - very good punter w/ strength and accuracy also handles kickoffs.
91 DT Malcolm Bennett - best combo run stopper/pass rusher on our interior
93 DE John Rizor - mainly special teamer but has some pass rush. poor vs run.
95 DT Gordy Witte - 6'6" former OL. will rotate in.
98 DT Anthony Williams - probably our best run stopper
99 DE Lanston Tanyi - leads team with 7.5 sacks.

-- Hope this helps!

caribbeanhen
December 9th, 2009, 08:49 PM
fans? heck the Montana coaches could use that

Saint3333
December 9th, 2009, 08:50 PM
Wow 47 player + CoCo breakdown! Pretty good one too.

Watch for the big hits by Smith and McDuffie of D and Frazier on special teams.

One thing that doesn't get enough attention is that only 50 some players get to dress for the FCS playoffs which likely hurts teams like ASU and Montana on special teams and depth they typically get to utilize during the regular season.

caribbeanhen
December 9th, 2009, 08:52 PM

xlolx

anyone want to guess what CD/ or songs they might be listening to?

gbhmt
December 9th, 2009, 09:25 PM
B&G's breakdown just gave me another opportunity to delay studying for finals! I'll have one up later tonight.

dungeonjoe
December 9th, 2009, 09:27 PM
All this crowd noise discussion reminds me of the discussion here prior to Wofford's win there in 2007. The Montana folks are correct. It is the loudest place Wofford has played

But Wofford won there.

It is loud but the Griz can be beaten there if App plays the best game they are capable of playing.

If not it will be a long deafening afternoon.

Black and Gold Express
December 9th, 2009, 09:29 PM
Yet they still have a better scoring defense than you in spite of that. Oh! and also total defense, running defense, and pass efficiency defense. The only thing you edge them in is passing defense, and you're two spots ahead of them, probably due to the fact that we put up twice their average. You asked for tidbits to prove the statement right. There you go. Over the whole season, they're better in every aspect. xrulesx

I love when people over-rely on rankings based on completely different result sets. There is exactly one common opponent between SDSU and ASU - Georgia Southern. There's your only valid comparison. Let's take a look.

SDSU vs. GSU (http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/gamecenter/recap/NCAAF_20090912_GAS@SDST)

ASU vs. GSU (https://admin.xosn.com/fls/21500/StatsHTML/football/2009/asu1024.htm)

Let's see...

Total offense for GSU: 75 plays, 243 yards against SDSU. 61 plays, 171 yards against ASU.

Net rushing for GSU: 21-11 SDSU. 27-15 ASU.

Net Passing for GSU: 31-54-232 SDSU. 20-34-156 ASU.

Shall I continue? Or do you still want to hold onto the baseless claims of stats built on no other common opponents to make your "point"?

gbhmt
December 9th, 2009, 09:29 PM
All this crowd noise discussion reminds me of the discussion here prior to Wofford's win there in 2007. The Montana folks are correct. It is the loudest place Wofford has played

But Wofford won there.

It is loud but the Griz can be beaten there if App plays the best game they are capable of playing.

Wofford's experience was a much different animal. Smaller stadium, smaller stage, and probably a good 7000 people less.

gbhmt
December 9th, 2009, 09:33 PM
I love when people over-rely on rankings based on completely different result sets. There is exactly one common opponent between SDSU and ASU - Georgia Southern. There's your only valid comparison. Let's take a look.

SDSU vs. GSU (http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/gamecenter/recap/NCAAF_20090912_GAS@SDST)

ASU vs. GSU (https://admin.xosn.com/fls/21500/StatsHTML/football/2009/asu1024.htm)

Let's see...

Total offense for GSU: 75 plays, 243 yards against SDSU. 61 plays, 171 yards against ASU.

Net rushing for GSU: 21-11 SDSU. 27-15 ASU.

Net Passing for GSU: 31-54-232 SDSU. 20-34-156 ASU.

Shall I continue? Or do you still want to hold onto the baseless claims of stats built on no other common opponents to make your "point"?

Common opponents a valid comparison?!?! Wow. That's...kind of hilarious. That's usually a last resort in a debate. If you really think a single game in a whole season is more accurate than all, then I've just got nothing to say.

WyomingGrizFan
December 9th, 2009, 09:35 PM
Sounds like it'll be a good turn out for the game. By noon wednesday 21,900 tickets have been sold already.

http://www.montanagrizzlies.com/pages/news_item.aspx?n=8552&m=18

gbhmt
December 9th, 2009, 09:43 PM
Seriously though, if you really think the common opponent or transitive property stuff really works, I've got a treat waiting for you...just say the word. xrulesx

pbr1893
December 9th, 2009, 09:58 PM
xlolx

anyone want to guess what CD/ or songs they might be listening to?

probably a downloaded podcast of the 2007 championship in chatty...you remember that don't you?:D

GunsAndGuitars
December 9th, 2009, 10:14 PM
probably a downloaded podcast of the 2007 championship in chatty...you remember that don't you?:D

I don't remember much of it...I remember the drive there and the drive home though...the first was much more pleasant. (edit:That's probably because I did a bit too much tailgating.)

WyomingGrizFan
December 9th, 2009, 10:20 PM
There is exactly one common opponent between SDSU and ASU - Georgia Southern. There's your only valid comparison. Let's take a look.

Only one valid comparison and that's considering the likes of stating a common opponent between SDSU and ASU? Well, maybe. But what about S. F. Austin 16 - 13 over McNeese St.? And what about McNeese St. over ASU 40 - 35?

If I have that correct, the Griz defeated a team that defeated a team that defeated Appalachian State. Right? Interesting. That's if that counts for anything, right? Carry on.

P.S. of course, the above comparison is about as cogent as just this last summer in MLB. The N.Y.Yankees lose two of three to the Washington Natinals and then go on to win the World Series. Go figure.

Still like the odds thought, especially in Wash-Griz Stadium.

mtbigdog
December 9th, 2009, 10:29 PM
The hell with w & m -vllanova game. Lets just declare the winner of the montana-appy game the national champs.This game is more exciting and drawing much more media attention. GO GRIZZZZZZZZZ

GunsAndGuitars
December 9th, 2009, 10:33 PM
The hell with w & m -vllanova game. Lets just declare the winner of the montana-appy game the national champs.This game is more exciting and drawing much more media attention. GO GRIZZZZZZZZZ

Then we won't get to travel to our second home.

GOKATS
December 9th, 2009, 10:47 PM

But Wofford won there.

Good point! SDSU shut up the griz crowd big time, but then with five minutes to go in the 3rd quarter SDSU got on the bus and headed home. App doesn't have to play their best game ever, they just need to get an early lead and hang on to it or add to it the rest of the game. Probably 70-80% of griz fans are of the bandwagon type, and if ASU puts up a good lead they'll vacate.

Ronbo
December 9th, 2009, 10:59 PM
I wondered about that Mr. Cat at halftime when the stadium cleared as we were down 34-14. But lo and behold the stands refilled to capacity 5 minutes after the 3rd quarter started and stayed full even as we went down 48-21. Those are not bandwagon fans.

APP SHOOTER
December 9th, 2009, 11:10 PM
Cant stand it no more.I just downloaded me one of those count down clocks and named it "Hunting Season Begins"63 hrs 51 min 38 sec to kick off.Pretty neat
heres the link:D

www.nestersoft.com/timeleft/countdown.shtml

GunsAndGuitars
December 9th, 2009, 11:36 PM
Cant stand it no more.I just downloaded me one of those count down clocks and named it "Hunting Season Begins"63 hrs 51 min 38 sec to kick off.Pretty neat
heres the link:D

www.nestersoft.com/timeleft/countdown.shtml

Mine's now black and gold and counting down to "Teddy Bear Season"

GOKATS
December 9th, 2009, 11:41 PM
I wondered about that Mr. Cat at halftime when the stadium cleared as we were down 34-14. But lo and behold the stands refilled to capacity 5 minutes after the 3rd quarter started and stayed full even as we went down 48-21. Those are not bandwagon fans.

But it sure was quiet for a long, long, long, time...................................

Hell, I'm not knocking the griz, it was a helluva comeback against a team that forgot they had to play the last 20 minutes. As a pretty good tailgater myself, I do have to admit that after the half the griz fans dribbled in and were there to make noise after SDSU failed to show up.

I hate to rail on SDSU, but blowing that lead (twice) was flat ass pathetic.xnodx

Silenoz
December 10th, 2009, 12:03 AM
Good point! SDSU shut up the griz crowd big time, but then with five minutes to go in the 3rd quarter SDSU got on the bus and headed home. App doesn't have to play their best game ever, they just need to get an early lead and hang on to it or add to it the rest of the game. Probably 70-80% of griz fans are of the bandwagon type, and if ASU puts up a good lead they'll vacate.

Same old #@#$

GOKATS
December 10th, 2009, 12:19 AM
Same old #@#$

Truth hurts doesn't it.xnodxxnodx

BTW, being a griz fan, do you work at the McDonalds on W. Main in Bozeman or the one in Belgrade? I see you post you're in Bozeman.:p

Grizalltheway
December 10th, 2009, 12:43 AM

Do you think before you post, or do you just say the dumbest thing that comes to mind? xlolx

Silenoz
December 10th, 2009, 12:56 AM

BTW, being a griz fan, do you work at the McDonalds on W. Main in Bozeman or the one in Belgrade? I see you post you're in Bozeman.:p
Funny, because there's a truth to about 70-80% of Bobcat fans. Can't focus on their own team because they're too busy getting wrapped up in their little sister complex and trying to rationalize their program envy through complaining about our fans. Working with many, many MSU grads, I get to see it first hand every day.

Actually it's probably only about 40%. The rest are too apathetic anymore :p

GolfingGriz
December 10th, 2009, 01:48 AM

Maybe Ash should consider one of the McDonalds. He's clearly overmatched in his current position.

What recruiting is like for him right now...
Ash: "We would really like to get a solid verbal from you!"
Recruit X "I don't really care about your program, I'm just waiting for the Griz to finish their season so I can talk to Bobby."

Grizaholic17
December 10th, 2009, 02:14 AM
In response to the Bandwagon comment, I believe almost 3/4 of that stadium have had season tickets since maybe 1998! That is hardly being a band wagon fan.

09griz
December 10th, 2009, 03:41 AM
the other semi post sucks by the way. 697 to 182. Non CAA wins big.

09griz
December 10th, 2009, 03:44 AM
Then we won't get to travel to our second home.

Monty rides a Harley. xcoffeex

09griz
December 10th, 2009, 03:48 AM
But it sure was quiet for a long, long, long, time...................................

Hell, I'm not knocking the griz, it was a helluva comeback against a team that forgot they had to play the last 20 minutes. As a pretty good tailgater myself, I do have to admit that after the half the griz fans dribbled in and were there to make noise after SDSU failed to show up.

I hate to rail on SDSU, but blowing that lead (twice) was flat ass pathetic.xnodx

root for your state boys or don't. there isn't a griz fan that talks as much nonsense about the cats as you do about the griz. For shame. Go talk trash on a cats' forum. Somebody might care there. the trouble is that you don't even care about an APP win, you just want to talk trash. There is a section for that. GO TO IT.

asucrutch23
December 10th, 2009, 06:17 AM
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q76/wastjer/grizstadium_from_above-WEB-2.jpg

One of my only regrets in taking 4.5 years to graduate (do so this Sunday) is now that I won't be able to be there for that!! Unfortunately, this time I'll have to settle for a big screen and a comfy couch. No question about it, App and Montana are something special when it comes to FCS football atmosphere!xthumbsupxxthumbsupx

At least I can count on '12 and '13 to see the Griz again. Here's to plenty of future meetings between the Griz' and 'Neers and a heck of a game this Saturday! xbeerchugx

Now... back to Real Estate, Risk Management, and Commercial Insurance...:(xlolx:(

Mountaineer#96
December 10th, 2009, 06:29 AM
Hopefully we don't talk FBS transfers the whole time.....anyone know who will call this game on ESPN......hopefully not that female from the 2007 semifinals....;(

asknoquarter21
December 10th, 2009, 07:27 AM
One of my only regrets in taking 4.5 years to graduate (do so this Sunday) is now that I won't be able to be there for that!! Unfortunately, this time I'll have to settle for a big screen and a comfy couch. No question about it, App and Montana are something special when it comes to FCS football atmosphere!xthumbsupxxthumbsupx

At least I can count on '12 and '13 to see the Griz again. Here's to plenty of future meetings between the Griz' and 'Neers and a heck of a game this Saturday! xbeerchugx

Now... back to Real Estate, Risk Management, and Commercial Insurance...:(xlolx:(

You don't have to walk across the stage.

Good luck on your exams.

asucrutch23
December 10th, 2009, 07:34 AM
You don't have to walk across the stage.

Good luck on your exams.

You do when your family has paid for your education and have made travel plans to get to the high country this weekend. Trust me, I have my priorities straight xlolxxlolx

asknoquarter21
December 10th, 2009, 07:38 AM
You do when your family has paid for your education and have made travel plans to get to the high country this weekend. Trust me, I have my priorities straight xlolxxlolx

Good point, I had to walk for the same reasons, but in May I didn't have a game to contend with.

Now if your graduation was Saturday evening I would have to think differently.

ASUG8
December 10th, 2009, 08:12 AM
And as for the weather thing---it's just an absolutely known fact. Southern folks absolutely hate the cold and arent' adept at dealing with it. There is a reason Montana has lost only once (or twice) to a team South of the Mason Dixon line in the play-offs.

Wofford is in South Carolina, and we know how that worked out. xsmiley_wix

Poker Alan
December 10th, 2009, 08:19 AM
Probably 70-80% of griz fans are of the bandwagon type, and if ASU puts up a good lead they'll vacate.

So, which is it, GOKATS? Do we vacate, or just get quiet? Really, you want to pick a battle here? Get real ... your apathetic fan base wouldn't know what 80% capacity is in your stadium, unless the Griz are in town.

AppIAA
December 10th, 2009, 08:23 AM
Is it loud and cold in Bozeman too?

Ronbo
December 10th, 2009, 08:29 AM
It will be loud and cold but does anyone really believe Montana stands a chance. I mean the App. State players are stating that they are superior athletes with much more speed and skill. Let's be realistic this is like Montana playing Florida.

AppIAA
December 10th, 2009, 08:37 AM
I mean the App. State players are stating that they are superior athletes with much more speed and skill.

Link? Definitely not.. I don't think any knowledgeable App fan here is saying its going to be a blow out.. in fact, most of what I have read has been saying "Who ever gets the ball last"

ASUG8
December 10th, 2009, 08:38 AM
It will be loud and cold but does anyone really believe Montana stands a chance. I mean the App. State players are stating that they are superior athletes with much more speed and skill. Let's be realistic this is like Montana playing Florida.

I'd just like to hear a little about the Montana team instead of the cold and noise. I know your guys are probably a head taller than us, but no one is saying much about the stats on the team on here. We get it - you have great attendance - you have a loyal fanbase- Wa-Griz is loud - Montana is cold.

Let's talk about football. You guys are the #1 seed playing at home vs. #5. Discuss.

GunsAndGuitars
December 10th, 2009, 08:43 AM

I just want to know where I'm going to watch the game. I guess I'll see if the new place in town is worth going to (the one behind Hardee's) then if not, go to Parthenon and drink pitchers with whoever shows up (or by myself until somebody shows up).

Ronbo
December 10th, 2009, 08:43 AM
Linebacker Roman

"Maybe not the greatest athletes, but they get the job done. They're big up front, but usually we can take advantage of big guys with our speed, and we have good speed from our defensive line to our back seven so we should be good on that."

AppIAA
December 10th, 2009, 08:47 AM
Linebacker Roman

And where in that does it say they are far more superior athletes with more speed and skill?? It said they have speed so they should be good with having to deal with the big guys...

Ronbo
December 10th, 2009, 08:51 AM
And where in that does it say they are far more superior athletes with more speed and skill?? It said they have speed so they should be good with having to deal with the big guys...

Come on all we've heard all week is how unstoppable you'll be. 99% of App. State Nation believes they are superior athletes with more speed and skill. The only way to lose is if you choke.

AppIAA
December 10th, 2009, 08:53 AM
Come on all we've heard all week is how unstoppable you'll be. 99% of App. State Nation believes they are superior athletes with more speed and skill.

Umm, again, most of what I have seen is the App nation saying its going to be a close, good game.. you might want to re-read most of the posts

Actually, I am wrong, most of the posts have been about crowd noise and the cold.. very little about the actual game.

ASUG8
December 10th, 2009, 08:53 AM
Come on all we've heard all week is how unstoppable you'll be. 99% of App. State Nation believes they are superior athletes with more speed and skill.

And from what I've read we don't have a chance due to noise and cold. Enlighten us on what the guys on the field bring to the table, because that's kind of important stuff since we're undefeated against fans and weather - only football teams have beaten us.

HappyAppy13
December 10th, 2009, 08:55 AM
Come on all we've heard all week is how unstoppable you'll be. 99% of App. State Nation believes they are superior athletes with more speed and skill. The only way to lose is if you choke.

same with WA/Griz though....c'mon now

SpeedkingATL
December 10th, 2009, 08:56 AM
I'm surprised more of the Griz fans haven't talked about Andrew Selle. His stats look pretty impressive and he appears to be the type of QB that if given the time can deliver a very accurate ball. From that it appears that ASU needs to bring some heat or the Griz will move the ball via the airways. The ASU DBs are damn good but no DB can cover good receivers for very long if the QB has time. Selle's rushing stats aren't impressive but he looks pretty mobile from what little I've seen of him. Also do the Griz run many draw plays or wheel routes to the RBs?

Ronbo
December 10th, 2009, 08:57 AM
Come on don't you know why all the Griz fans are touting the stadium noise? It's because we know we have no answer for you on the football field and don't want to talk about matchups. We don't matchup.

ASUG8
December 10th, 2009, 09:00 AM
Come on don't you know why all the Griz fans are touting the stadium noise? It's because we know we have no answer for you on the football field and don't want to talk about matchups. We don't matchup.

What does this post add to the conversation?

ASU-Superman
December 10th, 2009, 09:03 AM
No argument there. xnodx

ASU is all about speed, spreads the field on offense, and has a defensive backfield that flies well to the ball. I'm just hoping for traction on Saturday and I don't think Montana has had to face an offense like ASU's. A tough schedule and post-season with games against ranked Richmond, Elon, and McNeese and FBS ECU should give us an edge.

No offense intended... we have lots of respect for Montana.

GunsAndGuitars
December 10th, 2009, 09:08 AM
And from what I've read we don't have a chance due to noise and cold. Enlighten us on what the guys on the field bring to the table, because that's kind of important stuff since we're undefeated against fans and weather - only football teams have beaten us.

xhurrayxxhurrayxxhurrayx

All things aside, cold and noise don't beat football teams. If the cold and noise win you a close football game, then you can't even say your team is better. Who cares about your play makers when the crowd and weather mean that he doesn't have to make a play because the other team will drop their pants and bend over due to the fear of the fans. Get it out of your system, I'll concede you have a sunken bowl in a canyon that amplifies noise, I'll concede that it's cold in Montana (the closest I've been is Michigan, but I raise cattle for a living and truck drivers from out west will tell you is a frozen hell in the winter). We've got it.

Let's talk football. I hear you have an RB but is it because he's a good RB or is it because you have an O-Line built out of Ogres? Same for the QB, same for WRs. Jabari Fletcher and friends HAVE to have a big game for us to be successful on D. Has Montana seen a lot of teams bring a corner in the blitz to avoid the Ogre-Line? I know somebody said something about the passing in the backfield and it's development this season, but I'm still curious as to what Montana has been up against this season.

The question of HOW or IF you see a way to stop Armanti Edwards has not been answered unless you consider people flying to the ball on defense. But man coverage leaves real estate for legs to move, zone coverage leaves holes. The dropping a D-lineman into coverage bothers me a bit but I think it can be handled as we SHOULD be a run first team this weekend.

Edit: http://vimeo.com/6782238 that's some intense video. Re-edit:Elevation found at 3:31 mark

Ronbo
December 10th, 2009, 09:11 AM
xhurrayxxhurrayxxhurrayx

All things aside, cold and noise don't beat football teams. If the cold and noise win you a close football game, then you can't even say your team is better. Who cares about your play makers when the crowd and weather mean that he doesn't have to make a play because the other team will drop their pants and bend over due to the fear of the fans. Get it out of your system, I'll concede you have a sunken bowl in a canyon that amplifies noise, I'll concede that it's cold in Montana (the closest I've been is Michigan, but I raise cattle for a living and truck drivers from out west will tell you is a frozen hell in the winter). We've got it.

Let's talk football. I hear you have an RB but is it because he's a good RB or is it because you have an O-Line built out of Ogres? Same for the QB, same for WRs. Jabari Fletcher and friends HAVE to have a big game for us to be successful on D. Has Montana seen a lot of teams bring a corner in the blitz to avoid the Ogre-Line? I know somebody said something about the passing in the backfield and it's development this season, but I'm still curious as to what Montana has been up against this season.

The question of HOW or IF you see a way to stop Armanti Edwards has not been answered unless you consider people flying to the ball on defense. But man coverage leaves real estate for legs to move, zone coverage leaves holes. The dropping a D-lineman into coverage bothers me a bit but I think it can be handled as we SHOULD be a run first team this weekend.

Our running back is banged up. Went from 120 yards a game to only 40-50 since MSU. He won't be much of a factor.

GunsAndGuitars
December 10th, 2009, 09:15 AM
Our running back is banged up. Went from 120 yards a game to only 40-50 since MSU. He won't be much of a factor.

So he's still dinged up? Armanti was dinged up after Elon, but we're expecting him at 90% or above.

Ronbo
December 10th, 2009, 09:18 AM
So he's still dinged up? Armanti was dinged up after Elon, but we're expecting him at 90% or above.

Yes and we've had to ride the backup RB Fletcher hard the last two game and he goes out in the 3rd quarter against SFA with a separated shoulder.

paul1978
December 10th, 2009, 09:22 AM
You are correct; noise and cold weather do not win football games. They are used as an excuse for when you (App St) lose. Just saying.

:D

GunsAndGuitars
December 10th, 2009, 09:23 AM
Yes and we've had to ride the backup RB Fletcher hard the last two game and he goes out in the 3rd quarter against SFA with a separated shoulder.

So basically any pressure on the O-Line is basically pressure on the QB as you're not expecting a run game?

HappyAppy13
December 10th, 2009, 09:25 AM

i think thats one of the best things about our running game...we have multiple runners to use...Moore, Radford, Baker, Chisholm, & SUPERMAN!!
(we dont always use all of them obviously, but they are there if need be...and yes they do decline in talent, but are still decent backs)

CrackerRiley
December 10th, 2009, 09:28 AM
I just want to know where I'm going to watch the game. I guess I'll see if the new place in town is worth going to (the one behind Hardee's) then if not, go to Parthenon and drink pitchers with whoever shows up (or by myself until somebody shows up).

I would not recommend Town Tavern. If the place has a lot of people there and you don't get to choose where you want to sit you will likely get a seat with a bad viewing angle. I would hope that they choose to put all the TVs on the App game though. Last time I was there to watch a UNC bball game they had half of the TVs on some damn trivia game...

Ronbo
December 10th, 2009, 09:30 AM
Our only healthy RB is a true freshman Peter Nguyen. He's 5' nuthin', 1 hundred nuthin'.

grizzpaw
December 10th, 2009, 09:31 AM
this is what i know about this game.

1. i'm going to be at this gamexcoolx, (man has it been quiet this week in my housexsmhx) and i'm a north end zoner so i will be loud when asu has the ball, also when we score and quiet when asu scores and when montana has the ballxrolleyesx!

2. see above as to the "how much effect" i will have on the game!xcoffeex

Aho_Old_Guy
December 10th, 2009, 09:32 AM

Is manufacturing straw men a big industry in Montana ?

xcoffeex

Appinator
December 10th, 2009, 09:36 AM

I didn't see a full injury report in any of the posted game notes, are these things that are just under the radar injuries, or do you have a full listing?

GunsAndGuitars
December 10th, 2009, 09:37 AM
I would not recommend Town Tavern. If the place has a lot of people there and you don't get to choose where you want to sit you will likely get a seat with a bad viewing angle. I would hope that they choose to put all the TVs on the App game though. Last time I was there to watch a UNC bball game they had half of the TVs on some damn trivia game...

...Klondike will probably leave it up on the screen in the far room from the bar, but who knows how many people will show up there. Parthenon may be the same way though. But I don't know about anything on King Street that would have it. I really wouldn't mind being the only one in the bar (I usually am between classes).

HappyAppy13
December 10th, 2009, 09:38 AM
...Klondike will probably leave it up on the screen in the far room from the bar, but who knows how many people will show up there. Parthenon may be the same way though. But I don't know about anything on King Street that would have it. I really wouldn't mind being the only one in the bar (I usually am between classes).

will LEGENDS have it on, would you think??

grizzpaw
December 10th, 2009, 09:39 AM
our coach does not speak about player injuries (never has).

Ronbo
December 10th, 2009, 09:40 AM
I didn't see a full injury report in any of the posted game notes, are these things that are just under the radar injuries, or do you have a full listing?

Montana doesn't report injuries. We see the players in slings and on crutches at the games and that's how we find out.

GunsAndGuitars
December 10th, 2009, 09:41 AM
will LEGENDS have it on, would you think??

Who cares? Legends = 6 pack limit and you have to bring it from the store. Any other place = beer is already there.

HappyAppy13
December 10th, 2009, 09:42 AM
Montana doesn't report injuries. We see the players in slings and on crutches at the games and that's how we find out.

i thought you had to have an injury report??
maybe thats just NFL...idk

HappyAppy13
December 10th, 2009, 09:43 AM
Who cares? Legends = 6 pack limit and you have to bring it from the store. Any other place = beer is already there.

yea...idk. never been there.
just heard they showed some games

biggie
Nothing has been mentioned (formerly) of the Griz injuries and is beginning to have the sound of the sandbagging pre-McNeese St game.

asucrutch23

Fletcher had 5 carries against SDSU and 14 against SFA. Compare that to Reynolds' 14 and 18. xeyebrowx

CrackerRiley

I will probably be watching this from the comfort of my own place (or a friends) mainly because I cuss too much to be out in public. (I get lots of dirty looks when I'm at games) xwhistlex

asucrutch23
December 10th, 2009, 09:44 AM
Nothing has been mentioned (formerly) of the Griz injuries and is beginning to have the sound of the sandbagging pre-McNeese St game.

My sentiments exactly.

barechestcat
December 10th, 2009, 10:00 AM
I have been skimming through this thread. So, if my post has already been addressed, my apologies.

IMO, ASU will probably have an edge on speed but I don't believe it's going to be vast. When Montana State played ASU a couple of years ago, I didn't feel that was a difference maker in the game. I should qualify this as an overall team factor. Armanti is certainly a huge concern as a double threat. If I'm the defensive coordinator, I find a way to spy him with my most sure tackler and have that guy practice angles all week against the fastest kid on the team.

As to UM, my feeling on this team is that they aren't necessarily made up of a ton of stars. They have some (Mariani will flat out impress you Saturday) but what wins games for them is the fact that you HAVE to play balls out the entire game; all 60 minutes. The second you let up, that's when the take it to you because they don't. In so many games this season the game would be close through 2-3 quarters and I would be ribbing my Griz buddies about the game. Then all of a sudden the Griz would just take off. The team is extremely sound in the fundamentals of the game; they rarely do things to beat themselves. Their coaching staff seems to do an excellent job of in game adjustments and the players believe they are going to win no matter what (truly the win against SDSU comes down to the belief through tradition and the fact that SDSU's staff didn't keep the gas pedal hammered to the floor the whole game, i.e. play all 60 min.). Also, the difference between ones and twos for them is minimal so they tend to sub a lot during the game which leads to strong play at the end.

The second I saw this game matchup I had to laugh. I knew this thread would hit huge numbers because the fans for both have probably the biggest egos for their team as compared to every other FCS school. Not that that's bad xsmiley_wix.

I'll be cheering on the Griz this weekend (holy crap I can't believe I just said that).

asknoquarter21
December 10th, 2009, 10:02 AM
I am very excited about the game, but this thread gets worse every day.

Wa Griz is a great stadium and it will certainly have an impact on the game. I don't understand why it is so hard to talk about the matchups about the game.

Montana will have a size advantage and if they control the offensive line they will have no problem moving the ball.

ASU has an advantage in speed (whether it bothers you that an ASU player stated this or not doesn't matter, it is true) If we successfully spread out the Montana D and take advantage of 1 on 1 matchups we will move the ball.

The scoreboard should show the number of turnovers and stops the Defenses make because that will be the differnce in the game.

Just to clear it up.

Wa Griz is a huge advantage and is unlike anything we have seen since LSU. Montana is cold, but clearly some of you have no idea where Boone is located if you think the weather will bother ASU.

Montana has a size advantage, ASU has a speed advantage

Can we please stop going on about these things that we already know.

Appinator
December 10th, 2009, 10:03 AM

That's kind of what I was leaning towards too. If Reynolds is healthy and they can get their ground game going, it will be a tough day. A great back coming out of the backfield who can catch the swing pass and run the screen well has been out D's Kryptonite.

425defense
December 10th, 2009, 10:04 AM
Thanks for the game info. Good luck App State.

Grrrrriz
December 10th, 2009, 10:06 AM
So basically any pressure on the O-Line is basically pressure on the QB as you're not expecting a run game?

No, Ronbo sorta jumped the gun on this, he hasn't been banged up really, but everyone we have played has been stacking the box with the specific intention of stopping Chase Reynolds. We still rushed for 150 yards last game. But, the defenses have been designed to stop Chase, so we have just been passing all over teams. We are really good at both.

And yes, we have dealt with the corner blitz quite a bit this year, but we still don't give up many sacks.

Grrrrriz
December 10th, 2009, 10:08 AM
That's kind of what I was leaning towards too. If Reynolds is healthy and they can get their ground game going, it will be a tough day. A great back coming out of the backfield who can catch the swing pass and run the screen well has been out D's Kryptonite.

He can do that fine, in fact the screen pass has been working really well for us lately. His offensive production hasn't had really to much to do with any injury, we just have been going up against defenses that have been designed to stop Chase, and when that happens we just pass all over them.

CrackerRiley
December 10th, 2009, 10:11 AM
No, Ronbo sorta jumped the gun on this, he hasn't been banged up really, but everyone we have played has been stacking the box with the specific intention of stopping Chase Reynolds. We still rushed for 150 yards last game. But, the defenses have been designed to stop Chase, so we have just been passing all over teams. We are really good at both.

And yes, we have dealt with the corner blitz quite a bit this year, but we still don't give up many sacks.

ASU very rarely blitzes and our front four has had trouble pressuring the QB all year. Griz will have an advantage here.

FCS Go!
December 10th, 2009, 10:13 AM
...Can we please stop going on about these things that we already know.

Unless we're going to discuss specific plays, schemes, formations and so on we are done. Haven't you noticed that all threads on any CFB board are short on specifics and tall on hot air? This thread would have been over after a dozen posts otherwise.

CrackerRiley
December 10th, 2009, 10:15 AM
ASU will want to spread the field with screen passes early and often. How will the Griz D handle this?

biggie
December 10th, 2009, 10:25 AM
ASU will want to spread the field with screen passes early and often. How will the Griz D handle this?
True, Richmond committed to stoping the WR screens, but it took our Offensive play calling 3 quarters to figure out the middle of the field and deep were open.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
December 10th, 2009, 10:27 AM

Reynolds was a receiver his freshman year so he can catch the ball pretty well. I think this is one area we should be using him more but haven't really.

Poker Alan
December 10th, 2009, 10:32 AM
ASU very rarely blitzes and our front four has had trouble pressuring the QB all year. Griz will have an advantage here.

Pardon my ignorance, but then, do you have a solid secondary? Lots of picks? If Selle (and, to a lesser extent, Roper) have time, they can deliver an accurate ball ... and Mariani has a habit of breaking free from coverage after a couple seconds ...

Grrrrriz
December 10th, 2009, 10:56 AM

The Griz D is pretty good at handling the screen. We will sometimes drop a d lineman back into coverage, to take away the flat and the screen. Last week it resulted in 2 of our D lineman getting INT's. We are pretty sound when it comes to assignments, and we swarm to the ball. I don't think we have really been burned on a screen all year.

Appinator
December 10th, 2009, 10:56 AM

To be honest, I hate the short WR screens we throw out there every once in a while. It seems that with how we tend to spread defenses out the entire game, any advantage that would be gained on the edge of the field is negated because they already have more defenders dedicated to the outside than normal. Both Coco and Cline haven't broken one of these plays for a big gain all year. I think that play can get us in trouble.

On the other had, screens to RB's seem to be far and few between these last few weeks. Might be because QBs can take a pretty good lick here and there, and with an already banged up Armanti, we have backed off on these.

biggie
December 10th, 2009, 11:17 AM
Pardon my ignorance, but then, do you have a solid secondary? Lots of picks? If Selle (and, to a lesser extent, Roper) have time, they can deliver an accurate ball ... and Mariani has a habit of breaking free from coverage after a couple seconds ...
Secondary is usually good against longer passes, the short stuff to the middle was open last week. Legree and McDuffie are very good safeties, anything hanging in the air has a chance of being picked.

The DL will be a question mark. Last week our speedy/smaller line had horrible footing in the mud and was for the most part useless for QB pressure. Hope that turns around this week. They need to be stronger against the run up the middle as well, streching and stopping runs to the outside hasn't been an issue.

appstate38
December 10th, 2009, 11:18 AM

I am not trying to compare our defensive front to that of Richmond from last year but the D-line has improved their play over the course of the season and especially lately. If memory serves me right, Richmond was able to get pressure with their front four by using their speed off the edge. I think as the game goes on that our front 4 will find ways to negate the UM size and have a good day.

Shellin
December 10th, 2009, 11:30 AM

We played pretty well against the WR screens last week against SFA, as another poster said, although in that game we didn't have to worry at all about a running game, much less one as dynamic as Edwards and Moore have been for App State. We've done a good job once we get into the red zone and have improved as the season went on but we're prone to playing very soft coverage at times (10 yards off the WRs) which has allowed some teams to move the ball rather effectively with quick tosses to their receivers.

asknoquarter21
December 10th, 2009, 11:58 AM
Brian Quick hasn't seen anything less than 8 yards all season, but you can't play Matt Cline 10 yards off the ball or he will have 20 catches....think Wes Welker

Grabholdofyosef
December 10th, 2009, 12:08 PM
JMU actually found it and posted it before the 2007 playoff game and you how that turned out : )

84Griz
December 10th, 2009, 12:17 PM
I am not trying to compare our defensive front to that of Richmond from last year but the D-line has improved their play over the course of the season and especially lately. If memory serves me right, Richmond was able to get pressure with their front four by using their speed off the edge. I think as the game goes on that our front 4 will find ways to negate the UM size and have a good day.

Our O-line has played much better this year. Last year we gave up 55 sacks in 16 games. So far this year we have given up 16 sacks in 13 games. The main reason for this is we got Chad Germer back as our O-line coach this year after he got let go with Joe Glenn's staff at Wyoming. They are much better in the fundementals and moving their feet and covering for each other.

In turn this allows the running backs to get out into the flat more often instead of pass blocking. Our guards and tackles are big but can move well. Most of them are ex-basketball players, and average 6-7 and 309 pounds. Our center is a little guy at 6-2, 282. Also, we have been throwing to the tight ends alot more this year, they are both 6-5, 250.

Hopefully Selle, our QB starts out hot and stay's that way. In the last 5 quarters since the start of the second half of the SDSU game he is like 38 of 55 for 522 yards and 6 TD's. I am not sure if he played at all in the 4th quarter against SFA. Those numbers also include 4 to 6 dropped passes against SFA that slowed down the first couple of offensive series (hopefully we are done with those).

You wil notice that these numbers for Selle all come after the Griz quit rotating the quarterbacks every 2 or 3 series. Up until then I think the QB rotation really hurt our offensive consistency. It really showed in the first half of SDSU game. On the two bad interceptions that Selle had he was throwing the ball before the receiver broke his route. Receiver broke out both times and Selle read in and threw it right to a defender. I think that is what happens when you are rotating QB's sometimes and having to split the practice time.

Go Griz. I am leaving Billings (340 miles east of Missoula) at 6 am Saturday and should be at our tailgate by 11 if the roads are good.

GunsAndGuitars
December 10th, 2009, 12:40 PM
I am leaving Billings (340 miles east of Missoula) at 6 am Saturday and should be at our tailgate by 11 if the roads are good.

I wish I could do the same thing. It's a 36 hour drive from here. Safe travels to you (and to all fans from all 4 teams left in this tournament). That can be a rough time of day.

jedmis10
December 10th, 2009, 12:56 PM
You are correct; noise and cold weather do not win football games. They are used as an excuse for when you (App St) lose. Just saying.

:D

That weed don't smoke itself. xnonox

bshgriz
December 10th, 2009, 01:07 PM
Go Griz. I am leaving Billings (340 miles east of Missoula) at 6 am Saturday and should be at our tailgate by 11 if the roads are good.
Wanna take me with? xconfusedx xsmiley_wix

GolfingGriz
December 10th, 2009, 01:21 PM
Brian Quick hasn't seen anything less than 8 yards all season, but you can't play Matt Cline 10 yards off the ball or he will have 20 catches....think Wes Welker

I think Trumaine Johnson will be matched up on Quick because he can negate some of his size advantage. Although if Quick can make some of those plays he made against Wofford last year, it won't matter who is on him.

Can't remember ever seeing Matt Cline play but if he works underneath he will likely get many passes thrown his way. Our D usually allows pass plays under seven yards and then relies on tackling and errant/tipped passes to get a pick or two. If Armanti is locked in this could spell trouble because senior quarterbacks can play very well in WaGriz if they just control what they can and let their skill positions make plays. Matt Nichols was deadly earlier this year and easily could have lead them to victory. Even Waggner from Northern Colorado played well, he just didn't have very good athletes at the skill positons.

84Griz
December 10th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Wanna take me with? xconfusedx xsmiley_wix

I've got room if you want to go but we are not coming back until Sunday so you would have to find a room. Unless of course you are female and really cutexsmiley_wix

GunsAndGuitars
December 10th, 2009, 01:43 PM
If Armanti is locked in this could spell trouble because senior quarterbacks can play very well in WaGriz if they just control what they can and let their skill positions make plays. Matt Nichols was deadly earlier this year and easily could have lead them to victory. Even Waggner from Northern Colorado played well, he just didn't have very good athletes at the skill positons.

EWU is a solid passing offense from what I can remember. Neither of those schools really seem to have the mobility at QB though. I know everybody keeps saying App fans don't believe AE can be stopped (and I will take my fellow fans' side) but Waggner had a 53 yard rushing game on 9 carries against Sacramento State (Edit: Only around 176 rushing yds for the season but a long rush of 66 yds). How well Armanti moves on the field determines how locked in he will be though. I'm anxious to see how this D-line coverage scheme works against the spread though. To my knowledge we haven't seen much of it in the past 4 years (somebody correct me if I'm wrong).

Another Edit: AE is 70% on target when passing this year.

jedmis10
December 10th, 2009, 02:06 PM
APP STATE

http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae326/jedmis10/grizzzz2.jpg

jedmis10
December 10th, 2009, 02:25 PM
How bout them Apps!

84Griz
December 10th, 2009, 02:42 PM
How bout them Apps!

I don't think you get to bring guns to the game though do you????

GunsAndGuitars
December 10th, 2009, 02:47 PM
I don't think you get to bring guns to the game though do you????

Armanti has a cannon attatched to his left shoulder. :p

Mountaineer#96
December 10th, 2009, 02:54 PM
How bout them Apps!

Nice spread........right on!

Daniel Boone strikes again!!
l
l
v

09griz
December 10th, 2009, 03:21 PM
How bout them Apps!

That is a black bear, no?

GunsAndGuitars
December 10th, 2009, 03:23 PM

It looks brown to me. As the black ones are black and not brown.

http://www.blackbearadventure.com/upload/images/360-ontario-black-bear.jpg

Maybe I should look closer though.

09griz
December 10th, 2009, 03:25 PM

you don't know what you are talking about.

Anyway, what did I do with that picture of a dude with a beard getting mauled by a grizzly bear?

Grizaholic17
December 10th, 2009, 03:27 PM

Black bears are both black and brown. Depends when you get them and where they are.

Skjellyfetti
December 10th, 2009, 03:28 PM

I think that's got to be a grizzly from the size/length of its claws.

Grizaholic17
December 10th, 2009, 03:31 PM

xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

Definitely not a grizzly bear.
1.) that's illegal
2.) not even close to big enough

paul1978
December 10th, 2009, 03:31 PM

Here, this will help you tell the differance. By the way It's a BLACK bear. xnodx

http://www.mountainnature.com/wildlife/Bears/BearID.htm

biggie
December 10th, 2009, 03:36 PM
Oh God, they might have shot this guy:

http://www.webwombat.com.au/entertainment/movies/images/supertroop1.JPG

Skjellyfetti
December 10th, 2009, 03:41 PM
Yosef needs to ride out in Washington Griz on a bear

http://i48.tinypic.com/2zic35y.jpg

paul1978
December 10th, 2009, 03:43 PM
Oh God, they might have shot this guy:

http://www.webwombat.com.au/entertainment/movies/images/supertroop1.JPG

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

The look on the guys face is great. The bear doesn't look to sure of what's going on.

gbhmt
December 10th, 2009, 04:04 PM
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

The look on the guys face is great. The bear doesn't look to sure of what's going on.

Actually it looks like the guy and the bear have the exact same expression. xlolx

GunsAndGuitars
December 10th, 2009, 04:24 PM
Here, this will help you tell the differance. By the way It's a BLACK bear. xnodx

http://www.mountainnature.com/wildlife/Bears/BearID.htm

To be honest, if it's not Rabbit, Squirrel, or Whitetail, I don't really care to hunt it anyway. Point taken, I was wrong about the type of bear.

Grizalltheway
December 10th, 2009, 04:38 PM
To be honest, if it's not Rabbit, Squirrel, or Whitetail, I don't really care to hunt it anyway. Point taken, I was wrong about the type of bear.

And by "hunt", you mean "run over and cook", right?

Grizalltheway
December 10th, 2009, 04:42 PM

THIS is a grizzly (and the fish is Armanti)

http://www.treehugger.com/grizzly-bear-eating-salmon-photo01.jpg

AppIAA
December 10th, 2009, 05:04 PM

If that fish is Armanti, then you need to post the picture after he makes the quick cut to the right ;)

Skjellyfetti
December 10th, 2009, 05:08 PM
If that fish is Armanti, then you need to post the picture after he makes the quick cut to the right ;)

Or the salmon bowls the bear over. :D

http://i385.photobucket.com/albums/oo294/mrskjellyfetti/sting1.gif?t=1260486462

BarefootApp
December 10th, 2009, 05:15 PM
App fans have a great tailgate experience planned Saturday.....big ol' heated tent, Montana food, fun beside the stadium. Great fans. Can't beat FCS football. I hope ESPN doesn't spend more time talking about that damn popularity contest (Heisman) than our game like the past several years. Go get 'em Apps!

Torgo
December 10th, 2009, 05:26 PM
App fans have a great tailgate experience planned Saturday.....big ol' heated tent, Montana food, fun beside the stadium. Great fans. Can't beat FCS football. I hope ESPN doesn't spend more time talking about that damn popularity contest (Heisman) than our game like the past several years. Go get 'em Apps!

Sounds like a blast. I love tailgates with themed food. xthumbsupx

Torgo
December 10th, 2009, 05:28 PM
Also, worth posting just because its so...terrible on so many levels...

Bears Playing Hockey (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0E7amE2xXw)

For what its worth, one of those bears killed its trainer a few weeks ago. Rightly so, in my opinion.

Ronbo
December 10th, 2009, 05:38 PM

If that's a Grizzly those guys are in real trouble. They are a protected species. That poach would cost them jail time and a huge fine.

Bronco
December 10th, 2009, 05:45 PM
Short Griz Video from the movie The Bear

Wish they would play things like this on Griz Vision before kickoff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6v2ydIkmII

B&G
December 10th, 2009, 05:50 PM
Also, worth posting just because its so...terrible on so many levels...

Bears Playing Hockey (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0E7amE2xXw)

For what its worth, one of those bears killed its trainer a few weeks ago. Rightly so, in my opinion.

I would watch this for three straight hours.

B&G
December 10th, 2009, 05:51 PM

And the river is made up of Montana fans' tears.

Skjellyfetti
December 10th, 2009, 06:33 PM
If that's a Grizzly those guys are in real trouble. They are a protected species. That poach would cost them jail time and a huge fine.

I think laws depend on location based on the population. I know you can hunt Grizzlies in Alaska... but it's incredibly expensive.

boonegoon
December 10th, 2009, 07:04 PM

When I lived in Montana a long time ago now. My ski school director shot a griz? or brown off his porch in Big Sky. Got into a huge stink. Funny as heck.

Grizalltheway
December 10th, 2009, 07:07 PM
Or the salmon bowls the bear over. :D

http://i385.photobucket.com/albums/oo294/mrskjellyfetti/sting1.gif?t=1260486462

That might work against GSU's D, but against Montana, not so much. xcoffeex

bigappfan10
December 10th, 2009, 07:10 PM
On Winston-Salem news, they did a huge segment on the game...interesting angle concerning playing Montana on the road...an assistant coach discussed the fact that SDSU is an excellent team that just started playing not to lose against Montana and it cost them the game. He commented that, because of App's youth, he would have worried about getting the team focused on playing SDSU in Boone as it may have created a "trap game". Home game against a lesser known opponent after a huge win. On the other hand, he said Montana had App's full and undivided attention and that practices this week have been "spirited".

WyomingGrizFan
December 10th, 2009, 07:11 PM
If I was a Mountaineer fan one thing I'd watch out for is how the Griz utilize their TE's. For the past two years they have been the pivot for the Griz offense. If the defense spends a Safety to help out the outside LB in coverage, especially over the middle, that leaves the Griz WRs on a one-and-one with the CBs. That's when Mariani can work his routes. Generally near good field position, which is anywheres from their own twenty yard line on, the Griz run an offense with two TEs: #87 Steve Pfahler, 6'5" 246 lbs and Dan Beaudin, 6' 5" 252 lbs. Both excellent blockers and above average receivers, sometimes occasionally brilliant. Sometimes they have an H-Back in the backfield, #49 Kevin Klaboe, 6' 2" 225 lbs that at times comes out and acts as a receiver as well, though sparingly this past year, but it is still an option to consider.

When the offense can go to their TEs time after time there's a couple thoughts in the back of the head for the Griz: this opens up Mariani and that leaves the OL five on five and open lanes for Chase Reynolds and Brooks-Fletcher; which has been good for the former for 30 carries for 241 yards or so for a career best. But it all revolves around the TE for the Griz. When it's third and five to eight or somewheres, watch out for the TE; a perfect situation for a first down. When it happens everything else opens up and the offense can average forty points on a typical day.

B&G
December 10th, 2009, 07:32 PM
Our LB's are fast enough to cover a TE without any worries. What I do worry about though is possible blown coverages and/or the extra yards your big TE's can get if they break that first tackle. App doesn't exactly see a lot of productive TE's aside from our own in practice. I just remember what SCSU's Octavious Darby was able to do vs us in the 2008 playoffs.

GreatAppSt
December 10th, 2009, 07:41 PM
And the river is made up of Montana fans' tears. And under the rocks are the words, damn!, look at 'em go!, there's always next year!, and a river runs through it, MONTANA.xthumbsupx

Appguy
December 10th, 2009, 08:04 PM
The Neers are officially in the air heading west.

I'll wish them safe travels, but they need to come home with the head of a bear, or not at all!

Skjellyfetti
December 10th, 2009, 08:05 PM
That might work against GSU's D, but against Montana, not so much. xcoffeex

Yeah, Montana is the best defense he has ever faced. The 104th best pass defense has him quivering in his cleats. ;)

Appguy
December 10th, 2009, 08:28 PM
Track the Neers flight to Montana -
http://www.flightstats.com/go/FlightStatus/flightStatusByFlight.do?id=178405897&airlineCode=SY&flightNumber=8627

ddmann
December 10th, 2009, 09:02 PM
Well let's see the flight is approximately at its halfway point right now. Knowing of AE"s issues with the "magic flying air machine" I predict he is in the head about right now. EIther puking the half quart of cheap whiskey he drank prior to liftoff. Or finishing off the last of it since its starting to wear off about now.

APP SHOOTER
December 10th, 2009, 09:09 PM
Whiskey huh not hardly. We have some of the finest moonshine you ever have laid your lips made in these hills of western NC:D

AppAlum2003
December 10th, 2009, 09:11 PM
Well let's see the flight is approximately at its halfway point right now. Knowing of AE"s issues with the "magic flying air machine" I predict he is in the head about right now. EIther puking the half quart of cheap whiskey he drank prior to liftoff. Or finishing off the last of it since its starting to wear off about now.

How classy... way to add to the conversation. xrolleyesx

APP SHOOTER
December 10th, 2009, 09:20 PM
41 hrs 39 min 05 sec
to kick offxcoffeex

uofmman1122
December 10th, 2009, 09:32 PM
Yeah, Montana is the best defense he has ever faced. The 104th best pass defense has him quivering in his cleats. ;)That 104th best pass defense held the #1 offense in FCS to 0 points and 5 interceptions, and they weren't #1 because of their running game.

I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'. xcoffeex :p

GreatAppSt
December 10th, 2009, 09:43 PM
UM is toastxthumbsupxxnodx

uofmman1122
December 10th, 2009, 09:53 PM
UM is toastyxthumbsupxxnodxWell, we have been heating up since SDSU. :D xlolx

Grizaholic17
December 10th, 2009, 09:57 PM
My excitement has built up even more...I didn't think it was possible. The lights are up, and Friday obligations are up tomorrow, and then it's the weekend. So excited

uofmman1122
December 10th, 2009, 10:58 PM
Stolen from eGriz:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Inx7WauHZiM&feature=player_embedded

xlolx

Appguy
December 10th, 2009, 11:13 PM
Everyone in Missoula get ready, the eagle has landed in your town.
Or maybe the Apps should get ready for the freezing cold since its 11 degrees with and without windchill and they're totally not used to that....oh wait its 5 degrees with windchill in Boone with 40mph winds

NEVERMIND xcoffeex

uofmman1122
December 10th, 2009, 11:24 PM
Or maybe the Apps should get ready for the freezing cold since its 11 degrees with and without windchill and they're totally not used to that....oh wait its 5 degrees with windchill in Boone with 40mph winds

NEVERMIND xcoffeexWeren't you guys practicing indoors recently?

FCS Go!
December 11th, 2009, 12:14 AM

NEVERMIND xcoffeex

Ah windchill... the delusion that allows Southerner's to pretend they have winter.

Grizaholic17
December 11th, 2009, 12:45 AM
Stolen from eGriz:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Inx7WauHZiM&feature=player_embedded

xlolx

I love our fans! haha. That is too great!

Skjellyfetti
December 11th, 2009, 12:48 AM
Ah windchill... the delusion that allows Southerner's to pretend they have winter.

Boone doesn't share a climate with the rest of the South.

Average December temperature in Missoula: 25 degrees
Average December temperature in Boone: 33 degrees

http://www.weather.com/outlook/recreation/golf/wxclimatology/monthly/28607
http://www.weather.com/outlook/health/airquality/wxclimatology/monthly/59801

What a huge difference!! Clearly Boone barely even has a Winter!!

Since we have the weather worked out. What is the atmosphere like in Washington Griz? Is it at all loud? Scale of 1-10, please.

crossfire07
December 11th, 2009, 01:16 AM
Our LB's are fast enough to cover a TE without any worries. What I do worry about though is possible blown coverages and/or the extra yards your big TE's can get if they break that first tackle. App doesn't exactly see a lot of productive TE's aside from our own in practice. I just remember what SCSU's Octavious Darby was able to do vs us in the 2008 playoffs.

Corday Clark.

09griz
December 11th, 2009, 03:21 AM
Boone doesn't share a climate with the rest of the South.

Average December temperature in Missoula: 25 degrees
Average December temperature in Boone: 33 degrees

http://www.weather.com/outlook/recreation/golf/wxclimatology/monthly/28607
http://www.weather.com/outlook/health/airquality/wxclimatology/monthly/59801

What a huge difference!! Clearly Boone barely even has a Winter!!

Since we have the weather worked out. What is the atmosphere like in Washington Griz? Is it at all loud? Scale of 1-10, please.

At it's loudest it is said to be like Qwest field. 9, I wanna say 9 at least for a game like this?

09griz
December 11th, 2009, 03:24 AM
UM is toastxthumbsupxxnodx

I like your attitude! APP is toast too!

(lets hope we don't jinx each other for the NC)...

09griz
December 11th, 2009, 03:30 AM

NEVERMIND xcoffeex

The only difference between Boone (KB) and Missoula (WA GRIZ) is about 500 feet and 8 degrees difference in average temp. The thing that makes this game great is the fact that the two best teams this decade play in an environment that they both recognize in spades. More maroon that black and gold, but looking at both teams, it's (hopefully given the implications of these two programs going head to head) going to be the most evenly matched game we have seen in a long time. You know both sides are going to fight for all they've got.

This is the game we wanted to see out of Elon and Montana State, we hope...

CamelCityAppFan
December 11th, 2009, 04:48 AM
This is the game we wanted to see out of Elon and Montana State, we hope...

Elon? What's this "Elon" thing that you refer too? I'm unfamiliar with that...

AppAlum2003
December 11th, 2009, 07:21 AM
I love how you guys are bragging about how cold it is...

Why, in your right mind, would you WANT it to be cold? There's a reason beaches are crowded every summer. Cold sucks.

Torgo
December 11th, 2009, 07:22 AM
I love how you guys are bragging about how cold it is...

Why, in your right mind, would you WANT it to be cold? There's a reason beaches are crowded every summer. Cold sucks.

I hate beaches with a passion. Some people just like cold weather.

AppState
December 11th, 2009, 07:55 AM
I hate beaches with a passion. Some people just like cold weather.

Fat people.

Like me.

fltheadgriz
December 11th, 2009, 08:00 AM
Not having watched App State that much this year, is AE the main QB for the whole game or does App State send in another QB for a series to rest AE or every once in a while to run any type of Wildcat Offense to mix things up?

AppChicago
December 11th, 2009, 08:04 AM
Not having watched App State that much this year, is AE the main QB for the whole game or does App State send in another QB for a series to rest AE or every once in a while to run any type of Wildcat Offense to mix things up?

Typically, Runnin' Armanti is relieved by Throwin' Armanti, and vice-versa. A problem we've encountered in some games is that BOTH Armantis have a tendency to lead the offense to a very quick score, leaving a ton of field-time to our defense.

CamelCityAppFan
December 11th, 2009, 08:31 AM
Typically, Runnin' Armanti is relieved by Throwin' Armanti, and vice-versa. A problem we've encountered in some games is that BOTH Armantis have a tendency to lead the offense to a very quick score, leaving a ton of field-time to our defense.

Yeah, the real trouble for the opposing Defense is when Runnin' Armanti and Throwin' Armanti show up on the same play...

AppIAA
December 11th, 2009, 08:49 AM
Yeah, the real trouble for the opposing Defense is when Runnin' Armanti and Throwin' Armanti show up on the same play...

But that surely wont happen against the 104th best passing defense that was HANDED 4 interceptions last week to the number 1 offense... that has very little rushing attack

They obviously don't realize App had the #1 offense, and it's a very balanced attack, before AE got hurt...

Planning against a passing attack is MUCH different than planning against a balanced attack. Against SFA, they were able to drop 8 into coverage. You do that to AE, and either he or Moore will take off on 6+ yard runs every time. You stack the box, and AE's 73% passing efficiency will take over.. Much different game..

Not saying App will have it easily. Montana is an EXCELLENT team and its going to be a battle -- last team who has the ball....

Appguy
December 11th, 2009, 08:52 AM

We have thrown Travaris Cadet in a couple times to give Armanti a break but Armanti will almost always be there. I think the situation you guys have at QB seems more untraditional? What decides which Griz QB goes in? Most of what we run is Wilcat'ish so its not really "mixing it up"

theasushow
December 11th, 2009, 09:26 AM
ALERT: David Jackson (the voice of ASU) just updated his facebook status to-
"In Missoula..it was easily colder in Boone yesterday AM than it is here right now."

AppIAA
December 11th, 2009, 09:28 AM
"In Missoula..it was easily colder in Boone yesterday AM than it is here right now."

But I thought it was really cold there??

Surprised you were able to see that facebook status update with how loud it is in Missoula.. hopefully we'll be able to hear DJ tomorrow..

AppAlum2003
December 11th, 2009, 09:37 AM

Did he mention how loud it was? :D

paul1978
December 11th, 2009, 09:42 AM
I'm sure glad the App St fans keep on talking about how cold and load it's going to be. Am I sensing fear.

xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Now you have something else to talk about. xrotatehx :D

theasushow
December 11th, 2009, 09:45 AM
I'm sure glad the App St fans keep on talking about how cold and load it's going to be. Am I sensing fear.

yeah...such a "load". xeyebrowx

AppChicago
December 11th, 2009, 09:48 AM

I can't speak for everyone, but what I'M feeling, as an App fan is close to fear, sure. Not fear like a dread of a certain doom. Just fear like the nervousness associated with facing a worthy adversary on their home turf.

If there's an App fan here that treats this game like it'll be a slam dunk for either team, that person knows nothing about these programs, the playoffs, or football.

So yeah. This game has me wriggling in my tighty whities a little. Truth is, if it doesn't have you sweating just a little, you probably aren't paying attention either. ;)

AppIAA
December 11th, 2009, 09:49 AM

Actually, I think we're just mocking the Griz fans because apparently it's colder than anything Boone has ever been to AND louder than anything else in the country.. no fear here! just mocking..

Its going to be a great game

Esko
December 11th, 2009, 09:54 AM

i believe its called sarcasm.....given thats the only stuff most Griz fans have been discussing through all 85 pages of this thread.

Go App!!!

AppAlum2003
December 11th, 2009, 09:55 AM

Your remarks are very cold and calculated... not as loud, but very cold.

theasushow
December 11th, 2009, 09:56 AM
I can't speak for everyone, but what I'M feeling, as an App fan is close to fear, sure. Not fear like a dread of a certain doom. Just fear like the nervousness associated with facing a worthy adversary on their home turf.

If there's an App fan here that treats this game like it'll be a slam dunk for either team, that person knows nothing about these programs, the playoffs, or football.

So yeah. This game has me wriggling in my tighty whities a little. Truth is, if it doesn't have you sweating just a little, you probably aren't paying attention either. ;)

EXACTLY. the people that have no control over the outcome are always more nervous and "fearful". i guarantee the players are pumped, and have absolutely no fear. besides, who cares if we are fearful???? we arent on the field!

Aho_Old_Guy
December 11th, 2009, 10:03 AM

Don't know what it's like down in Boone this AM but we've got some good football weather up here off Junaluska ...

http://booneweather.com/images/cache/weather_graphics/9/wind_graph.jpg

Now that the wind has settled down xeekx

paul1978
December 11th, 2009, 10:04 AM
EXACTLY. the people that have no control over the outcome are always more nervous and "fearful". i guarantee the players are pumped, and have absolutely no fear. besides, who cares if we are fearful???? we arent on the field!

Well said AppChcago and theasushow. I believe that is what most of the sane fans are feeling. And yes Esko, it is sarcasm and rightly so. Just as too may Griz fans talk about the weather and noise so do too many App St fans.

Lets move on to bigger and better things like what a great game this is going to be. xnodx

Poker Alan
December 11th, 2009, 10:06 AM
I am so pumped for this game, should be an epic -- anyone have an idea how many Appy fans may make the trip?

AppIAA
December 11th, 2009, 10:08 AM
I am so pumped for this game, should be an epic -- anyone have an idea how many Appy fans may make the trip?

Last I heard was around 1000... I think thats a pretty high mark, but I hope its that many

Poker Alan
December 11th, 2009, 10:09 AM
Last I heard was around 1000... I think thats a pretty high mark, but I hope its that many

That would be impressive, given the circumstances

paul1978
December 11th, 2009, 10:10 AM

It will be great to se a high number of App St fans at the game. All the more fun.

AppIAA
December 11th, 2009, 10:11 AM
It will be great to se a high number of App St fans at the game. All the more fun.

My guess is its going to be closer to 500.. maybe they can add to the noise xrotatehxxrotatehx

theasushow
December 11th, 2009, 10:14 AM
If i remember correctly (and i may not b/c i was drunk as hell) Eastern Washington had around 200-300 when they came to Boone in 2007. It's just hard for people to travel that far on such short notice. How many did wofford bring to UM?

CrackerRiley
December 11th, 2009, 10:15 AM
Getting pumped. One more day!
I'm not even nervous for this presentation I have in about 45 mins, just this game...

Rekdiver
December 11th, 2009, 10:23 AM
I have control....I have sacrificed 3 chickens and made appropriate overtures to
Wachabe and Ursus Arctos Horribilis. I have a doll of a Griz player (Mariani) with a bunch of pins stuck in him.. Nothing bad just extreme lower GI discomfort resulting in a decided duck-like walk.........Just to be fair, H1N1 for fans resulting in loss of voice........

I wish I could hate the Griz but I can't. That's not a problem for the liberal elite of the CAA however...........xazzxxazzxxazzxxazzxxazzxxazzxxa zzx

theasushow
December 11th, 2009, 11:46 AM
this thread was getting a little low (like almost off page 1!xeekx) on the thread homepage...thought i would bring it back closer to the top.

Green26
December 11th, 2009, 11:48 AM

What was the inside temp when the team practiced indoors? Was the team concerned about going outside?

Silenoz
December 11th, 2009, 11:54 AM
Its relatively warm over on the other side of the pass today, thank God. If it's like this tomorrow for the game, people have no excuse for staying home because of the cold.

AppIAA
December 11th, 2009, 11:56 AM
What was the inside temp when the team practiced indoors? Was the team concerned about going outside?

Nope, they only practiced inside when it was raining.. not when it was cold..

Thanks, come again

AppAlum2003
December 11th, 2009, 12:04 PM

Why, is it supposed to be cold tomorrow?

Green26
December 11th, 2009, 12:04 PM
But that surely wont happen against the 104th best passing defense that was HANDED 4 interceptions last week to the number 1 offense... that has very little rushing attack

They obviously don't realize App had the #1 offense, and it's a very balanced attack, before AE got hurt...

Not saying App will have it easily. Montana is an EXCELLENT team and its going to be a battle -- last team who has the ball....

Montana shut out the no. 1 scoring team and passing team last weekend. Montana wasn't "handed" any interceptions. All 4 were terrific interceptions. The one by Schillinger was NFL quality, both in terms of getting to the ball and making the catch. The other interception by a safety was a nice read and play. The two interceptions by d-tackles were scheme interceptions. The SFA qb said he was not expecting the d-tackles to drop into coverage and he was unable to see them because he is short, i.e. 6 feet. Seems that Edwards might have the same problem.

Montana played against the nos. 1, 3, 5, 8, 12, 19, 31, 32, 42, 45 and 56th best passing offenses this season (and practiced against the no. 14 one).

App St played against the nos. 6, 24, 28, 37, 38, 40, 57, 61, 76, 91 and 117th best passing offenses.

uofmman1122
December 11th, 2009, 12:05 PM
We're gonna take off in about two hours from Billings.

God, I can't wait for tomorrow! I'll be rockin' in the North End Zone for the first time since 2004! (Been in the student section for the last few years.)

Win or lose, this is going to be one hell of a game! xthumbsupx

AppIAA
December 11th, 2009, 12:11 PM
Montana played against the nos. 1, 3, 5, 8, 12, 19, 31, 32, 42, 45 and 56th best passing offenses this season (and practiced against the no. 14 one).

App St played against the nos. 6, 24, 28, 37, 38, 40, 57, 61, 76, 91 and 117th best passing offenses.

Thanks for helping prove my case....

Again, App is a BALANCED attack.. Please, pretty please, tell your players to just play defense against the pass and drop linemen into coverage. That would be a very early Christmas present for App fans if you do that..

And looking over the replay, only one of those interceptions was caused (the "NFL" caliber one you pointed out). All the others were horrible throws by the QB..

Regardless, its going to be a great game by two great teams

GunsAndGuitars
December 11th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Thanks for helping prove my case....

Again, App is a BALANCED attack.. Please, pretty please, tell your players to just play defense against the pass and drop linemen into coverage. That would be a very early Christmas present for App fans if you do that..

And looking over the replay, only one of those interceptions was caused (the "NFL" caliber one you pointed out). All the others were horrible throws by the QB..

Regardless, its going to be a great game by two great teams

I'm just waiting for the D-line to drop back into coverage to see how our offense reacts...because our QB doesn't HAVE to throw the ball. SFA's QB wasn't going to get very far on his feet. 37 yards all season.

Grizaholic17
December 11th, 2009, 12:45 PM
Has App had their practice at Wa/Griz yet? I went by and only the beer stockers were there along with what seemed to be ESPN people. I want to see if I can catch a glimpse of AE in practice

biggie
December 11th, 2009, 01:02 PM
Has App had their practice at Wa/Griz yet? I went by and only the beer stockers were there along with what seemed to be ESPN people. I want to see if I can catch a glimpse of AE in practice
Supposed to be this afternoon sometime. They had another final exam session for some players this morning.

Aho_Old_Guy
December 11th, 2009, 01:08 PM
Colt McCoy (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/stats?playerId=175772)
2009 Maxwell Award (Nation's Best All-Around Player)
2009 O'Brien Award (Nation's Best Quarterback)

- will graduate this December after 4 1/2 years

Total Offense per Game: 297 yards
Touchdowns: 30
QB Rating: 147.46
Yards per Completion: 7.5
Interceptions: 12

Career Total Offense - 52 games: 14,833 yards
Career Touchdowns: 132

Armanti Edwards (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/stats?playerId=190009)

- will graduate this Sunday after 3 1/2 years (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/423/story/1117358.html)

Total Offense per Game: 324 yards
QB Rating: 155.37
Yards per Completion: 9.1
Interceptions: 6

Career Total Offense - 50 games (48 as starter): 14,326 yards
Career Touchdowns: 139

AppIAA
December 11th, 2009, 01:14 PM
Colt McCoy (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/stats?playerId=175772)
2009 Maxwell Award (Nation's Best All-Around Player)
2009 O'Brien Award (Nation's Best Quarterback)

- will graduate this December after 4 1/2 years

Total Offense per Game: 297 yards
QB Rating: 147.46
Yards per Completion: 7.5
Interceptions: 12

Career Total Offense - 52 games: 14,833 yards
Career Touchdowns: 132

Armanti Edwards (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/stats?playerId=190009)

- will graduate this Sunday after 3 1/2 years (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/423/story/1117358.html)

Total Offense per Game: 324 yards
QB Rating: 155.37
Yards per Completion: 9.1
Interceptions: 6

Career Total Offense - 50 games (48 as starter): 14,326 yards
Career Touchdowns: 139

But I bet Colt has never played in the cold or at a loud stadium!

Skjellyfetti
December 11th, 2009, 01:16 PM
And before people jump in and say Armanti was playing weak competition. Here's another good comparison:

2007 vs. Michigan:
Armanti Edwards- 17/23 passing for 227 yards 3 touchdowns, 17 rushes for 62 yards and a touchdown
Tim Tebow- 17/33 for 154 yards and 3 touchdowns, 57 rushing yards and a touchdown

2008 vs. LSU
Armanti Edwards- 13/31 passing for 151 yards and 1 touchdown, 23 yards rushing
Tim Tebow- 14/21 passing for 221 yards and 2 touchdowns, 22 yards rushing and a touchdown

Pretty comparable.

Grizaholic17
December 11th, 2009, 01:18 PM
Supposed to be this afternoon sometime. They had another final exam session for some players this morning.

I thought they had a finals session after their practice. Guess I was wrong. mmm

Grrrrriz
December 11th, 2009, 01:18 PM
But I bet Colt has never played in the cold or at a loud stadium!

If you guys want to quit talking about it, quit bringing it up...and then saying "can we please just talk about the game" We get it, you have a good QB, too bad his last college game is tomorrow. I will give him a standing ovation at the end of the game for you guys.

Grizaholic17
December 11th, 2009, 01:20 PM
And before people jump in and say Armanti was playing weak competition. Here's another good comparison:

2007 vs. Michigan:
Armanti Edwards- 17/23 passing for 227 yards 3 touchdowns, 17 rushes for 62 yards and a touchdown
Tim Tebow- 17/33 for 154 yards and 3 touchdowns, 57 rushing yards and a touchdown

2008 vs. LSU
Tim Tebow- 14/21 passing for 221 yards and 2 touchdowns, 22 yards rushing and a touchdown

Pretty comparable.

Please don't compare these two...haha.

I see where you're coming from...but it seems sort of ridiculous

CrackerRiley
December 11th, 2009, 01:24 PM
If you guys want to quit talking about it, quit bringing it up...and then saying "can we please just talk about the game" We get it, you have a good QB, too bad his last college game is tomorrow. I will give him a standing ovation at the end of the game for you guys.

All we know is plenty of people are going to be eating some of this after the weekend:

http://blogtown.portlandmercury.com/images/blogimages/2009/04/24/1240605367-eating_crow.jpg

And if there is room:

http://www.culinaryartsblog.com/images/Pie_01.JPG

I just hope it's not us xnodxxwhistlex

BearIt
December 11th, 2009, 01:26 PM

2007 vs. Michigan:

2008 vs. LSU

Pretty comparable.

And their last game of the 2009 season will be "pretty comparable" as well.xlolx

Rekdiver
December 11th, 2009, 01:27 PM
Hey Grrriz

I don't think you'll be standing at the end of the game. You either be on your way home or sitting with your head buried in your hands wondering what the heck hit you.......

Grrrrriz
December 11th, 2009, 01:28 PM
Whats that quarterback from App States name again? I heard he was pretty good at football. Didn't he have a big win over Ball State or something a couple years back?

Grrrrriz
December 11th, 2009, 01:29 PM
Hey Grrriz

I don't think you'll be standing at the end of the game. You either be on your way home or sitting with your head buried in your hands wondering what the heck hit you.......

Nope...l will be standing in my seat in WA-Griz stadium...celebrating a Griz victory while the App state fans weep from their couches in front of ESPN.

EDIT: But I am serious about giving AE a standing ovation. He deserves it.

AppIAA
December 11th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Whats that quarterback from App States name again? I heard he was pretty good at football. Didn't he have a big win over Ball State or something a couple years back?

No, no.. that was the mighty CAA who did that.. xrotatehx

CrackerRiley
December 11th, 2009, 01:31 PM
Inching closer to 1000 posts!

I mean for the thread, not me...

Skjellyfetti
December 11th, 2009, 01:32 PM
And their last game of the 2009 season will be "pretty comparable" as well.xlolx

His game against Cincinatti in January? Yeah, I'd expect Florida to light them up as well. xnodx;)

Grizaholic17
December 11th, 2009, 01:35 PM
I feel like the post about "eating humble pie" is sort of dumb. I am very humble about our chances and feel that this game can go either way. I will come on AGS and praise the App fans for their win if that so happens, I just hope you extend the same respect and congratulate the Griz for a great game...we all know this won't happen though.

09griz
The Neers are officially in the air heading west.

I'll wish them safe travels, but they need to come home with the head of a bear, or not at all!

Did they bring that boulder with them? We'll be needing it when you guys leave. Don't worry, we'll bring it back in 2012.

Grrrrriz
No, no.. that was the mighty CAA who did that.. xrotatehx

No, you are right...it was a big win over Central Michigan you guys had in 2007.xpeacexxthumbsupx

gbhmt
December 11th, 2009, 01:36 PM
No, you are right...it was a big win over Central Michigan you guys had in 2007.xpeacexxthumbsupx

The funny thing is that Central Michigan is actually better than Michigan this year.

AppIAA
December 11th, 2009, 01:38 PM

Central Michigan, Michigan, LSU, ECU > Western State xpeacexxthumbsupx

uofmman1122
December 11th, 2009, 01:38 PM
I feel like the post about "eating humble pie" is sort of dumb. I am very humble about our chances and feel that this game can go either way. I will come on AGS and praise the App fans for their win if that so happens, I just hope you extend the same respect and congratulate the Griz for a great game...we all know this won't happen though.Exactly.

Even though I haven't been entirely successful, I've tried not to talk very much smack. It might take a little while after the game, since I won't have a computer in Missoula, but I'll be back on here as soon as I get back to Billings giving ASU their props if we lose, and cheering them on in Chatty.

I hope most App fans will do the same if we win. xthumbsupx

CrackerRiley
December 11th, 2009, 01:39 PM
I feel like the post about "eating humble pie" is sort of dumb. I am very humble about our chances and feel that this game can go either way. I will come on AGS and praise the App fans for their win if that so happens, I just hope you extend the same respect and congratulate the Griz for a great game...we all know this won't happen though.

Oh no, of course not. We don't practice our humility around these parts... xnonono2x
;)

AppIAA
December 11th, 2009, 01:40 PM

I most definitely will.. in fact, I will be in Chatty cheering against the CAA whoever wins our game

ASUG8
December 11th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Exactly.

Even though I haven't been entirely successful, I've tried not to talk very much smack. It might take a little while after the game, since I won't have a computer in Missoula, but I'll be back on here as soon as I get back to Billings giving ASU their props if we lose, and cheering them on in Chatty.

It's easy for all of us to get caught up in this game - it's been talked about for years, and everybody's pretty amped about getting it started. I like UM, I like the rivalry, and I truthfully think it will be a good game. I don't think I've made any predictions on this one, just that there is a 100% chance of football in Missoula tomorrow. If UM takes us down, I'm a Griz fan for the NC. xthumbsupx

uofmman1122
December 11th, 2009, 01:42 PM
Why don't we all drop the cold, crowd noise, speed, who said what, etc., and just focus on how much all of us can come together around the fact that we all hate the CAA?

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

AppIAA
December 11th, 2009, 01:43 PM
Why don't we all drop the cold, crowd noise, speed, who said what, etc., and just focus on how much all of us can come together around the fact that we all hate the CAA?

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Thats too easy.. everyone hates the CAA

GrizFanStuckInUtah
December 11th, 2009, 01:46 PM

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

So that leaves us idiot fans with exactly what to talk about? xlolxxpeacex