PDA

View Full Version : McCown's Days Nearing End with Cards

TexasTerror
December 22nd, 2005, 10:07 AM
From the AP. Funny how Green wants more and McCown is 8-9 as a starter these last two years compared to 2-11 when anyone else at the helm. Is he that blind to what he has? I bet teams jump over McCown. He would be a very qualified backup QB, that's for sure and could easily step in...

BOB BAUM
Associated Press

TEMPE, Ariz. - Josh McCown's up-and-down career with the Arizona Cardinals is almost certainly nearing an end, and it looks as if he will go out as a starter.

With Kurt Warner out with a season-ending knee injury, McCown will back at quarterback against the Philadelphia Eagles on Saturday in the Cardinals' final home game of the season.

At least publicly, McCown won't say he is finished with the Cardinals when he becomes an unrestricted free agent after this season. But after losing the starting job three times in two seasons under coach Dennis Green, he understands his best opportunities probably lie elsewhere.

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/football/nfl/san_francisco_49ers/13459676.htm

grizband
December 22nd, 2005, 11:52 AM
I agree. While McCown will probably never be a premier starter in the NFL, he could be a very serviceable backup somewhere. Someone who can go in and "not lose a game," and make a spot start every once in a while.

Pards Rule
December 22nd, 2005, 02:06 PM
Ironically, my Eagles should be in the market for a good backup QB, unless McMahon shows he has some juice in the final few games. Koy-boy Detmer has been just dismal in his fill-ins and right now is charted third.

TexasTerror
December 25th, 2005, 08:15 AM
McCown went out and led the Cards to a win against the Eagles...go figure!

JohnStOnge
December 25th, 2005, 08:34 AM
I think he's capable of being a starter if he goes to the right team. No quarterback who'd been with the Cardinals the last few years would have a sterling winning percentage.

Kurt Warner came very close to never seeing the light of day but turned out to be a pretty good starter in the right situation and was given a shot. Jake Delhome turned into a solid starter as well when he got into the right situation and was given a shot.