PDA

View Full Version : George Welsh, The New Head Coach At VMI?

JMU Duke Dog
December 22nd, 2005, 09:27 AM
http://www.roanoke.com/sports/college/wb/45503

Keydets a fit for Welsh?

By Doug Doughty
The Roanoke Times

Former Virginia football coach George Welsh, recently named to the College Football Hall of Fame, has spoken to VMI athletic director Donny White about the Keydets' football vacancy.

Welsh, who turned 72 this summer, has not coached since his final season at Virginia in 2000 but has said on several occasions that he would consider other coaching opportunities.

"I've had some informal conversations with the [VMI] athletic director," Welsh said Wednesday night from his Charlottesville home.

Welsh admitted that he has an interest in the job that came open when Cal McCombs was not retained after seven seasons.

"I think there's something going to be said by VMI in a couple more days," Welsh said before heading to New York for the weekend. "All I know is, they're going to make a decision in a couple of days."

Welsh wouldn't go so far as to say that decision might involve him.

"I think you said it right," he said.

Welsh discussed his coaching future in a phone interview this summer that coincided with Hall-of-Fame ceremonies.

"I guess you could say I'm flunking retirement," he said. "The last couple of years, I've looked into a couple [of opportunities] that seemed like a good fit for me, but it didn't work out. I think I'm going to give it a try again this year, whether it's NFL or I-A coaching in college. I would give it another shot."

Welsh is the winningest coach at both Navy and Virginia, where he coached from 1982-2000.

Go...gate
December 22nd, 2005, 10:44 AM
Welsh resurrected two absolutely dead programs, including one at a military academy (Annapolis). He knows first-hand the difficult time and work demands upon students at a military school, because he played at one. His players have respected and admired him. He knows his football (he learned it from another youngster, Joe Paterno). If they can get him, by all means, go for it.

catamount man
December 22nd, 2005, 05:53 PM
George Welsh could turn VMI into a winner and I for one would welcome them back to the SoCon in a second if they landed this guy. Talk about a high profile hire, if it happens. GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

89Hen
December 22nd, 2005, 07:00 PM
The game has sadly passed him by guys. :(

bigred
December 22nd, 2005, 08:16 PM
http://www.vmikeydets.com/article.asp?articleid=75036