PDA

View Full Version : SFA Players Partying in Missoula Tonight?

Green26
December 4th, 2009, 12:05 AM
See this link to egriz' facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/montanagrizzliesfans

See this link to egriz thread: http://www.egriz.com/grizboard/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=40910

Is this really the SFA starting qb and 8 other SFA players?

A bunch of SFA players were walking around downtown Missoula tonight--without coats and with only sweatshirt hoodies. Brrr.

gbhmt
December 4th, 2009, 12:52 AM
This is why Missoula is awesome. Not only will the fans go drink and have fun with opposing fans, we'll do it with opposing players! xrotatehx

uofmman1122
December 4th, 2009, 01:12 AM
Damn, that looks way fun.

Too bad I'm in Billings. xlolx

Torgo
December 4th, 2009, 05:27 AM
I would buy those guys a few dozen rounds of drinks xwhistlex

th0m
December 4th, 2009, 07:00 AM
That's just plain dumb and undisciplined.

Poker Alan
December 4th, 2009, 08:00 AM
If I had known, I would have joined the shenanigans...

fltheadgriz
December 4th, 2009, 08:01 AM
Wow oh wow
I thought that a team (especially in the playoffs) when travelling would be under the coaches thumb so they wouldn't do this type of thing.
Not that going to bars is wrong, but when you are there to play a crucial game in the playoffs, that would be the first thing on my mind, not going to a bar
As th0m said it is just plain dumb and undisciplined.
Might be the excuse though when they lose to the Grizz

griz8791
December 4th, 2009, 08:03 AM
That's just plain dumb and undisciplined.

On Thursday night, if they keep it under control?

I think it shows they are relaxed and confident, but I never played organized football and would like to know what the experts think.

caribbeanhen
December 4th, 2009, 08:06 AM
Wow oh wow
I thought that a team (especially in the playoffs) when travelling would be under the coaches thumb so they wouldn't do this type of thing.
Not that going to bars is wrong, but when you are there to play a crucial game in the playoffs, that would be the first thing on my mind, not going to a bar

it was only "a few" right? SFA fans should be more worried about the cold than a few beers on a Thursday night, plenty of time to recover before Saturday

Bam
December 4th, 2009, 08:09 AM
I'm no expert, but we only go around this life once, so a trip to Montana would include site seeing, drinking, drinking, site seeing, etc.

fltheadgriz
December 4th, 2009, 08:10 AM
Any night of the week during playoff season.
No expert, but most of the stupid things that athletes do are usually around bars and include mass quantities of alcohol
I expect this from NFL since it is a job to them, but from student/athletes, nope.
Hypothetical situation...what if the QB from SFA got into a fight or did something stupid in the cold weather after drinking and was not 100% for the game? Is that the smartest thing to do duuring the playoffs?

griz8791
December 4th, 2009, 08:10 AM
Wow oh wow

They don't seem the least bit anxious about being photographed. You don't think Chris told them who he was and that he ran a message board? How do you get that big a crew away from the hotel without the coaches knowing?

I guess we'll find out tomorrow morning or Sunday whether it was authorized or not.

fltheadgriz
December 4th, 2009, 08:14 AM
Plus I am sure most of them are on scholarships. So is this how SFA wants their school to be represented during the playoffs?
WOW

grizzpaw
December 4th, 2009, 08:16 AM
as long as the players don't get drunk or show discredit to the host or their own school and are of legal age no problemxconfusedx!

fltheadgriz
December 4th, 2009, 08:20 AM
Okay here is a sticky situation
In Montana the legal drinking age is 18
In Texas, from what I have been told, the legal drinking age was raised to 21 on September 1, 1986.
So if they represent SFA which rules apply for them?

Grizzle G
December 4th, 2009, 08:26 AM
Legal drinking age in Montana is 21. I see no harm in what they did. As long as they are legal age to drink, they are adults and can make their own decisions.

State Line Liquors
December 4th, 2009, 08:28 AM
Kudos to the coaches for letting them blow off some steam for a few hours and enjoy their playoff experience. These aren't children, they are young men who will be making decisions for themselves for many years to come.

No offense, but there are very few of us who will ever say we were in Missoula, much less the state of Montana, ever. If the players are of age, behaved respectfully and responsibly then there is nothing wrong with this. The coach shows alot of trust in his players, and most likely they have earned it. SFA's coach just got a new fan.

Poker Alan
December 4th, 2009, 08:28 AM
Okay here is a sticky situation
In Montana the legal drinking age is 18
In Texas, from what I have been told, the legal drinking age was raised to 21 on September 1, 1986.
So if they represent SFA which rules apply for them?

WTF are you talking about? Its 21... in a bar, at least...

AppIAA
December 4th, 2009, 08:29 AM
If they were getting too drunk, then yea, its a problem. But if they just went to a bar to watch the game, have a beer or two, and hang out as a team, i don't see a problem at all..

Poker Alan
December 4th, 2009, 08:29 AM
Kudos to the coaches for letting them blow off some steam for a few hours and enjoy their playoff experience. These aren't children, they are young men who will be making decisions for themselves for many years to come.

No offense, but there are very few of us who will ever say we were in Missoula, much less the state of Montana, ever. If the players are of age, behaved respectfully and responsibly then there is nothing wrong with this. The coach shows alot of trust in his players, and most likely they have earned it. SFA's coach just got a new fan.

As I thought about this more, I agree with this post... glad they had a chance to experience it, I am sure they will take away at least some positive moments about their trip to Missoula...

fltheadgriz
December 4th, 2009, 08:30 AM
My bad it is 21 in Montana

Grizzle G
December 4th, 2009, 08:35 AM
I thought their quarterback was a young'n, but i guess he is a junior and is 21 now

JMUNJ08
December 4th, 2009, 08:38 AM

Yeah I was wondering how Montana would get by the US law of 21...

fltheadgriz
December 4th, 2009, 08:40 AM
Just looks bad all the way around especially with the pilot program in DIII that the NCAA is trying to do to come down hard on public drinking and drug use with student-athletes.
Very undisciplined call

griz8791
December 4th, 2009, 08:42 AM
I disagree, flthead. But we would be on the same page if it happened tonight.

wideright82

I think it is actually a state regulated law that states mutually agree upon, but I could be wrong.

UNH Fanboi

There is no federal law setting the drinking age at 21. Every state has set the age at 21 because the federal government will revoke federal highway funding (which is a lot of money) from any state that sets the drinking age below 21. Any state could set the age at 18 or even lower if they really wanted to.

caribbeanhen
December 4th, 2009, 08:43 AM
legal drinking age is 18 down here including U.S. citizens

wideright82
December 4th, 2009, 08:43 AM
I think it is actually a state regulated law that states mutually agree upon, but I could be wrong.

It's not actually a US law that the drinking age is 21. Every state has set the age at 21 because the federal government will revoke federal highway funding (which is a lot of money) from any state that sets the drinking age below 21. Any state could set the age at 18 or even lower if they really wanted to.

Well then that answers it.xlolxxlolx

chrisattsu
December 4th, 2009, 08:45 AM
Wait, people from SFA are drinking? Surely you jest.

The Voorn Project, a website created by a TCU alum, made stereotypes about a bunch of Texas schools. This is what he had to say about SFA

STEPHEN F. AUSTIN STATE UNIVERSITY
I am drunk or having sex right now. I went to class once. That about sums it up.
I am a Lumberjack.

Poker Alan
December 4th, 2009, 09:02 AM
Wait, people from SFA are drinking? Surely you jest.

The Voorn Project, a website created by a TCU alum, made stereotypes about a bunch of Texas schools. This is what he had to say about SFA

STEPHEN F. AUSTIN STATE UNIVERSITY
I am drunk or having sex right now. I went to class once. That about sums it up.
I am a Lumberjack.

This is hall-of-fame...

th0m
December 4th, 2009, 09:58 AM
legal drinking age is 18 down here including U.S. citizens

It's 16 here ;) Eighteen for alcohol that has more than 15% ABV though.

Esko
December 4th, 2009, 10:00 AM

Yeah, pretty sure all states are 21. Assume its a national law.

Grrrrriz
December 4th, 2009, 10:07 AM
I don't see the problem. Some people of legal drinking age, go to an establishment where they can legally drink, and have a few legal drinks a couple nights before they play in a football game.....Its not like they went on some drunken rampage pissing all over the Grizzly in the center of campus. Chill out. They are just having a couple drinks.......2 DAYS BEFORE THEY PLAY FOOTBALL! THE HORROR!

theasushow
December 4th, 2009, 10:23 AM
im sure if they lose... we will hear the mandatory "well i guess they shouldnt have been out drinking thursday night". this is the playoffs, let em have some fun.

Uncle Rico's Clan
December 4th, 2009, 10:59 AM
I was down at Reds last night, Moses and two of his buddies showed up around 7:30, at first we thought they may have been part of the staff along for the ride or former players but quickly found out they were current players. Of course we did the courteous thing and sent a few shots their way. Some phone calls were made and a bunch of other players showed up. They each had a few beers and a few shots, they sang their fight song, we sang Up With Montana, all and all they seemed like nice guys. They didn't cause any problems and no one seemed to cause problems for them, but the issue i have is it was 2 nights before a big game. As a coach I would be worried that someone might get carried away and have too much fun, or worse find a less friendly bar and have kids possibly getting hurt or arrested. I think as a coach its not a risk I'm willing to take, they are here to play football, its not a sight seeing party to Montana.

gbhmt
December 4th, 2009, 11:03 AM
I was down at Reds last night, Moses and two of his buddies showed up around 7:30, at first we thought they may have been part of the staff along for the ride or former players but quickly found out they were current players. Of course we did the courteous thing and sent a few shots their way. Some phone calls were made and a bunch of other players showed up. They each had a few beers and a few shots, they sang their fight song, we sang Up With Montana, all and all they seemed like nice guys. They didn't cause any problems and no one seemed to cause problems for them, but the issue i have is it was 2 nights before a big game. As a coach I would be worried that someone might get carried away and have too much fun, or worse find a less friendly bar and have kids possibly getting hurt or arrested. I think as a coach its not a risk I'm willing to take, they are here to play football, its not a sight seeing party to Montana.

Maybe their coach knew that in Missoula that's not a concern.

Uncle Rico's Clan
December 4th, 2009, 11:16 AM

Maybe not, but is it worth the risk? Anyone in Missoula remember the story in the Missoulian about the bachelor party in Missoula a few weeks ago that happened on a thursday night at Reds?

http://www.missoulian.com/news/local/article_dabbdffa-d64b-11de-ac33-001cc4c03286.html

What if the team runs into these guys 2 days before the game? I don't think its worth the risk.

gbhmt
December 4th, 2009, 11:19 AM
Maybe not, but is it worth the risk? Anyone in Missoula remember the story in the Missoulian about the bachelor party in Missoula a few weeks ago that happened on a thursday night at Reds?

http://www.missoulian.com/news/local/article_dabbdffa-d64b-11de-ac33-001cc4c03286.html

What if the team runs into these guys 2 days before the game? I don't think its worth the risk.

I just feel like at a place like Red's, 99% of the people in there would treat them like guests since that's what they are. If some ass came in and heckled them, there'd be a lot of people standing by that would put an end to it.

GolfingGriz
December 4th, 2009, 11:22 AM

That was a pretty rare occasion and they only ended up at red's because they were kicked out of everywhere else. I'm assuming that SFA is staying at Holiday Inn parkside which is just a couple blocks from Red's. The only danger that these guys could have gotten into is if Montana fans offered to buy them too many drinks...xthumbsupx

Skjellyfetti
December 4th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Yeah, I don't necessarily see a problem with this. Would help to know what time they were out. If they just went out to have a few drinks and watch the Oregon-Oregon State game... no problem. If they're getting trashed and staying out till last call a couple days before a playoff game... I'd be pissed if I were an SFA fan.

Uncle Rico's Clan
December 4th, 2009, 11:24 AM
I just feel like at a place like Red's, 99% of the people in there would treat them like guests since that's what they are. If some ass came in and heckled them, there'd be a lot of people standing by that would put an end to it.

I completely agree, they stumbled into the best bar they could have, and everyone seemed to have a good time. My concern would be that they find a less than friendly bar, or one drunk tough guy in bar and things turn bad. Missoula for the most part is a really safe place, my whole point is that I wouldn't want to risk anything happening before a big game. I think this is a better safe than sorry situation.

Uncle Rico's Clan
December 4th, 2009, 11:25 AM
One of them said their curfew was midnight so they all got out of there at about 11:30.

Eight Legger
December 4th, 2009, 11:26 AM
Pretty sure that our guys will not be at that bar or any others if we come out there next week.

gbhmt
December 4th, 2009, 11:28 AM
Pretty sure that our guys will not be at that bar or any others if we come out there next week.

Stuck-up east coasters... :p

GolfingGriz
December 4th, 2009, 11:29 AM

Oh come on, your boys would have a great time at amvets!

FCS Go!
December 4th, 2009, 11:43 AM
Oh come on, your boys would have a great time at amvets!

xnonox

Silenoz
December 4th, 2009, 12:02 PM

Good lord. Seriously, people like that deserve anything and everything bad that happens to them in life.

UNH Fanboi
December 4th, 2009, 12:15 PM
It's a good thing they didn't run into any Griz players flashing gang signs....

http://www.montanakaimin.com/index.php/news/news_article/allegations_against_griz_football_players_surface/

:D

FCS Go!
December 4th, 2009, 12:24 PM
It's a good thing they didn't run into any Griz players flashing gang signs....

http://www.montanakaimin.com/index.php/news/news_article/allegations_against_griz_football_players_surface/

:D

Or UNH quarterbacks:

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/college/football/view.bg?articleid=1030053

Franks Tanks
December 4th, 2009, 12:28 PM
On Thursday night, if they keep it under control?

I think it shows they are relaxed and confident, but I never played organized football and would like to know what the experts think.

Getting drunk in public on the Thursday before a game is certainly not cool. It does have a potential affect on performance, but other than that it doesnt represent the team well.

Franks Tanks
December 4th, 2009, 12:31 PM
I don't see the problem. Some people of legal drinking age, go to an establishment where they can legally drink, and have a few legal drinks a couple nights before they play in a football game.....Its not like they went on some drunken rampage pissing all over the Grizzly in the center of campus. Chill out. They are just having a couple drinks.......2 DAYS BEFORE THEY PLAY FOOTBALL! THE HORROR!

You certainly never played football. Players exert themselves to a level you probbaly have never done in your life during a D-I football game. They shouldnt be out boozing two days before the game.

gbhmt
December 4th, 2009, 12:36 PM
You certainly never played football. Players exert themselves to a level you probbaly have never done in your life during a D-I football game. They shouldnt be out boozing two days before the game.

They're not "boozing out", they're just having a few drinks while watching a football game on tv. They're not binge drinking for Christ's sake! A few drinks, especially if you drink some water after, aren't going to do jack about a football game two days later. You just assume that alcohol can't be consumed responsibly. Somehow I think winning the football game means more to them than get *****faced on a Thursday night. xcoffeex

UNHFan99
December 4th, 2009, 12:41 PM
The Reality is if anything went wrong at all someone will be held responsible. This is the type of behavior that gets people fired.

Grrrrriz
December 4th, 2009, 12:43 PM

I certainly have played football. From age 12 into college. You probably/obviously have no idea that athletes train incredibly hard, and if they can't handle a night of drinking two days before a game, they certainly won't be able to handle playing full speed in a football game in the first place. Do you see what I am saying?...(HINT: It won't have any sort of affect on their game 36 hours later.)

jmufan999
December 4th, 2009, 12:45 PM
it was only "a few" right? SFA fans should be more worried about the cold than a few beers on a Thursday night, plenty of time to recover before Saturday

right, except i would say they should be more worried about actually playing football than the cold.... or the beers.

people love to make an issue out of stuff like this... people do the same thing with "revenge" games. means absolutely nothing. once the game starts, the best team will win. weather (or the players having a few beers several days before the game) isn't going to have anything to do with it.

Husky4Life
December 4th, 2009, 12:48 PM

Some of my teammates would have a drink or two on thursdays. It's really a personal preference, more often than not it would be the back-ups who weren't going to play much if at all. Let us not forget this also could be players that aren't even dressing but made the trip. The only thing physically that this could cause is dehydration, especially in the extreme cold. So SFA players, have a few more glasses of water tonight. Good Luck!!!

Grrrrriz
December 4th, 2009, 01:01 PM
right, except i would say they should be more worried about actually playing football than the cold.... or the beers.

people love to make an issue out of stuff like this... people do the same thing with "revenge" games. means absolutely nothing. once the game starts, the best team will win. weather (or the players having a few beers several days before the game) isn't going to have anything to do with it.

I completely agree. This will have ZERO effect on the way they play football on Saturday. As well, I am sure this isn't the first time they have had a few drinks during the week of a big game, its college...and they made the playoffs. I think the best thing is that they were out in the community, having a good time, and fraternizing with the fans...THAT is whats coolest about these pictures.

Bam
December 4th, 2009, 01:08 PM
I completely agree. This will have ZERO effect on the way they play football on Saturday. As well, I am sure this isn't the first time they have had a few drinks during the week of a big game, its college...and they made the playoffs. I think the best thing is that they were out in the community, having a good time, and fraternizing with the fans...THAT is whats coolest about these pictures.

How about this guy:

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2009/12/02/ron-artest-used-to-drink-hennessy-at-halftime/

Franks Tanks
December 4th, 2009, 01:09 PM
They're not "boozing out", they're just having a few drinks while watching a football game on tv. They're not binge drinking for Christ's sake! A few drinks, especially if you drink some water after, aren't going to do jack about a football game two days later. You just assume that alcohol can't be consumed responsibly. Somehow I think winning the football game means more to them than get *****faced on a Thursday night. xcoffeex

Boozing can have an effect. I wouldnt drink leading up to a game, expecially a playoff game. If they want to fine, but it can have an impact

Franks Tanks
December 4th, 2009, 01:14 PM
I certainly have played football. From age 12 into college. You probably/obviously have no idea that athletes train incredibly hard, and if they can't handle a night of drinking two days before a game, they certainly won't be able to handle playing full speed in a football game in the first place. Do you see what I am saying?...(HINT: It won't have any sort of affect on their game 36 hours later.)

I played FCS college football. I have trained incredibly hard and no doubt booze has a negaitve impact. You know little about nutrition and recovery if you think alcohol has no effect on the body.

"and if they can't handle a night of drinking two days before a game, they certainly won't be able to handle playing full speed in a football game in the first place."

That is so incredibly wrong. Of course they can play in the game, but they may not be in top condition. Alcohol makes muscle recovery more difficult and raises insulin levels etc. It can cause dehydration and interfere with sleep, and yes rest on Thursday night is important as well. Highly trained athletes are more likley to feel different from slight things like this.

If they want to go out and party so be it, its their choice. But drinking that close to a game can make an impact.

Grrrrriz
December 4th, 2009, 01:20 PM
How about this guy:

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2009/12/02/ron-artest-used-to-drink-hennessy-at-halftime/

I read that the other day. That is hilarious, although if someone told me that there was an NBA player that used to drink Hennessy at half time, my first guess probably would have been "Artest". Just goes to show you....something.

andy7171
December 4th, 2009, 01:38 PM
PPssssttt. Franks played a Lafayette. I agree with him. I played at Towson.

When I was a freshamn and sophomore, the upper classmen would go out drinking the FRIDAY before a game. We sucked bad(2-9, 2-8, 1-10) We made a rule that we would NOT go out drinking from Thursday on until post game, We went 5-5 and 8-2 the following years.

SFA is playing in the biggest game of their lives in one of the coolest places they can do it in. They shouldn't be out in a bar drinking. xnonono2x

Green26
December 4th, 2009, 01:41 PM
I played FCS college football. I have trained incredibly hard and no doubt booze has a negaitve impact. You know little about nutrition and recovery if you think alcohol has no effect on the body.

"and if they can't handle a night of drinking two days before a game, they certainly won't be able to handle playing full speed in a football game in the first place."

That is so incredibly wrong. Of course they can play in the game, but they may not be in top condition. Alcohol makes muscle recovery more difficult and raises insulin levels etc. It can cause dehydration and interfere with sleep, and yes rest on Thursday night is important as well. Highly trained athletes are more likley to feel different from slight things like this.

If they want to go out and party so be it, its their choice. But drinking that close to a game can make an impact.

Had I known this when I played in college, I probably would have been an all-american. That's a joke, for those of you with no sense of humor.

Whatever negative the alcohol may have had on us physiologically, we more than made up for it in making sure we were completely focused and playing hard. The harder anyone partied, even the night before the game, the harder they played. (We lost only 2 games during my 3 varsity years.)

wideright82
December 4th, 2009, 01:46 PM

When I was a freshamn and sophomore, the upper classmen would go out drinking the FRIDAY before a game. We sucked bad(2-9, 2-8, 1-10) We made a rule that we would NOT go out drinking from Thursday on until post game, We went 5-5 and 8-2 the following years.

SFA is playing in the biggest game of their lives in one of the coolest places they can do it in. They shouldn't be out in a bar drinking. xnonono2x

I completely agree, coming from former FCS player as well. Whoever says otherwise doesn't know his ass from his elbow.

Franks Tanks
December 4th, 2009, 01:49 PM
Had I known this when I played in college, I probably would have been an all-american. That's a joke, for those of you with no sense of humor.

Whatever negative the alcohol may have had on us physiologically, we more than made up for it in making sure we were completely focused and playing hard. The harder anyone partied, even the night before the game, the harder they played. (We lost only 2 games during my 3 varsity years.)

Well that is impressive xlolx

From your posts I believe you played at Dartmouth during their glory years of the early 70's (I could be wrong).

With all due respect it was a bit different then as weight training and nutrition was an afterthought for most college programs--it is of course essential today. I assume your talent level was quite a bit higher than your opponents as well.

Franks Tanks
December 4th, 2009, 01:52 PM

Yes--will having a few beers on Thursday have a large impact on the players...no. Can it have some sort of effect physically? Absolutely

And beyond that the members of a FB team sacrafice for years to get themselves into a situation like this. Why they would do anything to endanger being in top condition for a game is beyond me.

Green26
December 4th, 2009, 02:03 PM
Well that is impressive xlolx

From your posts I believe you played at Dartmouth during their glory years of the early 70's (I could be wrong).

With all due respect it was a bit different then as weight training and nutrition was an afterthought for most college programs--it is of course essential today. I assume your talent level was quite a bit higher than your opponents as well.

Correct as to when/where I played. Don't know on the talent level. Some weight training, but zero by me (except the 12-ounce curls).

Redbird Ray
December 4th, 2009, 02:10 PM
I don't see any problems with this on a Thursday night. Friday night, different story. As long as no one tried to pick fights with any of the Montana fans or anything stupid like that, I think it's all good.

catatac
December 4th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Geez guys. Don't pretend like players on your favorite team never go out drinking two nights before a game... or even THE night before a game sometimes. These guys are in college. BFD. I have more respect for this SFA team now.

MaximumBobcat
December 4th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Yes--will having a few beers on Thursday have a large impact on the players...no. Can it have some sort of effect physically? Absolutely

And beyond that the members of a FB team sacrafice for years to get themselves into a situation like this. Why they would do anything to endanger being in top condition for a game is beyond me.

Yeah, and a bad hamburger from McDonalds could have some sort of effect physically as well.

A meteor crashing through their hotel roof could also. xrolleyesx :D

Franks Tanks
December 4th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Yeah, and a bad hamburger from McDonalds could have some sort of effect physically as well.

A meteor crashing through their hotel roof could also. xrolleyesx :D

So could a yeast infection and cramps

I will get say it--anyone who thinks its ok for a college football team to be out drinking 2 days before a game is wrong

Nobody who played college football recently would be ok with this

MaximumBobcat
December 4th, 2009, 03:11 PM

Lol @ opinion like it's fact.

Obviously I agree it's not smart for any team to get drunk probably even within a week from any big game, but we don't know how much they drank or anything like that at all. I thought I read they left by like 11:30 even. Who cares.

Franks Tanks
December 4th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Lol @ opinion like it's fact.

Obviously I agree it's not smart for any team to get drunk probably even within a week from any big game, but we don't know how much they drank or anything like that at all. I thought I read they left by like 11:30 even. Who cares.

If you worked your ass off as a member of a team you would understand. I cant explain it to you otherwise.

MaximumBobcat
December 4th, 2009, 03:23 PM
If you worked your ass off as a member of a team you would understand. I cant explain it to you otherwise.

Yes, team members should hold each other accountable. However, different philosophies work for different teams and different people. If you don't understand that, then I can't explain it to you either.

Grrrrriz
December 4th, 2009, 03:31 PM
So could a yeast infection and cramps

I will get say it--anyone who thinks its ok for a college football team to be out drinking 2 days before a game is wrong

I have played recently, (within the last 6 years) and its fine. You forget that these athletes train hard, their bodies are usually in pretty peak condition, and they are in their early to mid 20's. A few drinks 2 days before the game isn't going to do anything. The toxic effects of alcohol are out of your body after 24 hours of your last drink....and if that isn't the case, you need to see a doctor, because something is wrong with you. Drinking 2 days before the game will have no ill effect on your performance. Give me a break.

txstatebobcat
December 4th, 2009, 03:34 PM
I don't think its a big deal myself. Truth be told I think that players walking around without coats in 20 degree weather will probably be more detrimental to their health than a few beers.

Franks Tanks
December 4th, 2009, 03:38 PM
I have played recently, (within the last 6 years) and its fine. You forget that these athletes train hard, their bodies are usually in pretty peak condition, and they are in their early to mid 20's. A few drinks 2 days before the game isn't going to do anything. The toxic effects of alcohol are out of your body after 24 hours of your last drink....and if that isn't the case, you need to see a doctor, because something is wrong with you. Drinking 2 days before the game will have no ill effect on your performance. Give me a break.

I'm 29 fruitcake, and still in quite good shape.

If were doing something as taxing as playing a D-I football game I wouldnt drink for at least 4 days. Yes it may be out of the system but why even take such a chance.

Squealofthepig
December 4th, 2009, 03:49 PM

If were doing something as taxing as playing a D-I football game I wouldnt drink for at least 4 days. Yes it may be out of the system but why even take such a chance.

Dude, what works for you may not work for others. And calling another poster a fruitcake does not exactly indicate you're posting from a rational perspective.

There are two camps here, and both are reasonable, really. Some - like you and I - find it rather incredulous that someone could risk not being at tip-top shape before a game. You and I wouldn't do that.

Others point out that there's no indication that the players got trashed - zilch - and were enjoying some good old Missoula hospitality. There really is little to indicate that having a beer or two two days before a game would suddenly turn SFA into the bad news bears.

Ultimately, it shouldn't be a big deal; the only real travesty is their choice of drinking establishments, but that's a separate thread. :)

Grrrrriz
December 4th, 2009, 03:50 PM

My comment was mostly about your "anyone who thinks so is wrong" or "nobody who has played college football recently would think so". My point is, obviously people who have played recently think so...in fact some playing currently, this saturday...The only risk I see is them getting tipsy and doing something stupid. But as far as I can tell, nothing bad happened and they were good ambassadors for their school. Therfore..No big deal. That is the only risk involved with doing what they did. Also, how are you a "29 fruitcake"? Or did you mean I'm 29, fruitcake. That comma makes a world of difference.

gbhmt
December 4th, 2009, 03:51 PM
Not to mention that beer is drank like water in countries like Britain and Germany, and it doesn't seem to faze the world class soccer players. And a 90 minute soccer match is every bit as taxing as a football game.

Franks Tanks
December 4th, 2009, 04:01 PM
Not to mention that beer is drank like water in countries like Britain and Germany, and it doesn't seem to faze the world class soccer players. And a 90 minute soccer match is every bit as taxing as a football game.

xlolx

Ya right. Let me smash you in the head for 3 hours while you are playing soccer and then you will understand what a FB player feels like. There is a reason why humans only play one FB game a week-- it really taxing and you are sore for 4 days afterword.

BEAR
December 4th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Guys....SFA players were drinking last year because of the 0-11 year they had! They made it to the second round of the playoffs! Let 'em drink! It's going to be a while before that program gets back into it again! xlolx Geez. Who visits Montana and doesn't want something to drink anyway!?

GrizFanStuckInUtah
December 4th, 2009, 11:15 PM
Sounds like everyone involved had a good time and there wasn't any trouble. I don't see why it's a big deal. But often times when people drink, they do tend to loosen up a bit and get into more trouble than normal. Glad these guys had fun and hopefully we can give them a reason to drown their sorrow in lots of beers on Saturday night. xnodx

Tribe4SF
December 4th, 2009, 11:26 PM

Research findings from the American Athletic Institute.

*Alcohol increases the time for recovery of androgenic training hormones (up to 96 hours)

*Alcohol’s diuretic effect diminishes water soluble vitamins required for hormone catalytic/conversion actions

*Alcohol increases the release of cortisol (the stress hormone), which negates training effect

*Alcohol decreases the protein synthesis for muscle fiber repair

*Alcohol reduces the immune system capability

*Alcohol reduces performance potential by up to 11.4 percent

*Alcohol disturbs the REM sleep time, reducing the CNS restorative/recovery ability

*Alcohol impairs reaction time up to 12 hours after consumption

*Heavy episodic drinking results in projected loss of up to 14 days of training effect

*Alcohol affects heart, lungs and muscle performance

Bettina90
December 4th, 2009, 11:32 PM
I guess this is what the Junior Varsity part of the bracket talks about in light of the fact that they are not advancing past this game.

th0m
December 5th, 2009, 01:48 AM

Wow really? So because a country is thought of to drink much, their star athletes must follow that credo? I'd like to think that Holland has somewhat of a drinking reputation as well.

I'm currently rowing crew (this is an endurance sport) and at the beginning of the season you go "in training" which means for freshmen athletes that you stop drinking altogether for six months and go to bed at 11pm etc. In your sophomore year and onwards it is at your own discretion but rarely if ever will you see an athlete touch even one beer in the week leading up to a race, any race. And these are not scholarship athletes, but people who can enjoy getting the maximum athletic performance out of their bodies, which means you don't drink. When you've won a race, well then all bets are off ;)

Tailbone
December 5th, 2009, 02:16 AM
I'm currently rowing crew (this is an endurance sport) ......

Crew? CREW!???? Crew's not a sport!!!

FOOSBALL!........Now that's a sport! xsmiley_wix

AAadict
December 5th, 2009, 02:25 AM
Might see a few SFA boys cramping up tomorrow. Hopefully the trainer is getting good rest tonight.

gbhmt
December 5th, 2009, 02:44 AM
Wow really? So because a country is thought of to drink much, their star athletes must follow that credo? I'd like to think that Holland has somewhat of a drinking reputation as well.

I'm currently rowing crew (this is an endurance sport) and at the beginning of the season you go "in training" which means for freshmen athletes that you stop drinking altogether for six months and go to bed at 11pm etc. In your sophomore year and onwards it is at your own discretion but rarely if ever will you see an athlete touch even one beer in the week leading up to a race, any race. And these are not scholarship athletes, but people who can enjoy getting the maximum athletic performance out of their bodies, which means you don't drink. When you've won a race, well then all bets are off ;)

All that comment was saying is that you guys are just being so damn soft about this. You talk like all alcohol in any form or volume of consumption is like poison. They're adults, let them do what they want. If SFA loses this football game, it's not going to be because of Thursday night. Jesus... xcoffeex

th0m
December 5th, 2009, 05:11 AM
Crew? CREW!???? Crew's not a sport!!!

FOOSBALL!........Now that's a sport! xsmiley_wix

xlolx

UNIFanSince1983
December 5th, 2009, 08:44 AM
Don't get me wrong I do not think this is a big deal. In fact if they did it now don't you think they probably have done it all season? So if it hasn't really affected them to this point why all of a sudden would it make a huge difference now? You don't think they just did it one time because they were in Montana? It does take 48 hours for alcohol to get out of your system, but going home at 1130 and only having a couple will not affect them to a massive effect on Saturday.

The people who "played" and didn't drink. Yeah that is what you did it does not mean there haven't been top flight FCS players who went out and had a few drinks on a Thursday night. If it is as taxing and effects you as much as you say wouldn't going out on Saturday after the game and getting black out drunk be pretty detrimental too? Yet I guarantee ALOT of players do that. Heck I know going out in Cedar Falls you would find almost the whole team out on a Saturday night.

Of course I guess since I never played at that level I don't know anything. I did play at the D3 level (I use play loosely by the way). What I can tell you is going out and drinking a bottle of vodka the night before a game will leave you still quite drunk during warm ups of a 1pm game. xthumbsupx

All that comment was saying is that you guys are just being so damn soft about this. You talk like all alcohol in any form or volume of consumption is like poison. They're adults, let them do what they want. If SFA loses this football game, it's not going to be because of Thursday night. Jesus... xcoffeex

Actually alcohol is poison...

NSUDemon98
December 5th, 2009, 10:52 AM

Exactly. They're gonna do it...regardless if it is in the hotel room where minors can take part and some bad could really happen or a place where you have to be of legal age to partake and buy alcohol. Plus it was Thursday night and I doubt they got schlossed.

Lighten up...."People who live in glass houses."

NSUDemon98
December 5th, 2009, 10:57 AM

JC Harper has been to Missoula for the playoffs a few times. He was the DC for NSU back in 2002 I know for a fact.

McNeese75
December 5th, 2009, 01:14 PM
"Perception is Reality"

The visit to Red's may have been in fun and not cause problems but it just does not look good IMO. The rubber will meet the road this afternoon. If Moses, et al have a great game and even pull off the upset then Harper is a genius for giving them some room to relax. If the Jack get their doors blown off then Harper is lax and has no discipline and therefore they blew it.

I remember the McNeese Team being up until Midnight in the Chat Choo Choo with fans friday night before the 2002 NC game. Their lack of focus showed the next day. xsmhx

McNeese75
December 5th, 2009, 01:27 PM
Two pics thrown by Moses in the first 5 minutes of the first quarter due to "bad decisions" per the commentators xpeacex

kdinva
December 5th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Kudos to the coaches for letting them blow off some steam for a few hours and enjoy their playoff experience.......
are they having fun now?:(

fltheadgriz
December 5th, 2009, 03:02 PM
As I said in another thread they should have been studying film on the Grizz instead of partying.

blukeys
December 5th, 2009, 03:06 PM
Research findings from the American Athletic Institute.

*Alcohol increases the time for recovery of androgenic training hormones (up to 96 hours)

*Alcohol’s diuretic effect diminishes water soluble vitamins required for hormone catalytic/conversion actions

*Alcohol increases the release of cortisol (the stress hormone), which negates training effect

*Alcohol decreases the protein synthesis for muscle fiber repair

*Alcohol reduces the immune system capability

*Alcohol reduces performance potential by up to 11.4 percent

*Alcohol disturbs the REM sleep time, reducing the CNS restorative/recovery ability

*Alcohol impairs reaction time up to 12 hours after consumption

*Heavy episodic drinking results in projected loss of up to 14 days of training effect

*Alcohol affects heart, lungs and muscle performance

Geez I got the same handout when I was working in the Substance Abuse Recovery Business!!!xnodx

th0m
December 5th, 2009, 03:24 PM
I think it's time to prepare a "told you so" dance ;)

MaximumBobcat
December 5th, 2009, 03:26 PM
There are about a million better and probably more accurate reasons why SFA lost this game then because they drank a couple beers on a Thursday night.

Off the top of my head: THE GRIZ PLAYERS ARE BETTER, the cold, the crowd noise, etc...

BEAR
December 5th, 2009, 04:27 PM
I knew those two beers would destroy the effectiveness of the SFA offense! xrolleyesxxlolx Might have a little more to do with good defense or other factors unnamed. xlolx

fltheadgriz
December 5th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Or could it be the lackadaisical attitude that they had when things weren't going their way
Or could it be they didn't spend enough time prepping for the Grizz and went out drinking instead?

BEAR
December 5th, 2009, 06:08 PM
I doubt it. xlolx

BDKJMU
December 5th, 2009, 06:23 PM

There is no "US" federal drinking law of 21. But every state has a legal drinking age of 21. Either that or lose fed highway tax dollars. Thats how the fed got all the states to raise their drinking age to 21. LA was the last holdout, raised it to 21 in 95'.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._history_of_alcohol_minimum_purchase_age_by_st ate

BDKJMU
December 5th, 2009, 06:25 PM
There is no federal law setting the drinking age at 21. Every state has set the age at 21 because the federal government will revoke federal highway funding (which is a lot of money) from any state that sets the drinking age below 21. Any state could set the age at 18 or even lower if they really wanted to.

Darn it I should have read ahead before I replied above...

BDKJMU
December 5th, 2009, 06:39 PM

Soccer is for Pu*****. You lost any man point with that statement. xlolx

gbhmt
December 5th, 2009, 06:43 PM
Soccer is for Pu*****. You lost any man point with that statement. xlolx

Since you clearly haven't played it, you lost any point at all with that statement. Typical thickheaded "I are strong mayun" comment. xnutsx

BDKJMU
December 5th, 2009, 06:47 PM
Since you clearly haven't played it, you lost any point at all with that statement. Typical thickheaded "I are strong mayun" comment. xnutsx

Played soccer for 5 1/2 years up till the 8th grade. Then I went to playing a real sport. xnodx

gbhmt
December 5th, 2009, 06:50 PM
Played soccer for 5 1/2 years up till the 8th grade. Then I went to playing a real sport. xnodx

Soccer in the 8th grade is like playing flag football in middle school.

NSUDemon98
December 5th, 2009, 09:19 PM
Or could it be the lackadaisical attitude that they had when things weren't going their way
Or could it be they didn't spend enough time prepping for the Grizz and went out drinking instead?

Probably not...xrotatehx

appstate38
December 5th, 2009, 10:02 PM
I say lack of focus and them not being able to handle some adversity early!

Eight Legger
December 6th, 2009, 12:14 AM
I am embarrassed for SFA fans who have to see the pictures of half their team out drinking two nights before getting completely plastered on the field today. NO EXCUSE for that, at all. The coach should be reprimanded or fired. You just don't do it and don't allow it, period.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 6th, 2009, 01:02 AM
The visit to Red's may have been in fun and not cause problems but it just does not look good IMO. The rubber will meet the road this afternoon. If Moses, et al have a great game and even pull off the upset then Harper is a genius for giving them some room to relax. If the Jack get their doors blown off then Harper is lax and has no discipline and therefore they blew it.

I remember the McNeese Team being up until Midnight in the Chat Choo Choo with fans friday night before the 2002 NC game. Their lack of focus showed the next day. xsmhx

Oh man, does THIS ever look wise now.

Proud Griz Man
December 6th, 2009, 01:52 AM
There are about a million better and probably more accurate reasons why SFA lost this game then because they drank a couple beers on a Thursday night.

Off the top of my head: THE GRIZ PLAYERS ARE BETTER, the cold, the crowd noise, etc...

VALID point MB. xcoffeex

Green26
December 6th, 2009, 02:46 AM
I am embarrassed for Richmond for having goodie two shoes fans like Eight Legger. Jeez man, don't be such a wimp, or lighten up.

The SFA qb and his 25 or 30 buddies at Reds were terrific guys. This is what this team does on Thursday nights, they and some of their supporters said. Yah, some had more than a few shots or drinks, but my guess is that this is what they did all season. Hats off to them for keeping up their tradition.

I'm glad they had some fun on their trip to Missoula. This is what my team did in the old days.

Montana appears to be a big roll. No one was going to stop UM today. UM has now played the best 80 minutes of any I-AA team this year. I hope we can continue.

I wish the SFA team huge success next year. You, your parents and fans were terrific.

P.S. "We're not that drunk. We're not that drunk." I stopped at Reds tonight. It was hopping, but it wasn't nearly as much fun as on Thursday night when you were there.

Eight Legger
December 6th, 2009, 09:08 AM
I'm sorry that you can't see how bad it looks from the SFA point of view. If you saw similar pictures of the Griz in Chatty last year on the Wednesday night before the title game, then watched them come out and lay an egg against us, wouldn't you be a little miffed? It's about perception, and the perception is a bad one. Nothing wrong with having fun for a night in a new city as a team, but that's not the way to do it if you are about winning the game.

fltheadgriz
December 6th, 2009, 09:11 AM
I am one of the few Grizz fans that thought this was ridiculous.
They (SFA) were not taking the game seriously. They could hav espent more time reviewing film on the Grizz instead of partying.

caribbeanhen
December 6th, 2009, 09:28 AM
I'm sorry that you can't see how bad it looks from the SFA point of view. If you saw similar pictures of the Griz in Chatty last year on the Wednesday night before the title game, then watched them come out and lay an egg against us, wouldn't you be a little miffed? It's about perception, and the perception is a bad one. Nothing wrong with having fun for a night in a new city as a team, but that's not the way to do it if you are about winning the game.

it's not exactly a national headliner, heck I watched ESPN for an hour this morning and no mention of a game in Montana yesterday

BEAR
December 6th, 2009, 09:31 AM
I watched the division II game on espn, this game wasn't even mentioned. Seriously, give the kids a break. 10 turnovers weren't all caused by the beers. Besodes that, if they hadn't studied up on Montana by Thursday night, Friday cram sessions wouldn't have helped either. xlolx