PDA

View Full Version : If your school dropped football today?

Mountaineer#96
December 3rd, 2009, 04:12 PM
What would you do? I know I would do as many HU fans are doing, and cut most ties with my school that I am an alum at.

With two CAA schools dropping the most dominate sport in America and also one that usually brings in the most money that other sports like womens soccer, field hockey and wrestling need to survive as well..........are these administrations making wise long term choices?

I would want someone's head!! xmadxxmadxxmadxxnonox

Go...gate
December 3rd, 2009, 04:14 PM
Colgate would never get another penny from me.

GannonFan
December 3rd, 2009, 04:17 PM
What would you do? I know I would do as many HU fans are doing, and cut most ties with my school that I am an alum at.

With two CAA schools dropping the most dominate sport in America and also one that usually brings in the most money that other sports like womens soccer, field hockey and wrestling need to survive as well..........are these administrations making wise long term choices?

As much as I like football, there are plenty of schools that don't make a dime of profit on football and they do not support the rest of the sports at a University. The vast majority of FCS schools lose money on having football. Not that they need to turn a profit, but let's not pretend that football is paying the bills at most places.

Bogus Megapardus
Armed insurrection would become the only palatable alternative.

gbhmt
There'd be riots! xthumbsupx

iceman4221
December 3rd, 2009, 04:19 PM
Enjoy Football @ my graduate school ECU...

mcveyrl
December 3rd, 2009, 04:20 PM

To answer your first question, I'd still support the school. I'm a fan of JMU across the board. I love going up to Harrisonburg and hanging out, I'd just do that during basketball and baseball season rather than football.

To answer the second, these are dumb dumb dumb decisions by the admins. Like I said elsewhere, if you don't want to shell out the bucks to compete in the CAA, that's fine, but dropping football altogether is just going to create problems later on when you want to add it.

Mountaineer#96
December 3rd, 2009, 04:20 PM
As much as I like football, there are plenty of schools that don't make a dime of profit on football and they do not support the rest of the sports at a University. The vast majority of FCS schools lose money on having football. Not that they need to turn a profit, but let's not pretend that football is paying the bills at most places.

Do you ever say anything in this forum that doesn't pick apart the thread topics?

At a great number of schools in the South football pays the bills and keeps sports that don't make any profit going. You gotta figure in advertising here.........

WestCoastAggie
December 3rd, 2009, 04:25 PM
I would support my school(s) Academically but Athletically, I wouldn't give a dime!

If A&T did this, I would be planning to file that Reverse Title IX lawsuit

jstate83
December 3rd, 2009, 04:28 PM

Would not have to do a thing.
The Fans, Community leaders, and the "City of Jackson" would run the mofo responsible str8 out of town. xlolx

Remember ................. This is the DEEP South.
In the Fall, we got 2 Holy days per week.
One is for Football and the other is for Jesus.:D

saluki_in_ohio
December 3rd, 2009, 04:38 PM
SIU would never see another dime of my money if they dropped football.

Hoyadestroya85
December 3rd, 2009, 04:42 PM
You mean if Villanova dropped football a second time? I wouldn't be too concerned because I know a bunch of frauds would come out and demand that Villanova have a football team again while the real fans like me suffer.

catatac
December 3rd, 2009, 04:45 PM
There'd be riots! xthumbsupx

Geezuz... you aren't kidding there. If UM dropped football... Denny would throw a few million more dollars into your stadium expanding it out to seat about 60K, move it off campus... and create an expansion NFL team called the... MONTANA GRIZZLIES!

lucchesicourt
December 3rd, 2009, 04:49 PM
Sorry, but I believe football brings in much more money to the universities than most think. How many alums give money to the university for programs besides just the athletic department? If you start losing the alumni support for sports, I believe you will be losing donations for other programs as well. Football, and sports in general, are a link to keep past grads interest in their university's future.

JMUNJ08
December 3rd, 2009, 04:50 PM
To answer your first question, I'd still support the school. I'm a fan of JMU across the board. I love going up to Harrisonburg and hanging out, I'd just do that during basketball and baseball season rather than football.

To answer the second, these are dumb dumb dumb decisions by the admins. Like I said elsewhere, if you don't want to shell out the bucks to compete in the CAA, that's fine, but dropping football altogether is just going to create problems later on when you want to add it.

I would still support JMU too but the football games/ tailgates were some of the most memorable times. Don't expect much in alumni donationsxnonox

Our stadium right now sure looks like we are next! They are already knocking it down!

http://www.jmu.edu/jmuweb/cmpa/bfwebcam/bfwebcam.jpg

JMUNJ08
December 3rd, 2009, 04:52 PM
Sorry, but I believe football brings in much more money to the universities than most think. How many alums give money to the university for programs besides just the athletic department? If you start losing the alumni support for sports, I believe you will be losing donations for other programs as well. Football, and sports in general, are a link to keep past grads interest in their university's future.

xbowxxbowxxbowx Correct!xthumbsupx

siuham
December 3rd, 2009, 04:52 PM
I might have to watch Illini football. :( :( :( :( :(

Ivytalk
December 3rd, 2009, 05:08 PM
It would be one more reason NOT to contribute to Harvard. See my siggy for another.

Silenoz
December 3rd, 2009, 05:17 PM
Blame the hippies and ultimate frisbee

techstate
December 3rd, 2009, 05:31 PM
Transfer

Redwyn
December 3rd, 2009, 05:47 PM
I'd resign from all my alumni posts at SBU in a second. The school would be shooting itself in the crotch if football left

Husky Alum
December 3rd, 2009, 06:04 PM

I'd go to hockey games - which is what I did after many a home football game.

Tailgating on campus before hockey games will be the new "in" thing at Northeastern.

Hockey season starts in early October, so our fans showed where their loyalties were. We had more folks at pre season hockey exhibition games than we did at most regular season football games.

JohnStOnge
December 3rd, 2009, 06:14 PM
I went to McNeese for two semesters during 1976, dropped out a while, then went back 1978-2001. The football thing was central to my experience. Also, having grown up in Lake Charles, the football thing was a big factor in me wanting to go the McNeese to begin with. I'm not a huge contributor, but McNeese does get some money out of me. I'm pretty sure that if it dropped football it would get zero.

gbhmt
December 3rd, 2009, 06:16 PM
Seriously though, it'd never ever happen to UM or MSU. College football is the pro sport of Montana and both schools' entire athletic programs would be six feet under in due time, the revenue and support they bring in are too much for either to live without.

AppAlum96
December 3rd, 2009, 06:21 PM
Personally, I'd abandon football before I'd abandon my University. Football was not a factor in my choosing ASU, I didn't even know they had a decent team until I got there. It was just a bonus. App football has brought me a great deal of joy in my life, but ultimately, it was a very tiny portion of my wonderful memories of my time in Boone. I mean, if App gave up football, there are actually benefits: More parking, less traffic, and Boone might stop outgrowing it's charm. :( That being said, I'd vote against it if I had a say. :)

Pard94
December 3rd, 2009, 06:47 PM
I'd probably take the hint. They've already kicked my fraternity off of campus. Without football there wouldn't be much left at Lafayette to which I could relate. As I've said before, I'm not the sort that would return to campus to see how how far the engineering department's concrete canoe travels in this year's Geek-a-palooza.

Skjellyfetti
December 3rd, 2009, 06:56 PM
I'd still support Appalachian... but, I probably wouldn't make it back to campus as often. :(

DFW HOYA
December 3rd, 2009, 08:33 PM
And to that point, where's the outrage in the Hofstra and Northseastern communities, the protests, the calls to play non-scholarship ball or even sprint football as an alternative? When did a college president suddenly command rule by fiat at these schools?

Where are the web sites popping up to argue passionately for its return? See http://www.savewwufootball.com as a prime example.

The lack of response from those alumni and student bodies is music to the ears of these isolated presidents. They got away with it, and no one raises a hand to object.

Uncle Buck
December 3rd, 2009, 09:09 PM
And to that point, where's the outrage in the Hofstra and Northseastern communities, the protests, the calls to play non-scholarship ball or even sprint football as an alternative? When did a college president suddenly command rule by fiat at these schools?

Where are the web sites popping up to argue passionately for its return? See http://www.savewwufootball.com as a prime example.

The lack of response from those alumni and student bodies is music to the ears of these isolated presidents. They got away with it, and no one raises a hand to object.

While there are no websites or at least any that i know of, i can say without a doubt the HU athletic department monitors the CAA Zone message board and they have even trolled this board as well. The HU Alumni and Pride Club numbers today were ringing off the hook according to the person i spoke with when i asked that my name be taken off any correspondence with the university. They just said, "Football?" and i said damn straight. The letters and calls are pouring in, but honestly, nothing is going to save it. Do you honestly think the egomaniac AD Jack Hayes or the football hating prez will go back in and say they changed their minds? This is done, we new it was done with this guy when he first assumed the prez seat, we just hoped the shoe never fell.

Just like the changing of our nickname from Flying Dutchmen to Pride, it was handled behind closed doors with only the administration and trustees. This is typical Hofstra fashion.

Thundar
December 3rd, 2009, 09:12 PM
I would cry

Uncle Buck
December 3rd, 2009, 09:14 PM
To answer this question as a Hofstra guy, being a former player, i went to HU because of football. I was a casual fan of the other sports because my whole college life centered around football. That was my tie in, now, i have no desire to be associated with the school at all. With the dissolution of the football program, so went any identification i have to that school.

They will not get another dime, but they will get another call and letter tomorrow.

I earned a PD from Stony Brook, they are my new team. Big South, here comes Uncle Buck.

Sly Fox
December 3rd, 2009, 09:23 PM
We're glad to have you. Just don't bring too many of your HU starters along with you.

:D

Bull Fan
December 3rd, 2009, 09:26 PM
We're glad to have you. Just don't bring too many of your HU starters along with you.

Hopefully that was a joke.... Outside of Cory Christopher, any Hofstra starter would be a Godsend to ANY Big South team. Don't let the bad playcalling fool you, that was a talented team.

saluki_in_ohio
December 3rd, 2009, 09:29 PM

I could never bring myself to watch University of Illannoy football.

Sly Fox
December 3rd, 2009, 09:29 PM
That was my point. Stony Brook beat us without any help from their Long Island neighbors. We wouldn't want them to get TOO much better. Then again, high tides raise all ships.

Husky Alum
December 3rd, 2009, 09:34 PM

If a tree falls in the woods and no one hears it, does it make a sound?

No one at Northeastern "got away" with anything.

In 2007 we went through the "are we going to drop football" song and dance, and we didn't pull the trigger.

If there was a white knight out there, his horse must have gotten lost on his way to Parsons Field from Huntington Ave.

No one cared at NU, that's why it's gone.

We will have a better athletic department as a result of last week's decision.

And for those who don't know, I was one of the alumni on our AD's advisory panel that evaluated our entire athletic portfolio a couple of years ago.

As much as it regrets me to type this, without an on campus facility, I couldn't look anyone at NU in the eye and said we could compete on a consistent level playing at Parsons Field.

Hofstra has me puzzled. I heard Rabinowitz and Tom Pecora's shill Mike Francesa on WFAN today. This move has basketball and lax written all over it.

Secretly, Tom Pecora is probably doing back flips in his office.

Uncle Buck
December 3rd, 2009, 09:40 PM
If a tree falls in the woods and no one hears it, does it make a sound?

No one at Northeastern "got away" with anything.

In 2007 we went through the "are we going to drop football" song and dance, and we didn't pull the trigger.

If there was a white knight out there, his horse must have gotten lost on his way to Parsons Field from Huntington Ave.

No one cared at NU, that's why it's gone.

We will have a better athletic department as a result of last week's decision.

And for those who don't know, I was one of the alumni on our AD's advisory panel that evaluated our entire athletic portfolio a couple of years ago.

As much as it regrets me to type this, without an on campus facility, I couldn't look anyone at NU in the eye and said we could compete on a consistent level playing at Parsons Field.

Hofstra has me puzzled. I heard Rabinowitz and Tom Pecora's shill Mike Francesa on WFAN today. This move has basketball and lax written all over it.

Secretly, Tom Pecora is probably doing back flips in his office.

You couldn't be more correct IMO.

Uncle Buck
December 3rd, 2009, 09:44 PM

Honestly, i'm really hoping a number of the kids, especially the local one's like Maysonet and Probst come out to SBU. I would love to see them through the next 2-3 years. Probst would absolutely be your starter, no knock, but SBU would benefit. Add in Weaver at WR, Anthony Nelson, man, SBU could really beef up their program combining the two teams. There is a lot of talent down at HU, Priore should go after it since most of the kids are young or basically at the same stage as bringing in a juco kid.

From what i hear, total chatter for now, Brock Jackolski is talking to Rutgers and Steven Medard a Rfr DT from Amityville will be coming to SBU.

At least my commute to the stadium is easier.

SpikeDawg
December 3rd, 2009, 10:16 PM
Another secession???

Redwyn
December 3rd, 2009, 10:54 PM
Honestly, i'm really hoping a number of the kids, especially the local one's like Maysonet and Probst come out to SBU. I would love to see them through the next 2-3 years. Probst would absolutely be your starter, no knock, but SBU would benefit. Add in Weaver at WR, Anthony Nelson, man, SBU could really beef up their program combining the two teams. There is a lot of talent down at HU, Priore should go after it since most of the kids are young or basically at the same stage as bringing in a juco kid.

From what i hear, total chatter for now, Brock Jackolski is talking to Rutgers and Steven Medard a Rfr DT from Amityville will be coming to SBU.

At least my commute to the stadium is easier.

The more the better. Hofstra is a VERY talented program. This could very well be amounting to a playoff season with a strong group coming off from redshirt at SBU and the second group transferring. Looking forward to it :)

And while the circumstances are pretty horrible, glad to have you Uncle Buck!

Bull Fan
December 3rd, 2009, 11:05 PM
I cannot fathom watching the young Dutchmen suiting up for SBU.

Question: I know he doesn't lose a year if he transfers to another I-AA school, but If Jackolski moves over to Rutgers, does he need to sit out a year under these circumstances?

JALMOND
December 4th, 2009, 01:06 AM
Simple. If Portland State dropped football or made the long anticipated move (by Ducks and Beavers fans) to the WAC, I would still be here as a fan of the Big Sky Conference and the FCS. I just would not have a horse in the race.

Maybe start a campaign for Western Oregon to the Big Sky.

Torgo
December 4th, 2009, 05:25 AM
I'd be sincerely confused as to why the biggest cash cow in the state was dropped for no reason.

NHwildEcat
December 4th, 2009, 05:56 AM
Do you ever say anything in this forum that doesn't pick apart the thread topics?

At a great number of schools in the South football pays the bills and keeps sports that don't make any profit going. You gotta figure in advertising here.........

I am sure you are right. But the northeast is a different breed in regards to college football. It just doesn't make big bucks up here if any at all. This is an area where we tend to support pro sports more so and therefore you see more hardcore support in that regard for pro sports.

Torgo
December 4th, 2009, 06:12 AM
I am sure you are right. But the northeast is a different breed in regards to college football. It just doesn't make big bucks up here if any at all. This is an area where we tend to support pro sports more so and therefore you see more hardcore support in that regard for pro sports.

Growing up in Pittsburgh...this is 100% true. Schools like Duquesne and Robert Morris will never be more than 18th page news in Pittsburgh. Hell, the city's interest in Pitt is entirely gauged on how much success the school is having at [insert sport here]. Even when Pitt is in March Madness and the only other sport going on in the city is Penguins hockey the Penguins and Steelers will dominate the sports news with the Pirates running along the same clip.

But when you have all the professional sports teams that are in the northeast its understandable. Penn State is pretty much an oasis of consistent fan fervor in a region of 'what have you done for me lately' with college football. Basketball is a different story, but there aren't as many professional teams in the region as there are football (6 NFL teams in the traditional northeastern boundaries with the Browns, Redskins, and Ravens right outside to 4 NBA teams with the Cavaliers and Wizards right outside).

JMU Newbill
December 4th, 2009, 06:40 AM
If JMU dropped football today, I would cry my eyes out..... and I would still root against ASU!

UncleSam
December 4th, 2009, 07:41 AM
I'd buy season tickets to Navy, (my favorite FBS school) bit the bullet and make the one hour plus drive to Annapolis five or six times a year.

Hoseinexile07
December 4th, 2009, 08:08 AM
1. Cry
2. Demand the resignation of the president and all the Trustees
3. Refocus all football loyalties to my other favorite team, the USC Gamecocks
4. Slash the tires on PC's president's car
5. Cheer harder for PC soccer and hoops

LUHawker
December 4th, 2009, 08:51 AM
I'd probably take the hint. They've already kicked my fraternity off of campus. Without football there wouldn't be much left at Lafayette to which I could relate. As I've said before, I'm not the sort that would return to campus to see how how far the engineering department's concrete canoe travels in this year's Geek-a-palooza.

Well, well, well, look who has finally shown his avatar! Apparently you can dish it out, but come crow-eating time, no where to be seen.

Lots of talking the talk and no walking the walk. Maybe next year you'll wise up and dial back the arrogance - OTOH probably not.

Bogus Megapardus
December 4th, 2009, 08:57 AM
Well, well, well, look who has finally shown his avatar! Apparently you can dish it out, but come crow-eating time, no where to be seen.

Lots of talking the talk and no walking the walk. Maybe next year you'll wise up and dial back the arrogance - OTOH probably not.

P94 and I were busy finishing our new hit record so that it could be out in time for Christmas. It's called "Four-and-Seven." Wait 'till you listen. You'll like it, I'm sure.

Pard94
December 4th, 2009, 09:38 AM

Oh thank you so much for your pearls of wisdom Hawker. I'll try to keep in mind that I should "dial back the arrogance" to achieve your level of wisdom. Didn't realize it was considered "wise" to post like a p*ssy leading up to the game and only grow some b*lls when and if you manage to win. Here I am Hawker. Hijack the thread and sling some insults if you want. Fact of the matter is your team clawed and scraped their way to medocrity this year. In truth you had a lot of help from our team. For whatever reason we played down to your level and handed you the victory. I hope and pray your mediocre finish was enough for your program to re-sign Coen to a long term deal. It probably will be as mediocrity is the new gold standard over in Bethlehem as evidenced by how happy you all seem to be with your 4-7 finish. As for "walking the walk"...well none of us our in a position to do that for our programs anymore. We can only "talk the talk". Unless of course you are a Lehigh fan in which case you leave it to a select two or three to do all the work and only show your face if you win. I did "walk the walk" for four years though. Did you? If not spare me the "walk the walk" anaology.

PhoenixMan
December 4th, 2009, 09:45 AM
If Elon dropped football....last Saturday after the disappointing end to the UR game I would have been on board with it. Highly pis$$ed and disappointed. However, a few hours later...I was fine, and reflecting on a good season and a first time trip to the playoffs. I wouldn't have to do anything if they dropped....some of those old codger Elon alumni that are at every sporting event and donating money would take care of it for me:-)

89Hen
December 4th, 2009, 10:02 AM
What would you do?
Lower my blood pressure by 40-50 points during the fall. xsmiley_wix

LUHawker
December 4th, 2009, 10:03 AM
Oh thank you so much for your pearls of wisdom Hawker. I'll try to keep in mind that I should "dial back the arrogance" to achieve your level of wisdom. Didn't realize it was considered "wise" to post like a p*ssy leading up to the game and only grow some b*lls when and if you manage to win. Here I am Hawker. Hijack the thread and sling some insults if you want. Fact of the matter is your team clawed and scraped their way to medocrity this year. In truth you had a lot of help from our team. For whatever reason we played down to your level and handed you the victory. I hope and pray your mediocre finish was enough for your program to re-sign Coen to a long term deal. It probably will be as mediocrity is the new gold standard over in Bethlehem as evidenced by how happy you all seem to be with your 4-7 finish. As for "walking the walk"...well none of us our in a position to do that for our programs anymore. We can only "talk the talk". Unless of course you are a Lehigh fan in which case you leave it to a select two or three to do all the work and only show your face if you win. I did "walk the walk" for four years though. Did you? If not spare me the "walk the walk" anaology.

First of all, too busy to post much leading up to L-L, I'll try to be more visible next year. Go back and check prior years, I'm here.

Keep harping on Lehigh's mediocre season if it makes the pain of losing again to a supposedly "inferior" Lehigh team.

LC weak down the stretch two years in a row.

Pard94
December 4th, 2009, 10:10 AM
First of all, too busy to post much leading up to L-L, I'll try to be more visible next year. Go back and check prior years, I'm here.

Keep harping on Lehigh's mediocre season if it makes the pain of losing again to a supposedly "inferior" Lehigh team.

LC weak down the stretch two years in a row.

Yeah well I'm not inclined to listen to your "after the game" smack until you can free up some time in your busy schedule to actually show some b*lls BEFORE the matter is settled.

And by the way...I'm not suggesting your team was mediocre...your team's 4-7 record is. Next year you guys should be daring and shoot for 5-6.

Lehigh weak for 7 out of 11 weeks.

LUHawker
December 4th, 2009, 10:33 AM
Yeah well I'm not inclined to listen to your "after the game" smack until you can free up some time in your busy schedule to actually show some b*lls BEFORE the matter is settled.

And by the way...I'm not suggesting your team was mediocre...your team's 4-7 record is. Next year you guys should be daring and shoot for 5-6.

Lehigh weak for 7 out of 11 weeks.

The acerbic tone in practically all of your posts doesn't engender any interest in continuing dialogue with you, particularly as you seem to require me to free up time to banter with you. Sorry - you aren't worth it.

Pard94
December 4th, 2009, 10:36 AM
The acerbic tone in practically all of your posts doesn't engender any interest in continuing dialogue with you, particularly as you seem to require me to free up time to banter with you. Sorry - you aren't worth it.

I'll try not to lose any sleep over your little boycott of me.

mineral griz
December 4th, 2009, 11:02 AM
Griz fans would move to NW Montana and N IDAHO join the red neck revolutionists, arm themselves, come back to Missoula and stage the Battle of the Little Big Horn, we would prevail and football in Montana would be back.

Kymermosst
December 4th, 2009, 12:00 PM
I think if UMass cut football, the first outcry would be from the team, and the second from the band. They would be axing not one, but two significant recruiting/publicity tools, and I don't think any elected official in their right mind would want to oversee that fallout. (The joys of public schools!)

If they did cut football, I very well may have to disown UMass. Thankfully, I don't see that happening, because that thought is too painful.

And as far as Hofstra goes, I'm here on a Grad Assistantship, so I do office work and they pay for my degree. If I were paying to go here, I would already be filling out transfer applications.

Since I'm not one for coasting through, and I'd rather actually accomplish something, I'd rather they keep football and let us all work toward improving it. Realistically though, my job, and my budget, will get much easier now.

BloomHusky'01
December 4th, 2009, 12:19 PM
It would depend on the conditions and the process that the school went through before making the final decision. If, before cutting the program, they made an effort to reach out to alumni, sponsors, donors, etc to try to raise money and awareness it would be a lot easier to accept the decision. If they informed people that it was being considered, and made an effort to get people involved but still found it unsustainable, I would hate it but accept it. Unfortunately, in most situations the announcement is made before anyone has a chance to mobilize efforts to save it.

Pard94
December 4th, 2009, 12:31 PM
It would depend on the conditions and the process that the school went through before making the final decision. If, before cutting the program, they made an effort to reach out to alumni, sponsors, donors, etc to try to raise money and awareness it would be a lot easier to accept the decision. If they informed people that it was being considered, and made an effort to get people involved but still found it unsustainable, I would hate it but accept it. Unfortunately, in most situations the announcement is made before anyone has a chance to mobilize efforts to save it.

In all fairness...Lafayette had an idiot President about a decade ago that very publically announced a "study" to explore the various options around football...specifically, a move to Div.III. It killed our recruiting efforts for the better part of the next decade. For all intents and purposes such public pronouncements render a program "dead man walking" status.

Old Cage
December 4th, 2009, 12:43 PM
I make the two hour each way drive to campus abut 15 times a year. The trips are divided up among football, hoops, hockey and lacrosse. I love it when there is a doubleheader (football at one and hockey at seven as an example).

If there were no football, I would shed a tear, but still make the same number of campus runs. My group might have to buy some cold weather tailgate gear, but we would carry on. We do tailgate now for lax.

Our AD says football is safe, and I believe him. I've been bashed here before for wanting CAA football to implode because I like driving to away games within reach, but I have no idea what might happen next. Now, losing two more northeast teams,
I believe the interest of UMass fans will lessen even more.

I know the guys south of us don't understand, but more people might be worried about the future of our 350 person marching band than about football. Their halftime show and post-game concert draw a lot of the folks who come to football. I wonder how the tuba guys would do on the ice between periods?

TheBisonator
December 4th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Wouldn't happen at NDSU. Football (though struggling recently) is what makes up most of our athletic department's revenue. Being the department's flagship sport, it would be akin to putting a gun to your mouth and pulling the trigger if we ever dropped football. Plus, we're at the bare minimum of number of sports for DI, so we'd have to add a sport that has 63 mens scholarships, and even hockey would not do the trick. So basically, I don't think it's even financially feasible at NDSU to get rid of football.

84Griz
December 4th, 2009, 01:54 PM
I'd be sincerely confused as to why the biggest cash cow in the state was dropped for no reason.

Yeah, how would King George balance the budget if he could not suck all the money out of football.

andy7171
December 4th, 2009, 02:06 PM
I'd buy season tickets to Navy, (my favorite FBS school) bit the bullet and make the one hour plus drive to Annapolis five or six times a year.
I with you. I could never bring myself to actually root for the Twerps, but I got no problem being a Navy fan. That stadium is SO cool!

g-webb1994
December 7th, 2009, 09:38 AM
Yeah I'd be pissed if G-W dropped football, but I would wonder if the money savings involved would actually help lead to an actual endowment of some sort that was worth a damn.

woffordgrad94
September 16th, 2010, 09:27 AM
If Wofford dropped football, I think the basketball team would benefit greatly from the extra money available and we'd get to the point to where we were good in that sport every year. Plus, our baseball team might actually get some funding and some more scholarships and be ableto actually put a decent product on the field. Soccer would have more to work with, too. So while football is a great game and I love Wofford football, it really eats up the athletic funding and scholarship money at a small school like Wofford, and dropping it would have pros, not just cons.

Bogus Megapardus
September 16th, 2010, 09:30 AM
dropping it would have pros, not just cons.

And to think our head coach actually send his son to your school. xsmhx

WestCoastAggie
September 16th, 2010, 09:43 AM
This is a question that more & more schools have to ask themselves today, specially those schools that are struggling to have their athletic departments break even year after year.

If A&T or Murray State dropped football, I would be sad.

woffordgrad94
September 16th, 2010, 09:52 AM
I know it's hard for you "football only" people (like Bogus might be) to see, but there are other sports on campus. I love football at Wofford- and, relax, it is NOT going away- but the question was IF your school dropped football- and I answered it as truthfully as I could. I would be sad to see football go in many respects, but as I said there are other sports to follow.

Bogus Megapardus
September 16th, 2010, 10:09 AM
I know it's hard for you "football only" people (like Bogus might be) to see, but there are other sports on campus.

For many students lacrosse, baseball, basketball, soccer and field hockey are bigger sports at Lafayette than is football. How many FCS schools support NCAA varsity fencing for example? Even crew and equestrian have followings. Our lacrosse and field hockey teams regularly outdraw some FCS football teams. Lafayette is a really bad example if you want to pick a place that has a "football-only" mentality. Having said that, football helps define and shape the image of the school and separate it from more than a hundred other similarly-sized colleges in the northeast. At this level you need football for the others to thrive.

SalukiJim
September 16th, 2010, 10:16 AM

Now let's not go getting all extreme here, let's see if I can talk you off of the ledge!

T-Dog
September 16th, 2010, 10:36 AM
Honestly, there would be a riot at App St if it happened. Not some college kids punching stop signs, but grown men, probably with guns, raising an insurrection.

Go...gate
September 16th, 2010, 10:47 AM
Colgate would never get another penny from me.

In addition, I think I'd probably redouble my fan support for Princeton and also take up rooting for Lehigh, Lafayette and Monmouth. Once you get hooked on football at this level, walking away is out of the question.

Uncle Buck
September 16th, 2010, 10:53 AM
Good god, i can't believe this thread resurfaced. I can tell you thins, it STILL SUCKS WITH NO TEAM!!!! Problem is, the apathetic student body doesn't give a ***** about anything but hair gel and clubbing while the admin do what they want to fill personal agenda items. Sure there are other sports, but for Hofstra, it was the success of football in the mid 90's and early 2000 as well as the NFL alum who brought notoriety to the athletic program. They won't see a dime of my money until the crooked president is gone and the board of trustees along with him. I hope the university goes down in flames and i hope all of their sports fail miserably if that's what it takes to get some heat on people.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
September 16th, 2010, 11:18 AM
As an alum of a university who dropped football in the past few years (ETSU), I feel your pain. My transformation into an ASU football fan was complete when ETSU poocanned their football program at the close of their final season. Adding insult to injury came a few years later when an ETSU football alumni club wanted to host a banquet at ETSU featuring Mike Smith (Atlanta Falcons HC) as their speaker, only to be denied for some Barbara Streisand reasons. The reasons they dropped the program to begin with was complete Barbara Streisand. The school paper made a comment that other SoCon schools (Chattanooga, in particular) was looking to can football (and we all know how that went). My belief is that as long as Stanton (ETSU president)/Mullins (ETSU AD) are in charge, football will never come back at ETSU.

NHwildEcat
September 16th, 2010, 11:46 AM
If UNH were to get rid of football, I would start watching me some Ivy ball and throw my support behind Dartmouth. NH love.

Smitty
September 16th, 2010, 11:47 AM
Honestly wonder why the idea didn't come up a while ago. Although I wouldn't support it at all, how long can you stand to be bad?

NovaWildcat
September 16th, 2010, 11:59 AM
Good god, i can't believe this thread resurfaced. I can tell you thins, it STILL SUCKS WITH NO TEAM!!!! Problem is, the apathetic student body doesn't give a ***** about anything but hair gel and clubbing while the admin do what they want to fill personal agenda items. Sure there are other sports, but for Hofstra, it was the success of football in the mid 90's and early 2000 as well as the NFL alum who brought notoriety to the athletic program. They won't see a dime of my money until the crooked president is gone and the board of trustees along with him. I hope the university goes down in flames and i hope all of their sports fail miserably if that's what it takes to get some heat on people.

Very interesting post, Uncle Buck. Personally when I think of Hofstra athletics, it does seem larger than a lot of its rival schools. Chrebet, Colston, Speedy Claxton and of course Jay Wright all come to mind. I didn't follow FCS in Hofstra's prime, but from everything I read it seems as if it was an extremely solid program (and, Athletic Dept. in general judging by its BBALL which I'm more familiar with.

asknoquarter21
September 16th, 2010, 12:29 PM
Honestly wonder why the idea didn't come up a while ago. Although I wouldn't support it at all, how long can you stand to be bad?

haha, stop the bleeding right?

Bam
September 16th, 2010, 12:45 PM

I would hire EKU's current OC to the company ("waste mangement") I work for & then send him on a long vacation.

Uncle Buck
September 16th, 2010, 01:19 PM
Very interesting post, Uncle Buck. Personally when I think of Hofstra athletics, it does seem larger than a lot of its rival schools. Chrebet, Colston, Speedy Claxton and of course Jay Wright all come to mind. I didn't follow FCS in Hofstra's prime, but from everything I read it seems as if it was an extremely solid program (and, Athletic Dept. in general judging by its BBALL which I'm more familiar with.

from 94-2001 the football team was a regular in the top 25 with five playoff appearances and in addition to Chrebet & Colston, it produced other pro players like OT Dave Fiore (49ers), OT Demingo Graham (Chargers), FS Lance Schulters (49ers & Pro Bowler), OT Willie Colon (Steelers), all starters in the NFL. Also, a QB who was the Payton runner up and drafted in the third round, HC Raheem Morris (Bucs), and these are just guys from those years. We have others who also went on to play in the NFL as well. Hoops was garbage back in the 90's and football was the sport in the spotlight. It's amazing how a university can change direction so radically under a self-serving sport hating president.

letsgopards04
September 16th, 2010, 02:12 PM
Armed insurrection would become the only palatable alternative.

I will be there with you. There is place for small college football and that place is Fisher Stadium.

49RFootballNow
September 16th, 2010, 03:12 PM
Just as an FYI for those that said they'd quit financially supporting their team's athletics department if they killed the football programs. Of our current 3500 Football Seat License holders at Charlotte, 75% have NEVER contributed to 49er Athletics before football started. I'm one of that 75%.

Twentysix
September 16th, 2010, 03:31 PM
I would assume thats because the North Dakota bison have jumped beyond the collegiate level straight into the NFL.

Go...gate
September 16th, 2010, 03:35 PM
I said this on another thread, but the Southern schools have it all over everyone else in this regard. At Southern colleges and universities, football is a unifying force which brings back alums and helps broad-based institutional development. Yes, the team will lose money. But lots of alums go back to alma mater, remember their own halcyon days, and when those Annual Giving letters come in the mail, they participate again and again.