PDA

View Full Version : Gardner-Webb Recruiting Thoughts

elcid83
December 3rd, 2009, 08:32 AM
Well, since we didn’t make the playoffs, it’s now time for the Runnin’ Bulldogs to focus on recruiting. In putting this together, please understand that I have no direct input from the coaching staff. I have simply looked at the list of graduating seniors to see what spots are being left behind and then looked at various websites to see where kids are listed who may have an interest in Gardner-Webb. It is important to note that, on reflection, very nearly all of the graduating seniors were significant contributors to our program this past year and they are going to be missed. Saying that, we are also blessed with some very experienced underclassmen who should be able to lead us to future success.

I have neither the time nor the ability to go through the process of looking at film and making a personal evaluation of these potential recruits and I will trust our coaches to do that for us. My purpose in making this post is to see if anyone has any information to add that may be helpful to understanding what is going on with Gardner-Webb recruiting.

In looking at the roster, we graduate 1 QB, 3 RBs, 1 WR, 3 DBs, 4 LBs, 4 DLs, and 3 OLs.

These are the High School seniors I have found who are expressing interest in Gardner-Webb.
QB - Joey Carter, Ben Lippen HS
QB- Jack Lambert, Woodruff HS
QB - David Larson, Concord 1st Assembly HS, 6’3”, 225lbs
QB - Lee Schurlknight, The Byrnes School (Darlington)
RB - Kevin Jeter, Gastonia Forestview HS, 5’7.5”, 150 lbs
RB - Stephen Miller, Monroe Piedmont HS, 5’9”, 190lbs
OL - McKenzie Cook, Gastonia Forestview HS, 6’4”, 245lbs
OL - Tyler Davis, Concord Robinson HS, 6’2.5”, 295lbs
OL – Jacob McQueen, South Pointe HS, 6’4”, 260lbs [Verbally Committed to GWU]
OL - Kane Sherrill, Lake Norman HS, 6’2”, 270lbs
OL - Mitchell Simpson, Monroe Piedmont HS, 6’5”, 280lbs
DL - Tyler DeStefani, Carolina Pride HS, 6’3”, 195
DE - Jay Mozee, East Mecklenburg HS, 5’11”, 200lbs
DE - Alex Zimmerman, Providence Day, 6’3”, 195lbs
LB - Geno Porter, Fort Dorchester HS, 6’1”, 203lbs
CB - Jawan Taylor, Gastonia Forestview HS, 5’7”, 150lbs
CB - Tyler Walker, Fort Dorchester HS, 5’10”, 170 lbs
P - Patrick Fish, Burns HS, 6’0”, 175 lbs – [Fish is the son of former Gardner-Webb head coach Woody Fish. Patrick has been offered and has verbally committed to USC]

Please share what you know about what is going on in the world of Gardner-Webb recruiting.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs001.snc3/10832_1186028204864_1053041569_30496050_5799565_n. jpg

drm7336
December 3rd, 2009, 12:20 PM
I can tell you that GW was at South Pointe yesterday and they are expressing interest in at least one of our RB's. CeCe Jones. Great kid and one heck of a back that has been over shadowed by Quentin Darby and the fact that we didn't run the ball like we should have this year. Don't know if there is anyone else they were inquiring about.

drm7336
December 3rd, 2009, 12:29 PM
http://www.athletevault.com/index.php?id=1527 (http://http://www.athletevault.com/index.php?id=1527)

Cece's Highlight Link

EagleDawg
December 3rd, 2009, 02:28 PM
If last year's recruiting class is any indicator, most of the recruits were not listed on sites or within publications and appeared on the radar in mid-December to early Jan. It's good to have secured the verbal from Jacob McQueen to fill one of the OL recruit slots and would expect they'll take at least 3 or 4 more as OL depth is a definite need. They certainly will need to add a couple of interior DL, a couple of RB/WB with speed and big play ability, a LB or two and a couple of DB's. As for QB's, I would expect you always look to add one but J. Rock and C. Browning along with Grissett give them a young core at QB. Hopefully, there will be news before the end of the year but you gotta think the picture won't start to clear until mid to late Jan.

It's certainly hard to be patient and after one Saturday without a game and corresponding tailgate, I already miss it and am anxiously awaiting the spring game. Hope my fellow Runnin Bulldogs enjoyed Thanksgiving and here's wishing you all a Merry Christmas. One last thing, with both Hofstra and Northeastern dropping football, I wonder if some of their players would be a good fit and have interest in GWU as transfers? May be a BCS transfer or two out there too, you never know, Liberty seems to take a couple every year and so does Coastal.

g-webb1994
December 4th, 2009, 12:18 AM
Can't see us offering to another QB with the good three we already have in place. Build that depth on both sides of the line of scrimmage instead.

Don't know if we could get any Hofstra or NE players, and outside of Willy Korn, not any FBS players on the radar yet.

Y'all have a great holiday season too.....going to be a long year in hoops, although the G-W women have started off well.....

bulldogdad
December 4th, 2009, 09:52 PM
Roland Johnson 6'0" 235lb noseguard from Byrnes(Duncan, SC) has an offer from GW. He is a stud. Leads the team in tackles(154), sacks(14) and tackles for loss(27). Not real big but very strong and quick.

elcid83
December 5th, 2009, 01:47 PM
God to hear. Hope we can get some more of that Byrnes talent to make the short trip to Boiling Springs - how about Marcus Lattimore?

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs021.snc3/10832_1195618684620_1053041569_30517404_156225_n.j pg

bulldogdad
December 5th, 2009, 05:02 PM
I think he is South Carolina bound. Jake Lambert the QB from Woodruff has impressive numbers. Over 3,000 yards passing and over 40 TD.

wilddog96
December 5th, 2009, 09:02 PM
I have seen Lambert in action and he is the real deal.

EagleDawg
December 7th, 2009, 06:29 PM
I posted the following last year in the 2009 Gardner-Webb recruiting thread:

"One last thing. I found that Wofford has offered a QB from Jupiter Christian HS in Florida, a 2010 kid. GWU needs to take a long look at this QB, Marshyl Rothman. He's a little undersized but with one year of HS ball left, he has led his team to 2 consecutive state championships. Take a look at his film on YouTube and Rivals, he looks like the 2nd coming of Doug Flutie. I'd hate to have to chase that guy around for 4 quarters and he throws a really nice ball. I believe the Dawgs currently have an OL, Webber that played at Jupiter Christian so there may be some opportunities there."

As for this season's recruiting, did I hear someone say that GW may be losing one of the underclassmen QB's via transfer leaving GW with two QB's on the roster. If true GW would need to bring in another QB. I looked the Rothman kid up and he currently holds offers from Wofford and Lehigh based on the lastest info on Rivals. I wouldn't be surprised if GW maybe makes a play here, especially with the Kyle Webber connection. Each of the current GW QB's on the roster for 2010 show a lot of potential but it never hurts to have really good depth and intersquad competition.

Any GW QB recruit will share one thing in common with the returning GW QB's, none will have played a single complete game at the collegiate level. The Rothman kid is a bit undersized but his film and play making speaks for itself. I'm not sure how he would fare in Wofford's Wing-bone, run 90% of the time offense as opposed to the GW spread attack but there have been plenty of gun slingers of smaller stature get it done at the FCS and BCS level. I'm also not clear what offense Lehigh runs but for a kid from the warm state of Florida, GW would be closer to home and a bit warmer than those cold winters in PA.

Any other Bulldog followers have anything else new?

Mountaineer#96
December 9th, 2009, 08:09 AM
God to hear. Hope we can get some more of that Byrnes talent to make the short trip to Boiling Springs - how about Marcus Lattimore?

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs021.snc3/10832_1195618684620_1053041569_30517404_156225_n.j pg

I know ASU usually goes down there and taps into the market.......

drm7336
December 15th, 2009, 09:41 AM
Per my sources there are several on this list that the Staff is going after. Will give more details as I get them.

The SCVarsity.com 2009 Superlative selections are underway and this week, we'll be bringing you multiple categories of the top players in the state. One of the category breakdowns is our Area Code - All-Area Teams. Here's a look at the "864 All-Area Football Team" from SCVarsity.com.

In the Area Code Teams, we select five players from each skill position on offense, eight offensive linement, ten defensive linemen (five DE's and five DT's), and four athletes (two offensive, two defensive). Only one specialty (K/P) is selected from each area code.

POS
PLAYER TEAM
OFFENSE

QB Dylan Thompson Boiling Springs HS
QB Jake Lambert Woodruff HS
QB Chas Dodd Byrnes HS
QB Justin Worley Northwestern HS
QB Johnny Foster Dorman HS
RB Marcus Lattimore Byrnes HS
RB Taviouzie Booker Clinton HS
RB Jamal Tyler Rock Hill HS
RB Quinton Darby South Pointe HS
RB Max Elliott Clover HS
OL Logan Stewart Boiling Springs HS
OL James Costello Gaffney HS
OL Matt Ashley Belton-Honea Path
OL Shaq Simmons Wren HS
OL Taylor Hudson Mauldin HS
OL Jacob McQueen South Pointe HS (GW Commit)
OL Jared O'Shields Union County HS
OL Michael Palmer Palmetto HS
WR Charon Peake Dorman HS
WR Chris Hall Greenville HS
WR Martavius Bryant T.L. Hanna HS
WR Jazz King Byrnes HS
WR Robert Joseph Northwestern HS
K Rubin Perez Laurens HS
ATH Jatavious Stewart Rock Hill HS
ATH Joe Craig Gaffney HS
DEFENSE
DT Kelcy Quarles Greenwood HS
DT Jawaan Smith J.L. Mann
DT De'Shawn Williams Daniel HS
DT Gerald Dixon Northwestern HS
DT Jalen Hunter Seneca HS
DE Cory Miller Byrnes HS
DE Brandon Willis Byrnes HS
DE Jadavion Clowney South Pointe HS
DE Mike Rose Hillcrest HS
DE Andrew Bailey Dorman HS
LB Jake Nicolopulos T.L. Hanna HS
LB Carson Smith Mauldin HS
LB Andre Whitmire Spartanburg HS
LB Brandon Williams Northwestern HS
LB Adam Holbrooks West Oak HS
DB Deandre Hopkins Daniel HS
DB Pat Martin J.L. Mann HS
DB Xavier McFadden Rock Hill HS
DB Brandon Rice Woodruff HS
DB Zack Miller Byrnes HS
ATH Jeremiah McKie Mauldin HS
ATH Okoya Houston Woodmont HS

EagleDawg
December 18th, 2009, 06:57 AM
QB Marshyl Rothman a potential GWU QB recruit has now has committed to Cornell. If GWU is looking to add a QB in this class where do you think they'll look? Any new info. on O-line and D-line recruiting?

g-webb1994
December 18th, 2009, 06:14 PM
Any other FBS transfers besides Korn out there? Paulus from UNC just announced this afternoon he is going to transfer to William and Mary, so he is off the list.