PDA

View Full Version : Villanova-UNH Matchups

Hoyadestroya85
December 1st, 2009, 09:47 PM
I spent a decent amount of time doint this for my blog so I figured I'd just put it here (everyone else did so why not.) If you want something more in depth, here it is (http://novafacts.blogspot.com/2009/12/villanova-versus-unh-game-deux-preview.html) and in case you missed it, here's part one of the preview (http://novafacts.blogspot.com/2009/11/villanova-unh-game-deux-revenge-or.html).

Ok Here we go:

Offense

QB- Villanova: Whitney had a great season and Toman can be inconsistent.
RB- Push/Villanova: Last game, Angelo Babbaro our RB 1B was out with turf toe so i think he tilts it slightly in Villanova's favor.
WR- Villanova: Villanova has maybe the deepest receiving corps in the CAA, maybe even in the whole country.
TE- UNH: Not even close.. by far the easiest position to pick. Scott Sicko is a MAN.
OL- Villanova: Ijalana is an All American, Clouser is underrated, Brannigan is very very good, Bugli is one strong guy and Shirey has done a very good job. UNH O-Line has been inconsistent.

Defense

DL- UNH (If Healthy): Villanova probably has the best overall D-Lineman in the game in Tim Kukucka, but our others are just guys at this point. If Steve Young is healthy this would be a resounding win for UNH.
LB- Villanova: I honestly think the combination of Osunde, Kirkland and Thomas is the best in the nation. The first linebacker off the bench (Jacob Wade) is a hell of a player as well.
DB- Push/UNH: Dino Vasso tilts it in favor of UNH as well as the league leading pass efficiency defense but it doesn't do enough to negate Villanova's run support on defense.
Special Teams- Push/Villanova- UNH would have this if it wasn't for Matt Szczur, but having CAA special teams Player of the year means something.

Intangibles- Villanova: No travel and 17-1 in last 18 home games.

Wildcat80
December 1st, 2009, 09:56 PM
Nice analysis. Boy if these two teams played I could bet my house on nova and be a rich man. NOT! UNH will DO IT AGAIN!!!

smcwildcat
December 1st, 2009, 10:39 PM
best wrs in the countryy?????
and idk about rb u guys are good but kackert is what football is all about baby

Hoyadestroya85
December 1st, 2009, 10:44 PM
best wrs in the countryy?????
and idk about rb u guys are good but kackert is what football is all about baby

Aaron Ball Ran for over 1,000 yards last year.. Re: the wide receivers I said deepest.. they're not the best, but the talent drop off from 3-6 isn't that big.

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 2nd, 2009, 06:22 AM
Nice job on the match ups...

Just a couple points

1) Don't sell UNH LBs short. I've only seen Villanova play one game so I'm not going to get into a who's better thing. I know you've been high on Villanova's backers all season. UNH LBs are very good this season.

2) I believe this game will be won or lost from tackle to tackle.
Who's O-line can give their QB time and open holes for the run game.
Can a d-line pressure the QB with out sending extra rushers?
Can they keep the o-line off the backers allowing them to make plays?

One note, the play from tackle to tackle is always my key to the game:D

Gordon Shumway
December 2nd, 2009, 07:08 AM
I only got to see three UNH games on TV here in Florida this year, but one thing was incredibly obvious to me. They are lacking a true outside/downfield threat. The WR's looked very pedestrian. The only player I saw that looked to have any real "giddyup" in his step was Joey Orlando, who didn't seem to be on the field very much. I fear when the final chapter is written to this season, there will be a lot of wondering about what might have been if Terrance Fox had not been so selfish and dumb.

BTW, does anyone know if he stayed in school, and will be back next year?

NHwildEcat
December 2nd, 2009, 07:17 AM
I only got to see three UNH games on TV here in Florida this year, but one thing was incredibly obvious to me. They are lacking a true outside/downfield threat. The WR's looked very pedestrian. The only player I saw that looked to have any real "giddyup" in his step was Joey Orlando, who didn't seem to be on the field very much. I fear when the final chapter is written to this season, there will be a lot of wondering about what might have been if Terrance Fox had not been so selfish and dumb.

As of late Orlando's number has been called more often. And he has been producing, so hopefully that carries over into the game.

WrenFGun
December 2nd, 2009, 07:32 AM
I don't really disagree with any of the assessment, TBH. Most strongly I would say that UNH has good depth at most positions. At receiver, Negron, Wright, Orlando, Mangieri and Mason are all unspectacularly reliable (though Mason has a penchant for the dropsies from time to time). Only Orlando and Mangieri are really threats to take it to the house, though. Their best WR, Terrance Fox, was suspended for the season.

Our LB's are two of the best in the country, but Villanova's are, too...I might lean push/Villanova there, but I also might lean push on the DL.

jlcharles
December 2nd, 2009, 10:02 AM
Is Chidozie done?

wideright82
December 2nd, 2009, 10:17 AM
Is Chidozie done?

from what I have heard... yes

UNH Fanboi
December 2nd, 2009, 10:41 AM
Let's not forget about UNH's placekicker Tom "Super" Manning

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 2nd, 2009, 10:57 AM
Is Chidozie done?

I've read quotes from Talley saying yes. And that they're considering taking the redshirt off a freshman.

jlcharles
December 2nd, 2009, 11:07 AM
I thought that whoever replaced him after he went down did a good job. So, I'm not sure I'd want to pull a redshirt off someone.

Hoyadestroya85
December 2nd, 2009, 12:34 PM
Chidozie tore his ACL in the last game so he is unquestionably done.. Bugli filled in nicely at right tackle and so did Dan Shirey playing right guard. I'd only take the redshirt off of Bucci in an absolute numbers emergency.

Will
December 2nd, 2009, 12:45 PM
I fear when the final chapter is written to this season, there will be a lot of wondering about what might have been if Terrance Fox had not been so selfish and dumb.

What exactly did he get suspended for?

Good question.

UNH Fanboi
December 2nd, 2009, 12:49 PM
What exactly did he get suspended for?

Steroids

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 2nd, 2009, 12:56 PM
Steroids

I thought it was an illegal supplement that was not a steriod.
Something that he had gotten over the counter?

UNH72Plus
December 2nd, 2009, 01:14 PM
I spent a decent amount of time doint this for my blog so I figured I'd just put it here (everyone else did so why not.) If you want something more in depth, here it is (http://novafacts.blogspot.com/2009/12/villanova-versus-unh-game-deux-preview.html) and in case you missed it, here's part one of the preview (http://novafacts.blogspot.com/2009/11/villanova-unh-game-deux-revenge-or.html).

Ok Here we go:

Offense

QB- Villanova: Whitney had a great season and Toman can be inconsistent.
RB- Push/Villanova: Last game, Angelo Babbaro our RB 1B was out with turf toe so i think he tilts it slightly in Villanova's favor.
WR- Villanova: Villanova has maybe the deepest receiving corps in the CAA, maybe even in the whole country.
TE- UNH: Not even close.. by far the easiest position to pick. Scott Sicko is a MAN.
OL- Villanova: Ijalana is an All American, Clouser is underrated, Brannigan is very very good, Bugli is one strong guy and Shirey has done a very good job. UNH O-Line has been inconsistent.

Defense

DL- UNH (If Healthy): Villanova probably has the best overall D-Lineman in the game in Tim Kukucka, but our others are just guys at this point. If Steve Young is healthy this would be a resounding win for UNH.
LB- Villanova: I honestly think the combination of Osunde, Kirkland and Thomas is the best in the nation. The first linebacker off the bench (Jacob Wade) is a hell of a player as well.
DB- Push/UNH: Dino Vasso tilts it in favor of UNH as well as the league leading pass efficiency defense but it doesn't do enough to negate Villanova's run support on defense.
Special Teams- Push/Villanova- UNH would have this if it wasn't for Matt Szczur, but having CAA special teams Player of the year means something.

Intangibles- Villanova: No travel and 17-1 in last 18 home games.

You got it right as far a consistency goes. If the offensive line can play like they did at McNeese State and Toman can avoid the dumb interceptions, they can play with anybody in the FCS. That assumes that the OC doesn't decide to run off tackle on every first down!

In the four games Nova has played against playoff teams (NH, W&M, Richmond, & HC) they've has problems defending against the pass, giving up over 320 yards per game. UNH had 292 yards passing against them in Durham, throwing into a strong wind for two quarters.

Whitney has a good QB rating, but has only passed for >200 three times. He also has only 4 interceptions, but UNH is tied for #2 in the FCS in that department. The D has to contain the running game (not an easy task), finish their tackles, and avoid stupid penalties.

Any way you look at it, the two teams match up well, and it should be a good game. The two intangibles I see are the home field advantage (not usually an issue with UNH) and the weather (a cold, rainy day favors Nova's running game).

Hoyadestroya85
December 2nd, 2009, 01:22 PM
If you see the games that whitney has thrown for 200 yards those were usually games where the way the opponent was playing us dictated that he throw for 200+ yards.. Our game plan on offense is to run the ball until you stop us and our defensive gameplan is to stop the run and force you to pass (sometimes it backfires.) The William and Mary game and the Richmond game we gave up such big passing numbers because we were ahead most of the game and stifled the other team's running games so big passing yardage outputs are a reality unfortunately. What we did do against both of those teams is force turnovers.. I believe we picked off Archer three times and Ward Twice. We also surrendered 400 yards to Devlin but we picked him off three times. We give up a lot of yardage on defense but we usually hold the opposing team well in the red zone.

The Big Key to this game is: How well each offense scores in the red zone and how well the defenses hold in the red zone and field position.. both teams return kicks well, Villanova covers kicks well and UNH is about average in that area.

UNH Fanboi
December 2nd, 2009, 01:39 PM

I don't think the specific substance was ever disclosed, but I heard through the grapevine that it was steroids. I should have mentioned in my original post that I wasn't sure.

Hoyadestroya85
December 2nd, 2009, 01:50 PM
Isn't use of an illegal performance enhancing substance an automatic loss of a year of eligiblity?

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 2nd, 2009, 01:54 PM
Isn't use of an illegal performance enhancing substance an automatic loss of a year of eligiblity?

yes, but I think he would still have eligiblity left

mcveyrl
December 2nd, 2009, 02:01 PM
Chidozie tore his ACL in the last game so he is unquestionably done.. Bugli filled in nicely at right tackle and so did Dan Shirey playing right guard. I'd only take the redshirt off of Bucci in an absolute numbers emergency.

I think you can take a redshirt off, but as long as you don't use them during a game, it's still good. That's how we played with a backup QB when Dudzik went out.

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 2nd, 2009, 02:08 PM
I think you can take a redshirt off, but as long as you don't use them during a game, it's still good. That's how we played with a backup QB when Dudzik went out.

Dress him and hope you don't need him

Cats02
December 2nd, 2009, 02:15 PM

From what I've heard, he still works out at the fieldhouse on his own and is eligible to play next season. I also heard that it was an illegal supplement banned by the NCAA, not steroids.

Gordon Shumway
December 2nd, 2009, 02:24 PM
From what I've heard, he still works out at the fieldhouse on his own and is eligible to play next season. I also heard that it was an illegal supplement banned by the NCAA, not steroids.

If that is case, then losing his scholarship for the fall semester, and sticking it out seems to speak well for him.

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 2nd, 2009, 02:36 PM
Agreed

Hoyadestroya85
December 2nd, 2009, 03:45 PM

That was how Villanova planned to use Whitney his freshman year after the backup at the time quit the team. Unfortunately, Antwon Young was hurt and we had to pull Whitney from his redshirt. Generally you dress all of your quarterbacks though in case of an emergency.. Villanova will probably have at least four dressed for this game. The same thing doesn't apply to offensive linemen though.

WSBE
December 2nd, 2009, 04:18 PM
That was how Villanova planned to use Whitney his freshman year after the backup at the time quit the team. Unfortunately, Antwon Young was hurt and we had to pull Whitney from his redshirt. Generally you dress all of your quarterbacks though in case of an emergency.. Villanova will probably have at least four dressed for this game. The same thing doesn't apply to offensive linemen though.

Can you imagine if UNH could have redshirted Sicko? I know Coach Mac wanted to....he will be missed...fun to watch

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 2nd, 2009, 04:25 PM

We dressed a couple true freshmen O-line last year. Luckly we never had to play them.

WSBE
December 2nd, 2009, 04:26 PM
I think it was already mentioned but Tom Manning is so key to this game.....it was a bummer to see the 50+ get blocked against McNeese but perhaps that was a good trial....his leg & the ability to kick the long ones....could determine the outcome of the game. I also see UNH defensive ends having a lot of impact from a match-up perspective....with Whitney, Szucur & the skill players....UNH must contain & cannot get beat around the corners. I do think UNH is the underdog but 11 points? I think for UNH to get beat badly, Toman would have to have one of his bad games....but I'm loving his confidence right now...he's more mobile & I think the play calling is giving him more space & open targets.

unhfan1
December 2nd, 2009, 05:16 PM
I think the skill position players are even on both sides. Key will be the line play.
If UNH stops the run I see a W for the boys. If Nova can get to Toman, Nova wins.

ngineer
December 2nd, 2009, 07:38 PM
I'm going with Villanova, but I'd take the 11 points. I'm figuring 34-28.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 2nd, 2009, 07:41 PM

yes, but I think he would still have eligiblity left

Yes, as ycUNHf said, he was penalized a year of eligibility this year while sitting out. Otherwise without the substance penalty, he'd have two years left since he never redshirted. I found a roster from last year and he was listed as a sophomore. One more year of eligibility left.

UNHAlum
December 2nd, 2009, 09:16 PM

It was an illegal supplement, not a steroid.

UNHAlum
December 2nd, 2009, 09:18 PM
Plenty of supplements are illegal which Im sure you can find on the NCAA site for a list, but for example, too much caffeine will test positive as a drug test fail. This list will include a majority of products inside GNC (obviously not the whey proteins and such but most capsules)

Hoyadestroya85
December 2nd, 2009, 09:46 PM
It's really very irresponsible on the player's part if they test positive for anything on the banned substance list, they should check before they put anything in their body. If it was a Villanova kid who did that, I'd be upset.

smcwildcat
December 2nd, 2009, 09:48 PM
i wont get into it bc its the past but bottom line he shouldnt of taken it...i heard he didnt know if it was ok or not he got it from a friend

wideright82
December 3rd, 2009, 08:33 AM
i wont get into it bc its the past but bottom line he shouldnt of taken it...i heard he didnt know if it was ok or not he got it from a friend

We asked our strength coach before taking anything. And I mean anything, from protein drinks to creatine. Everything is checked first so that something like this doesn't happen. He knew what he was doing and didn't think he'd get caught. That's just my .02 though. xthumbsupx

UncleSam
December 3rd, 2009, 08:48 AM
Nova 28 UNH 17

jlcharles
December 3rd, 2009, 10:49 AM
I love seeing all the different ways people spell Szczur.

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 3rd, 2009, 10:51 AM
I love seeing all the different ways people spell Szczur.

Spell it...I can't even say it.

CAAisBOSS
December 3rd, 2009, 10:52 AM
Maybe Toman will throw the game because he will be scared for his life if UNH has to play WM again

WrenFGun
December 3rd, 2009, 10:56 AM
Maybe Toman will throw the game because he will be scared for his life if UNH has to play WM again

...we lost by 3 on a FG with 2:52 to go. xeyebrowx

CAAisBOSS
December 3rd, 2009, 10:57 AM
not a serious post but i wasnt talking about the score or closeness of the game... Toman was getting crushed the whole game.

UNHFootballAlum
December 3rd, 2009, 11:05 AM

If there is a rematch, it might be at UNH

CAAisBOSS
December 3rd, 2009, 11:08 AM
That wouldnt make any sense... same record, hear-to-head... but where ever it is would be a good one! lets get thru the Quarters first!

UNHWILDCATS05
December 3rd, 2009, 11:11 AM
That wouldnt make any sense... same record, hear-to-head... but where ever it is would be a good one! lets get thru the Quarters first!

That doesn't matter... all that matters is $$$ and W+M has way more of it...

jlcharles
December 3rd, 2009, 11:13 AM
Spell it...I can't even say it.

Pronounced Caesar. Just like Julius.

UNHFootballAlum
December 3rd, 2009, 11:16 AM

It's all about the bids. if both win, it will be all about how much money UNH & WM bid.

WrenFGun
December 3rd, 2009, 11:17 AM
It's all about the bids. if both win, it will be all about how much money UNH & WM bid.

...Yes, which is 100% a home game for W&M.

wideright82
December 3rd, 2009, 11:19 AM

xlolxxlolxxnodx

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 3rd, 2009, 11:21 AM
Pronounced Caesar. Just like Julius.

I know what it sounds like. I heard it over the loud speaker all day.

I just can't bring my self to say it.

Hoyadestroya85
December 3rd, 2009, 11:33 AM
Szczur was in my math class a couple years ago.. the first day, the professor pronounced it "Shizur" It's incredible that you can have a six letter last name with two Zs yet only one vowel.

wideright82
December 3rd, 2009, 11:53 AM
Szczur was in my math class a couple years ago.. the first day, the professor pronounced it "Shizur" It's incredible that you can have a six letter last name with two Zs yet only one vowel.

I just assumed it was spelled phonetically for about 2 weeks before I looked at his locker tag.... then said... "who the ****'s locker is that?!"

Cats02
December 3rd, 2009, 06:12 PM

UNH can't afford any kind of a stadium upgrade, let alone a bid for a home playoff game. As long as Cowell Stadium is the way it is (don't get me wrong I love the feel of it), the Cats will be hard pressed to ever get a home playoff game unless they're seeded. ESPN hates Cowell because of its lack of amenities and technology needed for a TV broadcast.

WSBE
December 5th, 2009, 09:04 AM
I'm not sure if this is the right thread but I'm surprised no one has discussed this yet - it's supposed to be 38degrees & 100% chance of rain/snow for this game!! Who does this benefit? I think it must give the edge to Nova given their weapons on the ground & size advantage in the trenches. I can't see how this helps Toman's accuracy issues or the smaller, speedy Kackert. thoughts?

UNH Fanboi
December 5th, 2009, 09:25 AM
I'm not sure if this is the right thread but I'm surprised no one has discussed this yet - it's supposed to be 38degrees & 100% chance of rain/snow for this game!! Who does this benefit? I think it must give the edge to Nova given their weapons on the ground & size advantage in the trenches. I can't see how this helps Toman's accuracy issues or the smaller, speedy Kackert. thoughts?

I think it favors Nova, but not by that much. UNH has a great defense this year and can hold their own in a defensive battle. My biggest concern is the punting game, especially if there is a particularly strong wind in one direction. And let's not forget that wet, slippery conditions can sometimes open up big pass plays. It's a lot easier to not slip and fall if you know where you're going. A WR knows where he's going, but a cornerback does not. I really hope UNH doesn't abandon the passing game just cause of the weather. They have to keep the Nova defense guessing.

UNHlund
December 5th, 2009, 12:08 PM
I'm not being entirely sarcastic when I ask if New Hampshire's punting could get much worse. Seems like Nova's punter has more to lose to poor conditions. We've won plenty of games with bad punting.

Now the FG kicking game is a bigger concern to me. Manning's long leg is a real asset, especially in the final minutes...