PDA

View Full Version : Payton Finalists Announced

TexasTerror
November 30th, 2009, 06:36 PM
The Payton Award voting was tabulated and the finalists were announced...it looks like I got my top two picks in the final three in Karim and Edwards.

I had Randolph at No. 3, Moses at No. 4 and Nichols at No. 5. So, I got four of the top five with my "homer" pick of Moses (though he is deserving of some recognition) the lone outsider.

The three finalists: Armanti Edwards (Appalachian State), Terrell Hudgins (Elon) and Deji Karim (Southern Illinois). And the tabulations...courtesy of http://64.246.64.33/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=4270802

NAME (SCHOOL)………………………1st..2nd..3rd..4th..5th…Total
Armanti Edwards (Appalachian State)
Terrell Hudgins (Elon)
Deji Karim (Southern Illinois)
Matt Nichols (Eastern Washington)…… 12…16….9…12….13….188
Dominic Randolph (Holy Cross)…………8…16…14….8….12….174
Ryan Perrilloux (Jacksonville State)…..9….9…11….5….18….142
Jeremy Moses (Stephen F. Austin)………4….7….9…13…..8….109
William Ford (South Carolina State)……3….3….2….2…..2…..39
Michael Herrick (Northern Arizona)…….1….2….3….3…..3…..31
Cameron Higgins (Weber State)…………0….3….3….2…..5…..30
Toddrick Penland (McNeese State)………0….2….4….2…..5…..29
Curtis Pulley (Florida A&M)…………..0….2….3….3…..3…..26
Chase Reynolds (Montana)……………..0….1….3….3…..5…..24
Bryant Lee (Southern)………………..2….0….2….2…..0…..20
Pat Grace (Northern Iowa)…………….0….2….2….1…..2…..18
David Sinisi (Monmouth)………………0….0….1….3…..8…..17
Pat Devlin (Delaware)………………..1….1….1….0…..4…..16
Andre Roberts (The Citadel)…………..0….1….0….2…..5…..13
Trevyn Smith (Weber State)……………0….2….1….0…..1…..12
James Mallory (Central Connecticut St)…0….0….0….4…..2…..10
*Matt Szczur (Villanova)……………..0….2….0….0…..1……9
*Eric Ward (Richmond)………………..0….0….1….1…..1……6
*Scott Riddle (Elon)…………………0….0….1….0…..0……3
*Tim Toone (Weber State)……………..0….0….0….0…..1……1

* - Write-in votes.

siuham
November 30th, 2009, 06:38 PM
Merging threads is fun. :-p

WyomingGrizFan
November 30th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Mark Mariani of Montana should have been on the list at least just for recognition sake. Granted, the other BSC athletes mentioned are all worthy considerations but, Mariani does more for the Griz than all the others have done for their teams. IMHO At least the Griz are still in the FCS Play-offs while the other BSC teams aren't; which should tell you something.

ASU_Fanatic
November 30th, 2009, 06:57 PM
Armanti gonna win.

crusader11
November 30th, 2009, 07:03 PM
Think it's a crime Dom Randolph isn't a finalist. But, I guess that is what happens when you play in the Patriot League. (I am aware Jamaal Branch did as well.)

TexasTerror
November 30th, 2009, 07:06 PM
Think it's a crime Dom Randolph isn't a finalist. But, I guess that is what happens when you play in the Patriot League. (I am aware Jamaal Branch did as well.)

I am surprised the two SoCon guys are there to some degree...

Then I realize the SoCon block may have gone 1-2 either way on those guys. Elon did catch some national notoriety this year.

Hey, give me some credit - I am an SLC guy and I had Randolph at #3. I know what's up in the Patriot! ;)

asknoquarter21
November 30th, 2009, 07:34 PM
AE
Karim
Hudgins

Proud Griz Man
November 30th, 2009, 08:00 PM
Marc Mariani #80 University of Montana

http://archive.montanagrizzlies.com/Football/2008/2008%20Football%20Cards/marc_mariani.jpg

http://archive.montanagrizzlies.com/Football/2007/vs_Northern_/marc_mariani.jpg

http://archive.montanagrizzlies.com/Football/2007/vs_Weber_Sta/marc_mariani.jpg

http://archive.montanagrizzlies.com/Football/2007/vs_Wofford__/marc_mariani.jpg

Mariani should have received more consideration. xbowxxbowxxbowxxbowx

theasushow
November 30th, 2009, 08:08 PM
any chance Hudgins and Edwards "stole" votes from one another being in the same conference?

gbhmt
November 30th, 2009, 08:21 PM
any chance Hudgins and Edwards "stole" votes from one another being in the same conference?

Uhhhh no? That doesn't make any sense.

onbison09
November 30th, 2009, 08:22 PM
How is Pat Paschall not a finalist? :Hide: I mean he was second in the FCS in rushing on a bad team.

gbhmt
November 30th, 2009, 08:26 PM
How is Pat Paschall not a finalist? :Hide: I mean he was second in the FCS in rushing on a bad team.

I was wondering the same thing. Not even on the list... xconfusedx

siuham
November 30th, 2009, 08:26 PM
AE
Karim
Hudgins

Ditto.

70% chance of that

15% chance of Karim, AE, Hudgins
15% chance of Hudgins, AE, Karim

Houndawg
November 30th, 2009, 08:27 PM

xconfusedx I don't see how you replace one of the final three with Paschall. Certainly not AE or Karim. I don't know enough about Hudgins to say but I'm skeptical.

gbhmt
November 30th, 2009, 08:29 PM
xconfusedx I don't see how you replace one of the final three with Paschall. Certainly not AE or Karim. I don't know enough about Hudgins to say but I'm skeptical.

I don't think he should be a finalist by any regards but not on the list? He's outrushed every other RB on the list besides Karim.

Houndawg
November 30th, 2009, 08:32 PM
I don't think he should be a finalist by any regards but not on the list? He's outrushed every other RB on the list besides Karim.

I didn't know he wasn't on the list at all. Definitely an oversight.

Owl Wingman
November 30th, 2009, 08:34 PM

Because he was suspended earlier in the season for getting into a fight.

Hoyadestroya85
November 30th, 2009, 08:35 PM
It is a CRIME that Matt Szczur, Eric Ward and Scott Riddle weren't even on the ballot..

whoanellie
November 30th, 2009, 09:15 PM
All I wanted was to have Terrell Hudgins aka "T-Mobile" some consideration
for the Payton.
I am very pleased he has become a finalist. He like so many others at this division are very talented and can play at the next level. I think Jerry Rice's NFL records are untouchable. To see his NCAA marks eclipsed is truly remarkable. Plus He's a great guy.

onbison09
November 30th, 2009, 09:45 PM
Because he was suspended earlier in the season for getting into a fight.

Yeah I knew that. I didn't know the finalists were just the final three but he should be on the list at least.

siuham
November 30th, 2009, 10:15 PM
It is a CRIME that Matt Szczur, Eric Ward and Scott Riddle weren't even on the ballot..

How does 488 yards and 4 TD's stack with the rest of the finalists?

Edit: serious question, I don't feel like doing the legwork.

Elon Fightin' Christians
November 30th, 2009, 11:16 PM
(from elonphoenix.com)

A LOOK AT TERRELL HUDGINS’ RECORDS

NCAA Records
• 207 – combined receptions in one season (FCS record with former teammate Michael Mayers in 2007)
• 395 – career receptions (all NCAA Division I record)
• 123 – receptions in a season (done in 2009; FCS record)
• 8.8 – career receptions per game (FCS record)
• 5,250 – career receiving yards (all NCAA Division I record)
• 116.7 – career average yards gained receiving per game (FCS record)
• 28 – career games gaining 100 or more yards receiving (all NCAA Division I record)
• 1.2 – career touchdown passes caught per game (ties FCS record)
• 34 – career games with a touchdown catch (FCS record)
• 4 – career 1,000-yard receiving seasons (all NCAA Division I record)

SoCon Records
• 10 – games in a season with 100 or more receiving yards (done in 2009)
• 5 – consecutive games with 100 or more receiving yards (done once in 2006 and twice in 2009)
• 2,538 – combined receiving yards in a season (with former teammate Michael Mayers in 2007)
• 3 – career 200 or more receiving yard games (tied)
• 52 – career receiving touchdowns
• 1,633 – receiving yards in a season (done in 2009)

Elon Records
• 16 – receptions in a game (vs. Liberty and at Furman in 2007; at Furman in 2009)
• 4 – touchdown receptions in a game (vs. Liberty in 2007)
• 18 – touchdown receptions in a season (2007)

Hoyadestroya85
November 30th, 2009, 11:20 PM

It isn't his numbers as much as it's his ability to break open a game

Stat Line (includes playoffs.. i didn't feel like editing it off)

Passing:
3/3 for 21 yards and 2 TDs

Rushing:

79 Rushes for 522 Yards (6.6 yards per rush) and 6 TDs

Receiving:

43 Catches for 488 Yards (11.3 ypc) 4 TDs

Special Teams:

27.28 yards per kick return (fourth in the nation) and one touchdown.. Teams really haven't been kicking to him lately either

Plays on every single special teams coverage unit and has 7 special teams tackles.

All purpose

141 Yards per game (14th in the nation.) Again, teams really stopped kicking the ball to him, electing to kick it short and give up the yards.

He was also CAA Offensive and Special Teams Player of the Year.. that has to count for SOMETHING.

so I guess his numbers individually aren't eyepopping but if you can find a player in america who does more things than Matt Szczur (by the way he's the only player in america this season AT ANY LEVEL to rush for a touchdown, throw for two touchdowns, return a kick for a touchdown and catch a touchdown) at such a high level, then I'll give this a reprieve, but the fact that he isn't even on the ballot is absolutely absurd (and apparently a few others thought that, because they wrote him in.)

Elon Fightin' Christians
November 30th, 2009, 11:28 PM

Hudgins had 12 rec 167 yrds 1 TD vs Richmond. average day for him....

Hoyadestroya85
November 30th, 2009, 11:33 PM

See: above

siuham
November 30th, 2009, 11:49 PM
See: above

I figured there was more to the stat-line that ESPN showed than his receiving yards, but I was busy tonight.

gbhmt
December 1st, 2009, 12:23 AM

You'd expect it considering he gets a million touches a game.

seantaylor
December 1st, 2009, 05:17 AM
Hudgens if I had to vote. Even though Eloan is a fraud, that cat has put up monster numbers.

gophoenix
December 1st, 2009, 06:13 AM
Hudgens if I had to vote. Even though Eloan is a fraud, that cat has put up monster numbers.

How is Elon a fraud?

We've torched your school. And the polls and computer polls don't lie.

AllForAppState
December 1st, 2009, 06:35 AM
I think Hudgins is even more impressive that he can rack up those numbers even taking every other play off to tend to some injury or catch his breath...

appmaj
December 1st, 2009, 06:36 AM
AE

PhoenixMan
December 1st, 2009, 07:06 AM

A fraud? I don't put down GSU. Their program has a great history.....key word being HISTORY. As in the past...used to be good...formerly competitive, etc. 3 in a row the fraud has beat GSU. When, and if, you manage to beat us again I'll listen to your banter more seriously.

HiHiYikas
December 1st, 2009, 07:16 AM
That AE edged out Hudgins for SoCon POTY is a good sign for those of us who would like to see AE win it.

It would be nice to see the SoCon go 1-2, and it would be nice to see Hudgins finish higher than any WR for 20 years.

PhoenixMan
December 1st, 2009, 07:21 AM
That AE edged out Hudgins for SoCon POTY is a good sign for those of us who would like to see AE win it.

It would be nice to see the SoCon go 1-2, and it would be nice to see Hudgins finish higher than any WR for 20 years.

Being an Elon fan I would, of course, love to see TH win it. However, this award belongs to Armanti. No one else, at least that I have seen in person, can take over a game like that guy. Give him the award that he earned, and good riddance. I love watching him, but not when he is beating my team!

Houndawg
December 1st, 2009, 07:24 AM
It isn't his numbers as much as it's his ability to break open a game

Stat Line (includes playoffs.. i didn't feel like editing it off)

Passing:
3/3 for 21 yards and 2 TDs

Rushing:

79 Rushes for 522 Yards (6.6 yards per rush) and 6 TDs

Receiving:

43 Catches for 488 Yards (11.3 ypc) 4 TDs

Special Teams:

27.28 yards per kick return (fourth in the nation) and one touchdown.. Teams really haven't been kicking to him lately either

Plays on every single special teams coverage unit and has 7 special teams tackles.

All purpose

141 Yards per game (14th in the nation.) Again, teams really stopped kicking the ball to him, electing to kick it short and give up the yards.

He was also CAA Offensive and Special Teams Player of the Year.. that has to count for SOMETHING.

so I guess his numbers individually aren't eyepopping but if you can find a player in america who does more things than Matt Szczur (by the way he's the only player in america this season AT ANY LEVEL to rush for a touchdown, throw for two touchdowns, return a kick for a touchdown and catch a touchdown) at such a high level, then I'll give this a reprieve, but the fact that he isn't even on the ballot is absolutely absurd (and apparently a few others thought that, because they wrote him in.)

All of the finalists are pretty good at that, too.

ElonPride
December 1st, 2009, 08:06 AM
All I wanted was to have Terrell Hudgins aka "T-Mobile" some consideration
for the Payton.
I am very pleased he has become a finalist. He like so many others at this division are very talented and can play at the next level. I think Jerry Rice's NFL records are untouchable. To see his NCAA marks eclipsed is truly remarkable. Plus He's a great guy.

Hudgins now owns 10 NCAA records.

Combined receptions in one season (shared with former Elon WR Michael Mayers)
Career receptions (all D-I record)
Receptions in a single season (FCS record)
career receptions per game (FCS record)
Career receving yards (all D-I record)
career average yards gained receiving per game (FCS record)
career games gaining 100 or more yards receiving (all NCAA Division I record)
career touchdown passes caught per game (ties FCS record)
career games with a touchdown catch (FCS record)
career 1,000-yard receiving seasons (all NCAA Division I record)

Glad to see he is a finalist!

Saint3333
December 1st, 2009, 08:15 AM
Any one have a break down of Hudgins production vs. 2009 by opponent?

SpeedkingATL
December 1st, 2009, 08:24 AM
I'm glad to see Hudgins get the recognition he deserves. He has had a monster year and a monster career. Amazing he had those stats this year when everyone in the stadium knew Riddle was looking to him on 75% of their plays. ( I also think that was a limiting factor when Elon played really good teams; too dependant on Hudgins).

I still think AE wins it again. of course I'm a homer and have seen him play much more that the other candidates. I hope to see him play 3 more games!xthumbsupx

ElonPride
December 1st, 2009, 08:56 AM
Any one have a break down of Hudgins production vs. 2009 by opponent?

DC - 7 receptions 156 yards 3 TDS
PC - 11 receptions 134 yards 2 tds
Wake - 13 receptions 113 yards 1 td
GSU - 12 receptions 138 yards 0 tds
Furman - 16 receptions 209 yards 1 td
El Cid - 6 receptions 65 yards 1 td
UTC - 6 receptions 74 yards 3 tds
Wofford - 11 receptions 153 yards 3 tds
WCU - 8 receptions 153 yards 1 td
App - 10 receptions 127 yards 0 tds
Samford- 11 receptions 144 yards 1 td
Richmond - 12 receptions 167 yards 1 td

WVAPPmountaineer
December 1st, 2009, 09:05 AM
Armanti should win the award as he has the ball in his hands every offensive snap and Hudgins should finish second - I'm sure the RB from So Ill is very good but AE and Hudgins are the two most dynamic players in the country ----

trouthunter
December 1st, 2009, 09:47 AM
I have always wondered how many members of these types of selection committees have actually played the game at a high level.

It seems rather hard to argue with most of the points/rational listed on this post.

Saint3333
December 1st, 2009, 10:39 AM
AE
Hudgins
Karim

It's been stated before, but I think it is so much harder to win the award as a RB or WR. All three were the best at their respective positions this year, but AE averaged 330 yards a game and was responsible for 26 TDs with only 3 INTs and he is your 2009 WP award winner. The only reason he doesn't get IMO is if the voters don't want to give it the same player back to back years, which has happened before just ask AP.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 1st, 2009, 10:54 AM

Randolph's second "moral victory" in a week. :( Still, he got a a lot of recognition though.

PhoenixPhan06
December 1st, 2009, 10:58 AM
Terrell Hudgins left it all out on the field every game and I couldn't be more proud that he's an Elon Phoenix!!

ur2k
December 1st, 2009, 10:58 AM

At least some folks were smart enough to write them in. Can't say the same for the committee of one responsible for putting the watch list together.

PhoenixMan
December 1st, 2009, 11:09 AM
Terrell Hudgins left it all out on the field every game and I couldn't be more proud that he's an Elon Phoenix!!

I'm with you on that......or more concerned that he is no longer an active Elon Phoenix. We'll find someone else to step up, but TH is a once in a lifetime kind of performer.

Hoyadestroya85
December 1st, 2009, 12:39 PM
All of the finalists are pretty good at that, too.

I'm not saying that he should be a finalist.. all i'm saying is that he should have been on the ballot. The person with the best numbers isn't always the most outstanding player in college football, if that was the case, the kid from Boise state would end up winning the heisman this year. Why does a kid from Monmouth get to be on the list when the best players from both the current CAA champion and the defending national champion are not on the list.

soccerguy315
December 1st, 2009, 12:39 PM
^ east coast bias

Elon Fightin' Christians
December 1st, 2009, 01:51 PM

I couldn't be more proud that he's an Elon Fightin' Christian !!! xthumbsupx

Thank You T-Mobile . Good luck in the NFL.

fightingphoenix
December 1st, 2009, 02:16 PM
I find it interesting that every team that plays Elon says "we are going to have to limit Hudgins." I have seen him make catches when he is double and triple covered. Not sure who will win the Award but all three are very deserving.

WVAPPmountaineer
December 1st, 2009, 02:27 PM
^ east coast bias

Since this is the time of year that this discussion has more meat and people are debating who the '09 winners should be - I have a question that goes back a few years - There seems to be an opinion that there is an east-coast bias - maybe true, I don't know - HOWEVER - in '04, '05 and '06 the Defensive POY award (Buchanon) went to Cal-Poly players - Now I am absolutely not trying to diminish the talent and worthiness of the 3 recipients whatsoever - BUT, I would assume that during that 3 year period all 3 guys played at the same time and for 2 years two of them played at the same time - Why did Cal-Poly not ever do anything nationally with the 3 best defensive players in the country on the same team? ----

PhoenixMan
December 1st, 2009, 02:37 PM
T Mobile!!xbowx

I have already posted that I think AE is deserving of this award, and I know it's based on performance THIS season alone. Just wondering...in looking at all the career NCAA Div. 1 records (meaning in all of college football) does that carry some weight with the committee? Is AE the all time leader in college football in any statistical category...not smack, I have the utmost respect for AE, just wondering.

WVAPPmountaineer
December 1st, 2009, 03:11 PM
T Mobile!!xbowx

I have already posted that I think AE is deserving of this award, and I know it's based on performance THIS season alone. Just wondering...in looking at all the career NCAA Div. 1 records (meaning in all of college football) does that carry some weight with the committee? Is AE the all time leader in college football in any statistical category...not smack, I have the utmost respect for AE, just wondering.

Not sure about records - but he is the ONLY QB in the history of NCAA Division 1 football to pass for 9000 yards and rush for 4000 - He passed Brad Smith of Missouri who is the only other one to do 8000/4000 ----

PhoenixPhan
December 1st, 2009, 04:45 PM
Armanti should win the award as he has the ball in his hands every offensive snap and Hudgins should finish second - I'm sure the RB from So Ill is very good but AE and Hudgins are the two most dynamic players in the country ----

I think that logic could also be used for Hudgins to win and AE second. Someone on another thread tried to compare AE and Hudgins numbers, which makes no sense. Edwards has the ball every time it is snapped. Hudgins has fewer chances to make plays, but he always does. No disrespect to what AE has done, just think that argument can go both ways.

whoanellie
December 1st, 2009, 05:21 PM

It would be nice to see the SoCon go 1-2, and it would be nice to see Hudgins finish higher than any WR for 20 years. hard to believe but I agree with you. That being said, who votes on the award?

soccerguy315
December 1st, 2009, 05:28 PM
hard to believe but I agree with you. That being said, who votes on the award?

I think the award is decided by the amount of posts on AGS that support each individual. xnodx

AppAlum2003
December 1st, 2009, 05:29 PM
I think the award is decided by the amount of posts on AGS that support each individual. xnodx

If that's the case, then, congrats Marc Mariani! xthumbsupx

gbhmt
December 1st, 2009, 06:37 PM

Hahah yeah right. I don't know if there's even 1% of posts by App posters that don't mention AE. He's always somehow incorporated into the conversation.

WVAPPmountaineer
December 1st, 2009, 06:58 PM
hard to believe but I agree with you. That being said, who votes on the award?

CIA, NSA, FBI ???? - who knows????

Hoyadestroya85
December 1st, 2009, 08:06 PM
Just because somebody has the best stats does not mean that they're the "most dynamic" or "the best" take Colt Brennan for example: he threw 58 touchdown passes in one season playing in a gadget offense. Does that make his 2006 season the greatest or the most dynamic in the history of college football. If you're going to go on numbers alone (Elon fans) then Ramses Barden should have won a couple Payton awards due to the number of Catches, Yards, his insane yards per reception average and the number of touchdowns he had. All I'm saying is that it's very very very difficult to justify giving the award to a receiver (which is why only one has won the award.) Armanti Edwards is the most outstanding player in FCS college football, he should win.

PhoenixPhan
December 1st, 2009, 08:59 PM
Just because somebody has the best stats does not mean that they're the "most dynamic" or "the best" take Colt Brennan for example: he threw 58 touchdown passes in one season playing in a gadget offense. Does that make his 2006 season the greatest or the most dynamic in the history of college football. If you're going to go on numbers alone (Elon fans) then Ramses Barden should have won a couple Payton awards due to the number of Catches, Yards, his insane yards per reception average and the number of touchdowns he had. All I'm saying is that it's very very very difficult to justify giving the award to a receiver (which is why only one has won the award.) Armanti Edwards is the most outstanding player in FCS college football, he should win.

I don't think we are basing this on numbers alone. If you're using "dynamic" as the standard, I don't think you get more dynamic than a receiver who can catch balls in double coverage and break tackles like no other. The only reason it is hard to justify award a WR is because that isn't how it has been done historically. For me, Hudgins outstanding numbers got him noticed enough to be in contention, but it is his innate abilities and ridiculous way of always taking what he is given and making it into something huge.

I can't ignore AEs talent, and I am by no means bashing that. He is an incredibly talented QB and I have no doubt that he will finish either first or a close second. The Payton just gives us the incredibly hard task of comparing perhaps the best ever FCS QB and perhaps the best ever FCS receiverr. I feel like it will mostly come down to a popularity contest of sorts and the vote for the position that historically takes it, which probably means that Edwards will win. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Hudgins, but we'll see!

grizband
December 1st, 2009, 09:46 PM
I'm sorry, but Hudgins career records should not nothing to do with this season award. Tmobile, for my Elon friends, has had an amazing career, but not achievements outside of this year should even be considered when voting for this award. Sadly, this is not the case, of Nichols of EWU would have been given more consideration.

AshevilleApp
December 1st, 2009, 09:51 PM
Hahah yeah right. I don't know if there's even 1% of posts by App posters that don't mention AE. He's always somehow incorporated into the conversation.

What ArE you talking about!

Proud Griz Man
December 1st, 2009, 10:00 PM

Thanks for reminding me !!

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/billingsgazette.com/content/tncms/assets/editorial/b/f6/d7a/bf6d7a4e-de46-11de-8a1f-001cc4c03286.image.jpg?_dc=1259650633

PhoenixMan
December 1st, 2009, 10:53 PM
I'm sorry, but Hudgins career records should not nothing to do with this season award. Tmobile, for my Elon friends, has had an amazing career, but not achievements outside of this year should even be considered when voting for this award. Sadly, this is not the case, of Nichols of EWU would have been given more consideration.

He has all the FCS records (receptions, yardage, and TD's) for this season also. They can vote on those stats for just this year and justify giving it to him. I said justify, not that they should. AE should win this award, but when you look at all the records for TH you go wow. Glad I got to see him catch a bunch of them!!

Proud Griz Man
December 2nd, 2009, 12:22 AM
Sportscenter Play-of-the-day #4 from last year's FCS championship:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ssfh9fk_TE

Thanks for reminding me !!

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/billingsgazette.com/content/tncms/assets/editorial/b/f6/d7a/bf6d7a4e-de46-11de-8a1f-001cc4c03286.image.jpg?_dc=1259650633

grizzpaw
December 2nd, 2009, 06:13 AM
first AE is more than likely one of the top five players to ever take the field for a fcs team xnodx - no suprise there! that said lets be true to fcs football and let the best player for the YEAR 2009 win this and this year it is NOT AE - sorry ASUxbawlingx! in my view you cannot miss two games and be the best that yearxsmhx. 99 % of the people on this site know it was AE's to lose and not to winxcoffeexxnonono2x

Houndawg
December 2nd, 2009, 06:27 AM
You clowns aren't even aware that there is another finalist that can play pretty well himself.xcoffeex

DLS
December 2nd, 2009, 07:54 AM
first AE is more than likely one of the top five players to ever take the field for a fcs team xnodx - no suprise there! that said lets be true to fcs football and let the best player for the YEAR 2009 win this and this year it is NOT AE - sorry ASUxbawlingx! in my view you cannot miss two games and be the best that yearxsmhx. 99 % of the people on this site know it was AE's to lose and not to winxcoffeexxnonono2x

well you tell me which one of the finalists you think is better and then i'll prove you wrong.

it IS ae xbawlingx

Saint3333
December 2nd, 2009, 08:11 AM
If AE played all 11 games he wins in a landslide. His numbers are equal if not better than the other with 2 less games. Crazy, the kid is the best player in the FCS this year, will he win, I'd say it's 60/40.

AppAlum2003
December 2nd, 2009, 08:13 AM
I think AE should be penalized for getting hit in the knee while passing and for running his foot over with a lawnmower and only missing one game... c'mon, AE, man up!

grizzpaw
December 2nd, 2009, 08:26 AM
i knew i could get the "east coast bias" to show upxlolxxlolxxsmiley_wix!

i have watched a lot of fcs football this year on the net and tv and in my view the person who week in and week out played the best (people on the list) was ......................DEJI KARIMxthumbsupxxwhistlexxbowx he should win the payton this year!

PhoenixMan
December 2nd, 2009, 08:38 AM

i have watched a lot of fcs football this year on the net and tv and in my view the person who week in and week out played the best (people on the list) was ......................DEJI KARIMxthumbsupxxwhistlexxbowx he should win the payton this year!

How many games did you see Hudgins play? If you saw more than two or three you saw him do some things, and make some catches, that leave you with your jaw dropping. AE is the same way, I haven't seen Karim play.

DLS
December 2nd, 2009, 08:54 AM

compare what deji karim did this year with what omar cuff did in 2007 and then look who won.

personally i think if edwards was eligible in 2007 we would be looking at a possible 3rd award for him this year.

Houndawg
December 2nd, 2009, 08:54 AM
AE has great stats, Karim and Huggins don't get the ball on every play. AE will probably get it but I think Karim has a strong case too: he brings more to the table than his rushing title. He's a good receiver, an outstanding return man, he can block. Just like AE he's a threat to score everyy time he touches the ball.

Houndawg
December 2nd, 2009, 09:00 AM
compare what deji karim did this year with what omar cuff did in 2007 and then look who won.

personally i think if edwards was eligible in 2007 we would be looking at a possible 3rd award for him this year.

xconfusedx

Killsback
December 2nd, 2009, 09:07 AM
If AE played all 11 games he wins in a landslide. His numbers are equal if not better than the other with 2 less games. Crazy, the kid is the best player in the FCS this year, will he win, I'd say it's 60/40.

But he didn't..Karim did and his numbers stand out as well.

AppyinVA
December 2nd, 2009, 09:08 AM
AE should get it. Hands down. He may be hurt a little this year, but that hasn't stopped us. It's too bad the new format isn't in place. AE could use a month off before the title game this year.

DLS
December 2nd, 2009, 09:17 AM
xconfusedx

point was that there have been rb's with much better years than karim has had and they still lost so what has karim done that is so special to win it? rb's are at a disadvantage in this race and really have to set themselves apart to win.

deji is great and by far the best rb this year but he aint special.

grizzpaw
December 2nd, 2009, 09:17 AM
the only reason i see ae getting this award is because of the person running the showxcoffeexxnonoxxoopsx! that people is it and his TOTAL love afair with asuxrolleyesx!

Kiss My Apps
December 2nd, 2009, 09:19 AM
He has all the FCS records (receptions, yardage, and TD's) for this season also. They can vote on those stats for just this year and justify giving it to him.

Are you sure about this? Davon Folwkes had 1618 yards (TH - 1633) and 14 receiving TDs (TH-16) in 2004 and I don't remember hearing of him breaking any FCS records.

Saint3333
December 2nd, 2009, 09:53 AM
But he didn't..Karim did and his numbers stand out as well.

Logic suggests that if one player who played in 9 games has equal or greater stats than a player who played 11 games that the player who played in fewer games is better.

PhoenixMan
December 2nd, 2009, 09:54 AM
Are you sure about this? Davon Folwkes had 1618 yards (TH - 1633) and 14 receiving TDs (TH-16) in 2004 and I don't remember hearing of him breaking any FCS records.

You can see all the records below. I stand corrected. The only one that is a season FCS record this year is the 123 catches. I find all of the NCAA Div. 1 records for career mind boggling. When you think about all the great receivers, both FCS and FBS, that have played this game....However, as I have said this award is for this season. AE should win. I can't help but wonder what it would have been like if he had been a QB in college. He was one of the outstanding QB's in NC (1st team all state) at Rocky Mt. High School. And, a shooting guard in basketball....and a shortstop on the baseball team. All conference in all.

WVAPPmountaineer
December 2nd, 2009, 01:17 PM
AE has great stats, Karim and Huggins don't get the ball on every play. AE will probably get it but I think Karim has a strong case too: he brings more to the table than his rushing title. He's a good receiver, an outstanding return man, he can block. Just like AE he's a threat to score everyy time he touches the ball.

Can you tell me how Karim sprung onto the scene? I follow all teams closely as far as key players, etc. and I don't think I remember him prior to this season - did he transfer in? - I know you guys have had some great RBs in the last few years - how does he rank with them? ----

skinny_uncle
December 2nd, 2009, 03:15 PM
Being on a playoff team probably helps.
xnodx

skinny_uncle
December 2nd, 2009, 03:16 PM
Can you tell me how Karim sprung onto the scene? I follow all teams closely as far as key players, etc. and I don't think I remember him prior to this season - did he transfer in? - I know you guys have had some great RBs in the last few years - how does he rank with them? ----
He sat out last year after an injury and knee surgery.

A couple of years ago he was running behind John Randle and Larry Warner and still had almost 400 yards and 8 TDs.

skinny_uncle
December 2nd, 2009, 03:19 PM
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h13/skinny_uncle/dejiseethat-1.jpg

(Credit to Sal Uki of Salukitalk).

DLS
December 2nd, 2009, 03:48 PM
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h13/skinny_uncle/dejiseethat-1.jpg

(Credit to Sal Uki of Salukitalk).

got video?