PDA

View Full Version : SCSU coach Buddy Pough feels confident SCSU will remain in playoffs-no heritage bowl

bosshogg
November 30th, 2009, 01:06 PM
By the way....anyone want a game next year? LOL

Hey Coastal...wann play SCSU?
« on: Today at 02:04:47 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://thetandd.com/blogs/?p=1917

http://www.thetandd.com/bulldogzone/

Looking to fill schedule
November 30th, 2009 by Following the Bulldogs As South Carolina State puts to bed the 2009 season, head coach Oliver ‘Buddy’ Pough is looking to fill two vacancies on the 2010 schedule.

The Bulldogs were suppose to open the season Sept. 4 against Georgia Tech, although school officials remain unsure of the availability of the date because of the ACC. S.C. State will have to replace Winston-Salem State, which is returning to the CIAA, but has no dates available for MEAC newcomer North Carolina-Central.

During Monday’s press conference, Pough said he’s inquired with some of the in-state Football Championship Subdivision schools in hopes of gaining a home game. If based on which school would provide the best draw for Oliver C. Dawson Stadium. I would guess to say Coastal Carolina is atop the list.

This would leave a possible opening for a Southern Conference opponent like a Georgia Southern or a school with Top 25 stature for the Bulldogs to play next season. Such a matchup would more than help S.C. State’s power rankings leading into a playoff appearance next season.

Speaking of the playoffs, Pough does not see a Heritage Bowl occurring next season.

“I think we’ll still have a shot to go to the playoffs,” he said. “I don’t sense the real overall support right now for the Heritage Bowl in a way that I think that we’ll totally turn our back on the playoffs. So, we’ll figure out a way to continue to do what’s best for the overall scheme of things.”

bosshogg
November 30th, 2009, 01:15 PM
thank goodness! NO STUPID HERITAGE BOWL

I hope we schedule Coastal and G southern, or Coastal and wofford, or furman, or some other Big South/SOCON schools.....

blueballs
November 30th, 2009, 01:15 PM
SCSU and GSU should be playing each other every year... it is a natural rivalry due to proximity and both stadiums would be packed every year.

bosshogg
November 30th, 2009, 01:27 PM
SCSU and GSU should be playing each other every year... it is a natural rivalry due to proximity and both stadiums would be packed every year.

I agree with this. All of our fans do. Create some kind of trophy and lets ride down 301!

bluehenbillk
November 30th, 2009, 01:32 PM
What was up with SCST getting play calls in on Saturday?? It seemed to happen way too often that they were scrambling to get the play off before the play clock hit zero.

OL FU
November 30th, 2009, 01:33 PM
thank goodness! NO STUPID HERITAGE BOWL

I hope we schedule Coastal and G southern, or Coastal and wofford, or furman, or some other Big South/SOCON schools.....

It would be great but I think our schedule is full.

We could cancel the PC game, how much money will you pay usxconfusedx

:o:D

bosshogg
November 30th, 2009, 01:34 PM
Our schedule next year

week 1 - Georgia tech (or subsitute )
week 2 - Bethune cookman - home
week 3 - need a game here to replace WSSU)
week 4 - benedict -away
week 5 - Norfolk State - home
week 6 - FAMU -away
week 7 - Hampton - home
week 8 - Delaware State - away
week 9 - Howard - home
week 10 - Morgan State - away
week 11- NC A&T - away

so we have 2 weeks and an open to play with schedule wise. we need to get some Big South or Socon games in those slots.

whoanellie
November 30th, 2009, 01:37 PM
the Elon/ NC A&T was a great rivalry until We started beating A&T ... they gave us credibility and it was a litmus test. gotta love the HBSU bands and pagentry...
maybe A&T can someday challenge in the MEAC but everything runs in cycles as We all know.
Heritage Bowl is a bowl for losers.....

Sly Fox
November 30th, 2009, 01:43 PM
So the dates the Bulldogs are looking for date are on 9/4 & 9/18?

Where is the open date in that schedule that you were referencing?

bosshogg
November 30th, 2009, 01:47 PM
So the dates the Bulldogs are looking for date are on 9/4 & 9/18?

Where is the open date in that schedule that you were referencing?

our open date this year was the week between wssu and bethune cookman

thats 1

then we are looking to replace WSSU since they went down to D 2

thats 2

then we MAY have to replace georgia tech if their schedule changes, and apparently there are indications that it might. if that happens then that would be a 3rd game we need to fill.

will be interesting to see what happens with tech...we have had that game scheduled since 2006

we will have to fill WSSU for sure. What I was saying earlier was that we now have flexibility to move our open game if a the right team has an opening that week.

Sly Fox
November 30th, 2009, 02:18 PM
So potentially you could looking at dates on 9/4, 9/18 & 9/25?

Liberty is contracted to play NCCU on the 18th but the Eagles seem to be doing everything they can to get out of that date. I wouldn't mind our schools playing each other once again. Of course, I wouldn't mind us playing each other every year.

bosshogg
November 30th, 2009, 02:42 PM
So potentially you could looking at dates on 9/4, 9/18 & 9/25?

Liberty is contracted to play NCCU on the 18th but the Eagles seem to be doing everything they can to get out of that date. I wouldn't mind our schools playing each other once again. Of course, I wouldn't mind us playing each other every year.

have your AD call one of these guys

Head Coach Buddy Pough - 803-536-8717

Assistant coach Gerald Harrison - 803-533-3930

mikebigg
November 30th, 2009, 02:51 PM
I sure would like a rematch... your place, our place... maybe neutral site?

bosshogg
November 30th, 2009, 03:03 PM
I sure would like a rematch... your place, our place... maybe neutral site?

have your AD call one of these guys

Head Coach Buddy Pough - 803-536-8717

Assistant coach Gerald Harrison - 803-533-3930

813Jag
November 30th, 2009, 03:23 PM
I'm sure our new coach (xprayx) wouldn't mind playing the Bulldogs again. And knowing the way they move home games, you don't have to worry about that.

SumItUp
November 30th, 2009, 09:25 PM
I hope one of our guys with ties to the football office reads this. I know they are finalizing the schedule right now, but I'd love to see a game against SC State. With the expansion of our stadium to 19K next year (30K within 5 years) and the atmosphere in Orangeburg, I'd like to see that be an annual game for two programs that are rising.

Reign of Terrier
November 30th, 2009, 09:28 PM
Wofford needs one OOC

tribe_pride
November 30th, 2009, 11:54 PM
Your AD should check to see who Northeastern was supposed to play those weekends. Not sure how the CAA is adjusting the schedule for next year but I have to assume that some of those games were set to be OOC so those teams will have an open week.

Pitbull
December 1st, 2009, 05:40 AM
I would like to see a Wofford and Ga Southern game......That would be what's up right there...xthumbsupx Damn...I can't wait too get away from Benedict....xoopsx

The playoff test is on Calculus...we need to stop studying Algebra during the season....this would be a good start...xnodx

bosshogg
December 1st, 2009, 08:29 AM
Your AD should check to see who Northeastern was supposed to play those weekends. Not sure how the CAA is adjusting the schedule for next year but I have to assume that some of those games were set to be OOC so those teams will have an open week.

very good idea

WestCoastAggie
December 1st, 2009, 10:42 AM
I would like to see a Wofford and Ga Southern game......That would be what's up right there...xthumbsupx Damn...I can't wait too get away from Benedict....xoopsx

The playoff test is on Calculus...we need to stop studying Algebra during the season....this would be a good start...xnodx

Y'all should pay Benedict off, again.

bosshogg
December 1st, 2009, 12:01 PM
Y'all should pay Benedict off, again.

we tried....but they wont accept the payoff....for Benedict, we are their biggest game. We will sell out their stadium, and they will probably make a couple uhndred thousand between tickets, parking, and concessions. WE aint payin them that much

we could do it before because it was OUR home game. So they took the 50K and ran. But they wont do that when its THEIR home game.

R.A.
December 1st, 2009, 02:06 PM
we tried....but they wont accept the payoff....for Benedict, we are their biggest game. We will sell out their stadium, and they will probably make a couple uhndred thousand between tickets, parking, and concessions. WE aint payin them that much

we could do it before because it was OUR home game. So they took the 50K and ran. But they wont do that when its THEIR home game.

So, SCSU might just want to get that game ot of the way then.

IF SCSU can get a game versus a Socon to go with their MEAC schedule, then that will be 10 FCS games plus the DII game versus Benedict.

Although I don't like playing DIIs, if SCSU is under contract to play Benedict, just get it out of the way before the Tigers get antsy and push the issue.

Besides, you almost never see an FCS School travel to a DII school. I applaud The Bulldogs for NOT becoming too big and too mighty that they can't travel up to Columbia and play a family type rivalry game with Benedict. xbowxxthumbsupx A game like that would definitely put some much needed money in the pockets of the Tigers, and it's right to have SCSU playing in Benedict's beautiful new stadium.

R.A.
December 1st, 2009, 02:12 PM
And by the way... SCSU having 10 FCS games in 2010, are better than the 9 FCS games the Bulldogs had in 2008, having played Central Florida(FBS), Clemson(FBS), and Benedict(DII) in that season.

WestCoastAggie
December 1st, 2009, 03:38 PM

I hope you guys didn't low ball them. How much is Benedict going to gain financially from the game at their stadium? It couldn't be anymore than $100K.

You all should offer $100,000 from the money received from Ga. Tech. If they don't take that offer, Your AD should tell Buddy to put up 100 on them and make them question ever scheduling you all ever again.

Treat em like UD treats West Chester. Show them no mercy!

WestCoastAggie
December 1st, 2009, 03:42 PM
So, SCSU might just want to get that game ot of the way then.

IF SCSU can get a game versus a Socon to go with their MEAC schedule, then that will be 10 FCS games plus the DII game versus Benedict.

Although I don't like playing DIIs, if SCSU is under contract to play Benedict, just get it out of the way before the Tigers get antsy and push the issue.

Besides, you almost never see an FCS School travel to a DII school. I applaud The Bulldogs for NOT becoming too big and too mighty that they can't travel up to Columbia and play a family type rivalry game with Benedict. xbowxxthumbsupx A game like that would definitely put some much needed money in the pockets of the Tigers, and it's right to have SCSU playing in Benedict's beautiful new stadium.

I am not a fan of D-1 schools going to play schools in a lower division. It may be the big headed of me to feel that way but Athletically, I just look down to the D2 and D3 and NAIA schools. they don't offer as many schollys as we do and they have lessened recruiting rules to follow. they also don't have to spend as much as we have to keep up our facilities and maintain our program.

ASU_Fanatic
December 1st, 2009, 03:49 PM
I would love to play yaw again :)

bosshogg
December 1st, 2009, 04:19 PM
I hope you guys didn't low ball them. How much is Benedict going to gain financially from the game at their stadium? It couldn't be anymore than $100K.

You all should offer $100,000 from the money received from Ga. Tech. If they don't take that offer, Your AD should tell Buddy to put up 100 on them and make them question ever scheduling you all ever again.

Treat em like UD treats West Chester. Show them no mercy!

benedict would not accept that offer. and I agree, we should question scheduling them in the future. Their AD is shady. its never a clean deal with them. My vote is play them once every couple of years. But not every year.