PDA

View Full Version : Richmond...the problem with your coach

bigappfan10
November 30th, 2009, 11:16 AM
is the same problem for a lot of schools in the FCS-He's very talented and it looks like he's the leading candidate for the UVa job according to multiple sources. The other is BSU's Peterson but I doubt he'll get pulled away from such a successful program.

JMU DUUUKES LAW
November 30th, 2009, 12:01 PM
it's going to be Peterson, just trust me on that one

jmufan999
November 30th, 2009, 12:03 PM
they'll go after Peterson first. London would be a great catch though. don't know that UVA will hire him, but i sure would if i was them. just don't want them to take mickey away (they wouldn't want him anyway, he's too much of a good ol' boy for such a snobby school).

bostonspider
November 30th, 2009, 12:11 PM
Could Marshall want Mickey???

SpeedkingATL
November 30th, 2009, 12:36 PM
they'll go after Peterson first. London would be a great catch though. don't know that UVA will hire him, but i sure would if i was them. just don't want them to take mickey away (they wouldn't want him anyway, he's too much of a good ol' boy for such a snobby school).

I would LOVE to see Mickey at UVA! He would have those wine sipping, cheeze eating ACC schools spitting all over themselves. You can love or hate Mickey but he is certainly never ever boring.xsmiley_wix I don't see Marshall as being a huge step up over JMU for Mickey but I bet they contact him.xcoffeex

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 30th, 2009, 12:42 PM
We'll live with whatever happens. If he goes, we have confidence that Jim Miller will find a suitable replacement. Given the new stadium and commitment to the program, I am sure we could appeal to some great candidates.

BloomHusky'01
November 30th, 2009, 12:55 PM
The last time Richmond had to find a new coach it worked out pretty well.

putter
November 30th, 2009, 01:05 PM
I would think London would be the better choice. He is winning at Richmond and knows the area to recruit. I imagine the contacts he has made while at Richmond would help him if he moved to UVA.

Skjellyfetti
November 30th, 2009, 01:26 PM
And the last hot shot Boise State coach hired at a terrible BCS school turned out to be a dud.

bluehenbillk
November 30th, 2009, 01:33 PM
What's Peterson's link with UVA? I wouldn't consider it a step up from Boise IMO.

Franks Tanks
November 30th, 2009, 01:34 PM
is the same problem for a lot of schools in the FCS-He's very talented and it looks like he's the leading candidate for the UVa job according to multiple sources. The other is BSU's Peterson but I doubt he'll get pulled away from such a successful program.

Peterson can do better than UVA

jmufan999
November 30th, 2009, 01:40 PM
I would LOVE to see Mickey at UVA! He would have those wine sipping, cheeze eating ACC schools spitting all over themselves. You can love or hate Mickey but he is certainly never ever boring.xsmiley_wix I don't see Marshall as being a huge step up over JMU for Mickey but I bet they contact him.xcoffeex

yeah marshall may not be a huge step up. wouldn't be surprised if they've inquired about him before, given his ties there. if he's going to go, he'd be stupid to leave unless it provided PLENTY of "room" (read: honeymoon period), at least double his money (which wouldn't be difficult to accomplish), and it was at a school where the demands far outweigh the capabilities of the program (Notre Dame, etc. [not suggesting he'd ever get a call from them, just an example] ).

the good thing mickey has is essentially a lifetime contract, as do many other good/great FCS coaches. App State would never fire Moore if he had 10 losing seasons in a row (nor should they).

anyway, not trying to steal focus, spiders fans... i'm rooting for you BIG TIME. really, i'm rooting for W&M to win the whole thing, but i may go to UR this weekend and cheer you on against ASU. should be a good game, i watched ASU and they didn't look like the team i saw last year several times (vs. ECU, Wofford, SC State, JMU).... but i expect them to bounce back.

on the flip side, UR is not the same as last year either. the fact that they only beat us by 3 (was it 4?) told me a lot... and we still had a chance to win that game, and we weren't very good this year. REGARDLESS, both are quality teams and programs and i expect a great game. it'll be tough for UR to duplicate the pressure they got last year on AE without Logan and Sidbury, those guys were beyond ridiculous.

elon77
November 30th, 2009, 01:40 PM
I heard the Temple coach could be in on the fun!

JMU Newbill
November 30th, 2009, 01:52 PM
Peterson would be making a grave mistake leaving BSU to come to UVA.

London would get a huge payday by going to UVA. UVA has set a precendent for what they are willing to pay their coaches. Don't expect anyone to take much less. However, I don't think London will leave UR just yet.

Look for UVA to seek out some of the bigger FBS names first.

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 30th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Peterson would be making a grave mistake leaving BSU to come to UVA.

London would get a huge payday by going to UVA. UVA has set a precendent for what they are willing to pay their coaches. Don't expect anyone to take much less. However, I don't think London will leave UR just yet.

Look for UVA to seek out some of the bigger FBS names first.

I agree with you. I am more worried about London leaving for the job that we don't even know is going to open yet. Like supposed Skip Holtz leaves ECU and they look for a replacement.

This is life. We're focused on App State.

Husky4Life
November 30th, 2009, 02:07 PM
And the last hot shot Boise State coach hired at a terrible BCS school turned out to be a dud.

Hawkins gets another year. I think he's done a good job cleaning up the off the field problems, that place was a total mess.

putter
November 30th, 2009, 02:10 PM
Hawkins gets another year. I think he's done a good job cleaning up the off the field problems, that place was a total mess.

Colorado told Hawkins they would give him 5 years, at least they are honoring their word.

WUTNDITWAA
November 30th, 2009, 02:24 PM
The last time Richmond had to find a new coach it worked out pretty well.

The last two times, actually.

appmaj
November 30th, 2009, 02:59 PM

I think ralph friedgen already ruined the uppity ACC image

19Duke97
November 30th, 2009, 03:34 PM

Can wine breathe in a beer mug? No way in he!! UVA will go after MM - Littlepage and MM would get along like oil and water.

bigappfan10
November 30th, 2009, 03:37 PM
It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out. Weis just got canned and Butch Davis (Wha?) is rumored to be a candidate at ND and on and on...through it all there always seems to be a fcs coach moving up somewhere. Just glad that the real ole' ball coach is at an age where App has nothing to worry about (except him getting another year older).

james_lawfirm
November 30th, 2009, 04:36 PM
i watched ASU and they didn't look like the team i saw last year several times (vs. ECU, Wofford, SC State, JMU).... but i expect them to bounce back.

on the flip side, UR is not the same as last year either. the fact that they only beat us by 3 (was it 4?) told me a lot... and we still had a chance to win that game, and we weren't very good this year. REGARDLESS, both are quality teams and programs and i expect a great game. it'll be tough for UR to duplicate the pressure they got last year on AE without Logan and Sidbury, those guys were beyond ridiculous.

I agree with your post. UR's DEs last year were fabulous. Glad their gone.

App is not the same team as last year. IMO, the defense is now much better, after a terrible start. And, IF AE can run, then App will do well.

This game could be one of two things: 1) a defensive slugfest; or 2) an old-fashioned shoot-out. Or I guess it could be a lop-sided win. So, really, I have little idea what to expect. If AE can run and does run, UR will have their hands full. If not, for whatever reason, then UR should do well enough to win.

SC State showed the FCS how to play defense against a spread offense. I really would be surprised if UR has a better defense with better athletes than SC State.

phillyAPP
November 30th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Could Marshall want Mickey???

LMFAO !!!!!!!!

Mickey to Marshall xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx xlolxxlolx

Eight Legger
November 30th, 2009, 05:41 PM
Peterson has some connection with someone in the UVA athletic department who used to work at Boise. I am sure they'll try to go after him if they can. They seem to like pulling west coast guys lately. I don't think it's London's time to leave.

nms1987
November 30th, 2009, 05:41 PM
I wonder how Dave Clawson feels about his Tennessee gamble now. He builds the Richmond program into a contender and brings in all those kids that won the championship and now his successor is the guy who has a better shot at a BCS coaching job.
Poor guy.

Still, I'm glad he seems to be doing well and Bowling Green. He should get a better job soon

boonegoon
November 30th, 2009, 06:45 PM
I agree with your post. UR's DEs last year were fabulous. Glad their gone.

App is not the same team as last year. IMO, the defense is now much better, after a terrible start. And, IF AE can run, then App will do well.

This game could be one of two things: 1) a defensive slugfest; or 2) an old-fashioned shoot-out. Or I guess it could be a lop-sided win. So, really, I have little idea what to expect. If AE can run and does run, UR will have their hands full. If not, for whatever reason, then UR should do well enough to win.

SC State showed the FCS how to play defense against a spread offense. I really would be surprised if UR has a better defense with better athletes than SC State.

I think you are right to a point. But, when you remove a major option from the spread option it gets a little easier. We became a playaction pass team with Armanti in the pocket.

Mid-Atlantic
November 30th, 2009, 08:37 PM
they would have to pay Peterson a lot of money to leave Boise State for UVA

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 30th, 2009, 08:39 PM
they would have to pay Peterson a lot of money to leave Boise State for UVA

They had to pay Groh a hell of a lot of money to go ... and they are also paying a search firm. I don't think the cost of another salary is a huge consideration here. They are more concerned about bringing back the 10k ticket holders they have lost in the last 2 years.

SpiderSafety75
November 30th, 2009, 10:35 PM
I don't think Mike goes anywhere this time around. He doesn't have the experience that UVa will want as of yet. I don't think Mike gets a shot unless a half-dozen folks turn UVa down. (Which might happen.)

Henny
November 30th, 2009, 11:10 PM
UVA would have to give serious consideration to Al Golden. He has UVA ties, BUILT TEMPLE and made them a WINNER. No easy task.