PDA

View Full Version : The "whistle" EU/UR

ElonPride
November 29th, 2009, 07:27 PM
First, let me say this was a great atmosphere for a playoff football game. UR fans were very nice and it was another great day to be in Richmond. My family came to visit me in Richmond, and we saw what was one of the best games in Elon football memory. It was the tale of two halves. UR dominated the first, and Elon the 2nd.

I do have to ask, what was up with errant whistle on that last punt return? Camp had 10-15 yards of daylight, started to run, and the refs blew an errant whistle???? WTF was that?????????

BUT.....UR, you guys do have a really good team and very friendly fans. Your o--line manhandled our d-line almost all game.

BTW, has anyone heard anything about the Elon player taken off on the stretcher? Seemed pretty serious. It was great to see such a class group of UR fans give him a standing O when he was being wheeled off....and the same with Jones when he severely injured his knee earlier in the game. Very classy group those UR folks!!!xthumbsupx

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 29th, 2009, 07:31 PM
Today's RTD said the injured Elon player was doing OK!

gophoenix
November 29th, 2009, 07:33 PM
No real explanation there.

OVC crew, maybe the SoCon doesn't have all that much to complain about.

or maybe close games really show reffing mistakes.

it was a great game.

MacThor
November 30th, 2009, 06:55 AM
I do have to ask, what was up with errant whistle on that last punt return? Camp had 10-15 yards of daylight, started to run, and the refs blew an errant whistle???? WTF was that?????????

If by Camp you meant Sullivan, and by 10-15 yards of daylight you meant "3 yards until in the grasp of Ireland and fighting for yardage," yeah I wondered the same thing. I think one of the officials thought he signaled fair catch, but they still gave him the 3 yards on the return.

ElonPride
November 30th, 2009, 07:56 AM
If by Camp you meant Sullivan, and by 10-15 yards of daylight you meant "3 yards until in the grasp of Ireland and fighting for yardage," yeah I wondered the same thing. I think one of the officials thought he signaled fair catch, but they still gave him the 3 yards on the return.

Yes Sullivan, my apologies. But how in the hell can the refs let something like that happen in such a big game situation? And btw, he did have about 10 yards of running room!

PhoenixMan
November 30th, 2009, 08:18 AM
Yes Sullivan, my apologies. But how in the hell can the refs let something like that happen in such a big game situation? And btw, he did have about 10 yards of running room!

The refs were bad. The official did in fact rule that Sullivan signaled fair catch. However, if you can't make a 24 yd. field goal (can you say choke?) then you don't deserve to advance. Kudos to Richmond fans and employees...everyone was cordial and respectful, while at the same time pulling for their Spiders. As it should be!

ElonPride
November 30th, 2009, 08:22 AM
The refs were bad. The official did in fact rule that Sullivan signaled fair catch. However, if you can't make a 24 yd. field goal (can you say choke?) then you don't deserve to advance. Kudos to Richmond fans and employees...everyone was cordial and respectful, while at the same time pulling for their Spiders. As it should be!

Absolutely the UR fans were great!

MacThor
November 30th, 2009, 08:31 AM
Well if they did rule he did signal fair catch (which is what I thought too), then Elon got spotted an extra three yards! ;)

PhoenixMan
November 30th, 2009, 12:03 PM
Well if they did rule he did signal fair catch (which is what I thought too), then Elon got spotted an extra three yards! ;)

Bottom line......if you can't make a 24 yd. FG to tie the game in a playoff game....go home. Refs didn't change the outcome (unless Hudgins foot was in??)xrotatehx