PDA

View Full Version : Which FCS Schools have the Best Fanbases?

Tribe
November 29th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Being somewhat new to FCS, I was wondering which schools have the best fanbases? Just from common sense I would imagine Montana and App State are two of them. But I see a lot of Richmond fans on here and yet I read that the team doesn't draw well from some of the posters. Same with Villanova.

And what about a school like Georgia Southern? When I was growing up they were FCS royalty. I still remember that Adrain Peterson run, which I believe may be the most impressive run in college football history. Do they still have a big fanbase or has it dropped off in recent years?

I guess what I'm asking is which teams in FCS have the biggest following and which ones are in danger of becoming the next Northeastern?

Thanks in advance for the help. It isn't always easy to find info like this about FCS schools, so I figured the people here could provide me with the best information.

Vidav
November 29th, 2009, 04:24 PM
I think the reason Montana has such a strong following is our lack of pro teams or larger schools in Montana. So if you are from here and want to cheer for a local team, it's either UM or MSU. Obviously the smart people choose UM. :P

But to answer your question, Montana sells more season tickets than anyone and has 2nd average attendance behind App, I believe.

kdinva
November 29th, 2009, 04:27 PM
I think ODU sold 14,000 season tix this year, and they don't think that number will fall off in seasons to come......that's a program worth watching closely, and not just in the Mid-Atlantic region. Delaware and Liberty and JMU won't take a back seat to anyone, either.

ASU_Fanatic
November 29th, 2009, 04:29 PM
Goin homer! ASU has the best.

DFW HOYA
November 29th, 2009, 04:31 PM
Being somewhat new to FCS, I was wondering which schools have the best fanbases? Just from common sense I would imagine Montana and App State are two of them. But I see a lot of Richmond fans on here and yet I read that the team doesn't draw well from some of the posters. Same with Villanova.

How do you define "best"? Average attendance? Every other year Yale is in the top five but no one is suggesting they're right up there with Montana and App State.

The top 10 of 2009 attendance:

Montana
Appalachian St.
Yale
Delaware
Old Dominion
N.C. A&T
South Carolina St.
Ga. Southern
North Dakota St.
Jackson St.

Nine of the top ten are state funded.

And the bottom ten:

109. Georgetown
110. Marist
111. San Diego
112. Wagner
113. Sacred Heart
114. Valparaiso
115. Northeastern
116. Robert Morris
117. St. Francis (PA)
118. Duquesne

Finally, the top 10 by percentage of seats filled:

Liberty
Central Conn. St.
Appalachian St.
New Hampshire
Butler
Georgetown (hmmm: 109th in numbers, 6th in capacity. The MSF is too small!)
Prairie View
Old Dominion
James Madison
Montana

Squealofthepig
November 29th, 2009, 04:35 PM
Couple different ways to answer this; one great place to start is just looking at the attendance reports from the NCAA:

http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/2009/Internet/attendance/FCS_AVGATTENDANCE.pdf

This gives you some hard numbers about people who actually go to the games - it's a decent proxy, and generally seems to track what you'll see on these boards.

As far as AGS, historical program success generally correlates to how many vocal people there are on here. Note that this goes back at least a decade and a half, so you'll see some powers that have faded a bit (Georgia Southern, for example, though hopefully their new coach will bring them back to the national spotlight!). You'll also see more folks from the CAA than any other conferences, and you'll see more of the top tier of conferences represented than less successful ones.

wr70beh
November 29th, 2009, 04:35 PM
Madison has a pretty good fanbase. It is good enough so they can expand to 26000, and say they can fill it with no problem.

I'm impressed with the support that ODU has received. I'm anxious to see how they play against the top CAA teams 8 times a year. With their recruiting base and fan support they can be dangerous.

Tribe
November 29th, 2009, 04:40 PM
Thanks guys. I'm not talking about just attendence but fans all over the country. For instance, in FBS some of the kings would be Notre Dame, Texas and Ohio State, just to name a couple.

I'm sure some football programs are more popular than others. I was just wondering in terms of fanbases that bleed for their teams, which ones you would consider some of the best? Thanks again.

Tribe
November 29th, 2009, 04:43 PM
Couple different ways to answer this; one great place to start is just looking at the attendance reports from the NCAA:

http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/2009/Internet/attendance/FCS_AVGATTENDANCE.pdf

This gives you some hard numbers about people who actually go to the games - it's a decent proxy, and generally seems to track what you'll see on these boards.

As far as AGS, historical program success generally correlates to how many vocal people there are on here. Note that this goes back at least a decade and a half, so you'll see some powers that have faded a bit (Georgia Southern, for example, though hopefully their new coach will bring them back to the national spotlight!). You'll also see more folks from the CAA than any other conferences, and you'll see more of the top tier of conferences represented than less successful ones.

Thanks for that list. I found it interesting. I was surprised that Yale draws so many people and I would have guessed that Northern Iowa would be higher in attendence.

ThompsonThe
November 29th, 2009, 04:43 PM
Appalachian won the largest regular season attendance.

GolfingGriz
November 29th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Like another poster said Montana doesn't have any pro teams so most of our population gets behind the cats or the griz. Most choose the griz. We are Montana's pro team. Sorry cats but you are the Clippers, Mets, and Islanders. We're the Lakers, Yankees, and Rangers.

ThompsonThe
November 29th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Every school, just about, probably feel that they have the best fanbase of any school. Would be natural to do so.

Tribe
November 29th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Every school, just about, probably feel that they have the best fanbase of any school. Would be natural to do so.

I totally disagree. Vanderbilt doesn't have the same fanbase as Nebraska, just like Georgetown doesn't have the same fanbase as Montana. No way are they all the same. Ask Northeastern. I have been to one of their games. There were about 100 people in the stands.

Vidav
November 29th, 2009, 04:53 PM

I think this is probably accurate.

I think one thing that would tell you about your fanbase is how well they stick with the team when they have losing seasons for a few years running. Obviously the current power teams probably haven't had to experience that for a while, so we can't really say.

yosef1969
November 29th, 2009, 04:56 PM
I'm an ASU homer but I think a good indicator of strong fanbase is how well they travel. I think the ASU fanbase travels as well as any in FCS. I've travelled to a lot of away games and I'd also say that UNI, JMU, GSU, Delaware and of course Montana have some of the better fan bases.

Ivytalk
November 29th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Thanks for that list. I found it interesting. I was surprised that Yale draws so many people and I would have guessed that Northern Iowa would be higher in attendence.

Yale's attendance is higher in odd-numbered years because of the Harvard game, which usually draws 50K+. That said, Yale probably has the most loyal fans of any Ivy League school.xpeacex

SU Jag
November 29th, 2009, 05:03 PM
I don't think you could go wrong with any of these; montana, montana state, app. State, deleware, georgia southern, mcneese state, southern, jackson state, north carolina a&t, famu, sc state, grambling, nc central, alabama state, and furman.

Tribe
November 29th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Thanks a lot everyone. This is really helpful. Not having followed FCS for a long time, I was curious because I was wondering if a lot of schools are in the situation Northeastern was in or if most schools have a lot of support. Thanks.

Wildcat80
November 29th, 2009, 05:06 PM
I liked to see the % of capacity ranking which tells me UNH is consistent. For nova we had 14k...alot were in tailgate mode. Wherever I travel with my UNH football tees I get alumni comments....just recently in Florida. Weather is always a factor in the North too.

Tribe
November 29th, 2009, 05:10 PM
Does Villanova struggle to get support in football? I have read a few comments on here that have insinuated that.

superman7515
November 29th, 2009, 05:14 PM

Liberty
Central Conn. St.
Appalachian St.
New Hampshire
Butler
Prairie View
Old Dominion
James Madison
Montana

Umm... Prairie View is at 60.05%... They're not even in the top half, let alone top ten. Take them out, move everyone up one, and put Delaware at 10.

achrist70
November 29th, 2009, 05:24 PM
I'm an ASU homer but I think a good indicator of strong fanbase is how well they travel. I think the ASU fanbase travels as well as any in FCS. I've travelled to a lot of away games and I'd also say that UNI, JMU, GSU, Delaware and of course Montana have some of the better fan bases.

UNI's fan base is based upon two things how well UNI is doing, and how well Iowa is doing.
In 2007 when Iowa went 6-6 we had a lot of bandwagon jumpers, this year 10-2 and we struggled at times to get 10,000 people at the games.

Philliesfan980
November 29th, 2009, 06:03 PM
Does Villanova struggle to get support in football? I have read a few comments on here that have insinuated that.

Villanova has always struggled. There's a lot of pull from a lot of different sources in the Philadelphia metro region for fan entertainment $'s/interest, and Nova always comes up a little short in terms of fan support. The Philadelphia area in general has always been a "pro" area.

That and the fact that a lot of people around here view FCS as an inferior product. To further complicate matters, a lot of people in the area are PSU allumni.

SumItUp
November 29th, 2009, 06:18 PM

How many normally travel with ASU? What is the breakdown of alumni/fans vs. students?

Tribe
November 29th, 2009, 06:19 PM
Villanova has always struggled. There's a lot of pull from a lot of different sources in the Philadelphia metro region for fan entertainment $'s/interest, and Nova always comes up a little short in terms of fan support. The Philadelphia area in general has always been a "pro" area.

That and the fact that a lot of people around here view FCS as an inferior product. To further complicate matters, a lot of people in the area are PSU allumni.

Sounds a lot like Boston Philliesfan. BU and Northeastern bit the dust and to be honest, very few people there care about BC either. It's a pure pro sports town, much like you described Philly. Thanks for the feedback.

yorkcountyUNHfan
November 29th, 2009, 06:33 PM
Sounds a lot like Boston Philliesfan. BU and Northeastern bit the dust and to be honest, very few people there care about BC either. It's a pure pro sports town, much like you described Philly. Thanks for the feedback.

Not just Boston, but all of New England

Grizaholic17
November 29th, 2009, 06:35 PM
The true question is how well do your fans travel ?? I know the Griz travel very well

SumItUp
November 29th, 2009, 06:40 PM
The true question is how well do your fans travel ?? I know the Griz travel very well

How many normally travel with Montana? What is the breakdown of alumni/fans vs. students?

Tribe
November 29th, 2009, 06:54 PM
Is football huge in the SoCo outside of ASU and Georgia Southern? What about teams like Elon, Furman and Wofford?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm just interested in learning more about the FCS teams that I watch and follow every week. Thanks.

89Hen
November 29th, 2009, 07:02 PM
The somewhat shortish list: Montana, AppSt, GSU, Delaware, YSU, UNI, Southern, McNeese, Grambling, JMU, Furman... there are others that are close, but I think that's a pretty good starter list.

UMass922
November 29th, 2009, 07:28 PM

Correct. College football is more or less a niche/novelty sport in New England.

HoyaMetanoia
November 29th, 2009, 08:53 PM
How do you define "best"? Average attendance? Every other year Yale is in the top five but no one is suggesting they're right up there with Montana and App State.

Montana
Appalachian St.
Yale
Delaware
Old Dominion
N.C. A&T
South Carolina St.
Ga. Southern
North Dakota St.
Jackson St.

And the bottom ten:

109. Georgetown
110. Marist
111. San Diego
112. Wagner
113. Sacred Heart
114. Valparaiso
115. Northeastern
116. Robert Morris
117. St. Francis (PA)
118. Duquesne

Liberty
Central Conn. St.
Appalachian St.
New Hampshire
Butler
Prairie View
Old Dominion
James Madison
Montana

The Georgetown attendance numbers are wildly inflated and therefore is significantly skews the percentage of seats filled figure. Go back and look at the "attendance" for Homecoming and compare it to pictures from the game.

DFW HOYA
November 29th, 2009, 09:14 PM
The Georgetown attendance numbers are wildly inflated and therefore is significantly skews the percentage of seats filled figure. Go back and look at the "attendance" for Homecoming and compare it to pictures from the game.

My guess, and it's only that, is that the numbers account for a student population that does not stay long at games (and the way the Hoyas have played in recent years, students do not have much patience). Whereas most schools would sell to capacity and stop selling (e.g., "Sold Out"), Georgetown students come and go and as some leave and others arrive, this may account for the bump in attendance even thought the seats aren't always filled.

I was at Homecoming and, yes, probably 500 students walked out at the end of the 1st quarter, but another 100 or so arrived just before halftime (and left in the third).

TheValleyRaider
November 29th, 2009, 09:26 PM
Sorry cats but you are the ... Islanders. We're the ... Rangers.

So, you're saying Montana is a bloated, poorly-managed, wannabe all-star team whose accomplishments are roughly similar to their supposedly inferior rivals while having nearly twice the time in which to attempt them? xwhistlex

I just might have become a Bobcat fan xsmiley_wix

Husky4Life
November 29th, 2009, 10:30 PM

It's very sad. I have Boston College season tickets and that school has horrible fans. I remember in 1999 we (Northeastern) played @ JMU our second game of the season and that place was nuts. They had a paratrooper bring in the game ball, I was like "are you kidding me?" 2 weeks later we played at BC and the stadium was empty at kickoff. We were up 14-13 at the end of the first quarter before any fans showed up from tailgating.

BC actually makes the police clear all tailgating areas 30 minutes before the game now to get fans in the stadium at kickoff. It's pathetic, Boston's only college sports interest it hockey.

yosef1969
November 29th, 2009, 10:53 PM
How many normally travel with ASU? What is the breakdown of alumni/fans vs. students?

Not easy to quantify but ASU typically sells out the allotment provided by the host school. Often well over 5K travelling. The breakdown is probably around 60/40 to 70/30 Alums to students. These are guesses by the way but I think the numbers are pretty close.

Squealofthepig
November 29th, 2009, 10:59 PM
The somewhat shortish list: Montana, AppSt, GSU, Delaware, YSU, UNI, Southern, McNeese, Grambling, JMU, Furman... there are others that are close, but I think that's a pretty good starter list.

Holy crap, I agree with 89Hen! ;)

What those schools have in common is a fanbase that sticks with them generally through down times - Delaware is a great example of a fanbase that sticks by their team even when they're not a top program (though still a very good team). Furman is another example - when they say they bleed Purple, they really do - a very dedicated fanbase. And the same can be said of the rest of the teams he listed as well - it's easy to generate a fanbase when you're doing well, the true test comes when the team drops down a notch while different recruiting classes come in.

I would personally add Wofford, Richmond, Elon and Liberty to that list, but that's just me - all great programs with great fans.

Edit: And Maine! Man, I miss the Bears/Grizzly games!

Tribe
November 29th, 2009, 11:13 PM
Holy crap, I agree with 89Hen! ;)

What those schools have in common is a fanbase that sticks with them generally through down times - Delaware is a great example of a fanbase that sticks by their team even when they're not a top program (though still a very good team). Furman is another example - when they say they bleed Purple, they really do - a very dedicated fanbase. And the same can be said of the rest of the teams he listed as well - it's easy to generate a fanbase when you're doing well, the true test comes when the team drops down a notch while different recruiting classes come in.

I would personally add Wofford, Richmond, Elon and Liberty to that list, but that's just me - all great programs with great fans.

Edit: And Maine! Man, I miss the Bears/Grizzly games!

Thank you. That is what I meant by "Best Fanbases." You just put it into words better than I did. I was wondering which schools have a fanbase that always sticks by them regardless if they are winning titles or not. Thanks a lot for clarifying that and for the list. xthumbsupx

GrizNzonecrazy
November 30th, 2009, 03:44 AM
On a side note, however, while i believe that Montana has a great fan base that will be there "for richer or poorer" but i also think that is getting to a point where it is almost speculative to say that they will or will not......we havent had a down year in 20 years....17th straight year in the playoffs....6 NC appearances, 2 National Titles, 12 straight conference titles......I for one can say that i will be here no matter what the future brings but i can also say that my belief and loyalty has never been tested being only 22 years old.....A bad year to me is 8-3 or even 9-2......

Monarch Nation
November 30th, 2009, 06:42 AM
I'm impressed with the support that ODU has received. I'm anxious to see how they play against the top CAA teams 8 times a year. With their recruiting base and fan support they can be dangerous.

Thanks.

As far as ODU's fanbase is concerned, let's table this question and see how we do when football is no longer a new concept on campus. Right now we fill the stadium and travel fairly well (2,000 to Jax and 3,000 to VMI), but let's see if it lasts. If we can pull those kind of numbers while going .500 or less in the CAA then we'll know.

HoyaMetanoia
November 30th, 2009, 01:55 PM
My guess, and it's only that, is that the numbers account for a student population that does not stay long at games (and the way the Hoyas have played in recent years, students do not have much patience). Whereas most schools would sell to capacity and stop selling (e.g., "Sold Out"), Georgetown students come and go and as some leave and others arrive, this may account for the bump in attendance even thought the seats aren't always filled.

I was at Homecoming and, yes, probably 500 students walked out at the end of the 1st quarter, but another 100 or so arrived just before halftime (and left in the third).

I don't think if you counted everyone who went through the gates that day that you could get to a number upwards of 2000. Howard's side had maybe 200-300 people on it. At most. At any point in the game. Ever since the poor showing at senior day last year against Marist, it seems like Georgetown's SID has been fudging the numbers a bit.

jmufan999
November 30th, 2009, 02:24 PM

Liberty
Central Conn. St.
Appalachian St.
New Hampshire
Butler
Prairie View
Old Dominion
James Madison
Montana

THIS is the only list that matters... can't really compare stadiums that are huge compared to stadiums that are tiny. wouldn't mind putting an asterisk next to Liberty though..... why, you ask?

well, i went to the JMU/Liberty game this year. i was ASTOUNDED at how many students were in the stands, cheering, etc..... 30 minutes before kickoff! now, i know it was a big game for them, but something seemed off.... and i couldn't put my finger on it, until i realized....

THEY CAN'T TAILGATE!!! of COURSE you have ridiculous attendance when none of your students are too drunk to stand up. ban alcohol from every school and the numbers would probably shoot up. :) i hope no one actually gets offended by this, i'm just poking fun. but it IS true. :) let's be honest, football becomes the #1 priority when alcohol isn't an option.

89Hen
November 30th, 2009, 02:29 PM
THIS is the only list that matters... can't really compare stadiums that are huge compared to stadiums that are tiny.
xconfusedx You'd rank JMU ahead of Delaware in support simply because your stadium is smaller?

PhoenixMan
November 30th, 2009, 02:33 PM
THIS is the only list that matters... can't really compare stadiums that are huge compared to stadiums that are tiny. wouldn't mind putting an asterisk next to Liberty though..... why, you ask?

well, i went to the JMU/Liberty game this year. i was ASTOUNDED at how many students were in the stands, cheering, etc..... 30 minutes before kickoff! now, i know it was a big game for them, but something seemed off.... and i couldn't put my finger on it, until i realized....

THEY CAN'T TAILGATE!!! of COURSE you have ridiculous attendance when none of your students are too drunk to stand up. ban alcohol from every school and the numbers would probably shoot up. :) i hope no one actually gets offended by this, i'm just poking fun. but it IS true. :) let's be honest, football becomes the #1 priority when alcohol isn't an option.

You make an excellent point. If you can't get smashed on Saturday afternoon you might as well go to a football gamexnodx I'm poking fun also, but when I was a student at Elon (a few moons ago, but not that many) I remember a lot of students, particularly fraternity and sorority, not going to games so they could throw an all day party. Now that we are having some success, at least they come and stay until the 3rd quarterxthumbsupx

GannonFan
November 30th, 2009, 03:13 PM
xconfusedx You'd rank JMU ahead of Delaware in support simply because your stadium is smaller?

Yeah - next year Richmond should shoot to the top of the list. Who knew, the best way to make your fanbase rank high is to play in small stadiums! I like it!!!!xlolxxlolxxlolx

Bigmoneymike
December 2nd, 2009, 08:45 PM
Southern hands down in the SWAC. Anywhere they play on the road the attendance is miles better for the home team. SC State always seemed to travel well the few times I have been to away game for them. FAMU as well.

wideright82
December 2nd, 2009, 08:55 PM
Yeah - next year Richmond should shoot to the top of the list. Who knew, the best way to make your fanbase rank high is to play in small stadiums! I like it!!!!xlolxxlolxxlolx

That's what I've been trying to tell you GF!!!! Villanova has played you all a fool xlolx

AshevilleApp
December 2nd, 2009, 09:59 PM
Got to be App - Hands Down...I mean we have the entire Ohio State, Michigan State and Penn State fanbases as our surrogates now! ;).....Proof check youtube

Schfourteenteen
December 2nd, 2009, 11:01 PM

Boy that was a crazy weekend. 30 minutes? No. The entire student side was filled 90 MINUTES prior to the game and if you look at our recent history of home games you can see why. JMU is the best team weve face at home since Rocco came into town. To add to that, it was one of the biggest downpours I've ever seen at a game.

Normally, you'll see the whole section filled(on a sunny day) about 15 minutes before kickoff.

Tailgating is actually a fun time even without alcohol. For most it becomes a brother-sister dorm activity(oh boy) that is pubbed and run by the RA's. Sorry I sound like a homeschooled kid.

As for Liberty's fan base, I'm not sold on it being the best. They are enthusiastic, but they are very stupid sometimes. Their lack of knowledge creates a major rumor factory with everything Liberty, and Athletics are no different. Every event is free as well, so there really arent any excuses NOT to be at the game.

Schfourteenteen
December 2nd, 2009, 11:08 PM
I also don't agree with that list being that important. If you got a stadium of 1000 capacity, being atop the percentage list isnt difficult. I really just dont see any stat or number being truly reflective of their fan base.

IMO, Criteria for the fan base is made up of:

Overall attendance
Noise when winning
Noise when losing
Knowledge of the game
Determination - How many do you lose because of the weather?
Ability to get into the opponents head
$$$ - Donations, Membership fees, ticket prices. How much would they pay?
How long they stay at the game

mcveyrl
December 3rd, 2009, 07:28 AM

Yep. And it will "reverse skate" on us in a couple of years...I thought that was the least useful list.

Gil Dobie
December 3rd, 2009, 07:47 AM
NDSU averaged over 16,500 fans with a 3-8 record, that's 9th in FCS. xoopsx

SpeedkingATL
December 3rd, 2009, 09:08 AM
I can only speak for my experience following ASU. In the SoCon, GSU travels well and has supported the team even with their drop from the elite. Elon, though a smaller school has become pretty good the last few years. Furman has a good core but has dropped off with the teams fortunes recently.

Other teams fans that have been impressive coming to the Rock are SCSU, JMU and McNeese. I was also impressed with the Nothern Iowa and Delaware fans at Chatty.

I'm very excited about the Montana and McNeese games coming up and wish we could also get a long term arrangement with SCSU and JMU. Can't wait to travel to Montana and McNeese.

ASU has traveled extremely well the last few years.....

DG Cowboy
December 3rd, 2009, 09:13 AM
Someone mentioned a parachutist. McNeese has 4 parachutists every game. We don't trust them with the game ball though. They might make cracklins out of it. We just let 'em chute in flags.

jstate83
December 3rd, 2009, 09:18 AM
can't complain about ours.
We been finishing in the top tier, (#1, #2 or top 10), for decades.
We still hold the 1-AA/FCS record of over 37,000 per game.

JMUNJ08
December 3rd, 2009, 09:55 AM
NDSU averaged over 16,500 fans with a 3-8 record, that's 9th in FCS. xoopsx

Impressive but do they have anything to compete with in ND????xsmiley_wix

TheBisonator
December 3rd, 2009, 10:02 AM

No we don't, other than some cult following hockey team 75 miles north.

WileECoyote06
December 3rd, 2009, 10:21 AM
Did anybody mention A & T? Even as a bitter rival, I respect that they were still averaging 10K+ when they were 0-11. That's amazing.

Redbird Ray
December 3rd, 2009, 10:32 AM

Do they have anything to compete with in Montana besides Montana State? No one seems to question their fandom. If NDSU had a 25K seat stadium, they would fill it most seasons, I think a top ten list has to include them over Elon and Richmond, GMAFB.

xcoffeex

mistersykes
December 3rd, 2009, 07:45 PM
Did anybody mention A & T? Even as a bitter rival, I respect that they were still averaging 10K+ when they were 0-11. That's amazing.

Yeah, I was thinking that sometime...man those guys are devoted. And to see them starting to turn it around down there is sure to bring in more fans too.

LakesBison
December 3rd, 2009, 08:05 PM
NDSU. name 1 other FCS fanbase that brought 20,000+ and 30,000+ to a FBS game in back to back years?

ask SDSU when 5000-7000+ go down to SDSU and dominate the West Stands.

ask UNI when 3000+ went and dominated the noise in the UNI Dump in 2008.

ask Iowa State, Wyoming in which NDSU brought 5000+ fans and not even going to mention the caravan of Customized Logo Busses, Vans, Trucks, Tailgates.

Maybe most of the FCS teams have a lot of fans in their OWN towns, but hands down NDSU takes more people on the road than any other FCS team.

WileECoyote06
December 3rd, 2009, 08:12 PM
NDSU. name 1 other FCS fanbase that brought 20,000+ and 30,000+ to a FBS game in back to back years?

ask SDSU when 5000-7000+ go down to SDSU and dominate the West Stands.

ask Iowa State, Wyoming in which NDSU brought 5000+ fans and not even going to mention the caravan of Customized Logo Busses, Vans, Trucks, Tailgates.

Maybe most of the FCS teams have a lot of fans in their OWN towns, but hands down NDSU takes more people on the road than any other FCS team.

Southern fans would argue with you on that.

SU Jag
December 3rd, 2009, 08:18 PM
NDSU. name 1 other FCS fanbase that brought 20,000+ and 30,000+ to a FBS game in back to back years?ask SDSU when 5000-7000+ go down to SDSU and dominate the West Stands.

Southern University!xnodx

LakesBison
December 3rd, 2009, 08:34 PM
Southern did? to where.

if verified, we'll share the title then.

SU Jag
December 3rd, 2009, 08:43 PM
Southern did? to where.

if verified, we'll share the title then.

We've been doing this for years, there is not one place in particular. We took over 20,000 to Las Vegas back in 03, we took over 15,000 down to Jacksonville Florida in 06 for the Gateway Classic, we always travel strong, always. Usually we kill our oppinents home feild advantage by buying up al the tickets at turning where ever we into the "Jags House".xnodx We took over ULL this season, Tulane in 04 and on and on. You betta ask somebody!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!xnodx

LakesBison
December 3rd, 2009, 08:54 PM
ok buddy. but 20K and 30K is more than that.

but i'll share the title bro!

Thundar
December 3rd, 2009, 09:06 PM
Do they have anything to compete with in Montana besides Montana State? No one seems to question their fandom. If NDSU had a 25K seat stadium, they would fill it most seasons, I think a top ten list has to include them over Elon and Richmond, GMAFB.

xcoffeex

Exactly I love how everyone just blows it off, there is more to do in Fargo than Missoula or Bozeman in the Fall

GAD
December 3rd, 2009, 09:11 PM
hey but we once bought 40K to Jackson State I believe the year was 2003 the game was on TV an the annoucers kept saying it

SU Jag
December 3rd, 2009, 09:11 PM
ok buddy. but 20K and 30K is more than that.

but i'll share the title bro!

We're Undisputed! There are not many places in FCS that we go where we wont have the majority of the fans. We took over ULL, we own the dome when we play Tulane, we usually take around 25,000 to Jackson, we took over 20,000 to Las Vegas which is no where near SU. Bravo you took a lot of people to UM but that right in your back yard. SU has been making trips across the country with the "Jaguar Nation" for over 40-years.

Grizaholic17
December 3rd, 2009, 09:25 PM
Exactly I love how everyone just blows it off, there is more to do in Fargo than Missoula or Bozeman in the Fall

Doesn't matter. Don't make up dumb excuses like "there is nothing to do" here, we just love our football and love our teams. The same goes for high school. High school football is a big deal in every city too. People just love football here, I hate the dumb excuses. Sure We don't have an FBS team, but hopefully we will soon...

Thundar
December 3rd, 2009, 09:32 PM
Doesn't matter. Don't make up dumb excuses like "there is nothing to do" here, we just love our football and love our teams. The same goes for high school. High school football is a big deal in every city too. People just love football here, I hate the dumb excuses. Sure We don't have an FBS team, but hopefully we will soon...

Wasn't making a dumb excuse, same thing happens here too whats your point???

msusig
December 3rd, 2009, 10:37 PM
We're Undisputed! There are not many places in FCS that we go where we wont have the majority of the fans. We took over ULL, we own the dome when we play Tulane, we usually take around 25,000 to Jackson, we took over 20,000 to Las Vegas which is no where near SU. Bravo you took a lot of people to UM but that right in your back yard. SU has been making trips across the country with the "Jaguar Nation" for over 40-years.

Is it true Southern is backing out of coming to McNeese next year?

SU Jag
December 3rd, 2009, 10:57 PM
No the game is on 9-10 from what I know. I feel we should play yall more often.

Bigmoneymike
December 9th, 2009, 09:27 AM

That should be an interesting ticket situation. Does Mcneese even seat 20K?

Grabholdofyosef
December 9th, 2009, 10:12 AM
Montana
Delaware
ASU

WestCoastAggie
December 9th, 2009, 11:28 AM

Montana
Appalachian St.
Yale
Delaware
Old Dominion
N.C. A&T
South Carolina St.
Ga. Southern
North Dakota St.
Jackson St.

And the bottom ten:

109. Georgetown
110. Marist
111. San Diego
112. Wagner
113. Sacred Heart
114. Valparaiso
115. Northeastern
116. Robert Morris
117. St. Francis (PA)
118. Duquesne

Liberty
Central Conn. St.
Appalachian St.
New Hampshire
Butler
Prairie View
Old Dominion
James Madison
Montana

NCA&T can not use state funds on Athletics, period.

WestCoastAggie
December 9th, 2009, 11:30 AM
Thanks guys. I'm not talking about just attendence but fans all over the country. For instance, in FBS some of the kings would be Notre Dame, Texas and Ohio State, just to name a couple.

I'm sure some football programs are more popular than others. I was just wondering in terms of fanbases that bleed for their teams, which ones you would consider some of the best? Thanks again.

According to this criteria, I would say Harvard, Yale, Princeton, FAMU, Grambling, Southern etc...

TulsaBobcat
December 9th, 2009, 11:32 AM
Like another poster said Montana doesn't have any pro teams so most of our population gets behind the cats or the griz. Most choose the griz. We are Montana's pro team. Sorry cats but you are the Clippers, Mets, and Islanders. We're the Lakers, Yankees, and Rangers.

What position do you play? xeyebrowx

McNeese72
December 9th, 2009, 11:47 AM
That should be an interesting ticket situation. Does Mcneese even seat 20K?

Word is that Southern decided not to play again and we are going to hold them to the buyout clause in the contract.

Doc

McNeese72
December 9th, 2009, 11:48 AM

Not from what I hear.

Doc

jstate83
December 9th, 2009, 02:26 PM

Word is that Southern decided not to play again and we are going to hold them to the buyout clause in the contract.

Doc

UH OH. xeekx
Look like the SWAC 2010, nine 9 game mandate is rearing it's ugly head already. xnonono2x

But as of now, the SWAC master Schedule do have McNeese still on Southerns schedule the 2nd game of the season.