PDA

View Full Version : Strangest games

furpal87
November 28th, 2009, 11:08 PM
Today featured a couple of pretty bizarre games in Boone and Missoula. What game in your memory had some bizarre or strange feature that you will always remember the game for? I'm really talking about playoff games. For me even though I've seen Furman lose playoff games in the most bizarre ways imaginable, the one I will always remember is our 1985 QF win vs Rhode Island. It started with URI returning the opening kickoff 90 yds. to our 10, then 3 incomplete passes later they hit a FG, then we returned the ensuing kickoff for a TD 7-3 after 31 seconds. URI did not call a running play until the third qtr. by which point we were up 45-3. The final numbers for URI passing were 45-90 for 523 yds and I believe 9 interceptions. The game took 4 1/2 hrs. We won 59-15. I've never been so frustrated watching a game my team was winning by that much because of how long it took, and they never ran the ball.

AAadict
November 28th, 2009, 11:21 PM
2004 Hens vs. W&M. Hens up 3 TD's and Omar Cuff has 170 yards rushing. We have the ball to start the 4th qtr. and decide a passing attack is the best way to kill clock. We throw a pick 6 on the W&M 40 to let them back in the game. W&M goes on to win the playoff game with the great Lang Campbell. Omar Cuff never touched the ball in that 4th qtr. Still hurts today. Why Sonny threw that ball across the grain?...

smcwildcat
November 28th, 2009, 11:23 PM
UNH at UNI (#1 seed) we are up late lateee in 4th they score w 7 sec left deemed "The catch"

Reign of Terrier
November 28th, 2009, 11:24 PM
Wofford running up about 500 yards of offense, going up 2 TDs, and still losing by 10 to App this year

Husky Alum
November 29th, 2009, 12:52 AM
Northeastern - Towson 1992

I'll let Andy comment on that one, but they scored on an "extra" play as our guys ran on the field to celebrate a win before the game was over.

Towson scored on the extra play and won the game.

AAadict
November 29th, 2009, 12:56 AM
Northeastern - Towson 1992

I'll let Andy comment on that one, but they scored on an "extra" play as our guys ran on the field to celebrate a win before the game was over.

Towson scored on the extra play and won the game.

Extra play meaning like a 5th down?

Husky Alum
November 29th, 2009, 06:44 AM
No, it was a penalty on the defensive team (Northeastern) on the last play of the game, so the game couldn't end on a penalty.

Towson got an untimed, and legal, last play and scored. And won the game.

blueballs
November 29th, 2009, 08:26 AM
Until yesterday, I think maybe the most bizarre one for me would have been the 2005 fist round matchup between Texas State and Georgia southern, where GSU used the passing game xeekx to build a big lead only to be outscored 35-0 in the fourth quarter and lose by two TD's. GSU was held to ZERO yards in the fourth quarter after rolling up around 400 through three quarters.

That game was the stake to the heart of GSU coach Mike Sewak, who was summarily dumped the following week along with the option offense and the system that had fostered 8 title game appearances and six titles in 20 years.

The program has not recovered from that loss yet...

proasu89
November 29th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Until yesterday, I think maybe the most bizarre one for me would have been the 2005 fist round matchup between Texas State and Georgia southern, where GSU used the passing game xeekx to build a big lead only to be outscored 35-0 in the fourth quarter and lose by two TD's. GSU was held to ZERO yards in the fourth quarter after rolling up around 400 through three quarters.

That game was the stake to the heart of GSU coach Mike Sewak, who was summarily dumped the following week along with the option offense and the system that had fostered 8 title game appearances and six titles in 20 years.

The program has not recovered from that loss yet...

I thought of that 05 game as I watched that 4th quarter yesterday.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 29th, 2009, 02:55 PM
"Miracle on the mountain."
xlolx

Tribe07
November 29th, 2009, 03:11 PM
2004 Hens vs. W&M. Hens up 3 TD's and Omar Cuff has 170 yards rushing. We have the ball to start the 4th qtr. and decide a passing attack is the best way to kill clock. We throw a pick 6 on the W&M 40 to let them back in the game. W&M goes on to win the playoff game with the great Lang Campbell. Omar Cuff never touched the ball in that 4th qtr. Still hurts today. Why Sonny threw that ball across the grain?...

That is the BEST game I have ever seen live in my lifetime. I couldn't even believe what was unfolding. Down 31-10 going into the fourth quarter and we won it in 2OT? Insanity.