PDA

View Full Version : Bayou Classic - Behind the Scenes Battle

TexasTerror
November 28th, 2009, 09:46 AM
This is a huge money maker for the schools - Grambling and Southern.

With the budget getting tighter at the two schools, apparently 'boys will be boys' and Southern has several factions who can not play nicely in handling the financial benefits, the school should be receiving.

If you ask me, there should be one organization or perhaps a committee within the Sugar Bowl Committee (they know how to run games) with equal Grambling and Southern representation that runs the game, handles the money and directs it back at the universities.

The fight is for authority over the private, nonprofit Southern University System Foundation, which oversees much of the Bayou Classic and the university’s fundraising. It’s a confusing power struggle that pits various factions within the university’s community and soon could play out in court.

One component resulted in prominent Baton Rouge lawyer Walter Dumas to take the reins as the private foundation’s president. Dumas also sits on the Southern University System Board of Supervisors, which oversees Southern’s three academic campuses, its law school and its agricultural center.

Dumas touts the “new” foundation as “transparent” and “student first.”

Embattled former Southern University System President Ralph Slaughter claims the private foundation he once ran is now being run illegally. It’s an accusation he asserted last month in a legislative auditor’s complaint. Slaughter also filed litigation over his alleged ouster.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/suburban/75431717.html?showAll=y&c=y

mikebigg
November 30th, 2009, 12:30 AM
No thread about the game? xsmhx

TexasTerror
November 30th, 2009, 07:47 AM
No thread about the game? xsmhx

I can post a thread about the traffic!

Does not seem like too many people go to that post-game concert! Streets were closed all over the place, making even a trek to the outskirts of the FQ difficult.

And what was the parade that was held in the Claiborne/Louisiana area yesterday? So many people on the neutral ground. Streets blocked off. Grills a smokin'. Was that affiliated?

This was my first Thanksgiving in NOLA in a few years since I'm typically on the road. What was the deal on Sunday?

mikebigg
November 30th, 2009, 09:51 AM
Still doesn't take from the fact that you have a penchant for posting only negatives... Sad!!!!

Sly Fox
November 30th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Of course you has ample opportunity to post game info and passed.

What was attendance like?

SUjagTILLiDIE
November 30th, 2009, 02:44 PM
This is a huge money maker for the schools - Grambling and Southern.

With the budget getting tighter at the two schools, apparently 'boys will be boys' and Southern has several factions who can not play nicely in handling the financial benefits, the school should be receiving.

If you ask me, there should be one organization or perhaps a committee within the Sugar Bowl Committee (they know how to run games) with equal Grambling and Southern representation that runs the game, handles the money and directs it back at the universities.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/suburban/75431717.html?showAll=y&c=y

Power struggle between SU-BR Campus and THE SU SYSTEM's Foundation.

TexasTerror
November 30th, 2009, 04:11 PM
Of course you has ample opportunity to post game info and passed.

You would think with this the biggest HBCU game of the year - arguably - that the SU and Grambling fans would mount an effort to bring news and info on the game on to the biggest (and best) FCS community.

In NOLA, it's the only time the Times Picayune covers the program for something not negative. They had one or two stories daily. The game itself took up 2/3 of the Sunday front page and had considerable ink inside.

What was attendance like?

53k and change according to the box score.

The TP writer said the Superdome never looked quite half full. So, there were probably 30-35k in there.

SUjagTILLiDIE
December 2nd, 2009, 07:40 PM

The TP writer said the Superdome never looked quite half full. So, there were probably 30-35k in there.
Thats BS. I was there.

SU Jag
December 2nd, 2009, 07:44 PM
You would think with this the biggest HBCU game of the year - arguably - that the SU and Grambling fans would mount an effort to bring news and info on the game on to the biggest (and best) FCS community.

In NOLA, it's the only time the Times Picayune covers the program for something not negative. They had one or two stories daily. The game itself took up 2/3 of the Sunday front page and had considerable ink inside.

Well he lied! I was on the sidelines and the only seats not full was at the top of the Superdome.

TexasTerror
December 2nd, 2009, 10:26 PM
This guy has attended more Bayou Classics and games in the Superdome than you two combined...figure he has a good idea, just like you guys have a good idea that the reported attendance at your venues is wrong all the time! ;)

SUjagTILLiDIE
December 2nd, 2009, 11:32 PM
Well he lied! I was on the sidelines and the only seats not full was at the top of the Superdome.

The Terrace on SU's Side was pretty full. I was so disgusted with SU's performance, after halftime, I went to the Coars Light room in the SUper lounge SUite. It was of the meters. Had to be atleast 3-4,000 in there. xthumbsupx Live band, free food and all the drinks you can drank. :D

mikebigg
December 3rd, 2009, 03:31 AM
notice the attempts to belittle the crowd, the coverage, and everything else!!! Sad really!

SU Jag
December 3rd, 2009, 06:46 AM
Are we really suprised to read somthing like this from this "kat"? Mike, it was sad a few years ago, now this is just a joke.

TexasTerror
December 3rd, 2009, 09:01 AM
notice the attempts to belittle the crowd, the coverage, and everything else!!! Sad really!

The coverage from the media was great...the same people covering the game so well in the lead-up were the ones who wrote about the attendance..

The lack of discussion on this board by HBCUers is embarrassing...it was as if the game did not exist. Guess when there's nothing on the line, it does not matter...

bluedog
December 3rd, 2009, 09:08 AM
The coverage from the media was great...the same people covering the game so well in the lead-up were the ones who wrote about the attendance..

The lack of discussion on this board by HBCUers is embarrassing...it was as if the game did not exist. Guess when there's nothing on the line, it does not matter...

Basically what he's saying is that the city of Baton Rouge,New Orleans, Grambling , and the New Orleans Super Dome official conspires to commit fraud.

Sounds like another birther

mikebigg
December 3rd, 2009, 10:17 AM

The reluctance to discuss is due to past responses from those like you who spew negatives about the game, the conference, and our even playing it. That in and of itself isn't the issue...but whenever our response mentions the pettiness behind why you post, it is met with "warnings". Consequently, most of us said "the word" it!

TexasTerror
December 3rd, 2009, 10:49 AM
The reluctance to discuss is due to past responses from those like you who spew negatives about the game, the conference, and our even playing it. That in and of itself isn't the issue...but whenever our response mentions the pettiness behind why you post, it is met with "warnings". Consequently, most of us said "the word" it!

I do not personally attack any of you. Believe the moderators care more about personal attacks than something based on facts...

I just post how I see it and quite frankly, many others see it that way (heard as much from several members of the media, which is a regular occurrence) - just not willing to say it.

The SWAC is unfortunately not run as a Division I conference in many regards, from top to bottom. There's good people, good athletes in the SWAC, but as I've said before - it's same old, same old.

mikebigg
December 3rd, 2009, 11:54 AM
I do not personally attack any of you. Believe the moderators care more about personal attacks than something based on facts...

I just post how I see it and quite frankly, many others see it that way (heard as much from several members of the media, which is a regular occurrence) - just not willing to say it.

The SWAC is unfortunately not run as a Division I conference in many regards, from top to bottom. There's good people, good athletes in the SWAC, but as I've said before - it's same old, same old.

Seems you pass a lot of your opinions off as fact...

TexasTerror
December 3rd, 2009, 11:56 AM
Seems you pass a lot of your opinions off as fact...

A lot of what I say is fact from legitimate sources.

Unfortunately, whether you agree or not, is typically clouded by a false sense of expectations or knowledge of your program.

Most recent SWAC follies involve a SWAC school that was surprised when they were not listed on a school's announced 2010 schedule. Said school called the school a few weeks after the schedule was announced, thinking they had an agreement. The agreement was only as good as the paper it was signed on and considering no contract was ever sent from either direction, there was no game. That SWAC school had already posted their schedule (had not announced it) and were forced to take it down.

It is a matter of basics...basic expectations, basic requirements, basic needs...just ask Southern, the flagship baseball school of the conference, about it's inability to even schedule the max. amount of baseball games allowed. For a program and a fan base that feels it is deserving of an at-large, they sure do not put themselves in a good situation with the lack of games...

mikebigg
December 3rd, 2009, 12:30 PM
None of that takes away from the fact, that you researched negatives to post but still no mention or links of the game itself. That shows an obsession with bashing an entire league to satisfy whatever it is that makes your inner clock tick.

SUjagTILLiDIE
December 3rd, 2009, 02:45 PM
It is a matter of basics...basic expectations, basic requirements, basic needs...just ask Southern, the flagship baseball school of the conference, about it's inability to even schedule the max. amount of baseball games allowed. For a program and a fan base that feels it is deserving of an at-large, they sure do not put themselves in a good situation with the lack of games...
SU baseball schedules the amount of games they want to play. It seems to be working fine, we kicked the school you work for to sleep in both games xlolx.

PS. TT hows womens basketball going in the Southland xlolx .

TexasTerror
December 3rd, 2009, 02:51 PM
SU baseball schedules the amount of games they want to play. It seems to be working fine, we kicked the school you work for to sleep in both games xlolx.

Yet...you, Cador and all the others get upset when the NCAAs roll around. Same routine every year.

"Why do we always get shipped across town?"
"Why are we a No. 4 seed?"
"Why me, why now, why?"

You got the team during a down year and with a lame duck coach who knew he was going elsewhere. Everyone was beating them unfortunately. This coming year will be a bit different and in the years to come even more interesting, since Cador...well, I'll just keep my mouth shut. ;)

PS. TT hows womens basketball going in the Southland xlolx .

I've only seen two Southland schools play this year. Sorry...

I do get to see the 'flagship' women's program of the SWAC this weekend.

3rd Coast Tiger
December 3rd, 2009, 03:29 PM
Local leaders expect 100,000 football fans to pack the Big Easy for the Bayou Classic. Friday night, many filled the Superdome for the "Battle of the Bands." The fans were projected to bring in nealry $100 million to the city.

http://www.wdsu.com/money/21741803/detail.html

Congrats Southern & Grambling as the entire state benefits from the game. xthumbsupx

TexasTerror
December 3rd, 2009, 03:36 PM
Congrats Southern & Grambling as the entire state benefits from the game. xthumbsupx

Unfortunately...the whole state will NOT benefit from the game!

There's another thread about the poor spending and management of the state's finances. Louisiana is in dire straights. I'm sure that's something that Southern fans, Grambling fans and myself can agree on!xnonono2x

SU Jag
December 3rd, 2009, 06:48 PM

Has it ever hit you that maybe we're busy supporting our schools in other ways?xwhistlex Since I've been on this board(2005) you have been the most negative poster about anything HBCU, expecially the SWAC. Whenever someone writes anything positive, you come with some negative yig-yag that is no where near the truth. Case and point, on this very thread someone asked about the attendance and a SU alum who was at the game gave the figure, you post right after than giving us some BS that some mofo said about the dome being empty, then you throw your 2 cents about 30-35k being there. And if this was an isolated event, we would probably let it slide, but you've been on the same isht since 05 at least. xoopsx