PDA

View Full Version : Pitt RB to Liberty

Sly Fox
December 21st, 2005, 10:54 AM
It appears Pitt's Rashad Jennings who had a strong freshman season this fall is returning home to Lynchburg to transfer to Liberty. This is bigtime for our program that is obviously in need of a shot in the arm.

http://www.covers.com/images/2005/180x180/jennings_rashad.jpg

Rashad was Pitt's 2nd leading rusher averaging 86 yards/game.

grizband
December 21st, 2005, 04:24 PM
Good luck with him Sly. Sometimes all it takes is a player or two at a big position. Winning a couple more games each year will go along way to increasing recruiting and local interest.

Sly Fox
December 21st, 2005, 07:04 PM
As bad as our season was, we lost six of our last seven games by a touchdown or less. I don't think we'll be anywhere near as bad as our 2004 indicated.

RadMann
December 21st, 2005, 08:45 PM
Dave Wannstedt must be steaming. He does not like losing players to I-AA.

blukeys
December 21st, 2005, 09:03 PM

But He keeps on doing it Player after player after player after player.........

One has to wonder, Is Pitt recruiting a bunch of players who just want to leave I-A for I-AA ORRRR..........................is there another Problem????????

At any rate all of I-AA Thanks Dave Wannstadt for his brilliant approach to keeping players at the I-A level. May your stay at Pitt be long!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

By the way Dave your approach to keeping players in your program by not releasing them from their scholarships is real classy!!! Best of luck losing in the Big East again. Next stop for Dave a real good High School Program.

henfan
December 22nd, 2005, 07:53 AM
By the way Dave your approach to keeping players in your program by not releasing them from their scholarships is real classy!!! Best of luck losing in the Big East again.

I second that thought. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

hapapp
December 22nd, 2005, 10:35 AM
The Roanoke Times reports that he is considering several Virginia schools, one of which is LIberty. Apparently, his father is ill and he wants to be closer to home.

JMU Duke Dog
December 23rd, 2005, 02:04 PM
The Roanoke Times reports that he is considering several Virginia schools, one of which is LIberty. Apparently, his father is ill and he wants to be closer to home.

One of the schools he is considering is JMU.

colgate13
December 23rd, 2005, 02:23 PM
So this is not a done deal?

th0m
December 23rd, 2005, 04:17 PM
According to the JMU boards he has 2 brothers, one played at VMI, the other at Liberty. Could definitely have something to do with his decision-making.

UNH 40
December 23rd, 2005, 05:01 PM
The dumbest rule in NCAA football is the fact that players that drop a level in competition get to play right away and the players like Lofa Tatupo lose a year when they move up. Shawn Johnson is a perfect example of how this is so flawed. Three years ago Shawn Johnson transfered from Duke where he was first team all-acc to Delaware for just his senior season and completly dominated opposing tackles. He was a huge reason that Delaware was so good that season. Now it looks as though Montana is going to be this years recipient of all the transfers and I believe it makes them one of if not the best team in I-AA. The rule is rediculous and needs to be switched.

Tod
December 23rd, 2005, 07:33 PM
The dumbest rule in NCAA football is the fact that players that drop a level in competition get to play right away and the players like Lofa Tatupo lose a year when they move up. Shawn Johnson is a perfect example of how this is so flawed. Three years ago Shawn Johnson transfered from Duke where he was first team all-acc to Delaware for just his senior season and completly dominated opposing tackles. He was a huge reason that Delaware was so good that season. Now it looks as though Montana is going to be this years recipient of all the transfers and I believe it makes them one of if not the best team in I-AA. The rule is rediculous and needs to be switched.

I disagree, and not because I'm a Griz fan. I understand that by returning Santos and Ball you're expecting huge things for UNH. I am too.

But I think the rule works for two reasons:

1. If you move down, it's because you want to PLAY. Some would rather move down than sit on the bench their whole college career.

2. If a player can move up and play immediately, there's less incentive to stay where you are. I thinks it's somewhat rare to see a player move up, but this rule at least makes a player think about it. Santos could move to a I-A program if he wanted to.

What would you propose?

FlyBoy8
December 23rd, 2005, 09:20 PM
He would probably propose that every transfer sit out a year. Oh, you're stuck behind a future draft pick that's younger than you? Too bad. A/B average student? Great guy? Hey, that's tough. It wouldn't be fair if you transferred down (for what reason, I'm not sure), so even though you're a talented football player and good people, your career is over before it began. Guess you should have known better when you were 17 and had coaches coming to visit you at your house and telling you how great you were. You should have known then, as a high-schooler, how the system works and turned them down for a I-AA school, even though I-AA schools weren't recruiting you because you were "too good."

Oh wait, that makes no sense.

Give me a break. If someone keeps their grades up, they should be able to drop down and go wherever they want without penalty. The current transfer rules at least allow some compensation for kids that get screwed coming out of high school.

If you want some kind of penalty for kids that transfer down because they got booted off their previous team, that's different. But Shawn Johnson graduated from Duke in four years with a degree in some pre-med field with a long name and he wanted to win a couple games before his eligibility ran out. Duke had won like three games in his four years there, so even though he was all-conference and ALREADY projected to be drafted, he transferred down. I fail to see the problem.

Here's a funny fact: if Shawn Johnson had slacked off in school and not graduated in four years, he would have gone to the Patriot League, but since he graduated on time like a normal student despite playing ACC ball, the PL wouldn't accept him.

UNH 40
December 24th, 2005, 07:57 AM
He would probably propose that every transfer sit out a year. Oh, you're stuck behind a future draft pick that's younger than you? Too bad. A/B average student? Great guy? Hey, that's tough. It wouldn't be fair if you transferred down (for what reason, I'm not sure), so even though you're a talented football player and good people, your career is over before it began. Guess you should have known better when you were 17 and had coaches coming to visit you at your house and telling you how great you were. You should have known then, as a high-schooler, how the system works and turned them down for a I-AA school, even though I-AA schools weren't recruiting you because you were "too good."

Oh wait, that makes no sense.

Give me a break. If someone keeps their grades up, they should be able to drop down and go wherever they want without penalty. The current transfer rules at least allow some compensation for kids that get screwed coming out of high school.

If you want some kind of penalty for kids that transfer down because they got booted off their previous team, that's different. But Shawn Johnson graduated from Duke in four years with a degree in some pre-med field with a long name and he wanted to win a couple games before his eligibility ran out. Duke had won like three games in his four years there, so even though he was all-conference and ALREADY projected to be drafted, he transferred down. I fail to see the problem.

Here's a funny fact: if Shawn Johnson had slacked off in school and not graduated in four years, he would have gone to the Patriot League, but since he graduated on time like a normal student despite playing ACC ball, the PL wouldn't accept him.

I know shawn johnson pretty well and the fact of the matter is that he wanted to win a national championship that is why he transfered. Before he went to duke he knew they were a crappy team, he just wanted the duke degree. He got the degree and packed it up and left so he could win a national championship. He went to delaware and completely dominated for his redshirt senior year. That is a complete joke it is rediculous, he wanted less of a challenge. Then a kid like Lofa Tatupo decides he wants to challenge himself and move to I-AA and he gets penalized for it. Give me a break, it can't be a one way thing. If one player has to sit out for transfering up then the one transfering down should definitely be penalized.

eaglesrthe1
December 24th, 2005, 08:44 AM
The transfer up rule is to prevent IA schools from raiding every IAA program of their stars by offering immediate playing time. The top IAA players that in many cases have been already passed upon by IA coaches would be snatched up. It also prevents IAA from doing the same thing to the lower divisions.

Tribe4SF
December 24th, 2005, 08:51 AM
The transfer up rule is to prevent IA schools from raiding every IAA program of their stars by offering immediate playing time. The top IAA players that in many cases have been already passed upon by IA coaches would be snatched up. It also prevents IAA from doing the same thing to the lower divisions.

Thank you! :beerchug:

UNH40 should consider that if you could transfer up and play immediately, you might still have Santos, but Ball would be gone.

UNH 40
December 24th, 2005, 11:18 AM
All transfers should have to miss a year that is all i am saying.

youwouldno
December 24th, 2005, 02:49 PM
I agree. It wouldn't take long, if the rule was changed, that recruiting dynamics would change as well. My only concern would be that a lot of guys might go the JC route, hoping to land at a I-A after a year or two rather than accept a I-AA offer. Of course, a fair number already do that.

It's a tough issue because, I'm a Furman fan, and we got Ingle Martin for 2 years thanks to the current regime. But nonetheless, as it is now, I think the net result is to strengthen I-A at the expense of I-AA. The latter becomes a fallback position for players that either are not getting a lot of PT or those that get in trouble.

How to change it exactly, I don't know. But the current system is not good for I-AA. What I-AA needs is not the occasional Ochs, Martin, etc., but a more even playing field with the bigger schools. Changing the transfer rules could accomplish that.

blukeys
December 24th, 2005, 03:18 PM
I know shawn johnson pretty well and the fact of the matter is that he wanted to win a national championship that is why he transfered. Before he went to duke he knew they were a crappy team, he just wanted the duke degree. He got the degree and packed it up and left so he could win a national championship. He went to delaware and completely dominated for his redshirt senior year. That is a complete joke it is rediculous, he wanted less of a challenge. Then a kid like Lofa Tatupo decides he wants to challenge himself and move to I-AA and he gets penalized for it. Give me a break, it can't be a one way thing. If one player has to sit out for transfering up then the one transfering down should definitely be penalized.

You obviously don't know Shawn Johnson very well. We have been over this issue about 100 times now and still people post BS!!!!.

OK one more time for those who do not bother to check the facts. :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

1. Shawn Johnson's original choice for a school to transfer to was Fordham where his Brother played and which was closer to his family who lived in New York. While Fordham was a solid PL team they were hardly a guarantee to win a National Championship. If all Johnson wanted was to win a NC his first choice could have been GSU, Delaware, or even Montana but that is not the case. Johnson made no bones about the fact that he was tired of losing at Duke but his first choice to transfer was to Fordham to play with his brother on a winning team and not to a I-AA power to win a NC.

2. Johnson was admitted to grad school at Fordham and was ready to join the team when Fordham Coach Dave Clawson discovered a Patriot League rule that would not allow grad students of play. Had Johnson fallen 3 credits shy of his undergrad degree, he would have been eligible to play at Fordham with his brother.

3. Clawson contacted then UD defensive coordinator Dave Cohen who had been the Fordham DC prior to going to Delaware. Clawson knew that Johnson would be able to play in the A-10 since graduate students could play according to A-10 rules.

4. Johnson toured the UD campus and transferred but was a spot starter for the first few games due to a bum shoulder and lack of familiarity with the UD defensive schemes. Dave Cohen only really used Johnson effectively in the last one third of the season.

5. Yes Johnson was an impact player but he had 2 linemates who were also Buchanan contenders during their senior seasons, Tom Parks and Chris Mooney. These 3 dominant D-Linemen in coordination with each other made life hell for opposing O-Linemnen. Johnson benefitted because double teaming him meant single teaming Mooney and Parks who were also very dangerous.

You are 100% wrong factually about Shawn Johnson and wrong about the transfer issue as well. How about actually finding all the facts before you post total nonsense!!!!! :spank: :spank: :spank: :spank: :spank:

libertyfanatic066
January 4th, 2006, 05:09 PM
Jennings left Pitt for family reasons, that's all. I think he is only picking us because we're closest to his home in Forest, but whatever the reason, I'll take him.

I don't think it's really fair to indict Wannstedt for "not being able to keep his players in I-A". After all, this makes 2 players who left, and anytime a new coach comes to a program, there's a flood of transfers, both in and out. I think the Jennings move has a lot more to do with staying close to home than it does with whether or not he's being granted a release.

carney2
January 4th, 2006, 07:45 PM

I doubt if Wannstedt is losing any sleep over this. Word has it that he is having a bang up recruiting year, and he has mended all the fences with the Western PA high school coaches that Walt Harris ignored during his entire tenure. Despite the 2005 problems, the Pitt faithful are still expecting big things from their fellow alum.

seahawks13
January 5th, 2006, 08:16 AM
he is transferring to be closer to home and be with his father. It has nothing to do with Pitt or his relationship with Wannstedt. For you Delaware fans who are complaining about Flacco not being released from his scholly, Wannstedt had no other choice. It was Palko and Flacco, no coach in his right mind is going to release his ONLY other quarterback. He's a good player but probably fits in better at Delaware. Just clearing some stuff up...BTW before you guys go bashing programs and players, try and get some facts straight first. Much appreciated! GO SEAHAWKS!

Sly Fox
January 6th, 2006, 10:59 AM
For the record, bothe the Roanoke & Lynchburg fishwraps confirm Jennings to Liberty:

Jennings decides to transfer to LU

By Chris Lang
Lynchburg News & Advance
January 6, 2006

His father's failing health at the front of his mind, Rashad Jennings wanted to return to Forest to be closer to his family after spending his freshman year at the University of Pittsburgh.

Thursday, he said he will be playing much closer to home during the 2006 college football season.

Jennings, an LCA grad, has transferred to Liberty and will start school later this month when the spring semester begins. Since he is transferring from a Division I-A to a I-AA school, he will not have to sit out a season and will be eligible to play next season.

"I don't want to leave all the burden on my mom," Jennings said. "When my football career is all said and done, the only thing that's going to matter to me is the loved ones. I'd rather be spending my time closer to them.

"I love the Pitt program and coach Wannstedt and the fans, but it's just that we all have to take different routes to get somewhere. Pittsburgh was not working for me."

In one year at Pittsburgh, Jennings rushed for 411 yards and one touchdown in eight games while splitting time with LaRod Stephens-Howling.

At 6-foot-1, 240 pounds, Jennings will give the Flames a bruising complement to tailback Zach Terrell in the backfield.

It will likely give Terrell some flexibility, too. The Big South freshman of the year, Terrell also saw time as a receiver, slot back and a quarterback last year.

Jennings also considered Virginia, but Pittsburgh coach Dave Wannstedt would not release Jennings from his scholarship if he chose to go there. Jennings wasn't interested in appealing to the NCAA to get released, either.

Instead, playing at Liberty satisfied his desire to play never home and make the transition to another school as painless as possible.

"I use football as a platform for ministry," Jennings said. "No other school can provide an education in that field aside from Liberty."

http://newsadvance.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=LNA%2FMGArticle%2FLNA_BasicArti cle&c=MGArticle&cid=1128769136863&path=!sports