App State-- 16,000

Smallest Schools-- Holy Cross-- 2,800
Richmond-- 4,250
ScState-- 4,800

Oldest School-- Bill and Mary-- 1693

Youngest School-- McNeese STate- 1939

Private Schools-- 4

Public--12

Interestingly all four private schools play each other in first round. We could have a private school NC for second consecutive year-- which has never happened before.

Most intimidating mascot-- Montana-- Grizzlies

Most tame mascot-- SDSU-- JackRabitt

Animals and insects as mascots: rabbitts, spiders, eagles, bulldogs, cats (wildcats, panthers), salukiis, phoenix (pigeons on fire)

Last year with only 16, next year 20 get in, including autobids for: Big South, NEC

elon77
November 25th, 2009, 09:45 PM
Largest Schools-- Weber State-- 23,000 Plus
So. Illinois-- 20,000
App State-- 16,000

Smallest Schools-- Holy Cross-- 2,800
Richmond-- 4,250
ScState-- 4,800

Oldest School-- Bill and Mary-- 1693

Youngest School-- McNeese STate- 1939

Private Schools-- 4

Public--12

Interestingly all four private schools play each other in first round. We could have a private school NC for second consecutive year-- which has never happened before.

Most intimidating mascot-- Montana-- Grizzlies

Most tame mascot-- SDSU-- JackRabitt

Animals and insects as mascots: rabbitts, spiders, eagles, bulldogs, cats (wildcats, panthers), salukiis, phoenix (pigeons on fire)

Last year with only 16, next year 20 get in, including autobids for: Big South, NEC

Most intimidating former mascot-- Fighting Christians, is that a play on words Fighting Christians?xconfusedx

Catsfan2
November 25th, 2009, 09:52 PM
Interesting, the 4 private schools are paired together in the first round.

jmc_jackrabbit
November 25th, 2009, 10:10 PM
Don't know if I'd call them tame. Unintimidating, maybe. But Jackrabbits are 3' tall, mangy, mean critters. We're not talking cottontails here.

http://www.coyotecanada.ca/jackrabbit_I.jpg

I also understand there is a killer rabbit in England that has a vicious streak a mile wide. Look at the bones!

http://www.speckproducts.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/rabbit-montypython.jpg

Poker Alan
November 25th, 2009, 10:21 PM
phoenix (pigeons on fire)

Ummm, no... really, pigeons on fire? Have you taken any mythology classes? xsmiley_wix

JMUNJ08
November 25th, 2009, 10:54 PM
Didn't know that Weber St. was the largest school. Very odd...us ECB people have a hard time believing you guys are bigger than us...

paward
November 25th, 2009, 11:02 PM
I thought we had a about 3000 students.

Bogus Megapardus
November 25th, 2009, 11:06 PM
If the Crusaders end up playing the Fighting Christians, whose side will God be on?

xprayx

boonedocks
November 25th, 2009, 11:07 PM
Don't know if I'd call them tame. Unintimidating, maybe. But Jackrabbits are 3' tall, mangy, mean critters. We're not talking cottontails here.

I also understand there is a killer rabbit in England that has a vicious streak a mile wide. Look at the bones!

http://www.speckproducts.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/rabbit-montypython.jpg

Bravo Sir! xsmileyclapxxsmileyclapxxsmileyclapxxsmileyclapx

Sincerely,
A Knight who says Ni!

yorkcountyUNHfan
November 25th, 2009, 11:43 PM

Ummm, no... really, pigeons on fire? Have you taken any mythology classes? xsmiley_wix

Or 5th grade sciencexrotatehx

Poker Alan
November 25th, 2009, 11:46 PM
Or 5th grade sciencexrotatehx

should have mentioned spelling in my first post, also...

Screamin_Eagle174
November 25th, 2009, 11:46 PM

Also, with similarly large ears, the jackrabbit can be mistaken for a donkey (or Ass) at a distance. :D

yorkcountyUNHfan
November 25th, 2009, 11:48 PM
should have mentioned spelling in my first post, also...

xoopsx

AppStateold299
November 25th, 2009, 11:54 PM

I have to applaud your research into the killer rabbit. You are right they are not tame at all.

wr70beh
November 26th, 2009, 12:37 AM
I thought we had a about 3000 students.

Undergrads number around 3000.

If you throw in the Law School, Grad school, SCS...it gets up to about 4250.

http://oir.richmond.edu/Factbook2008/Enrollment_08.pdf (last years numbers)

elon77
November 26th, 2009, 01:45 AM
Also, with similarly large ears, the jackrabbit can be mistaken for a donkey (or Ass) at a distance. :D

Most schools have some fans who can be mistaken for the same thing and I don't mean donkey's.xlolx

seattlespider
November 26th, 2009, 01:46 AM

Fantastic. xlolx

Torgo
November 26th, 2009, 01:47 AM
Most intimidating former mascot-- Fighting Christians, is that a play on words Fighting Christians?xconfusedx

Hey hey...the Crusades are a lot more frightening than a bunny that's got huge, sharp...er...

LOOK AT THE BONES!

R.A.
November 26th, 2009, 02:19 AM
South Carolina State College used to have a Law School... but after the intergration of The University of South Carolina's Law School, the State of South Carolina took it away.

james_lawfirm
November 26th, 2009, 02:23 AM

Have you played Leon lately?

BearIt
November 26th, 2009, 03:02 AM
Weber state is named after early fur trader John Henry Weber.

It is located at the foot of the Wasatch range with multiple peaks over 10,000 feet

They have the best skiing in the world right out their back door with 11 ski resorts within 1 hour drive, which includes: Alta, Snowbird, Park City, the Canyons, Deer Valley, Snow Basin, Powder Mountain, Solitude, and Brighton.

BearIt once had an epic Utah vacation and skied 8 of them in 10 days. It snowed 36 inches on day 2. It was a religious experience for a not very religious manxprayx. I can't wait to go back.

Ogden is on my short list of areas to move to once the housing market straightens out.

Native
November 26th, 2009, 03:14 AM
If the Crusaders end up playing the Fighting Christians, whose side will God be on?

xprayx

Cardinal to Pope: Your Holiness, I have some good news and bad news. Which do you want first?

Pope: Give me the good news!

Cardinal: It's Jesus on the phone, He wants to speak to you.

Pope: That is wonderful, my son! How could there possibly be any bad news?

Cardinal: He is calling from Ogden, Utah. xsmiley_wix

Grrrrriz
November 26th, 2009, 03:22 AM
Cardinal to Pope: Your Holiness, I have some good news and bad news. Which do you want first?

Pope: Give me the good news!

Cardinal: It's Jesus on the phone, He wants to speak to you.

Pope: That is wonderful, my son! How could there possibly be any bad news?

Cardinal: He is calling from Ogden, Utah.

xsmileyclapxxsmileyclapxxsmileyclapx

That is pretty damn funny. I have never come across more self-aware fans willing to joke about their states reputation than some of these Weber guys.

art vandelay
November 26th, 2009, 04:44 AM

hahahaha awesome. what's he gonna do nibble on your bum.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
November 26th, 2009, 04:49 AM
Weber state is named after early fur trader John Henry Weber.

It is located at the foot of the Wasatch range with multiple peaks over 10,000 feet

They have the best skiing in the world right out their back door with 11 ski resorts within 1 hour drive, which includes: Alta, Snowbird, Park City, the Canyons, Deer Valley, Snow Basin, Powder Mountain, Solitude, and Brighton.

BearIt once had an epic Utah vacation and skied 8 of them in 10 days. It snowed 36 inches on day 2. It was a religious experience for a not very religious manxprayx. I can't wait to go back.

Ogden is on my short list of areas to move to once the housing market straightens out.

If you can get out of your house now, it's a good time to buy down here.

ejjones
November 26th, 2009, 06:06 AM
SCSU has 3 NFL Hall of Famers!

Marion Motley, FB, 1946-56, Cleveland
David "Deacon" Jones, DL 1961-1974, Los Angeles
Harry Carson, LB, 1976-1988, NY Giants

Sader87
November 26th, 2009, 06:17 AM
Well, Holy Cross being the best Catholic undergraduate liberal arts institution at the D1 level, I think God will be on our side Saturday.

PhoenixMan
November 26th, 2009, 06:19 AM

xprayx

Notre Dame. HE always pulls for Notre Dame

Go...gate
November 26th, 2009, 06:23 AM

xprayx

Whichever side throws a better tailgate. :D

Go...gate
November 26th, 2009, 06:24 AM
Notre Dame. HE always pulls for Notre Dame

The Big Guy (and I'm not talking Charlie Weis) has a pretty hard pull in that situation. Some work to do for my favorite I-A program.

Grizo406
November 26th, 2009, 08:26 AM
Most schools have some fans who can be mistaken for the same thing and I don't mean donkey's.xlolx

The Jackrabbits are playing a game this Saturday that proves your point almost perfectly!xwhistlexxwhistlexxwhistlex

89Hen
November 26th, 2009, 09:00 AM
Do the tidbits have to be interesting?

UNH played the first ever regular season overtime game at Delaware Stadium in 1986 with the current overtime rules. The Yankee Conference was the first to adopt the "Kansas Plan" OT currently used by the NCAA.

ngineer
November 26th, 2009, 09:13 AM
Well, Holy Cross being the best Catholic undergraduate liberal arts institution at the D1 level, I think God will be on our side Saturday.

They don't call them "Hail Mary's" for nothin'...Gawd, just think if the Crusaders were playing the Fightin' Falwells!!:D

URMite
November 26th, 2009, 11:50 AM
How about that the 2 teams that played the most playoff games last year are playing the 2 teams that haven't played an FCS playoff game yet?

clawman
November 26th, 2009, 01:23 PM
[QUOTE=jmc_jackrabbit;1477158]Don't know if I'd call them tame. Unintimidating, maybe. But Jackrabbits are 3' tall, mangy, mean critters. We're not talking cottontails here.

3" tall?? They must be growing a lot larger now than when I was a kid growing up in Aberdeen. 3" long maybe (when they are squashed by a truck(or Grizzly)), but not tall.

MSU_77
November 26th, 2009, 01:36 PM
McNeese State's Joe Dumars was inducted into the NBA Hall of Fame in 2006. He is currently the President of the Detroit Pistons. He finished his college career at McNeese as the 11th highest scorer in collegiate history. With the Pistons, Dumars won two NBA championships and was the MVP in the 1989 NBA finals. He was selcted to the NBA All-Star team six times. Joe's brother, David, is currently an assistant basketball coach at McNeese.

AshevilleApp
November 26th, 2009, 02:56 PM
The highest elevation hosting city of the first round of the playoffs is Boone, NC at 3266 FT just edging Missoula, MT at 3209 FT. Ogden, UT would be the highest playoff team city at 4300 FT.

art vandelay
November 26th, 2009, 04:04 PM
what is the lowest elevation? It must be McNeese.

McNeese72
November 26th, 2009, 04:48 PM
what is the lowest elevation? It must be McNeese.

Well the playing field of "The Hole" is below sea level because it really is a hole in the ground. The bottom section of the stands is below ground level.

Doc

Aho_Old_Guy
November 26th, 2009, 06:08 PM
Re: Interesting tidbits about playoff teams

The home of Appalachian State, Boone, North Carolina, was named after Boone's Farm (Yep. Where they make the wine ...)

Grrrrriz
November 27th, 2009, 01:10 PM
Here is another interesting tidbit...Out of all the playoff teams, nay, out of the entire the entire FCS Montana has the coolest team logo.

Check it out:

http://media.kfbb.com/images/griz_pantone2081.jpg

I know you are going to tell me this is just opinion, but it has been proven through scientific experimentation and validated by multiple non-biased scientific journals. I hear one time this logo even cured cancer, helped deliver 2 babies that will one day be senators. and fed a starving village of 10,000 people in one of the most poverty stricken countries of post communist Russia. Those are for real Griz logo facts.

AppAlum2003
November 27th, 2009, 01:13 PM
The highest elevation hosting city of the first round of the playoffs is Boone, NC at 3266 FT just edging Missoula, MT at 3209 FT. Ogden, UT would be the highest playoff team city at 4300 FT.

Really? Wow... didn't realize that Boone was higher up than Missoula. Granted, the surrounding mountains are probably higher up than the NC mountains. But still - didn't realize the stadiums were so close in elevation.

Grrrrriz
November 27th, 2009, 01:15 PM
Really? Wow... didn't realize that Boone was higher up than Missoula. Granted, the surrounding mountains are probably higher up than the NC mountains. But still - didn't realize the stadiums were so close in elevation.

Missoula is actually nestled down in a valley formed by glacial lake Missoula. Its a lot lower than the rest of Western Montana for that reason.

AppAlum2003
November 27th, 2009, 01:16 PM
Missoula is actually nestled down in a valley formed by glacial lake Missoula. Its a lot lower than the rest of Western Montana for that reason.

Thanks. Now I know - and knowing is half the battle!

AshevilleApp
November 27th, 2009, 01:19 PM

Well I went by the elevation quoted by city sites....I'll try and dig up elevations of stadiums....

Kidd Brewer - 3280 ft
Washington - Grizzly - 3190 ft

Grrrrriz
November 27th, 2009, 01:22 PM
Well I went by the elevation quoted by city sites....I'll try and dig up elevations of stadiums....

Kidd Brewer - 3280 ft
Washington - Grizzly - 3190 ft

I am not sure what the Griz' stadium elevation is, but I know its even lower than the elevation of Missoula as the field sits about 20 to 30 feet underground.