PDA

View Full Version : Delaware Stadium Going to Turf for 2010

93henfan
November 25th, 2009, 06:13 AM
http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20091124/SPORTS07/91124051/UD+to+install+artificial+turf+at+Delaware+Stadium

In December, the Delaware Stadium grass surface will be removed and a new synthetic FieldTurf field will be installed, the University of Delaware announced tonight.

Work is scheduled to begin on Dec. 1 and is expected to be completed in time for spring football practice and lacrosse season in March.

“This is just one of several improvements we plan to take as we enhance the footprint of our athletics facilities here at the University of Delaware,” UD Director of Athletics Bernard Muir said in a press release ....

Bogus Megapardus
November 25th, 2009, 06:50 AM
TubbyTurf?

LacesOut
November 25th, 2009, 08:22 AM
'Bout time.

henfan
November 25th, 2009, 08:50 AM
We finally got it right after wasting millions on a so-called natural surface.xthumbsupx

kdinva
November 25th, 2009, 09:07 AM
We finally got it right after wasting millions on a so-called natural surface.xthumbsupx

Great move, UDelaware, especially after that week (2005?) where you had to move your home game with Richmond, to Richmond:(.

Now, if venues like Heinz Field (with 20x $$$) would do the same........

Ivytalk
November 25th, 2009, 09:11 AM
And maybe they'll even have a good team to play on it!xcoolx

BDKJMU
November 25th, 2009, 09:31 AM
Sad to see it seems hardly anyone plays on grass anymore...xsmhx football was made to be played in the grass and mud...xnodx

soccerguy315
November 25th, 2009, 10:20 AM
Sad to see it seems hardly anyone plays on grass anymore...xsmhx football was made to be played in the grass and mud...xnodx

I agree

LacesOut
November 25th, 2009, 10:25 AM

Uhhh, yeah, back in the 'golden days'. Please join us in the new generation of football. This is 2009, not 1979. LOL

I only played HS ball, and JMO, but I HATED playing in the rain/mud. HATED IT.

soccerguy315
November 25th, 2009, 10:38 AM
there is no substitute for a top quality natural grass field. Maybe it doesn't matter as much for football, but there is a reason international soccer games are only played on grass fields.

I know grass fields are way harder to maintain though

WestCoastAggie
November 25th, 2009, 10:39 AM
Great move, UDelaware, especially after that week (2005?) where you had to move your home game with Richmond, to Richmond:(.

Not going to happen! They like the advantage it gives them, especially in the colder months.

DTSpider
November 25th, 2009, 11:03 AM
Does anyone in the CAA have natural grass anymore?

Richmond's new stadium is turf as well. It's a real shame as the grass at City Stadium is one of the best surfaces you'll find. I was on it last week after the game and it was still in great shape.

soccerguy315
November 25th, 2009, 11:17 AM
all the CAA south + ODU (I think) will be on turf next year. Maine and UNH also have turf, not sure about the others in the north.

Ivytalk
November 25th, 2009, 06:47 PM
TubbyTurf?

xoutofrepx

xlolxxhurrayx

Excellent!

andy7171
November 25th, 2009, 07:09 PM
Score this one point for MPLSbison!

bluehenbillk
November 25th, 2009, 07:11 PM
Was surprised to read this morning that URI will be the only CAA team with a natural grass field left.

Torgo
November 25th, 2009, 07:27 PM

Never, its a great home field advantage.

89Hen
November 26th, 2009, 01:25 AM
there is no substitute for a top quality natural grass field. Maybe it doesn't matter as much for football, but there is a reason international soccer games are only played on grass fields.

I know grass fields are way harder to maintain though
Agreed, but for some reason they've had a tough time growing grass in the Tub. Makes no sense as the climate is fine and they can use spriklers. xconfusedx

aust42
November 26th, 2009, 01:48 AM

Dam right.

BloomHusky'01
November 26th, 2009, 01:51 AM
Natural grass fields are becoming extinct (again). I do miss the grass, but the new style of artificial turf just makes too much sense for most schools to ignore. Its especially great for high schools and smaller colleges that play multiple sports on the same surface. Once installed, the maintenance is so minimal compared to grass.

I'm okay with artificial football fields as long as there are no soccer lines painted on it.

SDSUJacks
November 26th, 2009, 01:53 AM
I like grass personally. We are the only ones left in the MVFC with a grass field, and it doesn't look like we are switching anytime soon. Gotta love those rainy games on a real grass field, fun stuff!

soccerguy315
November 26th, 2009, 01:58 AM
N
I'm okay with artificial football fields as long as there are no soccer lines painted on it.

yea... the turf fields permanently painted with lines for soccer and football and lacrosse are terrible. xthumbsdownx

yosef1969
November 26th, 2009, 02:03 AM

Yeah! and basketball was meant to be played with peach baskets...;)

89Hen
November 26th, 2009, 02:04 AM
I like grass personally.
So do the players.

mlbowl
November 26th, 2009, 02:07 AM
I like grass personally.

Hugs not drugs!:p

GannonFan
November 26th, 2009, 02:08 AM
Grass is great and potentially more cost effective than a synthetic surface. However, only if you're not going to use the field that much. When UD played only football in the Stadium, and a few other events (graduation for instance) you're talking about only 10-20 events per year. Grass is fine in that case. But as the article says, UD wants to practice in the stadium at times and now they want to house both the men's and women's lacrosse games there. Just no way that grass can hold up under that kind of year round use.

SDSUJacks
November 26th, 2009, 02:08 AM
Hugs not drugs!:p

Good spin. :p

bluehenbillk
November 26th, 2009, 02:34 AM
So do the players.

Actually, that's dated. Many players prefer playing on the newer field turfs out there. I wonder how much Josh Baker loves grass?

henfan
November 26th, 2009, 04:07 AM
Grass is great and potentially more cost effective than a synthetic surface.

Not when you have to replace the entire surface every few years due to neglect or improper subsurface installation. The field this season looked terrible, with huge chunks of the stuff flying up almost everytime someone made a cut.

In a perfect climate with proper care, grass is terrific. In other words, it's not for UD.

Redwyn
November 26th, 2009, 04:08 AM

Heinz Field is intentionally grass. Grass is typically seen most favorably in a running game, limits kick distance, and gives the defense the upper hand. I doubt they'd sacrifice that.

MplsBison
November 26th, 2009, 04:10 AM

NFL needs to force Heinz to go to fieldturf. They have no excuse with high school, Pitt and Steelers playing there.

MplsBison
November 26th, 2009, 04:11 AM
I like grass personally. We are the only ones left in the MVFC with a grass field, and it doesn't look like we are switching anytime soon. Gotta love those rainy games on a real grass field, fun stuff!

Won't be long. Turf is next after Dykhouse is complete.

93henfan
November 26th, 2009, 04:20 AM
Won't be long. Turf is next after Dykhouse is complete.

Is that what they call the men's restroom at SDSU?

MplsBison
November 26th, 2009, 04:21 AM
Is that what they call the men's restroom at SDSU?

No, those are currently called "Port-a-potty".

Dykhouse is the new endzone complex that is being built at SDSU's football stadium. Very nice facility, top class.

First top of the line football facility that Stig will have to work with.

WestCoastAggie
November 26th, 2009, 04:30 AM
Dam right.

From my football experience, as fun as it is playing in the mud, This Artificial Turf is a better idea. A lot of Schools in the Los Angeles are going to field turf especially schools in the Los Angeles Unified School District. Most of those High School fields are nothing more than dirt bowls and there is not traction. Ideal conditions for tearing up knees.

89Hen
November 26th, 2009, 04:32 AM
Actually, that's dated. Many players prefer playing on the newer field turfs out there.
Not true.
2008/09 NFLPA ranked these as the top 5:

1 Arizona - grass
2 Tampa Bay - grass
3 San Diego - grass
4 Carolina - grass
5 Indianapolis - FieldTurf

Seahawks Fan
November 26th, 2009, 04:53 AM
Notre Dame still has grass. And it looks it.

Monarch Nation
November 26th, 2009, 04:59 AM
We have Field Turf, but I gotta admit there something not right about "3 yards and a cloud of rubber pellets."

kdinva
November 26th, 2009, 05:28 AM
NFL needs to force Heinz to go to fieldturf. They have no excuse with high school, Pitt and Steelers playing there.
Gillette Stadium was grass, but after multiple FB games and lots of soccer, they switched about 3 years ago.........their former grass field looked like hell by Dec. 1st, like Heinz does now.

MplsBison
November 26th, 2009, 05:30 AM
Not true.
2008/09 NFLPA ranked these as the top 5:

1 Arizona - grass
2 Tampa Bay - grass
3 San Diego - grass
4 Carolina - grass
5 Indianapolis - FieldTurf

Nothing wrong with a well maintained ($$$$$$$$$$$$$$) grass field in a climate that can support it when the stadium is used only for football games, maybe once every two weeks on average.

caribbeanhen
November 26th, 2009, 05:40 AM
xnodx

Go...gate
November 26th, 2009, 06:53 AM

Agreed.

Go...gate
November 26th, 2009, 06:54 AM
Nothing wrong with a well maintained ($$$$$$$$$$$$$$) grass field in a climate that can support it when the stadium is used only for football games, maybe once every two weeks on average.

L.A. Coliseum is a good example.

YoUDeeMan
November 26th, 2009, 07:20 AM
Uhhh, yeah, back in the 'golden days'. Please join us in the new generation of football. This is 2009, not 1979. LOL

Soft. xrolleyesx

soccerguy315
November 26th, 2009, 07:29 AM
We have Field Turf, but I gotta admit there something not right about "3 yards and a cloud of rubber pellets."

turf turds are obnoxious in your shoe.

MplsBison
November 26th, 2009, 08:01 AM
L.A. Coliseum is a good example.

Right.

That's not many FCS schools.

aust42
November 26th, 2009, 09:02 AM
Actually, that's dated. Many players prefer playing on the newer field turfs out there. I wonder how much Josh Baker loves grass?

Incorrect. I can assure you that football players overwhelmingly prefer playing on grass. Back when I played none of us liked the fake surface. Of course that was back when artificial turf was a pool table cover rolled over a half inch of foam with a cement base. But even today's players will tell you that playing on grass is their preference. Boys love to get dirty and muddy.

"In a 2008 survey of 1,565 active players from all 32 teams in the league, 71.7% of players said they prefer to play on natural grass compared to 15% who prefer artificial infilled turf. 11% indicated they had no preference."

http://www.murffturf.com/en/art/14/

aust42
November 26th, 2009, 09:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LacesOut View Post

Soft. xrolleyesx

Probably a Mama's boy. xlolx

Spiderbite10
November 26th, 2009, 09:51 AM
I kinda enjoyed being at the UR Del game this year and seeing those goal line stands...in the rain...with the linemen creating trenches essentially in the muddy grass.

GannonFan
November 26th, 2009, 09:52 AM
I kinda enjoyed being at the UR Del game this year and seeing those goal line stands...in the rain...with the linemen creating trenches essentially in the muddy grass.

I don't recall it raining during the game - I thought the rain ended well before kickoff. xscanx

Spiderbite10
November 26th, 2009, 09:58 AM
I don't recall it raining during the game - I thought the rain ended well before kickoff. xscanx

My mistake...it rained a lot before the game (right up to kickoff) is what I meant...still made it sloppy conditions.

89Hen
November 26th, 2009, 01:36 PM
If by "well before" you mean 10 minutes. xsmiley_wix We sat and drank our beers in the car, but you are correct, it didn't rain a drop during the game.

MplsBison
November 26th, 2009, 01:48 PM
Incorrect. I can assure you that football players overwhelmingly prefer playing on grass. Back when I played none of us liked the fake surface. Of course that was back when artificial turf was a pool table cover rolled over a half inch of foam with a cement base. But even today's players will tell you that playing on grass is their preference. Boys love to get dirty and muddy.

"In a 2008 survey of 1,565 active players from all 32 teams in the league, 71.7% of players said they prefer to play on natural grass compared to 15% who prefer artificial infilled turf. 11% indicated they had no preference."

http://www.murffturf.com/en/art/14/

Survey is flawed as it does not take into account how poor grass does in certain weather and wear conditions.

I doubt highly 71% would prefer Pittsburgh's bullcrap surface in December.

Sure, if the grass is very well maintained ($$$$$$$$$), if it's in the correct climate for growing good grass and the field is only used for NFL games and nothing else, yes a grass field is superior.

Practicality dictates those situations are limited.