PDA

View Full Version : Three SWAC Schools To Merge?

DFW HOYA
November 24th, 2009, 08:39 PM
The Mississippi governor has proposed merging Mississippi Valley, Alcorn, and Jackson State under Jackson State's authority. Would that mean one team or three?

The article says that MVSU is down to just 2,500 students.

http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20091120/NEWS/911200351

Franks Tanks
November 24th, 2009, 08:48 PM
The Mississippi governor has proposed merging Mississippi Valley, Alcorn, and Jackson State under Jackson State's authority. Would that mean one team or three?

The article says that MVSU is down to just 2,500 students.

http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20091120/NEWS/911200351

I heard Valley State may be in trouble and would potentially be merged, but I think this is the first mention of Alcorn.

I guess they would still remain open as branch campus's of Jackson State---interesting.

jstate83
November 24th, 2009, 09:19 PM
xlolx
yeah right.xrolleyesx
Every year this bubba chuck GOV throw in the HBCU's and HBCU's only for some kind of merger.
This happening has about the same chance of a snowball in he!! not melting.
You have no idea how many mississippi lawmakers are grads of these schools.
Ain't happening.

The Gov and these clowns around here that are alway's talking merging is the best way to go, let him call for the merger of Ole Miss and Mississippi State and see how fast the GOV's mansion would be burnt to the ground.
Maybe then they could compete in the SEC instead of being 2 out of 20 year wonders.

Bogus Megapardus
November 24th, 2009, 09:26 PM
xlolx
yeah right.xrolleyesx
Every year this bubba chuck GOV throw in the HBCU's and HBCU's only for some kind of merger.

Why don't we patrician elitists in the northeast get to refer to our politicians as "bubba chuck?"

JSU02
November 24th, 2009, 09:38 PM

Did he not also propose merging MSU and MUW?

Less than 3K students is awfully small for a public school to be D-I
Alcorn isn't much larger. I had no idea they were so small.

andy7171
November 24th, 2009, 09:41 PM
Why don't we patrician elitists in the northeast get to refer to our politicians as "bubba chuck?"

xlolx

jstate83
November 24th, 2009, 09:48 PM
Did he not also propose merging MSU and MUW?

Less than 3K students is awfully small for a public school to be D-I
Alcorn isn't much larger. I had no idea they were so small.

That ain't happening either.
MUW, Mississippi University for Women is in an all out war over the proposal to change the name of the school to reflect that men have been going there for the last 20 years so you know a merge with Mississippi State ain't happening.

This fool's own study has already listed that the saving's of merging Alcorn and Valley into JSU, and MUW into Mississippi State would only save $35 million.
That shat ain't even enough to fill the street paving budget for Jackson, Mississippi.
And to show how suspect this crap is, how in the he!! is he going to "save money" and keep all these campuses open with the same funding needs.
Nobody's falling for this crap cause if this would somehow go through, Alcorn, Valley, and MUW would cese to exist in less than 4 years completely which is what the so-called majority in this state want (under the table).
You have to understand that Mississippi was notorious for underfunding the HBCU's in this state for generations.
Every since the Ayres case was filed back in the 1970's and finally came to a conclusion in 2002 in favor of the JSU students that filed it, they been on a merge trip every since.

Ayers case------$503 million verdict in favor of Mississippi HBCU's. (http://diverseeducation.com/article/4111/1.php)

He want to merge school's, then merge some of these JUCO's in this state.
We got bushels of those things.
In fact, the title of the largest college in Mississippi is not Ole miss, Miss. State, or USM.
Hinds Community College is the largest with about 19,000 students in their system.
Killing part is, Hinds satelite campuses are just as big as their main campus in Raymond, Mississippi.

jstate83
November 24th, 2009, 09:51 PM

If you ever sit back and listen to Haley Bourbur talk, Bubba Chuck fits.
I can't see a "Bubba Chuck" as someone from the Northeast.xlolx

MplsBison
November 24th, 2009, 09:52 PM
Why not let Valley and Alcorn become private schools? They serve a specialized mission within the state, anyway.

TexasTerror
November 24th, 2009, 09:57 PM
There's consolidation, merger talk running rampant through this region of the country.

In Louisiana...talks of merging UNO and SUNO (NAIA). Talks of shutting down a few campuses (namely the LSU 'campuses' like Eunice and Alexandria), etc.

Go...gate
November 24th, 2009, 10:12 PM
Maybe it's time to merge Lafayette and Lehigh. xwhistlexxrotatehxxrulesxxeekx

Lehigh Football Nation
November 24th, 2009, 10:21 PM
There's a huge political element to this story that jstate touched upon but is also mentioned in a different article about the issue:

http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20091121/NEWS/911210346

"The governor's plan is absolutely racist," said Charles Chiplin, advisor of JSU's NAACP chapter. "We resent the notion of our three black schools being asked to merge when cuts aren't affecting the major white universities."

His recommendations are part of a plan to cut about $200 million from the current state budget and $715 million from the next fiscal year, which begins July 1.

While earlier versions of Barbour's budget included cutting the number of community colleges, the governor later decided to spare two-year schools because he feels they are important to providing access to affordable education.

"No one expects budget cuts to be popular, but the fact is Mississippi is going to have to look at a lot of different ways to reduce state spending. We have to live within our means," the governor's spokesman, Dan Turner, said later in response to the rally. "The governor was very clear that his way is not the only way and that he is willing to listen to other constructive, responsible and fiscally conservative ideas, and that hasn't changed."

You know... it does seem like "Bubba Chuck" is seeing the HBCU's as a failed business, which IMO ain't right. The HBCU's, long the ones that have had to make the most of underfunding and have need to have a lot of creativity in order to educate students and remain in compliance, are being asked to disband while the JuCos, Ole Miss and MSU aren't asked to make the same sort of sacrifices.

Of course, not only do Ole Miss and MSU have athletic departments that make enough money to run themselves, they actually are major sources of revenue for the state, too, in terms of fans traveling to games, hotels, food, etc.

Unfortunately, when you have this idea that a school needs to "have a profit", it's almost institutionalizing the money whoring happening at the FB$ level. Things like FCS football, smaller institutions playing football for different purposes than money grubbing, don't fit into that mindset.

Bogus Megapardus
November 24th, 2009, 10:39 PM
Maybe it's time to merge Lafayette and Lehigh. xwhistlexxrotatehxxrulesxxeekx

xeekxxmadxxnonoxxasswhipx:(xsmhxxthumbsdownx

Yeah . . . the day you merge with SUNY Ithaca.

WestCoastAggie
November 24th, 2009, 10:48 PM
You have to LOVE those Republicans. SIGH.

Sadly, this might have some teeth in this economy and if those alumni aren't loud in rejection, some sad ish is about to go down in the state of Mississippi.

jmu_duke07
November 24th, 2009, 11:15 PM
If the schools are as small as some say and the athletic budget is so much in the red, then why drain the taxpayer?

Also, I didn't know there were "white schools." From what I gather, it seems that every Div 1 football team in the state of Mississippi is highly diverse, of which is a good thing.

WestCoastAggie
November 24th, 2009, 11:26 PM
If the schools are as small as some say and the athletic budget is so much in the red, then why drain the taxpayer?

Also, I didn't know there were "white schools." From what I gather, it seems that every Div 1 football team in the state of Mississippi is highly diverse, of which is a good thing.

Athletics shouldn't be an expense the state picks up, Period.

jstate83
November 24th, 2009, 11:35 PM

This has nothing to do with athletics.
This is about the same thing as it always is.
Chosing the HBCU for closure or merging while the non-hbcu's are spared.
They throw one of the least supported non-hbcu, MUW, in as a bone to try and make it look they are not targeting HBCU's in this state.

The State of Mississippi DO NOT FUND ATHLETIC PROGRAMS at these schools.
The State of Mississippi allocates a overall budget for the schools and the school's allocate what percentage of that budget will be spent on athletics.

You are not that dense as to NOT know what people are talking about as far as the term "White Schools" so if you just want to start an argument over the true nature of what's going on, please continue to act naive about the intent of these clown arse people in charge of running the State of Mississippi.

WestCoastAggie
November 25th, 2009, 12:10 AM
This has nothing to do with athletics.
This is about the same thing as it always is.
Chosing the HBCU for closure or merging while the non-hbcu's are spared.
They throw one of the least supported non-hbcu, MUW, in as a bone to try and make it look they are not targeting HBCU's in this state.

The State of Mississippi DO NOT FUND ATHLETIC PROGRAMS at these schools.
The State of Mississippi allocates a overall budget for the schools and the school's allocate what percentage of that budget will be spent on athletics.

You are not that dense as to NOT know what people are talking about as far as the term "White Schools" so if you just want to start an argument over the true nature of what's going on, please continue to act naive about the intent of these clown arse people in charge of running the State of Mississippi.

That money allocated to the schools by the state should not be spent on Athletics.

GA St. MBB Fan
November 25th, 2009, 12:17 AM

This is the case in Georgia. At least for the Division I schools, I'm not sure if it is true D-II, D-II, or NAIA schools.

I'm curious to know what states do fund college athletics and what states do not. I've been browsing sports message boards for some years now, and have interacted with fans from across the country; and I think it is funny when some fans assume the state helps pick up the tab just because their state does.

WestCoastAggie
November 25th, 2009, 12:20 AM
This is the case in Georgia. At least for the Division I schools, I'm not sure if it is true D-II, D-II, or NAIA schools.

I'm curious to know what states do fund college athletics and what states do not. I've been browsing sports message boards for some years now, and have interacted with fans from across the country; and I think it is funny when some fans assume the state helps pick up the tab just because their state does.

Schools in the UNC system are not allowed to use funds allocated to the state to fund athletics. They are only allowed to use student fees.

MplsBison
November 25th, 2009, 12:55 AM
There's a huge political element to this story that jstate touched upon but is also mentioned in a different article about the issue:

http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20091121/NEWS/911210346

You know... it does seem like "Bubba Chuck" is seeing the HBCU's as a failed business, which IMO ain't right. The HBCU's, long the ones that have had to make the most of underfunding and have need to have a lot of creativity in order to educate students and remain in compliance, are being asked to disband while the JuCos, Ole Miss and MSU aren't asked to make the same sort of sacrifices.

Of course, not only do Ole Miss and MSU have athletic departments that make enough money to run themselves, they actually are major sources of revenue for the state, too, in terms of fans traveling to games, hotels, food, etc.

Unfortunately, when you have this idea that a school needs to "have a profit", it's almost institutionalizing the money whoring happening at the FB$ level. Things like FCS football, smaller institutions playing football for different purposes than money grubbing, don't fit into that mindset.

The state has three major public universities that are accessible for the entirety of the state's high school students: Miss State, Ole Miss and Southern Miss.

Why does such a small state (in terms of population) need any more 4-year universities outside that? And I'm including schools like Delta State, too.

Cut them loose. Let them survive on their own outside the public system.

jstate83
November 25th, 2009, 02:24 AM
The state has three major public universities that are accessible for the entirety of the state's high school students: Miss State, Ole Miss and Southern Miss.

Why does such a small state (in terms of population) need any more 4-year universities outside that? And I'm including schools like Delta State, too.

Cut them loose. Let them survive on their own outside the public system.

Typical. xrolleyesx
Can count on you not to see the forrest for those big arse tree's in this state.

Why not combine Ole Miss, Mississippi State and Delta State in the north.
In the south, incorporate all them cummunity colleges into USM and merge that way.
Leave JSU, valley, and Alcorn alone.
That would save money too but nobody would EVER suggest doing that as the "right thing".
Would you .......................xsmhx

bostonspider
November 25th, 2009, 02:50 AM
Wow Virginia has UVA, VaTech, GMU, ODU, VCU, JMU, W&M, Longwood, Radford, Mary Washington, NSU, VSU, Christopher Newport and VMI. So should the Virginia legislature shut some of them down or merge them?? No of course not, as there are different universities to suit different needs and different students. Sounds like Miss. is playing politics with the state's universities. I hope all three of the schools listed are able to bounce back and thrive.

Tod
November 25th, 2009, 03:02 AM
Wow Virginia has UVA, VaTech, GMU, ODU, VCU, JMU, W&M, Longwood, Radford, Mary Washington, NSU, VSU, Christopher Newport and VMI. So should the Virginia legislature shut some of them down or merge them?? No of course not, as there are different universities to suit different needs and different students. Sounds like Miss. is playing politics with the state's universities. I hope all three of the schools listed are able to bounce back and thrive.

You forgot Richmond. ;)

bostonspider
November 25th, 2009, 03:16 AM
You forgot Richmond. ;)

Actually I was only calling out the public schools in VA... xnodx The list of privates is much longer, but could be highlighted by Richmond, Liberty, Washington & Lee, Virginia Union, Roanoke, and Hampton.

SU Jag
November 25th, 2009, 03:19 AM
Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

jstate83
November 25th, 2009, 03:22 AM
Mississippi JUCO's.
Coahoma Community College
Copiah-Lincoln Community College
East Central Community College
East Mississippi Community College
Hinds Community College
Holmes Community College
Itawamba Community College
Jones County Junior College
Mary Holmes College
Meridian Community College
Mississippi Delta Community College
Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College
Northeast Mississippi Community College
Northwest Mississippi Community College
Pearl River Community College
Southwest Mississippi Community College

Mississippi Private liberal arts colleges..........4 year.........D2......D3...NAIA....etc
Blue Mountain College, Blue Mountain
Millsaps College, Jackson
Rust College, Holly Springs
Tougaloo College, Tougaloo
Belhaven College, Jackson
Magnolia Bible College, Kosciusko
Mississippi College, Clinton
Mississippi College School of Law, Jackson
Reformed Theological Seminary, Jackson
Southeastern Baptist College, Laurel
Virginia College, Biloxi, Mississippi
Virginia College, Jackson, Mississippi
Wesley Biblical Seminary, Jackson
Wesley College, Florence
William Carey University, Hattiesburg

Four-year institutions...........D2.......FCS.........FBS
Alcorn State University, Alcorn State/Lorman
Delta State University, Cleveland.........D2
Jackson State University, Jackson

Mississippi State University
Mississippi State/Starkville (main campus)
Meridian campus, Meridian

Mississippi University for Women, Columbus
Mississippi Valley State University, Itta Bena

University of Mississippi
Oxford (main campus)
University of Mississippi Medical Center, Jackson

The University of Southern Mississippi
Hattiesburg (main campus)
Gulf Park campus, Long Beach

MplsBison
November 25th, 2009, 03:28 AM
Typical. xrolleyesx
Can count on you not to see the forrest for those big arse tree's in this state.

Why not combine Ole Miss, Mississippi State and Delta State in the north.
In the south, incorporate all them cummunity colleges into USM and merge that way.
Leave JSU, valley, and Alcorn alone.
That would save money too but nobody would EVER suggest doing that as the "right thing".
Would you .......................xsmhx

Because Delta, Valley, Alcorn and W are too small to justify the public funding they receive. North Dakota has the same problem, 6 public four-year universities for our tiny state! We need to turn some of them into private schools.

MSU, UM, USM and JState can serve the state's need for public undergraduate and graduate/research aptly.

MplsBison
November 25th, 2009, 03:29 AM

Not shut down, but turn them into private schools. Especially the small ones.

DSUrocks07
November 25th, 2009, 03:31 AM

This xnodx

And its a shame too. Like jstate referred too, I don't see recommendations for other Mississippi colleges to "merge". It smells like "good ole' Dixie" is attempting to kill two birds with one stone here...xwhistlex

Oh (back on topic) and the SWAC would have to either drop its divisional format, (opening the door to playoff participation), or look to bring up some schools from the SIAC.

jstate83
November 25th, 2009, 03:44 AM
Because Delta, Valley, Alcorn and W are too small to justify the public funding they receive. North Dakota has the same problem, 6 public four-year universities for our tiny state! We need to turn some of them into private schools.

MSU, UM, USM and JState can serve the state's need for public undergraduate and graduate/research aptly.

That's the dumbest thing that has ever been posted.
Since when is size a justification in Education.
Guess every public university in america that has an enrollment under 6,000 need to be shut down.

That last part is just as naive but I'll play along cause I know who i am posting too.
Ain't like you new to the board.

Since you have lived in this state, understand the all the dynamic's that go along with it, and have come to a iron clad conclusion that people here has not reached in 100 years in less than 2 hours on a chat board, , Tell me how did you come to this conclusion that those 4 schools can reach all the rual areas of Mississippi and serve every student that want's to go to college.

Panther88
November 25th, 2009, 03:49 AM

You're not from Louisiana are you? :D xlolx

Franks Tanks
November 25th, 2009, 03:51 AM
Guess every public university in america that has an enrollment under 6,000 need to be shut down.

That last part is just as naive but I'll play along cause I know who i am posting too.

Since you have lived in this state, understand the all the dynamic's that go along with it, and have come to a iron clad conclusion that people here has not reached in 100 years in less than 2 hours on a chat board, , Tell me how did you come to this conclusion that those 4 schools can reach all the rual areas of Mississippi and serve every student that want's to go to college.

No point arguing with Bison.

Yes Alcorn and Valley are small, but they were created for a specific reason and their mission is still very important. Even beyond providing opportunities for young black people, they reach plenty of small rural communities where it would otherwise be very difficult for people to attend school. Ole Miss and Miss State may educate more kids, and more black kids, than ever before but the HBCU's in Miss are still critical to educating the populace and helping improve the quality of life for all Miss residents.

jstate83
November 25th, 2009, 03:53 AM
This xnodx

And its a shame too. Like jstate referred too, I don't see recommendations for other Mississippi colleges to "merge". It smells like "good ole' Dixie" is attempting to kill two birds with one stone here...xwhistlex

Oh (back on topic) and the SWAC would have to either drop its divisional format, (opening the door to playoff participation), or look to bring up some schools from the SIAC.

Everybody here know it.
That's why this is basically DOA cause they would get nothing done it they waiting to pass this garbage come January.

Like I said, it is alway's the HBCU's that this fool want to close or merge while he openly said he would spare all them 2 year community colleges period.
Last time, he suggested Valley be closed outright and Alcorn be merged into Mississippi State.
Now it's Merge Alcorn and Valley into JSU and MUW into Mississippi State
Guess he thought JSU people would sell the others down the river and dance a boogaloo at the prospect of that shat.

Again.
MKerge Mississippi State and Ole Miss, which are less that 100 miles apart in North Mississippi, and have a Super school that can compete with the likes of Alabama, Florida, Tennessee in the classroom, athletic's, and resources.
I want to see one of these fool's propose that in this state. xlolx

Franks Tanks
November 25th, 2009, 03:54 AM
Everybody here know it.
That's why this is basically DOA cause they would get nothing done it they waiting to pass this garbage come January.

Like I said, it is alway's the HBCU's that this fool want to close or merge while he openly said he would spare all them 2 year community colleges period.
Last time, he suggested valley be closed and Alcorn be merged into Mississippi State.
Now it's Merge Alcorn and Valley into JSU and MUW into Mississippi State
Guess he thought JSU people would sell the others down the river and dance a boogaloo at the prospect of that shat and MUW into mississippi state.

Again.
merge mississippi state and Ole miss which are less that 100 miles apart in north mississippi and have a Super school that can compete with the likes of Alabama, Florida, Tennessee in the classroom, athletic's, and resources.
I want to see one of these fool's propose that. xlolx

Like that-- we can have Ole Miss State

jstate83
November 25th, 2009, 03:59 AM
Like that-- we can have Ole Miss State

REBEL Bulldogs
They would then have the size and power to fight off these SEC monsters.
And this can be their new moto and logo instead of "Hottie Tottie".xlolx
http://proudrebel.com/images/t_rebelbornbull.jpg

Just kidding about the motto and logo...........xlolx

JMUNJ08
November 25th, 2009, 04:05 AM
Can't we say that the economy is partly to blame as well? I understand the "ol' dixie" thing and that the situation needs to be reassessed, but that does seem like a bit too many schools for the size of the state. Merging will force closing of some and I agree the 2 years should be merged first (tradition????)

Its a tough sell no matter what. No reason to jump on Bison tho.

jstate83
November 25th, 2009, 04:10 AM
Can't we say that the economy is partly to blame as well? I understand the "ol' dixie" thing and that the situation needs to be reassessed, but that does seem like a bit too many schools for the size of the state. Merging will force closing of some and I agree the 2 years should be merged first (tradition????)

Its a tough sell no matter what. No reason to jump on Bison tho.

My question is why do it have to be the HBCU's and HBCU's only that are alway's the one's slated to be closed or merged.
And that is exactly what it would be.

This pop's up every 2 or 3 years here and it's the same old song.

NDB
November 25th, 2009, 04:19 AM
My question is why do it have to be the HBCU's and HBCU's only that are alway's the one's slated to be closed or merged.

ls that a rhetorical question? I can answer it if you want me to.

JSU02
November 25th, 2009, 04:22 AM

Again, he also proposed merging MSU and MUW. Neither of which is an HBCU.

jstate83
November 25th, 2009, 04:34 AM
Again, he also proposed merging MSU and MUW. Neither of which is an HBCU.

MUW popped up out of nowhere.
If you live here, know the thinking and history behind these proposals, that was just a bone to get people to say just what you said.
Two years ago, it was Alcorn to be swallowed up into Mississippi State.

Mississippi State is large enough.
If they want to merge MUW then why not merge it into Valley to serve the rual delta along with Delta State.
Why can't that be an option.
The last dozen or so time this has come up, MUW has not even been mentioned.

Did I also mention the year that they wanted to merge Alcorn into Mississippi State, they wanted Valley merged into Delta State?
See the pattern going here on who get's swallowed up each time and who's name keep going forward?
Samme bullshat, different year.

jstate83
November 25th, 2009, 04:38 AM
ls that a rhetorical question? I can answer it if you want me to.

Naw..........I know. xlolx
Throwing it out there for the people that think this is a great idea to see what their take is when the "merge shoe" is on the other foot.

JMUNJ08
November 25th, 2009, 04:42 AM
MUW popped up out of nowhere.
If you live here, know the thinking and history behind these proposals, that was just a bone to get people to say just what you said.
Two years ago, it was Alcorn to be swallowed up into Mississippi State.

If they want to merge MUW then why not merge it into Valley.
Why can't that be an option.
The last dozen or so time this has come up, MUW has not even been mentioned.

Did I also mention one year that they also wanted to merge Valley into Delta State.
See the pattern going here on who get's swallowed up each time and who's name keep going forward?

I agree the "consolidation" should be the small HBCU and all those JUCO's you mentioned if that is what they want to do. Not because they are HBCU's, but more so because of size and operation expenses. Pooling resources is a big key to long term survival right now. Its hard to imagine No Alcorn or Valley but we just witnessed no more NE football and they brought all the schools INTO CAA FOOTBALL (not that it is equivilant to dropping a school so to speak). I hate how politicians are PC and hide true intentions (and poorly at that).

I can't even think of any JUCO's in NJ becides your basic community colleges.

Go...gate
November 25th, 2009, 04:44 AM
xeekxxmadxxnonoxxasswhipx:(xsmhxxthumbsdownx

Yeah . . . the day you merge with SUNY Ithaca.

I knew that would get your attention. :Dxsmiley_wix;)

jstate83
November 25th, 2009, 04:49 AM
I agree the "consolidation" should be the small HBCU and all those JUCO's you mentioned if that is what they want to do. Not because they are HBCU's, but more so because of size and operation expenses. Pooling resources is a big key to long term survival right now. Its hard to imagine No Alcorn or Valley but we just witnessed no more NE football and they brought all the schools INTO CAA FOOTBALL (not that it is equivilant to dropping a school so to speak). I hate how politicians are PC and hide true intentions (and poorly at that).

I can't even think of any JUCO's in NJ becides your basic community colleges.

Those places are like weeds around here.
Take a look at some of the Big Time Florida and SEC schools football rosters.
These JUCO's in Mississippi are nothing more than boot camps for those schools recruits.

At one point years ago, Hinds, (Raymond campus), was refered to as Florida State-Mississippi. xlolx
Bobby would recruit those kids and if they didn't make the admissions grade, Hello Hinds Eagles.xnodx

Quick example
Dominic Douglas, Clinton(ms) Highschool, Mississippi State, Rams 2008.
And on and on.
http://sports.hindscc.edu/images/2009/Dominic_Rams2.png

All the other are the same way.
Florida, Bamma, Tennessee, etc.,
You name the school, those JUCO's are beefing up their recruits.

MplsBison
November 25th, 2009, 05:15 AM

It should be any public school that is small. Delta and W included.

HBCU has nothing to do with it.

MplsBison
November 25th, 2009, 05:16 AM

First of all, the schools wouldn't be closing (under my proposal). They'd be private. So they could still reach the same areas.

Then the larger schools can expand to take on all the high school students in Miss that want to attend public universities.

WestCoastAggie
November 25th, 2009, 07:15 AM
You're not from Louisiana are you? :D xlolx

xlolxxlolx

jcf5445
November 25th, 2009, 08:00 AM
I hereby propose that we merge Coahoma Community College (HBCU) into Mississippi Delta Community College (tongue in cheek).

I'm curious to know if there was a big outrage when they merged Utica Junior College (HBCU) into Hinds?

But honestly, I think this is nothing but a political ploy to get the legislature to consolidate some of the state's public school districts. I agree with jstate that there are no eminent university mergers. However, if the enrollment at Valley and the W continue to dwindle, then something will have to happen. I mean, there's got to be a breaking point somwhere.

GA St. MBB Fan
November 25th, 2009, 10:33 PM
There was talk last year in Georgia about merging some schools as well. Especially some of the state supported HBCUs that had campuses almost literally next door to some of the state supported non-HBCUs in the more rural parts of Georgia.

A lot of people were outraged, and suggested that if Georgia was going to merge schools due to proximity, that the state should merge Georgia State and Georgia Tech because they are less than 5 miles apart.

However, the counter argument to that was that unlike Georgia Tech and Georgia State - the schools that were being considered for merger had very similar (if not the same) purposes and missions - they were liberal arts colleges with an emphasis on undergraduate education - the only difference was that one school had a history of serving predominately African-American students and the other school had a history of serving predominately Caucasian students. And that merging the schools would eliminate a duplicity of services and administration in the same geographic area for the same population.

JMUNJ08
November 25th, 2009, 10:52 PM
There was talk last year in Georgia about merging some schools as well. Especially some of the state supported HBCUs that had campuses almost literally next door to some of the state supported non-HBCUs in the more rural parts of Georgia.

A lot of people were outraged, and suggested that if Georgia was going to merge schools due to proximity, that the state should merge Georgia State and Georgia Tech because they are less than 5 miles apart.

However, the counter argument to that was that unlike Georgia Tech and Georgia State - the schools that were being considered for merger had very similar (if not the same) purposes and missions - they were liberal arts colleges with an emphasis on undergraduate education - the only difference was that one school had a history of serving predominately African-American students and the other school had a history of serving predominately Caucasian students. And that merging the schools would eliminate a duplicity of services and administration in the same geographic area for the same population.

xhurrayx Great point and THAT is what should be done if possible.

GA St. MBB Fan
November 25th, 2009, 11:02 PM
xhurrayx Great point and THAT is what should be done if possible.

Ok, but I really wasn't trying to make a point, per se. I was just giving the Georgia version of this story. :)

T-Dog
November 25th, 2009, 11:57 PM
If this politician and others would care more about public education in the state as they do with merging universities, Miss wouldn't have been dead last in public education for the last 8 years.