PDA

View Full Version : The Way Non-Seeded Teams Should Be Awarded Home Games

AlphaSigMD
November 24th, 2009, 05:51 AM
Personally, I think that Bid should come first, compared to all other non-seeded teams, prior to any regionalization decisions.

For example, it App Bids $100,000, and SCState Bids $90,000, McNeese State Bids $80,000 and William and Mary $80,000, then they get the home games.

Matching up a team that might be able to bid $40,000 vs. another team that might bid only bid $30,000 because of regionalization seems a bit counterintuitive, in regards to bringing the game to where the fans are.

james_lawfirm
November 24th, 2009, 06:02 AM
Personally, I think that Bid should come first, compared to all other non-seeded teams, prior to any regionalization decisions.

For example, it App Bids $100,000, and SCState Bids $90,000, McNeese State Bids $80,000 and William and Mary $80,000, then they get the home games.

Matching up a team that might be able to bid $40,000 vs. another team that might bid only bid $30,000 because of regionalization seems a bit counterintuitive, in regards to bringing the game to where the fans are.

I completely agree.

Open the bids first. Unfortunately, then you'll have to batten down the hatches as those schools with 1/2 or 1/4 of the attendance figures whine & howl that it's unfair, money rules everything, their pants are too tight, & they have a headache.

crossfire07
November 24th, 2009, 06:09 AM
It won't really matter much when next year everybody and their brother will be hosting a home game. teams that did not make the playoffs this year will be hosting next year. But i am not for just the schools with money and the largest crowds hosting home games. some schools like McNeese have an LSU 100 miles down the road so their game isn't the only venue to be scene on weekends therefore they aren't going to have 20,000+ fans every week. do you think Montana or App would be drawing the amount of fans they do if they had an Alabama or Florida just down the road? their attendance would be half of what it is.

MacThor
November 24th, 2009, 06:10 AM
Set a minimum bid for home games.
Seed the entire field, allowing VERY little "wiggle room" for regionalization (i.e. 1 v 15 and 2 v 16)
If the host team can't or won't meet the bid, they're on the road.

Green and Yellow
November 24th, 2009, 06:13 AM
Set a minimum bid for home games.
Seed the entire field, allowing VERY little "wiggle room" for regionalization (i.e. 1 v 15 and 2 v 16)
If the host team can't or won't meet the bid, they're on the road.

Agreed on seeding the entire field. I also do not like regionalization, your conference schedule should be in your region and likely you play teams close by in non-Conference play as well.

tribe_pride
November 24th, 2009, 06:29 AM
Agreed on the most recent posts. If you are throwing out regionalization as the primary determinant, then you have to seed all teams and do 1 v. 16, 2 v. 15 etc and as long as the higher seed meets a minimum bid, they should host.

The point of regionalization was never for bringing the game to where the fans are. It was to cut down on costs since most, if not all but the App, Montana, and Delaware teams (now maybe SC St. too) were losing money in the playoffs.

asu70
November 24th, 2009, 06:40 AM
It won't really matter much when next year everybody and their brother will be hosting a home game. teams that did not make the playoffs this year will be hosting next year. But i am not for just the schools with money and the largest crowds hosting home games. some schools like McNeese have an LSU 100 miles down the road so their game isn't the only venue to be scene on weekends therefore they aren't going to have 20,000+ fans every week. do you think Montana or App would be drawing the amount of fans they do if they had an Alabama or Florida just down the road? their attendance would be half of what it is.

You do realize that App is within a two hour drive of UT, Clemson, VT, Wake, UNC, NCSU, and USC?

WVAPPmountaineer
November 24th, 2009, 07:02 AM

APP has 4 NC BCS schools (WF, Duke, UNC, NC St) within about 3 hour drive - then add Va Tech and South Carolina + the Carolina Panthers in easy driving range and it amazing we get the crowds we do - of course, ACC football pretty much sucks ----

JohnStOnge
November 24th, 2009, 07:03 AM
I think that they should always let Southern teams host the games because the weather is better there this time of year.

Green and Yellow
November 24th, 2009, 07:04 AM
APP has 4 NC BCS schools within about 3 hour drive - then add Va Tech and South Carolina + the Carolina Panthers in easy driving range and it amazing we get the crowds we do - of course, ACC football pretty much sucks ----

Agreed.
ACC football does suck
xnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodx
xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

93henfan
November 24th, 2009, 07:26 AM
I think that they should always let Southern teams host the games because the weather is better there this time of year.

Did you mean to put a 'xsmiley_wix' or a ';)' at the end of that post? If not, then I give you one of these: xthumbsdownx .

I recall a game I went to in Tennessee in December 2003 where it was snowing 5 minutes before kickoff. The weather was nicer in Newark, DE that day.

McTailGator
November 24th, 2009, 09:44 AM

All teams should be seeded, and the top seed have the opportunity to meet the highest bid of the two teams playing in each game.

JayJ79
November 24th, 2009, 11:32 AM
Hey, and while we're at it, why not let teams bid for their seeding too.
highest bid gets highest seed. xrolleyesx xoopsx

appmaj
November 24th, 2009, 06:20 PM
You do realize that App is within a two hour drive of UT, Clemson, VT, Wake, UNC, NCSU, and USC?

APP has 4 NC BCS schools (WF, Duke, UNC, NC St) within about 3 hour drive - then add Va Tech and South Carolina + the Carolina Panthers in easy driving range and it amazing we get the crowds we do - of course, ACC football pretty much sucks ----

Agreed. There is no shortage of football in and around NC.

OL FU
November 24th, 2009, 07:15 PM

AS long as we seed four, I agree. Better would be to seed them all and hope people don't have to travel too farxnodx

Poker Alan
November 24th, 2009, 07:26 PM

Hey, we have such powerhouses as Washington St. and the University of Idaho, within 3 hours. We have the same problems with crowds ... xsmiley_wixxsmiley_wix

Seriously, though, I really don't put alot into this. The population base of the greater Missoula area is ~ 100K, and we fill a 25K stadium every game. Like quite a few other FCS schools, Montana fans are rabid and fill their stadium. We do have the advantage of not having ANYTHING else to do (except hunt, fish, gamble, drink, etc), so people do get very wound up for gamedays, but, hell, it only happens on campus less than 10 times/year at max. I would also guess that LSU fans vs. McNeese fans are for the most part, mutually exclusive. Your attendance is affected that much, when LSU is playing?

bluehenbillk
November 24th, 2009, 07:42 PM
Simple answer why the regionalize things. How much do you think it costs to have a football team travel across the crountry? Who foots that bill in the playoffs? The answer is the NCAA. So if a school bids $40-50K more, that balances out with what the NCAA has to pay in travel costs.

89Hen
November 24th, 2009, 07:47 PM
Better would be to seed them all and hope people don't have to travel too farxnodx
Hope? xeyebrowx

mcveyrl
November 24th, 2009, 07:58 PM

xeekxxscanx

What roads do you take???

henfan
November 24th, 2009, 08:23 PM
Simple answer why the regionalize things. How much do you think it costs to have a football team travel across the crountry? Who foots that bill in the playoffs? The answer is the NCAA. So if a school bids $40-50K more, that balances out with what the NCAA has to pay in travel costs.

Of course that's right. Another reason why the NCAA tries to regionalize opening round games as much as possible is to try to boost attendance during the holiday weekend, typically the weekend that draws the lowest attendance during the playoffs. Keeping as many teams as possible within a reasonable driving encourges family & fans to buy tickets and make quick weekend trips. The current model has resulted in a better-than-break-even tournament structure for the NCAA.

The current process of seeding the top 4 teams and offering an 4 additional home games to the highest bidders in the opening round has proven to be a winning balance. I always find it silly when people suggest that the playoffs should employ strict seeding without allowances for travel, as if the process of seeding 1 through 16 wasn't a completely artificial process. xsmhx

Edge316007
November 24th, 2009, 08:39 PM
xeekxxscanx

What roads do you take???

He exaggerated, but not by more than an hour. Raleigh is the farthest by mileage and it only takes me 2:45 or less to get home, depending on traffic.

Boone to:

Winston-Salem, NC: 86 Miles
Knoxville, TN: 160 Miles
Blacksburg, VA: 162 Miles
Chapel Hill, NC: 162 Miles
Durham, NC: 166 Miles
Columbia, SC: 185 Miles
Clemson, SC: 190 Miles
Raleigh, NC: 192 Miles

Of course none of these schools measure up to LSU, but the sheer amount of them more than makes up for the difference.

Lake Charles, LA to Baton Rouge, LA: 129 Miles. So, he exaggerated a bit too.

89Hen
November 24th, 2009, 08:49 PM
The current process of seeding the top 4 teams and offering an 4 additional home games to the highest bidders in the opening round has proven to be a winning balance. I always find it silly when people suggest that the playoffs should employ strict seeding without allowances for travel, as if the process of seeding 1 through 16 wasn't a completely artificial process. xsmhx
xnodx xrulesx

Ronbo
November 24th, 2009, 09:35 PM

We have Washington State just down the road.xsmiley_wix

crossfire07
November 25th, 2009, 01:53 AM

All of those schools are a nobody on the national scene and they sure don't have 120,000 in the parking lot on saturday night. LSU can have 93,000 in the stands and another 20,000 in the tailgate area. App State is not 100 miles down the road from a school that has 2 glass balls either. that is way out of any of them schools league. you might have all of those schools close but people gravitate to who is winning and right now App is the one but let North Carolina or one of the others take off and start getting close to a national championship and watch how fast the bandwagon unloads.

crossfire07
November 25th, 2009, 02:06 AM
We have Washington State just down the road.xsmiley_wix
you poor soul. HA HA

whoanellie
November 25th, 2009, 02:10 AM
You do realize that App is within a two hour drive of UT, Clemson, VT, Wake, UNC, NCSU, and USC? better watch that speed our you will get a speeding ticket...make it 3 hours and be safe. leave earlier.

whoanellie
November 25th, 2009, 02:14 AM
He exaggerated, but not by more than an hour. Raleigh is the farthest by mileage and it only takes me 2:45 or less to get home, depending on traffic.

Boone to:

Winston-Salem, NC: 86 Miles
Knoxville, TN: 160 Miles
Blacksburg, VA: 162 Miles
Chapel Hill, NC: 162 Miles
Durham, NC: 166 Miles
Columbia, SC: 185 Miles
Clemson, SC: 190 Miles
Raleigh, NC: 192 Miles

Of course none of these schools measure up to LSU, but the sheer amount of them more than makes up for the difference.

Lake Charles, LA to Baton Rouge, LA: 129 Miles. So, he exaggerated a bit too.

Yes Boone is located in the Mountains. It's in the Boonedocks!!!
it's so far out of a metro region it's a scenic tourist area. That's what makes it a great "Home" atmosphere.

jmuwishyouhadadukedog
November 25th, 2009, 02:15 AM
All of those schools are a nobody on the national scene and they sure don't have 120,000 in the parking lot on saturday night. LSU can have 93,000 in the stands and another 20,000 in the tailgate area. App State is not 100 miles down the road from a school that has 2 glass balls either. that is way out of any of them schools league. you might have all of those schools close but people gravitate to who is winning and right now App is the one but let North Carolina or one of the others take off and start getting close to a national championship and watch how fast the bandwagon unloads.

According to the NCAA website Tennessee pulled 101k fans a game to LSU's 92k in 2008. South Carolina pulled 80k a game, Clemson 78k, Virginia Tech 66k and UNC 57k.

The Moody1
November 25th, 2009, 02:16 AM
let North Carolina or one of the others take off and start getting close to a national championship and watch how fast the bandwagon unloads.

IMO- The effect on our attendance would be minimal.

Native
November 25th, 2009, 02:20 AM

Nice points. Irrelevant, too.

GannonFan
November 25th, 2009, 02:22 AM
Of course that's right. Another reason why the NCAA tries to regionalize opening round games as much as possible is to try to boost attendance during the holiday weekend, typically the weekend that draws the lowest attendance during the playoffs. Keeping as many teams as possible within a reasonable driving encourges family & fans to buy tickets and make quick weekend trips. The current model has resulted in a better-than-break-even tournament structure for the NCAA.

There are so many few people left from the days when the tournament was seeded 1 through 16 that people forget what a disaster that was. Sure, it sounds objective and fair, that is, until the seeds are actually given out and then people start complaining on how team magically moved all over the place seed-wise versus their rankings coming in and how certain teams seemed to be favored in that process. It made for a pretty bracket with all the seeds listed, but the seeding process was so biased it was a silly exercise.

yorkcountyUNHfan
November 25th, 2009, 02:41 AM
Hey, and while we're at it, why not let teams bid for their seeding too.
highest bid gets highest seed. xrolleyesx xoopsx

Why even play the game High Bid = Winnerxrolleyesx