PDA

View Full Version : Todd Whitten - No Longer HC at Sam Houston

TexasTerror
November 24th, 2009, 03:14 AM
Breaking news from the Huntsville Item...

http://www.itemonline.com/breakingnews/local_story_327154139.html

Sly Fox
November 24th, 2009, 03:16 AM
Not exactly unexpected.

TexasTerror
November 24th, 2009, 03:17 AM
Not exactly unexpected.

I think there were quite a few worried that whatever process - the decision in him staying or going - would play out for some time.

I've always had faith in SHSU's athletic director to make the decision. SHSU has jumped leaps and bounds under our AD's lead in several sports - most notably basketball (mens) and baseball.

TexasTerror
November 24th, 2009, 03:43 AM
The FCS news feed with the article from GoBearkats.com...

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66618

KatFans.com discussion...

http://www.katfans.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10614

TexasTerror
November 24th, 2009, 05:12 AM
My coaching candidates list...at this point.

Coaching Candidates
Brad Franchione, Blinn JC HC
Chris Thomsen, Abilene Christian HC
Guy Morriss, Texas A&M-Commerce HC
Don Carthel, West Texas A&M HC
Brian Norwood, Baylor DC
Jason Phillips, Houston Co-OC/WR Coach
Tommy Spangler, La Tech DC
Ruffin McNeill, Texas Tech DC
Scott Stoker, SHSU DC
Dave Elson, former Western Kentucky HC
R.C. Slocum, former Texas A&M HC

Also...would not mind seeing Jay Thomas added as a coordinator. ;)

sharkeycox
November 24th, 2009, 06:07 AM

Coaching Candidates
Brian Norwood, Baylor DC
Scott Stoker, SHSU DC

You could do a lot worse than Stoker. R. C.Slocum?? are you kidding us??

TexasTerror
November 24th, 2009, 06:11 AM
I figure Stoker applies...

R.C Slocum - why not? LU people thought he was going there. We do have two other A&M legends in MJ (baseball) and BB (softball). Those have worked!

Also, Mike Hudson has been mentioned too. He applied in '04.

I'd be happy with someone in between the last two hires in the league - Larry Coker (big name) and Ray Woodard (who the heck is that?)...

Think Hal Mumme applies?!?

McNeese75
November 24th, 2009, 06:36 AM
I figure Stoker applies...

R.C Slocum - why not? LU people thought he was going there. We do have two other A&M legends in MJ (baseball) and BB (softball). Those have worked!

Also, Mike Hudson has been mentioned too. He applied in '04.

I'd be happy with someone in between the last two hires in the league - Larry Coker (big name) and Ray Woodard (who the heck is that?)...

Think Hal Mumme applies?!?

xlolx Slocum is a pipe dream. I guess he is still getting paid a mountain of moola to promote A&M. I was kinda hoping ole Whitten would hang for another year :D

I know there is some celebrating going on in Huntsville this evening. xnodx

JohnStOnge
November 24th, 2009, 06:41 AM
I hope Sam Houston State never takes advantage of it but the school is in as good a talent spot as there is in the United States. The school needs to get a coach who will develop a solid foundation based on high school recruits then give him time to build the program. At least that's what I think.

Of course I hope they don't do it.

txstatebobcat
November 24th, 2009, 06:51 AM
I hope Sam Houston State never takes advantage of it but the school is in as good a talent spot as there is in the United States. The school needs to get a coach who will develop a solid foundation based on high school recruits then give him time to build the program. At least that's what I think.

Of course I hope they don't do it.

Amen to that!

I've yet to see a coach do a successful move from D-II to D-I. At least in our neck of the woods. With that in mind, I think that Chris Thomsen, Abilene Christian HC would be the best choice for the kats. xnodx

TexasTerror
November 24th, 2009, 07:49 PM
Let's add Tom Herman (Iowa OC) and Willie Fritz (Central Missouri HC) to the list. Herman may be a stretch in wake of Iowa's season this year - but a former SHSU AC that the Kat faithful like...

Coaching Candidates
Brian Norwood, Baylor DC
Scott Stoker, SHSU DC
Mike Hudson, Montana DC
Hal Mumme, McMurry HC
Tom Herman, Iowa OC/QB coach
Willie Fritz, Central Missouri HC

McTailGator
November 24th, 2009, 07:55 PM

Coaching Candidates
Brian Norwood, Baylor DC
Scott Stoker, SHSU DC

I would think that the following guys wold have an advantage because of thier familiarity with recruiting in the SHSU areas.

katstrapper
November 24th, 2009, 10:09 PM
I would think that the following guys wold have an advantage because of thier familiarity with recruiting in the SHSU areas.

Jason Phillips would be a finalist in my book. I think he could be a good fit at SHSU.

Only DII coach I would consider at this point would be Don Carthel at West Tx A&M. His overall record and success is VERY impressive.

I have mixed emotions on Baby Fran. True he has been very successful at Blinn JC, but could he make that leap to Div I football?

TexasTerror
November 25th, 2009, 05:08 AM
SHSU does stress academics...

I would think there would be some concern re: bringing a JUCO coach up to the Div I ranks. Brad Franchione was the HC of the Blinn program under the Assoc AD.

TexasTerror
December 3rd, 2009, 05:58 PM
List from student newspaper of prospective candidates...

Brad Franchione - Head Coach Blinn College
Chris Thomsen - Head Coach Abilene Christian University
Don Carthel - Head Coach West Texas A&M University
Neal Brown - Offensive Coordinator Troy University
Dana Holgorsen - Offensive Coordinator University of Houston

http://media.www.houstonianonline.com/media/storage/paper229/news/2009/12/03/Sports/Whos-It.Going.To.Be-3844000.shtml

TexasTerror
January 14th, 2010, 10:31 AM
Our favorite inaccurate site lists Todd Whitten as a candidate for the OC job at North Texas...

North Texas: Our sources tell us former Sam Houston State head coach Todd Whitten talked with Todd Dodge about the OC position.

Credit: Football Scoop (http://www.footballscoop.com/?cat=24)

3rd Coast Tiger
January 14th, 2010, 11:56 AM
Hey didn't he lose to the 1-10 Western Illinois Leathernecks? xconfusedx

TexasTerror
January 14th, 2010, 12:27 PM
Hey didn't he lose to the 1-10 Western Illinois Leathernecks? xconfusedx

Sure did!

Somehow found a way to score points against FBS competition, opposite from getting outscored by an average of 50-0 in those games...not too bad. :p

3rd Coast Tiger
January 14th, 2010, 12:38 PM
Sure did!

Somehow found a way to score points against FBS competition, opposite from getting outscored by an average of 50-0 in those games...not too bad. :p

What's with the smack? xconfusedx I just asked a legitimate question. That's all.

JohnStOnge
January 14th, 2010, 06:37 PM
To me it's amazing that Sam Houston State hasn't been able to do better. In my opinion, when you look at current FCS schools in auto bid conferences, Sam Houston State is located in the best spot recruiting wise of any of them. When Florida Atlantic and Florida International were I-AA that may not have been true but was still a close call. Just incredible that Sam Houston State could be located in such a "milk and honey" spot as far as football talent goes and not be a really dominant FCS program.

gokats85
January 15th, 2010, 12:01 PM
To me it's amazing that Sam Houston State hasn't been able to do better. In my opinion, when you look at current FCS schools in auto bid conferences, Sam Houston State is located in the best spot recruiting wise of any of them. When Florida Atlantic and Florida International were I-AA that may not have been true but was still a close call. Just incredible that Sam Houston State could be located in such a "milk and honey" spot as far as football talent goes and not be a really dominant FCS program.

You're right, all of the talent in just the Houston area alone would make you wonder. The reason for that is Whitten did not have a clue on how to recruit!

TexasTerror
January 17th, 2010, 09:17 AM
Per Football Scoop - guessing, if true, that Woodard realizes that Mainord was a Whitten assistant at both Tarleton St and SHSU - so this would be a great step in keeping with the same offensive scheme, which is what Woodard wants to do.

Lamar University: Ray Woodard has talked with former Sam Houston State head coach Todd Whitten regarding the offensive coordinator position.

Credit: Football Scoop (http://www.footballscoop.com/?cat=24)