PDA

View Full Version : Elon @ Richmond

Pages : [1] 2 3

PhoenixMan
November 24th, 2009, 02:29 AM
We have obviously drawn a tough one in the defending National Champions. I haven't followed Richmond this year much at all. So tell me....what does Elon HAVE to stop first and foremost to win this game, and what does Elon have to do well ?(besides give Riddle time to throw it, in which case I think we have a great chance)

Skjellyfetti
November 24th, 2009, 02:31 AM
I don't think Richmond has a very good offense. Mediocre at best. Elon needs to avoid giving up big plays and put pressure on Ward.

Richmond has a great defense and it will be tough for Elon to run on them, imo. If the o-line gives Riddle time to throw I think Elon will be able to score a lot.

I think Elon knocks off the Spiders.

kdinva
November 24th, 2009, 02:37 AM
Heck, if VMI can score 28 points on Richmond's defense (the most UR has allowed in 2009)xcoffeex.........Elon should be able to match that, providing they contain UR's front seven, which is capable of making life miserable for Elon's offensive front six. If Hudgins gets 9-plus catches for 150+ yards.......will be a barn-burnerxnodx.

O-Lines, D-lines/LB's and kicking game will decide this one. Hope UR can get at least 9,000 to attend (Thanksgiving break for all 8 host teams, obviously).

19Duke97
November 24th, 2009, 02:40 AM
You have to contain Ward, keep him in the pocket. If he get's mobile, you are in trouble.

JMU Newbill
November 24th, 2009, 02:45 AM
Richmond does everything well, but nothing spectacular. That's not meant to be a shot at all, that's a compliment. There are no weaknesses to Richmond's game. What they do isn't flashy, it's not going to win a lot of style points, but winning is winning. Don't expect them to make any mistakes.

If Elon wins, it will be because they played flawless football.

bostonspider
November 24th, 2009, 02:49 AM
Richmond has an offense that does what it has to do to win a game. The only game UR lost, the offense still put them in the position to win, unfortunately a 35 yard FG went a little off track. In general UR's offense has been pretty balanced, but W&M was able to completely shut down the run, forcing E. Ward to win the game (which he of course did).

Eight Legger
November 24th, 2009, 03:00 AM
If I were an Elon fan, I would want complete a couple of bombs for TDs early and get ahead by 14 or so.You'll need to play from ahead to win this game. The longer you go without a big play or two through the air, the more the game swings in UR's favor.

I suspect we'll do a fair amount of blitzing to try to force Riddle into some mistakes. Our D is usually good for 2-3 turnovers a game. Take care of the ball against us and don't turn the ball over, and it will be a close game.

Our offense is pretty balanced. As stated above, if you can get enough pressure on Ward to actually sack him a couple times, that will throw us off a bit. But only W&M and Villanova have really been able to do that this year with any success, and even still we should/could have won both games.

UncleSam
November 24th, 2009, 03:05 AM
I don't think Richmond has a very good offense. Mediocre at best. Elon needs to avoid giving up big plays and put pressure on Ward.

Richmond has a great defense and it will be tough for Elon to run on them, imo. If the o-line gives Riddle time to throw I think Elon will be able to score a lot.

Elon averages 32 a game - Richmond 31 vs a much tougher schedule. xnonox

Skjellyfetti
November 24th, 2009, 03:10 AM
Elon averages 32 a game - Richmond 31 vs a much tougher schedule. xnonox

Average points scored doesn't mean much to me because they both put up a lot of points on weak defenses and teams. Davidson, Presby, WCU, Citadel for Elon and Hofstra, VMI, Georgetown, and Towson for Richmond.

I'm basing it off watching the teams play. I think Elon's offense is much better.

Saint3333
November 24th, 2009, 03:14 AM
I think Elon's offense is more explosive. Richmond will likely play Elon like ASU did and keep Hudgins and Co. in front of them and make them earn their points by having to consistently make 3rd and 7s or longer. Elon will likely not be able to do this with the pressure UR will send Riddle's way. I'm afraid Elon will not be able to get more than 3 yards a carry against their run defense.

Prove me wrong Elon.

ericsaid
November 24th, 2009, 03:27 AM
See, App's offense IS flashy. Elon kept them quiet after the second quarter. I believe if Elon plays turnover free football and Riddle makes good decisions they will have an excellent shot.

The reason the App game was so lopsided from the start was the turnovers which weren't forced by App but instead by Riddle. He's got to keep his composure and be a leader. Elon's defense is good enough to contain Ward and at most slow them down enough to not allow TD's.

I'll go 20-10 Richmond. I'm hoping Elon can pull it off though as this will show they have arrived in the SoCon and FCS.

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 24th, 2009, 03:31 AM
I don't think Richmond has a very good offense. Mediocre at best.

Dave Coulson, is that you?

ericsaid
November 24th, 2009, 03:36 AM
Being held to thirteen points against anyone shows your offense is not great.xsmhx

Richmond seems to pride itself on defense and thats where this game will be won or lost for both teams. From looking at stats and what I saw of Riddle(I've actually seen Ward play more than Riddle)I believe Ward manages the game much better. That said, it's on the Elon offense to not put their defense in bad situations.

ElonAlum
November 24th, 2009, 03:37 AM
I have to agree with the idea of we need to get ahead quickly comment.....Elon can be a VERY explosive team but if Riddle is pressured I can see him making mistakes.

If this game turns into a shoot out Elon all the way. If not then Id think Richmond is gonna win.

LETS GO ELON! .....mainly because my dad went to Richmond and I want to talk some trash to him! xlolx

Skjellyfetti
November 24th, 2009, 03:38 AM
Dave Coulson, is that you?

Just my opinion on what I've seen.

They couldn't move the ball against Wiliam and Mary. Rushed for 18 yards. Yes, I know W&M has a great defense... but, so does Elon.

SoCon48
November 24th, 2009, 03:40 AM
See, App's offense IS flashy. Elon kept them quiet after the second quarter. I believe if Elon plays turnover free football and Riddle makes good decisions they will have an excellent shot.

The reason the App game was so lopsided from the start was the turnovers which weren't forced by App but instead by Riddle. He's got to keep his composure and be a leader. Elon's defense is good enough to contain Ward and at most slow them down enough to not allow TD's.

I'll go 20-10 Richmond. I'm hoping Elon can pull it off though as this will show they have arrived in the SoCon and FCS.

Many of Elon's turnovers were indeed forced by ASU.
Riddle was trying desperately and unsuccessfully to stay off his back all day.

Eight Legger
November 24th, 2009, 03:47 AM
Being held to thirteen points against anyone shows your offense is not great.xsmhx

Richmond seems to pride itself on defense and thats where this game will be won or lost for both teams. From looking at stats and what I saw of Riddle(I've actually seen Ward play more than Riddle)I believe Ward manages the game much better. That said, it's on the Elon offense to not put their defense in bad situations.

Really?? Even when it is the top defense in the country? What if App played the Pittsburgh Steelers next week and got shut out? Would you still feel the same way?

Skjellyfetti
November 24th, 2009, 03:50 AM
Really?? Even when it is the top defense in the country? What if App played the Pittsburgh Steelers next week and got shut out? Would you still feel the same way?

William and Mary isn't the top defense in the country. And Elon is a higher ranked defense. xnodx

Eight Legger
November 24th, 2009, 03:52 AM
William and Mary isn't the top defense in the country. And Elon is a higher ranked defense. xnodx

Well, they only faced three teams with winning records all year and lost badly to two of them. Our defense would look pretty good against that lineup too. Oh wait, it already looks pretty good.

ericsaid
November 24th, 2009, 03:53 AM

Legrees second pick off was overthrown ten yards, another was the result of a tipped pass by an Elon reciever. Ed Gainey had great coverage to make the pick he did. After that Riddle realized he couldn't throw down the field and then he was trying to stay off his back after that point.

I think Elon should stretch Richmond out with screens and such and then pound the middle to open up the play action to go deep. But since i've not seen Richmond play this season I don't know how the speed of both teams compare.

gophoenix
November 24th, 2009, 04:02 AM

Not to nit pick, but the first was a missed route by a received while Riddle wasn't under pressure. The second was overthrown, or floated or whatever, when Riddle wasn't under pressure. The third was tipped, which Riddle wasn't under pressure on either.

That's not to say App didn't pressure him and get to him. But the turnovers weren't from Riddle being rushed.

Elon Fightin' Christians
November 24th, 2009, 04:02 AM
From the little I know about Richmond i think the key will be how well Elon's O-line handles Richmond's D-line.

PhoenixSupreme
November 24th, 2009, 05:05 AM
I have seen both teams this season and this is what I think...

Elon needs to throw the deep passes. Richmond has a great defense (especially against the run) but from what I saw in the W&M game, they are a bit susceptible to a well-placed deep pass. The earlier Riddle gets himself into a groove, the better. Elon also needs to put pressure on Eric Ward as he tends to hold on to the ball a bit longer than desired when trying to find open receivers, rather than throwing it away.

Richmond, like Elon, needs to put pressure on the QB, as Riddle is susceptible to trying to force passes when the pocket breaks down. I've noticed that Elon tends to struggle on runs/throws to the flats, which is something that Ward did a lot of when William & Mary's blitzes were piling on. Ward also needs to try to extend the field as well, as I didn't see that hardly any during the William & Mary game. The FG-kicking situation for Richmond needs to be fixed post-haste, as that could be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

MaxASU'81
November 24th, 2009, 05:08 AM
Careful.....they are by far the dirtiest team in FCS football that we have E'RE played! They will try to take people out on purpose....not clean.....wear rubber gloves!

MacThor
November 24th, 2009, 05:18 AM
Careful.....they are by far the dirtiest team in FCS football that we have E'RE played! They will try to take people out on purpose....not clean.....wear rubber gloves!

Who - Richmond or Elon?

ItsyBitsySpider
November 24th, 2009, 05:31 AM
Should be a good game. I think Richmond's experience (starting 15 5-year seniors) is huge. They have something really special in front of them ..the chance to repeat as national champions which for a small private university would be an incredible accomplishment. They are going to be a tough tough out and it will take someone's best effort to put the nail in their coffin. Haven't seen enough of Elon to comment on their chances, but hopefully UR's special teams hold up, Ward is Ward, and the defense takes a few away.

SpidersSportsEditor
November 24th, 2009, 05:39 AM
If our special teams is good(i.e. we make field goals under 40 yards and don't snap the ball over our punters head), we probably won't lose this game. if it isn't that could mean a 10-14 point swing, and we could lose easily. The only thing that kept the Spiders from 11-0 was a failed XP and a failed 32 yarder and I think that is also the only thing that would keep them from the second round.

whoanellie
November 24th, 2009, 05:51 AM
what is field conditions at Richmond's city stadium? is it grass or turf? xconfusedx

spdram
November 24th, 2009, 06:01 AM
Natural grass, very well drained. About ten years ago when we hosted the NCAA Soccer Championships we ripped up the field put in a heck of a drainage system and turf system. I understand it was about 1 Mill at that time.

We have been getting alot of rain around here recently and although I believe the weather Saturday is scheduled to be good the surface may be loose due to all of the recent rains.

SoCon48
November 24th, 2009, 06:29 AM
Not to nit pick, but the first was a missed route by a received while Riddle wasn't under pressure. The second was overthrown, or floated or whatever, when Riddle wasn't under pressure. The third was tipped, which Riddle wasn't under pressure on either.

That's not to say App didn't pressure him and get to him. But the turnovers weren't from Riddle being rushed.

Your're right, they just f'ed up.

gophoenix
November 24th, 2009, 07:02 AM

Yeah ignore this typical cry baby stuff from some of the App fans. They complain when anyone hits their team hard and legally. Keep in mind, they knocked 12 of our guys out, yet hitting one of theirs means we are dirty.

xbawlingx

gophoenix
November 24th, 2009, 07:05 AM
Your're right, they just f'ed up.

No, App played a great game and rattled Elon early in multiple aspects which was the real difference maker. App set the tone and made Elon pay for mistakes in a bad way. Once Elon calmed down, App's D stepped up, not just in hurrying Riddle, but the defensive stand at the goal line was huge for you guys. App played hands down better, and I won't say otherwise.

I just was saying those 3 interceptions weren't because of Riddle being rushed, could be because of your secondary. Dunno. That's all I was saying.

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 24th, 2009, 07:19 AM

Who is the best defense in the country?

Reign of Terrier
November 24th, 2009, 07:24 AM
Well, they only faced three teams with winning records all year and lost badly to two of them. Our defense would look pretty good against that lineup too. Oh wait, it already looks pretty good.

they faced 3 teams--App, Furman, and Chattanooga...and only lost to App, what football are you watching?xeyebrowx

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 24th, 2009, 07:26 AM
they faced 3 teams--App, Furman, and Chattanooga...and only lost to App, what football are you watching?xeyebrowx

You're just throwing out the Wake game?

Reign of Terrier
November 24th, 2009, 07:47 AM
You're just throwing out the Wake game?

Wake doesn't have a winning recordxreadx

mistersykes
November 24th, 2009, 07:48 AM
I think Richmond has the defensive capability to shut Elon down just as ASU did. Ward gets it done at QB and is a real winner. I'm pulling for the upset, but I'm not counting on it.

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 24th, 2009, 07:50 AM
Wake doesn't have a winning recordxreadx

I assumed they did ... makes that shellacking look even worse!

Reign of Terrier
November 24th, 2009, 07:51 AM
I assumed they did ... makes that shellacking look even worse!

still a better team than any in the FCS IMO

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 24th, 2009, 07:57 AM
still a better team than any in the FCS IMO

If you are trying to justify a 4 score loss to a 4-7 Wake Forest team, you really don't have a high opinion of our level of football, huh?

They are 4 spots below Richmond in the Sagarin and 8 spots better than the Duke team that Richmond beat. They play Duke Saturday.

Reign of Terrier
November 24th, 2009, 08:01 AM
If you are trying to justify a 4 score loss to a 4-7 Wake Forest team, you really don't have a high opinion of our level of football, huh?

They are 4 spots below Richmond in the Sagarin and 8 spots better than the Duke team that Richmond beat. They play Duke Saturday.

they've played very well at times, coulda beat Miami, GT, Navy, BC, and Baylor (lost by 3 or less to each), they could very easily be 9-2

PhoenixMan
November 24th, 2009, 08:09 AM

Problem here is you are trying to bring the transverse property into football. Wake beat Elon, UR beat Duke, Duke is better than Wake= UR will whip the Phoenix. Maybe, we'll find out Saturday. As for the tranverse, your stellar defense gave up a load of points VMI...yes, VMI. So, if VMI scored a bunch on Richmond, then........xbangx

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 24th, 2009, 08:14 AM
Problem here is you are trying to bring the transverse property into football. Wake beat Elon, UR beat Duke, Duke is better than Wake= UR will whip the Phoenix. Maybe, we'll find out Saturday. As for the tranverse, your stellar defense gave up a load of points VMI...yes, VMI. So, if VMI scored a bunch on Richmond, then........xbangx

Transitive property can't be applied since Duke and Wake haven't played yet.

All I'm sayin' is both played low-mid pack ACC teams. We won and Elon got smoked.

Elon circled November 14th on their calendar and promptly laid another egg.

In the grand scheme of things, what has changed since our two teams played last Labor Day weekend ... aside from us electing our first Black President?

SpidersSportsEditor
November 24th, 2009, 08:15 AM

VMI never had a chance to win that game, so it didn't matter how many points they scored. The goal is to win games, and the D did enough to win that one. Ask W&M or Hofstra or JMU or Delaware or Duke how our defense is. Can we give up 20+ points? Yes. Does it happen often? No. (And when it does, Ward and the offense put up 30).

gophoenix
November 24th, 2009, 08:18 AM
Transitive property can't be applied since Duke and Wake haven't played yet.

All I'm sayin' is both played low-mid pack ACC teams. We won and Elon got smoked.

Elon circled November 14th on their calendar and promptly laid another egg.

In the grand scheme of things, what has changed since our two teams played last Labor Day weekend ... aside from us electing our first Black President?

Our main problem in the 2 losses is, we still put up good yards but fail to get the points. If we do it again this weekend, we get smoked. End of story.

Saint3333
November 24th, 2009, 08:22 AM
I don't remember UR fans being so obnoxious two years ago. Actually I don't remember UR fans two years ago.

Reign of Terrier
November 24th, 2009, 08:24 AM
I don't remember UR fans being so obnoxious two years ago. Actually I don't remember UR fans two years ago.

xoutofrepx

SpidersSportsEditor
November 24th, 2009, 08:30 AM

Well, we didn't have much to talk about 2 years ago, so many probably didn't bother with AGS. Personally, I've only been at Richmond for 2 years, so there wasn't much reason to be on here before that. :)

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 24th, 2009, 08:32 AM

Give it a rest. How easily we forget App fans and Elon fans tearing one another apart here for about a month ... until their game happened.

Then they realized they hadn't played any other quality opponents ... and decided they would be better off sticking up for one another.

How many App fans were there before they won 3 straight Championships?

Skjellyfetti
November 24th, 2009, 08:33 AM

More than Richmond currently has.

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 24th, 2009, 08:33 AM

You're probably right, Coulson.

Esko
November 24th, 2009, 09:22 AM
Cheering for the Phoenix to win this first round game. Would love to App vs Elon back at The Rock for a second round match-up

KiddBrewer
November 24th, 2009, 09:54 AM
Give it a rest. How easily we forget App fans and Elon fans tearing one another apart here for about a month ... until their game happened.

Then they realized they hadn't played any other quality opponents ... and decided they would be better off sticking up for one another.

proud to say that i began college at Appalachian State Teachers College in the Fall of 2005xscanx so.....I WAS THERExthumbsupx

Bettina90
November 24th, 2009, 09:55 AM

Reasons for this have been discussed at length both here and in other forums. It really boils down to "Basic Math" but we can review them if necessary. Maybe JMU and App State can cull their best and brightest and form a committee to help explain the simplicity to The Masses.

Elon Fightin' Christians
November 24th, 2009, 09:59 AM
Who is the best defense in the country?

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/stat/1AA-team-totaldef.htm

Total Defense:
1. PENN
2. ELON
3. W & M

I'll call it pretty much even.....

soccerguy315
November 24th, 2009, 10:00 AM
if you had to pick one defense to avoid... would you pick Penn?

Elon Fightin' Christians
November 24th, 2009, 10:04 AM
I knew this would start a whole Str of Sched debate. We can probably all agree to throw out UPenn.
I'm saying Elon and W&M is probably about even...

KiddBrewer
November 24th, 2009, 10:07 AM
Reasons for this have been discussed at length both here and in other forums. It really boils down to "Basic Math" but we can review them if necessary. Maybe JMU and App State can cull their best and brightest and form a committee to help explain the simplicity to The Masses.

it must be because Boone and Harrisonburg have MUCH larger population bases than Richmond to draw support from?

URMite
November 24th, 2009, 10:10 AM
I knew this would start a whole Str of Sched debate. We can probably all agree to throw out UPenn.

Would you say that Elon's defense has improved since last year? and if so what is the main change?

PhoenixMan
November 24th, 2009, 10:19 AM
Would you say that Elon's defense has improved since last year? and if so what is the main change?

Yes, I would say it has changed quite a bit. They have given up a bunch of points in the last two years. They would score points, Hudgins and Riddle would hook up for 200+ yards, and they still lose. The difference this year is 1) the pass rush, Ludwig and the emergence of Andre Campbell (leading the SoCon in sacks) who was in Lembo's doghouse until this year. 2) Senior DB's who know how to cover, and come up and hit. Still young at LB, but they have improved over the season. So, experience is the difference.

Native
November 24th, 2009, 10:20 AM

Richmond's offense is ranked 66th among all DI teams this week by Massey. Elon is 108th.

Richmond has victories over FOUR GPI top 25 teams: W&M, JMU, Delaware and UMass.

Elon has no victories over a GPI top 25 team.

Native
November 24th, 2009, 10:21 AM
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/stat/1AA-team-totaldef.htm

Total Defense:
1. PENN
2. ELON
3. W & M

I'll call it pretty much even.....

xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

Native
November 24th, 2009, 10:22 AM

xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

gofurman
November 24th, 2009, 10:22 AM
Richmond's offense is ranked 66th among all DI teams this week by Massey. Elon is 108th.

The Richmond offense has victories over FOUR GPI top 25 teams: W&M, JMU, Delaware and UMass.

Elon has no victories over a GPI top 25 team.

RIchmond - no question. CAA is awesome, you go 10-1 or whatever in that conference you have proven something to me. And I am a Socon guy. Like to see App at Richmond in second round.

also, teams don't usually fare well their first year in playoffs

MacThor
November 24th, 2009, 10:23 AM
In the grand scheme of things, what has changed since our two teams played last Labor Day weekend?

That's what I'm wondering. Richmond's seventeen returning starters from that game have gained a little experience - like 22 more wins and a National Championship.

What changes have the Phoenix made?

Bettina90
November 24th, 2009, 10:43 AM
it must be because Boone and Harrisonburg have MUCH larger population bases than Richmond to draw support from?

By that logic, Penn should have a HUGE following in Philly. And Columbia? Forget about it, build the Dallas Cowboys stadium equivalent in Manhattan.

AppyinVA
November 24th, 2009, 10:55 AM
Richmond will dominate Elon and will win by at least 2 touchdowns. As an App State fan, I know this Richmond team is the same one we lost to in the playoffs last year. I think we had a better team last year than this year and I think Elon is worse than we were last year.

PhoenixMan
November 24th, 2009, 11:05 AM
That's what I'm wondering. Richmond's seventeen returning starters from that game have gained a little experience - like 22 more wins and a National Championship.

What changes have the Phoenix made?

Changes.....well, they went 7-1 in the SoCon, and 9-2. Only losses were to an FBS team and App St. But, go ahead talk a bunch of Sh&%. We are the underdog. That's Ok with me. I hope your team goes into this game with the attitude that I have seen from the fans here today. Basically, Elon sucks and how dare they be on the same field with the Spiders. Show up thinking that you'll get T-Mobiled.

MacThor
November 24th, 2009, 11:17 AM
Changes.....well, they went 7-1 in the SoCon, and 9-2. Only losses were to an FBS team and App St. But, go ahead talk a bunch of Sh&%. We are the underdog. That's Ok with me. I hope your team goes into this game with the attitude that I have seen from the fans here today. Basically, Elon sucks and how dare they be on the same field with the Spiders. Show up thinking that you'll get T-Mobiled.

Dude, chill. I legitimately want to know what changes Elon has made since last year's 28-10 game. Personnel, coaching, schemes, whatever.

I've been the one saying Richmond drew the toughest first round "underdog." I am sure the Spiders are not taking Elon lightly.

My comment about the 22 wins and NC were directed at those who classify UR as "mediocre at best."

AppyinVA
November 24th, 2009, 11:17 AM

Being realistic, Elon will face a very good defense and a very good offense. Don't forget that the Spiders are the defending national champs. It will be difficult for Elon to match them. The SoCon this year has been down. Like App State, Richmond has experience, which Elon lacks. Elon will likely lose this game, but we are expecting great things from Elon next year. I for one would love to have a rematch with Elon in the quarters next week, but it won't happen. 2010 will be Elon's year.

Skjellyfetti
November 24th, 2009, 11:23 AM
My comment about the 22 wins and NC were directed at those who classify UR as "mediocre at best."

I said your offense was mediocre. Not your team. Your defense is nasty again (though probably not as good as last year's).

PhoenixMan
November 24th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Richmond will dominate Elon and will win by at least 2 touchdowns. As an App State fan, I know this Richmond team is the same one we lost to in the playoffs last year. I think we had a better team last year than this year and I think Elon is worse than we were last year.

No doubt Richmond is a great team, and the favorite. But, remember....AE threw 5picks in that game right? I don't care who you are playing, 5 picks in a playoff matchup, and it's over. If Elon turns it over at all it won't even be close. If they take care of the ball....maybe it will be worth my 3 hour drive. Either way, I'll be there yelling my A$% off with my 12 year old son, who is a diehard an Elon fan as you will encounter. Looking forward to it!

PhoenixMan
November 24th, 2009, 11:28 AM
Dude, chill. I legitimately want to know what changes Elon has made since last year's 28-10 game. Personnel, coaching, schemes, whatever.

I've been the one saying Richmond drew the toughest first round "underdog." I am sure the Spiders are not taking Elon lightly.

UR is much better than mediocre. The defending National Champs, and solid on both sides of the ball. Sorry I jumped back at you....just a little touchy after App St. torched us like they did, and the way it happened. 3 picks on the first 3 possessions, 3 TD's for Armanti and it's 21 zip in the 2nd. That was the only TD's they scored, which was a positive, but AE didn't run in the 2nd half because he was hurt.

MarchingMountaineer
November 24th, 2009, 05:10 PM
By that logic, Penn should have a HUGE following in Philly. And Columbia? Forget about it, build the Dallas Cowboys stadium equivalent in Manhattan.

Nice try... but no. There are a number of FBS and FCS colleges plus pro teams in and around Philly vying for the fan base. Does Richmond's attendence suffer because of VCU's football program? xcoffeex

gophoenix
November 24th, 2009, 06:01 PM

What hasn't changed is that Riddle is still QB and Hudgins is still at WR.

Outside of that, everything has changed. New offensive coordinator, new offensive schemes, multiple targets, running backs going in motion for receiving rather than just blocking, running backs who can catch, offensive line that has another year to mature, and a general maturity across the team overall.

I know App fans will disagree, but whatever, I am little tired of reading more App comments about this game than Elon or Richmond comments.

ThompsonThe
November 24th, 2009, 06:10 PM
I watched the Richmond and William and Mary game. Didn't see anything particularly impressive about either team.
Elon can win as long as they keep the turnovers down.

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 24th, 2009, 07:38 PM
I know App fans will disagree, but whatever, I am little tired of reading more App comments about this game than Elon or Richmond comments.

xthumbsupx

elon77
November 24th, 2009, 07:50 PM

It's OK to pi$$ off the Elon fans, we are a fairly tame bunch, but when you pi$$ off the ASU fans you have made a big mistake. They will eat you for lunch and clean their teeth with your bones. Well, should I say what teeth they have left. xlolx

Bettina90
November 24th, 2009, 08:34 PM
Nice try... but no. There are a number of FBS and FCS colleges plus pro teams in and around Philly vying for the fan base. Does Richmond's attendence suffer because of VCU's football program? xcoffeex

Now you are being ignorant, in the literal sense of the word. Having lived in Richmond and Philly for large periods of time, I can tell you that UVA (1 Hour away from Richmond, and VPI (2.5 Hours away), draw FAR more fans in Richmond than ANY FBS (Temple?) or FCS team in the Philly area.

This is also about ALUMNI #'s and the fact that Richmond is not a town almost completely centered around the college the way Boone is (been there many times, so don't go there).

MacThor
November 24th, 2009, 08:52 PM
Now you are being ignorant, in the literal sense of the word. Having lived in Richmond and Philly for large periods of time, I can tell you that UVA (1 Hour away from Richmond, and VPI (2.5 Hours away), draw FAR more fans in Richmond than ANY FBS (Temple?) or FCS team in the Philly area.

This is also about ALUMNI #'s and the fact that Richmond is not a town almost completely centered around the college the way Boone is (been there many times, so don't go there).

This is going to help Elon this weekend. Thanksgiving break AND Tech-UVa. Ugh. I hope we get a better turnout than for EKU.

ur2k
November 24th, 2009, 09:33 PM
What hasn't changed is that Riddle is still QB and Hudgins is still at WR.

Outside of that, everything has changed. New offensive coordinator, new offensive schemes, multiple targets, running backs going in motion for receiving rather than just blocking, running backs who can catch, offensive line that has another year to mature, and a general maturity across the team overall.

Key to the game IMO is the match up of Hudgins v Justin Rogers - that's a get-your-popcorn ready match-up. I don't think Elon can run on our D so Elon will need to be very successful in the air to put points on the board.

phoenix3
November 24th, 2009, 09:57 PM

Elon is a victim of this as well. Burlington and the surrounding area are all within 1 hr. driving distance from UNC, NCSU, Duke and Wake Forest. Each having thousands if not tens of thousands of fans and alumni in this area. Not to mention App which has about 1000 alumni living in this county. I have heard the statistic that one half of Elon Alumni have graduated within the last 15 years. I'm sure like UR, Elon has as more alumni outside our home state than inside. All of this makes a difference when trying to bring in fans on Saturdays.

Having said all that, I guess I should be proud that we pull in an average of 8,500 or so for our games. (This year was hurt by bad weather or the prospect of such, as well.)

ViennaSpider
November 24th, 2009, 10:53 PM

Reality check: August 30, 2008, the last (and only) time Richmond played Elon, it was not that close a contest. The visiting Spiders scored the first 14 points and wound up winning handily, 28-10. QB Eric Ward threw for a career-high 236 yards on 17-of-22 passing, with two touchdowns and no interceptions. The 2009 Spider team has much the same personnel as last year, and I expect a similar result.

ElonPride
November 25th, 2009, 12:19 AM
Reality check: August 30, 2008, the last (and only) time Richmond played Elon, it was not that close a contest. The visiting Spiders scored the first 14 points and wound up winning handily, 28-10. QB Eric Ward threw for a career-high 236 yards on 17-of-22 passing, with two touchdowns and no interceptions. The 2009 Spider team has much the same personnel as last year, and I expect a similar result.

It was a good first half, but the 2nd half was terrible! Both teams have much of the same personnel, and know the match up.

I'm just glad I have to drive only 5 minutes to see Elon's first FCS playoff game!

Saint3333
November 25th, 2009, 12:40 AM
Reality check: August 30, 2008, the last (and only) time Richmond played Elon, it was not that close a contest.

While we're having reality checks - it is November 24th, 2009.

I saw ASU lose to GSU 54-7 one year and beat them 24-7 the next. This Elon defense is much better as well as their running game. I don't think they will be able to run very well against UR, but they are a much better team than you faced early last year, playing this late is like having two seasons to improve as well.

Go Elon. <---- yeah I said it.xeekx

Banks!!!
November 25th, 2009, 12:44 AM
Can't belive I'm uttering these words after what the d-bags did to AE's leg two years in a row, but Go Elon.

I just threw up in my mouth a little.

phoenix3
November 25th, 2009, 12:48 AM

The score of last year's game certainly doesn't reflect how much of a beating I felt like you gave us last year. I do feel like most of that came in the 2nd half. The one thing I can say with 99% certainty is that the pre game prep mistakes that were made during the week before last year's game won't be made this year. Whether that will change the final outcome, we'll know by 4:30 pm this Saturday.

Prominentwon
November 25th, 2009, 12:59 AM
Is it just me, or do these Richmond fans all across this board seem arrogant as hell?

I understand fandom, but there's a difference between being a fan and being arrogant about it.

AppAlum2003
November 25th, 2009, 01:02 AM
Is it just me, or do these Richmond fans all across this board seem arrogant as hell?

I understand fandom, but there's a difference between being a fan and being arrogant about it.

It's a increasingly less rare condition called "CAA-itis". It affects the ability to comprehend humility and causes irrational spouts of perceived perfection.

PhoenixMan
November 25th, 2009, 01:03 AM

They do sound very cocky. However, they are the defending National Champions, and they aren't HALF as arrogant as the App St. fans.;)

Saint3333
November 25th, 2009, 01:04 AM
They weren't like this until this year, actually this month. The CAA as a whole seems to be getting more arrogant, but I didn't expect this from the UR fans. I guess until someone shuts them up it will continue.

Eight Legger
November 25th, 2009, 01:14 AM
I don't see anyone being arrogant. We are confident. What do you expect us to say? "Yeah, we're the defending champs and all, only lost one game all year to the #2 seed by one point, but damn, we think Elon is going to come to our place in the first round and kick our asses"?

Sorry, I don't think any of us will say that. No one is belittling Elon. They have a solid team and could very well beat us if we make mistakes or don't play our game. What I've heard some of us say is that we feel UR played a much more challenging schedule and has higher quality wins than anything Elon has. That doesn't mean they can't compete with us, it's just our assessment of the game.

AppyinVA
It's a increasingly less rare condition called "CAA-itis". It affects the ability to comprehend humility and causes irrational spouts of perceived perfection.

Richmond will have its hands full against Elon. Then its payback time for last year.

Prominentwon
They do sound very cocky. However, they are the defending National Champions, and they aren't HALF as arrogant as the App St. fans.;)

I beg to differ. My experience with App fans have been positive. Actually, it's not even close.

gophoenix
November 25th, 2009, 01:15 AM

Now I've seen everything!!!! :D

elon77
While we're having reality checks - it is November 24th, 2009.

I saw ASU lose to GSU 54-7 one year and beat them 24-7 the next. This Elon defense is much better as well as their running game. I don't think they will be able to run very well against UR, but they are a much better team than you faced early last year, playing this late is like having two seasons to improve as well.

Have you been in that juice you all make up in Boone?xbeerchugx

Prominentwon
I don't see anyone being arrogant. We are confident. What do you expect us to say? "Yeah, we're the defending champs and all, only lost one game all year to the #2 seed by one point, but damn, we think Elon is going to come to our place in the first round and kick our asses"?

Read my post. There's a difference between being a fan and being arrogant.

Ya think I'm just making this up out of nowhere? It's funny that everyone sees this except yourself.

gophoenix
November 25th, 2009, 01:17 AM
Can't belive I'm uttering these words after what the d-bags did to AE's leg two years in a row, but Go Elon.

OMG get off it. IT WASN'T INTENTIONAL. LATE HITS HAPPEN. People look for ANY WAYS to stop an unstoppable guy. If it means going after his feet or he breaks out on another 40 yard run, what the heck do you guys want?

You guys knocked 12 of our guys out of the game. TWELVE. And we're not sitting here complaining about it being dirty. IT'S THE WAY THE GAME GOES DOWN SOMETIMES. CRIPES.

Eight Legger
November 25th, 2009, 01:21 AM

Ya think I'm just making this up out of nowhere? It's funny that everyone sees this except yourself.

I read it. i don't see anyone being arrogant. People asked what has changed about Elon's defense since we played them last year. Is that arrogant?

ElonPride
November 25th, 2009, 01:29 AM
OMG get off it. IT WASN'T INTENTIONAL. LATE HITS HAPPEN. People look for ANY WAYS to stop an unstoppable guy. If it means going after his feet or he breaks out on another 40 yard run, what the heck do you guys want?

You guys knocked 12 of our guys out of the game. TWELVE. And we're not sitting here complaining about it being dirty. IT'S THE WAY THE GAME GOES DOWN SOMETIMES. CRIPES.

Knocked Shuman out for the season from what I hear.

phoenix3
November 25th, 2009, 01:29 AM
I read it. i don't see anyone being arrogant. People asked what has changed about Elon's defense since we played them last year. Is that arrogant?

According to Coach London, we have a new defensive coordinator since last year. The old one supposedly went to Bowling Green with Coach Clawson. xsmiley_wix

PhoenixMan
November 25th, 2009, 01:33 AM
Knocked Shuman out for the season from what I hear.

And, that was one heck of a hit.....that was what you call a slobber knocker!

Richmond98
November 25th, 2009, 01:54 AM
Yes we (Richmond fans) are confident. Like some other teams in the field I think we should be confident. At least more confident than some fans from other teams.

I think some Richmond fans are a little annoyed that our team is getting very little respect, especially from some App St fans. Go back through some posts the last few weeks like "who should be the 4th seed" or even this post where someone says our "offense is mediocre at best" and you will understand.

Or the guy who said he saw nothing impressive from our game vs. W&M. Really? You weren't impressed by both defenses. I will go on record as saying those are the two best defenses in the FCS. Through the stats away because both defenses are near then top of every defensive category and did it against tough competition.

Heck we have even been battling with Coulson that Eric Ward should be considered one of the top players in the country. That guy thinks EW is just average at best (his words).

There are some App St fans that are still bitter about last year. While some were very gracious in defeat others would not admit Richmond was the better team. Not that it matters because this is a new year and I expect both teams to get a chance to prove it again in round two.

I can tell you that our offense is not mediocre at best. It is very solid. Our OL is just as good as last year and even more experienced. Our WR are better and deeper than last year. Our RB rotation is different style but in all is much deeper. I think we will miss Josh Vaughn's pushing style in the play-offs. That is the only area on offense that is not as good or better than last year.

I think our defense sets up the same way. We are deeper, more talented and more experienced at LB and in the D-backfield than last year. Our DL, which was our strength last year is still as solid against the run but not as good at the ends (no Sidbury or Logan) and thus does not get as much pressure on the QB without running more blitz'.

Overall, I think we are a better this year than last year. Only difference is they really hit their stride in the play-offs last year and we don't know yet if that will happen this time. The only area that we are worse off than last year is SP. It has almost cost us 3 games and did cost us our only loss. Overall, this team is more talented and deeper than last year at every position, expect DE.

MacThor
November 25th, 2009, 03:12 AM

Oh. Elon 7, WF 35. Elon 10, ASU 27

ur2k
November 25th, 2009, 03:27 AM

Please explain it. It seems like one person said all the UR fans are arrogant and you just jumped on the bandwagon. I think we're one of the more reasonable group of fans on here.

I think we've got one of the tougher first round match-ups out of all the seeds. Elon is good but (homer alert) I think Richmond is better. I think our linebackers and d-line could make Riddle very uncomfortable all game and that he won't have the time to pick us apart. We also have one of the best cover corners in FCS that can slightly negate the Hudgins factor (notice I said slightly b/c I still expect him to have a good game - he's that good) but who else will step up for Elon? That's a real question not an arrogant statement.

2xspyder
November 25th, 2009, 03:38 AM
The one thing that can be said about Richmond fans overall is that we are anything but arogant. We are just like every other fan on this message board: proud of our team.
I was in Chattanooga for the Big Game last year and was pleased at how well the Montana and Richmond fans got along. We all enjoyed being together. The game last weekend vs. WM was a model of civility...UR and WM fans even tailgated together.
Most Spider fans I know are just so grateful for this recent success that they don't want to do anything to jinx it. Of course, there may be a few knuckleheads out there who don't know how to enjoy success...we've seen that on this message board from many other teams.
We look forward to Elon fans being with us this weekend, and hope they have a wonderful time in a great city. Good luck to all!

PhoenixSupreme
November 25th, 2009, 03:46 AM
The one thing that can be said about Richmond fans overall is that we are anything but arogant. We are just like every other fan on this message board: proud of our team.
I was in Chattanooga for the Big Game last year and was pleased at how well the Montana and Richmond fans got along. We all enjoyed being together. The game last weekend vs. WM was a model of civility...UR and WM fans even tailgated together.
Most Spider fans I know are just so grateful for this recent success that they don't want to do anything to jinx it. Of course, there may be a few knuckleheads out there who don't know how to enjoy success...we've seen that on this message board from many other teams.
We look forward to Elon fans being with us this weekend, and hope they have a wonderful time in a great city. Good luck to all!

I was at the UR-W&M as a neutral party and I will say that both fans represented their schools well and were very classy in the process. I'm kind of relieved, in a sense, to have my Elon team come play Richmond because I know now that the fans are good fans. Also, since I'm sitting on the home side with some of my pals, I'm not terribly worried about some jerks giving us a hard time.

Although I wish you guys would get rid of the PA guy who leads chants...C'mon now, you guys should be able to lead your own chants xsmiley_wix

gophoenix
November 25th, 2009, 04:05 AM
Please explain it. It seems like one person said all the UR fans are arrogant and you just jumped on the bandwagon. I think we're one of the more reasonable group of fans on here.

I would tend to agree, reasonable.

UR Spider
November 25th, 2009, 04:36 AM

I'm biased of course, but I will say it anyway - I whole heartedly agree with the above. We've won one National Championship since 1830. This winning thing is relatively new to us (I wasn't around for the glory years of Tangerine Bowl invites). We only have 2,800 undergrads, if anything I think alumni tend to think of ourselves as the little school that could.

Again, maybe some of the comments on this board come across the wrong way, especially if you're looking for slights real or imagined. The whole "us against the world" and "nobody beleived in us" are time honored sports cliches. The last word I would use to describe those of us who follow Spider sports would be arrogant. Yes, we are excited at the prospect of repeating and doubling our amount of national titles but I don't think anyone thinks we'll beat Elon without a struggle. It's the playoffs - there are no gimmies out there.

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 25th, 2009, 04:41 AM
I think most of the 'arrogance' perceived on this thread started when AppfanFettyJelli dba Dave Coulson said Richmond's offense was 'mediocre' at best.

Then the App Fans said we were arrogant when we responded.

App fans are pro-Elon on this thread, because they want to bash the CAA ... and hope to similarly bash Elon next week.

Seems to me that App fans like to run their collective mouths, but don't like it when somebody pushes back ... fairly similar phenomenon to their football team, actually.

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 25th, 2009, 04:43 AM
Have any Richmond fans been on the App State versus SCSU thread and bashed facets of App's game? xconfusedx

Saint3333
November 25th, 2009, 04:45 AM
Seems to me that App fans like to run their collective mouths, but don't like it when somebody pushes back ... fairly similar phenomenon to their football team, actually.

This is crazy. When did ASU's football team run its mouth?

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 25th, 2009, 04:48 AM
I mostly meant the 'soft' part.

proasu89
November 25th, 2009, 04:52 AM
I think most of the 'arrogance' perceived on this thread started when AppfanFettyJelli dba Dave Coulson said Richmond's offense was 'mediocre' at best.

Then the App Fans said we were arrogant when we responded.

App fans are pro-Elon on this thread, because they want to bash the CAA ... and hope to similarly bash Elon next week.

Jelly has an opinion and you get your knickers in a wad. xbawlingx App fans said we were arrogantxbawlingx Boo frickin hoo xviolinx xlolx

Saint3333
November 25th, 2009, 04:53 AM
You think ASU's players are soft, now that is a joke, your credibility is in danger with comments like this. Attacking loud mouth fans is acceptable for a message board, but attacking the heart and toughness of football players who have played Michigan, LSU, ECU, and 10 playoff opponents the past three years is just insane.

ur2k
November 25th, 2009, 04:58 AM
You think ASU's players are soft, now that is a joke, your credibility is in danger with comments like this. Attacking loud mouth fans is acceptable for a message board, but attacking the heart and toughness of football players who have played Michigan, LSU, ECU, and 10 playoff opponents the past three years is just insane.

I didn't think it was possible to catch that many fish with one piece of bait.

xlolx

PhoenixMan
November 25th, 2009, 05:07 AM

xlolx

oh it is, I throw some lines out every now and then just to see what will happen. Since App kicked our butts (or more like AE kicked our butts) I have been nice. Crow tastes bad after awhile.

Phoenixrising
November 25th, 2009, 05:09 AM

I would just like to say thank you to the App fans here that are actually standing up for the Southern Conference. The Socon and CAA have been recently dueling it out for supremacy as THE premier football conference in the FCS as both conferences have been boasting national championships and playoff participation for a very long time. Its great to see us rally together in these brief moments when we're not at each other's throats.

That being said, I would like to try to calm some of the brooding hostility over these "dirty hits", for while i wasn't at the Rock last year to see them, and i've heard that there were some questionably late hits made by a young, frustrated defense, this past year i felt was a relatively clean game. Both sides went after each other with a lot of heart and passion. I saw the hit AE took and it was not some sort of diving tackle aimed directly at his ACL, but rather a weirdly angled tackle from a broken defender and the subsequent pile-up that seemed to do the actual damage that injured the knee.

GO PHOENIX!!!

james_lawfirm
November 25th, 2009, 05:14 AM
I would just like to say thank you to the App fans here that are actually standing up for the Southern Conference. The Socon and CAA have been recently dueling it out for supremacy as THE premier football conference in the FCS as both conferences have been boasting national championships and playoff participation for a very long time. It great to see us rally together in these brief moments when we're not at each other's throats.

That being said, I would like to try to simmer some of the brooding hostility over these "dirty hits", for while i wasn't at the Rock last year to see them, and i've heard that there were some questionably late hits made by a young, frustrated defense, this past year i felt was a relatively clean game. Both sides went after each other with a lot of heart and passion. I saw the hit AE took and it was not some sort of diving tackle aimed directly at his ACL, but rather a weirdly angled tackle from a broken defender and the subsequent pile-up that seemed to do the actual damage that injured the knee.

I agree with your view of the game. However, please know that many Appfans have interpreted some bad intent there. I have tried to dissuade them from their opinion, but no luck.

I think it best to just move on.

Mountaineer#96
November 25th, 2009, 05:19 AM

Started school at ASU in fall of 2003..........we went 6-5 that year and didn't go the playoffs............

you are such a hater.....

Mountaineer#96
November 25th, 2009, 05:21 AM
oh it is, I throw some lines out every now and then just to see what will happen. Since App kicked our butts (or more like AE kicked our butts) I have been nice. Crow tastes bad after awhile.

Don't worry ........if you guys take care of business this weekend Richmond will find out how it tastes....

Skjellyfetti
November 25th, 2009, 05:22 AM
Why do Richmond fans find my comment so apalling?

Yeah, I said I thought your offense was just ok... but, I did say you have a very, very good defense and it will be tough for Elon to run the ball against da Spidahs. Y'all have an average offense and a ridiculously good defense. I think App has a ridiculously good offense and an average defense. Are either of those statements that outlandish? xconfusedx

I was just giving my honest assesment of the game. Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers. Thought that was what the thread was for. xlolx xbowx

PhoenixMan
November 25th, 2009, 05:56 AM
Why do Richmond fans find my comment so apalling?

Yeah, I said I thought your offense was just ok... but, I did say you have a very, very good defense and it will be tough for Elon to run the ball against da Spidahs. Y'all have an average offense and a ridiculously good defense. I think App has a ridiculously good offense and an average defense. Are either of those statements that outlandish? xconfusedx

I was just giving my honest assesment of the game. Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers. Thought that was what the thread was for. xlolx xbowx

Ruffle 'em up. I think their offense is just OK also. Ward is good, he's no AE (and other than taking off when the pocket breaks down he's no Scott Riddle). Winning a NC is huge....I give them Kudos for that. But, I really believe that they think the SoCon is awful, and if Elon waltzed through with only a loss to Appy, it must be. I think we will give them all they want and more. Looking forward to the game.

MacThor
November 25th, 2009, 06:26 AM
I really believe that they think the SoCon is awful, and if Elon waltzed through with only a loss to Appy, it must be.

No you don't.

gophoenix
November 25th, 2009, 06:32 AM
I think it best to just move on.

That would be for the best also, but come on man, have you seen some of the stuff some of your fans hold on to and for how long they hold on to it????

paward
November 25th, 2009, 06:37 AM
I was Socon a long time before I was CAA. I have all the respect for the teams and conference south of us. I have heard somethings at Georgia Southern that will make a prison guard look twice. Better yet it has come for some dear family members and friends. I am not picking on my second team but the truth is some of those games get a little heated. I am not saying that CAA does not have it. I have had to lower my head at some CAA game to avoid a hit from something foreign.

At UR we are not arrogant. We are passionate about out team. We do expect to win, everyone should feel that way about their team. But when we play win or loose we show class not ashe. Safe travels Elon, we are looking forward to your visit.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 25th, 2009, 06:58 AM
This seems familiar...

Oh yeah, it was the same stuff last year the week before Wofford was going to play JMU...Wofford got blown out by the only good team they played...blah blah blah...the SoCon is Pop Warner compared to the CAA...blah blah blah. JMU will embarass Wofford blah blah blah.

I think Richmond is in for a big surprise if they think this is going to look like last year's game. This is IMO the game of the week.

AppyinVA
November 25th, 2009, 07:03 AM
I would just like to say thank you to the App fans here that are actually standing up for the Southern Conference. The Socon and CAA have been recently dueling it out for supremacy as THE premier football conference in the FCS as both conferences have been boasting national championships and playoff participation for a very long time. Its great to see us rally together in these brief moments when we're not at each other's throats.

That being said, I would like to try to calm some of the brooding hostility over these "dirty hits", for while i wasn't at the Rock last year to see them, and i've heard that there were some questionably late hits made by a young, frustrated defense, this past year i felt was a relatively clean game. Both sides went after each other with a lot of heart and passion. I saw the hit AE took and it was not some sort of diving tackle aimed directly at his ACL, but rather a weirdly angled tackle from a broken defender and the subsequent pile-up that seemed to do the actual damage that injured the knee.

GO PHOENIX!!!

The late hit on AE was rough and it sure looked bad, I was there and I have seen the replay. But it was nothing compared to what Montana did to Rodney Landers of JMU in the 1st half of last year's quarter finals. The Montana player deliberately grabbed Landers' ankle in his arms and performed a Crocodile roll. It ended Lander's college football career and almost damaged him permanently. There is no place for cheap shots that are intended to cause permanent damage.

spdram
November 25th, 2009, 07:11 AM
Spider fans have been hearing all year how they "aren't that good", and many are tired of it. Some get a little thin skinned and/or defensive.

Every FCS team has it's weakness and the good ones their strengths. That's what limited scholarships give you, and I think is a benefit of watching FCS football. But I'm pleased with where we are; 10-1, only loss by 1 point to the #2 team in the country, and had a shot at winning that with a last second FG that went wide left. Most teams in the country would like to have had that season. Give us that kick again and I think we make it, why? The staff has been working on the problems that lead to that miss, I think we are better there.

I think we win this game, I think Elon could win but it will take their best. Frankly I hope ASU also wins and has to come to Richmond to play us here. I made that trip twice in the last two years, I think it's only fair they make it once. Frankly I had a great time both years and found the ASU fans passionate but fair. As much as I would like to play Montana again I would rather they lose before our game so we can have that potential third home game. If that's arrogant, then I'm proud of it.

Elon fans, looking forward to your visit, hope you have a great time, except for the final score. Here's hoping for a great game, no injuries on either side and a Spider victory! Be safe -- see ya Saturday!

james_lawfirm
November 25th, 2009, 07:15 AM
That would be for the best also, but come on man, have you seen some of the stuff some of your fans hold on to and for how long they hold on to it????

There's a joke in there somewhere.

MacThor
November 25th, 2009, 07:25 AM
This seems familiar...

Oh yeah, it was the same stuff last year the week before Wofford was going to play JMU...Wofford got blown out by the only good team they played...blah blah blah...the SoCon is Pop Warner compared to the CAA...blah blah blah. JMU will embarass Wofford blah blah blah.

I think Richmond is in for a big surprise if they think this is going to look like last year's game. This is IMO the game of the week.

OMG would you please stop. The only people bringing all this perceived dissing up are SoCon fans. JMU was po'd last year that as #1 seed they got such a tough matchup. I don't know a single JMU fan (and I know many) that thought they were going to roll Wofford. The inferiority complex is so tiresome.

WE DO NOT THINK THE SOCON SUCKS. I GUARANTEE THE PLAYERS DON'T. GET OVER YOURSELVES.

When many of this UR senior class were redshirting in '05, they watched as Furman ended an unexpected Spider playoff run. Two years later (and two years ahead of schedule*), Appalachian State crushed their hopes of a first NC appearance in the semis. Those are the only two OOC FCS losses the Spiders have suffered in over four years. To Furman and ASU. In the playoffs. Why on earth would they have anything but respect for the SoCon?

YoUDeeMan
November 25th, 2009, 07:34 AM
C'mon, don't let the score fool you, Wofford really didn't have a chance in that game. 10 point JMU lead late in the fourth and Woffy gets a score with a minute left.

Enjoy your moral victory, but JMU was the better team by far...and, despite their wins, they were not close to being the best CAA team...any rational fan knew that before the regular season was over.

pbr1893
November 25th, 2009, 08:01 AM
So tell me....what does Elon HAVE to stop first
cheap shots on quarterbacks and wide receivers comes to mind.xnonox

phoenixphanatic21
November 25th, 2009, 08:36 AM

Wait, we late hit WRs too? What's next? We took cheap shots at Coach Moore?

Back to the topic of this thread, I cannot wait for the game this Saturday to see what the atmosphere is like for the game, even if most of the students aren't there. I love to visit other stadiums. Looking forward to the game and let's hope for a classic. Go Phoenix!

PhoenixMan
November 25th, 2009, 08:43 AM

Cheap shots again, huh? All I can say at this point is 1) the rules are designed to prevent cheap shots. If you do it, you get a 15 yd. penalty, or you get away with it, to which I say more power to you. 2) PUT ON YOUR BIG GIRL PANTIES, THIS IS FOOTBALL.

gophoenix
November 25th, 2009, 08:44 AM

xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx

This is getting tiresome. My goodness you guys know how to whine.

YoUDeeMan
November 25th, 2009, 08:49 AM
xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx

This is getting tiresome. My goodness you guys know how to whine.

FWIW, Pabst Blue Ribbon was an awful beer.

seattlespider
November 25th, 2009, 08:52 AM
OMG would you please stop. The only people bringing all this perceived dissing up are SoCon fans. JMU was po'd last year that as #1 seed they got such a tough matchup. I don't know a single JMU fan (and I know many) that thought they were going to roll Wofford. The inferiority complex is so tiresome.

WE DO NOT THINK THE SOCON SUCKS. I GUARANTEE THE PLAYERS DON'T. GET OVER YOURSELVES.

When many of this UR senior class were redshirting in '05, they watched as Furman ended an unexpected Spider playoff run. Two years later (and two years ahead of schedule*), Appalachian State crushed their hopes of a first NC appearance in the semis. Those are the only two OOC FCS losses the Spiders have suffered in over four years. To Furman and ASU. In the playoffs. Why on earth would they have anything but respect for the SoCon?

xnodx

Skjellyfetti
November 25th, 2009, 09:00 AM
WE DO NOT THINK THE SOCON SUCKS.

I would like to see another smackdown of a SoCon pretender on the schedule, but without the 12-game schedule I guess it'll have to wait.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1281548&highlight=socon#post1281548

I certainly hope y'all don't consider Elon to be a pretender because they will give you all you can handle.

MacThor
November 25th, 2009, 09:02 AM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1281548&highlight=socon#post1281548

I certainly hope y'all don't consider Elon to be a pretender because they will give you all you can handle.

Nice edit to remove the sarcasm wink. From a 10-month old post.

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 25th, 2009, 09:02 AM

You really went back and searched his posts since January?

Reign of Terrier
November 25th, 2009, 09:04 AM
You really went back and searched his posts since January?

I'm pretty sure he just searched "SoCon sucks" or something like that (Socon is highlighted)

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 25th, 2009, 09:06 AM

xlolx

xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxrotatehx

Skjellyfetti
November 25th, 2009, 09:09 AM
WE DO NOT THINK THE SOCON SUCKS.

But the SoCon is terrible and layup for ASU.
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1465393&highlight=socon#post1465393

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 25th, 2009, 09:10 AM
I'm pretty sure he just searched "SoCon sucks" or something like that (Socon is highlighted)

Does that make it any less ridiculous of a study? xconfusedx

Reign of Terrier
November 25th, 2009, 09:16 AM
Does that make it any less ridiculous of a study? xconfusedx

If one remembers contradictions in posts it isn't ridiculous, if not....well............xeyebrowx

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 25th, 2009, 09:20 AM
Yeah, Elon's D has good numbers. But, they haven't faced an offense in the top 50.

Is that how it works?

Skjellyfetti
November 25th, 2009, 09:23 AM
Is that how it works?

See, it wasn't so hard or time consuming, was it?

xlolx

Nah, but, I don't see what's wrong with my post. Elon hadn't faced a great offense. Now they have. And they held the (at the time) #1 offense in the country below their average. Richmond does not have a great offense. So what's your point?

MacThor
November 25th, 2009, 09:23 AM
Elon won a key game in November. xeekxxeekxxeekx

WTF is goin on?

Or is this how it works?

Reign of Terrier
November 25th, 2009, 09:24 AM
Or is this how it works?

that's Socon humor, so your point really doesn't matterxscanx

Bettina90
November 25th, 2009, 09:24 AM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1465393&highlight=socon#post1465393

Hey, don't bring me into this, I DO think the SoCon is terrible, at least compared to what you have to play in the CAA South. And by "terrible", what I mean is, Elon beating everyone except App State, then losing 27-10 at home to them, does not show me much more about Elon than what we learned in August of 08.

Elon may be a great team and may come in and send the Spiders packing, but their Socon Results don't show that to me.

Bettina90
November 25th, 2009, 09:25 AM
Eh, quoted the wrong quote, but you get the idea.

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 25th, 2009, 09:25 AM
Or is this how it works?

Yeah Thor - you took 10 months to change your mind. Coulson changed his several times over a 2 week period. xscanx

PhoenixMan
November 25th, 2009, 09:27 AM
Hey, don't bring me into this, I DO think the SoCon is terrible, at least compared to what you have to play in the CAA South. And by "terrible", what I mean is, Elon beating everyone except App State, then losing 27-10 at home to them, does not show me much more about Elon than what we learned in August of 08.

Elon may be a great team and may come in and send the Spiders packing, but their Socon Results don't show that to me.

SoCon results? They lost to App St. Beat the sh!* out of every other team except Furman, which was a close one. Points for and against was lopsided our way.

Skjellyfetti
November 25th, 2009, 09:28 AM

And App has a history of blowing out very good teams and making them look a whole lot worse than they are.

Richmond '07, Delaware '07, Wofford '08 are some examples.

We weren't 20 points better than Richmond that year... and we aren't 17 points better than Elon this year.

MacThor
November 25th, 2009, 09:32 AM
Yeah Thor - you took 10 months to change your mind. Coulson changed his several times over a 2 week period. xscanx

By they way, I enjoyed the game today. Exciting matchup... two very good defenses. It was hard to gauge the offenses since both d-lines dominated the whole game.

Or 2 day period.

Bettina90
November 25th, 2009, 09:36 AM
And App has a history of blowing out very good teams and making them look a whole lot worse than they are.

Richmond '07, Delaware '07, Wofford '08 are some examples.

We weren't 20 points better than Richmond that year... and we aren't 17 points better than Elon this year.

Again, you may be right and I am not afraid to speak what I think out here nor do I get my panties in a twist if someone says something I disagree with.

Elon will get their chance on Saturday and I posted in the game thread I think they have a shot. I just don't think the SoCon slate is a very good benchmark. As for App being 20 better than Richmond in 2007? Well, the game was tied in the 4th Quarter and Richmond was w/o the Big Two DE and Hightower was banged up. So I guess I agree with you and disagree with you, as it stood, that night, App was 20 points better, and that's all that matters.

Skjellyfetti
November 25th, 2009, 09:41 AM
Or 2 day period.

What's wrong with my post? I saw William and Mary's D-line dominate your o-line. I think Elon's front 4 will do so similarly.

This game will be similar to the UR-W&M game, imo, in that both teams will find it very hard to make yards on the ground. I think Elon's passing game will be the difference if Riddle has time to throw. (Big if... but I think they'll get it done)

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 25th, 2009, 09:43 AM
What's wrong with my post? I saw William and Mary's D-line dominate your o-line. I think Elon's front 4 will do so similarly.

This game will be similar to the UR-W&M game, imo, in that both teams will find it very hard to make yards on the ground. I think Elon's passing game will be the difference if Riddle has time to throw. (Big if... but I think they'll get it done)

Uh ... 'it was hard to gauge offenses' went to 'Richmond offense is mediocre at best' in 2 days... xconfusedx

You started it.

WrenFGun
November 25th, 2009, 09:51 AM

I would be SHOCKED if Elon's line is in the same stratosphere as Richmond's. I expect Richmond to win by double digits.

Bettina90
November 25th, 2009, 09:53 AM
I agree. And William and Mary's D-Line is better than Richmond's.

paward
November 25th, 2009, 10:11 AM
Ok, I will go to bed. Sick of this pee contest. See ya Elon and Socon on Saturday.

WrenFGun
November 25th, 2009, 10:17 AM
I mean, Richmond beat a top 5 ranked school, lost by 1 to another top 5 ranked school, and beat an FCS. They are at home. Elon lost to the only two teams they played (I know, I know, Elon fans are tired of my stating a fact). As I mentioned, this game shouldn't be close, though Richmond has had a tendency of letting teams hang around.

Reign of Terrier
November 25th, 2009, 10:19 AM
you know you CAA fans make it hard to pull for you, I mean before hand I felt kind of neutral in this, I thought Richmond would win but would silently pull for Elon. Now I'll be pulling hard for Elon

pbr1893
November 25th, 2009, 10:30 AM
FWIW, Pabst Blue Ribbon was an awful beer.

funny...good game in chatty a few years ago...for us...you guys were awful!xlolx

PhoenixPhan
November 25th, 2009, 10:33 AM
I definitely respect the football that Richmond has played. I think the key for Elon is to stay cool and not get worked up by the hype--I really believe that that was our downfall in the losses to Wake and App. The stakes were high, and we weren't used to it. If our boys can do a better job of staying calm under the pressure, we'll have a great game on our hands.

That said, we can make predictions all day long based on what we saw in the regular season, but these are the playoffs--it's a whole new ball game now! Looking forward to being there on Saturday!

Skjellyfetti
November 25th, 2009, 10:34 AM
I would be SHOCKED if Elon's line is in the same stratosphere as Richmond's. I expect Richmond to win by double digits.

Hmmmm. I think they're certainly in the same stratosphere....

Comparing Richmond and Elon's d-line's is pretty difficult because they are both very, very dominating.

Richmond and Elon faced the number 1 and the number 2 ranked rushing attacks in FCS (Wofford and VMI). Both offenses average over 270 yards rushing per game. Both defenses kept these teams WELL below their averages and held them to around 150 yards rushing.

I don't know if Elon's d-line is better than Richmond's. I do believe they are very similar, however. They are damn well in teh same stratosphere. xrolleyesx

WrenFGun
November 25th, 2009, 10:41 AM
Elon was clobbered by Richmond last year, and I don't see any reason for something different to happent his time around.

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but I've seen 7 Richmond and 3 Elon games over the last 2 years, and don't believe the defenses are really close. Like I said, Elon earned most of their merit defensively against mediocre to plain bad teams. Richmond allowed 21 points to Villanova, 10 to W&M and what, 14? to Duke?

StonewallSpider
November 25th, 2009, 10:42 AM
funny...good game in chatty a few years ago...for us...you guys were awful!xlolx

lets not turn this into trash talking about PBR, go to sticky rice on a rainy day and you'll see Richmond loves that beer

DTSpider
November 25th, 2009, 10:57 AM
Holy cow - you don't check AGS for a couple of days and there's a 170 post thread on this game...

Bottom line is that I think that the vast majority of Richmond fans appreciate that Elon is a very good football team. Heck - see the thread on our board about how we feel W&M got a better draw than we did.

I personally love the matchup. Two small private schools. Both have an underdor mentality.

I believe that Richmond will ultimately pull away in the 2nd half. I think that Richmond has more depth, a better o-line and has big game experience. I don't think it'll be a blowout unless one team just goes turnover crazy. I'm expecting a 24-14 type of score. Although I must admit that I'm a little nervous that Elon will beat us with the deep ball often. Outside of Rogers, the Richmond secondary is far better in run support than pass coverage and tends to get beat deep.

Phoenix87
November 25th, 2009, 11:42 AM
Elon was clobbered by Richmond last year, and I don't see any reason for something different to happent his time around.

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but I've seen 7 Richmond and 3 Elon games over the last 2 years, and don't believe the defenses are really close. Like I said, Elon earned most of their merit defensively against mediocre to plain bad teams. Richmond allowed 21 points to Villanova, 10 to W&M and what, 14? to Duke?

I find this kind of funny. Richmond didn't clobber us last year. They pulled away in the second half when our players were on the sideline cramping up and unable to get an IV because our team doctor refuses to give them on the sideline, while Richmond's players were coming off the field and getting one whenever needed. It made a huge difference and I think that showed that Richmond's staff was prepared for the unbelievable heat that that game was played in while ours was not. I'm not saying that as an excuse, but giving them credit for outsmarting us. I am also not saying that we would have won that game had our players gotten IV fluids. But if fans remember the second half, our training staff was out on the field every series bringing someone off from cramping. It made a huge difference in that game.

Last season UR had an AMAZING defensive line. Sidbury was a freak. While I haven't seen UR's d-line this season, I have a hard time believing this years d-line is as strong as lasts. And all but one of Elon's lineman faced Richmond last year, so they know what to expect.

Elon's d-line this year reminds me of Richmond's last year. I expect a close game and I really don't know who is going to win. Elon has a huge student and alumni base in the Richmond/DC/Baltimore area and Richmond isn't that far away from Elon, so I expect a strong showing from the alumni and student body. Good luck to the Spiders. I'm in Colorado, so I won't be able to make the game. Wish I could.

Native
November 25th, 2009, 12:00 PM
... Richmond didn't clobber us last year. They pulled away in the second half when our players were on the sideline cramping up and unable to get an IV because our team doctor refuses to give them on the sideline, while Richmond's players were coming off the field and getting one whenever needed. It made a huge difference and I think that showed that Richmond's staff was prepared for the unbelievable heat that that game was played in while ours was not. I'm not saying that as an excuse, ....

Of course it's not an excuse, but if it were an excuse it would be one of the best I have ever heard! xthumbsupx xbowx

phoenix3
November 25th, 2009, 12:31 PM
Holy cow - you don't check AGS for a couple of days and there's a 170 post thread on this game...

Bottom line is that I think that the vast majority of Richmond fans appreciate that Elon is a very good football team. Heck - see the thread on our board about how we feel W&M got a better draw than we did.

I personally love the matchup. Two small private schools. Both have an underdor mentality.

I believe that Richmond will ultimately pull away in the 2nd half. I think that Richmond has more depth, a better o-line and has big game experience. I don't think it'll be a blowout unless one team just goes turnover crazy. I'm expecting a 24-14 type of score. Although I must admit that I'm a little nervous that Elon will beat us with the deep ball often. Outside of Rogers, the Richmond secondary is far better in run support than pass coverage and tends to get beat deep.

Hey buddy! we are a medium sized private school & don't you forget it!!!

Best of luck at least for an injury free game. I hope we have more luck on the score thing!!

See you all on Saturday.

CrackerRiley
November 25th, 2009, 01:00 PM
you know you CAA fans make it hard to pull for you, I mean before hand I felt kind of neutral in this, I thought Richmond would win but would silently pull for Elon. Now I'll be pulling hard for Elon

Agreed. I was thinking Richmond would win this by double digits but now I'm hoping for something different. I don't care who wins this game, but I know that if App wins their 1st rounder I'll be pumped for our next opponent, for sure!
Elon at home! Awesome!
Richmond. Chance to beat a top team in the 2nd round? I'll take it!

MarchingMountaineer
November 25th, 2009, 02:15 PM

So if the score is within single digits, does Andre Campbell get to tazer you in the endzone?

gophoenix
November 25th, 2009, 08:45 PM
I mean, Richmond beat a top 5 ranked school, lost by 1 to another top 5 ranked school, and beat an FCS. They are at home. Elon lost to the only two teams they played (I know, I know, Elon fans are tired of my stating a fact). As I mentioned, this game shouldn't be close, though Richmond has had a tendency of letting teams hang around.

You said we lost to every top 25 GPI team we played, now that Furman is top 25 GPI, I see you change your statement.

WrenFGun
November 25th, 2009, 08:53 PM
You said we lost to every top 25 GPI team we played, now that Furman is top 25 GPI, I see you change your statement.

Do you think Furman is a good team? UNH lost to UMass (22 in the GPI, I believe) and I certainly don't think it's a good loss. I mean, if you think Furman's a good win, that's fine, I don't really agree.

Elon is a playoff caliber team, right in line with teams like SDSU, UNH, EWU, Weber, etc., but I think we have a bit more to go on with each of those teams. By contrast, Richmond is upper echalon, IMO, with teams like 'Nova, W&M, Montana and App. State. Considering they're at home, I expect that to show through, but wouldn't be surprised if the score was closer (say, 10 or so) than 20+.

Skjellyfetti
November 25th, 2009, 09:03 PM
UNH lost to UMass (22 in the GPI, I believe) and I certainly don't think it's a good loss. I mean, if you think Furman's a good win, that's fine, I don't really agree.

Well, I don't really believe there is such thing as a "good loss"... so would probably explain why you don't think it was "good"

ElonPride
November 25th, 2009, 09:40 PM
Do you think Furman is a good team? UNH lost to UMass (22 in the GPI, I believe) and I certainly don't think it's a good loss. I mean, if you think Furman's a good win, that's fine, I don't really agree.

Elon is a playoff caliber team, right in line with teams like SDSU, UNH, EWU, Weber, etc., but I think we have a bit more to go on with each of those teams. By contrast, Richmond is upper echalon, IMO, with teams like 'Nova, W&M, Montana and App. State. Considering they're at home, I expect that to show through, but wouldn't be surprised if the score was closer (say, 10 or so) than 20+.

There WILL be a lot of Elon fans at this game. Considering the school is busing students and two of the largest alumni chapters are in the area (DC and Richmond), you can bet bottom dollar folks will make it out.

WrenGun, was it you that said going in the App St game, Elon hadn't played a top 50 team? Well, Elon played 5 and came out with 4 wins.

Elon Fightin' Christians
November 25th, 2009, 10:07 PM
Elon Football Radio Show will air tonight 7-8pm. hear the broadcast on 920 AM WPCM and www.elonphoenix.com.

http://www.elonphoenix.com/news.aspx?sid=fb&nid=6748

HenZoneNation
November 25th, 2009, 10:15 PM
In all fairness since Paul Johnson left and took Georgia Southern's football team with him...it hasn't been SoCo vs. CAA...it's Appy vs. the CAA. You get the same banter from the Big Sky as well...it isn't the BSC vs. CAA...it's Montana...Montana and Appy have dominated their conferences for so long that it makes it very hard to say that either SoCo or the BSC are strong because of the lack compitition. You don't see one CAA dominating like that because there are just to many good teams. Richmond barely made the playoffs last year and won the whole thing. JMU was suppose to be the baddest of the bad and didn't make it.

I don't know much about Elon but I can tell you this...Richmond has a bunch of winners on their team. They have that entangle that you just can't coach. Ward is a winner, he won't WOW you like AE does, but he runs an offense that keeps your O off the field and your D on the field and he flat out wins. Their defense is great. But it's that X-factor that makes some tough. We had them beat, it was over, and in the end they found a way to win, they found a way to beat us. And if you are basing your arguement on how well they did against William and Mary...wait til you see William and Mary...another great, great team.

I don't think Elon will beat Richmond...I think the only school in your conference that has a chance at the NC is Appy...The good news is...next year AE is gone along with 22 Seniors from Richmond so we won't be having this discussion.

PhoenixPhan06
November 25th, 2009, 10:20 PM
Looking forward to a good showing and feeling good about our chances in this one if we can win the turnover battle. No way we win this one if Riddle throws three INT's early like he did against ASU. I'm confident that our seniors will leave it all on the field and liek posters said before, I'm hoping for an injury free game.

Spiders05
November 25th, 2009, 10:31 PM
It made a huge difference and I think that showed that Richmond's staff was prepared for the unbelievable heat that that game was played in while ours was not.

Official box score shows the weather as 80 degrees and it had rained quite a bit earlier in the day. Wasn't that hot. We racked up nearly twice as many yards as you that game and spotted you 75 net penalty yards. I'd say there was more to us winning than your lack of conditioning.

I think their offense is just OK also. Ward is good, he's no AE (and other than taking off when the pocket breaks down he's no Scott Riddle).

That's funny, Ward had a far superior game to Riddle last year when these two teams faced each other.

I expect that this game will be close until Elon makes a mistake. We are a very opportunistic team and are very difficult to stop when we establish momentum. If it's a first half mistake, we win by multiple touchdowns unless we go into an offensive/defensive shell (see our W&M game from last year).

ur2k
November 25th, 2009, 10:34 PM
Last season UR had an AMAZING defensive line. Sidbury was a freak. While I haven't seen UR's d-line this season, I have a hard time believing this years d-line is as strong as lasts. And all but one of Elon's lineman faced Richmond last year, so they know what to expect.

Our d-line is different this year but still one of our strengths. The best players last year were the ends last year, this year - the best are the tackles. The Parker Brothers (Martin Parker and Parker Miles) are fantastic and will clog up the middle.

I like how the App guys are hitching a ride on the Elon wagon just because they don't want to have to leave the friendly confines of the Rock in the playoffs for once if UR wins and if they get past SCSU. xchinscratchx

Reign of Terrier
November 25th, 2009, 10:36 PM
C'mon, don't let the score fool you, Wofford really didn't have a chance in that game. 10 point JMU lead late in the fourth and Woffy gets a score with a minute left.

Enjoy your moral victory, but JMU was the better team by far...and, despite their wins, they were not close to being the best CAA team...any rational fan knew that before the regular season was over.

I don't want to spoil the thread, but you got that wrong. Wofford was down 3, with the ball, half way through the 4th. We went for it on 4th down and failed only slightly and many such as myself thought we got a bad spot (I was right parallel or perpendicular, or whatever you call it). Wofford had a chance in that game, and we were very-much even with JMU on that afternoon

Skjellyfetti
November 25th, 2009, 10:36 PM
In all fairness since Paul Johnson left and took Georgia Southern's football team with him...it hasn't been SoCo vs. CAA...it's Appy vs. the CAA. You get the same banter from the Big Sky as well...it isn't the BSC vs. CAA...it's Montana...Montana and Appy have dominated their conferences for so long that it makes it very hard to say that either SoCo or the BSC are strong because of the lack compitition. You don't see one CAA dominating like that because there are just to many good teams. Richmond barely made the playoffs last year and won the whole thing. JMU was suppose to be the baddest of the bad and didn't make it.

The argument that the SoCon sucks because App has won 5 consecutive championships is weak.

We won 3 National Titles (2005-2007)... does that mean FCS was weak? Was FCS a one team subdivision? Was there a lack of competition? Do you diminish those championships like you do our conference championships? xeyebrowx

Skjellyfetti
November 25th, 2009, 10:38 PM
I like how the App guys are hitching a ride on the Elon wagon just because they don't want to have to leave the friendly confines of the Rock in the playoffs for once if UR wins and if they get past SCSU. xchinscratchx

Can't speak for everyone... but, I'm hitching a ride on the Elon wagon because of all the trash talked about our conference. xnodx

PhoenixPhan06
November 25th, 2009, 10:47 PM
Lot of hate for the SoCon right now. Would be a shame if the two SoCon reps made more noise in the playoffs than other conferences with more reps, cough cough, since we're the inferior conference and all

ur2k
November 25th, 2009, 10:51 PM
Can we start a separate thread called "Waahhh, the SoCon gets no respect" and use this thread to maybe talk about the actual game on Saturday?

Elon fans - what should we know about your team other than what we already know - that Hudgins is a beast and Riddle is a good QB? What other potential game changers are there?

Skjellyfetti
November 25th, 2009, 10:58 PM
Can we start a separate thread called "Waahhh, the SoCon gets no respect" and use this thread to maybe talk about the actual game on Saturday?

Elon fans - what should we know about your team other than what we already know - that Hudgins is a beast and Riddle is a good QB? What other potential game changers are there?

Elon's other all-conference players:

David Harrison, OL
Chris Werden, OL
Andre Cambell, DL
Eric Ludwig, DL
Joshua Jones, LB
Karlos Sullivan, DB
Jamal Shuman, RB
Cameron McGlenn, DB
Nolan Ward, DB

Elon Fightin' Christians
November 25th, 2009, 11:07 PM
Elon's other all-conference players:

David Harrison, OL
Chris Werden, OL
Andre Cambell, DL
Eric Ludwig, DL
Joshua Jones, LB
Karlos Sullivan, DB
Jamal Shuman, RB
Cameron McGlenn, DB
Nolan Ward, DB

What's the latest on Shuman?? Is he still hurt or is he expected to play?

phoenixphanatic21
November 25th, 2009, 11:07 PM

I'd also say watch our 3-headed running back attack of Jamal Shuman, Brandon Newsome and AJ Harris, who have combined to rush for 1,564 yards and 12 TDs. Shuman is the speed back and our leading rusher (677 yards) and returns kickoffs, but he was injured in the App game and missed the game against Samford last week. I'd be surprised if he missed the game this week though. Newsome is the power back and leads the team in rushing TDs (7) and was our leading rushing from last year. He was injured early this year, which allowed Shuman to take over as the starting RB, but Newsome has come on strong the past few weeks. Harris is the 3rd down back and receiving threat (he's tied for 3rd on the team in receptions). He can also run the ball pretty well, so you have to watch out for that as well. Our O-line is good, but has given up a lot of sacks this year, so that'll be something to look for Saturday.

You know about the D-line, but the rest of the D is very strong as well (as you would expect from the number 2 D in the nation). Our LBs are led by sophomore and 1st team All-SoCon member Joshua Jones, who led the team in tackles with 88 (25 more than the next closest player). Dale Riley also made the All-Freshman team. Our DBs are loaded with seniors (1st team All-Socon Karlos Sullivan - who also returns punts, Team captains Walker White and Nolan Ward, as well as Cameron McGlenn are 3 interchangeable players at the safety positions). The only non-senior starter is Terrell Wilson, who is also pretty good.

Our weakness, if I had to pick one, would be the kicking game. Frteshman Adam Shreiner has done a great job coming in this year, kicking the game-winner at the end of the Furman game and being named to the All-Freshman team, but his longest kick this year is only 43 yards. Riddle also handles the punting duties and hasn't done horribly, but hasn't been great either, averaging 39.1 a kick.

To win, get pressure on Riddle and try to make someone other than Hudgins beat you, like others have said before. Try to keep everything in front of you and don't get beat deep. That's my scouting report on the team. Anything else you'd like to know?

phoenixphanatic21
November 25th, 2009, 11:08 PM

Like I said, I'd be shocked if he missed the game.

Skjellyfetti
November 25th, 2009, 11:11 PM

He had a concussion and a shoulder injury... I don't think anything major. He was probably held out last week for precautionary reasons... I would think he'll be ready to go this weekend.

PhoenixPhan06
November 25th, 2009, 11:12 PM
DE Andre Campbell leads the SoCon in tackles for loss. He can be a real pain for the OL and can cause headaches. Has a sweet mohawk too.

Experienced DB's will shut down the deep ball. These guys have played together for the better part of 4 years and are still hungry for more.

RB AJ Harris is one of our best all around athletes and is very effective as a runner and pass catcher. Look for him to get an increased role as Shuman is banged up.

gophoenix
November 25th, 2009, 11:24 PM

A top 25 win is good.

A loss is never good.

gophoenix
November 25th, 2009, 11:31 PM
This is all getting old.

What I am hearing for the most part is, Elon and Richmond people talking about the game.

Richmond people talking smack about Elon because App people are in talking about the SoCon.
CAA people talking smack with the SoCon.
The SoCon sucks because Elon and Wofford are the other good teams rather than Furman and GSU.
The CAA is cocky because they are tops right now.
The Big Sky sucks because Montana is the only elite team.
Elon has no business in the playoffs because we are 1-1 vs top 25.
UNH fans who seems to have nothing better to do than talk crap about Elon.

All I see are non-Elon and non-Richmond people making this into more than the game. And what sucks, the fans of the losing team are going to be the ones taking the smack after its over.

Phoenixrising
November 26th, 2009, 12:09 AM
Just to comment on Shuman, I have heard from pretty reliable sources that his shoulder is recovering nicely, but since he is still just a sophmore, I wouldn't expect Lembo to push him too hard and jeopardize the rest of his career... But the prognostications at this time seem to point to his appearance on the field this saturday!

That three headed running combo would be surely missed against UR's great d-line...

Bogus Megapardus
November 26th, 2009, 12:21 AM
Elon at Richmond

Elon +7
Richmond -7
O/U 41

The Sportsbook for all round one games is posted in the AGS Lounge.

ASU_MBA
November 26th, 2009, 12:28 AM
I would go ahead and put knee braces on Ward

PhoenixMan
November 26th, 2009, 12:29 AM
[QUOTE=

That's funny, Ward had a far superior game to Riddle last year when these two teams faced each other.

A superior GAME, yes he did. And, it goes without saying that Ward can take off and run better than Riddle. However, throwing the ball:

2009 Stats
QB Rating: Riddle 144.49 Ward 139.79
Yds. Passing: Riddle 3,036 Ward 2,054
TD Passes: Riddle 22 Ward 15
Picks: 7 for both players

Riddle also leads in every career category (9,754 yds. and 79 TD passes), and has a year left, while Ward is a senior. Of course, I realize that the response to this is that Riddle plays in the lowly SoCon. Stats don't matter so much, just making a point about QB comparison. The true story will be told Saturday. Can't wait, Richmond is a cool town!

HenZoneNation
November 26th, 2009, 12:38 AM
I don't think the SoCo sucks...I'm just saying that outside of Furman in 05 what other team besides Appy has made it past the second round in recent years? That doesn't translate well. And yes there is something to be said about a conference where you play the same teams every year and collectively you still can't beat them. Besides the UD game, the other NC contests that Appy won were very close and in fairness to us, though I think we still would have lost, our two best DE's, one who is in the NFL, and the other who might return to UD might end up in NFL (still in the air) got injured during the Navy game and killed our pass rush.

I could be wrong about Elon...but I doubt it.

Reign of Terrier
November 26th, 2009, 12:45 AM
I don't think the SoCo sucks...I'm just saying that outside of Furman in 05 what other team besides Appy has made it past the second round in recent years? That doesn't translate well. And yes there is something to be said about a conference where you play the same teams every year and collectively you still can't beat them. Besides the UD game, the other NC contests that Appy won were very close and in fairness to us, though I think we still would have lost, our two best DE's, one who is in the NFL, and the other who might return to UD might end up in NFL (still in the air) got injured during the Navy game and killed our pass rush.

I could be wrong about Elon...but I doubt it.

Wofford 2003, in 2007 Wofford also reached the second round but lost a tough one to Richmond.

gophoenix
November 26th, 2009, 12:50 AM
I would go ahead and put knee braces on Ward

Yes, because every other played we've faced has had that problem. Go talk your trash somewhere else.

ASU_MBA
November 26th, 2009, 01:00 AM
Yes, because every other played we've faced has had that problem. Go talk your trash somewhere else.

I tried to talk that trash at Kidd Brewer East, I mean Rhodes Stadium but all your fans left at halftime...

good luck against the spiders

SpidersSportsEditor
November 26th, 2009, 01:09 AM
The Ward/Riddle comparison I don't feel is overly relevant for this game. Riddle is a very good QB, Ward is a very good QB and a proven winner. I don't think QB play will make the difference in the game, though I do think Ward ability to scramble to pick up third downs and limit INTs is huge.

Key players for Richmond that you probably aren't thinking about:

Sophomore cornerback/kick returner Tremayne Graham. If I had to pick someone to cover Hudgins, it would be this kid. He's strong as an ox and the fastest player on our team. He has two INTs in limited action (he's been playing a lot more lately) and a kickoff return touchdown. He's off the radar, but he could definitely change the game.

Jared Decker, senior OL, longsnapper. This has been Richmond's achilles heel. If he can snap the ball within 5 feet of Ward, we'll be in good shape.

As for all the trash talk, CAA people just get offended when people pick our teams to lose. There's a lot of pride in the CAA, especially in the South, and we honestly think we are the best conference in the country (many think by a lot). So, when we say things like "Elon hasn't beaten anybody", it's relative to the schedule we have faced all year. It's not meant to be an insult to the SoCon, I just think its an advantage for Richmond because they have faced six teams that were in the top 25 at some point this year (JMU, Delaware, Nova, W&M, Maine and UMass) and Duke and come out with 6 wins.

elon77
November 26th, 2009, 01:34 AM

That they will show up, bring alot of fans with class, and hopefully knock the pi$$ out of you. We hope they win, but if they don't we will have enjoyed being part of this great process. Win or lose we will remember how bad they were 4 years ago and also know that they have come a long way in a short time. As fans we also feel that this is just the beginning and there are many more great years to come. See ya on Saturday.

gophoenix
November 26th, 2009, 05:03 AM
I tried to talk that trash at Kidd Brewer East, I mean Rhodes Stadium but all your fans left at halftime...

good luck against the spiders

Funny that 3/4 of the the stadium wore maroon. I can post the pictures to help those who live in denial.

Funny thing, Half the stadium cleared for the Western game last week. Meaning, more App fans left that game at half time that Elon fans left ours.

elon77
November 26th, 2009, 05:58 AM
I like how App fans get off on how many fans they bring. Guess what, it's a large, safety, State school that probably nobody lists as first on their list other than those with a solid B- average with a penchant for outdoor sports and lives within 4 hours of Boone puts at the top of their list. So go figure they bring a lot of fans to Elon, given that probably 1/4 of their students entire families are proud at the first family member to attend college. xlolx

After the moonshine wears off I can't wait to hear from them on this statement.xeekx

HenZoneNation
November 26th, 2009, 06:03 AM
I stand corrected...I forgot about Wofford...in 2003 they were our toughest playoff game...Good call...I guess you guys are right there with MVC and BSC conference. I would like to see some more regular season victories over Appy and some NC games from schools other than Appy...I guess after next year that will most likely happen.

Saint3333
November 26th, 2009, 06:22 AM
Funny that 3/4 of the the stadium wore maroon. I can post the pictures to help those who live in denial.

Funny thing, Half the stadium cleared for the Western game last week. Meaning, more App fans left that game at half time that Elon fans left ours.

14K were there and 6K+ are documented by many sources (including the Elon ticket office) to have been ASU fans. You don't like hearing ASU fans claim there were more ASU fans there, but you're ok with embellishing the split of fans towards Elon?

BarefootApp
November 26th, 2009, 06:28 AM
Now, you boys settle down and finish your supper. You're upsetting your Momma.
27-10.

gophoenix
November 26th, 2009, 06:40 AM
14K were there and 6K+ are documented by many sources (including the Elon ticket office) to have been ASU fans. You don't like hearing ASU fans claim there were more ASU fans there, but you're ok with embellishing the split of fans towards Elon?

I am saying, I have pictures of homecoming where there were 8000 Elon fans. And I have pictures of the Elon game with more Maroon areas than there were at homecoming.

If 14000 were there, and more Elon fans were there than homecoming, then 14000 - 6000 = 8000 Elon fans. That doesn't add up.

1600 sit on the away side. There were a bit over 300 on the home side that I counted (they weren't hard to pick out) and 1/4 of the grass was wearing black and standing to cheer when you guys scored.

It just doesn't add up

gophoenix
November 26th, 2009, 06:43 AM
The Ward/Riddle comparison I don't feel is overly relevant for this game. Riddle is a very good QB, Ward is a very good QB and a proven winner. I don't think QB play will make the difference in the game, though I do think Ward ability to scramble to pick up third downs and limit INTs is huge.

Key players for Richmond that you probably aren't thinking about:

Sophomore cornerback/kick returner Tremayne Graham. If I had to pick someone to cover Hudgins, it would be this kid. He's strong as an ox and the fastest player on our team. He has two INTs in limited action (he's been playing a lot more lately) and a kickoff return touchdown. He's off the radar, but he could definitely change the game.

Jared Decker, senior OL, longsnapper. This has been Richmond's achilles heel. If he can snap the ball within 5 feet of Ward, we'll be in good shape.

As for all the trash talk, CAA people just get offended when people pick our teams to lose. There's a lot of pride in the CAA, especially in the South, and we honestly think we are the best conference in the country (many think by a lot). So, when we say things like "Elon hasn't beaten anybody", it's relative to the schedule we have faced all year. It's not meant to be an insult to the SoCon, I just think its an advantage for Richmond because they have faced six teams that were in the top 25 at some point this year (JMU, Delaware, Nova, W&M, Maine and UMass) and Duke and come out with 6 wins.

By that logic, Wofford, Georgia Southern, App and Furman were all ranked in the top 25 at some point during the season too, and Chattanooga was darn close. And that's apparently weak.

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 26th, 2009, 07:00 AM
Thank God someone else outside the SoCon finally said it!

We get practice on this argument in our own league with an unmentioned school to the west... xsmiley_wix

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 26th, 2009, 07:06 AM
Dadgum GP, you must be like Bruce Lee. Fightin off App fans with one hand and keeping the Richmond fans at bay with the other. xsmiley_wix

xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

DTSpider
November 26th, 2009, 07:41 AM
I like how App fans get off on how many fans they bring. Guess what, it's a large, safety, State school that probably nobody lists as first on their list other than those with a solid B- average with a penchant for outdoor sports and lives within 4 hours of Boone puts at the top of their list. So go figure they bring a lot of fans to Elon, given that probably 1/4 of their students entire families are proud at the first family member to attend college. xlolx

Lots of kids at UR are the first in their family to attend college as well...and I'm glad they are proud of it. I'm sure the same thing happens at Elon.

Bottom line though...attendance isn't everything.

proasu89
November 26th, 2009, 08:28 AM
Dadgum GP, you must be like Bruce Lee. Fightin off App fans with one hand and keeping the Richmond fans at bay with the other. xsmiley_wix

Saint3333
November 26th, 2009, 08:41 AM

For a team that wants to keep this about Elon @ UR this isn't the way to go about it.

Safety school, wow, stay classy UR fans. Nope not arrogant at all. Might want to check the stats before you look too far down your nose.

And to the Elon fans that agree with this do the same. Ignorance must be bliss.

phillyAPP
November 26th, 2009, 09:03 AM

I dare you to post the picture of the APP Elon game....... That stadium was more than half APP !!

App fans left because we were going to WIN, not lose.

Now, get revenge by beating the Spiders and then winning at THE ROCK,if APP wins ofcourse, then you can be as proud and COCKY as you want.

Good luck

gophoenix
November 26th, 2009, 09:15 AM

LOL, it's a work of art eh, :D

Cincy App
November 26th, 2009, 09:28 AM
1/4 of the grass was wearing black

I knew we could count on you to falsify numbers. The grass area on the far end zone (away from the entrance) and the grass sides next to it on that end were virtually all ASU fans. Hence, ASU fans were in a healthy majority in Section "GG". My group was sitting on that hill. Elon had a good turnout but let's don't get carried away.

Good luck against Richmond this weekend.

SpidersSportsEditor
November 26th, 2009, 09:31 AM
Can we please stop talking about how many App fans were at the Elon game? It has nothing to do with this thread and it's taking me forever to get through this strand with all the BS in it.

Skjellyfetti
November 26th, 2009, 09:35 AM
Can we please stop talking about how many App fans were at the Elon game? It has nothing to do with this thread and it's taking me forever to get through this strand with all the BS in it.

Then stop bringing up the '08 Richmond game in our App - SC State thread. xarguex ;)

The weekend can't come soon enough. We're all just chomping at the bit ready for some quality football games. PLAYOFFS IN 3 DAYS!! :D

phoenix3
November 26th, 2009, 09:36 AM
You know I really enjoy this forum except when those with chips on their shoulders come on chesting up & trying to out douche each other. Please, take it to the smack board girls. This thread isn't about Armanti's knee or the attendance of the Elon App game. Yeesh!

MacThor
Isn't there already a thread for the App St.-Elon game?

SpidersSportsEditor
Then stop bringing up the '08 Richmond game in our App - SC State thread. xarguex ;)

The weekend can't come soon enough. We're all just chomping at the bit ready for some quality football games. PLAYOFFS IN 3 DAYS!! :D

Deal.

MarchingMountaineer
November 26th, 2009, 09:39 AM
To win, get pressure on Riddle and try to make someone other than Hudgins beat you, like others have said before. Try to keep everything in front of you and don't get beat deep. That's my scouting report on the team. Anything else you'd like to know?

Riddle made some mistakes in the ASU game by going to the pass when he shouldn't have, but he figured it out after the 6th pass and it was a great game after that. It's not like ASU stopped pressuring him after the 3rd interception. Elon's coaching staff made the right adjustments, too. I think Riddle has learned from the experience and might not make those mistakes. Richmond's offense isn't as good as ASU's (certainly with AE playing) and against Elon's defense, if they get behind, they won't be able to catch up. Unless Richmond's defensive front can get the pressure on their own, Hudgins will beat them deep. With the experience gained from their weak SoCon conference play, I expect Elon will win this one.

phillyAPP
November 26th, 2009, 09:41 AM

LMAO...... Until Elon wins a meaningful game that is all there is to talk about..... Spiders dont be the first in 20+ years for Elon.

Elon is a nice school with good academics and good looking girls. The old players like things the old way. Some opponents think that the head coach teaches poor football techniques. Some Elon fans think they are over the hump by winning some games that gotthem to the playoffs. The real season starts now.

Richmond has been there and done that so they know how to take care of business. This game is for Richmond to lose or Elon to take away.

Good luck to both teams, I hope APP wins and next weekend will be very exciting either way !!!

Spiderbite10
November 26th, 2009, 09:44 AM
My hope going into this game is that there will be a larger crowd than we have had historically for our first round home game. Maybe with the success of the team last year, more locals will come out. With it being Elon's first playoff game, they should also have a good showing.

I do know that there is more of a buzz around campus about the playoffs than last year and more students are planning on coming back to see the game.

phoenix3
November 26th, 2009, 09:47 AM
IMO, if you've been following Elon this year you've seen our defensive best on several occasions. I don't think you've seen our offensive best. We've shown sparks of it in several games but only for 1 to 2 quarters at most per game. I think it's going to take that best 3 to 4 quarters to sniff a win this Saturday. Do I think we can do it? I know we CAN, but will the key offensive players keep their heads in the game for 60 minutes? Like I said, I haven't seen it this year. We'll need this and NO turnovers!

phillyAPP
November 26th, 2009, 09:52 AM
My hope going into this game is that there will be a larger crowd than we have had historically for our first round home game. Maybe with the success of the team last year, more locals will come out. With it being Elon's first playoff game, they should also have a good showing.

I do know that there is more of a buzz around campus about the playoffs than last year and more students are planning on coming back to see the game.

Dua, there is more of a buzz on campus ??? The Spiders are NChamps and have a great team. I thought Richmond was a smart school ??? I had some very smart friends that went there.

This is the BEST football in ALL of college football.... its a playoff that determines a Champion, except when a ref makes a game changing call. .... Football get NO better than this week after week for 4 weeks if you can make it to Chattanooga !!

Spiderbite10
November 26th, 2009, 09:56 AM
Dua, there is more of a buzz on campus ??? The Spiders are NChamps and have a great team. I thought Richmond was a smart school ??? I had some very smart friends that went there.

This is the BEST football in ALL of college football.... its a playoff that determines a Champion, except when a ref makes a game changing call. .... Football get NO better than this week after week for 4 weeks if you can make it to Chattanooga !!

I completely agree...my point is that since a majority of the students live outside of VA...only the locals came for last year's first playoff game...this year I know many that are traveling from far to come back early. Our student support has been incredible this year and am looking forward to it continuing into the playoffs - even in the first round.

ronpayne
November 26th, 2009, 10:04 AM
I completely agree...my point is that since a majority of the students live outside of VA...only the locals came for last year's first playoff game...this year I know many that are traveling from far to come back early. Our student support has been incredible this year and am looking forward to it continuing into the playoffs - even in the first round.

Are they doing anything to support students coming in early? i.e. early access to dorms, etc.? I want to say that AppState started opening the dorms early a few years ago so students could come back early from break for the game, but somebody who's been a student more recently might have better intel on that.

SpidersSportsEditor
November 26th, 2009, 10:07 AM
Are they doing anything to support students coming in early? i.e. early access to dorms, etc.? I want to say that AppState started opening the dorms early a few years ago so students could come back early from break for the game, but somebody who's been a student more recently might have better intel on that.

They are reopening the dorms early. There still won't be a big student crowd there because so many kids are from New England and flew home, but I know a lot of locals (VA, MD, NC) are driving back for the game.

ElonAlum
November 26th, 2009, 10:47 AM
I dare you to post the picture of the APP Elon game....... That stadium was more than half APP !!

App fans left because we were going to WIN, not lose.

Now, get revenge by beating the Spiders and then winning at THE ROCK,if APP wins ofcourse, then you can be as proud and COCKY as you want.

Good luck

You must be color blind hill billy! I was AT THE GAME and i didnt see "that stadium was more than half APP"

xrotatehxxlolx

Bettina90
November 26th, 2009, 10:59 AM

Phoenixrising
November 26th, 2009, 12:03 PM

Zeus69
November 26th, 2009, 06:46 PM
After playing Elon last year (I was Liberty's left tackle in 2008) I have to say that their dline is very very good. They were the best we saw all season and are comparable to the 2006 Wake Forest team we played. Good luck to both teams and I would expect this to be a barn burner.

gophoenix
November 26th, 2009, 08:18 PM

I am saying there are no documented sources saying 6k+ App fans. All it is is a bunch of hearsay by some App fans. It's like, if it isn't about App dominating, it's about how to make App look like they dominated everything. It's like listening to UNC fans talk about basketball or Virginia Tech fans talk football concerning Wake Forest.

I like you saint, we have some great discussions. But there's no embellishing here. As soon as I post the pictures to photobucket and link them here, you guys aren't going to like the results they show.

Mountaineer#96
November 26th, 2009, 08:26 PM

I love your logic xeyebrowx..............

Bettina90
November 26th, 2009, 08:47 PM

Apparently, so do some others in the SoCon.

appirishmen
November 26th, 2009, 10:28 PM

you are a dumb a** my friend. App was my first choice with a 4.10 gpa. and half of the fam are doctors.... yea..... good luck Elon. following your logic, UR is just a small school that people who live in VA couldnt get into UVA or VT. what ever. good luck to both teams. and richmond, watch out, Elon likes to go for the knees and hurt ya.xnodx

Bettina90
November 26th, 2009, 10:57 PM
So did you nervously await the acceptance letter? Anyway, the point is, why do App fans bludgeon people on fan attendance when they are so large vs. the field?

And since you brought it up, Richmond is probably about on par with UVA for acceptance standards and above VPI. But most students come from states other than Virginia.

B&G
November 26th, 2009, 11:07 PM

Damn that is a long sentence.

LegalGaSouthernEagle
November 26th, 2009, 11:22 PM
Richmond will romp unless they turn the ball over more than twice.

elon77
November 27th, 2009, 05:49 AM
you are a dumb a** my friend. App was my first choice with a 4.10 gpa. and half of the fam are doctors.... yea..... good luck Elon. following your logic, UR is just a small school that people who live in VA couldnt get into UVA or VT. what ever. good luck to both teams. and richmond, watch out, Elon likes to go for the knees and hurt ya.xnodx

As a life time resident of the Commonwealth of Virginia I must say many of the students at VT could not get in the University of Richmond. UVA, well that's another story. About the kneesxbawlingxxbawlingxxbawlingxxbawlingxxbawlingx xbawlingxxbawlingxxbawlingxxbawlingxxbawlingxxbawl ingxxbawlingxxbawlingxxbawlingxxbawlingxxbawlingxx bawlingxxbawlingxxbawlingxxbawlingxxbawlingxxbawli ngxxbawlingxxbawlingx

Bettina90
November 27th, 2009, 09:59 AM
At any rate, the discussion was about the size of the school and corresponding fan base. Back to football. Almost under 24 hours.

MacThor
November 27th, 2009, 01:54 PM
UR holds playoff-experience edge over Elon (http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/sports/college/college_football/article/URFB26_20091125-221204/307980/)

Gosh, an article stating facts about an advantage Richmond has in this game, backed up by quotes from Jerry Moore.

What an arrogant, SoCon hating pr**k.

PhoenixMan
November 27th, 2009, 02:01 PM
UR holds playoff-experience edge over Elon (http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/sports/college/college_football/article/URFB26_20091125-221204/307980/)

Gosh, an article stating facts about an advantage Richmond has in this game, backed up by quotes from Jerry Moore.

What an arrogant, SoCon hating pr**k.

There is no question that UR has a distinct advantage in terms of playoff experience. UR is the defending national champion, a lot to be said of that as well. I think we will play well, and win or lose, go away proud of the effort. Hopefully, with a win!