November 23rd, 2009, 11:23 PM
Rankings:

Passing Offense -

SFA - 1

EWU - 4

Passing Defense -

SFA - 71

EWU - 116

Anybody want to set the over/under for this game? I'm taking the over, make sure those scoreboard bulbs are working.

GolfingGriz
November 23rd, 2009, 11:59 PM
It EWU can give up 575 yards passing and still win, well thats something special. I'll take Eastern in a track meet.
EWU 49
SFA 42

Silenoz
November 24th, 2009, 12:00 AM
The thought of playing EWU at home for the second time this season makes me very nervous... so I almost want to root for SFA here

(not looking ahead, just saying)

TexasTerror
November 24th, 2009, 12:02 AM
Just my opinion, but this is the game that SHOULD have been televised.

I know why App-SCST was televised, but it is hard to pass up the chance to see two offenses like this go at it...

Screamin_Eagle174
November 24th, 2009, 02:11 AM
Rankings:

Passing Offense -

SFA - 1

EWU - 4

Passing Defense -

SFA - 71

EWU - 116

Anybody want to set the over/under for this game? I'm taking the over, make sure those scoreboard bulbs are working.

SFA's passing offense is a little bit skewed with the 92-0 thumping of NAIA Texas College and the 8 passing TDs in that game. The bottom feeders they also played help their O look better too (GPI:Northwestern State - 107, Nicholls State - 89, WIU - 84, Texas College - NAIA).

Likewise, our Pass D is skewed in the other direction... we've played 5 teams that rank in the top 20 (NAU, Weber, SUU, Montana, and Portland State) in Passing O. A big part in why we gave so many yards to NAU was the elevation (7000 ft) and our offense scoring too quickly (we had 4 scoring drives that were 5 plays or less, not to mention the pick 6), which left our D on the field running around for 36 minutes with no air to breathe.

All that said, I think it will definitely still be a high scoring game, but nothing as ridiculous as last week.

I'll take EWU 45, SFA 31

Screamin_Eagle174
November 24th, 2009, 02:12 AM
The thought of playing EWU at home for the second time this season makes me very nervous... so I almost want to root for SFA here

(not looking ahead, just saying)

I REALLY hope we get to play the Griz again. Our team as no problem with playing in WA-Griz, and I'd love to go back a second time this year! :D

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2644/4127070473_5833402669_o.gif

gbhmt
November 24th, 2009, 02:15 AM
I REALLY hope we get to play the Griz again. Our team as no problem with playing in WA-Griz, and I'd love to go back a second time this year! :D

This is why I'm so conflicted! If the Griz wins, I'm much less worried with SFA than with EWU. But I want EWU to win because they're representing the BSC. Maybe since the seeded team gets "home field advantage" we could just move the second round game to Cheney. :D

lionsrking2
November 24th, 2009, 02:32 AM
I like the Lumberjacks in this one and I don't think it will be close...I don't think Eastern Washington fans realize how good SFA's defense really is.

Native
November 24th, 2009, 02:36 AM
I like the Lumberjacks in this one and I don't think it will be close...I don't think Eastern Washington fans realize how good SFA's defense really is.

xlolxxlolxxlolx Where can I place my bets?

Screamin_Eagle174
November 24th, 2009, 02:48 AM

You've obviously never seen our offense play... xlolx

Saint3333
November 24th, 2009, 02:56 AM
Playing good passing teams doesn't help but it is hard to defend the 116 ranking out of 118 total teams. Let's just say your passing defense is in the bottom 1/3.

bpcats
November 24th, 2009, 03:12 AM
Should be a fun game, but if MSU can put up 490 yds of offense on Eastern ,it will be interesting to see what SFA does.

GolfingGriz
November 24th, 2009, 04:25 AM
Playing good passing teams doesn't help but it is hard to defend the 116 ranking out of 118 total teams. Let's just say your passing defense is in the bottom 1/3.

Stats don't always tell the whole story. In 2004 Montana had the nations worst passing defense and then advanced to the chipper playing two pass heavy teams in UNH and Sam Houston. Sure enough got pushed around by JMU on the ground and lost, but stats can be deceiving especially in the big sky.

Native
November 24th, 2009, 04:33 AM
Stats don't always tell the whole story. In 2004 Montana had the nations worst passing defense and then advanced to the chipper playing two pass heavy teams in UNH and Sam Houston. Sure enough got pushed around by JMU on the ground and lost, but stats can be deceiving especially in the big sky.

Good point. I take the national stats with more than a grain of salt due to the fantastic disparities among conferences.

Jack99
November 24th, 2009, 04:36 AM
I'm not worried about SFA playing a pass happy team. I get worried against a run heavy team. This is a very green team when it comes to playoffs (last one was in 95). They play up and down to their opponents. That's why they will win it's a huge game they will play up to expectations

lionsrking2
November 24th, 2009, 04:37 AM
You've obviously never seen our offense play... xlolx

Yes I have...you obviously haven't seen SFA's front four get after the QB, and you haven't seen their secondary...not saying you won't move the ball, but they'll move it a lot easier on you guys than you will on the them.

GrizNzonecrazy
November 24th, 2009, 04:39 AM
I'm not worried about SFA playing a pass happy team. I get worried against a run heavy team. This is a very green team when it comes to playoffs (last one was in 95). They play up and down to their opponents. That's why they will win it's a huge game they will play up to expectations

and even then i'm not really sure that counts....that 95 semifinal game might have been the largest margin of victory ever for a game that late in the playoffs.....wow that was an ugly trip to MT for those boys.....

lionsrking2
November 24th, 2009, 04:40 AM
xlolxxlolxxlolx Where can I place my bets?

I'm ready to roll...let's go!!

eagle1
November 24th, 2009, 04:42 AM
I totally agree this will be a high scoring game and EWU will have to play better on defense than they did last week in Flagstaff. The injuries are really mounting for this team and I hope that they can hold up for a playoff run. The Eags have struggled on defense against the pass but they are consistantly winning the turnover battles. I think turnovers and special teams will be the difference in this game. Special teams have been a concern all year for the Eags and that scares the hell out of me in this one. Anyways, should be a good game and I like our chances. Go Eagles!!!

Blazerbird
November 24th, 2009, 04:49 AM
I'm not sure what to make of this game. I remember 2007 when the Eagles played at McNeese in the playoffs, though. McNeese entered undefeated and was supposed to be of a quality unlike any opponent the Eagles had seen. The game was over early with Eastern putting on a clinic. I'm not saying we'll see the same type of game Saturday, only that nobody really knows how these teams match up on the field.

Screamin_Eagle174
November 24th, 2009, 05:19 AM
I'm not sure what to make of this game. I remember 2007 when the Eagles played at McNeese in the playoffs, though. McNeese entered undefeated and was supposed to be of a quality unlike any opponent the Eagles had seen. The game was over early with Eastern putting on a clinic. I'm not saying we'll see the same type of game Saturday, only that nobody really knows how these teams match up on the field.

I think McNeese had an all-american or two out for that game with injuries. At least that's the excuse I've heard from most McNeese fans. xeyebrowx

GolfingGriz
November 24th, 2009, 05:21 AM
and even then i'm not really sure that counts....that 95 semifinal game might have been the largest margin of victory ever for a game that late in the playoffs.....wow that was an ugly trip to MT for those boys.....

Nope. Troy State took the honor a year later. Took a 7-0 lead early then it got real ugly. 70-7 when it was all said and done.

SFA 71
November 24th, 2009, 05:36 AM
I saw that 70 - 7 loss on TV. Most of the boys from Texas had seldom seen the temperature get down past freezing much less the misery they saw up there. When they showed a sideline shot and one of the mangers for the griz was an Eskimo, I knew it was going to be a long day. Some of you frost bitten Great White North denizens should come down & play in Texas in October when the temps are still warmer than the summer temperature is in Montana. Here on a Monday before Thanksgiving, the temperature is a balmy 65 at 5.30 pm & my grass is still growing. For the Washingtonians, this trip will be like a trip to Hawaii except they'll go home black and blue instead of tan.:o

crossfire07
November 24th, 2009, 05:50 AM
For the Washingtonians, this trip will be like a trip to Hawaii except they'll go home black and blue instead of tan.:o

I didn't see an SFA team that was capable of making anyone black and blue when McNeese played them. I often refer to their offense as to playing a kid on Madden. they couldn't put a drive together so they just threw it up and hoped for the best. they sure as hell couldn't run the ball that night.

Screamin_Eagle174
November 24th, 2009, 06:03 AM
I saw that 70 - 7 loss on TV. Most of the boys from Texas had seldom seen the temperature get down past freezing much less the misery they saw up there. When they showed a sideline shot and one of the mangers for the griz was an Eskimo, I knew it was going to be a long day. Some of you frost bitten Great White North denizens should come down & play in Texas in October when the temps are still warmer than the summer temperature is in Montana. Here on a Monday before Thanksgiving, the temperature is a balmy 65 at 5.30 pm & my grass is still growing. For the Washingtonians, this will be like a trip to Hawaii except they'll go home black and blue instead of tan.:o

Eastern Washington is a crazy enviornment, completely unlike Montana. We're sheltered from the coast by the Cascade mountains, and most of the Eastern portion of the state is the Columbia basin, which is around 500 feet in elevation, so it get's hotter than hell in the summertime and cold as balls in the winter. After our D just spent 36 minutes on the field in Flagstaff (7000ft), this game down in Texas at 300 ft will be a cakewalk comparatively. Not to mention SFA has no run game to speak of. Taiwan Jones is going to have a field day against your secondary, and Nichols is going to piss your LB's right the hell off when he completes almost every pass for a first down or just under.

EdubAlum
November 24th, 2009, 06:15 AM
i'm not making any predictions. I'm going to agree with blazerbird, two completely different conferences, you neve can tell. all i know is if EWU can allow 750 yards of total offense and still win like last week, that says something

crossfire07
November 24th, 2009, 06:21 AM
I think EWU's trip down south will be a good one. as long as they don't beat themselves with the refs it will be all good.

McNeese75
November 24th, 2009, 06:25 AM
I think McNeese had an all-american or two out for that game with injuries. At least that's the excuse I've heard from most McNeese fans. xeyebrowx

It was not an excuse and they would have made a difference. Good luck this week with regards to injuries but personally I hope the Jacks blow your doors off :D

McNeese75
November 24th, 2009, 06:29 AM
Eastern Washington is a crazy enviornment, completely unlike Montana. We're sheltered from the coast by the Cascade mountains, and most of the Eastern portion of the state is the Columbia basin, which is around 500 feet in elevation, so it get's hotter than hell in the summertime and cold as balls in the winter. After our D just spent 36 minutes on the field in Flagstaff (7000ft), this game down in Texas at 300 ft will be a cakewalk comparatively. Not to mention SFA has no run game to speak of. Taiwan Jones is going to have a field day against your secondary, and Nichols is going to piss your LB's right the hell off when he completes almost every pass for a first down or just under.

yep 50 passes for an average of 5 yards a completion or which is basically your running game, But wait!!! funny thing, that is pretty much what SFA does as well so come on down and start looking forward to the Quarters and see what happens xwhistlex

JohnStOnge
November 24th, 2009, 07:14 AM

No. That was not the "excuse." The "excuse" is the way McNeese hurt itself with penalties in that game. McNeese had 24 first downs to SFA's 13 and 427 yards of offense to SFA's 270. But the Cowboys had 10 penalties for 120 yards and they came at really bad times.

I understand why Southeastern Louisiana fans would be impressed with SFA. But I also understand why McNeese fans, like me, were not. There is absolutely no question that it was more a matter of McNeese losing to SFA than SFA beating McNeese, if you know what I mean.

I will say that their front four is pretty good and they can generate a pass rush without having to blitz. But, overall, their front four is not as good as Central Arkansas' is.

SFA 71
November 24th, 2009, 07:17 AM
I didn't see an SFA team that was capable of making anyone black and blue when McNeese played them. I often refer to their offense as to playing a kid on Madden. they couldn't put a drive together so they just threw it up and hoped for the best. they sure as hell couldn't run the ball that night.

Wait a minute, are we talking about the same SFA that BEAT the mc pokeyboys. You seem to forget that one point. Would you like some cheese to go with that WHINE?:o

SFA 71
November 24th, 2009, 07:24 AM
I will say that their front four is pretty good and they can generate a pass rush without having to blitz. But, overall, their front four is not as good as Central Arkansas' is.

Wait a minute, are we talking about the same SFA that BEAT UCA? You seem to forget that one point. Would you like some cheese to go with that WHINE?

By the way, are you bi-polar or something? Sometimes you come across as sane as an Episcopal priest then you come out with something that sounds like something a wickywaky priest would say?:p

JohnStOnge
November 24th, 2009, 07:27 AM
I'll say this about SFA: The Jacks are unpredictable. There's no way I would've predicted, for instance, that the team I saw against McNeese, the team I saw barely squeak by Nicholls State, or the team that got blown out by Texas State would dominate Southeastern Louisiana like it did. BTW they also struggled with winless Northwestern State. So part of it may be which SFA team you're going to get.

Personally, if I had to bet I'd bet Eastern Washington is going to humiliate the Lumberjacks. But we'll see.

JohnStOnge
November 24th, 2009, 07:29 AM
Wait a minute, are we talking about the same SFA that BEAT UCA?

I know SFA beat UCA. But, having watched both front fours play, I think UCA's is better overall. SFA's is better at generating a pass rush. UCA's is better at stopping the running game and is pretty good at generating a pass rush too.

SFA 71
November 24th, 2009, 07:30 AM
I'll say this about SFA: The Jacks are unpredictable. There's no way I would've predicted, for instance, that the team I saw against McNeese, the team I saw barely squeak by Nicholls State, or the team that got blown out by Texas State would dominate Southeastern Louisiana like it did. BTW they also struggled with winless Northwestern State. So part of it may be which SFA team you're going to get.

Personally, if I had to bet I'd bet Eastern Washington is going to humiliate the Lumberjacks. But we'll see.

The Episcopalians would be proud of you at this point.xthumbsupx

mistersykes
November 24th, 2009, 07:30 AM
I'd love to watch this game. I wish more of these games were on national tv. I feel like the Eagles will take this one, but SFA has a pretty potent offense...

09griz
November 24th, 2009, 07:31 AM
I'm gonna have to go with Eastern in this one. Matt Nichols is unstoppable.

txstatebobcat
November 24th, 2009, 07:35 AM
To me it all depends on SFA's attitude. If the Jacks are just happy to have made the playoffs then they will probably lay an egg against EWU. However, if the Jacks are hungry for more than just a playoff appearance, the EWU will get all they can handle and probably lose.

SFA 71
November 24th, 2009, 07:41 AM
I'm gonna have to go with Eastern in this one. Matt Nichols is unstoppable.

It looks like California, Weber and Montana found a way. One score against Cal, 2 against Weber and 4 or 5 against Montana says somebody knows how to at least slow him down. :p

McNeese75
November 24th, 2009, 07:49 AM
No. That was not the "excuse." The "excuse" is the way McNeese hurt itself with penalties in that game. McNeese had 24 first downs to SFA's 13 and 427 yards of offense to SFA's 270. But the Cowboys had 10 penalties for 120 yards and they came at really bad times.

I understand why Southeastern Louisiana fans would be impressed with SFA. But I also understand why McNeese fans, like me, were not. There is absolutely no question that it was more a matter of McNeese losing to SFA than SFA beating McNeese, if you know what I mean.

xrolleyesx You are responding to and Eagle fan's comment about the 2007 McNeese game xscanx

JohnStOnge
November 24th, 2009, 08:02 AM
xrolleyesx You are responding to and Eagle fan's comment about the 2007 McNeese game xscanx

Oh. Ok. In that case I've got more excuses than just a number of key players being out!

crossfire07
November 24th, 2009, 08:10 AM
Wait a minute, are we talking about the same SFA that BEAT the mc pokeyboys. You seem to forget that one point. Would you like some cheese to go with that WHINE?:o

unlike you, I was at that game and not at home watching it on a crappy internet feed but even on that it should have been a pretty clear picture that McNeese beat themselves. no, you save that whine and cheese for saturday night. you will need it for yourself.

crossfire07
November 24th, 2009, 08:17 AM

but you won't hear it from this one and that is all it is, an excuse. when you play off of a reciever 7 - 12 yards and he is guaranteed to make at least 4 yards every catch, every defensive player on the field can be all american and it won't make a damn bit of difference. a pass rush is also useless against a qb that takes a 3 step drop and the ball is gone. McNeese lost that game because of a horrible defensive scheme for that game, not from players being hurt. we had players hurt when we went to App State and won so wtf.....

SFA 71
November 24th, 2009, 09:00 AM
unlike you, I was at that game and not at home watching it on a crappy internet feed but even on that it should have been a pretty clear picture that McNeese beat themselves. no, you save that whine and cheese for saturday night. you will need it for yourself.

I couldn't see it that clearly on the old computer.... who won the game? I certainly appreciate them scoring those points for us & laying down before they scored. One way or the other the pokeyboys LOST. Good teams always find a way to win. That's the bottom line. You ought to be thinking about the next game not the last one you lost. :o

Dallas Demon
November 24th, 2009, 12:04 PM

SFA looked very strong against the Demons. 0-11 or whatever, we played a very good game (our freshman QB was zipping passes left and right), but if we had been playing like we did earlier in the season (for example against McNeese) SFA would have beaten us by 50. Not sure why the McNeese fans keep implying that SFA is not good, McNeese beat itself against SFA, etc., this does sound like sour grapes. SFA won outright, end of story.

After all, McNeese was very lucky to have barely beaten Henderson St., Southeastern, Texas St., and Central Arkansas - 3 of those 4 were comeback wins at the end. Throw in the comeback win at Appy. St., with a little bad luck this could have been a dismal season for the Cowboys. If I recall, SFA handled most of those teams easier than the Cowboys.

I will be rooting for both SFA and McNeese this weekend. Just don't like some of the posters minimizing SFA's accomplishments and their very talented team - it is a bit unfair. xnonox

Geaux25
November 24th, 2009, 12:46 PM
Whoever wins this one will have to score BUNCHES of points

lionsrking2
November 24th, 2009, 02:58 PM
SFA looked very strong against the Demons. 0-11 or whatever, we played a very good game (our freshman QB was zipping passes left and right), but if we had been playing like we did earlier in the season (for example against McNeese) SFA would have beaten us by 50. Not sure why the McNeese fans keep implying that SFA is not good, McNeese beat itself against SFA, etc., this does sound like sour grapes. SFA won outright, end of story.

After all, McNeese was very lucky to have barely beaten Henderson St., Southeastern, Texas St., and Central Arkansas - 3 of those 4 were comeback wins at the end. Throw in the comeback win at Appy. St., with a little bad luck this could have been a dismal season for the Cowboys. If I recall, SFA handled most of those teams easier than the Cowboys.

I will be rooting for both SFA and McNeese this weekend. Just don't like some of the posters minimizing SFA's accomplishments and their very talented team - it is a bit unfair. xnonox

Good post...as I've said before, I thought SFA was the best FCS team we've seen as far as total package...I don't doubt that they may have played their best game against us and maybe didn't play as well against others, but that aside, their personnel - especially defensively - is outstanding. Where they have an advantage over McNeese is they can line up in their base defense and don't have to "rob Peter to pay Paul" to get pressure on the QB or stop the run...against a team like Eastern Washington, that's a big advantage, as it was against us.

I was as skeptical of SFA as anyone prior to playing them, but I'm on their bandwagon now...people can dismiss them if they want, but they'll be a tough out for anybody.

McNeese75
November 24th, 2009, 09:02 PM
but you won't hear it from this one and that is all it is, an excuse. when you play off of a reciever 7 - 12 yards and he is guaranteed to make at least 4 yards every catch, every defensive player on the field can be all american and it won't make a damn bit of difference. a pass rush is also useless against a qb that takes a 3 step drop and the ball is gone. McNeese lost that game because of a horrible defensive scheme for that game, not from players being hurt. we had players hurt when we went to App State and won so wtf.....

xrolleyesx I really cannot believe you typed that or actually believe it. So what you are saying is that Bryon Smith, Jamie Leonard and Stephen Whitehead would not have influenced the game at all and it was all about soft DB play. xrotatehx

Get real

McNeese75
November 24th, 2009, 09:10 PM

A lot of what is being posted by McNeese fans here does sound like sour grapes xlolx (and it is of course because we lost). The bottom line is we were just not that impressed and felt like the loss was more attributable to bad play and stupid penalties on the Cowboys part but a W is a W and we certainly have some opponents this year that feel the same way.

I will be rooting for the Jacks this week and I think if they have an attitude on Saturday it is going to be a dogfight. We know Nichols is a good QB but Moses can hold his own. The key to the this game will be turnovers and whose defense bends and doesn't break. After giving up 10,000 yards (:D) last week to NAU, the Eagles better not blink on offense or they will get buried.

GoCowboys68
November 24th, 2009, 09:25 PM
"Geaux Jacks Geaux! Fight Jacks Fight! Win Jacks Win! S*F*A!!!"

Isn't that how it goes?? Drives me crazy when ya'll come to The Hole. :D

But seriously...I wish you the best Saturday and hope you come out with a win. Many Sour Grapes here for our loss against you because I feel we Cowboys did shoot ourselves in the foot. But....that being said...a win is a win and I am pulling for you all the way. Unless... we meet again and then I hope we kick your butts like I feel we should have the first time. :D

GEAUX JACKS!!!
GEAUX POKES!!!

Saint3333
November 24th, 2009, 09:46 PM
So over/under set at 75 sounds reasonable?

EdubAlum
November 24th, 2009, 10:28 PM
maybe even higher than 75.

crossfire07
November 25th, 2009, 01:47 AM
Throw in the comeback win at Appy. St., with a little bad luck this could have been a dismal season for the Cowboys. If I recall, SFA handled most of those teams easier than the Cowboys.

Qtr Time Scoring Play V-H
1st 06:31 MCN - Pendland, Todd 24 yd run (Lewis, Josh kick), 9-65 3:54 7 - 0
2nd 05:16 ASU - Devon Moore 12 yd run (Jason Vitaris kick), 7-53 2:45 7 - 7
02:21 MCN - Pendland, Todd 9 yd pass from Fourroux, Derri (Lewis, Josh kick), 6-56 2:39 14 - 7
3rd 11:51 ASU - Armanti Edwards 8 yd run (Jason Vitaris kick), 8-77 3:01 14 - 14
10:02 MCN - Pendland, Todd 31 yd pass from Fourroux, Derri (Lewis, Josh kick), 4-46 1:36 21 - 14
06:31 ASU - Armanti Edwards 20 yd run (Jason Vitaris kick), 8-76 3:23 21 - 21
03:19 MCN - Clark, Corday 5 yd pass from Fourroux, Derri (Lewis, Josh kick failed), 7-80 3:04 27 - 21
01:20 ASU - Matt Cline 20 yd run (Jason Vitaris kick), 5-78 1:53 27 - 28
4th 04:50 MCN - Fourroux, Derri 2 yd run (Pendland, Todd rush), 16-95 7:55 35 - 28
02:05 ASU - Cedric Baker 2 yd run (Jason Vitaris kick), 6-62 2:38 35 - 35
00:04 MCN - Lewis, Josh 18 yd field goal, 10-79 2:01 38 - 35
00:00 MCN - Butler, Kentrel safety 40 - 35

I don't think being down 1 point for less than half of a qtr meets the criteria for a "comeback win". besides, McNeese had the ball half of that qtr.That 1 point was also App's biggest lead of the game.Not bad for a team that was picked to lose by as much as 40 points on AGS.

SFA 71
November 25th, 2009, 03:49 AM
I don't think being down 1 point for less than half of a qtr meets the criteria for a "comeback win". besides, McNeese had the ball half of that qtr.That 1 point was also App's biggest lead of the game.Not bad for a team that was picked to lose by as much as 40 points on AGS.

It constantly amazes me how the pokeyboy crowd can turn every thread around to a discussion of mcneese. The title of this thread, I believe, is EWU vs. SFA & yet over half the posting on here are the school that the whole universe revolves about: "mcneedy to be talked about" :pxrotatehx

veinup
November 25th, 2009, 04:14 AM
Go Eags.

crossfire07
November 25th, 2009, 04:16 AM
maybe you ought to take the time to go back and see who brought McNeese into the thread then you will see it was not a pokeyboy who hijacked it.

SFA 71
November 25th, 2009, 05:02 AM
maybe you ought to take the time to go back and see who brought McNeese into the thread then you will see it was not a pokeyboy who hijacked it.

Doesn't matter who set the fire the point is 33 posts were about SFA or EWU or their game, 19 were about Mcneedy and their perceived woes and 6 were just general football/playoff posts. By my math, that's about 1/3 of the posts, mostly by pokeyboy fans, were off the subject of the thread.:o xthumbsdownx

I need to go to the "Mcneedy to be talked about" thread & see just how many SFA related posts are there.:o

SpeedkingATL
November 25th, 2009, 05:07 AM
Take the over in this one, no matter what it is.::D

SFA 71
November 25th, 2009, 05:11 AM
I need to go to the "Mcneedy to be talked about" thread & see just how many SFA related posts are there.:o

I checked. Of the 64 posts on that thread only two were about SFA. Both were by pokeyboy fans: McTailgator & Prominentwon. You guys just can't stop talking about us. Looks like Katrina isn't the only wind blowing through south La. :p

Screamin_Eagle174
November 25th, 2009, 05:27 AM
Interesting. Here are the Massey rankings for Offense and Defense for both teams:

EWU - Offense: 3rd, Defense: 29th
SFA - Offense: 30th Defense: 36th

http://www.masseyratings.com/rate.php?lg=cf

I Bleed Purple
November 25th, 2009, 05:28 AM
Does Massey know EWU gave up 750 yards of offense last week?

Screamin_Eagle174
November 25th, 2009, 05:31 AM

To the 9th ranked offense... yes, yes he does. xcoffeex

AxeEmJacks
November 25th, 2009, 05:44 AM

lionsrking, you and I can high five when this comes to fruition.

McNeese75
November 25th, 2009, 05:47 AM
I checked. Of the 64 posts on that thread only two were about SFA. Both were by pokeyboy fans: McTailgator & Prominentwon. You guys just can't stop talking about us. Looks like Katrina isn't the only wind blowing through south La. :p

Doesn't seem to be hurting your post count much does it?? xviolinx

Dallas Demon
November 25th, 2009, 06:07 AM
Qtr Time Scoring Play V-H
1st 06:31 MCN - Pendland, Todd 24 yd run (Lewis, Josh kick), 9-65 3:54 7 - 0
2nd 05:16 ASU - Devon Moore 12 yd run (Jason Vitaris kick), 7-53 2:45 7 - 7
02:21 MCN - Pendland, Todd 9 yd pass from Fourroux, Derri (Lewis, Josh kick), 6-56 2:39 14 - 7
3rd 11:51 ASU - Armanti Edwards 8 yd run (Jason Vitaris kick), 8-77 3:01 14 - 14
10:02 MCN - Pendland, Todd 31 yd pass from Fourroux, Derri (Lewis, Josh kick), 4-46 1:36 21 - 14
06:31 ASU - Armanti Edwards 20 yd run (Jason Vitaris kick), 8-76 3:23 21 - 21
03:19 MCN - Clark, Corday 5 yd pass from Fourroux, Derri (Lewis, Josh kick failed), 7-80 3:04 27 - 21
01:20 ASU - Matt Cline 20 yd run (Jason Vitaris kick), 5-78 1:53 27 - 28
4th 04:50 MCN - Fourroux, Derri 2 yd run (Pendland, Todd rush), 16-95 7:55 35 - 28
02:05 ASU - Cedric Baker 2 yd run (Jason Vitaris kick), 6-62 2:38 35 - 35
00:04 MCN - Lewis, Josh 18 yd field goal, 10-79 2:01 38 - 35
00:00 MCN - Butler, Kentrel safety 40 - 35

Whatever. xchinscratchx

I Bleed Purple
November 25th, 2009, 06:15 AM
To the 9th ranked offense... yes, yes he does. xcoffeex

Still rootin' for ya, though. Weber, EWU, Chattanooga.

JohnStOnge
November 25th, 2009, 06:32 AM
Not sure why the McNeese fans keep implying that SFA is not good, McNeese beat itself against SFA, etc., this does sound like sour grapes.

Sour grapes is when you say you don't want something when you really do. Check out the fable at http://www.pagebypagebooks.com/Aesop/Aesops_Fables/The_Fox_and_the_Grapes_p1.html .

We are not pretending we would rather not have won anyway. The reason McNeese fans, including me, have the impression they do is because after it's first two drives SFA couldn't move the football and McNeese moved the football up and down the field all night but kept shooting itself in the foot to take points of the board, stop drives, etc.

One particular sequence stands out. McNeese gets TD run of about 25 yards and it gets called back for holding. Next play McNeese completes a pass to about one yard short of the first down. But after the play McNeese gets called for dead ball personal foul so now it's back to second and about 16. Next play McNeese completes a pass down to about the SFA 5 but it gets called back for holding. That sort of thing.

SFA's offense could not move the ball against McNeese's defense...which isn't that good...and SFA's defense could not stop McNeese's offense without help from McNeese. Again: 24 first downs to 13, 427 total yards to 270, 37:28 time of possession to 22:32. McNeese completely dominated the game in terms of ability to move the football and stop the other team from doing so. That's why McNeese fans were not that impressed with SFA.

JohnStOnge
November 25th, 2009, 06:43 AM
Oh, and my prediction is that it's one and done for SFA. That's based on power ratings and the fact that SFA didn't beat any quality teams non conference. People got encouaraged when SFA beat Western Illinois by 10 but Western Illinois ended up 1-10 and 0-8 in MVC conference play. After scoring 35 against Sam Houston State and 30 against SFA, they went on to average scoring 10.3 points per game in MVC play with a maximum of 21 and no other point totals greater than 16. That ought to tell you something about Southland defenses.

I think Eastern Washington is going to absolutely shred SFA's defense. I think the only hope SFA has is to do well enough on offense to win a high scoring game and I doubt that's going to happen.

And, if you're wondering: Yes, I also picked New Hampshire to beat McNeese. Hope I'm wrong but if I use my head and not my heart that's how it looks.

Native
November 25th, 2009, 07:24 AM

In this week's Massey ratings, the SFA offense is ranked #25, and its defense #36, for an overall power rating of #25.

By comparison, the EWU offense is ranked #3 and its defense #29, for an overall power rating of #9.

xreadx

SFA 71
November 25th, 2009, 08:33 AM
Sour grapes is when you say you don't want something when you really do. Check out the fable at http://www.pagebypagebooks.com/Aesop/Aesops_Fables/The_Fox_and_the_Grapes_p1.html .

We are not pretending we would rather not have won anyway. ...

That's why McNeese fans were not that impressed with SFA.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sourgrapes

Main Entry: sour grapes
Function: noun plural
Etymology: from the fable ascribed to Aesop of the fox who after finding himself unable to reach some grapes he had desired disparaged them as sour
Date: 1760

: disparagement of something that has proven unattainable <his criticisms are just sour grapes>

I believe the Merriam definition hits a little closer to home: disparage SFA because you didn't beat them.:o

McNeese75
November 25th, 2009, 09:01 AM
Oh, and my prediction is that it's one and done for SFA. That's based on power ratings and the fact that SFA didn't beat any quality teams non conference. People got encouaraged when SFA beat Western Illinois by 10 but Western Illinois ended up 1-10 and 0-8 in MVC conference play. After scoring 35 against Sam Houston State and 30 against SFA, they went on to average scoring 10.3 points per game in MVC play with a maximum of 21 and no other point totals greater than 16. That ought to tell you something about Southland defenses.

I think Eastern Washington is going to absolutely shred SFA's defense. I think the only hope SFA has is to do well enough on offense to win a high scoring game and I doubt that's going to happen.

And, if you're wondering: Yes, I also picked New Hampshire to beat McNeese. Hope I'm wrong but if I use my head and not my heart that's how it looks.

xrolleyesx xlolx Welcome to our world Jack fans. We have John, and you have 71 :D

SFA 71
November 25th, 2009, 09:22 PM
xrolleyesx xlolx Welcome to our world Jack fans. We have John, and you have 71 :D

Yeah, I'd dislike someone who can remember something I'd like to forget

SFA 16 - Mcneedy 13 xthumbsupx

AxeEm
November 25th, 2009, 09:47 PM
John and cross fire I am going to take one out of your book for WIU. They actually lost there QB after our game for the season and Dre Gibbs only played 4 more contest. WIU had a pretty tough break, and I promise you they were very talents just fell in a year when the planets aligned Coach retired because of health reasons, injuries it happens. We gave up 2 special teams touchdowns as well that game so it wasn't like it was an offesive display. The Mcneese wasn't an offensive clinic by yall either, I mean lets be honest Todd was slowed after his injury the biggest total rusher had 60 yards net. You threw the ball well but just above 50%. You rushed the ball 44 times for 154 yards net which is about 2.8 yards per carry. I thought it was two pretty good teams playing hard smash mouth football and we just were ahead when time went out. We had some injuries to we had penalties and we made mistakes. It is what it is. We both are playing on saturday and you can keep being bitter saying one and done or how lucky we are or just get over it because everyone on this post is pretty sick of your negativity or at least I know a few that are. Good Luck and god bless.

SFA 71
November 25th, 2009, 09:51 PM
John and cross fire I am going to take one out of your book for WIU. They actually lost there QB after our game for the season and Dre Gibbs only played 4 more contest. WIU had a pretty tough break, and I promise you they were very talents just fell in a year when the planets aligned Coach retired because of health reasons, injuries it happens. We gave up 2 special teams touchdowns as well that game so it wasn't like it was an offesive display. The Mcneese wasn't an offensive clinic by yall either, I mean lets be honest Todd was slowed after his injury the biggest total rusher had 60 yards net. You threw the ball well but just above 50%. You rushed the ball 44 times for 154 yards net which is about 2.8 yards per carry. I thought it was two pretty good teams playing hard smash mouth football and we just were ahead when time went out. We had some injuries to we had penalties and we made mistakes. It is what it is. We both are playing on saturday and you can keep being bitter saying one and done or how lucky we are or just get over it because everyone on this post is pretty sick of your negativity or at least I know a few that are. Good Luck and god bless.

You got it right!xthumbsupx

McNeese72
November 25th, 2009, 09:52 PM
Time to bury the McNeese-SFA game and worry about the playoffs.

Both teams need to win games in the playoffs.

Good luck to the Jacks on Saturday.

Doc

msupokes1
November 25th, 2009, 10:08 PM
I agree. Who cares about a game that happened over a month ago. It is done. I sure hope our players aren't dwelling on the SFA game like some of our fans are. SFA will be my second favorite team in the playoffs this year and I hope we meet them again this year. Good luck to the Jacks and I hope everyone has a safe and enjoyable Thanksgiving. God bless.

GrizFoo
November 25th, 2009, 10:17 PM

And I don't think SFA fans realize how good EWU's QB, Nichols, is. His WR's aren't to bad either.

McNeese72
November 25th, 2009, 10:27 PM
And I don't think SFA fans realize how good EWU's QB, Nichols, is. His WR's aren't to bad either.

The McNeese fans definitely remember him. Hopefully, he will get to meet a couple of those very good SFA linebackers and defensive lineman up close and in person. But, he is a very good one.

http://www.geauxcowboys-eastside.org/images/ewu07gewuqb.jpg

Doc

txstatebobcat
November 25th, 2009, 10:31 PM

The SLC had a bunch of really great QB's this year. McNeese, TxST, SLU and SHSU all had QBs that have been starters for a number of years or in SHSU's case a very talented transfer.

sharkeycox
November 25th, 2009, 10:33 PM

Can't argue with this.xsmiley_wix

putter
November 25th, 2009, 10:34 PM
EWU has a very good O-Line and his (Nichols) throws are spot on. Watching the Montana game I was amazed at the throws he was making. The Griz corners had good coverage all day and Nichols would put it in a perfect place that only his receive could get the ball. I am not familiar with SFA but, if Eastern plays like they did against Montana, and not Weber (fumbled twice inside the 10) then it will be a shootout. Too bad they don't have Boyce..

(FWIW I am scared to death at the potential of UM/EWU 2, even if it is in Missoula)

Blazerbird
November 25th, 2009, 11:28 PM
Putter, if I were you I'd be less worried about Eastern if they do manage to beat the Jacks. A return trip to Missoula without Boyce will really limit the Eagles. Considering Eastern played a near perfect game offensively the last go around, they'd need more, not fewer weapons to actually win the game. That said, I'll be amazed if the SFA game is even close. I mean, SFA should be favored by 4 TDs. They're quicker, bigger, more experienced, and the crowd will really rattle the Eagles early. If I were Eastern's AD, I'd forfeit the game and save the travel expense.

Screamin_Eagle174
November 25th, 2009, 11:39 PM
Putter, if I were you I'd be less worried about Eastern if they do manage to beat the Jacks. A return trip to Missoula without Boyce will really limit the Eagles. Considering Eastern played a near perfect game offensively the last go around, they'd need more, not fewer weapons to actually win the game. That said, I'll be amazed if the SFA game is even close. I mean, SFA should be favored by 4 TDs. They're quicker, bigger, more experienced, and the crowd will really rattle the Eagles early. If I were Eastern's AD, I'd forfeit the game and save the travel expense.

xlolx

putter
November 25th, 2009, 11:58 PM

I wonder if there is still time...xsmiley_wix

clawman
November 26th, 2009, 12:17 AM

While losing Boyce was a hit I kind of feel it has balanced our attacks from other receivers. Nichols does a good job of checking off and is spreading throws to all receivers. Boyce had a lot of natural talent but our young receivers are very good as well. Not dissing Boyce in any way but in some ways we may be better.
Go Eags!!

AxeEm
November 26th, 2009, 12:22 AM
We know how good Nichols, and the other weapons they have. Nobody in the playoffs should be favored by 4 tds. I hope we play well and I hope its a great game. Mcneese is my favorite when we aren't playing everytime. EW is a great football team and although they have given up some yards they hit and cause turnovers. They are pretty tough when they play well and I don't expect anything less this Saturday.

SFA 71
November 26th, 2009, 12:30 AM
I wonder if there is still time...xsmiley_wix

I'm sure there is. I'll look in to it for you. Sure will save you a lot of trouble!
:p

FormerPokeCenter
November 26th, 2009, 12:46 AM
Doesn't matter who set the fire the point is 33 posts were about SFA or EWU or their game, 19 were about Mcneedy and their perceived woes and 6 were just general football/playoff posts. By my math, that's about 1/3 of the posts, mostly by pokeyboy fans, were off the subject of the thread.:o xthumbsdownx

After consulting my handy, dandy copy of the DSM-IV, I think it's obvious you're what's known as an "enabler," speaking of need. Congrats on finding your true calling ;)

F'N Hawks
November 26th, 2009, 02:03 AM
FYI, the spread is a Pickem (0) and the Over/Under is 58.

Thoughts from the experts?

Jack99
November 26th, 2009, 02:35 AM
From 5dimes.com

FCS Playoffs - Eastern Washington at Stephen F. Austin
Sat 11/28 * Eastern Washington *+1½ -120* * *Over 58 -120* **** ****
3:00PM (EST) Stephen F. Austin *-1½ -120* * *Under 58 -120

FCS Playoffs - New Hampshire at McNeese State
Sat 11/28 New Hampshire *-3 -120* * *Over 63 -120* **** ****
McNeese State *+3 -120* * *Under 63 -120* **** ****

BearIt
November 26th, 2009, 03:11 AM
[QUOTE=AxeEm;1477301] Nobody in the playoffs should be favored by 4 tds. /QUOTE]

xnonoxxnonoxxrulesx Villanova over Holy Cross, App State over SC State

GrizFanStuckInUtah
November 26th, 2009, 04:26 AM
From 5dimes.com

FCS Playoffs - Eastern Washington at Stephen F. Austin
Sat 11/28 * Eastern Washington *+1½ -120* * *Over 58 -120* **** ****
3:00PM (EST) Stephen F. Austin *-1½ -120* * *Under 58 -120

FCS Playoffs - New Hampshire at McNeese State
Sat 11/28 New Hampshire *-3 -120* * *Over 63 -120* **** ****
McNeese State *+3 -120* * *Under 63 -120* **** ****

I need an english explanation please. xconfusedxxpeacex

Jack99
November 26th, 2009, 04:37 AM
I need an english explanation please. xconfusedxxpeacex

Sfa is the favorite by 1.5 points
Unh is the favorite by 3 points

Jack99
November 26th, 2009, 04:39 AM
Or

http://www.footballbettingwebsite.com/football-betting-explained-how-odds-work.html

EdubAlum
November 26th, 2009, 06:39 AM
Unh is the favorite by 3 points

and they expect the scores of both teams to add up to 58 points, which personally, I'd pick the over.

Screamin_Eagle174
November 26th, 2009, 02:42 PM
Bump

WyomingGrizFan
November 27th, 2009, 03:10 AM

Sounds like what some chrome dome sitting in a cubicle all his life like some Dilbert would come up with.

Red & Black
November 27th, 2009, 06:59 PM
This one should be close. Keys to a win for EWU are to continue winning the TO battle and getting the occasional stop on defense. EWU's offense is clicking and should get their points.

Not gunna make a prediction on this one - I think it's too close to call.

AxeEmJacks
November 28th, 2009, 04:38 PM
lionsrking, you and I can high five when this comes to fruition.
Pretty sure I can go ahead and give you the high five

wapiti
November 28th, 2009, 04:42 PM
score???

lionsrking2
November 28th, 2009, 04:52 PM
Pretty sure I can go ahead and give you the high five

Not quite...looks like you guys are starting to give it away...long way from over up 11.

lionsrking2
November 28th, 2009, 04:57 PM
Not quite...looks like you guys are starting to give it away...long way from over up 11.

Jacks are choking

WyomingGrizFan
November 28th, 2009, 05:29 PM
Last I heard, SFA is up 44 - 33 over Eastern. Come on you turkeys!!!...I mean, Eagles.

El Gato
November 28th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Can someone pleAse post some score updates. My Sportstacular app on my iPhone is not the most up to date when it comes to FCS games. Been stuck on the last 3 min of the game for 5 min now.

lionsrking2
November 28th, 2009, 05:32 PM
Good job Lumberjacks!! You guys made it interesting in the end, but were the better team and represented the SLC well...get healed up and go get the Griz next weekend!!

msupokes1
November 28th, 2009, 05:34 PM
Congratulation SFA on the win. I will be a fan the rest of the way for you guys.

AxeEmJacks
November 28th, 2009, 06:09 PM
44-33, wapati. SFA, of course, won. I apologize for your crushing....

Grizaholic17
November 28th, 2009, 07:37 PM
Looks like the Griz will face a high scoring team. I think our defense is comparable to EWU...should be a high scoring one again!

Red & Black
November 28th, 2009, 08:42 PM
Congrats to SFA. We out-gained you both in the air and on the ground, committed few TO's and penalties, but still lost, and you guys were able to pull it out. Our defense just gave up too many big plays.

Good luck the rest of the way, although I think you're going to have your hands full next week.

McNeese75
November 28th, 2009, 10:49 PM
Good showing but the Jacks today and best of luck next week in Missoula xthumbsupx

SFA 71
November 28th, 2009, 11:45 PM

Would you like some crow to go with that whine, Bucko?

AxeEm
November 29th, 2009, 10:30 AM
EWU was a really good team but you outgained us by 32 yards. Yall were also 4-18 on third down. Also we turned the ball over in positive yardage. One from the 1 yard line. Game should have been 35-12 at half. Nichols has an absolute cannon and Jones is very shifty. SFA was more physical and it showed. Nichols was pressured alot. The 4th quater or defense was winded because our offense choked a little. I EWU was a really good team and I am excited about the Montana game.

eagle1
November 29th, 2009, 02:00 PM
Good game SFA! Good luck against the Griz. Just wasn't EWU's day yesterday. The injuries that EWU has sustained this season really showed yesterday. Sure would have been nice to have Boyce, Wilkins, Zach Johnson, and Hart just to name a few yesterday. With the injuries sustained during the game yesterday coupled with the season ending injuries would have made it hard for EWU to field a team against Montana. EWU had one healthy back yesterday and he played with a broken hand. Should be interesting next season and hopefully we can find a QB to replace Nichols. Go Eagles!!!

griz&beer
November 29th, 2009, 02:37 PM
Nice win SFA, see you up NORTH. Should be nice and warm in the 20's . Now that is football weather.