PDA

View Full Version : Mocs OC to be head coach at UTM

chattanoogamocs
December 21st, 2005, 01:51 AM
Times Free Press story for Wednesday is reporting that Chattanooga Offensive Coordinator Jason Simpson will be named the new head coach at UT-Martin.

I wish Jason nothing but the best at his first chance to be an HC...but this is a tough, tough loss for the Mocs coaching staff...recruiting, coaching, and retention-wise.

Mocs' Simpson to be UT-Martin head coach
By Wesley Rucker, Staff Writer
Wednesday, December 21, 2005

University of Tennessee at Chattanooga offensive coordinator Jason Simpson will be named the head football coach at UT-Martin today in a news conference, UTM athletic director Phil Dane said Tuesday night.

Dane said he would make no further comment until today's gathering at noon EST, and messages left on Simpson's cell phone Tuesday night were not returned.

"Jason's been a big asset for me personally over the past three years," UTC coach Rodney Allison said. "He's meant a lot to this program, and he's been a big part of turning this program around, and I wish him nothing but the best.

"It's good to know our success on offense is one of the main reasons he got this job."

Simpson helped develop UTC's strong passing game in 2004, a unit that ranked 13th nationally with 273 yards per game.

The Mocs switched to a two-back, run-oriented attack this season, and after a slow start they finished fourth in the Southern Conference and second among non-option-based offenses with 204.8 yards per game on the ground.

Simpson, a former quarterback and baseball shortstop at Mississippi State and Southern Mississippi, came to UTC shortly after Allison did three years ago. He had been the quarterbacks coach at Southwest Texas State, which is now Texas State.

He also spent time at Southwest Texas State as a receivers coach and recruiting coordinator. Before going there, he coached quarterbacks, receivers and special teams at Jacksonville State.

UTC already lost one offensive assistant this offseason when running backs coach Jeff Nixon left for a position at Division I-A Temple. That position has not been filled.

The UTM job came open last week when Matt Griffin left for more money at fellow Ohio Valley Conference school Murray State.

E-mail Wesley Rucker at [email protected]