PDA

View Full Version : Most Deserving #4 Seed

BlackNGold
November 21st, 2009, 10:34 PM
Well I think its a lock for the top 3 seeds are locked with : Nova, SIU, and Montana... but Who do you think is the most deserving of the #4 spot? Richmond or ASU

Skjellyfetti
November 21st, 2009, 10:34 PM
It's gotta be Richmond. Pretty much comes down to them beating Duke and us losing to ECU.

JohnStOnge
November 21st, 2009, 10:35 PM
Richmond. They won their FBS game and played in the toughest FCS conference. Plus they finished with a better overall record. I don't see this as a close call.

appfan2008
November 21st, 2009, 10:36 PM
I voted ASU ONLY bc I am homer Richmond should get it they deserve it BUT NCAA has done stranger things and attendance and national noteriaty (sp) go a long way...

BlackNGold
November 21st, 2009, 10:37 PM
Being a Homer i'm gonna say APP but looking at my reasoning being -- > "Attendance" .......... I am not sure that Attendance carries enough Weight? or does it?

siuham
November 21st, 2009, 10:38 PM
I think attendance considerations do not equal deserving.

GoBlueHens83
November 21st, 2009, 10:38 PM
I voted Richmond. ASU fans need not worry. the only way you go on the road is if you meet one of the seeded teams. But whatever happens, good luck to both teams.

Reign of Terrier
November 21st, 2009, 10:39 PM
I say App because they won their conference....

BlackNGold
November 21st, 2009, 10:40 PM
If only Deleware would had beatin Villanova

MacThor
November 21st, 2009, 10:42 PM
The top four teams in the 16-team bracket for the championship will be seeded based on merit.

Skjellyfetti
November 21st, 2009, 10:45 PM
The top four teams in the 16-team bracket for the championship will be seeded based on merit.

That's what CSN says... not the playoff committee.

This is all the committee says on it:
"The top four teams in the 16-team bracket for the championship will be seeded."
http://web1.ncaa.org/web_files/champ_handbooks/football/2009/09_1AA_Football.pdf

No criteria listed at all.

Richmond will still be the seed though... but, I'm just saying...

BlackNGold
November 21st, 2009, 10:45 PM

So you would be REALLY surprised if App took the seed?

tribe_pride
November 21st, 2009, 10:46 PM

surprised - yes
shocked - no

UNH Fanboi
November 21st, 2009, 10:56 PM
W-L record - Richmond
FBS win - Richmond
Better FCS wins - Richmond
Better loss - Richmond
SoS - Richmond
Computer ranking - Richmonf

The fact that the committee doesn't list any specific criteria for picking the top 4 teams doesn't matter. According to any rational criteria, which doesn't include "I'm an ASU fan and we have better attendance," Richmond is more deserving of the seed.

asknoquarter21
November 21st, 2009, 11:02 PM
Does everyone agree that these 2 will be playing each other in the 2nd round?

Of course that is assuming they both win next weekend. Honestly I just think the committee is just selecting the home team.

ASU has the conference championship and the Money on its side. The fact that we lost our first 2 games and not again is something to look at, but I don't think that is the deciding point.

UR was tested late and had a very tough schedule.

I am expecting to see UR as the #4 seed but I wouldn't be surprised to see ASU get it.

Regardless of the seeding ASU could very well play W&M, UR, Montana or SIU just to make it to Chatty.

I think their location might make a tough road for us this season, and unfortunately it will be on the road.

Skjellyfetti
November 21st, 2009, 11:03 PM
The fact that the committee doesn't list any specific criteria for picking the top 4 teams doesn't matter. According to any rational criteria, which doesn't include "I'm an ASU fan and we have better attendance," Richmond is more deserving of the seed.

I said Richmond should get it. xlolx

I was just pointing out that the handbook is vague as hell about how it selects seeds vs. the precise criteria it uses to select at large teams.

I do think they have used attendance/bid to decide seeds before... but, more in a tiebreaker situation which doesn't exist in this case.

DTSpider
November 21st, 2009, 11:27 PM
Defending National Champs go 10-1 during the regular season, including an FBS win, with the loss to a team that will get a seed. No chance that Richmond does not get a seed.

JohnStOnge
November 21st, 2009, 11:35 PM
surprised - yes
shocked - no

If it comes down to Richmond or Appalachian State getting the #4 seed and Appalachian State gets it I would be shocked. I don't think there's any way it's going to happen. You're talking about a 10-1 team with the one loss being by one point to another 10-1 team. That 10-1 team also has a win over a BCS league team. As good as Appalachian State has been, yes, I would be shocked to see the committee give them a seed over Richmond if it comes to that. There would just be no rational basis for it.

LacesOut
November 21st, 2009, 11:37 PM
Richmond.

It better be Richmond!!!!!!!!!

Tod
November 21st, 2009, 11:38 PM

So did Richmond.

Tod
November 21st, 2009, 11:43 PM
If only Deleware would had beatin Villanova

If only WCU had beaten ASU (it was a far closer game). xrolleyesx

CSN-info
November 21st, 2009, 11:45 PM
That's what CSN says... not the playoff committee.That's exactly what the committee says. You might want to listen to their very words. See the WAVES broadcasts here: http://iaawaves.libsyn.com/
The fact that the committee doesn't list any specific criteria for picking the top 4 teams doesn't matter.
What they say they do is most important.

Eight Legger
November 21st, 2009, 11:48 PM
The top 4 seeds are already set, but I think a better question could be who gets the 3rd seed?

The only seed I think is written in stone is Villanova #2. I don't see the committee wanting a UR-Villanova matchup in the title game for attendance reasons, so there's a decent chance UR could get a #3 seed.

I could see Southern getting the #1 or #4, likewise with Montana. If it came to that, maybe Montana gets the surprise #1 for attendance reasons again. It'll be interesting to see.

Skjellyfetti
November 21st, 2009, 11:50 PM
That's exactly what the committee says. You might want to listen to their very words. See the WAVES broadcasts here: http://iaawaves.libsyn.com/

You want to direct me to a specific show... or do you expect me to listen to a couple months worth of radio shows from two years ago?

jlcharles
November 22nd, 2009, 12:03 AM
It'll be a crime if Richmond doesn't get the last seed. An absolute crime and the committee should be locked up.

CSN-info
November 22nd, 2009, 12:04 AM
You want to direct me to a specific show... or do you expect me to listen to a couple months worth of radio shows from two years ago?

Check the ones featuring current Playoff Committee Chairman John McCutcheon if you think we are not speaking the truth. They are on the first page. You can go back several years and hear the other ones say the same thing. It isn't a secret. They take the best four teams (in their opinion) as seeds regardless of attendance, bid, etc. Then they fill out the rest of the bracket. THEN they look at the bids to determine the hosts. You can doubt that, many do, but that is what they say they do. xrulesx

Have a happy selection Sunday! We will be, no doubt, in for some surprises. xthumbsupx

Cincy App
November 22nd, 2009, 12:09 AM
The top 4 seeds are already set, but I think a better question could be who gets the 3rd seed?

The only seed I think is written in stone is Villanova #2. I don't see the committee wanting a UR-Villanova matchup in the title game for attendance reasons, so there's a decent chance UR could get a #3 seed.

I could see Southern getting the #1 or #4, likewise with Montana. If it came to that, maybe Montana gets the surprise #1 for attendance reasons again. It'll be interesting to see.

I don't consider Villanova to be a lock as the #2 seed. The top 3 teams are very close (UM, SIU, Nova). I do expect Montana to receive one of the top 2 seeds. When close to a tossup, then attendance has historically been a decider.

PS - UR should get the 4th seed. I feel ASU and Richmond have similar resumes except for UR's win over Duke while ASU lost to ECU. I don't feel that our resumes are close enough for the "attendance decider" to matter.

Native
November 22nd, 2009, 12:17 AM

xlolxxlolx So did seven other autobid teams! xlolxxlolx

GreatAppSt
November 22nd, 2009, 12:32 AM
It's gotta be Richmond. Pretty much comes down to them beating Duke and us losing to ECU. how about us winning 9 in a row and them losing 2 weeks ago? App isn't finishing second in thier 1/2 of a conference either. ;)

DX Man
November 22nd, 2009, 12:40 AM
Richmond is certainly deserving of the #4 seed, but I'm hoping my Apps get it.xpeacex

jlcharles
November 22nd, 2009, 12:40 AM
I don't consider Villanova to be a lock as the #2 seed. The top 3 teams are very close (UM, SIU, Nova). I do expect Montana to receive one of the top 2 seeds. When close to a tossup, then attendance has historically been a decider.

PS - UR should get the 4th seed. I feel ASU and Richmond have similar resumes except for UR's win over Duke while ASU lost to ECU. I don't feel that our resumes are close enough for the "attendance decider" to matter.

Richmond beat an FBS, plus, the 19, 18, 25, and 4 teams in the GPI.

App lost to an FBS and beat the number 8 in the GPI.

I'd say that Richmond has a much stronger case for the 4 seed.

MacThor
November 22nd, 2009, 06:36 AM

No.

tribe_pride
November 22nd, 2009, 06:56 AM
I think they should. 4 vs. 5 is the matchup that makes the most sense in a quarterfinal matchup. Assuming both win their first round matchup, outside of W&M, they will probably be the closest 2 in the next round and lots of people have W&M and ASU facing each other in the 1st round.

MacThor
November 22nd, 2009, 07:01 AM
I think they should. 4 vs. 5 is the matchup that makes the most sense in a quarterfinal matchup. Assuming both win their first round matchup, outside of W&M, they will probably be the closest 2 in the next round and lots of people have W&M and ASU facing each other in the 1st round.

Who says they're 4-5? If Villanova's 1, Richmond's more like 1a. 2 & 2a, etc.

tribe_pride
November 22nd, 2009, 07:07 AM
Who says they're 4-5? If Villanova's 1, Richmond's more like 1a. 2 & 2a, etc.

Good point. Can I change that to an if Richmond gets the 4 seed, then I think that makes the most sense? I don't think anyone disagrees that ASU is the 5th ranked team after the W&M loss yesterday. I assume that only moves the Tribe back to 6.

It doesn't change my geographic point though.

MacThor
November 22nd, 2009, 07:09 AM
I voted ASU ONLY bc I am homer Richmond should get it they deserve it BUT NCAA has done stranger things and attendance and national noteriaty (sp) go a long way...

Richmond 33, Appalachian St. 13 (Boone, N.C. 15,215)

I don't think anyone who was at yesterday's game would doubt that Richmond could put that many butts in the seats in a second round matchup.

I know, I know, Furman '05 - but ASU & WM travel better, and that year's UR team was much more of a "surprise" (they upset a seed) than this year's.

wr70beh
November 22nd, 2009, 07:09 AM

Surprised: yes
Shocked: yes
Think the NCAA is a traveshamockery? yes

There should be an investigation if this were to occur.

ASU_Fanatic
November 22nd, 2009, 07:31 AM
Richmond...I just don't want to get stuck with W&M.

19Duke97
November 22nd, 2009, 07:45 AM
Richmond. They earned it - stinks that ASU lost their two games without AE, but that's the breaks.

UncleSam
November 22nd, 2009, 07:49 AM
If the seed is based on 'merit' as the NCAA claims, it's a complete no brainer. Richmond gets the seed, tougher schedule, better record, better FCS loss and a FBS win. Not at all debatable.

Tribe4SF
November 22nd, 2009, 07:58 AM
This should not even be a question if the committee sticks to their stated priorities. It should also be clear from their priorities that SCSU will be paired with ASU in the first round. After the seeds are paired with opponents based on geography, and non-conference requirements, Boone and Orangeburg will still be there only 230 miles apart.

AppStateold299
November 22nd, 2009, 08:04 AM
No matter how much I want App to get the 4 seed. The fact of the matter is Richmond deserves the seed. Their only loss is to Villanova, which should be the 2 seed. Now if we wouldn't have sucked it up early in the season and our defense would have actually showed up to the McNeese game. Hell, I think we could have pulled ECU out of the hat if our defense would have shown up in the first half. What is done is done and now they are playing hard. This is the point when you want your team clicking, but Richmond definitely deserves the 4 seed. We will have to just prove them we are the champions on the field.

ASU_Fanatic
November 22nd, 2009, 08:06 AM
Richmond. They earned it - stinks that ASU lost their two games without AE, but that's the breaks.AE played against McNeese.

19Duke97
November 22nd, 2009, 08:07 AM
AE played against McNeese.

Ah sorry, thought he was out that game as well. But was he 100% in that game - certainly prob not in football shape.

JohnStOnge
November 22nd, 2009, 08:19 AM
Richmond. They earned it - stinks that ASU lost their two games without AE, but that's the breaks.

Only one of the losses came without Armanti Edwards. Not that that makes a difference to the seeding process.

Stonewall D
November 22nd, 2009, 08:23 AM
I think the team most deserving the #4 seed is Montana. Their strength of schedule is horrible. They played no FBS teams, they struggled to defeat lesser opponents. I also think they will get either William and Mary or New Hampshire in the first or second round.

JohnStOnge
November 22nd, 2009, 08:23 AM
Ah sorry, thought he was out that game as well. But was he 100% in that game - certainly prob not in football shape.

I think it's reasonable to think it being his first game back after the lawnmower attack had an effect but he was pretty darned effective; as was the Appalachian State offense. He had 308 total yards. That's somewhat below his season total yards average of 342. However, his passing efficiency was good (19 of 25 for 76% vs. 72% for the season). His rushing performance was also in line with his season averages (72 yards at 5.5 yards per carry vs. 64 yards per game at 5.7 yards per carry). Appalachian State did not turn the ball over and had 493 yards of offense.

My opinion is that Appalachian State's defensive performance was more of a factor than Edwards being in his first game back did. McNeese State 522 yards of offense. I think that McNeese controlling the football was a factor in Edwards not quite making his season total yards average. It's not like Appalachian State's offense didn't run up and down the field when it was in action. Basically it was a game where neither team could stop the other team's offense and McNeese had the last offensive possession.

Grabholdofyosef
November 22nd, 2009, 08:56 AM

Of course that is assuming they both win next weekend. Honestly I just think the committee is just selecting the home team.

ASU has the conference championship and the Money on its side. The fact that we lost our first 2 games and not again is something to look at, but I don't think that is the deciding point.

UR was tested late and had a very tough schedule.

I am expecting to see UR as the #4 seed but I wouldn't be surprised to see ASU get it.

Regardless of the seeding ASU could very well play W&M, UR, Montana or SIU just to make it to Chatty.

I think their location might make a tough road for us this season, and unfortunately it will be on the road.
Richmond is more deserving handsdown.

It would be a tough road, but I would love for ASU to beat W&M, UR, Montana or SIU to get to CHatty with two of those being on the road. That would help quiet some of the criticism of our title runs when all the games were at home. Also, i think it would arguably be one of the toughest set of opponents beaten to make the title game.

JMU-MRD-DAD
November 22nd, 2009, 10:08 AM
I do believe Richmond deserves the seed over ASU.

Has there ever been a #1 vs # 2 in the championship game?

yosef1969
November 22nd, 2009, 10:11 AM
So did Richmond.

No they didn't.

Doesn't matter, Richmond gets the Seed, deservedly so.

ASU gets home game most likely against W&M, Elon goes to SCSU, Holy Cross to (1)'Nova, EIU to (3)SIU, SDSU to (2)Montana, EWU to SFA, UNH to McNeese but interesting to see who goes to (4)Richmond, my guess is Weber State.

jlcharles
November 22nd, 2009, 10:20 AM
No they didn't.

Doesn't matter, Richmond gets the Seed, deservedly so.

ASU gets home game most likely against W&M, Elon goes to SCSU, Holy Cross to (1)'Nova, EIU to (3)SIU, SDSU to (2)Montana, EWU to SFA, UNH to McNeese but interesting to see who goes to (4)Richmond, my guess is Weber State.

Actually they did. Nova and Richmond are co-champs.

yosef1969
November 22nd, 2009, 11:23 AM
Actually they did. Nova and Richmond are co-champs.

yep, my bad.