PDA

View Full Version : Northern Colorado HC Job

Eaglegus2
December 20th, 2005, 06:17 PM
Has anyone heard who are the coaches being interviewed?

Just curious! :rolleyes:

Hansel
December 20th, 2005, 06:20 PM
The Denver Post this morning indicated there are 4 canidates, however, only 3 are known publicly.

Ernest Collins - DB Coach, Kansas
Tony Alfred - RB Coach, Iowa State
Bob Sitt - Head Coach, Colorado Mines

Eaglegus2
December 20th, 2005, 06:31 PM
The Denver Post this morning indicated there are 4 canidates, however, only 3 are known publicly.

Ernest Collins - DB Coach, Kansas
Tony Alfred - RB Coach, Iowa State
Bob Sitt - Head Coach, Colorado Mines

I have a hunch who the 4th one is. ;)

ncbears
December 20th, 2005, 06:37 PM
I have a hunch who the 4th one is. ;)

Let me guess, is it Sewak? :rolleyes:

Eaglegus2
December 20th, 2005, 06:48 PM
Let me guess, is it Sewak? :rolleyes:

Have you seen him there? xlolx

I was told today he was out in Colorado.

twentythreeOh4
December 20th, 2005, 11:20 PM
Have you seen him there? xlolx

I was told today he was out in Colorado.

That would be interesting...nobody in the Big Sky has an offense like that.

dbackjon
December 21st, 2005, 08:08 AM
That would be interesting...nobody in the Big Sky has an offense like that.

That would definately shake things up - and make the splash UNC needs right now with its sorry state of athletics.

NoCoDanny
December 21st, 2005, 08:48 AM
That would definately shake things up - and make the splash UNC needs right now with its sorry state of athletics.

Yes, but everyone is sorry compared to that powerhouse NAU.

ncbears
December 21st, 2005, 09:32 AM

We are in a sorry state of athletics? UNC is ranked #57 in the last GPI rankings and NAU is #58, and we aren't even fully funded. I guess if we are in a sorry state, what makes you?

DaBears
December 21st, 2005, 11:11 AM
We are in a sorry state of athletics? UNC is ranked #57 in the last GPI rankings and NAU is #58, and we aren't even fully funded. I guess if we are in a sorry state, what makes you?

I'm not trying to pick a fight with my UNC brethren here but, come on guys, you have to admit that our athletic program is struggling right now on quite a few levels. We do have a few bright spots now and then like our volleyball and women's basketball but our football team was horrendous this year (just like our Men's BB team is). Hell, we didn't even really dominate the D-II's like we should have. I have to agree with our NAU foe that our football team was "sorry" this year even though my first reaction to his post was to strike back at him but this post is about UNC. With that being said, I am sure that NAU does have its fair share of problems also.

As for the GSU coach: if he can't even get it done at GSU with its rich tradition, how can he possibly succeed at UNC? He took an elite GSU program that was tops in the nation and made it a mediocre playoff team.

WYOBISONMAN
December 21st, 2005, 11:14 AM
I'm not trying to pick a fight with my UNC brethren here but, come on guys, you have to admit that our athletic program is struggling right now on quite a few levels. We do have a few bright spots now and then like our volleyball and women's basketball but our football team was horrendous this year (just like our Men's BB team is). Hell, we didn't even really dominate the D-II's like we should have. I have to agree with our NAU foe that our football team was "sorry" this year even though my first reaction to his post was to strike back at him but this post is about UNC. With that being said, I am sure that NAU does have its fair share of problems also.

As for the GSU coach: if he can't even get it done at GSU with its rich tradition, how can he possibly succeed at UNC? He took an elite GSU program that was tops in the nation and made it a mediocre playoff team.

I know us NDSU fans irritate the heck out of you UNC fans, but that is a pretty realistic assessment of things......

DaBears
December 21st, 2005, 11:21 AM
I know us NDSU fans irritate the heck out of you UNC fans, but that is a pretty realistic assessment of things......

Yes, yes you do ;) . And I can't wait until we get our act together so I can start talking a little more smack to all you Bison, but until then i will hold off (for the most part).

Oh ya, our baseball team hasn't been half bad during this D-I transition.

ncbears
December 21st, 2005, 11:31 AM
The point is Da Bears is that an NAU fan was running smack about our football program when his is even worse and they are fully funded. I am well aware that our football team was bad last season and our basketball team is bad too. However, this is a transition, meaning we aren't really supposed to have that much success this early. If you live in Colorado, you are well aware that it took the University of Denver almost 10 years since moving up to d1 to have any success at basketball. We have two struggling programs (football and basketball) and the others have had mild success (Volleyball, womens b-ball, baseball). BTW, if our baseball team does get into the WAC, they will compete to win that conference right away. To say our athletics are in a sorry state is wrong I believe. It's realistic to say any transition school will struggle.

dbackjon
December 21st, 2005, 12:27 PM
No offense to UNC - but with your men's team getting national exposure for the losing streak (20+ games and counting - thank god for Savannah State), and a football team that lost to Southern Utah, yeah, it is in a sorry state. NAU is not setting the world on fire, either - but RPI in Basketball in the bottom 1% is embarrasing.

Look - I want UNC to have a strong athletic program - it helps the Big Sky as a whole to have all members competitive and at a high level.

December 21st, 2005, 02:21 PM
... As for the GSU coach: if he can't even get it done at GSU with its rich tradition, how can he possibly succeed at UNC? He took an elite GSU program that was tops in the nation and made it a mediocre playoff team.GaSU has not been tops in the nation since 2000. In 2001 they lost in the semis. Sewak began in 2002 where they lost in the semis. In 2003 they went 7-4 and missed the playoffs. In 2004 they lost in the opening round same as 2005. Three playoffs in four years for Sewak and he didn't succeed? Name a team in the Big Sky besides Montana that has done better? Seems mighty snooty DaBears...

ncbears
December 21st, 2005, 02:27 PM
I wouldn't mind Sewak at UNC. I don't know much about him but maybe GSU's problems don't have anything to do with him. He knows what d1 talent looks like and knows how to get it. I don't know if they have even interviewed him though.

ncbears
December 21st, 2005, 02:29 PM
No offense to UNC - but with your men's team getting national exposure for the losing streak (20+ games and counting - thank god for Savannah State), and a football team that lost to Southern Utah, yeah, it is in a sorry state. NAU is not setting the world on fire, either - but RPI in Basketball in the bottom 1% is embarrasing.

Look - I want UNC to have a strong athletic program - it helps the Big Sky as a whole to have all members competitive and at a high level.

And NAU didn't struggle when they transitioned? Look your talking a lot of smack for a team that finished worse then us (in football.) Once again I must bring up that fact that we aren't even fully funded unlike the mighty lumberjacks.

dbackjon
December 21st, 2005, 03:35 PM
And NAU didn't struggle when they transitioned? Look your talking a lot of smack for a team that finished worse then us (in football.) Once again I must bring up that fact that we aren't even fully funded unlike the mighty lumberjacks.

Actually, we were one of the Original I-AA teams, going 8-2 in 1978 (ironically, losing to NDSU and UNC), and 7-4 in 1979, after going 9-3 in 1977.

DaBears
December 21st, 2005, 05:53 PM
GaSU has not been tops in the nation since 2000. In 2001 they lost in the semis. Sewak began in 2002 where they lost in the semis. In 2003 they went 7-4 and missed the playoffs. In 2004 they lost in the opening round same as 2005. Three playoffs in four years for Sewak and he didn't succeed? Name a team in the Big Sky besides Montana that has done better? Seems mighty snooty DaBears...

If he is doing so great why is GSU getting rid of him? You think it is snooty of me to think that UNC, with less resources, will be a bigger challenge than coaching and recruiting at GSU?

Right now UNC is on its way up with facilities improvements coming and scholarships rising but I don't think I'm being snooty by saying we have a long road to hoe and it is going to take the perfect fit at head coach to get us there. It will be a more demanding job than most because he will have less assistant coaches than other I-AA's to help him out, he will get lower pay than a lot of other I-AA coaches and our facilities are not top notch yet.

ncbears
December 21st, 2005, 06:51 PM
to hoe and it is going to take the perfect fit at head coach to get us there. It will be a more demanding job than most because he will have less assistant coaches than other I-AA's to help him out, .

We will be adding more assistant coaches for this upcoming season, at least a couple more.

Eaglegus2
December 21st, 2005, 10:04 PM
In defense of Coach Sewak, his record over 4 years was 35 - 15.

What is the record of UNC over the last 4 years?

Coach Sewak was on a track of destruction after firing the legendary Erk Russel's son who was the DC. The old Erk crowd was after Sewak's job because it aleinated Erk from the program.

This is just a short synopsis of the problems facing Sewak. Coach would be an asset to UNC. He would bring exciting football and in time would bring a winning tradition. Don't let the problems at Georgia Southern cloud your judgement concerning him.

Jesus would have had a difficult tenure if he had followed Paul Johnson and had fired Rusty Russell.

You must understand that Rusty & Mike were appling for the HCing job at the same time. Coach Sewak was recommended by Paul Johnson.

More info on Mike Sewak:

1985 - Ga Southern /Running Backs Coach under Erk - I-AA National Champs
1986 - Ga Southern/Defensive Backs Coach under Erk - I-AA Champs
1997 - Ga Southern/OC under Paul Johnson I-AA Quarterfinalist, SoCon Champs
1998 - Ga Southern/OC under Paul Johnson I-AA Finalist, SoCon Champs
1999 - Ga Southern/OC under Paul Johnson I-AA Champs, SoCon Champs
2000 - Ga Southern/OC under Paul Johnson I-AA Champs, SoCon Champs
2001 - Ga Southern/OC under Paul Johnson I-AA Semifinalist, SoCon Champs
2002 - Ga Southern/Head Coach - I-AA Semifinalist, SoCon Champs
2003 - Ga Southern/Head Coach - No.1 Rushing Offense (I-AA)
2004 - Ga Southern/Head Coach - Playoffs, SoCon Champs
2005 - Ga Southern/Head Coach - Playoffs

Mike Sewak is a winner!

NoCoDanny
December 22nd, 2005, 08:41 AM
Here are the five canidates that have been interviewed:

* SCOTT DOWNING, assistant coach at the University of Nebraska

* EARNEST COLLINS, assistant coach at the University of Kansas

* BOB STITT, head coach at Colorado Mines

* MIKE SEWAK, former head coach at Georgia Southern

* TONY ALFORD, assistant coach at Iowa State University

December 22nd, 2005, 12:48 PM
If he is doing so great why is GSU getting rid of him? You think it is snooty of me to think that UNC, with less resources, will be a bigger challenge than coaching and recruiting at GSU?...I was referring to your quote:
"Originally Posted by DaBears
... As for the GSU coach: if he can't even get it done at GSU... He took an elite GSU program that was tops in the nation and made it a mediocre playoff team."