PDA

View Full Version : Lehigh beats Lafayette 27-21 in OT

The Historian
November 21st, 2009, 02:48 PM
Lafayette threw an interception on its first play in OT after Lehigh scored a TD in two plays but missed the Extra Point.

Fordham
November 21st, 2009, 03:03 PM
Wow! Congrats lehigh.

Coen coming back?

LEHIGH61
November 21st, 2009, 03:05 PM
I don't know about Coen, but Curley and Mo aren't. Wheres' s Larry

DFW HOYA
November 21st, 2009, 03:42 PM
Coen's back in 2010.

kdinva
November 21st, 2009, 03:43 PM
since Liberty lost (in the last 20 seconds), don't have to worry now about quality W's and L's.

Ivytalk
November 21st, 2009, 03:45 PM
Congrats, Mountain Hawks! I guess that puts the final nail in the coffin of the Leopard playoff hopes.

DFW HOYA
November 21st, 2009, 03:46 PM
PL now a one-bid league.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 21st, 2009, 05:06 PM
So glad i didn't decide to stay out at Penn State!! Awesome game and a well deserved win!

seenalot
November 21st, 2009, 05:09 PM
well deserved......maybe not so much

go watch a replay - xmas came early today

hawkineer
November 21st, 2009, 05:09 PM
Congrats, Mountain Hawks! I guess that puts the final nail in the coffin of the Leopard playoff hopes.

And prevents Laughingatit from sharing a P.L. Title - HOW SWEET IT IS!xlolxxlolxxlolx

It was reported on the post-game show that there was P.L. Trophy at Goodman to award Laughingatit should the scenario play out for them. It wasn't needed - THAT"S A SHAME!:D:D:D

Go...gate
November 21st, 2009, 05:42 PM
PL now a one-bid league.

Colgate might sneak in.....

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 21st, 2009, 05:44 PM
Colgate might sneak in.....

In all honesty i hope not. The league is not very good this year. Given Colgate's playoff history outside of '03 i think it would be hard to convince anyone that they deserve it. Colgate would lose by 28+ again this year.

Go...gate
November 21st, 2009, 05:45 PM
In all honesty i hope not. The league is not very good this year. Given Colgate's playoff history outside of '03 i think it would be hard to convince anyone that they deserve it. Colgate would lose by 28+ again this year.

Way to support the other squads in your league. Unbelievable!

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 21st, 2009, 05:48 PM
Way to support the other squads in your league. Unbelievable!

I think the league would be better off. Colgate wouldn't stand a chance. Sorry for being realistic. Colgate getting in and getting creamed would only hurt the league's already shaky image.

Go...gate
November 21st, 2009, 05:56 PM
I think the league would be better off. Colgate wouldn't stand a chance. Sorry for being realistic. Colgate getting in and getting creamed would only hurt the league's already shaky image.

You never know until you step on the field. You Lehigh guys should know something about that; you beat a much better team today.

BloomHusky'01
November 21st, 2009, 06:09 PM
I just got home from my first Lehigh-Lafayette game. Wow! What an experience. I go to a lot of college games each year, but this certainly was something special. I didn't have a routing interest, all I wanted was close and competitive game. I sure got that, and Overtime was a welcomed bonus. It was really an intense game on a beautiful day. There were some huge plays on both sides and each team had a TD drive of 97 yards! The officiating was not very good today, but it was an awesome game. It was great to be a part of it and to see just how big the rivalry is between these two outstanding schools. Congrats to Lehigh for a huge win and to Lafayette for a their great season and a fine performance today.

Pard4Life
November 21st, 2009, 06:20 PM

Not very good this year? We have two pro prospects, one up for the Peyton, three ranked, and the PL is not very good? Because mighty Lehigh had a rough year? ...sigh...

Good game though and exciting to watch.

DSUrocks07
November 21st, 2009, 06:24 PM
Highlights just shown on College Football Scoreboard on ESPN xthumbsupx

Good job Lehigh

Bogus Megapardus
November 21st, 2009, 06:41 PM

Lafayette lost. Lehigh won. Lehigh's response? It hopes Colgate doesn't get a bid. What's next, hoping Holy Cross will fail to get a home game and will lose? It never stops, does it Lehigh.

I am back, ready to congratulate the winner, and I have to read this read this. Unbelievable.

Anyhow - Colgate, I hope you get a bid and play a great game, win or lose. Holy Cross - go make some waves. Lehigh? You took advantage of some turnovers and you won the game. Good for you. It was a beautiful, football-weather kind of day and your guys played up tough.

Bogus Megapardus
November 21st, 2009, 06:43 PM
I just got home from my first Lehigh-Lafayette game. Wow! What an experience. I go to a lot of college games each year, but this certainly was something special. I didn't have a routing interest, all I wanted was close and competitive game. I sure got that, and Overtime was a welcomed bonus. It was really an intense game on a beautiful day. There were some huge plays on both sides and each team had a TD drive of 97 yards! The officiating was not very good today, but it was an awesome game. It was great to be a part of it and to see just how big the rivalry is between these two outstanding schools. Congrats to Lehigh for a huge win and to Lafayette for a their great season and a fine performance today.

Husky - come to the game next year in Easton. PM me and I'll make sure you get tickets and a place to park. I'm glad you enjoyed The Rivalry. You got your money's worth today, huh?

The Historian
November 21st, 2009, 06:45 PM
One guy, who is not even a Lehigh grad, makes this comment and it is all of Lehigh. That is a rather broad brush to paint with.

Pard4Life
November 21st, 2009, 06:48 PM
One guy, who is not even a Lehigh grad, makes this comment and it is all of Lehigh. That is a rather broad brush to paint with.

Haha you are right... I'm with the Lehigh guy though, no Colgate. Two league losses.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 21st, 2009, 09:42 PM
Lafayette lost. Lehigh won. Lehigh's response? It hopes Colgate doesn't get a bid. What's next, hoping Holy Cross will fail to get a home game and will lose? It never stops, does it Lehigh.

I am back, ready to congratulate the winner, and I have to read this read this. Unbelievable.

Anyhow - Colgate, I hope you get a bid and play a great game, win or lose. Holy Cross - go make some waves. Lehigh? You took advantage of some turnovers and you won the game. Good for you. It was a beautiful, football-weather kind of day and your guys played up tough.

Some of your fellow 'Pards are saying the same thing.

If the goal is to get the best 16 teams then i don't believe Colgate deserves to go. They beat no one of note in OOC, lost to the other two quality teams in the league. I believe there's others teams out there that could actually win a first game rather than try to for a moral victory. Colgate has shown no indication this year that they can beat a top 20 team. Sorry but it's the truth.

This will be a mute point because they're not going to get in imo.

ngineer
November 21st, 2009, 11:59 PM

You got to see a good one! Hope old dilapidated Goodman didn't inconvenience your experience.;)

ngineer
November 22nd, 2009, 12:00 AM

How is this "Lehigh's response"? Your as comment is as bad has his.xnonono2x

IMO, any opportunity to play in the post season is great. Any Given Saturday... just like today!

BloomHusky'01
November 23rd, 2009, 11:59 PM
Hope old dilapidated Goodman didn't inconvenience your experience.;)

Not at all. As an impartial visitor who has been to both campuses, I would have to say Lafayette has the better facilities (Fisher is FBS quality in my opinion) but I love Goodman Stadium. It definitely has its drawbacks (can't see the scoreboard, can't hear the PA and the field is 20 yards from the stands at mid-field) but its a great setting for college football. xthumbsupx

LUHawker
November 24th, 2009, 12:48 AM
Not at all. As an impartial visitor who has been to both campuses, I would have to say Lafayette has the better facilities (Fisher is FBS quality in my opinion) but I love Goodman Stadium. It definitely has its drawbacks (can't see the scoreboard, can't hear the PA and the field is 20 yards from the stands at mid-field) but its a great setting for college football. xthumbsupx

So two of your stated three drawbacks can be rectified, which I expect will happen in the near future. Recent upgrades to Goodman have included new drainage and new turf, which were more critical than the accoutrements.

Why LU hasn't fixed the PA system is a mystery to me, although that seems like an easy fix.

ngineer
November 24th, 2009, 12:53 AM
So two of your stated three drawbacks can be rectified, which I expect will happen in the near future. Recent upgrades to Goodman have included new drainage and new turf, which were more critical than the accoutrements.

Why LU hasn't fixed the PA system is a mystery to me, although that seems like an easy fix.

Having ol' Mushmouth McCoach doing the announcing doesn't help either. I don't know why they continue to employ him.xsmhx

Lehigh74
November 24th, 2009, 01:13 AM
Having ol' Mushmouth McCoach doing the announcing doesn't help either. I don't know why they continue to employ him.xsmhx

Some traditions die hard.

Pard4Life
November 24th, 2009, 02:16 AM

Ha! I agree... he needs to keep the microphone off his lips. Reinhard also complained that Goodman was the first stadium press box he has been in without wi fi access. Multi-Sport Field just upstaged Goodman! Ouch..

Lehigh Football Nation
November 24th, 2009, 02:20 AM
Ha! I agree... he needs to keep the microphone off his lips. Reinhard also complained that Goodman was the first stadium press box he has been in without wi fi access. Multi-Sport Field just upstaged Goodman! Ouch..

Lehigh's press box just got Wi-Fi this year, FYI. I didn't use the connection, but plenty of other Twitterers did.

Don't knock our PA announcer! xnonox He was the PA announcer for everything since I was an undergrad! Nice guy, too.

Pard4Life
November 24th, 2009, 02:23 AM
Lehigh's press box just got Wi-Fi this year, FYI. I didn't use the connection, but plenty of other Twitterers did.

Don't knock our PA announcer! xnonox He was the PA announcer for everything since I was an undergrad! Nice guy, too.

That may be so, but you can't hear what he is saying. But hey... ours burps during the game. He is also a good guy too.

Pards Rule
November 24th, 2009, 04:17 AM

Oh, I cant stand that guy! He is completely irritating! How long has he done it? It seems like all of the home LC games since Goodman opened 20 years ago in 1989.

ngineer
November 24th, 2009, 07:19 AM
That may be so, but you can't hear what he is saying. But hey... ours burps during the game. He is also a good guy too.

Bill McCoach is hell of a nice guy. But he does not enunciate well. I have had trouble understanding him whether it's at Goodman, Stabler or Grace Hall. OTOH, Jim Finnen's voice is much clearer..and distinctive. I met Jim this year while working the polls, as he walked in with a Leopard cap, and I was there with my Lehigh jacket. Had a nice repartee..He was there, I think, when I was recruited by Harry Gamble.

Ivytalk
November 24th, 2009, 07:47 AM
Bill McCoach is hell of a nice guy. But he does not enunciate well. I have had trouble understanding him whether it's at Goodman, Stabler or Grace Hall. OTOH, Jim Finnen's voice is much clearer..and distinctive. I met Jim this year while working the polls, as he walked in with a Leopard cap, and I was there with my Lehigh jacket. Had a nice repartee..He was there, I think, when I was recruited by Harry Gamble.

THE Harry Gamble? Former Penn coach?xeekx

ngineer
November 24th, 2009, 11:23 AM
THE Harry Gamble? Former Penn coach?xeekx

Yep. I had 'inside info' though that he was likely leaving for Penn, so wasn't too keen on going where there was going to be a shake up. PLus, I liked Dunlap alot, as well as the freshman coach who recruited me directly for Lehigh, Barry Fetterman.

Pards Rule
November 24th, 2009, 09:12 PM
Yeah, he went to Penn and then to the Eagles as a GM I think...

Pards Rule
November 24th, 2009, 09:14 PM

I'm sure he is a prince, Ngineer, out of the press box...Maybe I'm so grated by the singsong announcement "TOUCHDOWN.....LEHIGH" xbawlingx

Franks Tanks
November 24th, 2009, 09:25 PM
I'm sure he is a prince, Ngineer, out of the press box...Maybe I'm so grated by the singsong announcement "TOUCHDOWN.....LEHIGH" xbawlingx

He also cannot pronounce Bethlehem correctly-- it drives my wife, a Lehigh Valley native, crazy xlolx

Pards Rule
November 24th, 2009, 09:54 PM
I watched the replay on WFMZ that evening. I had to see the Padilla fumble again and the PI call on third down that gave them a first and goal at the one that they scored a TD on to tie at 7 before the half. WTF? All three (LU guy and two defenders) went vertical and the ball was a solid yard over his hands. And then after the 4th and one stop, it was hard to discern from where I was sitting but I thought the LU guy got stopped on that 3rd and 3 from the 27. No, first down but the WFMZ replay showed he was clearly stopped a half yard short. Even the announcers were saying if it was a challenge, Tavani would win. I HATE to see obvious miscalls impact the game. Question arises: do you feel the refs play to the home crowd?

Franks Tanks
November 24th, 2009, 09:57 PM
I watched the replay on WFMZ that evening. I had to see the Padilla fumble again and the PI call on third down that gave them a first and goal at the one that they scored a TD on to tie at 7 before the half. WTF? All three (LU guy and two defenders) went vertical and the ball was a solid yard over his hands. And then after the 4th and one stop, it was hard to discern from where I was sitting but I thought the LU guy got stopped on that 3rd and 3 from the 27. No, first down but the WFMZ replay showed he was clearly stopped a half yard short. Even the announcers were saying if it was a challenge, Tavani would win. I HATE to see obvious miscalls impact the game. Question arises: do you feel the refs play to the home crowd?

We had about a dozen plays where IF they went our way we win.. really tough way to end the season.

I ran into coach Loose after the game and he was extremely bent out of shape. The kids will use this as fuel all off-season.

Pards Rule
November 24th, 2009, 10:06 PM
We had about a dozen plays where IF they went our way we win.. really tough way to end the season.

I ran into coach Loose after the game and he was extremely bent out of shape. The kids will use this as fuel all off-season.

If I were Loose I would have lost it on that third and 3 cause it was right in front of him!!!

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 24th, 2009, 10:14 PM
If you saw the replay the one Lafayette TD to the corner was not a TD. The wr never had the ball. The only two bad calls where the the 3rd down spot and the TD. The other calls including the PI weren't terrible. There was no reason for the DB to do that and he didn't act like he was surprised by the flag.

Franks Tanks
November 24th, 2009, 10:15 PM
If you saw the replay the one Lafayette TD to the corner was not a TD. The wr never had the ball. The only two bad calls where the the 3rd down spot and the TD. The other calls including the PI wasn't horrible. There was no reason for the DB to do that and he didn't act like he was surprised by the flag.

You are forgetting the worst call of the day

Frank not kicking the FG xbangx

Lehigh Football Nation
November 24th, 2009, 10:26 PM
You are forgetting the worst call of the day

Frank not kicking the FG xbangx

I think you're right. When I brought it up to the Lehigh group in the post-game press conference, everyone at the podium nodded that that decision was a huge momentum swing in the game. I understand Tavani was playing percentages, but the way the game was going I think you needed to put points on the board there and put pressure on Lehigh to come from behind.

LUHawker
November 24th, 2009, 10:35 PM
If you saw the replay the one Lafayette TD to the corner was not a TD. The wr never had the ball. The only two bad calls where the the 3rd down spot and the TD. The other calls including the PI weren't terrible. There was no reason for the DB to do that and he didn't act like he was surprised by the flag.

Curley threw a perfect pass, but I don't think he caught it either - went right through his hands, but he was so low to the ground that it appeared that he caught it. There was definitely pass intereference on Lafayette, but the ball was a bit high. Difficult to say IF the receiver could have made a play. But based upon where the ref was, it was an easy call.

I can't talk to the 3rd down spot since I don't remember it.

Pards Rule
November 24th, 2009, 11:19 PM
I missed seeing that on the replay (bathroom break). Who was that Pard TD thrown to? I was in the other end zone (NOT the I-78 one where the Pard TD was thrown)..Agreed about Frank. Confoundingly, normally in past Lehigh games he would have got the 3 points?!?!

Franks Tanks
November 24th, 2009, 11:45 PM
I missed seeing that on the replay (bathroom break). Who was that Pard TD thrown to? Agreed about Frank. Confoundingly, normally in past Lehigh games he would have got the 3 points?!?!

I dont know if people recall this but in 05 (the big Hurt drive) Frank was setting up for a LONG FG. We ended up calling time out instead and Frank decided to go for it instead. The rest is history.

Much different situation, but perhaps Frank was remembering that play.

However when you have the better team no need to make such risky decisions, take the 3 do what you did all year--win with solid D and some great offensive plays.

Pards Rule
November 25th, 2009, 12:07 AM
I do recall that and seeing the FG team start to trot out and it was like over a 50 yarder. And then I thought there was a 5 yard delay of game penalty (maybe I'm wrong?) that killed any thought of the FG? Franks, help me out here...there was a lot going on in the last minute of the 05 game.

The Historian
November 25th, 2009, 12:30 AM
I believe Lembo called time out to freeze the kicker. During the TO, the assistant coaches convinced Tavani to go for it.

I agree that the third down spot was very favorable, but the official was not in good position to make the call. The TV camera had a better view. Lehigh made three big third down conversions on that drive.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 25th, 2009, 12:37 AM
The refs were ok. I think they blew one call each way and everything else was fair. Lafayette made a ton of mistakes. The penalty disparity is another example of that imo and not some sort of conspiracy.

Franks Tanks
November 25th, 2009, 12:45 AM
I believe Lembo called time out to freeze the kicker. During the TO, the assistant coaches convinced Tavani to go for it.

I agree that the third down spot was very favorable, but the official was not in good position to make the call. The TV camera had a better view. Lehigh made three big third down conversions on that drive.

That is probably accurate. I just remember the time out

Lehigh Football Nation
November 25th, 2009, 12:51 AM

Correct.

As to the officiating in the 145th, I thought the 1st Laf TD was dropped but the folks in the box with a better view and a replay thought it was legit. The pass interference on Laf was an easy call. There were a few bad calls against both teams, but overall no team, IMO, had an advantage.

ngineer
November 25th, 2009, 08:24 AM
He also cannot pronounce Bethlehem correctly-- it drives my wife, a Lehigh Valley native, crazy xlolx

Yes...we all know it's pronounced Bet'lem...xnodx