PDA

View Full Version : Could Elon be woofed a la Wofford 2002?

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 20th, 2009, 02:23 PM
Say that 3 CAA teams, McNeese State, Montana State, Eastern Washington, South Dakota State, and Northern Iowa do not win the autobid for their conferences but still all finish with at least 7 DI wins and 8 overall. Will Elon get woofed like Wofford did in 2002 even if Elon beats Samford and finishes 9-2? I have to think that's a possibility. The committee shows bias to teams that have already been to the playoffs at least once and if they will deny a Wofford team that beat playoff GSU and ASU teams in Statesboro and Boone you have to think they will leave Elon out at 9-2.

rcny46
November 20th, 2009, 02:41 PM
Say that 3 CAA teams, McNeese State, Montana State, Eastern Washington, South Dakota State, and Northern Iowa do not win the autobid for their conferences but still all finish with at least 7 DI wins and 8 overall. Will Elon get woofed like Wofford did in 2002 even if Elon beats Samford and finishes 9-2? I have to think that's a possibility. The committee shows bias to teams that have already been to the playoffs at least once and if they will deny a Wofford team that beat playoff GSU and ASU teams in Statesboro and Boone you have to think they will leave Elon out at 9-2.

I'm no expert,but I just can't believe a 9-2 Elon would be left out this year.

gophoenix
November 20th, 2009, 02:58 PM

A 9-2 Elon has been left out before after beating 2 playoffs teams and going 3-2 against the top 25. So yes, this is why I think we get left out again to mark the 10th aniversary of that.

ElonPride
November 20th, 2009, 03:02 PM
A 9-2 Elon has been left out before after beating 2 playoffs teams and going 3-2 against the top 25. So yes, this is why I think we get left out again to mark the 10th aniversary of that.

I have to agree with GP. Even if we win, I still think we'll need some major help.

Silenoz
November 20th, 2009, 03:06 PM

You weren't in the Southern. I highly doubt a 9-2 team from a power conference gets left out anytime soon, or ever (?)

Black Saturday
November 20th, 2009, 03:07 PM

From another source I heard Elon is banged up. They may have a close game or even possibly lose @ Samford. Could be 8-3.

mcveyrl
November 20th, 2009, 03:08 PM
I agree with the above. 9-2 from the SoCon is not getting left out.

8-3 will be a close call -- particularly finishing out the year with two straight losses.

Reign of Terrier
November 20th, 2009, 03:09 PM
a 9-2 Elon team should certainly get in the playoffs, if an 8-3 team elon didn't make the playoffs it wouldn't be on the same level as the '02 terriers IMO

OL FU
November 20th, 2009, 03:13 PM
The other difference with the 2002 wofford team is that Wofford would have been the fourth Socon team, I believe.

Poker Alan
November 20th, 2009, 03:16 PM
Hard to believe how far Elon's stature in the national scene has fallen after last weekend...

PhoenixSupreme
November 20th, 2009, 03:18 PM
Guess we need to have a convincing win this Saturday to make sure we're in. I actually expect a close game though rather than a convincing blowout...

PhoenixMan
November 20th, 2009, 03:19 PM

If Elon wins tomorrow, and finishes with their only losses to Wake Forest and App St, a D that was ranked #1 all year (which didn't show up against App unfortunately) and a huge points for and against advantage in the SoCon...you bet your bottom dollar they are in. Lose tomorrow......forget it, they are done.

PhoenixPhan06
November 20th, 2009, 03:24 PM
If Elon wins tomorrow, and finishes with their only losses to Wake Forest and App St, a D that was ranked #1 all year (which didn't show up against App unfortunately) and a huge points for and against advantage in the SoCon...you bet your bottom dollar they are in. Lose tomorrow......forget it, they are done.

I don't understand the "their/they" talk when speaking about Elon. From looking at your avitar, I would think you were an Elon alum/fan so why not use the "us/we" talk instead of "their/they"?

We will win tomorrow, banged up or not and we will make it to the playoffs as a 9-2 team. Just win baby, just win!!

PhoenixMan
November 20th, 2009, 03:24 PM
Hard to believe how far Elon's stature in the national scene has fallen after last weekend...

Yes, I didn't realize a 27-10 loss to App St. would be such an apparent embarassment. App St. is a very good team, a team that could win it all. Matter of fact, with a healthy AE, I think they are the favorite (or one of the top 2-3 favorites) So, why does that loss all of the sudden mean Elon sucks? Seems to be the sentiment. Folks need to look at what we did to other SoCon teams. Furman was the ONLY close win. The rest were lopsided victories.

PhoenixMan
November 20th, 2009, 03:27 PM
I don't understand the "their/they" talk when speaking about Elon. From looking at your avitar, I would think you were an Elon alum/fan so why not use the "us/we" talk instead of "their/they"?

We will win tomorrow, banged up or not and we will make it to the playoffs as a 9-2 team. Just win baby, just win!!

My bad. WE will kick Sammy's butt, and WE will be in the playoffs! BEAT SAMFORD!xthumbsupx

PhoenixPhan06
November 20th, 2009, 03:28 PM
My bad. WE will kick Sammy's butt, and WE will be in the playoffs! BEAT SAMFORD!xthumbsupx

There we go!!

GannonFan
November 20th, 2009, 03:36 PM
This thread is absolutely silly. There is absolutely zero chance, none. nada, zippo that a 9-2 Elon team will not make the playoffs. To even suggest it's a possibility is comical. Beat Samford, and Elon is in the playoffs. Now, if they lose, and every other team possible wins, well, that's a different story. But a 9-2 Elon team is a 100% chance of being in the playoffs.

To compare this to the 9-2 Elon team in 1999 that didn't make it is also absurd. That 9-2 Elon team played at least two DII teams that year, and wasn't in the SoCon. They didn't have an awful schedule then, but it wasn't a very good schedule nonetheless.

gophoenix
November 20th, 2009, 04:10 PM
This thread is absolutely silly. There is absolutely zero chance, none. nada, zippo that a 9-2 Elon team will not make the playoffs. To even suggest it's a possibility is comical. Beat Samford, and Elon is in the playoffs. Now, if they lose, and every other team possible wins, well, that's a different story. But a 9-2 Elon team is a 100% chance of being in the playoffs.

To compare this to the 9-2 Elon team in 1999 that didn't make it is also absurd. That 9-2 Elon team played at least two DII teams that year, and wasn't in the SoCon. They didn't have an awful schedule then, but it wasn't a very good schedule nonetheless.

Having 2 D-IIs on the schedule, which we did, and being 3-2 against the top 25, and 2-1 against playoffs teams is a much stronger resume that year than what we have this year. At least to me.

CamelCityAppFan
November 20th, 2009, 04:21 PM
I can't see that a 9-2 SoCon team, with 1 loss against the conf champ and the other against a BCS, gets left out. Getting left out is not even within the realm of possibility.

An 8-3 SoCon team, with 2 of those losses in the final 2 weeks of the season, probably needs help, but could still make it.

JMUNJ08
November 20th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Having 2 D-IIs on the schedule, which we did, and being 3-2 against the top 25, and 2-1 against playoffs teams is a much stronger resume that year than what we have this year. At least to me.

7 D1 wins - thats what the committee sees. While the wins are impressive, the "requirement" was just reached. Depends on the year, this year that would be IN as so few bubble teams have top 25/ playoff team wins.

WrenFGun
November 20th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Yes, I didn't realize a 27-10 loss to App St. would be such an apparent embarassment. App St. is a very good team, a team that could win it all. Matter of fact, with a healthy AE, I think they are the favorite (or one of the top 2-3 favorites) So, why does that loss all of the sudden mean Elon sucks? Seems to be the sentiment. Folks need to look at what we did to other SoCon teams. Furman was the ONLY close win. The rest were lopsided victories.

To be honest with you, all the loss to Appalachian State did was alert teams to actually look at their resume. I think Elon is a playoff team whether at 9-2 or at 8-3, though only because I think they'll get in over an equally weak BSC team as a third possibility.

I have nothing against Elon, but they've been overrated for much of the year. I'm not really sure why, either. Still, they're deserving of the playoffs and they have the talent to win in the playoffs. I doubt a third BSC team will get in over a second SoCon team.

PhoenixMan
November 20th, 2009, 06:18 PM
To be honest with you, all the loss to Appalachian State did was alert teams to actually look at their resume. I think Elon is a playoff team whether at 9-2 or at 8-3, though only because I think they'll get in over an equally weak BSC team as a third possibility.

I have nothing against Elon, but they've been overrated for much of the year. I'm not really sure why, either. Still, they're deserving of the playoffs and they have the talent to win in the playoffs. I doubt a third BSC team will get in over a second SoCon team.

Why do you say they have been overrated? Again, look at the margin of victory. I know there is no transverse in football, but as example. The Citadel played App to overtime in Boone. We crushed El Cid. I mean bad.....El Cid had one first down in the first half and I think 4 for the game. We racked up 47 points on them. UTC played App decent, we killed 'em. Woffy....we killed 'em. So, why overrated?

ElonPride
November 20th, 2009, 06:25 PM

This from the person that can't admit that skeds of Elon and UNH are similar in strength. .........and form the same poster that BASHED our OOC sked while his team played teams equally as weak.

As far as overrated, with the exception of APP and Furman, the team coasted through the schedule while App struggled with many of the same teams. Yes, Elon lost to a good App team, but geez give it a rest.

Elon Fightin' Christians
November 20th, 2009, 06:41 PM
I can't see us getting "Elon '99ed" again if we beat Samford.

The Moody1
November 20th, 2009, 06:46 PM
"The Citadel played App to overtime in Boone."

I could have sworn we were in Charleston. xconfusedx

CamelCityAppFan
November 20th, 2009, 06:55 PM
Why do you say they have been overrated? Again, look at the margin of victory. I know there is no transverse in football, but as example. The Citadel played App to overtime in Boone. We crushed El Cid. I mean bad.....El Cid had one first down in the first half and I think 4 for the game. We racked up 47 points on them. UTC played App decent, we killed 'em. Woffy....we killed 'em. So, why overrated?

Not to be nitpicky and all, but El Cid played App to overtime down in Chucktown, not in Boone.

Also, App just beat the absolute snot out of GaSo and Furman (sorry Iggles & Furples, but it's true). Much bigger beat down on those two than Elon put on them.

As you say, no transitive property in football. Otherwise, you have to accept that the 2007 Appalachian State Mountaineers were better than the 2007 Florida Gators.

And I know you don't want to go there.

4th and What?
November 20th, 2009, 07:19 PM
A 9-2 Elon has a better resume than UNI or EWU, they get in. An 8-3 Elon lost it's last two games of the season, has no top 25 win, and has a loss to an under 25. They would need a lot of help to get in at 8-3. AT that point could we start calling blowing your last few games at the end of the season to knock yourself out of the playoffs being Elonned?

T-Dog
November 20th, 2009, 07:34 PM
It's very possible for Elon to lose to Sammy. Elon got beat and beat up against App St. One of the people on the MMB said that there were more Elon players that needed recuperation on Monday than any other game this year. Judging by what I saw there live, Elon didn't respect App St like they should have and paid a heavy price.

An 8-3 Elon team with two straight losses raises alot of red flags again.

PhoenixMan
November 20th, 2009, 07:54 PM
It's very possible for Elon to lose to Sammy. Elon got beat and beat up against App St. One of the people on the MMB said that there were more Elon players that needed recuperation on Monday than any other game this year. Judging by what I saw there live, Elon didn't respect App St like they should have and paid a heavy price.

An 8-3 Elon team with two straight losses raises alot of red flags again.

My bad on El Cid at Boone. Yes, Elon is in for a tough game tomorrow. Samford is no pushover. If Elon loses they should NOT get in, and as much I would love to see us in the playoffs, not like that. So....let's just kick Sammy's butt and leave no question for the committee.

whoanellie
November 20th, 2009, 07:58 PM
"The Citadel played App to overtime in Boone."

I could have sworn we were in Charleston. xconfusedx

and so on and so on and scooby do be do be do be!!!
let's just get tomorrow over with and then see what else is speculation ?

ElonAlum
November 20th, 2009, 08:53 PM
ummmm I hate to make fun of my own school......but apparently according to them we have already beaten Samford! WOOOHOOOO.......oops!

Just check out the link http://www.elon.edu/e-web/athletics/fcsplayoffinfo.xhtml

hmmm.......well thats Elon for ya.

Either way.....GO ELON! Beat Sammy!

JohnStOnge
November 20th, 2009, 09:06 PM
Not at 9-2 playing in the Southern Conference. At 8-3 with two consecutive losses to end the season; maybe. Probably would depend on what else happens.

SoCon48
November 20th, 2009, 10:04 PM

The Citadel played App to overtime in Boone NOPE--Charleston.

AppState
November 20th, 2009, 10:55 PM
Don't forget that Wofford lost to VMI that year.

ThompsonThe
November 20th, 2009, 11:47 PM
I believe that the reason that Elon got rated so high was because of their fans going onto various message boards and talking up their team and doing transference comparisons. That is a hard thing to compare when you have different people playing for any particular team from week to week. Also QB to WR statistics were driven up by piling on scores on Davidson and Presbyterian. Also have the feeling that App State changed around their personnel, particularly on defense, a lot more than Elon getting their best combinations for certain situations.

Proud Griz Man
November 20th, 2009, 11:52 PM
Yes. They might get Wooooofed !xcoolx

gophoenix
November 21st, 2009, 01:18 AM
I believe that the reason that Elon got rated so high was because of their fans going onto various message boards and talking up their team and doing transference comparisons. That is a hard thing to compare when you have different people playing for any particular team from week to week. Also QB to WR statistics were driven up by piling on scores on Davidson and Presbyterian. Also have the feeling that App State changed around their personnel, particularly on defense, a lot more than Elon getting their best combinations for certain situations.

Do you ever get tired of being wrong?

Davidson and Presbyterian were no bigger blowouts than Western, The Citadel and UTTc were. You also apparently like to run your mouth rather than looking at stats and would realize most Elon starters didn't play past the middle of the third quarter against those same schools above. It's hard to pad numbers when starting personnel aren't playing full games.

And you honestly think a message board blitz is why we are ranked high??? Yeah that same message board blitz influenced those computer polls too.

4th and What?
November 21st, 2009, 07:10 AM
Elon wasn't rated too high. Based on their resume at the time, they played a lot of middle of the pack/above average teams and dominated them. They hadn't played any real strong teams yet. Their only loss at the time had been to FBS. You can make the same argument for Liberty or SC State. If they were playing in a top tier conference and playing top teams week in and week out, would they be ranked so high? We dunno until they do, but for now they are, just like Elon was.

PhoenixMan
November 21st, 2009, 07:54 AM

Yes, the fans did it. ALSO, neither Riddle or Hudgins played in the 4th quarter of either of the games mentioned.

ThompsonThe
November 21st, 2009, 10:38 AM
See? Just like I said....running your team up unnecessarily.
Big deal.....so they didn't play in the 4th quarter.
If you are playing a team that doesn't give any scholarships for football, why would they play in the 4th quarter.....probably got so tired of running up and down the field scoring that they needed a rest. Probably had to have oxygen by the 2nd quarter.
I live near Davidson and I bet eighty per cent of the people in the community do not even know that they have a football team.
You claim that Davidson and Presbyterian were no bigger blowouts than Western.....yet elon on lead Western by seven points in the 3d quarter. You need to go back and read about those games.
"Do You Ever Get Tired of Being Wrong" you say....yet it seems that it is you that is wrong.

phoenixphanatic21
November 21st, 2009, 10:49 AM
Yes, the fans did it. ALSO, neither Riddle or Hudgins played in the 4th quarter of either of the games mentioned.

Which fans? Do you mean Phoenixalltheway and LawDiddy? The same guy on different accounts who talked us up to no end? Besides, just because a fan base talks up a team doesn't mean they get ranked higher because of it. If voters are swayed that easily, there is a major problem there. At least that's how I look at it.

CID1990
November 21st, 2009, 10:52 AM
I don't understand the speculation here. If Elon wins today they get in. No question.

If they lose, then we can start to speculate.

ElonPride
November 21st, 2009, 11:02 AM
Also QB to WR statistics were driven up by piling on scores on Davidson and Presbyterian. .

Considering Hudgins/Riddle biggest game this season was at Furman, I guess you're right...xrolleyesx

ElonAlum
November 21st, 2009, 03:40 PM
Elon up 10-0 at halftime.

Lets go ELON!

ElonAlum
November 21st, 2009, 04:28 PM
24-0 in the 4th quarter!

whoanellie
November 21st, 2009, 04:43 PM
27-7 Phoenix phlyes pharr 27-7 3 min left