PDA

View Full Version : Will Andy Coen return as HC of Lehigh?

LUHawker
November 20th, 2009, 08:50 AM
Here is the posting from Lehigh's beat writer on his blog today. He doesn't really opine, but my guess is that Andy will be given one more year. There is no commentary about the OC, but I think if Andy stays, then we should expect a new OC.

http://blogs.mcall.com/groller/

What is truly amazing are Andy Coens comments that he was too optimistic at the beginning of the season and he didn't "see how young the team was" and didn't appreciate the "holes" that needed to be filled.

He has also made comments elsewhere that he really likes where the team is now, but the problem is that it is 10 games too late.

What say the Lehigh faithful on Andy's return prospects?

Bogus Megapardus
November 20th, 2009, 08:52 AM
I don't know what the Lehigh faithful say, but the Lafayette faithful can only hope and pray.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 20th, 2009, 10:14 AM
I really don't know. Since nothing has been opined publicly about it one way or another by anyone in the athletic department, I have to believe that this game is a job renewal application for Andy.

A win for sure would give hope for next season. However, a win would also say, "Weren't we here in this exact same spot last year - a losing record, a win against Lafayette, and hope for the future?" However, lost in this too is that it would be Lehigh's first win against a nationally-ranked opponent in, I think, three years?

Conversely, a bad loss would probably make pulling the plug inevitable. The difference between a 3-8 record with a bad loss to the Leopards and a 4-7 record with two straight against the Evil Empire is night and day. Win, and he'll have one more chance; lose, and he's out. That's my guess.

RichH2
November 20th, 2009, 11:17 AM
I recall posting aroundmidseason with surprise at how young team had gotten compared to 2 deep coming out of spring. Andy is HC he s/n/b surprised. as fans we got used to significant talent gap with PL. Not there anymore. Coaching mistakes with that gap not deadly. Now they are. Can he be a good HC. Dont know but he is not yet . Another year with his team. He may get it . He brought in great kids who put out for him but if he comes back the staff must be improved on O to actually coach these kids not just recruit them. I amnot optimistic.

Franks Tanks
November 20th, 2009, 11:19 AM
Andy can stay as long as he wants

Pard4Life
November 20th, 2009, 11:27 AM
Based on his performance post-Yale, regardless of tomorrow, he will be back. He has injuries, youth, and close games on his side.

Pard94
November 20th, 2009, 11:46 AM
That's great. He likes where his team is now...just before the season ends and he graduates a fair number of them. Well done coach. How can a coach in his fourth year not fully understand who is team is? Seems to me that would be the first bullet point in his job description. Unacceptable.

I am confident Lehigh will ratain his services for at least another year. Lehigh coaches need to worry when they are getting 8 or 9 wins a year. That's when the Lehigh faithful can't seem to understand why they aren't undefeated and they break out the old rail on which they will run the coach out of town. God bless them.

LUHawker
November 20th, 2009, 12:07 PM
I am confident Lehigh will ratain his services for at least another year. Lehigh coaches need to worry when they are getting 8 or 9 wins a year. That's when the Lehigh faithful can't seem to understand why they aren't undefeated and they break out the old rail on which they will run the coach out of town. God bless them.

"Old rail" Pleease. Even if you believe that Lembo was "encouraged" to leave, one time does not make it "old rail"

Cut the crap. Most of us Lehigh posters are unimpressed (to say the least) with Coen and almost all of our PL brethren posters also share that sentiment. So if Coen isn't invited back (although if I had to bet, I think the odds are we see him next year as well) this will have nothing to do Lehigh faithful "running" him out of town.

As for Lembo, he clearly is an above average head coach and has done wonders with Elon. But as some of your LC brethren have posted before, many think that Pete's personality and coaching style wears on players and that by the end of the season, they are "cooked". His Lehigh teams showed some softness towards the end of the season, and thus far, Elon has crashed and burned at the end of the past couple of seasons. If they lose to Samford tomorrow, that will play out again, but I think he'll get over the hump this year.

Franks Tanks
November 20th, 2009, 12:10 PM
I am willing to chair the "Keep Coen" commitee if nobody from Lehigh will step up.

DFW HOYA
November 20th, 2009, 12:26 PM
I think Coen stays if for no other reason that...

1. Fordham is ineligible in 2010
2. Holy Cross loses Randolph
3. Georgetown and Bucknell , well...

Lehigh should realistically finish no lower than third next year and returns enough to make a serious run amidst the depleting PL talent pool.

Pard94
November 20th, 2009, 02:28 PM
"Old rail" Pleease. Even if you believe that Lembo was "encouraged" to leave, one time does not make it "old rail"

Cut the crap. Most of us Lehigh posters are unimpressed (to say the least) with Coen and almost all of our PL brethren posters also share that sentiment. So if Coen isn't invited back (although if I had to bet, I think the odds are we see him next year as well) this will have nothing to do Lehigh faithful "running" him out of town.

As for Lembo, he clearly is an above average head coach and has done wonders with Elon. But as some of your LC brethren have posted before, many think that Pete's personality and coaching style wears on players and that by the end of the season, they are "cooked". His Lehigh teams showed some softness towards the end of the season, and thus far, Elon has crashed and burned at the end of the past couple of seasons. If they lose to Samford tomorrow, that will play out again, but I think he'll get over the hump this year.

You guys would give your left nut to have Lembo back at this point.

Go...gate
November 20th, 2009, 02:49 PM
No. He will be Ed Sweeney'ed after the game, win or lose.

Lehigh74
November 20th, 2009, 04:39 PM

The only one who knows the answer is Joe Sterrett, but I sure hope you're right.

ngineer
November 20th, 2009, 10:41 PM
Unless we get blown out tomorrow, I think Andy comes back for another year. We will have 10/11 offensive starters back...and learned today that there is a good chance we'll have 9/11 original defensive starters back as Al Pierce and Troy Taylor have excellent chances to receive medical redshirts. All special teams return.
The injuries and 'youth', as pointed out, are on his side as well as a most important factor....THE PLAYERS. I believe Sterrett talks to the leaders of the team as well in considering such a decision, and there is no question the kids like Coen and their hard play down the stretch speaks to that.
So, my vote is that he will be 'renewed' for one year. Next year's schedule is also tough. Tougher than this year's, which has been rated one of the toughest in FCS in terms of opponents W-L records.

Lehigh74
November 22nd, 2009, 08:28 PM
Lehigh managed to beat Lafayette for the second year in a row. Does that mean Coen definitely returns next year? I f he does return, I believe he needs to make some changes on the offensive side of the ball. How about a new offensive coordinator and a new quarterbacks coach? I would like to see less use of the shotgun formation and more of a commitment to establishing the run.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 23rd, 2009, 11:03 AM
I think Coen returns.

colorless raider
November 23rd, 2009, 06:02 PM

That's pretty good Go Gate. Seems like a long time ago. Bring back Mark Murphy.

LUHawker
November 23rd, 2009, 07:39 PM
According to the Sports Network, Coen will be back next year.

Lehigh74
November 23rd, 2009, 11:05 PM
According to the Sports Network, Coen will be back next year.

Can you post the link to the story you reference?

RichH2
November 23rd, 2009, 11:22 PM
I believe they are referring to Coen quote about next year. My bet is he will be back but not all of staff