PDA

View Full Version : Thomas Out at Nicholls

TexasTerror
November 19th, 2009, 10:29 PM
Coaching search has begun...

HAMMOND – Nicholls State football coach Jay Thomas confirmed a poorly-kept secret only minutes after his team had wrapped up its 2009 season Thursday night.

The Colonels’ 45-30 win over rival Southeastern Louisiana was his swan song, as he will not be retained as head coach. An official announcement of his ouster is expected Friday morning.

Thomas was reportedly informed of his firing mid-week, a move that came as a surprise to the Baker native.

“I was totally surprised by it,” Thomas said shortly after Thursday’s win. “I had totally planned to stay in Thibodaux for a long time. My wife works at the university and both my daughters were born there.

http://www.neworleans.com/sports/local-sports-news/nicholls-state-news/266028-thomas-confirmes-ouster-as-nicholls-coach.html

Head Cat
November 19th, 2009, 10:37 PM
Stupid season has started. What was a guy like Thomas suppose to do? I think he did a good job there. Nicholls State is poorly funded and the team has had nothing but off-field problems with all of the hurricanes and the like. Blowing up the program like this does nothing but insure that the Colonels will be bad for several years to come.

How about firing some ADs for a change, instead of coaches?

Hood
November 19th, 2009, 10:50 PM
This just tears me apart. Coach Thomas is a total class act. He did what he could with what he was given.

Expect me to post a more in depth rant once I can organize my thoughts.

GeauxLions94
November 19th, 2009, 11:30 PM
This just tears me apart. Coach Thomas is a total class act. He did what he could with what he was given.

Expect me to post a more in depth rant once I can organize my thoughts.

Agreed here. He'll land on his feet pretty soon.

Geaux25
November 20th, 2009, 12:38 AM
Wow...I'm surprised.

This guy has always seemed first class to me and did everything he could to win at Nicholls. That place might be the toughest place to put together a consistent winner in all of FCS.

The people in the front office need to be thoroughly questioned on this one.

Wow, just wow.

crossfire07
November 20th, 2009, 01:25 AM
He had his boys ready to play when McNeese rolled in. you would have never known they had a losing record by the way they went about that game.I think they will regret this move. I just hope they don't end up with a coach that will have them 0-10 next year. this conference has had enough of that this year.

txstatebobcat
November 20th, 2009, 07:14 AM
Wow, this is possibly the dumbest thing the colonels could have possibly done.

TxState_GO_CATS!
November 20th, 2009, 07:49 AM
That really sucks.

I just hope they don't pull a Georgia Southern and can the triple option and start from scratch...

TexasTerror
November 20th, 2009, 08:19 AM
I've been a big fan of Jay Thomas...

What will be interesting to see is what Nicholls will do. Which candidates are going to emerge here? Is Scott Stoker (fmr NWST HC/current SHSU DC) a candidate?

Would Nicholls be better off hiring a HS coach with connections in the river parishes? Nicholls could do well by recruiting the river parishes with expertise.

DG Cowboy
November 20th, 2009, 08:28 AM
The only thing uncommon to this scenario is common sense.

UCABEARS75
November 20th, 2009, 09:50 AM
The Colonels sure played their tails off last night.

Did they know about this before the game?

jstate83
November 20th, 2009, 09:51 AM
Coaches are getting the ax left and right this week.xeekx

GATA
November 20th, 2009, 11:59 AM
That really sucks.

I just hope they don't pull a Georgia Southern and can the triple option and start from scratch...

They will. Athletic directors are absolute morons about this stuff. Be sure that Nicholls will no longer be running the option. it's a dying breed.

TexasTerror
November 20th, 2009, 12:34 PM

Media had caught on to the story BEFORE the game. I was told around 1 p.m. by a fellow member of the local media.

txst80
November 20th, 2009, 03:38 PM

I heard Thomas told the team on Wednesday to prepare for a coaching change. He told them to showcase what they could do for a new staff last night. Hell of a way to finish the season at least.

pokefan02
November 20th, 2009, 04:29 PM
McNeese needs to tell Viator if you lose this week your fired and then again next week and next week and next week and next week and then give him a raise.

txst80
November 20th, 2009, 04:45 PM
McNeese needs to tell Viator if you lose this week your fired and then again next week and next week and next week and next week and then give him a raise.

I'm sure he would love that...

Geaux25
November 20th, 2009, 08:56 PM

I worry that some FBS school will come get Coach V shortly. His record stands for itself but with what he was able to do to get the program back on track of the controversy with Tommy Tate will do wonders for his prospects at the next level. I hope I'm wrong. xsmhx

FormerPokeCenter
November 21st, 2009, 01:24 AM
I worry that some FBS school will come get Coach V shortly. His record stands for itself but with what he was able to do to get the program back on track of the controversy with Tommy Tate will do wonders for his prospects at the next level. I hope I'm wrong. xsmhx

I missed where the program was in shambles after Tate. Tommy didn't take care of some discipline issues like he should have, even after being told by the University President to take care of a particular matter.

Sure Matt reeled off two straight championship teams, but he did so with Tate's players....

I agree Matt's a great coach. He's positively a genius at clock management. And he's methodical and maniacal at scheming before a game. But let's be real. He doesn't walk on water and he has some weaknesses, just like any coach does.

Would he do well at the next level? Undoubtedly, but let's not get too carried away at describing the McNeese program as being on life-support when he took over..

That's just laughable.

Geaux25
November 21st, 2009, 03:34 AM
I missed where the program was in shambles after Tate. Tommy didn't take care of some discipline issues like he should have, even after being told by the University President to take care of a particular matter.

Sure Matt reeled off two straight championship teams, but he did so with Tate's players....

I agree Matt's a great coach. He's positively a genius at clock management. And he's methodical and maniacal at scheming before a game. But let's be real. He doesn't walk on water and he has some weaknesses, just like any coach does.

Would he do well at the next level? Undoubtedly, but let's not get too carried away at describing the McNeese program as being on life-support when he took over..

That's just laughable.

Ok...now explain to me where I exclaimed the program was in shambles, or life-support as you inferred. All I said was that there was some controversy (to which you admitted) and Viator overcame it.

Also, winning with someone else's players isn't easy to do. Ask Mike Sherman at Texas A&M, he's 'trying' to win with Dennis Franchione's players.

Losing a coach during the middle of the season can be extremely detrimental to the chemistry and continuity of a team. Believe me, I know first hand...from being at McNeese. Therefore, in my mind, his best coaching job was the season he took over for Tate.

FBS schools will take notice, some have already I'm sure as his name was in the rumor mill for the Southern Miss job last year before it was given to Larry Fedora. I don't think he's going anywhere anytime soon though because I believe he loves his alma mater and wants to stay in Lake Charles where his roots are.

I understand your passion for the program, but please go back and read what I said in my post...

...I never claimed the football program was in shambles under Tate. Had he taken care of those disciplinary issues, he may still be the HC.

TexasTerror
November 22nd, 2009, 07:03 AM
When Thomas took over in 2004, he stepped into a no-win situation. The team was distraught after its previous head coach — Daryl Daye — was fired prior to the start of the season, and several players were gone after an academic fraud investigation.

To make matters worse, NCAA sanctions loomed over the program as a result of the probe.

Despite those obstacles, Thomas and the Colonels persevered and prevailed.

http://www.houmatoday.com/article/20091121/OPINION01/911219983/1180/SPORTS?Title=Nicholls-made-a-big-mistake

TexasTerror
November 24th, 2009, 05:12 AM
Some names that came up...

current UL-Lafayette and former Nicholls assistant Tim Rebowe, South Alabama and former Nicholls assistant and player Mitch Rodrigue, Sam Houston State defensive corodinator Scott Stoker, Crowley High head coach Tommy Tate and Central Arkansas assistant head coach Hud Jackson.

http://www.neworleans.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=267688&Itemid=578