PDA

View Full Version : Mr London would you like a Black or silver Benz

19Duke97
November 19th, 2009, 02:26 PM
At UVA... He has the ties, the respect and is a winner... then throw this gas on the fire.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ap-bca-reportcard&prov=ap&type=lgns

AppAlum96
November 19th, 2009, 02:42 PM
You know, it may be a situation like major league baseball right now, it's not that schools are unwilling to hire black coaches, it's just that there aren't as many. I don't know any numbers though. But for baseball, it's just that fewer black kids are playing it. MLB would love more black players, there just aren't as many playing as there used to be. They've looked into putting more baseball leagues and academies in inner cities to get more minorities into baseball. I guess that's not the case with football, though, huh?

JMU Newbill
November 19th, 2009, 02:50 PM
You mean he has to choose? Why not both?

mcveyrl
November 19th, 2009, 02:53 PM
He would probably forego the car if he could take some players with him...

ASUG8
November 19th, 2009, 02:55 PM
Or you could do this - this guy was a trainwreck at Wake Forest when I was there, but why not put him in a marquee NFL job?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Caldwell_(American_football)

1993 Wake Forest 2-9 1-7 9th
1994 Wake Forest 3-8 1-7 8th
1995 Wake Forest 1-10 0-8 9th
1996 Wake Forest 3-8 1-7 8th
1997 Wake Forest 5-6 3-5 7th
1998 Wake Forest 3-8 2-6 7th
1999 Wake Forest 7-5 3-5 5th W Aloha Bowl
2000 Wake Forest 2-9 1-7 8th
Wake Forest: 26-63 12-52
Total: 26-63

mcveyrl
November 19th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Or you could do this - this guy was a trainwreck at Wake Forest when I was there, but why not put him in a marquee NFL job?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Caldwell_(American_football)

1993 Wake Forest 2-9 1-7 9th
1994 Wake Forest 3-8 1-7 8th
1995 Wake Forest 1-10 0-8 9th
1996 Wake Forest 3-8 1-7 8th
1997 Wake Forest 5-6 3-5 7th
1998 Wake Forest 3-8 2-6 7th
1999 Wake Forest 7-5 3-5 5th W Aloha Bowl
2000 Wake Forest 2-9 1-7 8th
Wake Forest: 26-63 12-52
Total: 26-63

In Caldwell's defense, he had some pretty good teachin' in the time between WF and taking over the Colts. He obviously has some sort of mental powers which forces even the (allegedly) smartest coaches to go for it on 4th and 2 in their own territory.

ASUG8
November 19th, 2009, 03:06 PM
In Caldwell's defense, he had some pretty good teachin' in the time between WF and taking over the Colts. He obviously has some sort of mental powers which forces even the (allegedly) smartest coaches to go for it on 4th and 2 in their own territory.

I'd argue that Dungy put the talent in place to put the Colts on autopilot for a couple of years. I didn't see Caldwell even speak into his headset vs. the Pats.

GannonFan
November 19th, 2009, 03:10 PM
He would probably forego the car if he could take some players with him...

Nah, most of his players are juniors and seniors already left over from the cupboard that Clawson left very filled. London's a great motivator, and that's been proven at Richmond. How he is at recruiting remains to be proven, but he'd probably do alright at UVa.

mcveyrl
November 19th, 2009, 03:11 PM
I'd argue that Dungy put the talent in place to put the Colts on autopilot for a couple of years. I didn't see Caldwell even speak into his headset vs. the Pats.

That's a good point. It will probably take a couple of years for the wheels to fall off if it's going to happen, but a really bad coach can ruin something like that really quick.

19Duke97
November 19th, 2009, 03:33 PM
That's a good point. It will probably take a couple of years for the wheels to fall off if it's going to happen, but a really bad coach can ruin something like that really quick.

It only took Alex Wood 2 years.. lol

Hoyadestroya85
November 19th, 2009, 03:34 PM
Would they really want to get rid of Groh and just replace him with one of his assistants.. I think Golden from Temple would have to be considered if they were going to do that.

proasu89
November 19th, 2009, 03:35 PM

Bill Polian will keep him from falling on his face and a fellow named Manning. Jim Caldwell is a good man and hopefully the time spent working w/ Dungy has made him a better coach.

Hoyadestroya85
November 19th, 2009, 03:36 PM
Let's be realistic.. Peyton Manning is the coach of that team.

ASUG8
November 19th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Bill Polian will keep him from falling on his face and a fellow named Manning. Jim Caldwell is a good man and hopefully the time spent working w/ Dungy has made him a better coach.

No arguments on whether he's a good guy or not - there are a lot of good guys out there, but reviewing his head coaching resume wouldn't lead many people to have him pilot a Peyton Manning led team. JMHO. xpeacex

AlphaSigMD
November 19th, 2009, 03:55 PM
It only took Alex Wood 2 years.. lol

It only took Brian Van Gorder 1 xwhistlexxoopsx

TexasTerror
November 29th, 2009, 07:51 PM
FootballScoop has him mentioned at Marshall.

KiddBrewer
November 29th, 2009, 08:11 PM
haha mr. london, welcome to the university of virginia

no doubt.

Eight Legger
November 29th, 2009, 08:44 PM
I think there's much doubt about who UVA will want. Looking at things from their perspective, do you hire someone who has not yet won as a head coach with his own players? Do you hire someone who was associated with Al Groh? As awful a program as UVA is, it's still in a BCS conference and could easily attract (and outpay) for a current successful and proven FBS coach. And these are the arguments I would like to make to Craig Littlepage. Now stay away from our coach!

Honestly, I would be shocked if Mike London is not our coach when we open our new stadium next year. He IS a Spider. Otherwise I would think he's gone.

Hoyadestroya85
November 29th, 2009, 09:02 PM
I don't care where he went to school, if he gets a job offer to a halfway decent school he HAS to take it. If his dream job was to be the head coach at richmond, then he'll stay. Let's be serious though, this guy has been a coach in the NFL.. you have to imagine that he eventually wants to coach there.

BDKJMU
November 29th, 2009, 10:31 PM
Could be Terry Bowden:
http://www.footballrumormill.com/2009/10/29/terry-bowden-rumors-abound-virginia-ucf-memphis-could-come-calling/

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/10/29/terry-bowden-set-to-take-somebodys-job/

SpeedkingATL
November 29th, 2009, 10:35 PM
I suggest UVA hire Coach London tonight....and let him take a bunch of his players with him.............tonight. There's no time like the present. Why put off until tomorrow what you can do tonight!!!:D:D:D:D:D

Husky4Life
November 29th, 2009, 10:37 PM
Let's be realistic.. Peyton Manning is the coach of that team.

Caldwell was Dungy's hand picked replacement. Manning is calling all of the plays on offense. There are so many veterans on that defense that they won't let Caldwell fail. Wait to Peyton gets hurt... But not til after the Patriots get revenge!

ur2k
November 29th, 2009, 11:26 PM
If UVA is reading - London is a terrible coach ... you don't want himxreadx

Husky4Life
November 29th, 2009, 11:30 PM
If UVA is reading - London is a terrible coach ... you don't want himxreadx

I met this guy back when he was at BC. Great coach, good guy. I'm not at all surprised he's done so well. If I were UR I'd really pray that Groh sticks around for another year. Too bad UVA got cranked against Tech.

SumItUp
November 29th, 2009, 11:33 PM
I met this guy back when he was at BC. Great coach, good guy. I'm not at all surprised he's done so well. If I were UR I'd really pray that Groh sticks around for another year. Too bad UVA got cranked against Tech.

Groh was already fired.

BDKJMU
November 30th, 2009, 12:33 AM
I suggest UVA hire Coach London tonight....and let him take a bunch of his players with him.............tonight. There's no time like the present. Why put off until tomorrow what you can do tonight!!!:D:D:D:D:D

Because something like 14 of UR's 22 starters are seniors. UVA needs players that can play NEXT year. xrolleyesx

tribe_pride
November 30th, 2009, 07:30 AM
Would not be unprecedented for an FBS coach to turn down a BCS offer. Just look down 64 where Laycock has turned down offers to go to BC (and maybe others) because he wanted to stay at W&M.

That said, since they are losing 14 of 22, if he is going to go, this is the year to do it.

MacThor
November 30th, 2009, 08:08 AM
I'm not sure how this will go. Kristen graduated from UVa so he has no kids there. From all reports, he has recruited two awesome classes already, and this year's commitments include some absolute studs. While obviously UR is expected to drop off next season, they won't fall off a cliff. A lot of underclassmen get playing time - 3 of the big 4 receiving corps and most of the stud linebackers will be back. Does he want to go to a team that doesn't have the horses to compete in a weak ACC?

Ironically, I have heard Clawson's name mentioned for UVa. He's already proven he can recruit in the ACC's backyard; the boosters were eyeing him before Groh got his extension (oops); Bowling Green outperformed expectations this season...hmm.

Husky4Life
November 30th, 2009, 08:57 AM
Groh was already fired.

Ya I apologize for my oversight. Thanks for pointing that out and not making fun of me, I probably would have not afforded the same courtesy.

justsaying
December 1st, 2009, 03:23 PM
You know, it may be a situation like major league baseball right now, it's not that schools are unwilling to hire black coaches, it's just that there aren't as many. I don't know any numbers though. But for baseball, it's just that fewer black kids are playing it. MLB would love more black players, there just aren't as many playing as there used to be. They've looked into putting more baseball leagues and academies in inner cities to get more minorities into baseball. I guess that's not the case with football, though, huh?

xsmhx Many problems with this post, but I don't want to get into politics...

ASU_Fanatic
December 1st, 2009, 03:38 PM
I heard UVA is gonna hire him..wish him the best of luck.

GannonFan
December 1st, 2009, 03:49 PM
I'm not sure how this will go. Kristen graduated from UVa so he has no kids there. From all reports, he has recruited two awesome classes already, and this year's commitments include some absolute studs. While obviously UR is expected to drop off next season, they won't fall off a cliff. A lot of underclassmen get playing time - 3 of the big 4 receiving corps and most of the stud linebackers will be back. Does he want to go to a team that doesn't have the horses to compete in a weak ACC?

Ironically, I have heard Clawson's name mentioned for UVa. He's already proven he can recruit in the ACC's backyard; the boosters were eyeing him before Groh got his extension (oops); Bowling Green outperformed expectations this season...hmm.

But as it is, London is still unproven when it comes to recruiting and coaching his own players. Clawson undeniably left him with a significant core group of players who have been the main component of what Richmond has done over the past 2 years. London gets the credit for coaching them and putting them where they are, but everybody thinks they have good recruiting classes - it's not until they hit the field that we find out who was good and who wasn't. If London was going to leave, now would obviously be a great time for him to do it.

SpidersSportsEditor
December 1st, 2009, 04:48 PM
But as it is, London is still unproven when it comes to recruiting and coaching his own players. Clawson undeniably left him with a significant core group of players who have been the main component of what Richmond has done over the past 2 years. London gets the credit for coaching them and putting them where they are, but everybody thinks they have good recruiting classes - it's not until they hit the field that we find out who was good and who wasn't. If London was going to leave, now would obviously be a great time for him to do it.

Good point. But, for some reason, I have a bad feeling he is going to head up the road to Charlottesville. Yes, he's a UR grad and yes, he hasn't proven himself with his own players yet, but I think he would like the opportunity to stay in Virginia and to be the HC at a school like UVa, which has good academics (which he legitmately cares about) and good athletics. As you said, unless he's convinced he wants to coach at UR for the foreseeable future, he would probably rather leave now than in 5 or 10 years after he has already become a staple here. It'd be sad to see him go, but he's a great person and a very good coach and if this is his dream job (or close to it), I hope he gets the chance to take it. It'd be nice if he could bring us another National title first, though xthumbsupx.

Eight Legger
December 1st, 2009, 07:00 PM
Good point. But, for some reason, I have a bad feeling he is going to head up the road to Charlottesville. Yes, he's a UR grad and yes, he hasn't proven himself with his own players yet, but I think he would like the opportunity to stay in Virginia and to be the HC at a school like UVa, which has good academics (which he legitmately cares about) and good athletics. As you said, unless he's convinced he wants to coach at UR for the foreseeable future, he would probably rather leave now than in 5 or 10 years after he has already become a staple here. It'd be sad to see him go, but he's a great person and a very good coach and if this is his dream job (or close to it), I hope he gets the chance to take it. It'd be nice if he could bring us another National title first, though xthumbsupx.

London is much too smart a guy to view UVA as a "dream job." :D

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 1st, 2009, 07:34 PM
London ain't going to UVA. UVA didn't spend over $4M on a buyout and hire a search firm to go find the guy that they've known all along right down the road with no 1A head coaching experience. They're looking to make a big splash and sell lots of tickets immediately.

I am more worried about London leaving for a job that isn't open now, but will when the dominos fall like they always do in January. ECU perhaps.

blukeys
December 1st, 2009, 08:26 PM
London ain't going to UVA. UVA didn't spend over $4M on a buyout and hire a search firm to go find the guy that they've known all along right down the road with no 1A head coaching experience. They're looking to make a big splash and sell lots of tickets immediately.

I am more worried about London leaving for a job that isn't open now, but will when the dominos fall like they always do in January. ECU perhaps.

Why would ECU change coaches when they just got into their conference's championship game???

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 1st, 2009, 08:32 PM
Why would ECU change coaches when they just got into their conference's championship game???

Because Holtz leaves for greener pastures. He has been named a candidate for the UVA job.

It's how you play dominos.

Spiderbone
December 1st, 2009, 10:36 PM
skinny on the street here in VA is Al Golden (temple) is UVA's top choice

Spiderbone
December 1st, 2009, 10:37 PM
London isn't leaving, he loves UR, he is GOD at UR, He is making enough money and He is going to become our Joe Paterno....:D