PDA

View Full Version : The Battle for the Old Mountian Jug

Appinator
November 19th, 2009, 08:27 AM
Well, I'm kind of surprised that it's taken this long to get a thread about this game up.

Lots of things to look forward to:

-Finally getting Wagner on the campus of a good school and teaching him it's pronounced "Apple-latch-un", not the Yankee way he says it.

-Senior Day for the best player in ASU history

-NO RAIN, but a little chilly: http://www.booneweather.com/Forecast/Boone

So, any thoughts?

Predictions?

Will AE play?

SideLine Shooter
November 19th, 2009, 08:32 AM
Well, I'm kind of surprised that it's taken this long to get a thread about this game up.

-Finally getting Wagner on the campus of a good school and teaching him it's pronounced "Apple-latch-un", not the Yankee way he says it.

So, any thoughts?

Predictions?

Will AE play?

I certainly hope AE plays a little anyway. This will be his last regular season game at "The Rock". They need to pad his stats for the Payton Award since playoffs do not figure into the voting.

Bam
November 19th, 2009, 08:35 AM
Apple-latch-un. Is that where all those mobsters met in the 1950's? Spider, spider, spider.

appmaj
November 19th, 2009, 08:42 AM
I certainly hope AE plays a little anyway. This will be his last regular season game at "The Rock". They need to pad his stats for the Payton Award since playoffs do not figure into the voting.

Looking for Legree to have a big game; break some INT records

Appinator
November 19th, 2009, 08:52 AM
To be honest, I hope he doesn't play, and if he does, only the first half. If the Payton award voters haven't seen enough from him to get the award, well, one game against West Carolina isn't going to put him over the top. I really don't think anyone will be "out to get him", but all it takes is one play where someone rolls over him the wrong way and he's done.

I want the knee to heal up for a 100% AE in the playoffs, so we can send him out the right way: in Chattanooga.

ASUG8
November 19th, 2009, 09:44 AM

So, any thoughts?

Predictions?

Will AE play?

Little late to the party, Appinator - must have gotten buried.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66258&highlight=mountain

CrackerRiley
November 19th, 2009, 10:59 AM
I would hope Edwards played in this game, especially for senior day. I'm not looking past any team, even if it's Western. The defense that showed up for McNeese or other games and not the one that went to Elon could still show up. xrolleyesx

Let's hope that bad D is gone though.

SideLine Shooter
November 19th, 2009, 11:13 AM
Looking for Legree to have a big game; break some INT records

That would be NICE!xthumbsupxxnodxxthumbsupxxnodx

Mikeyosef
November 19th, 2009, 12:32 PM
Come on guys, it's the nature of the game. Anyone can get hurt on any play, Armanti is no exception. I say play him (let him play, you know he wants to) as long as he isn't really hurt. If he has not recovered fully from the knee strain he suffered last week but is playable, let him play in a few series or even the first quarter, depending on how sore it is, then take him out. It's senior day, the last regular season game he will every play at the Rock. I think we owe it to him to start him in this game.

SpeedkingATL
November 19th, 2009, 01:08 PM

So, any thoughts?

Predictions?

Will AE play?

In the words of Steve Spurrier "It's not a rivalry if the same team wins every year"! ASU has won 22 of the last 24 which takes a little of the excitement from the pregame smack.

ASU should win this game by as much as they want to, with or without AE. That said WCU had possibly their biggest win in a few years last week against EKU so they will not be taken lightly.xpopcornx It appears they have not quit on Wagner which is a positive sign for the future for WCU.

Appinator
November 19th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Little late to the party, Appinator - must have gotten buried.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66258&highlight=mountain

HA, the party only starts when I get there.....

The Cats
November 19th, 2009, 03:22 PM
ASU should win this game by as much as they want to, with or without AE.

You have overdosed on that kool-aide!!!!!

Saint3333
November 19th, 2009, 04:01 PM
He said should not that they would. WCU is still a couple years away at matching ASU athlete for athlete. On paper ASU should dominate both sides of the ball.

Mountaineer#96
November 19th, 2009, 04:07 PM

I love our AGS Catamount faithful!!!

Just pray that when you guys get good that the bandwagon fans don't jump after one big let down like Elon's.......

Aho_Old_Guy
November 19th, 2009, 05:34 PM
I went out to eat the other night and my waitress told me she had been married 3 times and was still a virgin.

I couldn't believe it. I asked her about her first husband - she said he was an OB/GYN and all he wanted to do was look at it. She said her second husband was a psychiatrist and all he wanted to do was talk about it. And her third husband?

He was a WCU fan and all he could say was: "Wait 'til next year!" xrotatehx

Got the Wheeeeeeeeee !

I'm expecting a good game --- those Cats would love to smack Appalachian at the Rock on Senior Day and most likely the Mountaineers will come out a little flat.

(sorry 'bout recycling an old joke :D )

AppAlum2003
November 19th, 2009, 06:58 PM
$10 says Armanti doesn't play on Saturday. Coach Moore just indicated on the radio that AE's leg has been in an air cast for the last 48 hours. Apparently he received a platelet injection recently and is experiencing some "discomfort" from it.

Western got luck two years in a row. xsmhx

The Cats
November 19th, 2009, 07:40 PM

Western had nothing to do with it...... maybe someone should have protected him from Elon for the last two years...... xrulesx

Horseshoe App
November 19th, 2009, 08:26 PM
Western had nothing to do with it...... maybe someone should have protected him from Elon for the last two years...... xrulesx

Even if Armanti doesn't play, we will beat you by at least 2 touchdowns. If Armanti plays and they let him loose like they did in the first half of the Elon game, we will beat you by at least 4 touchdowns. I doubt they let him play that much though.
I do respect you as a fan. You always think WCU is going to win. You are definitely a very loyal fan thru thick and thinxthumbsupx

boonegoon
November 19th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Even if Armanti doesn't play, we will beat you by at least 2 touchdowns. If Armanti plays and they let him loose like they did in the first half of the Elon game, we will beat you by at least 4 touchdowns. I doubt they let him play that much though.
I do respect you as a fan. You always think WCU is going to win. You are definitely a very loyal fan thru thick and thinxthumbsupx

Dood. I was in the Whee when Hoover ran all over us when we were ranked 5. Never take them lightly.

GreatAppSt
November 19th, 2009, 10:32 PM
Dood. I was in the Whee when Hoover ran all over us when we were ranked 5. Never take them lightly.

Exactly, take them lightly only if we're up by 28.

theasushow
November 20th, 2009, 10:43 AM

ill just predict the same score as the last time WCU came to the rock.

79-35

APP

Waco Kid
November 20th, 2009, 11:46 AM

One BIG difference.... they don't have Hoover this year. Also the game is in Boone where they haven't won since 84. Not saying they can't beat us, but if we play hard and focus on the Cats we will win.

AppAlum2003
November 20th, 2009, 01:12 PM

Never said they had anything to do with it... that's why they are "lucky".

Appinator
November 20th, 2009, 01:12 PM
$10 says Armanti doesn't play on Saturday. Coach Moore just indicated on the radio that AE's leg has been in an air cast for the last 48 hours. Apparently he received a platelet injection recently and is experiencing some "discomfort" from it.

Is the interview posted anywhere? I hate that I have to dig so much just to get basic injury reports.....

biggie
November 20th, 2009, 01:22 PM
Is the interview posted anywhere? I hate that I have to dig so much just to get basic injury reports.....

Usually is uploaded here: http://www.goasu.com/newMediaPlayer/sl/console.htm?id=135327&type=vod&oemid=21500&KEY=

But hasn't been the last 2 weeks, sucks, I usually listen to it Friday morning's here at work.

ASU_MBA
November 20th, 2009, 01:26 PM
I heard Jerry Moore has a year of eligibilty left from his days at Baylor and will suit up at QB.
Also several players from the App State 1954 North State Conference Championship team called and want to play against Cullowhee High. They want to celebrate the 55th anniversary of their conference championship with a win.

It appears it will truly be senior day at the rock.

With that in mind I say
App 63
Here Kitty kitty 14

biggie
November 20th, 2009, 01:30 PM
With Cadet most likely starting, then if WCU is smart they play 8 in the box and force throws early. That could be good or bad for us. Luckily it doesn't seem that WC gets many INTs, that could help.

Appinator
November 20th, 2009, 01:56 PM
With Cadet most likely starting, then if WCU is smart they play 8 in the box and force throws early. That could be good or bad for us. Luckily it doesn't seem that WC gets many INTs, that could help.

That worries me too.

Cadet is a phenomenal runner in the open field, but if they stack the middle, I think the offense will stall just like it did against Elon. He really, REALLY needs to work on his passing game. I have hoped all along that we rested AE (this might work out better for us), but I just want to see what Cadet can do for us through the air.

Has anyone heard any insights on Jamal Jackson, our apparent #3? He has the height (6'3) and the look of a strong spread option QB, but he didn't ever play in the scrimmage, and I don't think I have ever heard of him in a game. I wonder if we might get to see a little of him if Cadet struggles passing.

The Moody1
November 20th, 2009, 03:18 PM
Isn't Jamal Jackson being red shirted?

Aho_Old_Guy
November 20th, 2009, 03:36 PM
I'd say with his game experience Presley gets the snaps if TC has any problems ...

Appinator
November 20th, 2009, 03:54 PM

It would be great if he was, I know he hasn't played all season, so he is still able to qualify for a red shirt. If that is the case, like a few others have mentioned, we might see DP. Still, has anyone heard how good Jackson is?

proasu89
November 20th, 2009, 04:23 PM

Yes.

boonegoon
November 20th, 2009, 06:59 PM

It's senior day. No way Armanti doesn't start. They will pull him early but he will start.

whoanellie
November 20th, 2009, 08:02 PM
It's senior day. No way Armanti doesn't start. They will pull him early but he will start.
unless Cadet screws up and caughs up a couple
WCU has no defense.......aweful special team execution.... offense gritty so they might give you a good half
assuming you give the effort you did against Elon.... jmho

asknoquarter21
November 20th, 2009, 09:23 PM
Still, has anyone heard how good Jackson is?

Yes. It sounds like Cadet might not be starting next year afterall.

MountaineerNation
November 20th, 2009, 10:08 PM
Yes. It sounds like Cadet might not be starting next year afterall.

Hmm... should be a good battle for starter then! Cadet will still see plenty of time I'm sure

AshevilleApp
November 21st, 2009, 02:30 PM
Here we go!

MtnJumper
November 21st, 2009, 02:35 PM
Won the toss, deferred. Let's see some D!

MtnJumper
November 21st, 2009, 02:40 PM
Cadet QBing 1st series! Hm.

CharlestonAppFan
November 21st, 2009, 02:54 PM
3-0 App, no passing game so far

asknoquarter21
November 21st, 2009, 03:02 PM
4th and Goal for WCU.

TD

asknoquarter21
November 21st, 2009, 03:03 PM
7-3

ASU can't pass

Armanti Edwards? Anyone

ericsaid
November 21st, 2009, 03:12 PM
Cadets sucking it up.

asknoquarter21
November 21st, 2009, 03:16 PM
Penalty on ASU

Instead of 4th it is now 1st WCU

ericsaid
November 21st, 2009, 03:22 PM
What in the @#$@#%$%

asknoquarter21
November 21st, 2009, 03:25 PM
Play calling is more conservative than Rush Limbaugh and our execution on offense is horrid.

ericsaid
November 21st, 2009, 03:33 PM
I see a position change in Cadets future

Go Apps
November 21st, 2009, 03:34 PM
ASU is going to wind up losing this and needed a big win to be in a seed consideration all appears to be lost

MountaineerMania54
November 21st, 2009, 03:36 PM
lose faith much man?

Go Apps
November 21st, 2009, 03:39 PM
Not losing faith just that without a big victory will we be in seed consideration - Richmond, S Ill, Montana are all winning or won big - Nova is up so ....

ericsaid
November 21st, 2009, 03:39 PM
I've never thought much of Cadet as a passer and this is concrete proof of his inability. To be honest, I don't see much upside as far as throwing goes for him.

Go Apps
November 21st, 2009, 03:42 PM
odd Cadet is not running- that has been his strength?

asknoquarter21
November 21st, 2009, 03:44 PM
You have to wonder when they put someone else in if this continues

ericsaid
November 21st, 2009, 03:45 PM
They cued on him running. Now he's handing off a lot and throwing short routes that he can't complete. They need a package like the Florida Gators have with Tim Tebow. Stack the line up on one side with a runningback and h back.

CamelCityAppFan
November 21st, 2009, 03:46 PM
You have to wonder when they put someone else in if this continues

Who would you put in? Deandre?

Mattymc727
wait..... AE is back for the playoffs right? I didnt know he was hurt

Go Apps
dodged a bullet before half

boonegoon
What a glaring need qb is for next year.

asknoquarter21
November 21st, 2009, 03:48 PM
What a glaring need qb is for next year.

He is redshirting

asknoquarter21
November 21st, 2009, 03:50 PM
Who would you put in? Deandre?

No doubt. He took snaps this week at QB

CharlestonAppFan
November 21st, 2009, 03:52 PM
wait..... AE is back for the playoffs right? I didnt know he was hurt

yes, he has a MCL sprain but is available today if needed.......and he's needed

Mattymc727
November 21st, 2009, 03:53 PM

thanks

Waco Kid
November 21st, 2009, 03:55 PM
Guys it looks exactly the same as last year when AE was out against the Cats. Pressley had a monster second half last year after not being able to complete a handoff. Cadet hasn't been practicing much at QB until this week plus he still is coming off of 3 years without playing QB. I thought it was dumb to move him to WR when Coco got hurt and this is exactly why. He needs all the reps he can get yet they move him away from QB right before the push for the playoffs knowing that Pressley hadn't played QB since week 1. Coaches made a dumb decision by moving Cadet. Hopefully he turns it on in the 2nd quarter and will be allowed to focus on QB for the rest of the season.

Waco Kid
November 21st, 2009, 03:56 PM

Strain not a Sprain... big difference. Sprain would be worse.

CharlestonAppFan
November 21st, 2009, 04:00 PM
Strain not a Sprain... big difference. Sprain would be worse.

thanks xthumbsupx i didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night :D

Go Apps
November 21st, 2009, 04:10 PM
Finally TD!!! ASU

Skjellyfetti
November 21st, 2009, 04:15 PM
Who is #97 that is playing left DE for us? Only 97 on our team is a 5'10 180 WR... He doesn't have a name on his jersey. Is he playing because of injury or what? Is it Tanyi with a different jersey? xconfusedx

CharlestonAppFan
November 21st, 2009, 04:17 PM
Who is #97 that is playing left DE for us? Only 97 on our team is a 5'10 180 WR... He doesn't have a name on his jersey. Is he playing because of injury or what? Is it Tanyi with a different jersey? xconfusedx

Jordan Gary was in earlier, maybe him? xconfusedx

B&G
November 21st, 2009, 04:17 PM

Might be Jordan Gary. Apparently he is playing some DE today.

Appstnole21
November 21st, 2009, 04:19 PM

David Jackson on the radio said that Tanyi had switched jerseys for the second half. He is wearing 97 instead of 99. Didn't have a reason though.

Go Apps
November 21st, 2009, 04:24 PM
They say on the radio that it is #99 there is something wrong with the jersey so he had to change

MtnJumper
November 21st, 2009, 04:42 PM
wOO! a safety in front of 30,098 fans!

Skjellyfetti
November 21st, 2009, 04:42 PM
I like Tanyi wearing #97!!! Reminds me of Hunter. :D

Safety!!!

ericsaid
November 21st, 2009, 04:43 PM
Great defense the last few weeks.

ericsaid
November 21st, 2009, 04:47 PM
What a catch.

Skjellyfetti
November 21st, 2009, 04:49 PM
That was a LOUD App-State chant during that timeout.

Wish I was in Boone. :(

Waco Kid
November 21st, 2009, 04:50 PM
19-7

Told you guys it was just a matter of time. Looks like an instant replay of 2008.

theasushow
November 21st, 2009, 04:52 PM
phew...i hope this isnt a sneak preview of next season.

CharlestonAppFan
November 21st, 2009, 05:20 PM
19-14 Apps win

MtnJumper
November 21st, 2009, 05:25 PM
Outstanding. Defense played well, Cadet got great experience, and the rest of the offense stepped up to make up for AE's absence. Now, hopefully, AE is 100% for a home game next week.

T-Dog
November 21st, 2009, 06:31 PM
Fun game. With the 30K, we snatch the best average attendance from Montana.

AshevilleApp
November 21st, 2009, 06:46 PM
Defense stepping it up on a day when the offense didn't - playoffs here we come. Oddly defense might be our strong suit next year as we return most of our starters

ASU_Fanatic
November 21st, 2009, 07:17 PM
Boy, I was scared to death today but we pulled it out. I'm still not sold on Cadet, today he sucked and if it wasn't for Moore we lose. I still think there will be some QB contoversy in Boone this offseason.

theasushow
November 21st, 2009, 07:31 PM
Boy, I was scared to death today but we pulled it out. I'm still not sold on Cadet, today he sucked and if it wasn't for Moore we lose. I still think there will be some QB contoversy in Boone this offseason.

we have been spoiled rotten with AE. if we think that the next QB is going to be another armanti we are in for a big surprise. i think when we watch cadet we think "wow armanti definitely would have made that play". its not fair to cadet really, but hey its the nature of human nature. he didnt play great, but he played well enough for us to win the game and had NO turnovers. that AE comparison is always going to be there. unfortunately next season we are all going to be brought back to earth. xbawlingx

boonegoon
November 21st, 2009, 08:23 PM

Cadet is not our next qb. We have a redshirt I believe.

HighRyder08
November 21st, 2009, 08:48 PM
jackson will be our qb next year. he can both pass and run the ball well

proasu89
November 21st, 2009, 08:55 PM
we have been spoiled rotten with AE. if we think that the next QB is going to be another armanti we are in for a big surprise. i think when we watch cadet we think "wow armanti definitely would have made that play". its not fair to cadet really, but hey its the nature of human nature. he didnt play great, but he played well enough for us to win the game and had NO turnovers. that AE comparison is always going to be there. unfortunately next season we are all going to be brought back to earth. xbawlingx

I agree that we are spoiled but TC is gonna have to get better to beat out the field next year xtwocentsx

AshevilleApp
November 21st, 2009, 08:57 PM
Moore is recruiting athletes at QB (Pressley, Cadet, Jackson) mainly due to the offense that App runs. We caught lightning in a bottle with AE and his ability to pass accuartely and on the run. What's likely to happen next year is a renewed commitment to running the ball and lower scoring games which means our D will have to step up.....or we catch ligtning in a bottle twice!

theasushow
November 21st, 2009, 09:00 PM
I agree that we are spoiled but TC is gonna have to get better to beat out the field next year xtwocentsx

for sure...i mean he did fair against a below average western defense, which was all we needed today. as far as a long term QB, nothing that i saw today proved he was ready.

ofcourse trey elder beat out the field in '06 for the starting job........

Skjellyfetti
November 21st, 2009, 09:11 PM
I don't think Cadet had the whole playbook available to him today. He was very limited and it made it much easier for WCU to stop our offense.

It's way too early to give up on Cadet. He does need to improve his passing game... but, he can do alot in Spring and Summer practice.

Jackson could beat him out for the job... but, we've seen absolutely nothing of him in a game situation. He's supposed to be good... but, I don't think anyone can say with any certainty he's better than Cadet.

AshevilleApp
November 21st, 2009, 09:17 PM
Props to our seniors!
AE, Roman, Acitelli, Gilbert, Bennett

Checking the Regular Season State and if DJ Smith does not get some Award love it would be a crime

Tackles - 107
TFL - 12 for 51 yards
Sacks - 2 for 15 yards
INT - 1 for 34 yards
F Rec - 2 for 12 yards
FF - 1
Break Ups - 7
Passes Defended - 8
QB Hurries - 5

The only lines he does not have a stat for are Blocked Kicks and Safeties

ASU_Fanatic
November 21st, 2009, 09:32 PM
Yeah, I say convert Cadet to a WR and then let Jackson and Presley battle out for QB.

Skjellyfetti
November 21st, 2009, 10:06 PM
Yeah, I say convert Cadet to a WR and then let Jackson and Presley battle out for QB.

Why do you think Jackson is a better QB than Cadet?

I'm not saying he isn't... but, we've seen NOTHING from him except high school highlights and practice reports.

I don't think we need to move Cadet to wide receiver. Keep Presley at WR and let Cadet and Jackson battle it out in the offseason.

biggie
November 21st, 2009, 10:14 PM
Probably a Lott, Jackson, and Cadet battle for next year, but hope not to think about that til January or so.

Skjellyfetti
November 21st, 2009, 10:20 PM
Lott has been playing receiver with us for way too long to move him to QB in the Spring. He's going to be really good there too, imo.

It's Cadet vs. Jackson unless someone new comes on the scene.

catamount man
November 22nd, 2009, 07:44 AM
Great game and I really thought we were gonna end the long drought in Boone. Wasn't meant to be I reckon.... Congrats.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

ASU_Fanatic
November 22nd, 2009, 08:08 AM
Cadet still can't pass...he and Presley played two completely different ECU teams. Look I still think Presley is a better runner and passer...that is what we need.

catamount man
November 22nd, 2009, 08:28 AM
Cadet still can't pass...he and Presley played two completely different ECU teams. Look I still think Presley is a better runner and passer...that is what we need.

xconfusedxxconfusedxxconfusedx

Mountaineer#96
November 22nd, 2009, 09:38 AM
xconfusedxxconfusedxxconfusedx

ECU in the first and second half when each QB had a crack at them was two WAY opposite teams. That plagued ECU all year as well......losing games in the second half. That is what they are talking about.

Waco Kid
November 22nd, 2009, 10:51 AM

Moving him to receiver during the middle of the year is the problem. He was starting to make some good throws just when Coco got hurt.

AppMan
November 22nd, 2009, 11:49 AM

Up until yesterday the young man has played about 2 quarters at QB in three years and until last August never at the collegiate level. People seem to forget AE & RW couldn't throw it a lick when they came to ASU. Give the kid a chance to go through Spring ball aand Fall camp before making judgements about him. IMO, we put him in a no win situation yesterday after yankiing him from QB and playing him at WR the last three weeks. Not taking snaps, or sitting in meetings tends to make you a little rusty. Article on the Rivals site spoke of him staying after practice this week with a couple of WR's long after the coaches had left to work on his throwing. Passing requires reps, reps, and more reps. He didn't get any the past three weeks. Besides, the play calling was very, very basic yesterday. Not much of the playbook was used in the attempt of keeping it simple. We did what we had to do to win the game under the circumstances. Mission accomplished.