PDA

View Full Version : Lafayette Recieves Official Apology for No-Call

Pard4Life
November 18th, 2009, 09:43 AM
Undoubtedly this played a huge roll in the outcome of the HC game and may have cost the Pards a title... but it's water under the bridge. Also some good Lehigh game hints. I like the fact we are "angry." From Paul Reinhard:

http://blogs.mcall.com/sports/2009/11/ive-heard-frank-tavani-talk-about-his-24-hour-rule-all-season-so-i-know-it-is-now-well-beyond-the-time-that-i-should-have.html

Sunday morning, Tavani got a call. Interference should have been called, he was told. The official blew it. He would be disciplined.

The consolation call changes nothing. The Leopards will not go back and replay the series from the spot of the infraction.

"It was a tough pill to swallon, but it's like anything in the game," Tavani said. "That one play didn't wion or lose it. It's critical, and one that leave a bad taste in everyone's mouth, but you can't dwell on it."

Tavani said the guy who first called him Sunday was "pretty distraught about it. Then I did receive and actual ruling that, yes, indeed, there was clearly a foul that was not called and they had blown it and that he had called Carolyn (Schlle Femovitch, the Patriot League executive director). That said, like any other mistake, guys get paid to do a job, they didn't do it and there are consequences. Jim Maconaghy does a great job and I wouldn't want anyone else assigning officials. He's great to work with. All the coaches in the league have some complaints. He evaluates them and gets back to you. It ios what it is.*We're past that.

"Again, I don't want to take anything away from Holy Cross.*They get the automatic bid*and we hope they*do very well in the playoffs representing our*conference."

I have always gone out of my way during my career to give the benefit of the doubt to the guys in the striped shirts because they are making tough calls*in a split second. This call was neither tough nor split second. I don't think even the*Holy Cross people could believe they got away with that one. But, they did.

Pard94
November 18th, 2009, 09:47 AM
Undoubtedly this played a huge roll in the outcome of the HC game and may have cost the Pards a title... but it's water under the bridge. Also some good Lehigh game hints. I like the fact we are "angry." From Paul Reinhard:

http://blogs.mcall.com/sports/2009/11/ive-heard-frank-tavani-talk-about-his-24-hour-rule-all-season-so-i-know-it-is-now-well-beyond-the-time-that-i-should-have.html

Sunday morning, Tavani got a call. Interference should have been called, he was told. The official blew it. He would be disciplined.

The consolation call changes nothing. The Leopards will not go back and replay the series from the spot of the infraction.

"It was a tough pill to swallon, but it's like anything in the game," Tavani said. "That one play didn't wion or lose it. It's critical, and one that leave a bad taste in everyone's mouth, but you can't dwell on it."

Tavani said the guy who first called him Sunday was "pretty distraught about it. Then I did receive and actual ruling that, yes, indeed, there was clearly a foul that was not called and they had blown it and that he had called Carolyn (Schlle Femovitch, the Patriot League executive director). That said, like any other mistake, guys get paid to do a job, they didn't do it and there are consequences. Jim Maconaghy does a great job and I wouldn't want anyone else assigning officials. He's great to work with. All the coaches in the league have some complaints. He evaluates them and gets back to you. It ios what it is.*We're past that.

"Again, I don't want to take anything away from Holy Cross.*They get the automatic bid*and we hope they*do very well in the playoffs representing our*conference."

I have always gone out of my way during my career to give the benefit of the doubt to the guys in the striped shirts because they are making tough calls*in a split second. This call was neither tough nor split second. I don't think even the*Holy Cross people could believe they got away with that one. But, they did.

Wow. I've never heard of such a thing in the PL. I want to be careful not to suggest that we got robbed. Anyone who knows football knows that you shouldn't been in a position to allow one bad call to decide the game for you. It is very unfortunate though.

Pard4Life
November 18th, 2009, 09:49 AM
Wow. I've never heard of such a thing in the PL. I want to be careful not to suggest that we got robbed. Anyone who knows football knows that you shouldn't been in a position to allow one bad call to decide the game for you. It is very unfortunate though.

Right, like two blown PATs.

Bogus Megapardus
November 18th, 2009, 09:50 AM
Um - not that I think for a moment we have a chance, but is this something "the committee" might look at if a bunch of other chips fall into place this weekend?

Franks Tanks
November 18th, 2009, 10:02 AM
Notice Frank also said there is no "qb controversy" going into the Game this year.

As if there was one last year???

Bogus Megapardus
November 18th, 2009, 10:06 AM
Keep it fair, keep it fair . . .

http://tommcmahon.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/keepitfair2.jpg

SumItUp
November 18th, 2009, 10:10 AM
I could not believe that play was missed. There were two referees that had visibility of the call. Momentum was on Lafayette's side. It does not mean that they would have made it in the end zone or converted a field goal, but you had to like their chances to take the lead from the 15 yard line, down by 2 with 3 minutes to go. While the official apology is nice, it will only add fodder to the argument.

It's unfortunate. In a day when the NFL and FBS has many calls reviewed by replay, it seems more difficult to accept blatant mistakes. I'm not sure that play would have been reviewable under any circumstances, but it was obvious to anyone that watched the game.

Holy Cross played a good game and they won. There are always missed calls in a game. They just happened to benefit from a critical one.

Has the play shown up on youtube yet?

FUrams7
November 18th, 2009, 10:24 AM
according to Lafayette fans.. .. bad officiating call in the HC game.. how does the medicine taste when you're on the other end now? lol

Franks Tanks
November 18th, 2009, 10:25 AM
according to Lafayette fans.. .. bad officiating call in the HC game.. how does the medicine taste when you're on the other end now? lol

Nice game against Columbia this year

Bogus Megapardus
November 18th, 2009, 10:28 AM

Does someone have those ripping-the-helmet-from-the-receiver's-head photos from the Fordham game? I think FUrams7 is correct - we should have had that one reviewed.

Pard94
November 18th, 2009, 10:37 AM

2 major points of difference. 1) Someone other than the team in questions own whiney fans (that'd be you FU), namely PL officials, are pointing out the transgression. 2) We've all pretty much acknowledge that "crap happens". We've wished HC the best and it is behind us.

breezy
November 18th, 2009, 12:10 PM
I have been very impressed with the class demonstrated by the Lafayette posters about the outcome of the HC - Lafayette game.

When I watched the game and saw the play, I was afraid that pass interference was going to be called and was relieved that it was not. I think it was not called because the pass landed in front of the receiver who was moving away from the ball and the ball hit the ground at almost the same time that the D-back hit the receiver.

On the Crossports board, HC fans have pointed out that there was an uncalled holding penalty on Lafayette's offensive line on the same play, and that the officials also missed a pass interference call on a Holy Cross receiver in the red zone earlier in the game (and HC did not score on that possession). As Lafayette fans have graciously acknowledged, there are blown calls and no calls and "should-have-been" calls in every game.

I'm glad that HC won but I also hope that Lafayette gets an at-large bid to the playoffs.

On another note, it has been entertaining reading the back-and-forth comments between the Lehigh and Lafayette posters. Cherish that traditional rivalry!

Franks Tanks
November 18th, 2009, 12:17 PM
I have been very impressed with the class demonstrated by the Lafayette posters about the outcome of the HC - Lafayette game.

When I watched the game and saw the play, I was afraid that pass interference was going to be called and was relieved that it was not. I think it was not called because the pass landed in front of the receiver who was moving away from the ball and the ball hit the ground at almost the same time that the D-back hit the receiver.

On the Crossports board, HC fans have pointed out that there was an uncalled holding penalty on Lafayette's offensive line on the same play, and that the officials also missed a pass interference call on a Holy Cross receiver in the red zone earlier in the game (and HC did not score on that possession). As Lafayette fans have graciously acknowledged, there are blown calls and no calls and "should-have-been" calls in every game.

I'm glad that HC won but I also hope that Lafayette gets an at-large bid to the playoffs.

On another note, it has been entertaining reading the back-and-forth comments between the Lehigh and Lafayette posters. Cherish that traditional rivalry!

Thanks Breezy-- Holy Cross fans have been a classy bunch as well, however feel free to make fun of Lehigh !

Bogus Megapardus
November 18th, 2009, 12:24 PM

Breezy - You know that all this stuff is completely in good humor, correct? With that spirit in mind, feel free to join the fray!

Pard4Life
November 18th, 2009, 12:48 PM

The issue though is that Layton makes catches like that every game. He would have had a chance to come back to the ball if the defender didn't crash into him.

Anyhow, I'm glad the call and our play has us nice and angry for Lehigh.

breezy
November 18th, 2009, 12:51 PM
When I went to HC (many years ago), we had our traditional rivalry with BC, so I can relate to the Lafayette - Lehigh banter. Unfortunately, that is gone now. You are lucky that despite all the changes in finances and demographics that have occurred in college athletics over the years, you have been able to maintain that rivalry. As I said, cherish it!

Sader87
November 18th, 2009, 03:49 PM
When I went to HC (many years ago), we had our traditional rivalry with BC, so I can relate to the Lafayette - Lehigh banter. Unfortunately, that is gone now. You are lucky that despite all the changes in finances and demographics that have occurred in college athletics over the years, you have been able to maintain that rivalry. As I said, cherish it!

I was in the last class that played BC in football....like yourself, I'm envious of LC-LU fans in that we don't have that "traditional" rival in football anymore.

Colgate is probably the closest we have now and that game should really be an "end of the season game" every year imo.

ngineer
November 18th, 2009, 10:38 PM
Nice for the League to acknowledge this. I said last Saturday night the 'pards got hosed on the call. However, as Tavani pointed out, there are a lot of other plays in the game where if the players had done their jobs it a blown call would not make a difference. You will never get all the calls, the problem is when it is obvious and right in front of an official. I felt the same two weeks ago when our blitzing LB Matt Cohen was virtually tackled by a HC lineman when Randolph completed a long pass the kept their game-winning drive alive. C'est la vie. There were a bunch of other plays that day that we did not make that would have made the no-call irrelevant. That said, the no-call won't have any impact on The Committe come Sunday. They will not invite an 8-3 Laughteryette.

Bogus Megapardus
November 19th, 2009, 05:46 AM
They will not invite an 8-3 [Lafayette].

Correct. It's the 9-2 version that would get the bid.