PDA

View Full Version : Georgetown coach resigns

December 20th, 2005, 12:57 PM
Georgetown football coach Bob Benson resigned today according to GU 's AD Muir.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 20th, 2005, 01:06 PM
Will Bob Benson end up on Pete Lembo's staff????

The PL Offseason is growing ever more curious.

carney2
December 20th, 2005, 01:08 PM
Can we take this as a signal that Georgetown is going to take football seriously?

LeopardFan04
December 20th, 2005, 01:17 PM
And we're down to only 5 PL football coaches...

Seriously though, I think that this might be a signal that Gtown is ready to make the move to compete with the upper half of the league...only time will tell though...

Lehigh Football Nation
December 20th, 2005, 01:20 PM
And we're down to only 5 PL football coaches...

Seriously though, I think that this might be a signal that Gtown is ready to make the move to compete with the upper half of the league...only time will tell though...

Techincally, 4. Fordham alraeady replaced their HC with the former BU head coach. So, 3 new head coaches, with Biddle having the longest tenure.

This should shake up the conference, eh?

89Hen
December 20th, 2005, 01:21 PM
Yikes, I can't help but feel a little responsible.

89Hen
11-21-2005, 04:31 PM
I don't think Benson will be around too long.

colgate13
December 20th, 2005, 01:21 PM
Techincally, 4. Fordham alraeady replaced their HC with the former BU head coach. So, 3 new head coaches, with Biddle having the longest tenure.

This should shake up the conference, eh?

Very interesting, and I think good news for Georgetown. I've been calling for this to happen for some time. The Hoyas need some new blood and new life.

With all this shaking going on, it should be a season full of surprises in 2006.

colgate13
December 20th, 2005, 01:22 PM
For those looking for a formal story: link (http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/scorecard/cfootballnews.asp?articleID=149441)

LBPop
December 20th, 2005, 01:24 PM
Can we take this as a signal that Georgetown is going to take football seriously?

Actually, the first sign that things might be changing with Georgetown football occured when they hired Bernard Muir as AD. Benson is a class guy and his contributions went far beyond the W-L column, but his teams could never quite compete in the PL. AD, Bernard Muir is a big football fan and remarkably well connected. I would pay a few dollars to be that proverbial fly on his wall for the next couple of weeks. :nod:

colgate13
December 20th, 2005, 01:33 PM
Interesting thought just occured: Lehigh and Georgetown will potentially going head to head for candidates. Lehigh's got the established program, facilities, etc. Georgetown has the great name, new facility building, nice location, etc.

As a coach, what one would you want if salary, etc. were equal (and by equal I mean cost of living too): the program where good isn't good enough or the program where good would be great?

LeopardFan04
December 20th, 2005, 01:39 PM
Interesting thought just occured: Lehigh and Georgetown will potentially going head to head for candidates. Lehigh's got the established program, facilities, etc. Georgetown has the great name, new facility building, nice location, etc.

As a coach, what one would you want if salary, etc. were equal (and by equal I mean cost of living too): the program where good isn't good enough or the program where good would be great?

Interesting question...I would take Georgetown. Perhaps it's just my bias speaking, but it seems that taking over a program that's been down has a higher appeal then stepping into Lehigh which has kind of hit a plateau under Lembo...maybe not more of challenge, but a different type of one...

Go...gate
December 20th, 2005, 02:01 PM
Georgetown had to do something because they have really struggled in the conference, so they requested the coach's resignation.

Unfortunately, the coach is usually the fall guy. Georgetown is only now getting their facilities improved and ramping up their recruiting. I really think they were going to get a lot better. Too bad they did not stay with him.

Pard4Life
December 20th, 2005, 02:26 PM
I think we all saw this coming. With new facilities, I don't think the administration would stand for more mediocrity. Now, G'town must show committment to football by dedicating more funds to the program.

89Hen
December 20th, 2005, 02:37 PM
Now, G'town must show committment to football by dedicating more funds to the program.
:confused:

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/gu/galleries/multi-sport-facility-030205/stadium1-lg.jpg

Pard4Life
December 20th, 2005, 02:40 PM

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/gu/galleries/multi-sport-facility-030205/stadium1-lg.jpg

I'm referring to need-based aid packages and recruiting effort... there was a thread about this yesterday.

colgate13
December 20th, 2005, 02:51 PM
I'm referring to need-based aid packages and recruiting effort... there was a thread about this yesterday.

I agree. They are behind the rest of the league here.

LBPop
December 20th, 2005, 02:59 PM
Actually, the first sign that things might be changing with Georgetown football occured when they hired Bernard Muir as AD.

Whew, quoting myself? How egotistical can I get? Maybe I can emulate Charles Barkley and claim that I was misquoted by myself. ;) :confused:

I think today's announcement is evidence of the growing commitment to football at Georgetown. There have been several developments over the past year (some obvious and some behind the scenes) that have encouraged those of us who are close to the program. Benson is a fine guy and has served Georgetown well. He knew the risks in his profession and he knows that character does not totally obscure a coach's won/lost record, much less several one-sided losses.

There is no doubt in my mind that the school is now more committed than in recent years to its football program. For selfish and unselfish reasons, I look forward to a bright future in DC.

massdad
December 20th, 2005, 03:31 PM
Big change...very interested in your thoughts on what's next.

Fordham
December 20th, 2005, 03:37 PM

DFW Hoya has posted here that the stadium was 100% alumni funded.

13 has linked to some sights that show a big disparity between what G-town spends and what the rest of the PL does. although I think the data is suspect (they can't be THAT far behind everyone else), I do think it's clear that there is a big gap.

That alone is the reason to go for the Lehigh job at this point ... unless the AD at G-town convinces you that the budget is going to be on par with the other PL schools, in which case I agree that it would be better to be a program's next Clawson than it's next Lembo.

89Hen
December 20th, 2005, 10:16 PM
DFW Hoya has posted here that the stadium was 100% alumni funded.
Even if that's so, you'd have to be right in assuming that those donations would otherwise take away from the general University's donations, at least at some percentage.

I didn't know this topic was covered before so I'll defer to those in the know. But the fact that G'town would dedicate that acre to a football field is pretty impressive in and of itself. They could have put 100 dorm room on that space, or 20 large classrooms. You have to understand that G'town is on a VERY tight acreage allocation for the campus. If you actually came to the 'stadium', you'd understand. It is packed in between buildings and is very valuable property.

ngineer
December 20th, 2005, 10:53 PM
Cost of living in the DC area is ridiculous. I can't imagine what the Hoyas have to pay athletic staff to live there...a significant handicap if money is tight.

DFW HOYA
December 20th, 2005, 10:57 PM
Three points, many more to follow.

1. Georgetown's pay is generally lower than most across the board.The school is cash-poor. (In 2003, a West Virginia newspaper reported that Georgetown's basketball coach made less than every other Big East school but Virginia Tech, which has since bumped up its spending in the ACC.)

2. All this talk about a "new facility"--it just isn't there yet. The only thing currently is the field with temporary seats, and that took a lot of effort by Benson just to get that. The stadium is not 100% funded now inasmuch as there are still millions left to be raised. However, the stadium has to be 100% funded when its done, because Georgetown no longer has funds for new capital projects.

3. The article cited on expenses may be this one.
http://www.dopke.com/Archives_Pages/Expenses/IAA_Expenses0304.htm

DFW HOYA
December 22nd, 2005, 08:22 PM
As a follow-up, don't expect any press coverage about the search, for two reasons:

1. The Washington media has given up on I-AA football. Even Howard gets scant coverage in the Post these days, and the paper is really foccusing on Maryland and Virginia Tech for the dwindling subscriptions of suburban readers.

2. But even if they did cover I-AA, Georgetown conducts searches in stealth. Last year's finalists for the athletic director position, for example, were never disclosed.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 22nd, 2005, 10:38 PM
As a follow-up, don't expect any press coverage about the search, for two reasons:

1. The Washington media has given up on I-AA football. Even Howard gets scant coverage in the Post these days, and the paper is really foccusing on Maryland and Virginia Tech for the dwindling subscriptions of suburban readers.

2. But even if they did cover I-AA, Georgetown conducts searches in stealth. Last year's finalists for the athletic director position, for example, were never disclosed.

That's really too bad. I'm having a lot of fun tracking down all the coverage on who Lehigh's new HC is going to be. I wish the DC papers were doing the same for you, DFW.

On a total side note, but related, how do you think DC-area papers cover G'Town, Howard, Morgan St., Towson vs. how the New York papers cover Fordham, Columbia, Hofstra, Wagner? The NY Times would have the occasional article, but other than that there's just no air for I-AA. It's really too bad too, since I feel strongly that with the right push, marketing, or whatever, I-AA football should be more popular there.

I've often thought that if you could get just one paper - not the flagship for the city - to cover the games well, then you'd have something. Like the Washington Times, or the New York Post.

ngineer
December 22nd, 2005, 10:42 PM
That's really too bad. I'm having a lot of fun tracking down all the coverage on who Lehigh's new HC is going to be. I wish the DC papers were doing the same for you, DFW.

On a total side note, but related, how do you think DC-area papers cover G'Town, Howard, Morgan St., Towson vs. how the New York papers cover Fordham, Columbia, Hofstra, Wagner? The NY Times would have the occasional article, but other than that there's just no air for I-AA. It's really too bad too, since I feel strongly that with the right push, marketing, or whatever, I-AA football should be more popular there.

I've often thought that if you could get just one paper - not the flagship for the city - to cover the games well, then you'd have something. Like the Washington Times, or the New York Post.

Well, at least you'd get the "right" coverage... ;) :D

eagle36
December 23rd, 2005, 09:15 AM
DFW You are so negative about Georgetown football Are you really a fan? The new athletic director is great and Georgetown is heading in the right direction. Let's support Mr. Muir, the athletes and the school!

Lehigh Football Nation
December 23rd, 2005, 09:36 AM
DFW You are so negative about Georgetown football Are you really a fan? The new athletic director is great and Georgetown is heading in the right direction. Let's support Mr. Muir, the athletes and the school!

http://www.hoyasaxa.com/sports/football.htm

That should answer the question "is DFW a fan". I'll leap to defend DFW - he cares immensely about G'Town - he set up this website (and has been running it for years, before there was a name for 'blogging').

I think most of his frustration comes from the lack of media coverage in the DC area for G'Town football in particular. The fact that it's a stealth campaign for choosing the HC isn't a bother to him it seems - it's just that the DC press ignores them and instead chooses to cover teams that are hundreds of miles away.

LBPop
December 23rd, 2005, 11:01 AM
DFW You are so negative about Georgetown football Are you really a fan?

DFW is beyond a fan. He puts real effort into being a Hoya football supporter as our Lehigh friend just noted. DFW never takes shots at the team or the coach. He cites the weak funding of football (a simple fact) and the weak coverage of I-AA football by local media. I don't know where he finds the time, but I am unbelievably grateful that he does. Spend a week reading his Hoya Saxa page and you will never doubt his loyalty or effort.

Keep it up DFW! :hurray: :beerchug:

Lehigh Football Nation
December 23rd, 2005, 11:18 AM
Could Benson have resigned to join Lembo at Elon? I have a crazy hunch that we're going to hear Benson's name on that Elon staff. The timing of his resignation is just too coincidental to Lembo's hiring at Elon.

LBPop
December 23rd, 2005, 11:35 AM
Could Benson have resigned to join Lembo at Elon? I have a crazy hunch that we're going to hear Benson's name on that Elon staff. The timing of his resignation is just too coincidental to Lembo's hiring at Elon.

Not the first time I have heard that. Of course, I hang out with some strange people... :rolleyes:

colgate13
December 23rd, 2005, 12:55 PM

Wouldn't surprise me one bit to hear of Benson as the D coordinator.

Pard4Life
December 23rd, 2005, 04:06 PM

I had an inkling that the above facility is not what Gerogetown planned. My own hunch was right... I dug this page out of the 2002 G'town media guide in my 'archieves'. What happened to the once grand designs for this stadium? I guess it goes to show you Georgetown is still not committed to football even after building their stadium. They short-changed their own designs.

Ok since I STILL don't know why the picture is not being displayed on in this window after I entered the link in the postcard box on the tool bar... here is the picure attached...

DFW HOYA
December 23rd, 2005, 04:17 PM
See edited post below.

Pard4Life
December 23rd, 2005, 04:30 PM
That still is the design.

Sorry... technical difficulties... the pictures are not the same, this one is two-tiers, looks like 15,000?

ngineer
December 23rd, 2005, 06:16 PM
Sorry... technical difficulties... the pictures are not the same, this one is two-tiers, looks like 15,000?

No, the designed capacity has always been in the 6-7,000 range from all the stuff I've read. They may have to tier the seats because they don't have much room to work with. I was down there last year and you felt they used a shoehorn to put that stadium in among those buildings.

ngineer
December 23rd, 2005, 06:17 PM
Wouldn't surprise me one bit to hear of Benson as the D coordinator.

Nor I. I always got the feeling Lembo and Benson were pretty chummy.

DFW HOYA
December 23rd, 2005, 08:12 PM
Georgetown's as-yet unnamed Multi Sport Facility (MSF) can only hold 4,500 seats because of the lack of available space around the building, as well as D.C. rules on square footage per available parking spot (and for those who have attended a game at Georgetown, you know how little parking there is.)

The following link chronicles the evolution of the plans going back almost eight years. Remember, what's there now will go away, except for the FieldTurf.

HoyaSaxa.com: Evolution of the MSF (http://www.hoyasaxa.com/sports/fb-msf.htm)

One of these designs was really nice, but too expensive:

http://www.hoyasaxa.com/sports/images/msf3_night.jpg

Pard4Life
December 24th, 2005, 01:55 PM
Georgetown's as-yet unnamed Multi Sport Facility (MSF) can only hold 4,500 seats because of the lack of available space around the building, as well as D.C. rules on square footage per available parking spot (and for those who have attended a game at Georgetown, you know how little parking there is.)

The following link chronicles the evolution of the plans going back almost eight years. Remember, what's there now will go away, except for the FieldTurf.

HoyaSaxa.com: Evolution of the MSF (http://www.hoyasaxa.com/sports/fb-msf.htm)

One of these designs was really nice, but too expensive:

http://www.hoyasaxa.com/sports/images/msf3_night.jpg

Wow, that is a really nice stadium. Too bad we could not see that one. But like you said, I guess politics and bueracracy, money got the better of grander designs.

Also, what do you mean by "what's there now will go away except the turf?" I thought the new stadium was completed and in use?

I was comparing the present stadium with older designs with criticism because I was thinking that if Georgetown made the I-AA playoffs in the future, they would not have much of a chance to host a game with a small facility. DC is a great destination, but a small facility makes bidding on the games more arduous. Less fans, less financial return. Thanks for the link.

DFW HOYA
December 24th, 2005, 02:37 PM
Also, what do you mean by "what's there now will go away except the turf?" I thought the new stadium was completed and in use?

The stands constructed this year are temporary until construction can begin on building out the facility. No permanent construction was completed other than the field. The reason? Well...money. The entire project must be donor financed because the school doesn't have money for new capital projects.

More on the field at this link.
http://www.thehoya.com/news/100705/news2.cfm

Lehigh Football Nation
December 27th, 2005, 07:31 PM
Tom Clark just resigned as Catholic University's (D-III) head coach. Think we may be hearing that he will be hired as Georgetown's new coach? Catholic is a D.C. school, and there's a big opening there.... interesting.

Either that, or he'll be joining Lembo at Elon. But I smell Clark may be in at Georgetown?

ngineer
December 27th, 2005, 09:20 PM
Tom Clark just resigned as Catholic University's (D-III) head coach. Think we may be hearing that he will be hired as Georgetown's new coach? Catholic is a D.C. school, and there's a big opening there.... interesting.

Either that, or he'll be joining Lembo at Elon. But I smell Clark may be in at Georgetown?

Sounds like you're on to something there Sherlock...While you're at it, what have you found from skulking around Taylor Gym?? :cool: ;)

colgate13
December 28th, 2005, 08:06 AM
I'll be surprised if they go the D III route. AD is a Notre Dame guy; I think he wants a Division I coach for the job of taking GTown to the next level.

Fordham
December 28th, 2005, 09:12 AM
Here's a wild card/long shot - Brian White, former OC at Wisconsin. After doing a GA stint at Fordham, he did the same at ND for Holtz and may have ties with the current Gtown AD (not certain) from that time.

Many of us wanted him pretty badly at Fordham but he indicated he wasn't interested. I don't know exactly why he wasn't interested in our job. If it was because he doesn't want a I-AA job (he was the other finalist for the Temple job that went to Golden) or because he didn't want to go specifically to a non-scholly I-AA job, then Gtown clearly has no shot.

However, if it was for some Fordham-specific reason (e.g. - bad vibes w/admin, facilities, etc.), they may have a shot at him. Plus, he may have thought back in December that he'd have I-A spot by now and, with a young family to provide for, he may be more open now than he was then to take a PL or I-AA job. Of course, if this is the case, he'd be more likely to go Lehigh given the commitment to the sport, facilities, budget, etc. However, it's only the possible relationship with the AD at G-town that makes me mention it as a remote possibility.

I'm sure that to make it happen the AD would have to prove to him that they're committed to f-ball and will increase the budget, etc., but if anyone can get him to listen to that story, I'm sure it's someone who has a prior relationship with him.

It would be tough to take as a Fordham fan to see him accept this but I throw it out there as a longshot.

Brian White - Bio (http://www.uwbadgers.com/sport_news/fb/bios/coaches_bio.aspx?bios_id=White_Brian_fb&sport=fb)

LBPop
December 28th, 2005, 09:44 AM
I would be stunned to hear that Tom Clark was offered the job. While he has a fine reputation, I agree with "13" and believe that the AD has his sights on someone from a I-A program.

I'm sensing a real change in Georgetown athletics. For example, today's Washington Post ran 3 or 4 inches announcing the new VOLLEYBALL coach at Georgetown. The AD was quoted in that article and I would wager that he is largely responsible for it. Normally, the Post would have thrown in a line or two about such a hire--if that.

colgate13
December 28th, 2005, 09:52 AM
I'm sensing a real change in Georgetown athletics.

Full PL Membership? :confused:

:p

Sorry, this day back at work is pointless! How's this for entitlement: I want the whole week between XMass and New Year's off!

Fordham
December 28th, 2005, 09:55 AM
Sorry, this day back at work is pointless! How's this for entitlement: I want the whole week between XMass and New Year's off! If you manage to add an extra week or two vacation at other times during the year, you can let your boss know that as a % of total vacation time it's really not that big a deal.

LBPop
December 28th, 2005, 10:49 AM
Full PL Membership? :confused:

Not likely, but I would love it personally. I think Georgetown basketball will always be affiliated with one of the top B-Ball conferences in the country. No offense to some of the quality PL basketball programs, but as long as there is a viable Big East, that's where they will likely remain.

Eaglegus2
December 28th, 2005, 07:27 PM
I know that rumors are running rampant around the selection of a new HC for Georgetown.

Has anyone heard if the names of John Pate or Mike Sewak has been mentioned? I have heard that they have applied for the job of HC.

ngineer
December 28th, 2005, 07:58 PM
I know that rumors are running rampant around the selection of a new HC for Georgetown.

Has anyone heard if the names of John Pate or Mike Sewak has been mentioned? I have heard that they have applied for the job of HC.

Not familiar with Pate, but I'd be stunned if Sewak was interested--for some of the same reasons I'd be stunned if he was a serious candidate for the Lehigh job. Same restrictions on recuiting and money he didn't have to deal with in the SoCon. There'd be some culture shock to become acclimated.

colgate13
December 28th, 2005, 08:03 PM
The bigger question though is, does he need a job?

Need money - coach! Lower expectations at G'Town for sure.

ngineer
December 28th, 2005, 08:10 PM
The bigger question though is, does he need a job?

Need money - coach! Lower expectations at G'Town for sure.

You got a point 13. If he needs the job it's a no-lose proposition. Either he turns the Hoyas into 'contendas' or they remain as they are. His name would provide some short-term juice into the program to say the least.

Bulldog1
December 28th, 2005, 08:25 PM
From what I'm hearing Sewak is interested in Lehigh, Pate in Georgetown.

Pate went to high school in the area - Northern Virginia somewhere. He would be a GREAT fit for Georgetown.

Baldy
December 28th, 2005, 10:04 PM
From what I'm hearing Sewak is interested in Lehigh, Pate in Georgetown.

Pate went to high school in the area - Northern Virginia somewhere. He would be a GREAT fit for Georgetown.

Pate was an Army Brat, but is from Aberdeen, MD.

colgate13
December 29th, 2005, 07:23 AM
From what I'm hearing Sewak is interested in Lehigh

If he is, he has to be dropping the option. I cannot in a million years see Lehigh dropping their offensive style.

ngineer
December 29th, 2005, 11:48 AM
If he is, he has to be dropping the option. I cannot in a million years see Lehigh dropping their offensive style.

Very much agreed. Strong passing has been Lehigh's M.O. for 35 years. If Sewak is willing to accept that and the other restrictions previously discussed it could work--but he'd have to make a convincing argument to Dean Sterrett...

DFW HOYA
December 30th, 2005, 02:24 PM
Tom Clark just resigned as Catholic University's (D-III) head coach. Think we may be hearing that he will be hired as Georgetown's new coach? Catholic is a D.C. school, and there's a big opening there.... interesting. Either that, or he'll be joining Lembo at Elon. But I smell Clark may be in at Georgetown?

Clark is going to Liberty as a coordinator and this was reported in the Richmond Times Dispatch before Benson resigned.

The bottom line is that the search committee is not going to be discussing names to anyone, and the Washington press wouldn't cover it even if they did. It's likely that the selection will be someone no one expected but which will be well received.