PDA

View Full Version : Who goes to WaGrizz?

Geaux25
November 17th, 2009, 02:31 PM
Preface: This post is made under the ASSUMPTION that SFA, McNeese, and Montana all win this weekend.

The selection committee tends to SLC schools up there in the first round, however this year could be different for a couple of reasons.

1. Even though SFA would get the AQ, McNeese has a better body of work and would draw better than the 'Jacks.

2. The way the selection committee goes about handing out seeds will determine where SFA goes. For instance, if the Grizz get the 1 seed, SFA will probably go AppSt., Villanova, or UNI.

Finally, I'm boggled as to why so many McNeese fans assume we will head to WaGrizz. To me, the NCAA will make more $ (which we know that's what they're all about) with Montana and McNeese hosting.

By the way, I'm a long time lurker and first time poster. How about welcoming me to AGS with a solid thread? xthumbsupx

Pitz
November 17th, 2009, 02:35 PM
South Dakota St seems to be a logical choice.

Having said that, it will probably be New Hampshire.

GolfingGriz
November 17th, 2009, 02:41 PM
I'm not really sure at all, but I think it depends on if EWU can make the field. If they do that will put seven "west" teams in the bracket(UM, EWU, SFA, McNeese, UNI, SDSU, and SIU). In this case I think they will match the first six up and then send EIU across Illinois to SIU. I would guess this then leaves EWU @ McNeese, SDSU @ UM, and SFA @ UNI.

If EWU doesn't make the field then things get more confusing because the committee will still send EIU to SIU. Then I'm guessing SFA @ UM, SDSU @ McNeese, and UNI will host or travel a CAA team hopefully UNH;).

Still a week of football left, but considering McNeese, SFA, and UM all win this is my best guess depending on what EWU does.

Geaux25
November 17th, 2009, 02:48 PM
I agree...

McNeese and Montana would draw ($) too much to send the Pokes to WaGrizz...(sigh of relief)

But it's not like we've played like world beaters at home during the playoffs anyway. Plus, I'm sure SDSU would love some payback from last season.

If I had it my way as a Cowboy fan, I would want McNeese and SFA in the same bracket and hope both win so we can get another shot at the Lumberjacks this season, except this time in the Hole.

fltheadgriz
November 17th, 2009, 03:00 PM
I have a gut feeling it will end up being Liberty, if they get in, that goes to WaGrizz

UNH Fanboi
November 17th, 2009, 03:03 PM
I have a gut feeling it will end up being Liberty, if they get in, that goes to WaGrizz

Don't you think Liberty would be the obvious matchup for the winner of W&M-Richmond?

fltheadgriz
November 17th, 2009, 03:07 PM
I do think that, but we are talking pairings here by the committee and sometimes there is a lot of not so obvious pairings that happens.

Geaux25
November 17th, 2009, 03:09 PM
In my opinion, it will be SFA...

That's my opinion because I assume that Eastern Wash will win this weekend and that will send them to Lake Charles.

WrenFGun
November 17th, 2009, 03:17 PM
I'm not really sure at all, but I think it depends on if EWU can make the field. If they do that will put seven "west" teams in the bracket(UM, EWU, SFA, McNeese, UNI, SDSU, and SIU). In this case I think they will match the first six up and then send EIU across Illinois to SIU. I would guess this then leaves EWU @ McNeese, SDSU @ UM, and SFA @ UNI.

If EWU doesn't make the field then things get more confusing because the committee will still send EIU to SIU. Then I'm guessing SFA @ UM, SDSU @ McNeese, and UNI will host or travel a CAA team hopefully UNH;).

Still a week of football left, but considering McNeese, SFA, and UM all win this is my best guess depending on what EWU does.

Huh, this is a good post, but I don't think that would work...UNH, Richmond, W&M and 'Nova would all be in the other bracket, which would mean that the committee would have to ignore regionalization in order to make it work. It's more likely that they'll stick with this model and ship either UNH or W&M (likely UNH) out West.

I think you're probably looking at a East Side Bracket of Villanova/Holy Cross, Richmond/Elon, App. State/SC State, McNeese State/W&M or UNH.

The Western Bracket will probably be Montana/SFA, SDSU/EWU, SIU/EIU, UNH or W&M/UNI.

Yuck.

UNH Fanboi
November 17th, 2009, 03:18 PM
If EWU makes the playoffs, there will be 8 "west" teams, including EIU. That would seem perfect creating an 8-team western bracket. HOWEVER, I think the committee will send UNH out west and put one of the western teams in the eastern bracket. If the committee tries to leave all the western teams in one bracket, it hamstrings the eastern bracket matchups because the 4 CAA teams would all be together and they can't play each other in the 1st round. Who knows though.

Geaux25
November 17th, 2009, 03:28 PM
The group of 16 will be very strong this weekend assuming all the powers hold serve in the last week of the regular season.

The committee will have their hands full trying to get people in the right places because so many teams are evenly matched. A couple of playoff teams are gonna feel robbed about matchups while some bubble teams will be able to make a solid argument if they are left out.

JMUNJ08
November 17th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Too many west coast teams!!!! west coast BIAS!!!!! xbawlingx

At least 1 (UNH/W&M/UR) will be heading to the west bracket. Got to make sure CAA is hogging the semi'sxcoolx

Welcome to AGS Geaux25!!!!:)

GrizFanStuckInUtah
November 17th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Too many west coast teams!!!! west coast BIAS!!!!! xbawlingx

At least 1 (UNH/W&M/UR) will be heading to the west bracket. Got to make sure CAA is hogging the semi'sxcoolx

Welcome to AGS Geaux25!!!!:)

Well, they made Montana and Weber play in the quarters last year, no reason why they can let you guys play each other there. xrulesxxpeacex

Silenoz
November 17th, 2009, 04:50 PM
#_ Montana
SFA

McNeese
MSU/EWU

WrenFGun
November 17th, 2009, 04:50 PM
1. Villanova
Holy Cross

New Hampshire
South Carolina State

Appalachian State
William and Mary

4. Richmond
Elon

------------

2. Southern Illinois
Eastern Illinois

McNeese State
Eastern Washington

UNI
Stephen F. Austin

SDSU
3. Montana

---------

This was extremely difficult but I put a lot of work-time research into this. First, the East: 'Nova and HC are locks. I think the committee would like both Appalachian State and SC. State to host, and that works if you matchup the Richmond/William and Mary loser up with Appalachian State in the first round. It does not work if you do that with SC State. I initially had New Hampshire slated for Appalachian State since W&M is better, but alas, W&M is not a regional partner with SC State but is with Appalachian State. That can be adjusted if the committee has changed it's requirements to 500 miles instead of 400.

In the "Western" Bracket, EIU/SIU is a no-brainer. I have them playing the McNeese State/E. Washington winner because I don't believe UNI is technically a regional partner for SIU, while they are for SDSU on the off-change that SDSU beats Montana. Might as well take a shot at a regional chance if it happens. Tough break for SDSU but I think McNeese will take in more at home than SDSU will.

Curious about what others think about this.

Kabooom
November 17th, 2009, 04:58 PM
I didn't realize Eastern Illinois was a "Western team"......

Is the continental divide in the Appalachian Mountains?

I need to go back and check the validity of my Geography Degree.

I guess one needs to remember that the Appalachian Mountains probably are the continental divide on Planet FCS...

This is not my beautiful house....
This is not my beautiful wife...

WrenFGun
November 17th, 2009, 04:59 PM
Well...the rest of the teams are on the East Coast, so..

Kabooom
November 17th, 2009, 05:03 PM
If EWU makes the playoffs, there will be 8 "west" teams, including EIU. That would seem perfect creating an 8-team western bracket. HOWEVER, I think the committee will send UNH out west and put one of the western teams in the eastern bracket. If the committee tries to leave all the western teams in one bracket, it hamstrings the eastern bracket matchups because the 4 CAA teams would all be together and they can't play each other in the 1st round. Who knows though.

I guess one needs to remember that the Appalachian Mountains xeyebrowxprobably are the continental divide on Planet FCS...

Kabooom
November 17th, 2009, 05:07 PM
]

Originally Posted by UNH Fanboi

I guess one needs to remember that the Appalachian Mountains xeyebrowxprobably are the continental divide on Planet FCS...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When Hell freezes over ....I'll Ski there too!

When the Northwest Passage melts, I'll Surf there also...

And out in The Great Ride Open.....Cainville Utah..You can bury me there...

UNH Fanboi
November 17th, 2009, 05:10 PM

Hence the quotation marks in my post

Kabooom
November 17th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Hence the quotation marks in my post

FanBoi.....My whole point.

With the current FCS geography, every inadequacy make sense

Due to EIU"s being a ...."Western Team".....maybe it would be smart for the Big Sky to invite them into the Big Sky Conf., seeing that they're a "Western Team" and all...Maybe it would help strengthen the Big Sky's GPI from more of a Sissy West Coast conf. style to say a more....credible East coast xsmiley_wixconference for gods sake...

F.Y.I...Eastern Illinois.....I'd take exception with the NCAA....just for labeling you with other ""WESTERN"" teams..You don't want to be associated with western teams, and get pooped on now do ya?

Screamin_Eagle174
November 17th, 2009, 05:26 PM
In my opinion, it will be SFA...

That's my opinion because I assume that Eastern Wash will win this weekend and that will send them to Lake Charles.

I agree. I think SFA goes to Missoula and EWU heads back down to Lake Charles circa 2007. xnodx

rcny46
November 17th, 2009, 05:39 PM
I've been engaged in a little wishful thinking,hoping that Lafayette makes the field so UNH doesn't have to leave the region at least for the first round.I'm sure that notion will go down in flames on Sunday though.

GolfingGriz
November 17th, 2009, 08:31 PM
1. Villanova
Holy Cross

New Hampshire
South Carolina State

Appalachian State
William and Mary

4. Richmond
Elon

------------

2. Southern Illinois
Eastern Illinois

McNeese State
Eastern Washington

UNI
Stephen F. Austin

SDSU
3. Montana

---------

This was extremely difficult but I put a lot of work-time research into this. First, the East: 'Nova and HC are locks. I think the committee would like both Appalachian State and SC. State to host, and that works if you matchup the Richmond/William and Mary loser up with Appalachian State in the first round. It does not work if you do that with SC State. I initially had New Hampshire slated for Appalachian State since W&M is better, but alas, W&M is not a regional partner with SC State but is with Appalachian State. That can be adjusted if the committee has changed it's requirements to 500 miles instead of 400.

In the "Western" Bracket, EIU/SIU is a no-brainer. I have them playing the McNeese State/E. Washington winner because I don't believe UNI is technically a regional partner for SIU, while they are for SDSU on the off-change that SDSU beats Montana. Might as well take a shot at a regional chance if it happens. Tough break for SDSU but I think McNeese will take in more at home than SDSU will.

You and I agree on all of the first and second round matchups, but disagree on the seeds. If Montana and SIU win on saturday they need to be #1 and #2 because they will be the only teams without an FCS loss. That being said I agree with what you have written but would change the seeds to #1 Montana, #2 SIU, #3 Villanova, and #4 Richmond assuming they can win on Saturday.

uofmman1122
November 17th, 2009, 09:32 PM
You and I agree on all of the first and second round matchups, but disagree on the seeds. If Montana and SIU win on saturday they need to be #1 and #2 because they will be the only teams without an FCS loss. That being said I agree with what you have written but would change the seeds to #1 Montana, #2 SIU, #3 Villanova, and #4 Richmond assuming they can win on Saturday.Having SIU #1 and Montana #2 basically kills his east/west brackets, though.

AFAIK, the brackets aren't regionalized, just the first round games, meaning that second round travel isn't worried about as much as first round travel.

Two close East coast teams could have to play the winner of two close west coast teams in the quarters, meaning a colossal trip for one of those teams.

FargoBison
November 17th, 2009, 09:36 PM
1. Villanova
Holy Cross

New Hampshire
South Carolina State

Appalachian State
William and Mary

4. Richmond
Elon

------------

2. Southern Illinois
Eastern Illinois

McNeese State
Eastern Washington

UNI
Stephen F. Austin

SDSU
3. Montana

---------

I'd swap EWU/McNeese and UNI/SFA. EWU would be a clear regional partner for Montana.

Screamin_Eagle174
November 17th, 2009, 10:51 PM
I'd swap EWU/McNeese and UNI/SFA. EWU would be a clear regional partner for Montana.

Conference members cannot be pitted up against one another in the first round. xrulesx

FargoBison
November 17th, 2009, 11:15 PM
Conference members cannot be pitted up against one another in the first round. xrulesx

I never said they would play each other, I told him to swap his games so the bracket would look like this...

EIU vs SIU
SFA vs UNI

EWU vs McNeese St
SDSU vs Montana

That would make more sense regionally.

Geaux25
November 17th, 2009, 11:19 PM
I agree. I think SFA goes to Missoula and EWU heads back down to Lake Charles circa 2007. xnodx

Oh Lord, don't remind me.

We figured our home field would be a HUGE advantage after ya'll had to fly across country to come down to the Hole.

What happens?

Mother Nature packs EWU's weather with them on the plane. Lows in the upper 30s with misty rain...what an awful night.

Great game plan that night by the EWU coaching staff.

Shellin
November 17th, 2009, 11:58 PM
Great game plan that night by the EWU coaching staff.

Too bad that same coaching staff hasn't been able to do anything right since 2007 xbawlingx

Back on topic, I think pretty much anyone's guess here could come true, it's a given we'll have a Southland or MVC (but probably a Southland) come to Missoula after Thanksgiving.

Geaux25
November 18th, 2009, 12:17 AM
Wasn't there a coaching change there after '07?

I have never been to Montana so I would love to make that trip...just not in the first or second round if possible. xsmiley_wix

Shellin
November 18th, 2009, 12:25 AM
Wasn't there a coaching change there after '07?

Ya, Paul Wulff and Co. drove about an hour and a half south down to WSU and have struggled (and that's putting it very nicely) since then. EWU appears to have made a solid hire in bringing Beau Baldwin back.

Walkon79
November 18th, 2009, 06:42 PM
#_ Montana
SFA

McNeese
MSU/EWU

I might have to go to Lake Charles this time! My brothers had a blast there in 2002. Best tailgate in FCS!!