PDA

View Full Version : HBCU fans. Do you remember this?...

SuperEagle
December 20th, 2005, 10:44 AM
The game was back in the 80's. And it was when ESPN used to do the small college Thursday night games. Well, one year Grambling was playing South Carolina State (i think). Anyway, SCSU was lining up for the game winning FG. I remember the kicker was huge. A big old boy that look like an OL. Anyway, it was a long field goal. Maybe 45-50 yards (if I remember right). Anyway, the kid shanks it bad as time expires. But wait, penalty for roughing the kicker. It now becomes like a 35 yarder. Kid lines up and shanks it again. But wait, Grambling was offsides. Kid gets another try. Lines up, shanks it again. But wait, Grambling was offsides again. Then the kid gets a chip shot field goal from close in and makes it. One of the funniest things I have ever seen. It was crazy. I may be wrong on the length of all the FG's but man those penalties and that guy getting all those chances were hillarious. What a bizarre ending. Does anyone remember this game?
Anyone want to share any other bizarre endings you've seen?

SUjagTILLiDIE
December 21st, 2005, 12:51 AM
The game was back in the 80's. And it was when ESPN used to do the small college Thursday night games. Well, one year Grambling was playing South Carolina State (i think). Anyway, SCSU was lining up for the game winning FG. I remember the kicker was huge. A big old boy that look like an OL. Anyway, it was a long field goal. Maybe 45-50 yards (if I remember right). Anyway, the kid shanks it bad as time expires. But wait, penalty for roughing the kicker. It now becomes like a 35 yarder. Kid lines up and shanks it again. But wait, Grambling was offsides. Kid gets another try. Lines up, shanks it again. But wait, Grambling was offsides again. Then the kid gets a chip shot field goal from close in and makes it. One of the funniest things I have ever seen. It was crazy. I may be wrong on the length of all the FG's but man those penalties and that guy getting all those chances were hillarious. What a bizarre ending. Does anyone remember this game?
Anyone want to share any other bizarre endings you've seen?
I remember. I think the first kick was like 50 yards. Don't know what Gram was thinking. :nonono2:

HIU 93
December 21st, 2005, 09:47 AM
I do remember. Crazy finishes? How about SEVEN overtimes in the Circle City Classic against FAMU in 1996? That game was entirely TOO LONG.

SuperEagle
December 21st, 2005, 12:10 PM
glad you guys remembered that game. that thing was crazy.
other bizarre finishes to me would include this years Texas "take a knee" State game and Furman's "go for 2" game. Crazy endings

Bulldog87
December 21st, 2005, 09:19 PM
The kicker mentioned is my frat brother and fellow BULLDOG William Wrighten now a HS coach here in SC. I'll tell him that his exploits still live on in infamy here on AGS. He'll get a kick out of this one as he still gets ribbed about this "ESPN Classic moment." today.