PDA

View Full Version : Birmingham takes the next step to become the football Capital of The South again!

SU Jag
November 16th, 2009, 05:31 PM
Today the City of Birmingham signed a deal to relocate the Gulf Coast Classic between Southern and Alabama State to Legion Feild. The city is also speaking to Alabama A&M and Tuskegee about playing in Birmingham the 1st weekend in October. Add that with a city that already has 2 of the largest HBCU classics (Labor Day Classic and the Magic City), and the Papa Johns.com Bowl which will include an SEC team this year. The city is also pushing for the Heritage Bowl if the game comes back in 2010.

Sly Fox
November 16th, 2009, 05:33 PM
Yeah, I think Atlanta & New Orleans would each have a tad stronger argument.

Have they upgraded Legion Field lately?

JMUNJ08
November 16th, 2009, 05:41 PM
For HBCU, it will be the capital. PapJohns.com Bowl doesn't intrigue me as much as the bowls at NO and Hotlanta.

SU Jag
November 16th, 2009, 05:43 PM
Yeah, I think Atlanta & New Orleans would each have a tad stronger argument.

Have they upgraded Legion Field lately?

The advantage that Birmingham has over those two cities is 1) The city is a melting pot of HBCU graduates. 8 SWAC teams, 6 MEAC schools, 6 SIAC schools, and 4 CIAA schools have kids on their rosters from the Birmingham metro area. 2) The people there are football crazed, you dont get the same thing in Atlanta and NO. 3) Location, location, location. 4) The people of those other cities have not put pressure on their local governments to bring more HBCU football to their area, the people in Birmingham have.

813Jag
November 16th, 2009, 05:45 PM
I take it they're rename the game and everyone will get their money. This game really needs to be a home and home.

DSUrocks07
November 16th, 2009, 05:45 PM
For HBCU, it will be the capital. PapJohns.com Bowl doesn't intrigue me as much as the bowls at NO and Hotlanta.

Yeah, a central location for these games will do wonders for the local economy and increase the notoriety of these games. It would become the "Chatty" of HBCUs...for better and worse.

DSUrocks07
November 16th, 2009, 05:47 PM
I take it they're rename the game and everyone will get their money. This game really needs to be a home and home.

If the athletic departments of the SWAC would realize this and make the proper investment in facilities, it would be.

SU Jag
November 16th, 2009, 06:12 PM

As you know the SU alumni base in Birmingham is HUGE, so is the alumni base of Bama State. The two alumni groups got together along with a few booster from ASU and had a big gathering at City Hall a few weeks ago about moving the game to Birmingham. There was once talk about the Turkey Day Classic being moved to the city. That talk died off but it sback full swing, there was a big article about the Turkey Day Classic being moved to Birmingham. Also the UAB folks(all 6 of themxrolleyesx) are pissed because this will limit the amount of home games the Blazers can play on Saturdays. Due to the fact the UAB is near the bottom in attendance in FBS they reaaly dont have a leg to stand on.

813Jag
November 16th, 2009, 06:53 PM
I don't doubt the turnout can be good, but they need to take advantage of the new facility they've been waiting so long to get. Hopefully they'll have more home games next year.

Moving this game is coming at the right time, because a game with 8K attendance is horrible.

ThompsonThe
November 16th, 2009, 07:12 PM
Today the City of Birmingham signed a deal to relocate the Gulf Coast Classic between Southern and Alabama State to Legion Feild. The city is also speaking to Alabama A&M and Tuskegee about playing in Birmingham the 1st weekend in October. Add that with a city that already has 2 of the largest HBCU classics (Labor Day Classic and the Magic City), and the Papa Johns.com Bowl which will include an SEC team this year. The city is also pushing for the Heritage Bowl if the game comes back in 2010.

Just so Birmingham doesn't try to take away Boone, N.C. 's title of "Football Capital of the World".

Seriously, Birmingham does need to do something about their stadium.

SU Jag
November 16th, 2009, 07:12 PM
I don't doubt the turnout can be good, but they need to take advantage of the new facility they've been waiting so long to get. Hopefully they'll have more home games next year.

Moving this game is coming at the right time, because a game with 8K attendance is horrible.

The SU/Bama State in Birmingham will be bigger than it could have ever been in Mobile. The city rolls out the red carpet for schools when they come to the city. Mobile never did that.

Bigmoneymike
November 19th, 2009, 01:26 PM
I dont think jag fans are that enthused about traveling to either mobile or bham for the game. I agree the game should be home and home. SU needs to stop catering to these other schools and start playing more home games since the stadium is finished. While I'm on my soapbox WTF is up with the jags schedule this year. 3 open weeks. Sigh

AppStsGr8
November 19th, 2009, 06:35 PM
My grandfather bought 50 yard line seats at Legion Field when it was built. I'm glad it will still be put to good use. It was a sad day when the Iron Bowl left Legion Field.

SU Jag
November 19th, 2009, 08:09 PM
I dont think jag fans are that enthused about traveling to either mobile or bham for the game. I agree the game should be home and home. SU needs to stop catering to these other schools and start playing more home games since the stadium is finished. While I'm on my soapbox WTF is up with the jags schedule this year. 3 open weeks. Sigh

I agreexnodx