PDA

View Full Version : To the TRUE Elon fans

WVAPPmountaineer
November 16th, 2009, 08:51 AM
For those who stayed to the bitter end you are to be congratulated and considered a true fan - Also, I feel for you because you are in a minority. I got to my seat about 45 minutes before kick-off and there were only about 40 students in the Elon section - 2 hours before gametime at The Rock they open the gates and thousands of students rush the stadium to get their prime seats. Unfortunately many Elon fans have become MinnieMe Tarheel type fans - "Arrive late - leave early" - Your current president doesn't care about anything but $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and has turned the once great Elon College into the Elon Country Club ----

Your team was ranked 6th in the nation with the #1 defense and I feel they are on their way to a playoff bid and your fans left in the 3rd and 4th quarter???? - That must show a great deal to the players who work their butts off for months to get to this point only to see their "fans" depart the game with over a quarter to play ----

To all you "Fighting Christians" out there you remember the days when the fan support and student involvement were top rate even if the game was played at a city stadium 5 miles from campus ----

Guess the rich folks had dinner reservations at The Club ----

Elon Fightin' Christians
November 16th, 2009, 09:21 AM
You're not far off. It has definately moved in that "Country Club" direction the last 10 years or so. Its a shame.

All of the old Elon College gritty personality is gone. President Lambert has tried to turn it into mini-UNC or mini-Duke or mini-UVA.

OL FU
November 16th, 2009, 09:25 AM
You're not far off. It has definately moved in that "Country Club" direction the last 10 years or so. Its a shame.

All of the old Elon College gritty personality is gone. President Lambert has tried to turn it into mini-UNC or mini-Duke or mini-UVA.

Welcome to the wine and cheese crowdxthumbsupx

Elon Fightin' Christians
November 16th, 2009, 09:27 AM
Welcome to the wine and cheese crowdxthumbsupx

NO Thanks. I'll stick with smuggling bottles of Jim Beam into the stadium....

mlbowl
November 16th, 2009, 09:33 AM
I'll stick with smuggling bottles of Jim Beam into the stadium....

Red Stagxnodxxnodxxnodx

OL FU
November 16th, 2009, 09:40 AM
NO Thanks. I'll stick with smuggling bottles of Jim Beam into the stadium....

Can I sit with youxconfusedx

gophoenix
November 16th, 2009, 10:03 AM
For those who stayed to the bitter end you are to be congratulated and considered a true fan - Also, I feel for you because you are in a minority. I got to my seat about 45 minutes before kick-off and there were only about 40 students in the Elon section - 2 hours before gametime at The Rock they open the gates and thousands of students rush the stadium to get their prime seats. Unfortunately many Elon fans have become MinnieMe Tarheel type fans - "Arrive late - leave early" - Your current president doesn't care about anything but $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and has turned the once great Elon College into the Elon Country Club ----

Your team was ranked 6th in the nation with the #1 defense and I feel they are on their way to a playoff bid and your fans left in the 3rd and 4th quarter???? - That must show a great deal to the players who work their butts off for months to get to this point only to see their "fans" depart the game with over a quarter to play ----

To all you "Fighting Christians" out there you remember the days when the fan support and student involvement were top rate even if the game was played at a city stadium 5 miles from campus ----

Guess the rich folks had dinner reservations at The Club ----

Look Mr. Elon turned App fan. I understand your logic around why you follow App. It's the reason my dad follows Elon instead of ECU.

But, you know nothing of what the current or recent alumni have gone through with Elon and Elon football. You're the one not even supporting your alma mater.

And apparently, you're so new to being an App fan that you don't remember the games just a short time ago when the stands would clear out when Furman or GSU had a descent lead at halftime.

So here's an idea, STFU.

People like you are the epitome of being a bandwagon App fan. So, until you're ready to follow your alma mater again, don't you dare sit here and lecture anyone about how the rest of us Elon fans should act.

And the UNC comparison is laughable. Maybe for football but App fans for football are equivalent to UNC fans in basketball. The whine is you win, whine if you lose types. Bandwagoners galore. More interested in belittling opponents and pissing people off than the real outcome of games. Just like UNC fans during basketball season.

Skjellyfetti
November 16th, 2009, 10:05 AM
Look Mr. Elon turned App fan. I understand your logic around why you follow App. It's the reason my dad follows Elon instead of ECU.

But, you know nothing of what the current or recent alumni have gone through with Elon and Elon football. You're the one not even supporting your alma mater.

And apparently, you're so new to being an App fan that you don't remember the games just a short time ago when the stands would clear out when Furman or GSU had a descent lead at halftime.

So here's an idea, STFU.

Gophoenix is going to have a hard time containing himself for the next year until Elon gets another shot at App. The anger is very deep. xlolx

OldSouth
November 16th, 2009, 10:36 AM
Now you didi it... you ruffled some phoenix feathers now.

Edge316007
November 16th, 2009, 10:39 AM

So here's an idea, STFU.

People like you are the epitome of being a bandwagon App fan. So, until you're ready to follow your alma mater again, don't you dare sit here and lecture anyone about how the rest of us Elon fans should act.

And the UNC comparison is laughable. Maybe for football but App fans for football are equivalent to UNC fans in basketball. The whine is you win, whine if you lose types. Bandwagoners galore. More interested in belittling opponents and pissing people off than the real outcome of games. Just like UNC fans during basketball season.

Can I, a "true" App fan, criticize Elon? It was likely the last home game of the year and the last of a senior class that included Terrell Hudgins. It was pretty embarrassing to see the stands so empty later in the game. Kudos to those who did stay, and they did get loud when Hudgins scored, but there weren't many of them.

Whatever his allegiance, it doesn't make what he said any less true.

gophoenix
November 16th, 2009, 10:41 AM
Can I, a "true" App fan, criticize Elon? It was likely the last home game of the year and the last of a senior class that included Terrell Hudgins. It was pretty embarrassing to see the stands so empty later in the game. Kudos to those who did stay, and they did get loud when Hudgins scored, but there weren't many of them.

Whatever his allegiance, it doesn't make what he said any less true.

Hudgins didn't score.

Edge316007
November 16th, 2009, 10:50 AM
My mistake, two thoughts rolled into one.

whoanellie
November 16th, 2009, 11:00 AM
Elon's colors are Maroon and Gold.
Or As We wine buffs might say:
Cabernet & Chardonnay.
Sure Elon's demographics are different than Apps.
Elon bears no signifigance to the College I graduated from in the 70's.
Is it better? Yes by a lot!!!!
Is the fan base as passionate as ASU's ?
We just do not have numbers of app has and
our Local area just can bring in so many folks. 8,000 is a good crowd for us
We had over 14k for last Saturday's game.
The atmosphere was electric at kick-off. Yea We lost.
App was that good. That's history.
We are developing that solid foundation but most of our grads are
taking their degrees and headed to major population centers.

Our social culture and locations are more like the Grove at Old Miss.
Students came out in mass and the old Alums still sit on their ass.
They bought their seats so they use them.
I'm very proud of our program and how far they have come.
I hope they finish strong this weekend.

jus10asu
November 16th, 2009, 11:01 AM
It was sad....I know it was a hard pill to swallow for many Elon fans but that was the most ridiculous flood of fans leaving the stadium I've ever seen. I know App has had problems with people leaving early but half of the Elon crowd left before the 4th quarter. I know most all Elon supporters on this board are probably not the ones who left but I was embarrassed for you. Oh and tell your sound operators to tone it down a notch or twelve. That was ear drum damaging loud and I'm 24 years old and can deal with loud noise. They need to get a new soundtrack of songs besides jock jams and sesame street as well. I hope Elon does well and represents the Socon in the playoffs to shut the mouths these CAA teams. Good Luck to you.

Oh and one last thing...Jerry Rice was better!!

PhoenixMan
November 16th, 2009, 11:04 AM
I stayed until the very end. I wanted to see what Cadet could do, thought it might make me feel better :-) Serioulsly, I agree that those fans should not have left. Elon still has a chance for a great season...just have to win next week. A loss like that, with turnovers being a big key, is NOTHING to hang your head about. App St. is, as always, the real deal.

jus10asu
November 16th, 2009, 11:06 AM
Also wanted to comment that I heard some Elon alums (40+ years old) in their Lexus SUV yelling at ASU fans from as they were walking back to their cars to eat $h-t and die. Goes to show...money doesn't buy class. Just an observation I thought was interesting.

Skjellyfetti
November 16th, 2009, 11:09 AM
Elon's colors are Maroon and Gold.
Or As We wine buffs might say:
Cabernet & Chardonnay.
Sure Elon's demographics are different than Apps.
Elon bears no signifigance to the College I graduated from in the 70's.
Is it better? Yes by a lot!!!!
Is the fan base as passionate as ASU's ?
We just do not have numbers of app has and
our Local area just can bring in so many folks. 8,000 is a good crowd for us
We had over 14k for last Saturday's game.
The atmosphere was electric at kick-off. Yea We lost.
App was that good. That's history.
We are developing that solid foundation but most of our grads are
taking their degrees and headed to major population centers.

Our social culture and locations are more like the Grove at Old Miss.
Students came out in mass and the old Alums still sit on their ass.
They bought their seats so they use them.
I'm very proud of our program and how far they have come.
I hope they finish strong this weekend.

This makes a great poem. ;)

PhoenixPhan06
November 16th, 2009, 11:09 AM
It was sad....I know it was a hard pill to swallow for many Elon fans but that was the most ridiculous flood of fans leaving the stadium I've ever seen. I know App has had problems with people leaving early but half of the Elon crowd left before the 4th quarter. I know most all Elon supporters on this board are probably not the ones who left but I was embarrassed for you. Oh and tell your sound operators to tone it down a notch or twelve. That was ear drum damaging loud and I'm 24 years old and can deal with loud noise. They need to get a new soundtrack of songs besides jock jams and sesame street as well. I hope Elon does well and represents the Socon in the playoffs to shut the mouths these CAA teams. Good Luck to you.

We all know what Jerry Rice did in the NFL, but how exactly was Jerry Rice better in college than Terrell Hudgins? There aren't too many records left to back up that statement of yours.

PhoenixSupreme
November 16th, 2009, 11:13 AM

As a 2008 grad, I can definitely see the change from when I entered in 2004 and today. My friends and I were discussing this at homecoming. Apparently from what I hear, Elon now requires you to submit a picture with your application so that they can weed out the "sketchy" people, and to be honest, the students have looked more uniform and preppy now than in the past.

WVAPPmountaineer
November 16th, 2009, 11:17 AM

So here's an idea, STFU.

First of all ol brilliant one you know nothing about who and when I supported anyone - everything I stated is factual and if you can't face the facts don't attack the messenger - I have been around Elon probably longer than you have been alive - If you are a TRUE Elon fan then my comments applauded you, so if you want to attack anyone then go after the late-comers and early leavers because they are the band-wagon people here - I challenge you to go find Elon alumni from the 60s, 70s, 80s and ask them if today's Elon Country Club U is anything like the Elon College Fighting Christians!!!!

When graduating from Elon do they make you pledge to "honor and behold this college for as long as you live"???? - Hell, people can't even do that with their spouses - however when I said those words to my wife 40 years ago, I meant them so never question what REAL LOYALTY MEANS TO ME!!!!

ElonPride
November 16th, 2009, 11:19 AM
Also wanted to comment that I heard some Elon alums (40+ years old) in their Lexus SUV yelling at ASU fans from as they were walking back to their cars to eat $h-t and die. Goes to show...money doesn't buy class. Just an observation I thought was interesting.

I've certainly never seen that out of any of our fans at football games.........

Saint3333
November 16th, 2009, 11:22 AM
I'm not sure the Elon support (attendance wise) was greater at this game vs. previous home games this year. Average attendance prior to the ASU game was 8,500. On average I'd assume 1,000 visiting fans come to games, I may be wrong. If just over 14K were at Elon this weekend and by all reports (including Elon's reports) there were 6K ASU fans in attendance, only 500 additional Elon fans showed up for the biggest game of their FCS lives?

jus10asu
November 16th, 2009, 11:23 AM
We all know what Jerry Rice did in the NFL, but how exactly was Jerry Rice better in college than Terrell Hudgins? There aren't too many records left to back up that statement of yours.

Haha...I'm just messin with ya....honestly I as expecting a little more of a show, and he didn't really pick up much YAK like I always see ASU receivers do (For Example: Matt Cline) Although it was only one game so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

WVAPPmountaineer
November 16th, 2009, 11:27 AM
"We all know what Jerry Rice did in the NFL, but how exactly was Jerry Rice better in college than Terrell Hudgins? There aren't too many records left to back up that statement of yours."

I agree that Hudgins topped all of Jerry Rice's college records and should be given the utmost credit for those accomplishments - however Hudgins couldn't hold Richard McGeorge's jock!!!!

biggie
November 16th, 2009, 11:28 AM
I've certainly never seen that out of any of our fans at football games.........
Didn't see the Lexus people, but guys standing in the back of a truck talking s--t to every opposing fan that walked by in the Firehouse Field left a lot to be desired. But I'd say that's normal for 8-15 drunk guys.

Only thing that got me was the 10-15 y/o kids with their parents, yelling "App State Sucks" as we were walking to the game. Parents seemed proud.

WUTNDITWAA
November 16th, 2009, 11:34 AM
My daughter, the one who finally got to see the Yankees win a World Series (but won't have to worry about the Dallas Cowboys or GSU Eagles for a while), knows "Marshall sucks," but she knows not to say anything close to that in public.

Cincy App
November 16th, 2009, 11:50 AM

We were treated well by the Elon fans we met. I would rather not get into a spitting contest that "our fans are better than your fans". Certain ASU fans have had their ugly moments. Every school has them. It will also be interesting to see what happens when ASU experiences a rough year. I'll still be there but I'm sure many will jump off the bandwagon quickly.

Back2theROCK!
November 16th, 2009, 12:05 PM

So here's an idea, STFU.

And the UNC comparison is laughable. Maybe for football but App fans for football are
equivalent to UNC fans in basketball. The whine is you win, whine if you lose types.
Bandwagoners galore. More interested in belittling opponents and pissing people off than the real outcome of games. Just like UNC fans during basketball
season.

spoken like a true bandwagon fan! Didn't you read the first few lines?? If you did then you would have noticed that he said congrats to the "true" elon fans.

And if you are a true fan then there is noway you can deny the changes that he mentioned. My wife worked in the Elon athletic department about 5 years ago and from what she has said it has even gotten worse since then.

I will say, elon has some great players and have had a great season so far ( gophoenix, focus, that was a compliment) now just take care of Samford and you're in the playoffs.xpeacex

mountaineer in Cane Land
November 16th, 2009, 12:17 PM
As much as I bleed the colors, of black and gold, I do not think we have any reason to rip Elon on fans leaving early considering that all season long half of the App fans at home games are gone at halftime. I live in South Florida, and made it to the GSU game this year. I was excited to see a App game for the first time in years, but I was really disappointed that at halftime there probably wasn't 12,000 fans left. After the game I talked to other App fans, and this, unfortuantely, has become the norm this year. From what it sounds like Elo/App both share a big problem. keeping the fans in the seats for the entire ballgame, no matter what the score.

WVAPPmountaineer
November 16th, 2009, 12:38 PM
As much as I bleed the colors, of black and gold, I do not think we have any reason to rip Elon on fans leaving early considering that all season long half of the App fans at home games are gone at halftime. I live in South Florida, and made it to the GSU game this year. I was excited to see a App game for the first time in years, but I was really disappointed that at halftime there probably wasn't 12,000 fans left. After the game I talked to other App fans, and this, unfortuantely, has become the norm this year. From what it sounds like Elo/App both share a big problem. keeping the fans in the seats for the entire ballgame, no matter what the score.

While I understand, your statement is not totally comparable to the Elon situation - First, APP has played several games in miserable weather and much of the fan base has 3,4,5 hour drives after the game and secondly, I was referring to this one game - tabbed as the biggest game in Elon history (which is a falsehood in itself), a battle of top teams in the country with much at stake and there was a mass exodus on a beautiful day - How many APP fans left the JMU playoff game a few years ago when a loss looked imminent????

PhoenixSupreme
November 16th, 2009, 12:45 PM

I remember back when the Elon team was under Seagraves and Hamilton, the students would stay at halftime just to hear the marching band play, then promptly leave. It makes me feel good as a marching band alum that people are more interested in hearing the marching band than seeing the game, but it must also sting for the football team in the process.

appirishmen
November 16th, 2009, 12:48 PM

So here's an idea, STFU.

as a "true" app fan ( parents are alums...i am a sr.... and was born and raised wearing black and gold) i was surprised that when the gates open, the App fans were the first to fill the stadium. the Elon fans didnt all come until the game had already started. to me, that was shocking. I was not surprised that a lot of Elon fans left early. Growing up in Burlington and working elon concessions for the HS band, i saw this a lot. all i have to say is good luck to Elon the rest of the season.

Aho_Old_Guy
November 16th, 2009, 12:50 PM
~~ xeekx ~~

Definitely a lot of whine with that cheese xlolx

WVAPPmountaineer
November 16th, 2009, 01:11 PM
"I remember back when the Elon team was under Seagraves and Hamilton, the students would stay at halftime just to hear the marching band play, then promptly leave. It makes me feel good as a marching band alum that people are more interested in hearing the marching band than seeing the game, but it must also sting for the football team in the process."

Back in the day when Jack White was the Elon band director they were great - the marching band wasn't large but they had great musicians (many played professionally) and a Jazz band that toured the world - Jack White would have had the crowd Saturday at a frenzy level!!!!

PhoenixSupreme
November 16th, 2009, 01:14 PM
Back in the day when Jack White was the Elon band director they were great - the marching band wasn't large but they had great musicians (many played professionally) and a Jazz band that toured the world - Jack White would have had the crowd Saturday at a frenzy level!!!!

In the latest Elon alumni quarterly magazine, there was an article on the marching band's centennial year, and there was good emphasis on Jack White's tenure. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.

gophoenix
November 16th, 2009, 01:27 PM
First of all ol brilliant one you know nothing about who and when I supported anyone - everything I stated is factual and if you can't face the facts don't attack the messenger - I have been around Elon probably longer than you have been alive - If you are a TRUE Elon fan then my comments applauded you, so if you want to attack anyone then go after the late-comers and early leavers because they are the band-wagon people here - I challenge you to go find Elon alumni from the 60s, 70s, 80s and ask them if today's Elon Country Club U is anything like the Elon College Fighting Christians!!!!

When graduating from Elon do they make you pledge to "honor and behold this college for as long as you live"???? - Hell, people can't even do that with their spouses - however when I said those words to my wife 40 years ago, I meant them so never question what REAL LOYALTY MEANS TO ME!!!!

Put on your maroon and gold or STFU. That's all there is to it. if you aren't at Elon cheering on your alma mater, then YOU are part of the problem.

And that is factual, don't attack the messenger.

And your loyalty is well documented on the MMB.

OL FU
November 16th, 2009, 01:53 PM
My daughter knows "Marshall sucks,"

xthumbsupx for the daughterxlolx

elon77
November 16th, 2009, 02:05 PM
I am a product of the Red Wilson and Jerry Tolley years at Elon. We loved Elon football when I was there and now with a chillin at Elon I still rather enjoy watching them play. I being a " true fan" would hop in the car and drive to places like Newberry SC, Carson Newman, Catawaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaba, and other great happening spots in the South. BUT, we always went and always had a great time no matter who they played. We thought Elon was the greatest when we were there in the 70"s, but we didn't know any better. Is it better now? Looking at it as an Alum with a kid there I think it is. I'm not sure I would like it as much now as I did in the 70"s , but the kids there now seem to like it. As far as fans yelling you suck, I had some yell at me Elon sucks, but they did have a smile on there face and I figured someone somewhere else was yelling ASU sucks so there was no need to get my pants in a bunch. I wish all the Elon fans had stayed to the bitter end, but what the hell it was still a great Socon football game. ASU has great fans and maybe one day all Elon's fans will be as passionate as the folks from Boone. Good luck the rest of the way ASU I'm off to enjoy some potted meat and a Pabst Blue Ribbon can't seem to acquire a taste for wine and cheese just yet.

WVAPPmountaineer
November 16th, 2009, 02:23 PM
"Put on your maroon and gold or STFU. That's all there is to it. if you aren't at Elon cheering on your alma mater, then YOU are part of the problem.

And your loyalty is well documented on the MMB. "

Wow GoPhoenix sounds like you have a real problem with the truth - I don't ever remember attacking you nor any Elon people personally like you are doing to me - Are you so upset that Elon took a pounding that you are attacking me or are you just looking to place blame on others???? Yes, I am an Elon College graduate and I supported the college for many many years until they decided that all that mattered to them was $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and turned a wonderful school into an elitist group of country clubbers - You evidently have no idea of how many loyal Elon College people they have alienated over the years - And yes I am an APPALACHIAN STATE FAN as both my daughter and son-in-law are graduates of ASU - I'm allowed, I believe, to cheer for the college where I paid tuition

AND FOR ANY OTHER PARENTS OUT THERE WHO SON/DAUGHTER ATTENDED ANOTHER COLLEGE THAN YOURS DID YOU NOT FEEL A CLOSE LINK TO HIS/HER CHOSEN COLLEGE????

I will guarantee you one thing, If Scott Riddle had attended ASU, his Dad, a great Elon player would be rooting for APP - GoPhoenix you just have no clue - Wake up man before it's too late!!!!

WVAPPmountaineer
November 16th, 2009, 02:31 PM
"I am a product of the Red Wilson and Jerry Tolley years at Elon. We loved Elon football when I was there "

Elon77 - I absolutely agree with your assessment of the old days - Elon always had a traveling crowd to C-N, L-R, Newberry, PC and others - been to all of them - when we played at Burlington Memorial the stadium was packed and NO, I never left early in those days either - I agree that I wouldn't fit it at Elon now - it was much different then ----

PhoenixMan
November 16th, 2009, 02:39 PM
I grew up following Elon football, graduated from Elon, and I consider myself a true Elon fan. I was there early, and stayed until the horn sounded. I can't speak for what anyone else does. By the way, if that WAS the biggest game in Elon history, it isn't now. This week is the biggest game in Elon history. Win we are win, lose, it's another colossal meltdown....and I mean COLOSSAL!! BEAT SAMFORD!

gophoenix
November 16th, 2009, 02:52 PM
"Put on your maroon and gold or STFU. That's all there is to it. if you aren't at Elon cheering on your alma mater, then YOU are part of the problem.

Wow GoPhoenix sounds like you have a real problem with the truth - I don't ever remember attacking you nor any Elon people personally like you are doing to me - Are you so upset that Elon took a pounding that you are attacking me or are you just looking to place blame on others???? Yes, I am an Elon College graduate and I supported the college for many many years until they decided that all that mattered to them was $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and turned a wonderful school into an elitist group of country clubbers - You evidently have no idea of how many loyal Elon College people they have alienated over the years - And yes I am an APPALACHIAN STATE FAN as both my daughter and son-in-law are graduates of ASU - I'm allowed, I believe, to cheer for the college where I paid tuition

AND FOR ANY OTHER PARENTS OUT THERE WHO SON/DAUGHTER ATTENDED ANOTHER COLLEGE THAN YOURS DID YOU NOT FEEL A CLOSE LINK TO HIS/HER CHOSEN COLLEGE????

I will guarantee you one thing, If Scott Riddle had attended ASU, his Dad, a great Elon player would be rooting for APP - GoPhoenix you just have no clue - Wake up man before it's too late!!!!

I have enough of a clue to say STFU.

I said I understand that you changed your allegiance. I understand why. I am not questioning that.

And I also said if YOU aren't going to follow your alma mater, and YOU are going to go to a game and pull against the school you went to and played for. Then you have ABSOLUTELY NO business commenting on what the fans of the schools are doing or where they are going.

So, step off your elitist soap box and go put your black and gold back on and leave Elon to the REAL Elon fans.

PhoenixMan
November 16th, 2009, 03:01 PM

Hold on just a minute. You are an Elon graduate, and pulling for App St. vs Elonxnonono2x As for the university changing, that's called progress. I guess you would be happier if they were still NAIA and accepted SAT scores in the single digits. I grew up around the Elon campus in the early 70's and graduated from there in the 80's. I am very proud of how this school has grown and progressed athletically and otherwise. You should be also. As for Riddle's dad pulling for App St. if Scott was there....he wouldn't, because Scott would be a back-up, and he would be pissed at J. Moore for lack of playing time.

WVAPPmountaineer
November 16th, 2009, 03:06 PM
Wow GoPhoenix you have quite a vocabulary "STFU" - that is impressive ---- I never said I don't support nor follow my alma mater - I said they have changed and not for the better in my opinion - I would venture to guess that I have paid more money to Elon and seen more Elon athletic events than you - and if you can get the spur out of your butt and read the very first post - wait I will save you the time as here is the first sentence -

For those who stayed to the bitter end you are to be congratulated and considered a true fan

Elon is no longer at the top of my list, plain and simple - However you saying I don't have the right to discuss fans leaving early is just plain idiotic - I stayed until the very end, as always, win or lose - DID YOU????

WVAPPmountaineer
November 16th, 2009, 03:15 PM
Hold on just a minute. You are an Elon graduate, and pulling for App St. vs Elonxnonono2x As for the university changing, that's called progress. I guess you would be happier if they were still NAIA and accepted SAT scores in the single digits. I grew up around the Elon campus in the early 70's and graduated from there in the 80's. I am very proud of how this school has grown and progressed athletically and otherwise. You should be also. As for Riddle's dad pulling for App St. if Scott was there....he wouldn't, because Scott would be a back-up, and he would be pissed at J. Moore for lack of playing time.

First, let me say, I know Alan White personally and I have told him point blank that he is the most influential and important person in the total transition of Elon - he did more positive things for Elon than anyone in the history of the college and he did it the right way with honor and integrity - My references are to the culture of Elon which has changed and for me and many others not for the better - I'm sure many of my classmates and Elon friends wouldn't take too kindly to your unfounded accusations that all of us older grads had single digit SATs - sounds just like something Leo Lambert would say ----

AppAlum96
November 16th, 2009, 03:35 PM

My father is an ECU alum, and he was pulling for APP as much as ECU in that first game of the season. He actually pulled for APP over ECU a few years ago when they played in basketball. So I know he agrees with you. He also pulls for NC State, my brother's alma mater.

PhoenixPhan06
November 16th, 2009, 03:48 PM
I grew up following Elon football, graduated from Elon, and I consider myself a true Elon fan. I was there early, and stayed until the horn sounded. I can't speak for what anyone else does. By the way, if that WAS the biggest game in Elon history, it isn't now. This week is the biggest game in Elon history. Win we are win, lose, it's another colossal meltdown....and I mean COLOSSAL!! BEAT SAMFORD!

Please, please let us beat Samford!! Don't think I can take another Selection Sunday letdown.

PhoenixMan
November 16th, 2009, 05:05 PM
First, let me say, I know Alan White personally and I have told him point blank that he is the most influential and important person in the total transition of Elon - he did more positive things for Elon than anyone in the history of the college and he did it the right way with honor and integrity - My references are to the culture of Elon which has changed and for me and many others not for the better - I'm sure many of my classmates and Elon friends wouldn't take too kindly to your unfounded accusations that all of us older grads had single digit SATs - sounds just like something Leo Lambert would say ----

Dr. White was my mite league football coach, and a mentor during my college years at Elon. I didn't say everyone had single digit SAT's. But, it is a fact that most of those kids now are no worse than top 10% of their HS class. It used to be very easy to get in (thank God, or I wouldn't be where I am today). I would be curious to know what about the culture has changed for the negative????

nms1987
November 16th, 2009, 06:04 PM
One Elon sorority scheduled their formal during the football game.
Shameful

Mountaineer#96
November 16th, 2009, 06:36 PM
Shameful

Wow..............SHAME!!!!

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<almost as bad as this banner

proasu89
November 16th, 2009, 08:36 PM
Shameful

We noticed that as we were headed to our car. xconfusedx

PhoenixSupreme
November 16th, 2009, 08:42 PM
We noticed that as we were headed to our car. xconfusedx

Yeah, the sororities will do that. I remember that one sorority (which I have hated them for this) sponsored one of our basketball games. The whole sorority literally left the b-ball game 5 minutes after it started, and my fellow pep band members and I gave them hell for it.

AppMan
November 16th, 2009, 08:55 PM
I am a product of the Red Wilson and Jerry Tolley years at Elon. We loved Elon football when I was there and now with a chillin at Elon I still rather enjoy watching them play. I being a " true fan" would hop in the car and drive to places like Newberry SC, Carson Newman, Catawaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaba, and other great happening spots in the South. BUT, we always went and always had a great time no matter who they played. We thought Elon was the greatest when we were there in the 70"s, but we didn't know any better. Is it better now? Looking at it as an Alum with a kid there I think it is. I'm not sure I would like it as much now as I did in the 70"s , but the kids there now seem to like it. As far as fans yelling you suck, I had some yell at me Elon sucks, but they did have a smile on there face and I figured someone somewhere else was yelling ASU sucks so there was no need to get my pants in a bunch. I wish all the Elon fans had stayed to the bitter end, but what the hell it was still a great Socon football game. ASU has great fans and maybe one day all Elon's fans will be as passionate as the folks from Boone. Good luck the rest of the way ASU I'm off to enjoy some potted meat and a Pabst Blue Ribbon can't seem to acquire a taste for wine and cheese just yet.

Some of you may find this hard to believe, but I was in the stands that cold December Saturday back in 1980 cheering on the Fighting Christians as they beat Northeastern Oklahoma to win the NAIA National Championship.

gophoenix
November 17th, 2009, 05:36 AM
Wow GoPhoenix you have quite a vocabulary "STFU" - that is impressive ---- I never said I don't support nor follow my alma mater - I said they have changed and not for the better in my opinion - I would venture to guess that I have paid more money to Elon and seen more Elon athletic events than you - and if you can get the spur out of your butt and read the very first post - wait I will save you the time as here is the first sentence -

For those who stayed to the bitter end you are to be congratulated and considered a true fan

Elon is no longer at the top of my list, plain and simple - However you saying I don't have the right to discuss fans leaving early is just plain idiotic - I stayed until the very end, as always, win or lose - DID YOU????

I have stayed for every Elon game, win or lose, despite how bad the blowout is. I have never left a game early.

But I go back to my comment, put up or shut up. As I said, I understand why you don't pull for Elon. It's why my dad would pull for Elon over ECU. So, if you aren't going to pull for you team, ever, and do nothing but criticize.... then don't lecture anyone who actually does. You have no room to talk.

WVAPPmountaineer
November 17th, 2009, 06:41 AM
Some of you may find this hard to believe, but I was in the stands that cold December Saturday back in 1980 cheering on the Fighting Christians as they beat Northeastern Oklahoma to win the NAIA National Championship.

I was there as well - great game by The Fightin Christians that day!!!! I was also there the following year when they completed the Back to Back National Championships ----

elon77
November 17th, 2009, 07:12 AM
I was there as well - great game by The Fightin Christians that day!!!! I was also there the following year when they completed the Back to Back National Championships ----

The QB on that team worked for me while he was in high school. Those 2 teams were actually pretty good.

jedmis10
November 17th, 2009, 07:32 AM

So here's an idea, STFU.

xbawlingx Waahhhh. Cut your crying crap. You just got belted plain and simple!!

WVAPPmountaineer
November 17th, 2009, 07:32 AM
The QB on that team worked for me while he was in high school. Those 2 teams were actually pretty good.

John Bangley - he was the difference maker and a good guy as I coached with him for a couple of years - Until I saw Kevin Richardson, I had always said Bobby Hedrick was the best RB I had ever seen - by that I mean a guy who got every inch every time he touched the ball ----

And the TooToo's were ballbusters!

I talked with Coach Tolley right before the APP/Mich game and I said "you know your teams in 80-81 were like the App teams of today - they were good enough to play teams in upper divisions and beat them" - Of course, he agreed, but I did mean what I said about both ----

WVAPPmountaineer
November 17th, 2009, 07:36 AM
GoPhoenix says "I have stayed for every Elon game, win or lose, despite how bad the blowout is. I have never left a game early."

Then, if you remember my very first sentence, I applaud you as a TRUE FAN

GoPhoenix says"But I go back to my comment, put up or shut up. As I said, I understand why you don't pull for Elon."

Gee, since you can read my mind - tell me this - how do you I DON'T pull for Elon 10 times a year????

PhoenixMan
November 17th, 2009, 07:39 AM
John Bangley - he was the difference maker and a good guy as I coached with him for a couple of years - Until I saw Kevin Richardson, I had always said Bobby Hedrick was the best RB I had ever seen - by that I mean a guy who got every inch every time he touched the ball ----

I talked with Coach Tolley right before the APP/Mich game and I said "you know your teams in 80-81 were like the App teams of today - they were good enough to play teams in upper divisions and beat them" - Of course, he agreed, but I did mean what I said about both ----

I was trhere also. 12 years old, and loving it. Don't forget Phil Renn, the kicker who scored the only points of the game that day for a 3-0 Elon win.

Back2theROCK!
November 17th, 2009, 08:28 AM

Interesting…..has anyone else noticed that WVAPPmountaineer seems to know A LOT more about Elon Football history than GoPhoenix???
Seems like WVAPPmountaineer is entitled to his opinion about a school that he once thought very highly of. xcoffeex

And btw-the argument of if you don’t pull for your alma mater then you are part of the problem is just ridiculous!!
xtwocentsx

gophoenix
November 17th, 2009, 09:59 AM
Interesting…..has anyone else noticed that WVAPPmountaineer seems to know A LOT more about Elon Football history than GoPhoenix???
Seems like WVAPPmountaineer is entitled to his opinion about a school that he once thought very highly of. xcoffeex

And btw-the argument of if you don’t pull for your alma mater then you are part of the problem is just ridiculous!!
xtwocentsx

Go troll somewhere else.

gophoenix
November 17th, 2009, 10:00 AM
GoPhoenix says "I have stayed for every Elon game, win or lose, despite how bad the blowout is. I have never left a game early."

Then, if you remember my very first sentence, I applaud you as a TRUE FAN

GoPhoenix says"But I go back to my comment, put up or shut up. As I said, I understand why you don't pull for Elon."

Gee, since you can read my mind - tell me this - how do you I DON'T pull for Elon 10 times a year????

How many games have you been to where you pulled for Elon since your kids went to App?

WVAPPmountaineer
November 17th, 2009, 10:37 AM
How many games have you been to where you pulled for Elon since your kids went to App?

Every one of them expect when they played APP - Why would I pull for GSU or Citadel or Furman???? - Just in the last 5 years I have gone to Elon AWAY games at Furman, The Citadel, A&T, Wofford, and of course Appalachian - What's your point???? you have clearly shown you have a problem and decided to attack me ---- YOU LOST!!!!

gophoenix
November 17th, 2009, 11:02 AM
Every one of them expect when they played APP - Why would I pull for GSU or Citadel or Furman???? - Just in the last 5 years I have gone to Elon AWAY games at Furman, The Citadel, A&T, Wofford, and of course Appalachian - What's your point???? you have clearly shown you have a problem and decided to attack me ---- YOU LOST!!!!

No, I just have a problem with you. You are an Elon fan second. And attack those who follow Elon first. You have no say in the matter, you changed your allegiance. If you want to complain about Elon fans, then become one. Put up or shut up. End of story.

PhoenixPhan06
November 17th, 2009, 11:07 AM
Since I've been a part of Elon, our fans have always showed up for only portions of the game regardless of the outcome. Believe it or not, the fanbase has gotten better about sticking it out since I graduated in '06 but I think a large part of that has to do with the recent success we've experienced on the field.

The fact is that we're still getting used to this whole winning football team idea and it will take a little more time that we would all hope to change that engrained losing culture from our recent grads/alumni fanbase. I wish every fan was as committed and passionate as myself and the select few on here, but it has to start somewhere. The fact that we lost to a great team on Saturday doesn't change how I feel about our program and how proud and excited I am that we have a winning product on the field.

With that said, BEAT SAMFORD!!

AppStsGr8
November 17th, 2009, 11:19 AM
I rode the shuttle from the Firehouse Fields to the stadium with a busload of App fans. I was embarassed by one App fan talking smack to the shuttle driver who showed a great deal of class by not taking the bait.

I also listened to and ignored quite a bit of foul language from Elon folks as we walked back to the car. No App fan in my hearing responded to those obnoxious Elon fans.

In one day, I saw very gracious and very obnoxious fans from both schools. The gracious fans from both more than outweighed the obnoxious. We all have our fans we'd like to hide and our fans we'd like to honor.

That said, I look forward to the day when more Elon fans can cheer their team through a whole big game regardless of the outcome. I got the distinct impression that many Elon fans came for a Riddle-Hudgins show and not for the game as a whole. Good luck in Birmingham, Phoenix.

GO APP!

AppAlum96
November 17th, 2009, 11:26 AM
I think WVAPP is perfectly justified. My dad is the same way. He still loves his alma mater (ECU) but he considers the alma maters of his two sons to be on the same level as a fan. When they meet on the field, he pulls for whichever team has the most to gain from the win. He pulled for ECU against App this year, because he knew that App losing wouldn't affect their NC title hopes, but that an ECU loss would be devastating. At the same time, he would've been happy for App if they'd won. A few years ago, he pulled for App's basketball team over ECU because App had a good team that year, and legitimate NCAA hopes, where ECU did not. I think any parent, particularly ones who pay their kids' tuition, feels that their kids' school is also their own. That's how it is with my dad, and I'm sure others feel that way.

WVAPPmountaineer
November 17th, 2009, 11:55 AM
GoPhoenix ----

YOU LOST - both the game and this argument!!!!

WVAPPmountaineer
November 17th, 2009, 11:58 AM
GoPhoenix ----

YOU LOST THE ARGUMENT !!!! - go cry somewhere else

PhoenixMan
November 17th, 2009, 12:05 PM
If the game had been close, or Elon had pulled it off, it would have been much more obnoxious. App fans backed off....the scoreboard was doing the talking. If Elon had won, I know our fans would have been bad (and I would have probably been one of them)

proasu89
November 17th, 2009, 01:00 PM
If the game had been close, or Elon had pulled it off, it would have been much more obnoxious. App fans backed off....the scoreboard was doing the talking. If Elon had won, I know our fans would have been bad (and I would have probably been one of them)

Appreciate the honestyxlolx

SideLine Shooter
November 17th, 2009, 01:00 PM

You are probably right. For the App fans it was probably like the afterglow of sex.xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxeyebrowx

PhoenixMan
November 17th, 2009, 01:04 PM
You are probably right. For the App fans it was probably like the afterglow of sex.xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxeyebrowx

From the App fans that I saw, they would be as close as they get to knowing what that afterglow feels like........:p (couldn't help myself)

ElonAlum
November 17th, 2009, 01:27 PM
As an Elon alum I must say that i was AMAZED by the game on Saturday! If you would have told me that we were going to have 14 thousand plus people at that stadium I would have called you nuts! I

I graduated in 05 and played Tennis for Elon so im not only an Alum but also a former student athlete.

First off Elon IS Elon.....it IS a country club and has been that way for a long time. Do i like the snotty kids that go there? No and i hated them when i was there. However, not all Elon students and alumni are snotty so dont judge us all as a whole. I like to wear my jeans and Tshirt and drink bourbon! I know for a fact that EVERY school has at least some snotty CC style kids....yes even App!

I can honestly say that im not surprised that the much smaller App fan section was AT LEAST twice as loud as the Elon section. This is because i think Elon fans dont really know how to cheer since winning is pretty new. I also think we are pretty skeptical since we sucked for so long. And App St HAS won THREE national championships so that will probably excite a large fan base haha!

I was around for the Seagraves era and the Hamilton "experiment"......and GOD were we BAD! I remember watching a game with just a couple thousand fans in the stands and realizing that my old high school team could have beaten the snot out of Elon. I think that Lembo is a hell of a coach and Im damn proud to not only have Elon be in the SoCon but winning games in the SoCon!

Im very happy to see Elon advancing in the rankings, academically and athletically. Every time i go back i see a new beautiful building and meet great new students who are working hard at there education. Elons image has changed greatly over the years......but i feel it is totally for the better! We have become a MUCH better school academically over the years and that is VERY important.

Lastly, I was VERY impressed with watching Armanti Edwards play.....he is even better to watch in real life! Not only is a he fast but so damn explosive! No wonder App St has won some many championships with play makers like him.

Elon STILL isn't quite there yet but we have come a LONG way! I cant wait to see us in a couple more years!

Now lets beat Samford and see what comes in the playoffs for us this year! I think we can surprise a few teams!

biggie
November 17th, 2009, 01:37 PM
First off Elon IS Elon.....it IS a country club and has been that way for a long time. Do i like the snotty kids that go there? No and i hated them when i was there. However, not all Elon students and alumni are snotty so dont judge us all as a whole. I like to wear my jeans and Tshirt and drink bourbon! I know for a fact that EVERY school has at least some snotty CC style kids....yes even App!

I can honestly say that im not surprised that the much smaller App fan section was AT LEAST twice as loud as the Elon section. This is because i think Elon fans dont really know how to cheer since winning is pretty new. I also think we are pretty skeptical since we sucked for so long. And App St HAS won THREE national championships so that will probably excite a large fan base haha!
I know that there are 'snotty' rich kids that go/went to Elon, but where do they all hide? Do they go back up North? Most of the Elon grads I've known were good and down-to-earth. Have a friend that played baseball and he acts like an App person (we've converted him on most game days, helps his wife went to App).

And wouldn't call the App section 'much smaller'. Estimated 6k for App, so 8k for Elon on Saturday.

The enrollment/student base is probably the biggest difference for growing a fan base. 15k vs 5.5k(?) enrollment and App having most of theirs from NC or very close means plenty of fans around. Not sure Elon's base could grow that quickly if they start succeeding on the same level as App did a few years ago.

ElonAlum
November 17th, 2009, 01:45 PM
No they all went to Charlotte.....i swear to god EVERY TIME I go visit my best friend their i run into a few of those snotty a** holes!

The ones who have lost there jobs in Charlotte moved home to Jersey, New York and Maryland. I just wish they would have stayed up there for college and not infested Elon. xlolx

I was in the grass and id say that the App section was more 5k to Elons 9k...either way it was damn impressive.

Elon will never have the fan base App has since enrollment is 6k total and many of their grads move out of NC. Id think that a majority of App grads would stay in NC or at least the southeast.

biggie
November 17th, 2009, 01:49 PM
Elon will never have the fan base App has since enrollment is 6k total and many of there grads move out of NC. Id think that a majority of App grads would stay in NC or at least the southeast.
We are all over, but mostly NC/SC.

http://www.alumni.appstate.edu/AlumniMap/framemap.htm

I thought most 'snotty rich kids' came from CLT/Lake Norman area in general? That's going to anger the CLT people. xsmiley_wix

ElonAlum
November 17th, 2009, 01:53 PM
No no my friend.....were talking about snotty rich kids from the north that invade the south and unfortunately Elon seems to attract a lot of them!

Thanks for the map....kinda figured it would look like that.

The Moody1
November 17th, 2009, 01:54 PM
Id think that a majority of App grads would stay in NC or at least the southeast.

So, you are saying that App grads are smarter than Elon grads. :D

ElonAlum
November 17th, 2009, 02:00 PM
Yep....pretty much! I came home to VA so at least i stayed in the south!

PhoenixSupreme
November 17th, 2009, 02:53 PM
[QUOTE=biggie;1468226
I thought most 'snotty rich kids' came from CLT/Lake Norman area in general? That's going to anger the CLT people. xsmiley_wix[/QUOTE]

ElonAlum is right about the "snotty" kids coming from up north...here's a breakdown of the highest state representation at Elon:

NC – 25%
NJ, MA – 9% each
MD, VA – 7% each
PA - 6%
CT, NY – 5% each

Waco Kid
November 17th, 2009, 03:01 PM
ElonAlum is right about the "snotty" kids coming from up north...here's a breakdown of the highest state representation at Elon:

NC – 25%
NJ, MA – 9% each
MD, VA – 7% each
PA - 6%
CT, NY – 5% each

That's a scary breakdown. Are you guys trying to become Duke Junior College? The folks in your admin department need to think long and hard about where the kids are coming from.

biggie
November 17th, 2009, 03:05 PM

NC – 25%
NJ, MA – 9% each
MD, VA – 7% each
PA - 6%
CT, NY – 5% each
I noticed that, when looking up on News 2 out of Greensboro to confirm what I thought. The sportscaster and another reporter both grad'd Elon and both are originally from Philly according to their bios. I actually though NC would be lower.

Elon Fightin' Christians
November 17th, 2009, 03:08 PM
We are all over, but mostly NC/SC.

http://www.alumni.appstate.edu/AlumniMap/framemap.htm

I thought most 'snotty rich kids' came from CLT/Lake Norman area in general? That's going to anger the CLT people. xsmiley_wix

Yes. That is more accurate. At least when I was there late 80's - early 90's. The rich snotty kids were mostly from the south and the kids from the north tended to be more middle-class, working class.

The past 10 years or so its gotten to be almost all spoiled rich kids.

PhoenixMan
November 17th, 2009, 03:09 PM
That's a scary breakdown. Are you guys trying to become Duke Junior College? The folks in your admin department need to think long and hard about where the kids are coming from.

Why would they think long and hard about where they come from? If they are up to par academically and otherwise, and can pay the high tuition costs, what difference should it make which state they are from? xeyebrowx

biggie
November 17th, 2009, 03:11 PM
Yes. That is more accurate. At least when I was there late 80's - early 90's. The rich snotty kids were mostly from the south and the kids from the north tended to be more middle-class, working class.

Yes, these days to live up to the rich kid rep, you have to go out of state to pay even more at some private school. $40k isn't enough, have to add out-of-state to that to be 'better'. NC kids probably go to SC and North kids come to NC.

gophoenix
November 17th, 2009, 03:20 PM

NC – 25%
NJ, MA – 9% each
MD, VA – 7% each
PA - 6%
CT, NY – 5% each

Is NC that high? When I was there it was more like 19% .... and OH was way up there in percentages.

PhoenixSupreme
November 17th, 2009, 03:23 PM
Is NC that high? When I was there it was more like 19% .... and OH was way up there in percentages.

When I entered in the Fall of '04, the top 5 states (in order) were NC, MD, VA, PA, and OH/FL (tie). So yeah, it has definitely changed over the past few years. I'm from southern VA by the way.

WVAPPmountaineer
November 17th, 2009, 03:51 PM
In the 60s and 70s there was a very high percentage from NC with VA being second - They were many from the Tidewater VA area because when Frederick College closed Elon accepted their transfer credits as is - For you young ones, in the ancient days, all transfer grades from another school went with you as a "C". no matter if you had all "As" ----

AppMan
November 17th, 2009, 06:57 PM
Why would they think long and hard about where they come from? If they are up to par academically and otherwise, and can pay the high tuition costs, what difference should it make which state they are from? xeyebrowx

Based on the comments from your fans here you're getting a bunch of spoiled punks from Jersey. If you want to be like Duke go for it!

ElonAlum
November 17th, 2009, 09:07 PM
When i was at Elon there were a fair number of kids from Ohio and Florida.....but i guess that has changed.

Same thing happend to U of Richmond. My father went there and it was pretty much ONLY Virginia kids. Now its hardly ANY kids from Virginia!

Fact is there are VERY few good schools in the north that are AFFORDABLE. Kinda sad to say that Elon is "affordable" with how much it costs!

WVAPPmountaineer
November 18th, 2009, 07:30 AM
If I'm not mistaken, I think Elon runs about $30,000 a year now ---- My parents didn't even make that much in an entire year ----

elon77
November 18th, 2009, 07:42 AM
xthumbsupxxtwocentsxxtwocentsx

I have a young lady there now, and trust me she is not snotty, rich or spoiled. Her mom and dad both went there, one being from Va. and the other from NC and we were quite pleased ( but broke) when she went there. The school is averaging 11000 applications per year and are taking app. 1200 per year. SO THEY ARE DOING SOMETHING RIGHT. What difference does it make where they come from as long as they keep their nose clean, keep their picture off the wall in the post office and make a contribution to society in a good way when they get out?
xtwocentsx Anddddddddddddddddddddd, I still think we will beat Sammy this weekend, go to the playoffs, travel to Bill and Mary's place, have a large crowd, and kick their colonial butts.xthumbsupx

elon77
November 18th, 2009, 07:44 AM
If I'm not mistaken, I think Elon runs about $30,000 a year now ---- My parents didn't even make that much in an entire year ----
Paid them this year..........................$33,000.00, and that's why I have to eat potted meat and drink Iron City beer.

biggie
November 18th, 2009, 08:16 AM
Paid them this year..........................$33,000.00
Ouch, just ouch.

jus10asu
November 18th, 2009, 08:18 AM
Paid them this year..........................$33,000.00, and that's why I have to eat potted meat and drink Iron City beer.

And just think...you could've gone to ASU for 2 1/2 years on that.:D

biggie
November 18th, 2009, 08:23 AM
And just think...you could've gone to ASU for 2 1/2 years on that.:D
Hell, I left ASU with $15k of loans for 3.5 years and 3 Summer schools. Granted I went for 2 other years, but family did cover that.

Elon Fightin' Christians
November 18th, 2009, 08:48 AM
xthumbsupxxtwocentsxxtwocentsx

I have a young lady there now, and trust me she is not snotty, rich or spoiled. Her mom and dad both went there, one being from Va. and the other from NC and we were quite pleased ( but broke) when she went there. The school is averaging 11000 applications per year and are taking app. 1200 per year. SO THEY ARE DOING SOMETHING RIGHT. What difference does it make where they come from as long as they keep their nose clean, keep their picture off the wall in the post office and make a contribution to society in a good way when they get out?
xtwocentsx Anddddddddddddddddddddd, I still think we will beat Sammy this weekend, go to the playoffs, travel to Bill and Mary's place, have a large crowd, and kick their colonial butts.xthumbsupx

Yeah... I didn't mean ALL of the students are that way but the demographic has certainly moved that direction.

The academics has changed for the better. A lot of us are glad because it makes our diplmas look better and better every year. I remember a lot of people that I went to school with would say they came to Elon because they "couldn't get in anywhere else".

$33k / year now?? Wow. IT was like $8k when I started in '88. One of the reasons I went there was because it was much cheaper than a nothern school I looked at.

BEAT SAMFORD!!! I hope they come out pissed off and take it to SAMMY. If they play W&M I may make the trip from NJ.

WVAPPmountaineer
November 18th, 2009, 08:50 AM

Wow - my hat is off to you - did your son/daughter consider any other schools? - Hey as a native of West BYGOD Virginia, Iron City Beer was champagne for us - the potted meat, not so much ----

Back2theROCK!
November 18th, 2009, 09:12 AM
Go troll somewhere else.

You just hate people with opinions don't you?xeekx

elon77
November 18th, 2009, 10:25 AM
Wow - my hat is off to you - did your son/daughter consider any other schools? - Hey as a native of West BYGOD Virginia, Iron City Beer was champagne for us - the potted meat, not so much ----

Yep, ECU, VT, JMU, UNCW, Lynchburg, U of R xeekx, and he he he ASU( I said heck no, too dang far and toooooooooooooooo dang cold. I did meet her mother at Elon so it still does mean something to us. And it's just money, the Gov't is going to take care of us anyway.xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlo lxxlolxxlolxxlolx

PhoenixMan
November 18th, 2009, 10:51 AM
Yep, ECU, VT, JMU, UNCW, Lynchburg, U of R xeekx, and he he he ASU( I said heck no, too dang far and toooooooooooooooo dang cold. I did meet her mother at Elon so it still does mean something to us. And it's just money, the Gov't is going to take care of us anyway.xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlo lxxlolxxlolxxlolx

It means something to me also, but I don't have that kind of $$. My 12 year old son is a diehard Elon fan, and hell bent on going there. It will probably be 50 grand a year or more by the time he is ready. I still live near campus......so I'm trying to be as mean as possible to him so by the time he's 18 he will want to get far away from me for college...like maybe up in Boonexnodx

WVAPPmountaineer
November 18th, 2009, 11:08 AM

From what I understand U of R and Elon are similar in cost - I believe you mentioned earlier that you live in VA - what was the in-state cost for VA Tech? (always where I wanted to go back in the day)

elon77
November 18th, 2009, 01:15 PM
From what I understand U of R and Elon are similar in cost - I believe you mentioned earlier that you live in VA - what was the in-state cost for VA Tech? (always where I wanted to go back in the day)

17-18 I believe. U of R is actually about 10 more than Elon, imagine that, 10 MORE.

WVAPPmountaineer
November 18th, 2009, 01:56 PM
Just came across this old video of Elon's back to back national championships - for the APP fans, the Elon TE that is mentioned is Dino Hackett's brother ----

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tm_sLi6EUnk

SpeedkingATL
November 18th, 2009, 02:30 PM
When one speaks of "true fans" of any university's athletic program I think one should look at the number of fans that donate $$$ to the athletic programs via their athletic associations. ASU certainly has a lot of fans these days but the number of fans that donate to the athletic program via membership in the Yosef Club is surprisingly small.

I would challege everyone to donate to these clubs as a "true fan" as most universities have a very reasonable minimum donation/membership fee. Don't depend on student fees and tickets purchased to foot the entire bill for the program.xrulesx

PhoenixPhan06
November 18th, 2009, 02:38 PM
When one speaks of "true fans" of any university's athletic program I think one should look at the number of fans that donate $$$ to the athletic programs via their athletic associations. ASU certainly has a lot of fans these days but the number of fans that donate to the athletic program via membership in the Yosef Club is surprisingly small.

I would challege everyone to donate to these clubs as a "true fan" as most universities have a very reasonable minimum donation/membership fee. Don't depend on student fees and tickets purchased to foot the entire bill for the program.xrulesx

Great point! Its great to see folks continue to step up with their financial support of their teams in this economy. Those donations help to keep your beloved teams on the field and competing at such a high level. Keep it up everyone.

Esko
November 18th, 2009, 02:39 PM
Agreed Speedking.

Having graduated in Dec. 07 I don't have all that much money to be donating but take huge pride in giving what I can to Appalachian and being a mamber of the Yosef Club.

Elon Fightin' Christians
November 18th, 2009, 03:28 PM
Just came across this old video of Elon's back to back national championships - for the APP fans, the Elon TE that is mentioned is Dino Hackett's brother ----

Great video.

Scott Riddle's Dad is mentioned too.

phoenix3
November 18th, 2009, 03:41 PM

How would you know? You weren't born when Rice played in college!

And, I suspect the sound level will be reduced in a few years when the Alumni Fieldhouse is complete and the jumbotron is angled toward the home seats. I think it's WAY too loud as well.

phoenix3
November 18th, 2009, 03:49 PM

Well, I guess that makes up for the 10 year old ASU fan that was flipping all the cars with Elon flags off as I was heading to my parking spot. Got to appreciate his enthusiasm I guess.

PhoenixPhan06
November 18th, 2009, 03:58 PM

I'm a big fan of those helmets and hope we can get a throwback game organized to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the first title next season!!

gophoenix
November 18th, 2009, 05:02 PM
I'm a big fan of those helmets and hope we can get a throwback game organized to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the first title next season!!

Me too, i really like them!

whoanellie
November 18th, 2009, 05:35 PM

How would you know? You weren't born when Rice played in college!

And, I suspect the sound level will be reduced in a few years when the Alumni Fieldhouse is complete and the jumbotron is angled toward the home seats. I think it's WAY too loud as well.

if you did not have so many people attend Saturday and ended up in end zone area. I'm sure the PA would not have to be turned up to get thru the ambient noise of the crowd! sure it's loud on the endzones but it sounds fine on the 40 yd line on the home team side xthumbsupx

PhoenixSupreme
November 18th, 2009, 05:38 PM
[QUOTE=phoenix3;1469281]

if you did not have so many people attend Saturday and ended up in end zone area. I'm sure the PA would not have to be turned up to get thru the ambient noise of the crowd! sure it's loud on the endzones but it sounds fine on the 40 yd line on the home team side xthumbsupx

Sitting over in the marching band section, I've certainly never felt the PA was loud. I wasn't at the App/Elon game though so I cannot account for if they raised the volume or not.

appirishmen
November 18th, 2009, 07:19 PM
the board wasnt that loud. it got loud at times when App fans were cheering. we were yelling App....State and the only way to silence us was to turn the speakers up.xnodx showed a lot of class. but its ok, we started when they turned it off again. it also got loud during the game when the App fans started cheering. but i guess you have to do what you have to do when all you hear is App cheering. xlolxxlolx

i was happy to see that Elon stopped playing music before we snapped the ball. i remember two years ago they played music every down until we snapped the ball. again best of luck to Elon this weekend. i hope yall win and we get 2 SoCon teams in the playoffs.

biggie
November 19th, 2009, 08:30 AM
[QUOTE=phoenix3;1469281]

Was deafening at the opposite 40 yd line on Visitors side. Much less when the feedback kicked in. The 'sideline' reporter had a high voice combined with feedback, she would have been better seen and not heard.

WVAPPmountaineer
November 20th, 2009, 12:54 PM
[QUOTE=whoanellie;1469359]
Was deafening at the opposite 40 yd line on Visitors side. Much less when the feedback kicked in. The 'sideline' reporter had a high voice combined with feedback, she would have been better seen and not heard.

The sideline reporter's voice was awfully shrill with the volume that high and the pumped in music didn't allow either band to play during timeouts, etc. ----