PDA

View Full Version : The bracket if teams were seeded 1 to 16

T-Dog
November 16th, 2009, 08:06 AM
Why not? A hypothetical "What if?" scenario.

(16) EIU @ (1) SIU
(9) McNeese State @ (8) New Hampshire

(14) EWU @ (3) Villanova
(11) Northern Iowa @ (6) South Carolina State

(12) South Dakota State @ (5) Appalachian State
(13) Stephen F Austin @ (4) Richmond

(10) Elon @ (7) William and Mary
(15) Holy Cross @ (2) Montana

Switched EWU and Holy Cross to avoid the 1st round conference matchup. xrulesx

So if your bored, speculate about it. xthumbsupx

mcveyrl
November 16th, 2009, 08:11 AM
Why not? A hypothetical "What if?" scenario.

(16) EIU @ (1) SIU
(9) McNeese State @ (8) New Hampshire

(14) EWU @ (3) Villanova
(11) Northern Iowa @ (6) South Carolina State

(12) South Dakota State @ (5) Appalachian State
(13) Stephen F Austin @ (4) Richmond

(10) Elon @ (7) William and Mary
(15) Holy Cross @ (2) Montana

Switched EWU and Holy Cross to avoid the 1st round conference matchup. xrulesx

So if your bored, speculate about it. xthumbsupx

Is this based on the GPI? At any rate, it's some interesting match-ups. McNeese going up north to UNH would be great and UNI travelling to SC State would be another great match-up.

If I had to make picks, I'd say the quarters would be

(8) UNH @ (1) SIU
(11) UNI @ (3) Villanova
(5) ASU @ (4) UR
(10) Elon @(2) Montana

Had to pick one more upset (besides UNI which I would question as an upset) so I went with Elon over W&M. Was tempted to go with the traditional 12 over 5, but went with the 'neers at The Rock.

Semis would look like this:
(5) ASU @ (1) SIU
(3) Villanova @ (2) Montana

Tough couple of games, here. Is ASU playing well enough to go into Carbondale and come out with a win? Can 'Nova stand a trip to Wa-Griz? My predictions is....

In Chatty...

For all the marbles...

(3) Villanova vs. (5) ASU

'Nova wins.

T-Dog
November 16th, 2009, 08:12 AM
Is this based on the GPI? At any rate, it's some interesting match-ups. McNeese going up north to UNH would be great and UNI travelling to SC State would be another great match-up.

Partially polls, partially predictions for next week, partially complete guess work. xpeacex

It's harder to do it this way than the current way. xrotatehx

Saint3333
November 16th, 2009, 08:16 AM
The way it should be!!!

appstate38
November 16th, 2009, 08:27 AM

If I had to make picks, I'd say the quarters would be

(8) UNH @ (1) SIU
(11) UNI @ (3) Villanova
(5) ASU @ (4) UR
(10) Elon @(2) Montana

Had to pick one more upset (besides UNI which I would question as an upset) so I went with Elon over W&M. Was tempted to go with the traditional 12 over 5, but went with the 'neers at The Rock.

Semis would look like this:
(5) ASU @ (1) SIU
(3) Villanova @ (2) Montana

Tough couple of games, here. Is ASU playing well enough to go into Carbondale and come out with a win? Can 'Nova stand a trip to Wa-Griz? My predictions is....

In Chatty...

For all the marbles...

(3) Villanova vs. (5) ASU

'Nova wins.

silly rabbit don't you know the Apps always beat the CAA especially in Chatty!xlolx

mcveyrl
November 16th, 2009, 08:50 AM
silly rabbit don't you know the Apps always beat the CAA especially in Chatty!xlolx

Ahhh...if we're going by old rules, then I've got you guys losing in the quarters. :D

Saint3333
November 16th, 2009, 09:16 AM
And JMU missing the playoffs ;-).

mcveyrl
November 16th, 2009, 09:20 AM
And JMU missing the playoffs ;-).

xconfusedxxconfusedx

What's that got to do with anything?

Prominentwon
November 16th, 2009, 09:32 AM
I continue to love the way people keep leaving McNeese out of the conversation. We'll sit quietly over here in the corner.

HLNgriz
November 16th, 2009, 10:09 AM
I continue to love the way people keep leaving McNeese out of the conversation. We'll sit quietly over here in the corner.

Maybe? This is going to be a deep field with no gimmies.xsmiley_wix

Prominentwon
November 16th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Maybe? This is going to be a deep field with no gimmies.xsmiley_wix

No doubt.

I just see ALOT of talk about a group of certain teams and that's about it.

Villanova this, UNH that, Richmond this, W&M that.

Yeah, they all have decent records, but alot of these playoff arguments are all seriously biased.

Matter of fact, I'm not even sure if I've seen much discussion about Montana in these threads.

Like I said, we'll just sit quietly in the corner and see what happens.

SCSUBULLDOG1
November 16th, 2009, 11:08 AM
This is the first problem I see. Now will my dog's make it anywhere past second round we will see.

DG Cowboy
November 16th, 2009, 11:11 AM
The facts are that McNeese needs a playoff win to get some real respect back. The NAU and EWU losses were very bitter pills to swallow, although those are the only two Big Sky teams to ever win in The Hole, I think. I believe Derrick Fourroux will take the team on his back, if we make the playoffs, as it seems we will. I understand the App State game was huge for us, but playoff time is where you make your mark. All else is putting yourself in position.

Thunder_Struck
November 16th, 2009, 11:31 AM
Didn't they used to do the brackets by seeding all 16? If so when was that changed?

Seeding all 16 is the way to go.

DG Cowboy
November 16th, 2009, 11:49 AM
Didn't they used to do the brackets by seeding all 16? If so when was that changed?

Seeding all 16 is the way to go.

NCAA $$$. They started seeeding 8 and then matching "closer" schools travel-wise. That would bring in more paying visitors and cut travel costs (the stated reason). Also affected the variety of conferences you would see over a period of time. Unless I am wrong on this.

Cocky
November 16th, 2009, 12:01 PM
The Southland has fallen into the conference category of not getting the bad game pass. The CAA, Missouri Valley, and SOCON teams can have a bad game during the season and not lose a lot of credibility. But you can gain it back during the playoffs.

Sader87
November 16th, 2009, 12:40 PM
Love to make a trip out to Big Sky Country for a game. There was actually some talk (at the administrative level) of this being a home and home series at one point in the late 80's.

Screamin_Eagle174
November 16th, 2009, 01:11 PM
The question is, when EWU beats Villanova or some other beloved CAA team, will the ECS's dump Villy and claim they were overrated, or will they (dare I say it) claim EWU is a team to be reckoned with? xlolx

GannonFan
November 16th, 2009, 01:19 PM
The question is, when EWU beats Villanova or some other beloved CAA team, will the ECS's dump Villy and claim they were overrated, or will they (dare I say it) claim EWU is a team to be reckoned with? xlolx

Nah, don't worry. As in the past, no team from the BCS other than Montana appears to be capable of winning more than one game in a row in the playoffs (or at least since 1997 they haven't been). More than likely, and assuming EWU was actually matched up with a nova in the first round, any such upset will be followed by the inevitable loss in the quarters, maybe even at home, as has befallen other non-Montana BCS teams. It's just the way it is. xlolx

Screamin_Eagle174
November 16th, 2009, 01:25 PM
Nah, don't worry. As in the past, no team from the BCS other than Montana appears to be capable of winning more than one game in a row in the playoffs (or at least since 1997 they haven't been). More than likely, and assuming EWU was actually matched up with a nova in the first round, any such upset will be followed by the inevitable loss in the quarters, maybe even at home, as has befallen other non-Montana BCS teams. It's just the way it is. xlolx

So Villanova would then be overrated. Got it. xcoffeex

GannonFan
November 16th, 2009, 01:35 PM

It's cool - hey, makes it easier for the rest of us to fill out our brackets - one of the rules is a non-Montana team from the BCS is never to be penciled in past the quarters. It's like never picking a #16 seed to beat a #1 seed in the NCAA's (or to always pick at least one #12 seed to beat a #5 seed). It's amazing how these rules are amazingly accurate. :p

uofmman1122
November 16th, 2009, 01:35 PM
Nah, don't worry. As in the past, no team from the BCS other than Montana appears to be capable of winning more than one game in a row in the playoffs (or at least since 1997 they haven't been). More than likely, and assuming EWU was actually matched up with a nova in the first round, any such upset will be followed by the inevitable loss in the quarters, maybe even at home, as has befallen other non-Montana BCS teams. It's just the way it is. xlolxI'm fairly confident, had Weber State not been in the same bracket as Montana, they would have made it to the semis.

They had a very good team last year, and it's a shame all western teams had to play in the same bracket.

Oh well, hopefully one of the other western teams will get a shot this year.

GannonFan
November 16th, 2009, 01:38 PM
I'm fairly confident, had Weber State not been in the same bracket as Montana, they would have made it to the semis.

They had a very good team last year, and it's a shame all western teams had to play in the same bracket.

Oh well, hopefully one of the other western teams will get a shot this year.

Eh, happens all the time. CAA teams often play each other in the quarters (W&M/UD in '04, UNH/UMass in '06, nova/JMU in '08 off the top of my head) - hasn't stopped them from getting different teams to the semis. Appears to only be a stumbling block for non-Montana BSC teams.

wideright82
November 16th, 2009, 01:42 PM

Don't worry yourself with impossible outcomes Screamin. xwhistlex

soccerguy315
November 16th, 2009, 02:14 PM
Villanova is not overrated. They have proven themselves a top 6 team, which in my mind gives them as good a chance at the national championship as anyone.

JTCowboy
November 16th, 2009, 04:24 PM

I like us out of the conversation. The NCAA field is all that matters and we still have to beat a decent UCA team.

Frankly, we need to win a first round game to regain some swagger.xcoffeex

Prominentwon
November 16th, 2009, 04:32 PM
I like us out of the conversation. The NCAA field is all that matters and we still have to beat a decent UCA team.

Frankly, we need to win a first round game to regain some swagger.xcoffeex

Absolutely agree. Regardless of their record, I still think UCA is a dangerous team. As long as the defense can play somewhat decent, then I really feel that McNeese could make a run.

In all honesty, this is the best offense I've ever seen outside of the 94 (I think.) team that lost to Marshall in the semis at home. Probably better.

McNeese75
November 16th, 2009, 04:41 PM
Absolutely agree. Regardless of their record, I still think UCA is a dangerous team. As long as the defense can play somewhat decent, then I really feel that McNeese could make a run.

In all honesty, this is the best offense I've ever seen outside of the 94 (I think.) team that lost to Marshall in the semis at home. Probably better.

95 xsmiley_wix

JTCowboy
November 16th, 2009, 09:57 PM

That 95 team was special. They ran into a Marshall defense that came ready to play. Chad pennigton was effecient enough and we got beat on a cold beautiful day in the hole. I was really surprised. Thought that team would go all the way.
This years offense may be better but we are not even close on defense to that team. At least not so far.