PDA

View Full Version : Missouri State Expected To Hire Terry Allen Today

JMU Duke Dog
December 20th, 2005, 08:15 AM
http://www.news-leader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051220/SPORTS0401/512200367/1096

Allen's hiring expected today
The Missouri State Board of Governors will likely meet to approve new football coach.

Lyndal Scranton
News-Leader

Missouri State could have a new football coach by this afternoon, and all signs point to it being Terry Allen.
Allen, who's won more Gateway Conference championships than any other coach, was in Springfield on Monday night as a follow-up to last Thursday's interview with school officials.

The Missouri State Board of Governors is expected to meet at 11 a.m. today in special session, said board member Mike Duggan of St. Louis, presumably to approve the hiring of a new football coach.

Missouri State sports information director Mark Stillwell said no press conference to announce a new coach is scheduled and said he did not know of a special Board of Governors meeting.

Allen is associate head coach at Iowa State and a former big winner on the Division I-AA level at Northern Iowa which, like Missouri State, is a Gateway Conference member.

The 48-year-old Allen was not available for comment Monday night. He recently said that the Missouri State job appeals to him because "it's a great job at a great university with good people and unbelievable potential."

Other finalists for the job are DeAndre Smith, a former Missouri State all-America who's an assistant coach at Miami (Ohio), and University of Missouri assistant Andy Hill.

Smith, the running-game coordinator at Miami, said Monday he has not been contacted by Missouri State officials since interviewing a week ago today. Hill, who coaches receivers at Missouri, could not be reached for comment.

The Missouri State job has been open since Nov. 14, when Randy Ball was let go along with his entire coaching staff.

Today is the original deadline Missouri State president Michael Nietzel set to have a new coach recommended to him.

Mike Kolling, a former Missouri State assistant who also coached on Allen's Northern Iowa staff in the early 1990s, said Allen's hiring would create instant credibility and excitement in the local sports community.

"Terry Allen is about as personable a guy as you can find," Kolling said. "You would be getting a quality guy who the community will notice because he will be out there. He's not gonna give you lip service. He is the real deal.

"He will speak to Boy Scout groups, church groups, Sertoma club, you name it. He doesn't say no and that equates to (exposure for) his program."

Allen won seven Gateway Conference championships as head coach at Northern Iowa, where his teams were 75-26 from 1989-96.

The Iowa City, Iowa, native parlayed the success at Northern Iowa into a shot at the major level, but he did not find similar success at Kansas. Allen's teams went 20-33 before he was fired at Kansas before the end of the 2001 season.

Allen recently recalled answering a question following his firing from Kansas, about a possible return to I-AA coaching someday.

"My answer was I probably would want to go to one place and that was Southwest Missouri State, which of course is now Missouri State," Allen said.

"I remember when Jesse Branch was coaching (Missouri State) and being asked the one team that you had to beat in the Gateway. My answer was (Missouri State)," Allen said.

Allen has been associate head coach to Dan McCarney at Iowa State since the 2002 season. Allen also coaches the tight ends.

Mr. C
December 20th, 2005, 10:58 AM
This would be a great hire for Missouri State. I wonder what the folks at UNI would think of having Terry Allen back in the Gateway? Could make for an interesting rivalry between MSU and UNI.

PantherRob82
December 20th, 2005, 11:30 AM
i personally think it will be weird. also, i think we play them for homecoming next year.

Cap'n Cat
December 20th, 2005, 12:37 PM
It's a very good thing. I was a GA under Terry Allen in '89 and '90 and he is one straight-up son of a gun. He will be successful there.

crunifan
December 20th, 2005, 12:40 PM
I don't like it at all. Let's just say it won't be pretty next year when he makes his return to the UNI-Dome to coach against the Panthers.

Cap'n Cat
December 20th, 2005, 12:42 PM
I don't like it at all. Let's just say it won't be pretty next year when he makes his return to the UNI-Dome to coach against the Panthers.

Why not, cr? The guy is no axe-murderer.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

:confused:

crunifan
December 20th, 2005, 12:58 PM

To me, this is almost being a "traitor." I know the word is a little harsh, but I just don't see how someone can support UNI so much, and then a few years later on down the road hope to see us lose.

Cap'n Cat
December 20th, 2005, 01:08 PM
To me, this is almost being a "traitor." I know the word is a little harsh, but I just don't see how someone can support UNI so much, and then a few years later on down the road hope to see us lose.

Oh, buck up, cr. Above all, it's business. The guy has a marketable talent available to all bidders.

:nono:

JCPanthers
December 20th, 2005, 01:43 PM

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Just wait....as soon as he pulls Bill Salmon and DJ Vokolek away from UNI....then he could be just as bad as an axe-murderer.

Cap'n Cat
December 20th, 2005, 01:46 PM
Just wait....as soon as he pulls Bill Salmon and DJ Vokolek away from UNI....then he could be just as bad as an axe-murderer.

Ain't gonna happen.

Relax, guys. This is good for the conference and division. Why would anyone WANT to watch another team suffer through eons of mediocrity? ('course if it's Youngstown, who the fugg cares? j/k)

Revolution is good.

Chi Panther
December 20th, 2005, 03:00 PM
DJ Vokolek is TAs nephew.......would be a large hit if UNI would lose any asst's to MSU......

crunifan
December 20th, 2005, 03:05 PM
If this is what he wants, then I guess in the end it is okay. But I hope that whenever UNI plays MSU with TA as their coach, we make him regret ever leaving UNI. :nod:

Cap'n Cat
December 20th, 2005, 03:07 PM
If this is what he wants, then I guess in the end it is okay. But I hope that whenever UNI plays MSU with TA as their coach, we make him regret ever leaving UNI. :nod:

With all due respect, that's kinda pubescent, ain't it?

crunifan
December 20th, 2005, 03:10 PM
With all due respect, that's kinda pubescent, ain't it?

I guess my alligiance with this school is more than most, but when I choose to become part of a community I don't turn my back on it for a few dollars. It may be pubescent, but it is the way I feel and I can't change that.

Cap'n Cat
December 20th, 2005, 03:32 PM
I guess my alligiance with this school is more than most, but when I choose to become part of a community I don't turn my back on it for a few dollars. It may be pubescent, but it is the way I feel and I can't change that.

Man, cr, you ain't right........................

Was the guy supposed to wait for an OVC job, or something, to please people like you? Think the guy, AT ALL, has any allegiance to his alma mater? What, you think he automatically "hates" UNI just bcause he's coaching at MSU now? Guy wants to build his career........

Jeez, wish him luck and hope the Cats beat his teams, but, dude...........

:eyebrow:

crunifan
December 20th, 2005, 03:40 PM
Man, cr, you ain't right........................

Was the guy supposed to wait for an OVC job, or something, to please people like you? Think the guy, AT ALL, has any allegiance to his alma mater? What, you think he automatically "hates" UNI just bcause he's coaching at MSU now? Guy wants to build his career........

Jeez, wish him luck and hope the Cats beat his teams, but, dude...........

I see where you are coming from, really I do. But for example, when I graduate from UNI in 2008 I am going to graduate school. The most logical choice for my finance degree would be the University of Iowa for they have a great program. I will not go to Iowa for the mere fact that it is Iowa and against UNI. Petty, I know. But I could not possibly root for Iowa after going to UNI, I just couldn't. So I am going to Michigan. This, while not exactly the same, is why I cannot fathom how Terry Allen, after spending so much time here could actually take pleasure in seeing UNI lose.

I don't want any misfortune on the man. He was very important to UNI athletics. But to me, when go from supporting UNI to the hieghts of I-AA football to hoping we lose, I cannot support your decision.

December 20th, 2005, 03:41 PM
It's official:

TERRY ALLEN NAMED HEAD FOOTBALL COACH OF MISSOURI STATE BEARS

Terry Allen, who cut his coaching teeth and enjoyed his greatest coaching success in the Gateway Football Conference, will return to one of the nation’s most potent Division I-AA leagues as the new head coach of the Missouri State University Bears. Allen’s appointment was announced Tuesday afternoon at a news conference in Springfield by Bill Rowe, Missouri State Director of Athletics. Missouri State Board of Governors president Mike Franks and Missouri State president Dr. Michael Nietzel also made remarks at the news conference. Allen has been given a five-year contract at Missouri State.

Coach Allen immediately let it be known that he now hates UNI and especially everyone who was a GA with him during his tenure there including that one ex-OL #74.

(okay so I made that last line up) xlolx

Bub
December 20th, 2005, 03:45 PM
Ah, CR to be young and have such high ideals. :)

Come back in a few years young man (10 or 20) and reread your post. You'll find yourself laughing not only at how little you knew, but at how much you thought you knew. And don't worry, we've all been there.

Cap'n Cat
December 20th, 2005, 03:58 PM

Come back in a few years young man (10 or 20) and reread your post. You'll find yourself laughing not only at how little you knew, but at how much you thought you knew. And don't worry, we've all been there.

Amen.

crunifan
December 20th, 2005, 04:14 PM

Maybe so, time will tell.

Chi Panther
December 20th, 2005, 05:53 PM
I see where you are coming from, really I do. But for example, when I graduate from UNI in 2008 I am going to graduate school. The most logical choice for my finance degree would be the University of Iowa for they have a great program. I will not go to Iowa for the mere fact that it is Iowa and against UNI. Petty, I know. But I could not possibly root for Iowa after going to UNI, I just couldn't. So I am going to Michigan. This, while not exactly the same, is why I cannot fathom how Terry Allen, after spending so much time here could actually take pleasure in seeing UNI lose.

I don't want any misfortune on the man. He was very important to UNI athletics. But to me, when go from supporting UNI to the hieghts of I-AA football to hoping we lose, I cannot support your decision.

I'm not here to tell you that you are wrong.....but you are comparing apples and oranges.....

Hundreds of kids are admitted to schools to get a Master's of Finance every year....(I have a BA in Finance from UNI).

There are VERY few Head Coaching positions in Division I football........

Its not like he has a choice of every school in the country.....where you may have that option......

igo4uni
December 20th, 2005, 09:56 PM
I wish TA luck in his new position. I think MSU got a great coach. TA is a winner through and through.

It's gonna be weird seeing him in the fabulous UNI-Dome coaching against UNI.

I don't blame him at all for his decisions in the past. In fact, I think that Mark Farley learned a lesson as well: High profile I-A jobs are not always the best way to go.

Good luck, TA (except against UNI, of course!)

Reed Rothchild
December 21st, 2005, 09:53 AM
Although TA will be at MSU, he will still have a place in his heart for UNI. I know for a fact that he still did when he was at Kansas and at Iowa State. After he got fired at Kansas, the first thing he did was hop on a plane and head to Bowling Green, KY to watch UNI beat WKU to win their first Gateway Conference title since TA left. The only time he is going to be rooting against UNI is the 1 time a year that he plays us.

If he takes a coach (Vokolek) from us, it won't matter much. I didn't know how UNI would respond when Bill Inge left, but look what they did this year. Farley has the core of guys there that he needs, and at the I-AA level coaches are always ready to adapt to changes in their staff.

I think its going to be a lot of fun in the Gateway this year with him down in Springfield. He is going to make the Gateway an even stronger conference.

Superneck
January 9th, 2006, 06:09 PM
Bah I say. WIU lamented the same thing when Randy Ball went to Southw...err...Missouri State. We got over it well enough. Speaking of the Ballmeister. Any thoughts on where he will go?

dirtbag
January 9th, 2006, 06:25 PM

Ummm... because he needs a paycheck?

I work with a guy who's a Big 12 ref, and he's told me that Allen one of the best guys in the coaching business. He and the other refs were sad to see him fired from KU.

D1B
January 9th, 2006, 09:59 PM
Although TA will be at MSU, he will still have a place in his heart for UNI. I know for a fact that he still did when he was at Kansas and at Iowa State. After he got fired at Kansas, the first thing he did was hop on a plane and head to Bowling Green, KY to watch UNI beat WKU to win their first Gateway Conference title since TA left. The only time he is going to be rooting against UNI is the 1 time a year that he plays us.

If he takes a coach (Vokolek) from us, it won't matter much. I didn't know how UNI would respond when Bill Inge left, but look what they did this year. Farley has the core of guys there that he needs, and at the I-AA level coaches are always ready to adapt to changes in their staff.

I think its going to be a lot of fun in the Gateway this year with him down in Springfield. He is going to make the Gateway an even stronger conference.

Reed, you know more about this than I, but is it really a big deal to lose Vokolek? That D sure did give up a lot of points, I thinks.

nmatsen
January 10th, 2006, 09:17 AM
Bah I say. WIU lamented the same thing when Randy Ball went to Southw...err...Missouri State. We got over it well enough. Speaking of the Ballmeister. Any thoughts on where he will go?

Maybe you guys should try to bring him back as a recruiting coordinator. You guys haven't done squat since all of his kids gradutated (HA), or were arrested or dropped out of school.

Reed Rothchild
January 10th, 2006, 09:41 AM
Reed, you know more about this than I, but is it really a big deal to lose Vokolek? That D sure did give up a lot of points, I thinks.

The D started to play much better after Farley decided to scrap the 3-4. He was running that in the first part of the season and they had a hard time stopping people. The switch to 4 downlineman and it was night and day. In the playoffs, they ran into 3 buzzsaw offenses in a row but were able to make the plays when needed.

Vokolek was looked very highly upon by the players. He is an excellent motivator and an even better person. He will be sorely missed at UNI and is a solid addition to MSU.

Superneck
January 10th, 2006, 10:14 AM
Maybe you guys should try to bring him back as a recruiting coordinator. You guys haven't done squat since all of his kids gradutated (HA), or were arrested or dropped out of school.

No doubt. For the last few years there has been a definite push at WIU to move away from recruiting I-A transfers and focusing more on recruiting in state talent. While admirable, Macomb is already hard enough to find and you need to promise an awful lot to local kids to get them to decide on Macomb over all the other state schools, not to mention Illinois (ok bad example) and the Big 10's N'Western. Randy Ball wouldn't have faired so well without the Big 10 pipeline he had, especially from Wisconsin.

dirtbag
January 10th, 2006, 11:43 AM
I see where you are coming from, really I do. But for example, when I graduate from UNI in 2008 I am going to graduate school. The most logical choice for my finance degree would be the University of Iowa for they have a great program. I will not go to Iowa for the mere fact that it is Iowa and against UNI. Petty, I know. But I could not possibly root for Iowa after going to UNI, I just couldn't. So I am going to Michigan. This, while not exactly the same...

Yeah, partly because Michigan's program is much better than Iowa's. Work with Kaul or Bhattacharrayayayadyasuydgaysgd and you'll be light years ahead of where you'd be with an Iowa Ph.D.