PDA

View Full Version : Eliminated? How About a 2010 Preview?

B&G
November 15th, 2009, 01:44 PM
For those of you who are already looking to next year... let's see how your team is going to look in 2010. Key losses? Key returnees? Give some thoughts on your team in 2010. :)

WestCoastAggie
November 15th, 2009, 02:12 PM
Welp the MEAC might be giving up its AQ in 2011.

txstatebobcat
November 15th, 2009, 02:36 PM
For those of you who are already looking to next year... let's see how your team is going to look in 2010. Key losses? Key returnees? Give some thoughts on your team in 2010. :)

We lose six starters out of nine total seniors in the two deep on offense including 4 year starter at QB in Bradley George. Three offensive linemen, a tight end and current starting RB Alvin Canady.

On defense we lose 4 starters who were the only seniors on the defensive two deep. They are big loses though since all 4 were amongst our best players the defensive side of the ball.

While losing Bradly George will hurt, but his back up, Tim Hawkins, is a very talented young man who will be a red shirt sophmore next year. This means he will have pretty decent knowledge of our offensive system. We will also have one of the best WR Core in the FCS next year. Most importantly we should have our RB Karrington Bush back next year, he averaged close to 8 yards per carry during his freshman and sophomore seasons.

As far as defense goes, I think we will be improved overall with seven starters coming back.

All in all I think we can do very well next year depending on how well Tim Hawkins develops when he takes over as QB.

jcmanson
November 15th, 2009, 02:43 PM
Liberty will be top 15 all season

DFW HOYA
November 15th, 2009, 02:54 PM
A bit early to think 2010. Then again, when your team is 5-37 since 2006, it's always early.

JSUBison
November 15th, 2009, 03:24 PM
North Dakota State key loss: QB Nick "Tha Pick" Mertens. xthumbsupx

superman7515
November 15th, 2009, 03:57 PM
University of Delaware key loss: Jon "Shankapotamus" Striefsky

JALMOND
November 15th, 2009, 07:19 PM

For Portland State---

Key losses---FB Bobby McClintock, WR/KR Aaron Woods, LB Erik Pedersen, LB Ryan Pederson, S Jordan Brown, G Moses Punzal.

Key Returnees---QB Drew Hubel, WR Raymond Fry, CB DeShawn Shead, CB Michael Williams, K Zach Brown

also we had 15 true freshmen (not redshirt freshmen, but true freshmen straight out of high school) play for us this year (Presbyterian led the FCS with 17 true freshmen played).

Question Mark---Coach Jerry Glanville

The Vikings should be fine next year as those freshmen who saw significant minutes this year should be fairly seasoned. The transistion to a more traditional offense to take advantage of Hubel's passing and Connor Kavanaugh's running will have a full year to mesh. The defense should be able to contain as they will also be helped by the emergence of freshmen Michael Williams and Nathan Snow. They will be able to solidify the left side of the defensive secondary and cause teams to have to throw to Shead who had an extraordinary year last year, but did not follow up because teams did not throw very often to his side. The Vikings have had seven field goals of 50+ yards in its history and two were kicked this year by freshman kicker, Brown, who was not even the kicker at the start of the year. The main question revolves around Glanville and will he or won't he return. There is some heat on him as the season closes and he will meet with the AD on Monday (11-16), right now I will not even venture a guess. Rumors are bouncing both ways right now so it make that issue unclear.

Screamin_Eagle174
November 15th, 2009, 07:30 PM

xlolx

kirkblitz
November 15th, 2009, 07:44 PM
we will finish 3-8

LegalGaSouthernEagle
November 15th, 2009, 08:48 PM
Baring an influx of some quality transfers, GSU will stink next year too. That said, the right transfer QB could change us from a 5-6 team to a 7-4/6-5 team.
I think Hatcher's last year is 2010. I hope I'm wrong, but my gut tells me this guy and his staff are in way over their heads.

Go...gate
November 15th, 2009, 08:54 PM
Hopefully the Patriot League will do something about the scholarship issue. Our schedule is a bit stronger in that we travel to Furman OOC.

GolfingGriz
November 15th, 2009, 09:00 PM

FINALLY! A Liberty fan who knows they're eliminated!

PhoenixMan
November 15th, 2009, 09:00 PM
Next year? If we win next week vs. Samford and get in the playoffs, I think we are a good team in the SoCon again, despite losing a lot on D, and Hudgins. HOWEVER, if we somehow manage to lose next week, and once again don't make it in.......I don't know what will happen next year. Maybe we just make Rhodes Stadium a full-time soccer stadium. Seriously, I think Elon winning next week and getting in is HUGE to the present and future of this program. BEAT SAMFORD!

GeauxLions94
November 15th, 2009, 09:24 PM
SOUTHEASTERN LOUISIANA 2010 PREVIEW:
SLU will have 10 starters back on defense, including All-American safety Tommy Connors who was lost for the season in Week 3, and 18 starters back total.

Only starters lost will be QB Brian Babin, WR Chris Wilson, WR Merrick Lanaux, RB Jasper Ducksworth, LB Quinten Pierre and DB Brian Reynolds.

Twenty-eight seniors are on next year's squad along with some pretty good skill players (Simmie Yarborough, Kory Theodore, Curtis Strong, Re'Keem Wilson, Robert Alford) and the entire offensive and defensive line.

siuham
November 15th, 2009, 11:05 PM

xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

McNeese75
November 15th, 2009, 11:49 PM
SOUTHEASTERN LOUISIANA 2010 PREVIEW:
SLU will have 10 starters back on defense, including All-American safety Tommy Connors who was lost for the season in Week 3, and 18 starters back total.

Only starters lost will be QB Brian Babin, WR Chris Wilson, WR Merrick Lanaux, RB Jasper Ducksworth, LB Quinten Pierre and DB Brian Reynolds.

Twenty-eight seniors are on next year's squad along with some pretty good skill players (Simmie Yarborough, Kory Theodore, Curtis Strong, Re'Keem Wilson, Robert Alford) and the entire offensive and defensive line.

Replacing those Sr's will be tough. McNeese will have the same challenge in getting new skill players to step up.

slostang
November 16th, 2009, 12:02 AM
Cal Poly returns 9 starters on offense and 7 on defense. Probably even more important is that they will have a full year under the new coaching staff.

Key returners on offense: 7 starters on the OL with at least 10 starts, WRs Dominique Johnson & Jared Houston, FBs Jordan Yocum & Jake Romanelli.

Key returners on defense: DTs James Chen & Erich Klemme, LBs Marty Mohamed & Kenny Jackson, DBs Asa Jackson, Scottie Codier, Bejon Samoodie and Greg Francis.

Key losses: RBs Jon Hall & Jono Grayson, DE Ryan Shotwell, LB Carton Gillespie, DBs David Fullerton and Xavier Gardner.

Cal Poly returns Tony Smith at QB, but I think there will be a battle at that position this spring.

lionsrking2
November 16th, 2009, 12:53 AM
Replacing those Sr's will be tough. McNeese will have the same challenge in getting new skill players to step up.

Always tough to replace quality seniors, but we're loaded up pretty good behind them at those positions...toughest to replace will be Brian Babin, but Tyler Beatty is more physically talented and very capable...we'll probably have to tailor the offense to suit his abilities but we should be very good offensively next year...O-line will be junior/senior dominated with several three and four year starters...should have more depth behind them as this redshirt bunch matures...we'll still be deep at WR despite losing Lanaux and Wilson, and have several young guys ready to step up...Zeke Jones will be ready to take over as an every down back and we have a very talented freshman in Sam Fairley who is in the Ducksworth mold.

Defensively, we return just about everything and will get Connors back from injury.

Need to replace Jeff Turner, but have a commitment from a pretty good HS kicker...our punter returns.

2010 looks very bright for the Lions!!!

jcmanson
November 16th, 2009, 07:01 AM

xlolx I have to give it to you, that was funny

ASUTodd
November 16th, 2009, 07:20 AM
App State key losses .... Armanti Edwards (do I need to go further?) but I will..
Cortez Gilbert
Tavaris Washington
Jacque Roman
Daniel Finnerty
Mario Acitelli

BlackNGold
November 16th, 2009, 07:25 AM
App State key losses .... Armanti Edwards (do I need to go further?) but I will..xbawlingx
Cortez Gilbert
Tavaris Washington
Jacque Roman
Daniel Finnerty
Mario Acitelli :(

xbawlingxxbawlingxxbawlingxxbawlingxxbawlingx

89Hen
November 16th, 2009, 08:43 AM
University of Delaware key loss: Jon "Shankapotamus" Striefsky
xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx WTF kind of comment is that? He is the all time leader in FG's at UD and he goes 4 of 4 Saturday and kept the Hens in the game. He is probably the best kicker the Hens have ever had. We don't need fans like you. xnonono2x

bluehenbillk
November 16th, 2009, 09:04 AM
UD loses only 2 starters on O and I believe 3 on D, lose our K as well. May have Josh Baker back at TE pending a medical redshirt decision. UD should be the CAA South pre-season #2 team behind 'Nova for '10.

GeauxLions94
November 16th, 2009, 09:16 AM

No bigger losses for McCowboys than Fourroux (IMO the best all-around QB in the Southland) and Pendland

mcveyrl
November 16th, 2009, 09:18 AM
Our biggest losses will be on D. We're losing both corners: McGee, who has improved a great deal, and Jamaris Sanders (who had a strip and a TD against UMass). We also lose two of our best DL, Moats and Daniels. I think those are the only starters we lose, though.

On O, our biggest loss is probably Dorian Brooks on the OL. We lose some targets for Thorpe/Dudzik in McCarter (probably the biggest of the skill players) and Caussin (close second). Neither have been a huge factor since Thorpe came in, although McCarter had a good game against UD (he also fumbled a TD and dropped sure fire TD against UMass). We also lose Boscoe Williams, but he's been pretty quiet after coming back from injury this year.

I think we'll be a borderline playoff team next year. A lot depends on the QB situation and what happens there. If Thorpe continues to mature you'd have to think he's the front-runner, but it's hard not to give Dudzik a fair shot too.

EDIT: From a scheduling standpoint we will have to go to 'Nova and UR, but have UD and W&M at home. I THINK we are at UNH with N'eastern and URI coming here, which is actually good for us since we only have to go to the Northeast once.

We also play Liberty OOC, but I think we're at home for that. I really think we'll go undefeated out of conference and then need to go 6-3 in-conference, which is doable.

89Hen
November 16th, 2009, 09:36 AM
UD loses only 2 starters on O and I believe 3 on D, lose our K as well. May have Josh Baker back at TE pending a medical redshirt decision. UD should be the CAA South pre-season #2 team behind 'Nova for '10.
And the O-line should be pretty darn deep next year. Anything short of 9-2 next year would be very disappointing.

McNeese75
November 16th, 2009, 09:49 AM
No bigger losses for McCowboys than Fourroux (IMO the best all-around QB in the Southland) and Pendland

We are fully aware of what we are losing. Derrick is quietly breaking most if not all of Kerry Joseph's records at McNeese.

McNeese75
November 16th, 2009, 09:53 AM
Always tough to replace quality seniors, but we're loaded up pretty good behind them at those positions...toughest to replace will be Brian Babin, but Tyler Beatty is more physically talented and very capable...we'll probably have to tailor the offense to suit his abilities but we should be very good offensively next year...O-line will be junior/senior dominated with several three and four year starters...should have more depth behind them as this redshirt bunch matures...we'll still be deep at WR despite losing Lanaux and Wilson, and have several young guys ready to step up...Zeke Jones will be ready to take over as an every down back and we have a very talented freshman in Sam Fairley who is in the Ducksworth mold.

Defensively, we return just about everything and will get Connors back from injury.

Need to replace Jeff Turner, but have a commitment from a pretty good HS kicker...our punter returns.

2010 looks very bright for the Lions!!!

I apprecaite your optimism about Beatty but we all heard the same thing from UCA last year about replacing Brown. I have absolutly no idea who will be behind center for McNeese next year at this time but I can assure you, he will be young and more than likely not up to DF's overall standards (as a duel threat)

UCABEARS75
November 16th, 2009, 10:06 AM
Next year (our first year to be eligible for the playoffs) may be pretty rough.

We are feeling the loss of Nathan Brown this year after going 13-3 vs. the SLC with him at QB.

Our defense is pretty good this year and we lose most of them.

Our offense is horrible and will be improved next year.

We need to recruit improved skill people (although we may never have another Nathan Brown or Marquez Branson, TE) and need to recruit overall more athletic talent, in particular at LB, D-Back, TE, and wide receiver.

2011 should be better but 2010 looks rough right now.

bluehenbillk
November 16th, 2009, 10:18 AM
And the O-line should be pretty darn deep next year. Anything short of 9-2 next year would be very disappointing.

I hope you're right.

GannonFan
November 16th, 2009, 10:21 AM

I hope you're right.

Agreed - UD gets old when most of the CAA South gets younger, and UD is returning tons of players. If Baker gets that medical redshirt the offense should look like '07 all over again, with a much better defense than that year. OOC schedule is easier as well, 7 home games - if 2010 wasn't setup to be a great year for the Blue Hens I'm not sure what else would be.

ToTheLeft
November 16th, 2009, 10:57 AM
We also play Liberty OOC, but I think we're at home for that. I really think we'll go undefeated out of conference and then need to go 6-3 in-conference, which is doable.

Pretty sure that we're going H-H-A-A to let you guys have us in Harrisonburg once your stadium looks prettier. That's what I've heard, at least.

PhoenixMan
November 16th, 2009, 11:07 AM
App State key losses .... Armanti Edwards (do I need to go further?) but I will..
Cortez Gilbert
Tavaris Washington
Jacque Roman
Daniel Finnerty
Mario Acitelli

Don't forget Matt Cline....he was phenomenal on Saturday.

Cocky
November 16th, 2009, 12:10 PM
We lose RP, left tackle, center, two wrs, and not much else on offense. Defense we lose our MLB, Nose, and Safety. We should be very good next year but our Coaching will cost us at least one game as always (ie EIU and FSU). It is just a shame this year team couldn't go to the playoffs because we would end the OVCs losing streak.

lionsrking2
November 16th, 2009, 01:10 PM
I apprecaite your optimism about Beatty but we all heard the same thing from UCA last year about replacing Brown. I have absolutly no idea who will be behind center for McNeese next year at this time but I can assure you, he will be young and more than likely not up to DF's overall standards (as a duel threat)

True, but there's zero comparison in physical ability between Robbie Park and Tyler Beatty...plus Tyler already has a conference skin on the wall which happens to be UCA. He won't replace Babin's leadership, but he'll give us the added dimension of mobility and ability the throw the ball vertically down field. We'll look a little different in what we do, but I'm confident we'll be a good offensive football team next year with Beatty running things.

B&G
November 16th, 2009, 01:18 PM
Don't forget Matt Cline....he was phenomenal on Saturday.

Fortunately Cline has been granted another year of eligibility. At least that's what our radio guys said.

PhoenixMan
November 16th, 2009, 02:42 PM
Fortunately Cline has been granted another year of eligibility. At least that's what our radio guys said.

Not surprising.....It seems like AE has been there about 10 years. He really is a senior this year, right? Please tell me he is:)

UCABEARS75
November 16th, 2009, 02:45 PM
True, but there's zero comparison in physical ability between Robbie Park and Tyler Beatty...plus Tyler already has a conference skin on the wall which happens to be UCA. He won't replace Babin's leadership, but he'll give us the added dimension of mobility and ability the throw the ball vertically down field. We'll look a little different in what we do, but I'm confident we'll be a good offensive football team next year with Beatty running things.

Agreed, no comparison.

I would take Beatty going into next year in a heart beat.

mcveyrl
November 16th, 2009, 03:01 PM
Pretty sure that we're going H-H-A-A to let you guys have us in Harrisonburg once your stadium looks prettier. That's what I've heard, at least.

I had heard the same, but was hoping we'd go back to HAHA. That would really stink as it would leave us at Liberty and at VMI and only five home games again.

DG Cowboy
November 16th, 2009, 03:16 PM
I know someone knows more than I do regarding absolutely no one getting any QB experience at McNeese for next year. Surely they are not all redshirts except Fourroux and Lasseigne?

Is there a JC or FBS QB in the picture? The Jarrett Lee talk makes me nervous.

Uncle Buck
November 16th, 2009, 03:16 PM
Hofstra will return a lot of youth on both sides and at key positions. Hopefully a few people like Head Coach Dave Cohen, Offensive Coordinator Dave Patenaude and Special Teams Coach Lyle Hemphill don't return!

DG Cowboy
November 16th, 2009, 03:38 PM
Hofstra will return a lot of youth on both sides and at key positions. Hopefully a few people like Head Coach Dave Cohen, Offensive Coordinator Dave Patenaude and Special Teams Coach Lyle Hemphill don't return!

Do you ever wonder if a college team with no coaches, a la sandlot, could do better than with coaches? Just a wild thought sometimes!

Redbird Ray
November 16th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Illinois State 2010 FCS National Champions.

That's right, choke on it SIU, Appy, Montana, Nova, JMU, UNI, Delaware, New Hampshire etc.

xnodx

Green and Yellow
November 16th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Illinois State 2010 FCS National Champions.

That's right, choke on it SIU, Appy, Montana, Nova, JMU, UNI, Delaware, New Hampshire etc.

xnodx

Ha Ha Ha
xlolx xlolx xlolx

Glad you have a sense of humor!

Uncle Buck
November 16th, 2009, 06:25 PM
Do you ever wonder if a college team with no coaches, a la sandlot, could do better than with coaches? Just a wild thought sometimes!

Honestly, yes! I swear it, I could find 10 people who sit near me at home games who could call a better game that this coaching staff.

BDKJMU
November 16th, 2009, 07:47 PM
Our biggest losses will be on D. We're losing both corners: McGee, who has improved a great deal, and Jamaris Sanders (who had a strip and a TD against UMass). We also lose two of our best DL, Moats and Daniels. I think those are the only starters we lose, though.

On O, our biggest loss is probably Dorian Brooks on the OL. We lose some targets for Thorpe/Dudzik in McCarter (probably the biggest of the skill players) and Caussin (close second). Neither have been a huge factor since Thorpe came in, although McCarter had a good game against UD (he also fumbled a TD and dropped sure fire TD against UMass). We also lose Boscoe Williams, but he's been pretty quiet after coming back from injury this year.

I think we'll be a borderline playoff team next year. A lot depends on the QB situation and what happens there. If Thorpe continues to mature you'd have to think he's the front-runner, but it's hard not to give Dudzik a fair shot too.

EDIT: From a scheduling standpoint we will have to go to 'Nova and UR, but have UD and W&M at home. I THINK we are at UNH with N'eastern and URI coming here, which is actually good for us since we only have to go to the Northeast once.

Only lose 1 starting corner. McGee. Cuffee started the 1st 7 games, got an ankle injury late in the Nova game, missed UD and Maine. Played last week vs UMass.

-Probably losing the 6 best players on the team for their respective positions

Bottom line is:
-8 starters slated to return on defense (losing McGee, Moats, and Daniels (unfortunately probably the 3 best players on defense).
-7 (of 11) starters slated to return on offense: lose AA Brooks at OG (a likely 2nd day draft pick), the worst starting o-lineman (any JMU fan knows who this is), McCarter, and Caussin. Unfortunately that's probably the 3 best players on offense for their respective positions along with the worst.

No I-A on schedule. I'm thinking 8-3 is a good possibility. If pick up a I-A then maybe 7-4. Either way should be good enough to make the expanded playoffs.

Will be loaded for 2011 in time for the opening of JMU's 52 million stadium expansion from 15.5 to 24.5k. Should only start 4-6 seniors next yr (depending on Dudzik or Thorpe and who starts at TB). Will likely be only 1 senior on 2 deep defense next yr- current starting DT Ronnell Brown. Half the starters and the majority of the 2 deep right now are freshman and sophomores.

Won't likely be a contender for the CAA title or NC next yr. Will likely be in 2011.

BDKJMU
November 16th, 2009, 07:50 PM

Agreed.

mcveyrl
November 16th, 2009, 08:18 PM
Only lose 1 starting corner. McGee. Cuffee started the 1st 7 games, got an ankle injury late in the Nova game, missed UD and Maine. Played last week vs UMass.

-Probably losing the 6 best players on the team for their respective positions

Bottom line is:
-8 starters slated to return on defense (losing McGee, Moats, and Daniels (unfortunately probably the 3 best players on defense).
-7 (of 11) starters slated to return on offense: lose AA Brooks at OG (a likely 2nd day draft pick), the worst starting o-lineman (any JMU fan knows who this is), McCarter, and Caussin. Unfortunately that's probably the 3 best players on offense for their respective positions along with the worst.

No I-A on schedule. I'm thinking 8-3 is a good possibility. If pick up a I-A then maybe 7-4. Either way should be good enough to make the expanded playoffs.

Will be loaded for 2011 in time for the opening of JMU's 52 million stadium expansion from 15.5 to 24.5k. Should only start 4-6 seniors next yr (depending on Dudzik or Thorpe and who starts at TB). Will likely be only 1 senior on 2 deep defense next yr- current starting DT Ronnell Brown. Half the starters and the majority of the 2 deep right now are freshman and sophomores.

Won't likely be a contender for the CAA title or NC next yr. Will likely be in 2011.

Yea, I forgot about Cuffee. I questioned whether to include the worst starting lineman, but I know who you're talking about. And I couldn't agree more about '11. I'm pumped about that.

katstrapper
November 16th, 2009, 09:50 PM
Hopefully the pain and suffering of the Todd Whitten era will end for SHSU in 2010.... Kats graduate 27 seniors in 2009 and will be looking at a massive rebuilding task of this program. Coach Whitten has managed to take a team that was knocking on the championship door just 5 years ago and turned it into a below average program.

Sam Houston can only hope that Athletic Director Bobby Williams will find the right person for the job.

B&G
November 16th, 2009, 10:22 PM
Not surprising.....It seems like AE has been there about 10 years. He really is a senior this year, right? Please tell me he is:)

It is. However he is going to wear a fake mustache and re-enroll as freshman Armando Eduardo, his cousin from Guatemala.

ngineer
November 16th, 2009, 10:54 PM
Lehigh will have 17/22 starters back, 10/11 on offense, losing only a tackle. Special teams players are all underclassmen. Plus we may have some defensive players getting medical redshirts. In short, we will have a very veteran ball club and anything less than a PL title will be disappointing. We will have a good OOC schedule...a long opening trip to Drake, though we'll be favored, a long trip like that, for the first game, could be a problem. OOC games then follow with Villanova and New Hampshire sandwiched around Princeton, I think. UNH and Princeton would also be away. Whether HC Coen is still around is anyone's guess right now pending #145 on Saturday. Regardless, there is a lot of talent in the cupboard. Question is whether it can learn to win.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 17th, 2009, 02:12 AM
One must look at matriculation in terms of graduation and academic failures. We won't know the latter until later in the year. I imagine many teams will lose 1-2 players unexpectedly.